• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Sterling said:

The real John Meehan!

image.png.9a4385cd69da0b56ec3e49aa97462409.png

Yeah, Eric Bana is way hotter.

23 hours ago, Sterling said:

Yes, Veronica = Jacqueline.

And Toby = Shad.

I remember listening to the podcast, wondering what kind of weird OC affect had them pronouncing Chad as Shad.  Because...who names their kid SHAD?

• Love 6
On 11/29/2018 at 11:48 AM, TexasGal said:

I started listening to the podcast this morning.  It's crazy how Debra still sounds all giggly and moony when she's talking about him.  Like, really lady?  I'd be pissed and embarrassed. 

On 12/8/2018 at 2:49 PM, lezlers said:

Right???  This is the main reason I will never NOT hate Debra.  I couldn't imagine in a million years sounding like that when describing the man who tried to murder my child.

Not that I'm defending Debra in any way, but just as a parallel example, when I watched Wild Wild Country, I was surprised at how many of the Rajneeshees still had stars in their eyes as they talked about him and clearly still revered him 30+ years later.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Not that I'm defending Debra in any way, but just as a parallel example, when I watched Wild Wild Country, I was surprised at how many of the Rajneeshees still had stars in their eyes as they talked about him and clearly still revered him 30+ years later.

I don't think they're the same at all.  I watched Wild Wild Country (GREAT documentary) and revering a leader who, at the height of his popularity, had hundreds of thousands of followers who worshipped him to a godlike level is a very different thing than fondly remembering the beginnings of your relationship with a man you  who tried to murder your own child.  The two things aren't even in the same stratosphere.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 9
On 12/9/2018 at 10:37 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Right???  This is the main reason I will never NOT hate Debra.  I couldn't imagine in a million years sounding like that when describing the man who tried to murder my child.

I loathe her with everything I have.  The red flags were early and evident and yet she ignored them and her children's warnings time after time after time in search of her fairy tale.  Remember she had been married 4 times before.  I have zero sympathy for a woman who is so ignorant that she ignores all the signs that she has brought a predator into her family.  I suppose I would be a little sympathetic if she, in hindsight, acknowledged that she had willingly behaved so carelessly in pursuit of her own fantasy, but she continues to cast blame everywhere but on herself, giggling all the way.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, nr65000 said:

I loathe her with everything I have.  The red flags were early and evident and yet she ignored them and her children's warnings time after time after time in search of her fairy tale.  Remember she had been married 4 times before.  I have zero sympathy for a woman who is so ignorant that she ignores all the signs that she has brought a predator into her family.  I suppose I would be a little sympathetic if she, in hindsight, acknowledged that she had willingly behaved so carelessly in pursuit of her own fantasy, but she continues to cast blame everywhere but on herself, giggling all the way.

I agree.  There were so many red flags she could have gone off on him about and didn't even question. One of the most recent was the safety deposit box. He told her he had taken the money out to invest it & she  goes along with it like it was only $10. She doesn't even question him why he did it without her knowledge considering most of the money was hers. Instead he flips it back to her on why she was checking out the contents of the box (without telling him ahead of time) & that he had the notification app to tell him when she was in the box. She didn't even question if that worked both ways - did she get to know when he was in the box? BTW,  I'm sure most of us realized he would have some sort of tracking device on the box even though she didn't.  Even his wanting of getting the safety deposit box should have triggered something with her.  

ETA:  Debra being trustworthy and giving out so much of her personal info to John at the beginning was unreal. For example giving John her home & work addresses &  telling him she had a daughter named Veronica.  No wonder Veronica was upset from the start when John told her that "Debra said she lived with her daughter Veronica, is that you?"  I'm sure John did a search on her as well as Debra. (Just my assumption. I don't know if or how well of a search he did, if any,  on Debra or Veronica. ) 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DrSparkles said:

I need to know why we can't find a single fact about any of her other 4 husbands online!!!

Spoiler

Me too.  Nor in the podcast.  I thought that was very odd.  Like, who is the father of each of the daughters?  And I think she has some other kids, is that right?  That was the one thing that was not made clear.

Edited by Sterling
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

@LADY OF NOD, the Dateline episode is discussed here but I don't see it linked - here you go. (Spoilers, obviously!)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It seemed every link I found had been ‘video removed’.  I was assuming that Dateline is looking to rerun it during prime time due to the current interest in the story.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It seemed every link I found had been ‘video removed’.  I was assuming that Dateline is looking to rerun it during prime time due to the current interest in the story.

I saw commercial on the Oxygen channel that they will be playing the Dateline episode mid January (I think.) I'll have to pay better attention & get all the details. 

• Love 2

"When she met John in 2014, Debra was 59—making her around 63 right now. She was raised by a youth pastor dad and a piano teacher mom, has been married a total of five times (including to John), and has four kids who she raised in the Orange County area of California."

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a25346652/debra-newell-dirty-john/

Emily Meehan Interview

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking everywhere for a version that doesn't stop syncing audio and video after the first commercial break. Every version I've seen online does this. Any suggestions? I just can't watch it with the audio and video out of sync.

Hmmm I hadn't noticed any sync issues but I was listening more than watching, The Dateline extreme-angle cinematography filler was just too much.

4 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Anybody know what Debra/John relationship time frame was? First date Beginning to Parking Lot end?

I believe they met in the fall (October?) 2014; the parking lot assault on Terra was August 2, 2016, and he died four days later. The podcast debuted October 2017.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm wondering why they decided to make Aarlane (Jean Smart) look so granny like & dowdy with her white hair & the way it was cut.  When they did the 20 year flashback, she had a  more modern stylish haircut & it was a nice shade of blonde.  Twenty years later, she looks like she's aged at least 30 years.  Her hair is a light blonde (?ash blonde)  and it was cut in a nice style for someone her age in the picture of the real Aarlene at the premiere.  

ETA: I'm not knocking anyone who has white hair or how their hair is cut.  My motto is to each his own when it comes to hair & clothing.  It just seems weird in the 20 year ago clips she looks modern & stylish & you would think she would have continued this look. 

• Love 4
On 12/22/2018 at 11:05 AM, Barb23 said:

It just seems weird in the 20 year ago clips she looks modern & stylish & you would think she would have continued this look. 

I’m guessing they overly aged her just to make her look more like she actually could be old enough to play Connie Britton’s mom—-isn’t there only a 15 year age difference between the two actresses in real life?

• Like 1
  • Love 6

No, they talked about it in the podcast.  I think they might have filled some details in for the show, but they definitely talked about the various scams e learned from his dad and him stealing the RV from his sister, etc.  It's possibly in the episode where they talk about him taking a plea deal that forced him to move out of CA.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 7

What happened with the sister in the end? Did she just walk away from the RV situation and not try to fight it, because she was realizing he had killed their father? I am guessing this is the same RV park that Ronnie visited in the beginning of the series.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Sooo this latest episode about John and his father and sister, was that all made up for the show?  Because I don't remember any of it. 

I think the podcast said John had two sisters and a brother.  I think the sister they showed was a composite of both sisters.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Here's the one with the most info on his childhood and siblings

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-dirty-john-filthy/

When the article talks about Debra's history of picking bad men (although it doesn't go in to detail) it says: Where other's see red flags, Debra sees a parade. That seems to sum her up in a nutshell. 

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 16

In one of the interviews, I can't remember if it was the live (bonus) LAT podcast or elsewhere, Debra says something to the effect of how she never would have gotten involved with him had she known he would threaten her children.

Except he DID threaten them: He made the 'joke' about shooting Ronnie/Jacquelyn, and made that sinister comment to the nephew making light of the murder of his mother (not a threat per se but certainly a threatening use of a horrible personal detail).

Now Tania says - I'm pretty sure this is in the live pod - that she understands Debra hasn't had the same time to heal from John that she (Tania) has had and while I thought that was a generous and kind thing to say... I just don't think Debra gets it, will ever get it, especially not with a history of abusive relationships. The red flags were legion with John Meehan and she repeatedly chose to ignore those flags/ally with him over her family and their well-being.

Edited by CaliCheeseSucks
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Now Tania says - I'm pretty sure this is in the live pod - that she understands Debra hasn't had the same time to heal from John that she (Tania) has had and while I thought that was a generous and kind thing to say... I just don't think Debra gets it, will ever get it, especially not with a history of abusive relationships. The red flags were legion with John Meehan and she repeatedly chose to ignore those flags/ally with him over her family and their well-being.

The other important thing is, John was a "normal", "nice" husband and father for about 10 years.  So for Tonia, she had 10+ years to spend with a "nice" guy who worked really hard putting himself through school to be a nurse anesthetist.  His horrible persona didn't emerge for her until many years into the marriage.  She was busy with her job plus raising 2 kids, so even if bad things were going on, she was just too busy to see it, and he put on this sweet face when she was home.

Debra didn't even have 10 weeks.  They got married in 8 weeks.  Yes, Debra ignored red flags, but she was so swept off her feet, and the flags came out much much sooner in their relationship than it did in John & Tonia's. 

I think John just honed his skills in the years past Tonia, which included focusing on the most empathic, sweetest targets, who he could treat just like he treated Debra.

Remember, they met on OurTime, which is a site aimed at ages 50+.  I've been on OurTime, and I can tell you, the dates are dreadful.  So to meet a John Meehan must have been amazing, at least on the surface.

John is a gaslighting, manipulative, Malignant Narcissist, and the first stage is Love Bomb/Idealize, which he was amazing at.  

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 10

Ann Rule, the true life crime writer, really needs to write a book about Dirty John digging deeply in the families histories. 

I've seen Dateline but haven't listened to the podcast yet so I'm not sure if my question has already been addressed.

Who raised Toby/Shad after the murder of his mother?  I thought his father served some time in prison.  Did he stay with Arlene or Debra or another family member?  Debra & the girls  seem to have a close relationship with him so I was thinking it could be her.

I think someone posted that Debra & Toby's close relationship seemed weird or abnormal.   It dioesn't seem that way to me.  My sister is very close to my adult son & always has been.  He was the first baby born among me, my sister & brother.  My sister was going through some rough patches in her life when he came along & he helped take her mind off things. That closeness & bond has just stuck. 

BTW, I see nothing wrong or different about the name Shad.  I live in Maryland & there is a park on our Eastern shore named Shad Landing, which am sure is named after the fish.  So this isn't a new name for me.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Ann Rule, the true life crime writer, really needs to write a book about Dirty John digging deeply in the families histories. 

I've seen Dateline but haven't listened to the podcast yet so I'm not sure if my question has already been addressed.

Who raised Toby/Shad after the murder of his mother?  I thought his father served some time in prison.  Did he stay with Arlene or Debra or another family member?  Debra & the girls  seem to have a close relationship with him so I was thinking it could be her.

I think someone posted that Debra & Toby's close relationship seemed weird or abnormal.   It dioesn't seem that way to me.  My sister is very close to my adult son & always has been.  He was the first baby born among me, my sister & brother.  My sister was going through some rough patches in her life when he came along & he helped take her mind off things. That closeness & bond has just stuck. 

BTW, I see nothing wrong or different about the name Shad.  I live in Maryland & there is a park on our Eastern shore named Shad Landing, which am sure is named after the fish.  So this isn't a new name for me.

Sadly, I believe Ann Rule past away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

Sadly, I believe Ann Rule past away.

I thought she might have passed.

I went thru a true crimes reading spurt years ago & read a lot of  her books.  

I think Dirty John would have been a great project for her but  I guess most of the story was already told by the newspaper reporter &  in the podcast. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

My best friend is married to a Shad.

I still think it's a dumb name.  There are a lot of people whose parents saddled them with dumb names out there.  Doesn't make them any less dumb.  Not that that's at all the point here.  ;)

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 2

In your opinion. And yes, I agree many names are stupid. I don't know yours, but, people may have the same sentiment. Apple, Zippedooda, and many other celebrity children names are stupid. That's the first time I've said that out loud. We can't control what our parents name us. I'm actually grateful my parents didn't name me Lisa, as mom was wont to do. Thank God for My Three Sons in 1970 saving me from that. My name is less common, I hated it as a child because nobody, including me, knew exactly how to say it...Dawn. But, now, I'm grateful that there aren't a ton of us out there. I was actually named after Dawn Lyn, the child who played Dodie and is Leif Garrett's little sister. I was also not a huge fan of my grandson's name, but, my daughter tells me it's a family name on the paternal side and I've grown to love it and love the uniqueness of it. You would call it a stupid name. 

Shad was named by his murdered mother. He probably loves the uniqueness of his name, as well as having something she chose for him to keep for the rest of his life.

• Love 6
On 12/27/2018 at 8:21 AM, Barb23 said:

I thought she might have passed.

I went thru a true crimes reading spurt years ago & read a lot of  her books.  

I think Dirty John would have been a great project for her but  I guess most of the story was already told by the newspaper reporter &  in the podcast. 

I might be in a lonely boat, but I thought the podcast left a lot to be desired.  I feel like it didn't go deep enough.  Maybe I'd be less disappointed if I hadn't heard how amazing it was.  I still need to watch the Dateline, but I've been so busy with the holidays.

• Love 3
On 12/29/2018 at 12:27 PM, DianeDobbler said:

as I am sure many people, know plenty of people who would have the opposite reaction to "love bombing" and instant amazing in-love landing on my doorstep. "Back off." There's a sentence in a novel I read once, "Yes, I'm amazing, but how would he, who has known me five whole minutes, KNOW that?"

Great post, DianeDobbler.  Your thoughts above are spot on.  I dated a man who was instantly "in love" and it was an immediate turn-off.  I even asked him, "tell me exactly what you like about me"?  The answer was laughable.  Next.  

In the show, Veronica appears to live an extremely affluent lifestyle, with the bags, clothes and such.  I know she did the brief stint for the plastic surgeon (and maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but the timeline of that employment as illustrated in the show did not align with real life.  In the podcast, by the time John showed up, the plastic surgery job was in the past.  It's how she knew his scrubs were bogus, right from the start).  What does she do for a living?  I always assumed she was just supported by Deborah but then with Terra, she seems to support herself.  When Terra was showing Deborah the apartment, she was clearly explaining how she would pay for it with her new job.  Mom didn't seem to be footing the bill.

Not so much in last night's episode but previously, if Dumb Dumb Deborah said, "Mmmmhmmmm.....okay" or "Mmmmmhmmm.....yeah" one more time, I thought I wouldn't be able to continue watching.     

On 12/23/2018 at 11:03 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Sooo this latest episode about John and his father and sister, was that all made up for the show?  Because I don't remember any of it. 

I didn't remember all the childhood details either.  Wonder how much liberty they took?  The throwing himself in front of cars was something he definitely did as an adult.  

• Love 3

Re:  John & his father & sister.  He did put glass in a taco as a teenager IRL, and they did "shake down" the restaurant for money.  John's sister was interviewed for the podcast, plus his ex-wife had spoken to both her & his mom, so they have a lot of stories from them.  His friends didn't name him "Filthy John" for nothing.

• Love 11

I had listened to the podcast when it first came out but it was on the plane coming back from NYC so listened to the whole thing again which I found helpful because there are so many different timelines and people that I have forgotten definetly made the ep easier to follow with the details fresh in my mind.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, DianeDobbler said:

What the hell does the Mariners church teach? That's another question that goes unasked.

I have known several people who attended Mariners, as well as other megachurches in the area, and they tend not to be the most Christian-like people.  I think most go for the social scene and not for the religion.

• Love 10
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

In your opinion. And yes, I agree many names are stupid. I don't know yours, but, people may have the same sentiment. Apple, Zippedooda, and many other celebrity children names are stupid. That's the first time I've said that out loud. We can't control what our parents name us. I'm actually grateful my parents didn't name me Lisa, as mom was wont to do. Thank God for My Three Sons in 1970 saving me from that. My name is less common, I hated it as a child because nobody, including me, knew exactly how to say it...Dawn. But, now, I'm grateful that there aren't a ton of us out there. I was actually named after Dawn Lyn, the child who played Dodie and is Leif Garrett's little sister. I was also not a huge fan of my grandson's name, but, my daughter tells me it's a family name on the paternal side and I've grown to love it and love the uniqueness of it. You would call it a stupid name. 

Shad was named by his murdered mother. He probably loves the uniqueness of his name, as well as having something she chose for him to keep for the rest of his life.

Yes, my opinion. That's kind of why I said "I think."   If you're trying to make me feel bad about having an opinion over a name, it's not going to happen.   Let's move on to discussing the actual show, hm?   I'm excited to watch the next episode, I haven't seen it yet.  I DID see, however, Debra responding in a facebook group thread.  She said some of her ex husbands were abusive and she left.  She hasn't dated anyone else and won't until she "fixes her picker" which was encouraging.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, jenrising said:

Right now I'm just kind of shocked how little of Terra we're getting on the show, especially this close to the end. It just seems like a strange storytelling decision. 

I agree. Makes me wonder if they're going to change things so that Veronica is the one to kill John.

Edited by Empress1
Removed spoiler tags - forgot I wasn't posting in the episode thread.
  • Love 1