Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E18: John Mulaney / Jack White

• Start Topic

I saw in the comments on Youtube about the tuna melt and didn't get it but after reading everyone's comments here I want to see what was shown live. Maybe they will have the live version on demand.

I thought it was a really good show. I laughed at virtually everything or maybe I'm easily amused..anyways, I'm not familiar with this host. I've seen him on Stephen Colbert a couple times and figured he was somebody but was too lazy to look him up.

I really loved his bit about proving you're not a robot and his bit about the Gazebo in the middle of the Civil War was funny to me as well.

• Love 4

My favorite episode of the season. Love this guy. His humor is specific and smart. What I noticed was the sketches this episode had a specific ending, instead of just hanging there. Like the twist with the drag waitress sketch. I wonder if that was Mulaney’s influence. 

(Lol I REMEMBER Patrick Stewart’s intro to Salt n Pepa! That was a great episode over all.)

• Love 9

Outside of the monologue, I did not like this episode at all. The skits fell flat, and the music almost made my ears bleed. Even weekend uodate was a snooze fest for me. I loved last week's episode. I hated this one.

• Love 1

Oh, I fell asleep last night before the show even started and watched the show via SNL’s YouTube channel when I woke up.  I didn’t realize that the Lobster Les Mis sketch that is now posted is the dress rehearsal version.  They probably changed the veal line to a tuna melt in the final version for political correctness, but Pete ordering veal is wayyyy funnier.  I probably wouldn’t have liked the sketch as much if I had seen the live version that flubbed the chorus, either.

I also didn’t pay attention that Luke Null’s wedding song sketch was cut for time:  I thought I was watching a sketch that had aired.  That was funny enough to have made the final cut, especially when John said in impressed wonderment, “Jack White played at my wedding.”

9 hours ago, SHD said:

That Andrew Cunanan joke just flew past everyone in the audience during the Switcheroo sketch.

I heard it, then couldn't believe that no one in the audience laughed, so I rewound to make sure I'd heard correctly. Then paused to laugh for longer than I should have. Did the same thing when the address of the new studio location was on 1 Switcharoo Lane, Jonestown, Guyana. Hilarious, sly, and a little bit wrong.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

watched the show via SNL’s YouTube channel when I woke up.  I didn’t realize that the Lobster Les Mis sketch that is now posted is the dress rehearsal version.  They probably changed the veal line to a tuna melt in the final version for political correctness, but Pete ordering veal is wayyyy funnier.  

Same. It's cruel and unusual to kill a 40yo lobster, but everyone's fine with killing a baby cow? The tuna melt doesn't twist back on the sketch premise the same way. 

I thought all of the sketches were funny, although none of them popped as much for me as Black Jeopardy did last week. John was delightful, and seemed to be having so much fun to be back. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, teebax said:

Outside of the monologue, I did not like this episode at all. The skits fell flat, and the music almost made my ears bleed. Even weekend uodate was a snooze fest for me. I loved last week's episode. I hated this one.

To each his/her own...I'm on the flip side. I thought this show was one of thee best and didn't like last week at all...ESPECIALLY the completely untalented Cardi whatshername...

• Love 5

At first I got nervous when they brought De Niro out as Mueller, as he is famously terrible at being on this show, and had completely forgotten about Meet the Parents until they started doing the lie detector bit. He actually did ok! Maybe it helped that they pulled an old script of his out of the archives.

Nasim! I've missed her.

Diner food by way of Les Mis was inspired. I had a friend order lobster something at a diner once and it really did become a whole production (and apparently tasted horrible, according to her).

Oh, Jack White. If Meg's not there too, I'm not interested.

11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"Little Andy Cunanan" was referring to a serial killer?

Andrew Cunanan went on a killing spree in 1997 that culminated in the murder of Gianni Versace. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cunanan

10 hours ago, vb68 said:

I bet anything that Mulaney had been planning his monologue for years.

The monologue was fantastic, but it was all material from his latest stand-up tour, including the bit about Sir Patrick Stewart and Salt-N-Pepa. 

10 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Random question - did it sound to anyone else like Darrell Hammond introduced Mulaney as "Mulvaney" at the start of the show? 

9 hours ago, SHD said:

I wonder if that was some kind of inside joke. Mulaney seems like the kind of guy who would ask him to purposely mispronounce his name.

I heard that too and also wondered if it was supposed to be a joke that John would then reference in his monologue. But then...nothing came of it? All of the intros were off last night, Darrell was late on everybody's name.

2 hours ago, Ottis said:

I had to look up the host. This isn’t a knock, just a question: Why was he hosting? Wait, I just realized this is one of the guys on Big Mouth. Is that it? 

John's stand-up special "Kid Gorgeous" is dropping on Netflix soon, and he also used to write for SNL--within the context of the show, he's best known for writing the Stefon bits.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Isn't Colin on the far left, with the beard?

Whoops! Now I feel bad for insulting the lady. Also I wish Colin would have kept that look when he became WU co-host!

The Switcheroo sketch is one of those "so wrong but so funny" ones for me. Loved Cecily's horrified reactions and the "Andrew Cunanan" reference.

Having seen the wedding sketch I now wish they kept it and cut the "Horns" sketch instead. Luke has a great singing voice a as does Cecily and she looked great. Plus Jack White coming in with a cameo!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

They should have left this in

I agree!! Very fun!

My east coast broadcast started with the show already in progress. I therefore missed the beginning of the cold open, but saw the Focker re-enactment. When they cut off the end of the show, also, plus had problems like Colin missing his cue during WU, opening credits being out of sync, and the Lobster lyrics being off-- I wonder what the hell was going on with the production team this episode. Still, funnier than this season's average but the most stage management failure I've ever seen on SNL.

Mulaney played a waiter in two sketches. I was wondering if it was going to be a gag all night that he'd play a server in every sketch. I would have found it kind of funny if they did that, but was also fine that they didn't.

Luke is good whenever they give him something to do. I suspect he's just not good at aggressively marketing his roles to get them to air.

I used to love Heidi, but she's starting to play every role the same way to the extent that it's hard to even tell them apart. I hope she knocks that off.

Those lobster costumes were the best. The same sketch with lesser lobster garb would not have been as spectacular.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Whoops! Now I feel bad for insulting the lady.

Don't feel too bad; it's still a guy. That's SNL writer Bryan Tucker. He used to occasionally make on-screen appearances, most memorably as Andy Samberg's brother-in-law Roy in the digital short "Roy Rules."

• Love 2

I thought Jack White - who I'm usually ambivalent about - had the best musical performances this show has seen in a while,  maybe all season. I'm very much not into rap or hip-hop, and listen to minimal pop,  though.

I thought it was a good show,  not great.  I got the Fockers reference in the cold open,  it just seems odd and anachronistic. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, librarianbeck said:

I got the Fockers reference in the cold open,  it just seems odd and anachronistic. 

Yeah I’m with you, it’s a 17-year-old movie (that I never liked, YMMV) but I thought Stiller as Michael Cohen was brilliant casting. (Still LOLing at “I’m Donald Trump’s lawyer. I have a whole hard drive labeled ‘Yikes.’”)

De Niro looked like a convincing Mueller but I hope they don’t keep using him, for all his talent, he is just not good on live TV.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

To each his/her own...I'm on the flip side. I thought this show was one of thee best and didn't like last week at all...ESPECIALLY the completely untalented Cardi whatshername...

I thought Cardi B was awesome. It's interesting no one is talking about Jack White's horrible performances but everyone crapped all over Cardi last week. His stuff passes for music but rap doesn't? 

Obviously we're all entitled to our opinions. That should go without saying. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Thinbalina said:

I really loved his bit about proving you're not a robot and his bit about the Gazebo in the middle of the Civil War was funny to me as well.

The first time I had to continuously pick the pictures of the road or stop sign or boat to prove I wasn't a robot, I was like what fresh hell is this? Trying to decipher the curvy letters was bad enough, but the pics are all kinds of frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Oh, I fell asleep last night before the show even started and watched the show via SNL’s YouTube channel when I woke up.  I didn’t realize that the Lobster Les Mis sketch that is now posted is the dress rehearsal version.  They probably changed the veal line to a tuna melt in the final version for political correctness, but Pete ordering veal is wayyyy funnier.  I probably wouldn’t have liked the sketch as much if I had seen the live version that flubbed the chorus, either.

Veal would have been much, much funnier, but people have serious issues with veal. A friend of mine is all about beef, her father raised cattle for years. But when I mentioned veal parm to her once, she lost her shit. And yes, I know how veal is raised, but it still screams ironic to me. Pete breaking during this sketch and the student walkout sketch were funny. I'm wondering how much Mulaney changed lines like he used to do to Hader in the Stefan sketches.

• Love 1

This has given me hope that we get to see a Bob Odenkirk, Conan O'Brien, or even Mike Schur hosted SNL at some point in the future. Someone who understands how to maximize the writing process on the show. 

I loved that there were only a couple pretty recorded bits and that nearly all the live sketches actually had endings. It's the evidence of a hand that has known how to get ideas out, but also watched the show in a post-SNL-career critique while further developing the craft. 

Would have loved to get a Nick Kroll cameo. He and John work so perfectly as a team as he has the acting chops John lacks, while John's writing and understatedness helps offset a broader Kroll. 

• Love 2

I've only seen John Mulaney hosting the Indie Film Awards show with Nick Kroll, and I liked him there. I'll definitely be checking out his stand-ups because I thought this one was hilarious. The "Are You A Robot" bit was so great. Loved it. I also liked the gazebo bit and, well, everything else in his monologue. Oh, and I noticed that the first time he introduced Jack White, he did it like Patrick Stewart's Salt 'n PEPA!

The Cold Open was ok. I'm still not a Kate-as-Sessions fan. I like Beck as Pence. "We're in a real pickle here, Jeff, and you know how uncomfortable I am around pickles." I had read before watching the ep that there was some reference to Meet The Parents, so when Ben Stiller walked in, I was all Ohhh. I thought he was great as Cohen. "I have a whole hard drive that's just labeled 'Yikes!'" I did not expect Robert DeNiro. The makeup on him was perfect.

The drag restaurant sketch was pretty good. I enjoyed Mulaney the most.

I wasn't so crazy about the National School Walkout Day sketch, but I did like that so many of the students had funny little characterizations.

I didn't like the Netflix documentary thing. I don't know if I missed something, but it just seemed to be an excuse to have Kenan talk about getting lots of sex.

Big Nick's Greek Diner was fantastic. Very inventive. I watched my recording of the West Coast airing (11:29), and it had the veal line in it. 

The best thing about WU was Levar Ball. Kenan is so funny in this bit. I particularly liked his whole description of the Motel 8 "contentinental" breakfast.

Switcheroo was ok. The doctor's office with the horned guy was ok. I liked Mulaney's lines thruout. That was the best. Luke did ok, but I'm not a fan. As someone else said here, they should have subbed this sketch with the wedding one. So much better.

The Bravo thing was another ok one. 

I wasn't much for the music.

Overall a good show. I'm a new fan of John Mulaney.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I thought Cardi B was awesome. It's interesting no one is talking about Jack White's horrible performances but everyone crapped all over Cardi last week. His stuff passes for music but rap doesn't? 

I prefer classic Rock and old school hip hop. Except for the "Walk This Way" Run DMC and Aerosmith collaboration I absolutely hate the attempts to mix the genres by certain artists in the late 90s and early 00s. *shudder*.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Big Nick's Greek Diner was fantastic. Very inventive. I watched my recording of the West Coast airing (11:29), and it had the veal line in it. 

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy because I saw it on the West Coast and heard the same thing. I definitely remember the killing the baby cow line.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

This has given me hope that we get to see a Bob Odenkirk, Conan O'Brien, or even Mike Schur hosted SNL at some point in the future. Someone who understands how to maximize the writing process on the show. 

I loved that there were only a couple pretty recorded bits and that nearly all the live sketches actually had endings. It's the evidence of a hand that has known how to get ideas out, but also watched the show in a post-SNL-career critique while further developing the craft. 

Would have loved to get a Nick Kroll cameo. He and John work so perfectly as a team as he has the acting chops John lacks, while John's writing and understatedness helps offset a broader Kroll. 

Conan hosted 17 years ago ... http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/conan-obrien-monologue/n11449?snl=1

And showed off his chest....

8 hours ago, Ottis said:

For some reason my DVR missed the cold open and came on in middle of the monologue. I had to look up the host. This isn’t a knock, just a question: Why was he hosting? Wait, I just realized this is one of the guys on Big Mouth. Is that it?

I mean, at first sight, John Mulaney hosting is sort of self-indulgent. He's not that big a star, unless you watch the IFC Awards or late-night shows or are a comedy or SNL junkee.

But having Mulaney  host is one of those invigorating things that could really inspire the whole cast. Mulaney seemed to be doing even more web extras than any previous host this season. And the show was indeed really creative.

Re: Stiller and De Niro: At first, I was annoyed. Mueller and Cohen could be huge stories over the next year or years, and are De Niro going to be able to come back every week. Will somebody else take their spot?

But I kept rewatching the cold open on YouTube, because it was really inspired casting since they look like dead ringers to Mueller and Cohen.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm still not a Kate-as-Sessions fan.

Yeah, me neither. I think this portrayal minimizes the danger of Sessions. Just like her early portrayals of Kelly Anne Conway conveyed a ruefulness about her role in electing Trump that wasn't true in real life (they abandoned that take when the truth became clear.) Also, apparently the show has the Trump sons conveyed all wrong as well; IRL Don Jr is supposedly an idiot while Eric, while not a genius, is quiet and wisely keeps out of the spotlight.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

noticed that the first time he introduced Jack White, he did it like Patrick Stewart's Salt 'n PEPA!

Me too! And he seemed so delighted to do so.

Oh and apparently the line in his monologue about smoking crack before his college graduation is probably true. I saw a CBS Sunday Morning segment on him and he was very candid about his substance/alcohol abuse in his past and his efforts to live a sober life.

It was also nice to see Naseem on again. She was on Mulaney's short-lived sitcom a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Re: Stiller and De Niro: At first, I was annoyed. Mueller and Cohen could be huge stories over the next year or years, and are De Niro going to be able to come back every week. Will somebody else take their spot?

Well, as for Mueller, Kate's played him twice before this episode. It would make sense she would go back to playing him. She obviously couldn't be him in this sketch because she was already Sessions and they use a lot of prosthetics to make her look like him.

Don't know about Cohen. Hopefully, he'll be in jail soon so it'll be moot. Apparently, he's being prosecuted on the state level so Trump can't pardon him, but that's neither here nor there.

I loved the Les Miz sketch (that's the show that got me into musical theatre when I was a kid) and I thought the wedding sketch was good, especially when Jack White came out. Don't know why the cut it for time.

• Love 2

I checked John Mulaney’s Twitter because I was curious if there was any explanation for Darrell Hammond’s flub of Mulaney’s name.

I guess Hammond tweeted to John that he got distracted by adjusting a cue card and simultaneously plugging some comedy show that he was going to do and just got his name wrong.  John accepted his apology.  Odd occurrence in any event.

10 hours ago, teebax said:

I guess it's truly a difference of opinion and musical taste. Cardi B's delivery and her whole shtick just doesn't do it for me. OTOH, I love Jack White, have since the White Stripes. I thought his performance was great, especially the second song. I do like rap in general but there's just something about Cardi B that bugs me, although she is fun in Bruno's straight out of the 90's "Finesse". 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I guess it's truly a difference of opinion and musical taste. Cardi B's delivery and her whole shtick just doesn't do it for me. OTOH, I love Jack White, have since the White Stripes. I thought his performance was great, especially the second song. I do like rap in general but there's just something about Cardi B that bugs me, although she is fun in Bruno's straight out of the 90's "Finesse". 

I was stunned to realize it was Cardi B in Finesse, since I like that song, whereas Bodak Yellow is just atrocious.

I would assume that this is the dress rehearsal version, although I don't know why they would make that change.

Pete still appears to break at the same place, meaning that his grinning and almost-laughter at that place was planned.  Which is weird.  I didn't think SNL did fake breaking like that.  Unless it's supposed to be a reaction to the appearance of the lobster.

This appears to confirm what I have suspected all along, that SNL's breaking is fake (with very rare exception).  I've never found it funny, especially since it just seems to be a way to salvage a lame skit.  These people are professionals, and could easily manage to not laugh if they wanted to.  (And I think it was mostly fake in the Carol Burnett show too, although it was at least a little funny then.)  

12 hours ago, ahisma said:

Same. It's cruel and unusual to kill a 40yo lobster, but everyone's fine with killing a baby cow? The tuna melt doesn't twist back on the sketch premise the same way. 

I thought his character said he was calling their bluff on the lobster.I wouldn't trust veal from a diner much more than lobster from a diner, so to me, his rescinding his order of lobster and switching to tuna melt at the end, while perhaps less funny than veal, makes more sense. If the point was to call their bluff, switching to a similarly dicey order doesn't really follow after being convinced out of the lobster.

Showed the diner sketch to my mother, the Le Mis fan. She got a kick out of it, but didn't like the bit at the end with the veal. Didn't realize that the video was probably from rehearsal until I read about it here, because I thought it was from the live show and the bouncy lobster/lyrics were edited to be in sync. Also, I forgot that it ended on a tuna melt.

11 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Once again, I was expecting "Too Much Tuna." I don't know what would fall into place for Nick to host. I will say that he had a lot of characters feature in Kroll Show (Liz, Dr. Armond, Bobby Bottleservice, etc.) What other famous-not-superstars would you guys want? Shit, give the cast a week off and bring in Maria Bamford. Or maybe just pair her with Kate for a half-hour.

8 hours ago, nowandlater said:

Conan hosted 17 years ago ... 

"THE MOLECULAR MAN!!!!!!" NBC fucked him hard, and I don't think he'd forgive the network. Also, you can try finding old late-80s/early-90s skits and see Conan in bit roles. Wasn't he a servant guy in the original Five Timers sketch?

22 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The drag waitress sketch reminded me of John's bit how unnecessarily mean drag queens are.

I've heard that one. Basically, John goes on about how drag queens are all brassy and demeaning, and ends it with "You know what you could have dressed like instead? A GUY." He also wondered who else would wear alligator shows out of a strip of The Far Side.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

his rescinding his order of lobster and switching to tuna melt at the end, while perhaps less funny than veal, makes more sense

Yes, what makes it funny is that ordering veal is nonsense. :-) Veal actually offers two funny ending options: Have a cow come in and start singing/pleading for her baby's life, doubling down on the joke. Or what they did do, have everyone rush  out to kill the baby cow without remorse after empathizing with the lobster, which is absurd—usually the best mood for a sketch button. I didn't watch live, so I don't even know how they ended the tuna melt version. Just place the order and that's it? It's a little flat in comparison. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I checked John Mulaney’s Twitter because I was curious if there was any explanation for Darrell Hammond’s flub of Mulaney’s name.

I guess Hammond tweeted to John that he got distracted by adjusting a cue card and simultaneously plugging some comedy show that he was going to do and just got his name wrong.  John accepted his apology.  Odd occurrence in any event.

Wait... so Darrell Hammond reads the opening twice every week?!?!?

He used to tape in from Los Angeles, before moving back to New York. (And Don Pardo used to tape it from Arizona).

Which begs the questions:

1) Why don't they just pretape the opening credits. Why does it have to be read live? Why does it have to be read live twice?

2) Why does he have to do the whole cast intros every week? Can't he just do it once, and he edit in that week's guests?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2017/09/27/darrell-hammond-was-snls-best-donald-trump-and-its-best-impressionist-ever-so-what-went-wrong/?utm_term=.786d999507b3

• Love 2
17 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I prefer classic Rock and old school hip hop. Except for the "Walk This Way" Run DMC and Aerosmith collaboration I absolutely hate the attempts to mix the genres by certain artists in the late 90s and early 00s. *shudder*.

I love classic rock and old school hip hop too. I don't love Jack White. Maybe it's the sound system at SNL, which is notoriously bad, but I've never understood his appeal anyway. 

I try to give all the musical guests a listen. That's why I downloaded some Cardi B after last week's show. I won't be downloading anything I heard this episode. 

I thought T'Challa on Black Jeopardy and Aidy B were two of the best skits this season. I also thought Weekend Update was way better last week than this week. I hate Les Mis with a passion, so the lobster skit everyone seemed to love was awful for me. And the skit with the sitcom kid who has sex with his mom or the kidnwith a hard on in class? Hard pass. I like smart and funny and hate frat boy humor. 

I usually find something redeeming in an episode to rewatch. There was nothing for me in this one. 

I am glad that so many of you liked it. It's a sign that the show is still going strong, even when I think it has a misfire. And John Mulaney is one of my favorite comedians. I even liked his TV show. So I'm glad he's getting positive feedback. 

• Love 1

I am by far not a prude, but I really feel like SNL has been unnecessarily raunchy. My kids are a little older (9 and 12) so sometimes I'll watch with them or watch, then show them the skits I think they will like. Even a relatively innocent sketch like the diner lobster had the line "so you'll take that vagina style". Why? I also feel like they say "bitch" at least 20 times a night. I realize SNL is not a family show, but the constant raunch gets a little old.

• Love 3

Why would they air the dress rehearsal for the West Coast airing? 

Also, just because Pete was cracking up twice -- dress rehearsal and live -- in the same spot doesn't mean it was faked. I have no problem believing that that particular moment just really got to him.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Why would they air the dress rehearsal for the West Coast airing? 

Also, just because Pete was cracking up twice -- dress rehearsal and live -- in the same spot doesn't mean it was faked. I have no problem believing that that particular moment just really got to him.

I don’t either - he posted on his Instagram the pics of him cracking up twice in the same spot and he said “Kenan always gets me.”  So I don’t have any trouble thinking that Kenan coming out as a lobster and singing cracked him up twice. 

• Love 4
On 4/15/2018 at 11:12 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

She is really awful, I am waiting for her to go away once everyone realizes she has ZERO talent.

I am not surprised Pete cracked up when Kenan was rolled out - I also laughed every time I watched it (I watched it 3 times!).

• Love 1
On 4/15/2018 at 12:09 PM, ahisma said:

I thought all of the sketches were funny, although none of them popped as much for me as Black Jeopardy did last week. John was delightful, and seemed to be having so much fun to be back. 

FWIW Hulu had the veal line. I was totally confused by the discussion of tuna melt when i started reading this thread. 

• Love 1

The lobster dinner skit is the highlight of the episode. Makes zero sense, but definitely hilarious. As good as Mrs. Gomez the Nickelback fan with Sterling K. Brown.

However, I have to object with the negativity of eating lobster in a diner. Here in Atlantic Canada, that is how we get our lobster fix cheaply, get the lobster dinner in a diner. :-)

• Love 2
On 4/15/2018 at 4:41 PM, nowandlater said:

I mean, at first sight, John Mulaney hosting is sort of self-indulgent. He's not that big a star, unless you watch the IFC Awards or late-night shows or are a comedy or SNL junkee.

Yepper-- this was the lowest rated show of the season by a fair chunk, the only one under 4.0.  A lot of folks missed a superior show. 

I love Jack White but this was not his best.  Being over-produced on SNL's crappy sound system is not good.  I never thought I'd accuse Jack White of being over-produced. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, TV Anonymous said:

However, I have to object with the negativity of eating lobster in a diner. Here in Atlantic Canada, that is how we get our lobster fix cheaply, get the lobster dinner in a diner. :-)

Things are different in Canada.  :-)

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:55 PM, JZL said:

Yepper-- this was the lowest rated show of the season by a fair chunk, the only one under 4.0.  A lot of folks missed a superior show. 

That they did.  I liked this one a lot.

• Love 1