Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Battle Lines

• Start Topic

DVR Reminder:   A new episode of The Bait is airing the hour before this episode on 04/10/18.

Deadliest Catch: The Bait - "Live from the Docks"

The captains celebrate the 200th episode of Deadliest Catch as Mat Rogers hosts; featuring a discussion regarding the upcoming season, the return of a Harris, and a man gone overboard, in front of a live audience in the City of Seattle,

• Love 1

OK what happened with Sig and Jake?  I thought it would be Jake and his hot head going off but it was Sig that broke first.  But was what Jake said that bad and was it on purpose or did he say it wrong?  All I really got out of it was Jake was telling Sig that Sig talked to other captains about how fishing was going which helped give him ideas where to go and not to go.  Sig, from what I could tell, took that to mean Jake was saying all Sig did was go where other either told him or clued him in.  That apparently is something bad in the fishing world and caused Sig to lose his shit.  Which in turn, of course, meant Jake lost his shit.  Jake might have been right for once not picking up that phone at the end.

The rest was the predictable mix of fishing, accidents and mistakes and good and bad crab pots.  Not boring though.   I did feel really bad for the guy on the other boat that got hit was that bait.......50lbs frozen is nothing to sneeze at...........he's lucky it didn't break his neck!  To much Cornelia Maria of course.  And I used to think I liked Casey but haven't seen him in awhile and now find him grating and immature.  Yeah for the Fast Forward button.

I got the feeling that Sig is just tired of Jake showing NO growth as a captain.  "Can we work together?"  AGAIN.  What's in it for Sig?  He must have felt like he's captaining two boats at the same time, making the decisions.  Jake had just told Sig that if he couldn't produce quickly, the owner was going to get rid of him.  And when Sig didn't jump right in and willingly say, "Don't you worry, I'll help you save your job, little Jakey," then Jake (as usual) started looking for reasons to justify his requests for more help.  "Well, YOU have help, Sig.  YOU talk to other captains.  Why shouldn't I?"  Not WE captains help each other with things like locations and bait.  YOU ask for help.  Jake has no mature social skills.  Remember how he walked out when Keith and Bill(?) were telling him that he needed to deal more maturely with his crew?  Don't scream at them ALL THE TIME . . . just when screaming is really necessary.  Jake got up and stomped off.  He's too old for that behavior . . . especially when other men's lives are in his hands.

And now to the Cornelia Marie.  Please . . . NO!!!!  First off, the opening credits with a near-death Phil Harris, followed by a shot of Josh staring into the camera, arms crossed, and the song or words just then including the word "courage."  Barf.  When he picked up his shiny new backpack at the airport, and put it on and was walking in slo-mo with the bill of his cap off to one side, he looked like the class nerd on the first day of middle school.  And his first words of inspiration to his crew:  "Let's get this party started."  Barf again.  When he and Casey were first co-captains (at the requirement of the majority owners of the boat), I liked Casey and thought he would be a good influence on Josh.  From what we've seen lately, I think that has gone the other way.  Casey seems less respect-worthy.  JMO.

All that having been said, last night's "Bait" was the first time I've ever seen an emcee on a show bite off a fish's head, spit it out, barf a bit, start reading his lines, and then continue barfing.  Now THAT is reality TV.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

All that having been said, last night's "Bait" was the first time I've ever seen an emcee on a show bite off a fish's head, spit it out, barf a bit, start reading his lines, and then continue barfing.  Now THAT is reality TV.

Ok, I was debating whether even to watch these recorded episodes on the DVR - now this sounds like something to watch  ?

• Love 3

Can somebody help me understand something?  If the Wizard is on good grounds, and is surrounded by 11 boats already, how can calling the Saga over, to arrive tomorrow, stop the other boats from setting in that area?  Won't they have already set by then?  Are the good grounds such a small area that only Keith and another boat can be right on top of them, and the other boats that can be seen with the naked eye, are pulling up weak pots?  Same with Sig.  It made no sense to me that calling in another boat would be able to push out a swarm of other vessels. 

I also wonder about how the captains talking to the cameras about where they like to fish has impacted the number of other vessels that show up in those locations the next season.  If I find a nice camping spot that isn't well used, I tell NO BODY! 

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And now to the Cornelia Marie.  Please . . . NO!!!!  First off, the opening credits with a near-death Phil Harris, followed by a shot of Josh staring into the camera, arms crossed, and the song or words just then including the word "courage."  Barf.  When he picked up his shiny new backpack at the airport, and put it on and was walking in slo-mo with the bill of his cap off to one side, he looked like the class nerd on the first day of middle school.  And his first words of inspiration to his crew:  "Let's get this party started."  Barf again.  When he and Casey were first co-captains (at the requirement of the majority owners of the boat), I liked Casey and thought he would be a good influence on Josh.  From what we've seen lately, I think that has gone the other way.  Casey seems less respect-worthy.  JMO.

I think that Josh's presence on the Cornelia Maria was a Disco requirement; the CM being on DC means the captains get paid, and IIRC thanks to Sig and the H brothers the crews get something too.  Therefore no matter how the season goes, some people will get some money....  And, sadly, Josh Harris still has a lot of fans, of the sort who think that young pretty bad boys with charming smiles (what the rest of us are more like to call a shit-eating grin) should always get the extra break.  Josh seems to be a decent enough fisherman to find crab; he's just really lousy at being responsible - I still remember him sitting on his ass while repairs were being made in the engine room, and him doing something at the wrong time that either nearly injured someone (Casey?) or undid the new repair - you can't easily get a "bad edit" without providing material for the bad edit.

8 minutes ago, eskimo said:

Can somebody help me understand something?  If the Wizard is on good grounds, and is surrounded by 11 boats already, how can calling the Saga over, to arrive tomorrow, stop the other boats from setting in that area?  Won't they have already set by then?  Are the good grounds such a small area that only Keith and another boat can be right on top of them, and the other boats that can be seen with the naked eye, are pulling up weak pots?  Same with Sig.  It made no sense to me that calling in another boat would be able to push out a swarm of other vessels. 

I also wonder about how the captains talking to the cameras about where they like to fish has impacted the number of other vessels that show up in those locations the next season.  If I find a nice camping spot that isn't well used, I tell NO BODY! 

I'm pretty sure the screens we see tracking the boats are satellite displays, which means the scale is probably tens or perhaps hundreds of miles.  They can see the boats headed towards them from over the horizon, just as those boats can see where they are.  The Northwestern and the Wizard are boats that others (not just Jake) are going to follow.

• Love 2

First.  Why does Disco want to torture us with Josh Harris?  I just realized why I liked last season. No Josh.  

Jake, if you are worried about keeping your job, then being on camera asking Sig for help is not a good idea.   It makes you look less than capable.  But then I call fake to the whole scene.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Libby said:

I've watched 10 minutes of The Bait and I miss Jonathan already. This season is not going to be the same without the Time Bandit.

I agree! I already miss his wicked laugh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, surveyandprotect1 said:

Why no Time Bandit this season? Wonder if they will be back for Opies?

Because Andy doesn't go out any more, and Johnathan officially retired.

Really, he retired.  They talked about it all last season and had an episode (#1320) titled "Hillstrand's Last Catch", followed three weeks later by "Johnathan Hillstrand Legacy" (#1323).  He left.

But none of these guys stay retired, apparently he is still fishing, and apparently he would like to come back.

• Love 1

I used to really like Jake and enjoyed rooting for him to succeed.  He succeeded too quickly, he wasn't ready and it's ruined him for me. He needs to catch quickly? They all need that. It isn't Sig's job to catch crab for Jake's boat. Sure the captains talk to each other but only in rare conditions have I seen them tell each other where to fish. Usually it's misdirection, anyway. And they know it. It was very insulting to Sig to suggest he gets his info from others and I completely understand that he was pissed off.  

I ff  Josh.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

I used to really like Jake and enjoyed rooting for him to succeed.  He succeeded too quickly, he wasn't ready and it's ruined him for me.

Yep, I enjoyed watching his progress on the Northwestern. Ah, but even back then there was the occasional hissy fit because he wanted to be upstairs running things instead of being on deck. Now.... nope I FF many of his segments.

He needs to catch quickly? They all need that. It isn't Sig's job to catch crab for Jake's boat. Sure the captains talk to each other but only in rare conditions have I seen them tell each other where to fish. Usually it's misdirection, anyway. And they know it. It was very insulting to Sig to suggest he gets his info from others and I completely understand that he was pissed off.

Yep - more than once we've seen captains call and ask for advice only to see them pointed in the wrong direction. Even when they get good info, they often end up po'ed because they figure they were lied to because it took them to long to get there.

I ff  Josh.

Oh yeah

• Love 2

Of course it being a "reality" sort of show, you don't know what is scripted and what isn't.  The Sig/Jake thing and the Wild Bill/Sean quota situation could easily have been set up by Disco producers. 

That being said, yeah, Jake didn't come off very well at all again.  If he just would have said something like, "with the colder conditions we have this year, what is a general direction you went to have success in the past when conditions were similar?"  And then leave it there and don't pester Sig if he didn't give you the exact answer he wanted.  He just came off as an entitled, whiny, and not emotionally fit to captain a vessel on the Bering Sea.  I had hoped he grow into the role as captain.  But he doesn't seemed to have changed much at all.  At least not that I've seen so far.

Don't care about Josh at all.  I watch the show live, so those when he is on, I either go and fix myself a snack or just change the channel. 

• Love 2

Does the crew of Cornelia Marie get a bonus, say an extra hundred dollars, every time they say "Josh?"

He's no captain.  From what I see, he can barely pilot the ship.  No way could he handle that vessel and the responsibilities of fishing without Casey covering his ass.

I feel bad for the poor slobs on deck who have been breaking their backs for seasons in this work, then have to pretend to be excited that Josh is back to play a captain on TV.

The "prodigal son" edit Discovery gave him was enough to induce seasickness.   What, no CGI animation of Phil Harris smiling in the clouds?

Speaking of captains who just ain't, add Jake Anderson to the list.   He's been on this show how many seasons and he can't decipher a survey?   Even Elliot Neese wasn't that dense. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, brgjoe said:

Of course it being a "reality" sort of show, you don't know what is scripted and what isn't.  The Sig/Jake thing and the Wild Bill/Sean quota situation could easily have been set up by Disco producers. 

If somebody undercut my business by $160,000, I wouldn't be quite as jovial as Wild Bill.   It reeked of set-up.  Wild Bill is a guy who has abused and publicly humiliated deck hands and even his own son for infractions that pale by comparison.   We're supposed to believe he chuckled away the loss of a major portion of his King Crab quota?  

• Love 5

Another element of the show that beggared belief was the "setting out" scene where the only boats leaving Dutch Harbor were the ones featured on the show, and all leaving at the same time (in previous seasons we have seen that the boats frequently leave separately and at different times).  Did Discovery tell all other vessels they weren't allowed to leave while the show was filming?

I also booed almost all the captains wearing what appeared to be promotional sweatshirts featuring crab motifs.   Save it for the tourists, guys.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, millennium said:

If somebody undercut my business by $160,000, I wouldn't be quite as jovial as Wild Bill.   It reeked of set-up.  Wild Bill is a guy who has abused and publicly humiliated deck hands and even his own son for infractions that pale by comparison.   We're supposed to believe he chuckled away the loss of a major portion of his King Crab quota?  

It's business. Sean didn't steal it, he bought it from someone who had promised it to Bill. Not Sean's fault, it is his job to get quota for his boat. If Bill put it off and Sean stepped up with the bucks then the Captains may be ticked off but they get it. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

It's business. Sean didn't steal it, he bought it from someone who had promised it to Bill. Not Sean's fault, it is his job to get quota for his boat. If Bill put it off and Sean stepped up with the bucks then the Captains may be ticked off but they get it. 

I never said he stole it.   

15 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

Exactly.  And if Wild Bill should be pissed at anyone (besides himself & his partner for not sealing the deal) it should be at the person who promised him said quota and then sold it to Seanie-Poo.  Boo hoo, NOT.

Speaking of Wild Bill (and his hair, which is always a thing of beauty) - I've never seen him so choked up and teary as when he was telling the story of his young deckhand, who went overboard.  The poor man was so distraught and emotional, he almost had me in tears, too.  Then I remembered that Wild Bill had zero fucks to give about his own son, and zero tears were shed when he drove Zach off his boat and into the welcoming arms of Seanie-Poo.  

Which is why I chortled with glee when Wild Bill threw down the gauntlet, and Sean rose to the challenge with the mild retort that he had faith in his great deck crew ... "including your son".  HEE - the burn!

Jake Anderson will never grow up.  He's an emotional ball of neediness and insecurity, alternating between whining and outbursts of rage.  I'm sure it has to do with his addictive past, but he has yet to come to terms with his inner demons, and it shows.

Fuck Josh Harris, and double fuck his obnoxiously cocked-half-sideways hat.

• Love 9

Speaking of captains who just ain't, add Jake Anderson to the list.   He's been on this show how many seasons and he can't decipher a survey?   Even Elliot Neese wasn't that dense. 

The best part of that whole thing was Keith's mocking of Jake's lightbulb moment over the survey. I know I'm in the cheap seats on my couch, but if you were a captain who has historically had issues finding crab, wouldn't you do some research/learning in the offseason so you could make sure you could do a central part of the job?  

Which is why I chortled with glee when Wild Bill threw down the gauntlet, and Sean rose to the challenge with the mild retort that he had faith in his great deck crew ... "including your son".  HEE - the burn!

That was some nice shade thrown there by Seanie-Poo, who is quickly becoming my favorite captain on this show. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Speaking of Wild Bill (and his hair, which is always a thing of beauty) - I've never seen him so choked up and teary as when he was telling the story of his young deckhand, who went overboard.  The poor man was so distraught and emotional, he almost had me in tears, too.  Then I remembered that Wild Bill had zero fucks to give about his own son, and zero tears were shed when he drove Zach off his boat and into the welcoming arms of Seanie-Poo.  

Was this in the episode or on The Bait?

• Love 1
On 4/11/2018 at 9:59 PM, kassygreene said:

But none of these guys stay retired, apparently he is still fishing, and apparently he would like to come back.

I did some poking around about Jonathan/Time Bandit~

“...A Deadliest Catch deckhand was awarded $1.4 million in a lawsuit agains the F/V Time Bandit, when his hand was seriously injured, during the filming of the popular Discovery Channel show...” (June 2017)

Time Bandit Lawsuit

Also, his Twitter account shows him out there fishing this past season with this quote 5 days ago:

“Yes I’m still fishing ! The dam tax man and those bill collectors won’t let me quit! No cameras except my I phone here :) let Discovery channel know if you want Time Bandit back next year :) love you all !!”

Captain Jonathan on Twitter

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Will you marry me? If I could like this a billion times, I would! 

I'm not the marrying kind, but I'll gladly call Josh a dickswab and a whole lot worse for your internet lurve and a little cat food.  ;-)

OK, truth be told, I'm going to say a little suntheen about that sack'o'shit, no matter what. Heh.

ETA: "Suntheen" is the way a not so real former housewife pronounced the word "something" (tragic veneers, eh).   I am still hoping for a Deadliest Catch/Real Housewives crossover coming soon.  Vicky might actually puke instead of making retching sounds if she had to bite the head off a herring.  And hooker heels on deck?  Jocularity!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Sounds like a deal! My husband wouldn't be good with me hooking up with someone else anyway. Heehee. 

We call Josh camera whore, famewhore. 

Tell your huzzbin you are the safest with me - if he's worried about sexy times, I gave that up a long time ago.  But I WILL corrupt your sensibilities (and his!), with a whole bunch of swearwords worthy of Deadwood fans.

I'll never forget Josh's own words - "I'm not here to fish, I'm here to make TeeVee".

Fuckin' poseur.

• Love 7
On 4/15/2018 at 7:43 AM, AZChristian said:

Hey DC:

Johnathan and the Time Bandit - YESSSSSSSS

Josh H and the Cornelia Marie - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1000 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️,

• Love 3