Type keyword(s) to search

Trading Spaces Media, Ratings, and Scheduling

From the Trading Spaces page on Facebook. 

Clinton and Hildi next week. 

Ty and Carter,  May 12

Genevieve and Vern,  May 19th 

Nate and Jeremiah, June 2.  

There looks to be a pattern here.  I am going to guess Laurie and Frank will be together for future episodes.  And where are the new designers?  

8 minutes ago, Wings said:

From the Trading Spaces page on Facebook. 

Clinton and Hildi next week. 

Ty and Carter,  May 12

Genevieve and Vern,  May 19th 

Nate and Jeremiah, June 2.  

There looks to be a pattern here.  I am going to guess Laurie and Frank will be together for future episodes.  And where are the new designers?  

On my guide it shows Genevieve and newbie John Gidding together on the 12th. Hmm. I did wonder if they were going to pair each newbie with an OG for their debut episode, or just throw Sabrina Soto and the other newbie together for an episode?

1. I wish they would realize , gimmicks didn't work the last time. Why do it again?
  2. I want my trading space designers ,you know the regulars.
  3. Even the new ones.
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

On my guide it shows Genevieve and newbie John Gidding together on the 12th. Hmm. I did wonder if they were going to pair each newbie with an OG for their debut episode, or just throw Sabrina Soto and the other newbie together for an episode?

I hope you are right.  FB could be wrong.  It is impossible to find an episode guide for this season.  Someone on FB said we only had 4 episodes left. 

6 hours ago, Wings said:

Someone on FB said we only had 4 episodes left. 

For a show that used to crank out 60 episodes a season, and we've only had three new ones this time, that's nuts.

Perhaps they wanted to wait and see if there was enough interest in the reboot before committing to a huge shooting schedule.

• Love 2

Maybe if enough people choose not to watch this coming Saturday's show, Trading Spaces might re-think their choice of designer.  I hate to call for something like a boycott of Hildy but it seems an unfair luck of the draw to the couple whose room she does.  I don't mind a little shock and awe when done with good intentions and a sense of what would work for the homeowners. Surprises can be fun; but a surprise for shock value and to know that the design will shock (not in a good way) the homeowner is just unpleasant, mean-spirited and tacky.  I have so enjoyed the last couple of weeks...makes me realize why I loved this show when it first started.  

• Love 6

Clinton said he got in a huge fight with his HOs  on The Chew this morning.  Also said he would never do this show again for many reasons so that says he had issues with production, too.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Wings said:

Clinton said he got in a huge fight with his HOs  on The Chew this morning.  Also said he would never do this show again for many reasons so that says he had issues with production, too.  

Uh-oh. I would like to hear the backstory on this one, even after hearing the episode. I'm curious why they even chose Clinton to be a designer unless there is a "legacy" designer to help him; all I know of him is What Not To Wear so I'm not sure if he has any design background or talent for it. It's almost like they just picked a designer off the street, if their street was the TLC family.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Uh-oh. I would like to hear the backstory on this one, even after hearing the episode. I'm curious why they even chose Clinton to be a designer unless there is a "legacy" designer to help him; all I know of him is What Not To Wear so I'm not sure if he has any design background or talent for it. It's almost like they just picked a designer off the street, if their street was the TLC family.

He is friends with the President of TLC and they were talking and he said if they every brought it back he would love to do it.

• Love 2

Someone on FB said we only had 4 episodes left. 

I find it hard to believe there are only 4 episodes left.  Why bring back all 8(?) original designers, 3 new designers, Nate & Jeremiah, Clinton, and whoever else they might spring on us for a what, 9 or 10 episode season?  I can't seem to find anything online that officially says how many episodes there are.  

I'll definitely keep watching if for nothing else out of nostalgia and to see what some of my old favorite designers will do, but otherwise this show really doesn't work anymore.  America is much more savvy about design now and $2,000 is just not enough to do a convincing job without looking amateurish and cheap.  And I don't know how Hildi can keep a straight face talking about the 'integrity' of her designs when she is obviously coming up with the most ridiculous things she can think of for shock value.

• Love 3
On 5/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, mlp said:

What was this big fight about?  I don't watch The Chew any more so I have no idea and am curious.

He didn’t say anything other than “I had a big fight with my HOs.”  Maybe he meant the fight about the brown stripe.   That was nothing much.  

• Love 1

TLC has announced a renewal of the revived TS for season two (ten) for more than the eight episodes of season one (nine).  I'm a bit cpnfused by the thread title for season nine, episode nine, as according to TLC the season finale is this Saturday, June 2nd, not June 9th. Is that June 9th episode from the classic series?

1 hour ago, theschnauzers said:

TLC has announced a renewal of the revived TS for season two (ten) for more than the eight episodes of season one (nine).  I'm a bit cpnfused by the thread title for season nine, episode nine, as according to TLC the season finale is this Saturday, June 2nd, not June 9th. Is that June 9th episode from the classic series?

I'm happy that the show got renewed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

They need to do a better job of branding the show.  This reboot season felt completely random.  Except for Hildi (of all people!), I don't think anyone was on more than once, and stunt casting like using the carpenters or a fashion stylist like Clinton Kelly as designers, plus the crossover from their other show (not that Nate and Jeremiah did a bad job--they didn't); it felt like the producers were counting on our memories of the old show to drive viewership rather than defining the new show on its own terms.  And when the old seasons had as many as 60 episodes, to have a reboot season of less than ten, including one that was apparently little more than old footage reworked, seems more likely to lose long-term viewers rather than gain them.  

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I was excited about this show coming back until it did. I have 3 episodes on my DVR that I think I am just going to erase.

Yep, that's covers how I feel about this.

• Love 3

This reboot is just okay.  It is the same and it needed to be reworked. The higher budget covers inflation so that is not a change.  

I like the guest designers; I don’t like the lack of respect that Doug and Hildi bring back to the table.   I was hoping for an updated version, not an exact replica.  

I will still watch but with lower expectations.  

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I was excited about this show coming back until it did

Me too.  I watched the reunion episodes, but never got around to watching any of the new renovations.  I think I'm over it.

When the show was first on, it was must-see-TV for me.  I think that's what started the whole DIY movement (my parents never re-did anything in their home).  And now, with all of the designing shows, TS just seems so cheap - cheap flooring, cheap finishes, cheap and inexperienced labor, cheap woodwork.  Original TS was a good starting point, but I feel like we've all moved beyond this and expect more than this.  At least I do.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Me too.  I watched the reunion episodes, but never got around to watching any of the new renovations.  I think I'm over it.

When the show was first on, it was must-see-TV for me.  I think that's what started the whole DIY movement (my parents never re-did anything in their home).  And now, with all of the designing shows, TS just seems so cheap - cheap flooring, cheap finishes, cheap and inexperienced labor, cheap woodwork.  Original TS was a good starting point, but I feel like we've all moved beyond this and expect more than this.  At least I do.

For me, it is that plus some. Something seems off with this reincarnation. It is manufactured, gimmicky. A parody  of the original.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

For me, it is that plus some. Something seems off with this reincarnation. It is manufactured, gimmicky. A parody  of the original.

Yeah.  Something is off.  You can't bring any show back, make it exactly the same and expect it to be the hit it once was.  Time, decor and life marches on, things change.  This show is stuck in time and it feels forced as they try to duplicate it.   Paige, slow down and be yourself.  The perky worked back then but not now.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, meowmommy said:

They need to do a better job of branding the show.  This reboot season felt completely random.  Except for Hildi (of all people!), I don't think anyone was on more than once, and stunt casting like using the carpenters or a fashion stylist like Clinton Kelly as designers, plus the crossover from their other show (not that Nate and Jeremiah did a bad job--they didn't); it felt like the producers were counting on our memories of the old show to drive viewership rather than defining the new show on its own terms.  And when the old seasons had as many as 60 episodes, to have a reboot season of less than ten, including one that was apparently little more than old footage reworked, seems more likely to lose long-term viewers rather than gain them.  

It stumped me why in such a short season - was it really only nine episodes? - the only two designers they used more than once were Doug and Hildi. 

I'll definitely watch at least a few episodes whenever the next season airs. I'd love to see them calm Paige down, and stop trying so desperately to cling to the past. There's still an audience for this, so let it breathe and evolve. 

• Love 4

I was shocked to see so few episodes too. I thought we would get the original designers and then a bunch of episodes with the new designers. I used to watch every week but this time around Saturday night is not a great time for us. For some reason my on demand TLC keeps the episodes locked? my cable provider can't get it to work for anyone. 

I don't think it is the budget.  I think it would be better if the designers got to see the room they were going to redo via a video a few weeks before. Then the designers could show us how they go online or to stores and find deals and items. getting good deals takes planning and is not a 1 day project. We are selling our home and I spent the last year planning for the little upgrades I wanted to do buy carefully looking online. I;m lucky to have a very handy husband (but trading spaces has professional carpenters). I got a upholstered cushioned bead board window seat with storage built in for under $100. I redid my laundry room, new cabinet doors, hardware, counter tops an trim for $250. Everything I bought including bedding drapes, shades all took careful planning and price watching. I really miss how trading spaces used to show us every nickle spent on paint and supplies. This season I watched Vern;s episode and he said he got the headboard as a sample. We never got the price or how and if we the public can get great deals on samples. 

Ill give it a chance next season but not any special episodes like the ones that had Nate & Jeremiah or the carpenters switch. I just want to see useful projects and how much they cost and how to obtain the supplies.

• Love 2

I've thoroughly enjoyed the season and I'm glad they'll be back next year.  I'm also relieved they're not going back to the 50+ episodes a season thing that burned out the show for me the last time.  This season's 9 (or 8) episodes was nice.

I was dubious about this show coming back after all these years, but I find myself grinning like a goofball throughout every episode.  Its just so nice to have this simple, fun, upbeat show back!

• Love 7

I actually enjoyed most of the episodes, specifically the ones where the homeowners were good sports and liked their rooms. For me this works better as a feel good show than a dramatic show. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I was wondering why this show disappeared so fast. 9 episodes? Felt more like 5 or 6 and I can only remember what happened in maybe 1 right now.

Maybe 1,000 episodes would be overkill. but this is fluff time wasting type entertainment, not Mad Men or Breaking Bad, that it needs 'seasons', lol. Just vomit out a 100 episodes, take a 2 month break, then vomit out another 100.

And yeah, show seems a bit anachronistic

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Also premiering on that date is the re-boot of While You Were Out.

Also on TLC, I presume. 

I remember While You Were Out being the little sibling of Trading Spaces, ratings-wise and popularity-wise. I don't remember WYWO becoming the cultural phenomenon TS did. Was there really enough of an interest to bring that one back? 

32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Also on TLC, I presume. 

I remember While You Were Out being the little sibling of Trading Spaces, ratings-wise and popularity-wise. I don't remember WYWO becoming the cultural phenomenon TS did. Was there really enough of an interest to bring that one back? 

I want to say I found it on HGTV, even though the Google says both channels (I'm too lazy to switch back from my Hulu binge to check my DVR right now).  WYWO was pretty popular, back in the day, and I enjoyed both shows.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I want to say I found it on HGTV, even though the Google says both channels (I'm too lazy to switch back from my Hulu binge to check my DVR right now).  WYWO was pretty popular, back in the day, and I enjoyed both shows.

I liked WYWO, for the most part. 

• Love 1

I didn't realize they were bringing back WYWO (or maybe I heard it and forgot...it seems like forever since the first season of the reboot).     I liked WYWO, but more because of the hosts and the carpenters and generally kooky designers rather than the setup...which seemed contrived at best.  Not sure how a reboot of it will work out.

I would imagine even if it airs on TLC, it will be on HGTV too.   TLC and HGTV (and Food Network) are owned by the same parent company now.  They already moved Cake Boss over to FN (or tried, I don't think it did well there) and have Buddy on a new show with Duff there.   Trading Spaces and WYWO are a better fit with HGTV, in theory at least.   It's pretty much all real estate, all the time there now but I can't imagine they won't try to make these shows work there.  

• Love 1

I'm one that found While You Were Out first and I fell in love with it. Eventually I added on Trading Spaces. I may be nuts, but I liked a lot of the concepts of WYWO, especially for children. Their tastes are going to change that it doesn't matter a lot if there's a theme of something silly. As long as the changes are safe and non structural, they're probably easy to remove and paint over. But I have never forgotten the one with the browbeaten wife, the overbearing husband and the holes in the deck and paint on his outside walls. That was one furious dude.

• Love 2

The new season starts tomorrow night, not tonight.

(There's a "countdown to the new season" special airing at 7:00 EDT, and then the new episode in the regular time slot at 8:00 EDT.)

• Love 3