Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Eggs Over, Not Easy

3 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

Roseanne Barr did say that there just wasn't room in these nine episodes to include Jerry and Andy (though they did briefly mention Jerry in the first episode), so I take that to mean that Andy still exists. At least, it's not their intention to retcon him out of canonical existence.

I would rather see storylines including Jerry and Andy since they were part of the core family and were basically babies when the show ended.  That would be much more interesting than Darlene's kids.  

• Love 8

I don't know if I agree with that. Sarah's Becky did work at Buns but that was for a purpose. She was very strong willed in thinking she would work there to put Mark through college and then when Mark had a good job it would be her time for college.

This! Both Beckys as said earlier were ambitious to an extent but easily distracted.  I feel like Sarah Chalke's Becky gets a lot of slack for being a bimbo when there wasn't a huge difference between her and Lecys Becky. Chalke's Becky was just prettier. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And Dan taking a stand and putting his foot down with Roseanne? YES. THANK YOU.

THIS. It's not entertaining when Dan cowtows to Rosie (tho his 'yikes' look when he sat at the table was GREAT.)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

Since when did animal shelters deem that a women in her 50s is"too old" to adopt?  It's not like she's in her 90s and has dementia.  That whole plot seemed very unrealistic.

Is Jackie supposed to be in her 50's?  Becky is 43, Jackie should be at least 60, but that still should not be a factor in adopting the dog.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Ina123 said:

Even though I know some animal rescue groups have crazy rules, denying Jackie the dog for that reason was just ridiculous. It's not like she is 90 and has dementia. I adopted my rescue 8 years ago. I was presented with a 5 page contract with questions that felt like a colonoscopy. It really did invade my privacy. I refused to answer 5 of their questions and wouldn't sign it. A friend of mine actually had fostered my dog and I asked her to put in a good word for me. On her word, they let me have my 80 lb mutt. So, even though the rules are there to protect the animal, I think some of the restrictions are overboard. I know there must be good people out there who don't want to jump through the hoops and are denied a dog or cat, some for good reasons. But it's a shame to think of them missing out on a forever home because of paper work. My Roxy is the sweetest and most gentle creature I've ever known.

Yes, Becky's tattoo looked terrible. But I'm a tattoo hater and old-fashioned.

The best scene was Dan really putting his foot down about Roseanne's interference with Becky. Even though it was delivered like an order, Roseanne knew he was right. Dan waiting for Roseanne to explode was hilarious.

I have worked in dog rescue for years with a very large outfit who has their dogs on a ranch.  There is a 2 page form with no invasive questions. We did home visits.  I have done many of those and only refused 2 people.  Our policy was no dog will live/sleep outside so that was one.  What you experienced was ridiculous.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 10

We had to promise that someone would always be home, that we would never de-claw and that the cats would be strictly indoor. The only one we lied about was that someone would always be home. That's why we got two cats. I was a vet tech and I have seen cats de-clawed, it's horrific and I would NEVER do it.

• Love 10

I get a different vibe about Andy vs Jerry. They specifically mentioned where Jerry is the very first episode. They mentioned Becky losing her husband that same episode. They are dancing  around David’s whereabouts, but the kids exist so....Andy- they’ve gone out of their way to establish Jackie is only an aunt and has no one and no role but aunt. So mention where Andy is, why he’s not in Jackie's life.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5

Unless they paid someone to watch each original episode frame by frame there’s going to be some variations. As long as it stays true to the main premise of the original show I’m fine with some things being a little off from the original.

They don't need to pay someone to go back and watch each episode. There are plenty of fans who have a basic grasp on the character histories, enough to remember that Becky went to community college or that Harris should be 20 or that Jackie has a son, etc. etc. If that weren't the case there wouldn't be so many people on this forum pointing out the discrepancies. They just don't care about continuity, and that's the real issue here. It's sort of disrespectful to the fans of the show. 

• Love 14

I can't remember where I saw it or heard it, but apparently Clooney said no to making an appearance. 

I'm very suspicious that this is something they want us to believe and that he really is going to show up.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AM1418 said:

I need to go read some more interviews then. Everything I have seen she says they didn't have the time to address Andy in this season, and hoped to flesh him out more if they were given another season or 2 to work with. Not that he no longer exists. 

What's to flesh out? They could just throw out a line about how Jackie has no life ever since Andy left, or some other generic line. Hopefully they'll do that in one of the remaining episodes.

• Love 6

BTW, I just remembered where I heard that George Clooney isn't supposed to be on the show: It was when Roseanne and John Goodman recently appeared on Howard Stern. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I'm very suspicious that this is something they want us to believe and that he really is going to show up.  

They would be hyping it to the max if George was going to appear.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I could see him showing up as a washed up Booker, either homeless or down on his luck job wise.

• Love 3
Just now, UYI said:

BTW, I just remembered where I heard that George Clooney isn't supposed to be on the show: It was when Roseanne and John Goodman recently appeared on Howard Stern. 

I have heard that from several sources.  

1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

What's to flesh out? They could just throw out a line about how Jackie has no life ever since Andy left, or some other generic line. Hopefully they'll do that in one of the remaining episodes.

They could have just thrown a line into the pre-dinner prayer in the first episode, right after Jerry on the fishing boat.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thank you.  I sort of wondered if he was named in honor of Becky's Mark, but Darlene?  Naming her kid after him?  Kinda weird.  They're either going to be covering a lot of chit in the next few eps, or we're left to build the story in our heads.

Davis was Mark's brother so it is easy to understand why he would want his son named after his brother.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

I’m so frustrated with this! I really wanted Jackie to have something going on in her life. Ugh. 

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the drunk sister bonding and hope we get to see more of Darlene and Becky being all sisterly. Also, I’ll always love Darlene’s smart mouth in general, but her dry delivery of “wasted as duck” killed me dead. Lol! 

"...wasted as duck" is hilarious because that's what my iPhone changes fuck to.  At least it did the first few times I typed fuck.  Now my smart phone has learned that I'm a heathen and it's given up on changing my curse words.  I liked this episode.  I've liked all of the episodes.  Favorite part was when the drunk sisters hugged (or did I imagine that) and when Dan yelled at Roseanne, she threw the frozen dinner at him, left the room and said DING.

• Love 11

Regarding Booker, I liked his character, but I think the odds of him still being in Lanford this whole time would be slim to none. He managed Wellman, so I'm assuming he had a college degree. If job prospects in their area were dwindling he probably would've relocated years ago.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They don't need to pay someone to go back and watch each episode. There are plenty of fans who have a basic grasp on the character histories, enough to remember that Becky went to community college or that Harris should be 20 or that Jackie has a son, etc. etc. If that weren't the case there wouldn't be so many people on this forum pointing out the discrepancies. They just don't care about continuity, and that's the real issue here. It's sort of disrespectful to the fans of the show. 

Exactly. We're not talking about random details that were mentioned in exactly one episode that only an obsessed superfan who's seen every episode 20 times would remember. I mean central storylines and basic and crucial plot points to the character's histories. Roseanne and Jackie being against spanking because they were beaten as children -- that was an ongoing story arc for years, and now Roseanne and Dan and apparently Jackie are all about kids needing a spanking. That's a continuity fuck-up. Becky had to have completed high school because she attended college classes -- it was even a big deal when Roseanne and Dan gave her a check to pay for tuition and they flipped out when she used the money to send Mark to a trade program. Now Becky apparently never finished high school? That's a continuity fuck-up. Jackie had a kid. Her pregnancy was a main storyline in season 6 and, oh yeah, her son existed afterward. Now, it's not clear, but they seem to be acting like she's not a mother, that Andy doesn't exist in this story. Again, Roseanne Barr implied that this is not the case, they just didn't have time in the limited number of episodes to include him, but they're kind of acting like he doesn't exist, and if that's what's going on, again, a continuity fuck-up. These are major character details that you don't have to have been a superfan to notice -- if you watched the original show at all and have a good general knowledge of the main storylines you ought to know this, and so one would think that people involved in writing for a reboot would take the time to familiarize themselves with the story they're writing about. It feels like they didn't bother.

• Love 20
19 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Exactly. We're not talking about random details that were mentioned in exactly one episode that only an obsessed superfan who's seen every episode 20 times would remember. I mean central storylines and basic and crucial plot points to the character's histories. Roseanne and Jackie being against spanking because they were beaten as children -- that was an ongoing story arc for years, and now Roseanne and Dan and apparently Jackie are all about kids needing a spanking. That's a continuity fuck-up. Becky had to have completed high school because she attended college classes -- it was even a big deal when Roseanne and Dan gave her a check to pay for tuition and they flipped out when she used the money to send Mark to a trade program. Now Becky apparently never finished high school? That's a continuity fuck-up. Jackie had a kid. Her pregnancy was a main storyline in season 6 and, oh yeah, her son existed afterward. Now, it's not clear, but they seem to be acting like she's not a mother, that Andy doesn't exist in this story. Again, Roseanne Barr implied that this is not the case, they just didn't have time in the limited number of episodes to include him, but they're kind of acting like he doesn't exist, and if that's what's going on, again, a continuity fuck-up. These are major character details that you don't have to have been a superfan to notice -- if you watched the original show at all and have a good general knowledge of the main storylines you ought to know this, and so one would think that people involved in writing for a reboot would take the time to familiarize themselves with the story they're writing about. It feels like they didn't bother.

Perfectly said. I'm a watcher of Fuller House, but they did pay attention to those details, I'm talking small ones and the main story lines from years ago. Because it was what MADE the characters. Here, they basically said: "We have to make these stories work, so we will right it any way want to." I also call foul not only on the adoption agency with saying Jackie was too old to have a dog, but also the doctor saying: "For 33, you have eggs of a much, much older woman." I wanted him to spill the news and say: "You can lie all you want, but you might not look it, but your body is 43, not 33." Because they will know from testing if a patient is lying about their age. There are factors that tell a woman's fertility rate and how it ties in with their age. Basically the doctor said that Becky has had problems for years, but no one knew since Mark died and she gave up on things. 

• Love 6
On 4/10/2018 at 8:35 PM, LadyintheLoop said:

Becky can get wasted as duck on the job?

You would be surprised at what people can get away with in food service jobs. I once worked as a banquet server, and one night on a really busy night we kept sneaking drinks from the open bar. Hell, I know people who come into work stoned on a regular basis. If Becky has a lenient boss, it doesn't matter. I can't imagine the standards being that high for a cheesy Mexican restaurant. It's not like Becky is working in an office.

23 hours ago, AM1418 said:

I noticed something Roseanne said that might elude to Andy. She said Jackie hasn’t something in a decade. Possibly referring to her not speaking to Andy in 10 years. That would have made him a teenager if he chose to go live with Fred. 

She also mentioned Becky having an uncle that never delivered and just walked around on two legs. That could be a reference to how Andy was overdue. I mean, if Andy does exist, he should be 25-ish and that's enough time for him and Jackie to have been estranged enough that he's basically dead to her.

My sister had a period in her 20's where she slept with at least one of her former teachers. I'm assuming Becky did the same thing.

That really felt like a solid episode. Even Becky's voice has returned to something resembling normal.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Since I stated I wasn't a full time watcher of Roseanne, the talk about Andy doesn't mean much to me.  BUT I can easily understand why it would be annoying to those who watched a good portion the first time around and is integral to Jackie's background.  It's not like this is an admitted retcon of the last season of "Dan is alive!  Wait, he's dead!  Scratch that, he's alive!"  It's someone who was there and not worth the mention for whatever reason, much like Judy on Family Matters.   

I did enjoy the Darlene/Becky scenes.  I feel that Sara has been itching to do more acting just to get away from the daily grind of a talk show and having a blast doing this again. 

• Love 1

I almost think they aren't mentioning characters because they aren't sure if they are going to appear at some later point (ie next season).

Maybe they want Ned Beatty to come back but they aren't sure if he will so they won't commit to say if his character is dead or not.

Same with Andy. Maybe they want to leave his character open for future development so they aren't specifying right now.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

She also mentioned Becky having an uncle that never delivered and just walked around on two legs. That could be a reference to how Andy was overdue.

Andy is her cousin, though, not her uncle.

I haven't yet had a chance to watch this episode, but I lost my will to stay away from the thread and took a peek to see people's reactions.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the Darlene/Becky interaction! 

Anyway, if a character said Becky didn't finish high school, that's both accurate and consistent with how they've talked about it before -- Becky and Darlene both left high school without earning a diploma, instead earning equivalency certificates.  So when David graduated high school, Dan and Roseanne talked about how he was the first of their kids to do so.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

I'm just assuming that the Connors never mention Andy because it's such a sore point with Jackie.

Roseanne doesn’t have near enough tact to respect something like that, though. If Jackie were estranged from Andy and Roseanne was less than in 100% agreement with the reason, she’d be hassling Jackie about it constantly, even if it really was a sore or painful subject for Jackie. The most important thing for Roseanne is to be right and make everyone do things the way she would do them. Any feelings Jackie would have about that would definitely come secondary to Roseanne’s opinion. Especially since it would have to do with raising kids. Jackie could never do anything right in Roseanne’s eyes in general, and raising kids would definitely be one of those areas in which she’d be delighted to point out anything she thought Jackie was doing wrong. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Except for the fact that the shelter mentioned putting the dog down rather than giving it to a healthy 60 year old....I was fine with them stealing the dog.

Two weeks ago, a lady that fosters dogs for the no kill shelter I volunteer with, was showing a litter of puppies that she took in for our rescue, after the mama dog had been hit by a car. She bottle fed the pups, who were less than a week old when mama dog passed. They were just old enough (8 weeks) to start taking applications on. After showing them, later that night, someone broke into her home and stole a pup.  Cops were called. It was on all the Lost and Found Pet Facebook groups, and the local news picked it up. Three days later, the thieves dumped the pup in her yard and took off. The exposure spooked them. He’s fine now, after being checked by a vet. It’s really not funny. It’s a crime. 

It was also far fetched. Jackie would have only been turned down if she rented and there was a “no pets” policy that she was ignoring, or she had a bad track record on a vet check. Neither is a probable reason if she still lives in that same house, and has never had a pet. Age certainly shouldn’t have been used. She’s not old. It was just a badly thought through gag used for cheap laughs. Realistically, stealing a dog from a rescue would get the cops called on them. Not to mention being arrested. I can’t think of any shelter or rescue that would shrug it off and say, “Oh well. We’re going to kill it anyway.” Or that would TELL SOMEONE THAT.

it just struck me as irresponsible and lazy writing. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9
On 4/10/2018 at 9:22 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thank you.  I sort of wondered if he was named in honor of Becky's Mark, but Darlene?  Naming her kid after him?  Kinda weird.  They're either going to be covering a lot of chit in the next few eps, or we're left to build the story in our heads.

I guess it’s not as weird if you think of it as David naming his kid after his deceased brother.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, sab85 said:

I liked the small detail of Dan wearing a Cubs World Series hoodie. That is totally a shirt Dan Connor would have.

Cough-cough...I have that exact hoodie...so does my son....cough-cough.

Dan is a Cubs fan. I picture the character standing in front of the couch, watching TV, empty chip bags and beer cans (maybe light beer) scattered on the coffee table in front of him, yelling with his hands in the air, as the Cubs won Game Seven, for the first time in his lifetime.  Yelling like he did when he found out that Bev broke her pelvis having sex. 

• Love 10
On 4/10/2018 at 7:45 PM, Colorado David said:

Lol La Casanita Bonita made me laugh. We here have the only remaining Casa Bonita , and it's very cheesy.

That made me think of THE Casa Bonita as well (I didn't realize there was ever more than one).  I was randomly thinking just a few days ago that I hadn't been there since I was a teenager, I have no idea why it randomly popped into my head.  I think the sibs and I need to round up the kids and make a pilgrimage.  I hope they still have the cliff divers!

I figured that the Fa-burg-ee egg had to be a lookalike candy dish or something like you'd find at Pier One, because a real one would be WAY over the 50k she was getting for the surrogacy.  Or would that just be the Imperial ones? (Thanks to whoever gave the 33 million figure upthread, that had to be an Imperial one!)

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Season 8 Becky wants to go to go into the medical field its the one where they live in a trailer  and mark thinks hes going to lose Becky when she gets her GED and goes to college

This is why I think Mark had a long illness. A husband getting cancer might make Becky put her plans on hold.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We had to promise that someone would always be home...

Ridiculous. How would a single person ever be able to adopt? Besides, no one can make that promise.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ina123 said:

Ridiculous. How would a single person ever be able to adopt? Besides, no one can make that promise.

It is ridiculous, that's why everyone lies to them. I've left all my dogs while I went to work (so I could afford to take care of them) and they were all fine.  It was only if I was going to be gone longer then 9 or 10 hours I would arrange to have someone watch my dogs or take them for a walk. 

• Love 6

The B story with the dog should have been scrapped.

I can't believe noone realized that the animal shelter totally DID NOT work. 

The A story was pretty weak too. In the first 5 minutes we know Becky can't have kids and the surrogacy story is dead. Then the last acts are just Becky and Darlene at the Mexican restaurant and that seemed incredibly slow paced. Perfect chance to explain Mark's death, but no.

4 episodes in and they've run out of material.

Edited by Mmmfloorpie
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Cough-cough...I have that exact hoodie...so does my son....cough-cough.

Dan is a Cubs fan. I picture the character standing in front of the couch, watching TV, empty chip bags and beer cans (maybe light beer) scattered on the coffee table in front of him, yelling with his hands in the air, as the Cubs won Game Seven, for the first time in his lifetime.  Yelling like he did when he found out that Bev broke her pelvis having sex. 

I don't have that sweatshirt, but other WS Champion Sweatshirts. When I see Dan in that sweatshirt it makes me wonder, like you, how he reacted. I would have LOVED to have seen that play out. I went insane being a fan for 20 years, imagine what he did being a fan probably twice as long. LOL. Nice continuity on the wardrobe's part too. He wore a Cubs cap a lot in the original series. 

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

The B story with the dog should have been scrapped.

I can't believe noone realized that the animal shelter totally DID NOT work. 

The A story was pretty weak too. In the first 5 minutes we know Becky can't have kids and the surrogacy story is dead. Then the last acts are just Becky and Darlene at the Mexican restaurant and that seemed incredibly slow paced. Perfect chance to explain Mark's death, but no.

Yep. They could have just had Roseanne and Jackie go back to the rescue to readopt Becky's dog as a gesture. But no. They had to go for the slapstick, which really wasn't funny, and steal the dog from the "big bad rescue that was going to put it down."   Whatever, Roseanne and writers. 

And yeah, the Becky and Darlene booze swilling heart-to-heart would have been so much cooler and touching, if they HAD spent the time to address the Mark siutation. 

• Love 8

This is now in the same arena with sitcoms that have stellar writing and the comparison is striking.  

For starters they should have used the sound track with Roseanne's original laugh.  New laugh is straight out of a horror movie.  

I think Roseanne has way too much control and the reason why this may be falling flat. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

That sounds ridiculous. They'd never be able to make ends meet for the rescue if they put those type of restrictions. And a FIVE page application? Also weird. Our's is two pages. Just the standard stuff. Name, address, references, name of vet.  But they do call the vet, and the references, and do a personal yard check.  Because people LIE.   Don't let one bad experience at a particularly anal rescue stop you from adopting a pet. 

References?    Personal home visit?  They aren't applying for a job.  They're trying to do you a favor.  A person who wants a dog could easily distill it to a simple monetary transaction at a pet store in lieu of getting the third degree from you.

This is why I found the dog rescue storyline particularly believable.  That's the way animal rescue organizations are. 

Edited by RayAdverb
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Not giving specifics about Mark's passing really grates. I understand not writing it as a drug overdose out of respect for Glenn, but the audience is owed some sort of explanation. Mark was such a huge part of Becky's storyline and the conflict she had with her parents. Why not just say he got into a car accident on his way to work and be done with it? It would at least give everyone some closure on the subject. It feels like Roseanne and the writers aren't respecting the attachment viewers of the original series have towards these characters. Retconning Harris' age for plot purposes is one thing, but leaving Mark's death open-ended is another. There has to be some fluidity between Original and New and it feels like they don't really care. 

• Love 5

There are two possibilities for Mark's death: 1) they're taking the Glee route and not mentioning it out of respect for the actor, or 2) they're saving it for David's episode which is coming up next.

• Love 10

I missed the very beginning.  What happened with DJ?

I don't really know how they would have worked Mark's cause of death into Becky's conversation with Darlene that would have seemed natural.  If "ever since your husband died" rather than "ever since Mark died" in that one episode was problematic, then I don't know why "ever since Mark died in that motorcycle accident" wouldn't have been problematic here.  Becky knows how her husband died.  She's miserable and her sister provided unnecessary details isn't helpful.

Regarding Becky being referred to as not finishing high school, when she's supposed to have a GED:  It may not be true for everyone, but I know people who have GEDs who don't refer to that as "finishing high school."  It's either instead of high school or something they did after they quit high school.  And if you want to give someone a dig, or discuss how awful their life is, you're not going to mention the GED part.

It looked like the dog was coming from an animal shelter.  Do animal "rescues" have facilities like that? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Regarding Becky being referred to as not finishing high school, when she's supposed to have a GED:  It may not be true for everyone, but I know people who have GEDs who don't refer to that as "finishing high school."  It's either instead of high school or something they did after they quit high school.  And if you want to give someone a dig, or discuss how awful their life is, you're not going to mention the GED part.

Yeah. Didn't Darlene also not technically finish high school since she got her GED so she could go to writing school in Chicago? It was kind of a big deal for the Connors when David actually graduated because they didn't think they would get a chance to see a graduation ceremony. (We don't know yet if DJ actually finished high school- he was about 15 when the show ended. And Jerry is apparently working as a fisherman, so he's also not doing anything that would require a diploma.)

I don't know though, it's really hard for me to bug out so much about continuity when this show has never been great at it, to the point that they even mocked themselves for it. (I.E. "David's not even his real name, Darlene just made it up!") Boy Meets World/Girl Meets World was the same way- a lot of things got retconned or details were off.

I'm just glad that it looks like Lecy is starting to feel way less awkward than in the pilot.

• Love 3