Type keyword(s) to search

Dirty John in the Media: Beyond the LA Times

• Start Topic

On 9/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Plus, there's no con in the Betty Broderick story, really.  Things went toxic but it's not like she had a history of it from what I recall.  

Wasn’t there 2 movies about it ? I recall in the movie her saying dans new wife just “ stepped “ into her new life. Really sad stuff.

• Love 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Plus, there's no con in the Betty Broderick story, really.  Things went toxic but it's not like she had a history of it from what I recall.  

Wasn’t there 2 movies about it ? I recall in the movie her saying dans new wife just “ stepped “ into her new life. Really sad stuff.

Sorta.  It was a two-part movie with Meredith Baxter playing Betty.  She was FLAWLESS in that role.  Stephen Collins, who played Dan, also was very good--a tall handsome confident debonair lawyer.

Christian Slater and Amanda Peet are woefully miscast.  She's too thin and manic and Slater looks like a tiny weasely lawyer who nobody would kill to keep!

• Love 5

Sorta.  It was a two-part movie with Meredith Baxter playing Betty.  She was FLAWLESS in that role.  Stephen Collins, who played Dan, also was very good--a tall handsome confident debonair lawyer.

There were two different movies.  The first one came out in March 1992 and was about the lead up to the murder.  My understanding was the first movie did very well ratings wise, so they decided to do a sequel. 

The second movie aired in November 1992 and was about her two trials.  You can tell there wasn't meant to be a second movie because the first one ends with a written epilogue discussing the trials and their outcome.   

Some S2 stuff!

Trailer

Who am I?

The truth

Challenges

Behind the scenes - normal people

Behind the scenes - 80s style

Behind the scenes - point of no return

What went wrong?

Sneak peek - I'm not crazy

Sneak peek - the grocery store

Mini documentary - the Broderick Files

This is a 5:30 video taken when filming of the first movie had started. Meredith makes a comment that really hit me. She talks about learning about Betty to play her in the show and wondered if things would have turned out differently if Betty had something else in her life, other than being a wife and a mother.

This is a sixteen minute video by a psychologist who discusses the case. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Christina said:

This is a 5:30 video taken when filming of the first movie had started. Meredith makes a comment that really hit me. She talks about learning about Betty to play her in the show and wondered if things would have turned out differently if Betty had something else in her life, other than being a wife and a mother.

This is a sixteen minute video by a psychologist who discusses the case. 

Thanks, both are very interesting!

Ironic, isn't it, that Stephen Collins played Dan, given that Stephen Collins was later accused of inappropriate conduct with minors.

I also really appreciated the video by the psychologist, Dr. Grande.  He brought up Betty possibly having Borderline Personality Disorder, which is what I keep thinking.  BPD wasn't as widely diagnosed or understood in the '80's, but I do think it fits.

• Love 4

A 5:21 interview with Slater and Peet. 

Peet mentions the sexism in that time period and how Betty's contribution to the family was not given the appropriate consideration in court and Slater says that Dan received a sadistic pleasure in how he treated Betty and how he felt justified in his behaviors. 

In my opinion, that can be said for all three of them, Dan, Betty and Linda all received a sadistic pleasure in how they treated each other and they all thought they were justified in their behaviors.

• Love 4

In one of these threads someone asked about an Oprah interview and since I watched it recently, I thought I'd link. However, I read that post a whole two minutes ago and now have no idea where I read it. It's been a long week:

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The Snapped episode is on YouTube.  I  haven't watched it because I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Oxygen's true crime shows and am not in the mood to yell at my TV today, so I can't say if it's worth watching or not.

• Love 1
On 7/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, Christina said:

A 5:21 interview with Slater and Peet. 

Peet mentions the sexism in that time period and how Betty's contribution to the family was not given the appropriate consideration in court and Slater says that Dan received a sadistic pleasure in how he treated Betty and how he felt justified in his behaviors. 

In my opinion, that can be said for all three of them, Dan, Betty and Linda all received a sadistic pleasure in how they treated each other and they all thought they were justified in their behaviors.

I thought Peet and Slater gave great performances and wondered about their thoughts portraying Dan and Betty. Thanks for this link.

On a shallow note, props to both Peet and Slater challenging this outstanding interviewer on her opening line opining about her "remembering this case when it happened".🤣

• Love 1

Does anyone know where I can watch this season? I just remembered that I had wanted to watch this, but the USA app and my satellite app only have episodes 1-3. Amazon Prime has it for sale, but I’m not paying $16 for this show.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, JenE4 said:

Does anyone know where I can watch this season? I just remembered that I had wanted to watch this, but the USA app and my satellite app only have episodes 1-3. Amazon Prime has it for sale, but I’m not paying $16 for this show.

Good question. Netflix has the first season so they might show the 2nd at some point. It doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere else for no extra charge

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

Good question. Netflix has the first season so they might show the 2nd at some point. It doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere else for no extra charge

Netflix has all three seasons.

2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Netflix has all three seasons.

You mean on DVD? Netflix streaming only has the first season. And I think there are only 2 seasons. 

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

You mean on DVD? Netflix streaming only has the first season. And I think there are only 2 seasons. 

Well, apparently Was posting in a totally wrong forum 🙀

Probably should wait to post any more until I get home (had a lumbar spine fusion yesterday so that’s my excuse)

Sorry about that.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:12 AM, Stats Queen said:

Well, apparently Was posting in a totally wrong forum 🙀

Probably should wait to post any more until I get home (had a lumbar spine fusion yesterday so that’s my excuse)

Sorry about that.

Wishing you well on your recovery.

• Love 1
On 9/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, JenE4 said:

On 3/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, DanaK said:

An update! Netflix will be streaming Season 2 starting May 31 https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/04/21/new-netflix-may-2021-amy-adams-woman-window-selena/7299739002/

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I know the thread title is "Beyond the LA Times," but this story in the LA Times is really the only way I've been able to make sense of what I've just watched.

To watch this series, Betty was as model of charm and composure both publicly and privately up until the time she began to suspect Dan's affair with Linda. This did not ring true to me; I get that things escalated quickly past a certain point but based on my (limited) experience there is usually some kind of precedent before an escalation. To that end, I wasn't surprised to read some accounts of trouble in the past: locking Dan out of the house, hitting and emotionally manipulating the children, and getting all dressed up for an event and refusing to go. I feel like this was just barely touched-on in the series.

• Useful 3