Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation Thread: What Will Be Included, What Won't Be

(edited)

So now that we know this show will be sticking around for at least another year, I was thinking about what might get included in this iteration of the original, and what you think is getting left out.

Adam definitely seems to be in, but the reveal and the circumstances will probably be different. Kind of hoping they leave out Amanda though- it seems like her character was a wash and age-wise it wouldn't work. Per the story given in this iteration, Alexis was only banished about 10 or 11 years ago when Fallon was in her mid-teens. You can't have Amanda show up as a young woman.

I do think it's safe to say that Sam won't be having Stephen's son, although it's possible that Stephen could have gotten Kelly Rutherford pregnant. I mean, highly unlikely given that the woman has to be like 50, but possible if they want Danny to happen.

This version of Cristal really doesn't seem to be interested in being a mother so I can see the baby rabies plot (i.e. Krystle's desperation to become a mother after Alexis causes her miscarriage) not happening. In general, I can see this show just forgoing adding another generation. Josh Schwartz really doesn't seem to be big on adding little kids to his soaps.

I also can't really see this show having Jeff be Fallon's one true love like the original Dynasty did. This version of Jeff just went too far and I can't see Fallon having anything to do with this guy. It's kind of a shame though- Original Jeff Colby was hot as hell (he looked like a shorter 80's version of Armie Hammer) and he had a great Taming of the Shrew vibe with Fallon. This Jeff just doesn't work for me.

It is kind of interesting to see what they're keeping, what they're modifying, and what they're chucking out altogether in this version of the show.

Edited by kariyaki
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

..... it's possible that Stephen could have gotten Kelly Rutherford pregnant. I mean, highly unlikely given that the woman has to be like 50, but possible if they want Danny to happen......

It seems more likely that we will suddenly learn that the Senator and his wife have a 9-year-old son.  Otherwise, it made little sense for Kelly Rutherford to drop the line about sexing up Steven a decade ago.  I suppose we could get a time-jump for Season Two, but a pregnancy has to last at least 6 months......   Maybe we will get both?

The only reason Danny existed was because Steven "died" and I think Blake had a psychic telling him that a part of him was still alive. Sammy Jo was off screen throughout this pregnancy and showed up with Danny after he was born.

If they bring in Danny, he might just be adopted. 

I don't know if this version will be Alexis vs Krystal. Most of the catfights have Fallon included with her going up against Alexis in the pool just recently. 

Oh yeah, Jeff was really hot :( I like creative changes they take and that Krystal isn't a typical good blond wife. I like that they're not wasting our time and resolving mysteries quickly, I was shocked to see Mathew gone so soon and Claudia as well. I wonder though if this version isn't Alexis vs Krystal than what would it be? Alexis vs who? I don't believe it'd Fallon, Alexis is her mother after all so they won't go too villainy on them. Actually I don't really see much for Alexis to do, just being a troublemaker popping here and there. After all, the new Dynasty lost its villains and morally grey characters. There needs to be some action so here come Alexis.

8 hours ago, tabularasa said:

I like creative changes they take and that Krystal isn't a typical good blond wife.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she won't get baby rabies like the original one did. It really seemed like Crystle was only motivated by being with Blake, and having his child.

16 hours ago, nilyank said:

The only reason Danny existed was because Steven "died" and I think Blake had a psychic telling him that a part of him was still alive. Sammy Jo was off screen throughout this pregnancy and showed up with Danny after he was born.

And the only reason they "killed" Steven off was because Al Corley really wasn't cool with whiplashy way Steven was being written due to the network having cold feet on the character being gay.

A lot of Steven's storylines have to change because of the fact that he's an openly gay man in this version who has accepted himself, and Sammy Jo is now Sammy Joe.

I think actual Adam with the right DNA is in fact completely dead.  There can only be so many nine fingered men running around.  Unless, Matthew is Adam.  That would be awkward, and angry. If Matthew doesn't do anything criminal in the season finale (and since this is a spoiler speculation thread I am not hiding this:) and isn't resurrected for the purpose of doing a Matthew's return from the dead/Moldavia mash up, it might work... the conflict between father and son, with a little hey, I know yer missus built in. 

I also think to resolve any residual (albeit reduced) ick from Jeff and Fallon's cousin fucking festival, Jeff dies as the result of some variation of season ending cliffhanger violence.  The character didn't really catch fire and I don't know where he has to go.  If he doesn't die, when Dominique returns it turns out he isn't her son.... maybe Cecil sired him with someone else and Dominique raised him.... but I don't think they will let the Jeff Fallon thing stay creepy.  It's rude. 

I also think Blake will be shot and his scenes in a coma will be indistinguishable from any of his work in any epsiode this whole season.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2018 at 10:16 AM, Big Blue Plate said:

I think actual Adam with the right DNA is in fact completely dead.  There can only be so many nine fingered men running around.

After watching the finale, I think I'm with you. Alexis seems like she knows that Adam is dead, and that is why she is okay with having someone else impersonate her son. If she really believed Adam was alive, she wouldn't have used a fake.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:16 AM, Big Blue Plate said:

I also think Blake will be shot and his scenes in a coma will be indistinguishable from any of his work in any epsiode this whole season.

Well, instead Cristal was shot. I'm guessing it will turn out that she was really pregnant and thus starts Cristal's baby rabies. I will be impressed, however, if the show decides that Cristal and Blake should not procreate and don't give her kids. But it feels like as soon as a woman says she doesn't want kids, boom, she's pregnant. And with Cristal now being well within her childbearing years instead of nearing the end like OG Crystle was, it's hard to think she won't end up pregnant.

Danny sounds like he's officially in, although I still find it really hard to buy Kelly Rutherford as a woman who is still within her childbearing years. It's not impossible, but man is it unlikely.

Steven might get the disfigurement/plastic surgery/recast.

Fallon and Jeff having a baby seems like it's completely out of the question unless they aren't really cousins, so them having two kids doesn't seem like it's going to happen here. And Michael seems like he's supposed to be Fallon's OTP here instead of Jeff.

Kirby's in, but it seems like she's a rebellious sociopath instead of the saintly type meant to redeem a bad man like she was on the original.

spoilers!

Off the first season’s shocking finale and fatal fire, the resilient Carringtons will rise from the ashes to redefine themselves after a major personal loss, as well as the sale of their family’s company.Determined to prove herself the savior of their empire, the cunning and charismatic Fallon (Elizabeth Gillies) will attempt to rebrand her family’s dynasty, but a twenty-five year old in charge of liquid billions just might turn out to be a disastrous combination. Almost as disastrous as Fallon’s romances… She finds herself falling in love with a man whose family is wealthier and crazier than her own and of whom Blake (Grant Show) does not approve. Nor does Alexis (Nicollette Sheridan), who will find new ways to meddle in her daughter’s life as only a mother can. Meanwhile, the rivalry between the Colbys and Carringtons heats up, and the families embark on Atlanta’s most outrageous pissing contest, causing new Colbys to come out of the woodwork, namely Blake’s stepsister, the iconic Dominique Deveraux, and the arrival of Anders’ (Alan Dale) daughter threatens to shake things up when she unpacks her trunk-load of secrets about the Carrington family.Despite all of these rocky relationships, and even more surprise guests slated to rear their heads in Season Two, the Carringtons will once again prove that blood is thicker than oil, and that there’s nothing like the diamond-encrusted ties that bind. 

• Love 1

Wait, wouldn't Dominique be Blake's half-sister? Or is she separate from the Colbys? I thought they were making Dominique the mother to Jeff and his sister.

The show has proven that they aren't following the template to the tee (making Jeff a Carrington cousin permanently separates Fallon from OG Fallon who bore two of his kids) so I am honestly excited in seeing where they're going.

We already know that Kirby isn't saintly like OG Kirby was. If Real Adam is truly dead, I wonder what her arc is going to be, since Kirby's character arc seemed to be about redeeming Bad Boy Adam. I could go for AnnaSophia Robb. She doesn't get to play the bad girl much and I'd love to see her play that. Her being an alumnus of a Schwartz show does increase her chances.

I wonder if Cristal will get sidelined in s2 as well as stephen. No mention of either of them and not much for them to do... they gave away spoilers about Liam and Fallon, they sooo wanted the fans to get what they want!

1 hour ago, tabularasa said:

I wonder if Cristal will get sidelined in s2 as well as stephen. No mention of either of them and not much for them to do... they gave away spoilers about Liam and Fallon, they sooo wanted the fans to get what they want!

Well I don't want that. I want Liam to be Adam.

• Love 2

Me too. Can the season 2 description be misleading? "falling in love with..." full blown out romance excludes him being Adam. I think writers intended for Liam to be Adam but they might changed their mind after seeing the fanbase' reaction. Or maybe not?

On 6/9/2018 at 2:40 PM, nilyank said:

I wonder if Cristal will get sidelined in s2 as well as stephen. No mention of either of them and not much for them to do

I'm pretty sure we're not getting much because both of their fates were left up in the air after the cliffhanger.

Nathalie Kelley isn't coming back for season 2, according to an interview with E! News Australia.

"I know that I end up with a gunshot wound and in a fire at the end of season 1, and I know that I won't be filming season 2."

Whether that means Cristal is officially dead, however, is up for debate.

"I won't be returning for season 2...I don't know storyline[-wise] what they'll do. Is it a coma? Is it death? Is it who knows? I actually don't know," Nathalie says. "But I know that I'm not going to Atlanta in July, that I'm staying here [in L.A.], and I've got my life back."

I, too, am curious if they'll sideline Cristal to the hospital. I don't think they'd outright kill her off, but it's not as though the show hasn't switched up the formula before. But who will wear all of the blush, nude, and white costumes? 

18 minutes ago, uncanny said:

Nathalie Kelley isn't coming back for season 2, according to an interview with E! News Australia.

I, too, am curious if they'll sideline Cristal to the hospital. I don't think they'd outright kill her off, but it's not as though the show hasn't switched up the formula before. But who will wear all of the blush, nude, and white costumes? 

That's....a really odd choice. Did they really decide to get rid of Cristal for Alexis? I know Alexis staying was always inevitable, but I didn't expect Cristal to be pushed away for it to happen...unless Cristal is just sidelined in the hospital and will return at some point. But it doesn't sound like Nathalie knows if she's coming back, or has even been told.

I guess the other possibility is that she's flat out lying and there's a huge storyline for her that she can't reveal. 

Maybe they did a focus group and, if the opinions from it were anything like the ones in this forum, there was likely a lot of positive feedback about Alexis and not so much for Cristal.

13 hours ago, uncanny said:

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's....a really odd choice. Did they really decide to get rid of Cristal for Alexis? I know Alexis staying was always inevitable, but I didn't expect Cristal to be pushed away for it to happen...unless Cristal is just sidelined in the hospital and will return at some point. But it doesn't sound like Nathalie knows if she's coming back, or has even been told.

I guess the other possibility is that she's flat out lying and there's a huge storyline for her that she can't reveal. 

I hope it's true that she's gone and not coming back. The actress was terrible, the character was poorly written, and she was just all-around annoying.

5 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I wonder if they will introduce a real Krystal Jennings.  By the last few episodes, everyone was sarcastically calling her Celia Machado.  

They could do a recast on Cristal as well. Re-reading Nathalie's statement, her whole "I have my life back" line sounds like there's some behind the scenes drama between her and the producers. So they could bring Cristal back...with a different actress. It doesn't sound like Nathalie wants to return to the show, anyway. Not that it's a shame, since the actress isn't very good.

8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

They could do a recast on Cristal as well. Re-reading Nathalie's statement, her whole "I have my life back" line sounds like there's some behind the scenes drama between her and the producers. So they could bring Cristal back...with a different actress. It doesn't sound like Nathalie wants to return to the show, anyway. Not that it's a shame, since the actress isn't very good.

I interpreted the “I have my life back” as she gets to stay in L.A. with her friends and family, as opposed to having to spend half the year away from them across the country in Atlanta. This is a common complaint from actors whose shows film down in the southeast i.e. Vampire Diaries, Dawson’s Creek. So I’m really not reading that there’s any producer drama, I just don’t think she liked living there. 

Just now, kariyaki said:

I interpreted the “I have my life back” as she gets to stay in L.A. with her friends and family, as opposed to having to spend half the year away from them across the country in Atlanta. This is a common complaint from actors whose shows film down in the southeast i.e. Vampire Diaries, Dawson’s Creek. So I’m really not reading that there’s any producer drama, I just don’t think she liked living there. 

Probably true. I guess the line to end the interview on is so incredibly odd and kind of unnecessary. Also, it makes it sound like she was forced to move to Atlanta and she grew bitter that she had to stay there for so many months. I mean, she's worked in Atlanta before. TVD, I'm pretty sure, filmed there in the last season that Nathalie was in. So she did know what she was getting into when she took the role. 

I guess it could go either way. I don't know much about Nathalie so I can't determine whether it was a choice she made, or whether the producers made it for her. 

NK did just make an Instagram post about her departure (and it sounds like they're not even recasting CC, though her uncertainty with CC's future in the above interview makes it sound like they might) and it does sound like she may not have enjoyed Dynasty that much. She doesn't seem that upset over leaving. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Probably true. I guess the line to end the interview on is so incredibly odd and kind of unnecessary. Also, it makes it sound like she was forced to move to Atlanta and she grew bitter that she had to stay there for so many months. I mean, she's worked in Atlanta before. TVD, I'm pretty sure, filmed there in the last season that Nathalie was in. So she did know what she was getting into when she took the role. 

She didn't spend a whole lot of time on Vampire Diaries, so it's not really the same grind as an entire season. She could've gotten through this first Dynasty season thinking, "what did I get myself into, I'm contracted for six more years of this?"

And there's also the possibility that they hadn't decided on the Atlanta location until after she'd taken the role.

As wooden as she is, I started to like Nathalie Kelley in the role. I thought if her season 2 storyline went the coma route they could expand Alexis' development and ultimately bring Cristal back. Blake would then have to woo her again after the terrible way they left things in the last couple of episodes. If they're recasting, who would you suggest to replace Nathalie Kelley? Maybe Danielle Alonso or Stephanie Sigman?

Unrelated, but I'm curious and excited which actress would be best suited to take on Dominique Devereaux. I think it needs to be someone recognizable like Nicolette Sheridan. Vanessa Williams immediately comes to mind but I could also see Vivica A. Fox, Garcelle Beauvais, Jada Pinkett Smith, Michael Michele, or even Robin Givens getting courted from Riverdale

• Love 1

To be honest I started liking Cristal, in the end she became more kickass. Also who would tell about adam being not adam? The new characters are coming but for me this season can be all over the place. Is Fallon strong enough to carry the show? 

(edited)

I kind of liked how Cristal was at the ending.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:17 AM, Lady Calypso said:

NK did just make an Instagram post about her departure (and it sounds like they're not even recasting CC, though her uncertainty with CC's future in the above interview makes it sound like they might) and it does sound like she may not have enjoyed Dynasty that much. She doesn't seem that upset over leaving. 

I don't blame her. I wouldn't be surprised if she never clicked with the other cast members, and again, the show's ratings are terrible. If I had to be away from my home and filming a t.v. show with people I can't stand that wasn't doing much to advance my career, I wouldn't be very happy. I can't imagine that being a pleasant experience, especially when it became clear that Cristal was being sidelined for the Fallon and Alexis Show. Maybe that's why NK just went for it in the "destroying clothes" scene- venting out her frustration about what happened with this show and knowing that this was basically it for her.

I'm genuinely curious to see how everything's going to shake out when season 2 starts. The retooling feels like it's going to be big.

It does make me think that they aren't going to recast Steven, though. He's boring but he does have nice sibling chemistry with Fallon, so there's always that.

Edited by methodwriter85

So if Fallon is gonna fall for Liam then where does that leave Michael? I guess another Black dude is gonna get the shaft for a white guy, that's become a very CW thing to do. I just hope that Michael doesn't get the James from Supergirl treatment.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mommalib said:

So if Fallon is gonna fall for Liam then where does that leave Michael? I guess another Black dude is gonna get the shaft for a white guy, that's become a very CW thing to do. I just hope that Michael doesn't get the James from Supergirl treatment.

Regardless of who Fallon chooses, I don't think it's about race because the girl does NOT see color since she's been bouncing around between two "black dudes".

• Love 1
16 hours ago, MsTree said:

Regardless of who Fallon chooses, I don't think it's about race because the girl does NOT see color since she's been bouncing around between two "black dudes".

I'm not talking fictional i'm talking real life. Real people make these decisions and I can't help but be suspicious.

Looks like the real Cristal Flores, whose identity was stolen by Celia Machado, will be a cast member in season 2. That's an interesting wrinkle and would add some major tension if Nathalie Kelley were to return in some capacity. This Cristal will be played by Ana Brenda Contreras, according to Deadline. Apparently the decision to go in a new direction for the character was made mid-season and Kelley's departure announcement came as a surprise to network execs.

“We were a little surprised she spoiled the surprise,” the CW president Mark Pedowitz said of Kelley’s comments, noting that “we have plans for other characters too. (Showrunner) Sallie (Patrick) has fun twist and turns in store.”

Asked for the reason for the recasting Pedowitz said, “it’s a wild soap, these are things you do on a soap.” He said the decision to have a different Cristal was made in midseason.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, uncanny said:

Looks like the real Cristal Flores, whose identity was stolen by Celia Machado, will be a cast member in season 2. That's an interesting wrinkle and would add some major tension if Nathalie Kelley were to return in some capacity. This Cristal will be played by Ana Brenda Contreras, according to Deadline. Apparently the decision to go in a new direction for the character was made mid-season and Kelley's departure announcement came as a surprise to network execs.

I'm confused. Was Nathalie Kelley going to be fired anyway and recast the part? It sounds like it. (I guess Cristal would have needed extensive plastic surgery after the fire.)  If the "fake" Cristal is gone, then so what if the "real" Cristal Flores shows up? There's no drama of the impostor & and real person.

I agree that it is confusing.  We pretty much know the backstory (ie that Celia Machado assumed a new identity, dragging along her nephew/sister/not-dead brother in law).  They all are Machados (?)  That makes sense.  If the plot point is to create the *real* Cristal, who arrives on the scene to reclaim her identity, then all makes sense.  Sam remains Celia's nephew and not Cristal's.    Of course no Carrington would know the real Cristal. And the real Cristal would have no claim on anything Carrington.  Where's the drama?   

Maybe Alexis found the real Cristal and had intended for her to wreak havoc in the mansion.  That's no longer necessary, but Cristal may like expensive things and pursues (yawn) Grant (yawn) Show.

Arguably, introducing the real Cristal is not a bad plot twist.  We do still have to meet "Mark Jennings" at some point.  Perhaps he could be linked to the Carringtons and that is what brings Cristal onto the scene.

I'm all for making it as convoluted as crazy possible.

I'm still disappointed that they didn't make Kirby Anders a hot stud to cause drama/excitement between Samuel and Wet Blanket.

• Love 1

I really don't like all the changes they're making to this show. I enjoyed Nathalie Kelley's portrayal of Cristal. I thought she had great chemistry with her co-stars - Blake and Fallon. I really dislike the idea of this new bland Richie Rich LI they're bringing for Fallon when they never properly explored her relationship with Matthew, or even Jeff for that matter. And it's clear that these changes are made specifically to "whiten" the show. Which is a mistake, IMO. And not just on ethical/"representation matters" grounds. I think it's a mistake on a "you're throwing out all the things that gave your show an edge, and it's about to get lost in the sea of generic "rich white people" shows".

I'm confused. Was Nathalie Kelley going to be fired anyway and recast the part? It sounds like it. (I guess Cristal would have needed extensive plastic surgery after the fire.)  If the "fake" Cristal is gone, then so what if the "real" Cristal Flores shows up? There's no drama of the impostor & and real person.

I'm very confused.  It's not like the "real" Cristal has a claim to anything the fake Cristal did.  I mean, if an identity thief gets married, the person whose identity was stolen isn't suddenly legally married as well.      

• Love 3
(edited)
On 8/8/2018 at 10:21 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'm very confused.  It's not like the "real" Cristal has a claim to anything the fake Cristal did.  I mean, if an identity thief gets married, the person whose identity was stolen isn't suddenly legally married as well.      

I feel like this is exactly what the show is going to pretend happens. Wacky 90's sitcom hijink, y'all! It'll be just like that episode of Full House where DJ and Jesse discover that they accidentally married two Greek people because of wacky Greek traditions.

I'm going to be that real Cristal Flores tried to get a marriage certificate or whatever, only to be told that she was already married. Or her hysterical parents called her up, wondering why they were notified that she was in a hospital in a coma with a gunshot wound.

On 8/6/2018 at 9:22 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

I'm still disappointed that they didn't make Kirby Anders a hot stud to cause drama/excitement between Samuel and Wet Blanket.

That was a lost opportunity for sure. It's like the show wants a gay couple for the brownie points, but they don't want them to be dynamic or interesting or sexually magnetic.  I really don't get the point of a female Kirby especially since they don't have Adam. Adam had this whole Beauty and the Beast vibe with Kirby on the original and that seemed to be the only thing that character had going for her.

Although if Schwartz manages to cast either Lindsay Gort or AnnaSophia Robb I'd be totally down for it. Willa Holland also seems available now.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'm happy kelley isnt coming back, she played kristal as smug and unlikable.  The new actress coming in is known in the telenovela world as playing the heroine...and I've seen a few of those telenovelas and she's quite good at playing the good girl with an edge.  

My only request for season 2 is to slow the pace down a little..let the characters breath and not rely so much on plot twists.

I gave some SERIOUS side eye at the bit where Cristal called herself a better mother to Stephen and Fallon. I was like, "Bitch, you and Stephen look like the same damn age. Neither of them are ever going to think of you as Mom." Cristal just never really seemed like a good person, just someone who claimed to be.

IMO, Cristal was more caring and supporting towards Stephen and Fallon in the few months she was their stepmom than either their manipulative parent was. She went out of her way to support and promote Stephen's campaign, and despite all her spats with Fallon, it was still Cristal having her back when her father was forcing her into an unwanted marriage. While I can understand (if not agree) with faulting her relationship with Blake, I never saw anything negative in the way she treated her step-children.

Anti-Cristal(ism?)  always surprises me. I get the impression that there's a desire to assume the worst of her, actual facts notwithstanding. I still remember when it was speculated that she'd have an affair with Fallon's boyfriend ---- because she comforted him during his father's illness/eventual death?! ? I can only guess that it's stereotyping from the actress's first big role being a villainess in Vampire Diaries. Other than race, I can't think of any reason why she garnered so much dislike. 

Edited by ursula
On 8/7/2018 at 10:16 AM, ursula said:

I really don't like all the changes they're making to this show. I enjoyed Nathalie Kelley's portrayal of Cristal. I thought she had great chemistry with her co-stars - Blake and Fallon. I really dislike the idea of this new bland Richie Rich LI they're bringing for Fallon when they never properly explored her relationship with Matthew, or even Jeff for that matter. And it's clear that these changes are made specifically to "whiten" the show. Which is a mistake, IMO. And not just on ethical/"representation matters" grounds. I think it's a mistake on a "you're throwing out all the things that gave your show an edge, and it's about to get lost in the sea of generic "rich white people" shows".

Damn I was hoping they would actually write a relationship for Micheal and Fallon but this is the CW so I should have known better,  I haven't been paying attention but will Michael even survive the fire ?

• Love 1

According to a story in "TV Guide," when the show premieres next week: "...Blake discovers a family member is an imposter! Hint: Wife Cristal, played by Nathalie Kelley in Season 1, has been recast." But they already knew that Cristal was an imposter, or are they just going to ignore that rather large plot point from season 1? Maybe the fire gave everyone amnesia.

1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

According to a story in "TV Guide," when the show premieres next week: "...Blake discovers a family member is an imposter! Hint: Wife Cristal, played by Nathalie Kelley in Season 1, has been recast." But they already knew that Cristal was an imposter, or are they just going to ignore that rather large plot point from season 1? Maybe the fire gave everyone amnesia.

Does he think "Adam" is his son what with the missing finger.

3 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Does he think "Adam" is his son what with the missing finger.

Maybe, but I thought Blake had figured out that Adam was fake. In any event, "Adam" took off with crazy Claudia at the end.