Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Eggs Over, Not Easy

47 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

In the opening scene, DJ looked like he was unpacking a military bag. I wonder if he is also living there temporarily and they just haven’t acknowledged it or if he is also using their laundry facilities. 

I think Darlene is in Dj's old room and Mark and Harris are in Becky and Darlene's old room which leaves the basement open

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

And fourth, I hate to admit, is Jackie. She used to be a crazy mess, but in a plausible enough way that she seemed like a real person bein driven nuts. Now, they're cranking up the crazy so much that she doesn't even seem like she's on the same show as the others. It's too bad. I'd like her to take it down a notch and have the show revolve around five characters, not four. But the writers seem to think for some reason that their sitcom needs a comedy relief character, so they've turned her into some kind of extremely depressed, yet still extremely manic, Kramer from "Seinfeld." This is the character peeve that bothers me the most. Because the Jackie/ Roseanne dynamic used to be one of the cornerstones of what made the original show great.

Well said, she has become "Krameresque". And agree with your sentiment, most of the best moments IMO were between Roseanne and Jackie, and Roseanne and Dan. I hope for LM's sake they give her character more depth and seriousness so she can get out of this Gilligan syndrome.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Richard said:

I miss Roseanne Conner's laughter. This version of the character seems so angry and confrontational.

Agree! Roseanne and Becky are so nasty to each other, I don't find it the least bit amusing. Becky screaming at Roseanne in the kitchen had me cringing. I wish Roseanne would show Becky some compassion and Becky would respect her mother more. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

It's like the Faberge egg. It's the whackiest, stupidest, most unrealistic thing that Andrea would ever give Becky, but it gave Jackie that line mispronouncing it.

Jackie's pronunciation of Faberge was a joke that was beneath this show - seems like something they would have done on Beverly Hillbillies.   I can go along with Andrea giving Becky a Faberge egg - Becky was giving Andrea one of her eggs, so Andrea gave Becky an egg.  It being a Faberge egg jsut highlights that Andrea is wealthy.  Besides, what other sort of egg could  Andrea give.  

That said, the timing of giving her an egg was weird - who would give such an expensive gift so early in the process.  Most would wait at least until there was a pregnancy.  The whole thing just seems like it was only done to be the set up of a "Beverly Hillbillies type" joke.  

13 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Please don’t turn Becky and Darlene into Jackie and Roseanne 2.0. That’s all we need is WACKY Becky ugh 

I think it is already too late.  Darlene - snarky mom without enough money.  Becky - lonely aunt who sleeps around and drinks too much.  

• Love 18

Jesus, someone in this family has to win sometime.  Why wouldn’t Becky not move in with Jackie?  They both get some support and companionship, and Becky could save some rent money, Jackie gets some extra income.  Becky has more financial freedom, can learn a trade at least.

Not digging the overall depressive mood.  Things were awful 10 years ago, but surely a couple of connors could make it to middle class?  If Roseann can get Uber work, why can’t Becky?  

At least the surrogate story is a bust.  Now tell us why a single, childless 43 yo who has a family who could at least provide her with a temporary home is still spinning her wheels.   

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Considering the last Faberge egg sold for $33 million dollars, I doubt Andrea has that kind of money at all let alone to be giving it away.

I figured it was a knock off, more decorative than valuable (that way they could still get the Faberge joke in, but remain plausible.)

• Love 8

All the references to Jackie not having anyone and being lonely obviously means that Andy doesn't exist.  

I'm confused as to why this is "obvious"; he's just not been mentioned, and people can be lonely even when loved ones do exist, especially if they are far away or estranged or whatever. "Having no one" might refer to a romantic partner; clearly she doesn't have no one, considering that she's interacting with her family. 

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I think Darlene is in Dj's old room and Mark and Harris are in Becky and Darlene's old room which leaves the basement open

I don't think DJ and Mary are in the basement. In the first episode right before dinner DJ and Mary come in thru the front door, take off their coats and come to the dinner table. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't staying there, but I don't think that he is. Furthermore, when he finds out he's not allergic to dogs, he storms out the back door. I'm assuming to his home. 

1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm confused as to why this is "obvious"; he's just not been mentioned, and people can be lonely even when loved ones do exist, especially if they are far away or estranged or whatever. "Having no one" might refer to a romantic partner; clearly she doesn't have no one, considering that she's interacting with her family. 

THIS! All of THIS!

I hate that people are assuming Jackie is alone or they're pretending to ignore Andy's existence. There is so much Bev in Jackie that I find it entirely possible that Andy got sick of it, left to live with Fred and hasn't looked back.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

I hate that people are assuming Jackie is alone or they're pretending to ignore Andy's existence. There is so much Bev in Jackie that I find it entirely possible that Andy got sick of it, left to live with Fred and hasn't looked back.

you are going to die alone is what Roseanne was alluding to so yea its pretty safe to say Jackie has no Andy at this point.. aunt Jackie is the only title i have is also another big indicator even if they were estranged she would still have title of mother 

• Love 7

Roseanne Barr did say that there just wasn't room in these nine episodes to include Jerry and Andy (though they did briefly mention Jerry in the first episode), so I take that to mean that Andy still exists. At least, it's not their intention to retcon him out of canonical existence.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

Since when did animal shelters deem that a women in her 50s is"too old" to adopt?  It's not like she's in her 90s and has dementia.  That whole plot seemed very unrealistic.

Or that that shelter worker wouldn't really call the police when they stole it...

• Love 10
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

This post is singing my life with its words @bamlouie - she is totally Gilligan Jackie and it's making me insane.  We all know Laurie Metcalf is brilliant and completely capable of bridging the gap between early seasons Jackie and wacky Jackie, so why won't they let her?  I can overlook some of the other issues (although I still can't get past Roseanne suddenly being pro-spanking), but not this one.  Laurie/Jackie deserves so much better than what we've seen thus far.

Agree 100%. I loathe Wacky Jackie with every fiber of my being. Sure, Early Years Jackie had some negative qualities, i.e., being a disaster in relationships, but she was also smart, fun, funny, a loving sister/aunt and willing to go beyond her comfort zone. It's insulting to the character and Laurie's talent to reduce Jackie to this slapstick nonsense.

• Love 24
15 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

I don't think DJ and Mary are in the basement. In the first episode right before dinner DJ and Mary come in thru the front door, take off their coats and come to the dinner table. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't staying there, but I don't think that he is. Furthermore, when he finds out he's not allergic to dogs, he storms out the back door. I'm assuming to his home. 

Agreed. I got the impression he came with his daughter to visit, not that they live there. The only one I'm seeing living there is Darlene. If they do live there, they are out of sight a LOT of the time, as opposed to Darlene who's around constantly (when she's not applying at Build a Bear - lol.) I wish they'd have her apply to be a substitute teacher, they could mine lots of funny stuff if she's teaching a classroom.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

you are going to die alone is what Roseanne was alluding to so yea its pretty safe to say Jackie has no Andy at this point.. aunt Jackie is the only title i have is also another big indicator even if they were estranged she would still have title of mother 

My husband and his mother are severely estranged. She will die alone as well, as he is her only child and he has no want to be in her life. Any kid we have wouldn't call her grandma. He doesn't call her mother. He calls her by her given name. Situations happen where parents become so estranged from their children that they are left alone (assuming they have no husband, and my mother in law doesn't, she's divorced.)

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Agree 100%. I loathe Wacky Jackie with every fiber of my being. Sure, Early Years Jackie had some negative qualities, i.e., being a disaster in relationships, but she was also smart, fun, funny, a loving sister/aunt and willing to go beyond her comfort zone. It's insulting to the character and Laurie's talent to reduce Jackie to this slapstick nonsense.

I hate this new Jackie.  Does she have to insert her life-coaching vocabulary and opinions into every frigging conversation?  It was funny the first couple of times, now it's downright annoying.   The writers need to tone down the Crazy Jackie several notches.

Edited by Phoebe70
forgot a word
  • Love 12

But if you are estranged from your kid--especially an adult kid--you kind of don't have the title of "mother." And, again, "dying alone" possibly refers to being single; Jackie's not alone if she has a sister there saying that stuff.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

Agreed. I got the impression he came with his daughter to visit, not that they live there. The only one I'm seeing living there is Darlene. If they do live there, they are out of sight a LOT of the time, as opposed to Darlene who's around constantly (when she's not applying at Build a Bear - lol.) I wish they'd have her apply to be a substitute teacher, they could mine lots of funny stuff if she's teaching a classroom.

I would hope the whole classroom barks!!! LOL!

This is a really great idea though. It would be comedic gold.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

My husband and his mother are severely estranged. She will die alone as well, as he is her only child and he has no want to be in her life. Any kid we have wouldn't call her grandma. He doesn't call her mother. He calls her by her given name. Situations happen where parents become so estranged from their children that they are left alone (assuming they have no husband, and my mother in law doesn't, she's divorced.)

I am estranged from my mother IRL and no matter what she is still a mother she had me that is her title i may call her by her name yet everyone in my family knows that she is my mother and call her as such

• Love 1
Just now, Keywestclubkid said:

I am estranged from my mother IRL and no matter what she is still a mother she had me that is her title i may call her by her name yet everyone in my family knows that she is my mother and call her as such

We'll just agree to disagree on the case of Andy then. ;0)

• Love 6

Becky - lonely aunt who sleeps around and drinks too much. 

And comes over to do her laundry.

In the first episode right before dinner DJ and Mary come in thru the front door, take off their coats and come to the dinner table. 

And Mary throws herself into Granny Rose's arms. Looks like they don't see each other all that often, and it's a treat when they do.

It would help if they told us what Darlene actually did, i.e. what was her job before?

I just want to know why she lost her job. If she had to uproot her kids after she was fired for cause, that would explain her guilty indulgence of Harris.

• Love 5

I've never been to a doctor who has not required my ID , that has my birth year on it.  How did the doctor know that fast that her eggs were no good ? 

ALso, Jackie's pronunciation of "Fah-berge" reminded me of a news anchor, a real one, who pronounced Versace as Ver-sayce.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 11

I detected a trace of Mary Cooper's southern accent from Laurie Metcalf in the scene where Becky was given the Faberge egg. She needs to watch that because Jackie never had a southern twang.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this reboot is playing no homage whatsoever to continuity and pretending that no one has ever watched the original show and/or has no memory, so now I'm thinking that Roseanne was serious and RebootBecky did not finish high school or attend any college classes. We'll just pretend none of that ever happened.

And this bothers me to varying degrees. There are certainly little things I can overlook, but it's foolish to ignore the fact that Roseanne reruns have been on the air in perpetuity for the past 20 years all over the world. Audiences know these characters and their histories like the back of their hands. This wasn't some obscure little show that ran for five years and was then forgotten all about. The writers simply don't have the liberty to play fast and loose with history without the audience rightfully crying foul. 

People are assuming Andy no longer exists because (apparently) Roseanne Barr has said so in interviews. And that's just baffling. They haven't ignored the existence of Jerry Garcia, who played a much smaller part in the show's history and was born towards the end of the series. Why ignore Andy whose story played a major role in Jackie's life? The only possible reason is because they want to "re-imagine" Jackie in a completely different way, and that just doesn't sit well with me. She was simply too important a character on this show to re-invent for the purpose of this reboot. 

• Love 14

People are assuming Andy no longer exists because (apparently) Roseanne Barr has said so in interviews. And that's just baffling. They haven't ignored the existence of Jerry Garcia, who played a much smaller part in the show's history and was born towards the end of the series. Why ignore Andy whose story played a major role in Jackie's life? The only possible reason is because they want to "re-imagine" Jackie in a completely different way, and that just doesn't sit well with me. She was simply too important a character on this show to re-invent for the purpose of this reboot. 

It seems like another way that TPTB are trying to denigrate and trivialize the Jackie character.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I know they're still filling in some of the backstory of the past 20 years, but I really hope some more side characters get introduced soon. Their world felt so fleshed out when we saw recurring friends, co-workers, and neighbors, and I'd love to recapture some of that, even with new friends. 

I would love it if they could have an appearance by Booker (probably never gonna happen) or at least mention him in passing. He wasn't a huge character and it was before Clooney became a superstar but I liked him with Jackie, and how he would socialize with the gang outside of work, even as their manager at Wellman.

I remember when Mark died in real life. Such a waste. I never saw him in anything else but he was a handsome young man and good in his role as bad boy Mark.

I know, I need a hobby lol.

• Love 5

I didn't laugh as much this episode but I did enjoy the Dan/Roseanne and Becky/Darlene interactions. It was nice to get back to the main family--I like Mark so far but am not feeling Harris as much. The whole "Fab-erge" mispronunciation was not funny but I did enjoy Jackie trying to hold on to it when Andrea was clearly trying to get it back. Which was tacky in my opinion. Don't give a gift and take it back. If it's contingent on Becky's performance then wait until you've got the baby before giving the "gift."

I do think Becky wanting kids with Mark, losing him, being stuck in time without him, getting older and finding out it might be too late to have kids a valid story line. But in a selfish way, I wish that we could have just one TV character of a child-free woman who doesn't need kids to feel fulfilled and doesn't make a hail mary pass to have kids near the end of her child-bearing years. The only time we get that is when the woman is evil like Claire Underwood. Of course, I don't know where the story is going but Becky was clearly feeling bad about finding out her out her chances of conceiving. 

I really like Darlene this time around. She might be my favorite character now. And like everyone else, I wish they'd let Jackie be the old Jackie. She was great.

• Love 12

Since when did animal shelters deem that a women in her 50s is"too old" to adopt?

Yes, this was stupid. We adopted a dog and cat well into our 50s. You have to tell the animal shelter what would happen to the animal if you weren't able to care for it anymore, but I believe that's true for all adopters. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I need to go read some more interviews then. Everything I have seen she says they didn't have the time to address Andy in this season, and hoped to flesh him out more if they were given another season or 2 to work with. Not that he no longer exists. 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Also, Jackie's pronunciation of "Fah-berge" reminded me of a news anchor, a real one, who pronounced Versace as Ver-sayce.

There's a famous line in the trashy cinematic classic Showgirls where the lead character says she got her dress "from Ver-sayce", lol. 

• Love 6

I’m getting the feeling that this show is being overly analyzed. It’s a sitcom. It’s not going to be perfect in the sense that it will be able to cover everything from the first 9 seasons into the reboot after a twenty year gap. 

Unless they paid someone to watch each original episode frame by frame there’s going to be some variations. As long as it stays true to the main premise of the original show I’m fine with some things being a little off from the original.

I’m also wondering something, when Roseanne said Becky didn’t finish high school, I wonder if that meant she didn’t graduate the traditional way but got her GED, instead, because she did go to Community college in the previous seasons so that might be when the hooking up with teachers reference stems from, as she could’ve been still attending classes after Marks death - which I’m sure they will address later in the season but they have sooooo much to cover in 22 minutes that it needs to be brought up naturally and not forced I.e., mentioning everything about everything in the first couple of episodes would be too much info at once. 

I absolutely died laughing during the kitchen scene where Dan stood his ground and Roseanne listened - followed by the “what do you want for lunch?” stand off!!! 

Darlene is soooooo friggin funny and I couldn’t contain myself when she said Becky was drinking until she was drunk as duck. I don’t know how many times I was trying to type up the F word out of anger and the damn iPhone wanted to be a nice phone and not curse LMAO!!!

Another terrific episode and I can’t wait until next week!!!!! This reboot is definitely worth the twenty year wait!!!!

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

I need to go read some more interviews then. Everything I have seen she says they didn't have the time to address Andy in this season, and hoped to flesh him out more if they were given another season or 2 to work with. Not that he no longer exists. 

That's I what saw. He's supposed to be mentioned/maybe even show up in season 2. He hasn't been retconned out of existence. 

• Love 1

So if Jackie hadnt taken/adopted the dog would it have been killed in X amount of days? I just dont understand. There must be a reason, a meaning to the word, "rescued." If 50s is too old for a pet, I guess  well... IDK what to say.

• Love 4
Just now, Calm81 said:

I’m getting the feeling that this show is being overly analyzed. It’s a sitcom. It’s not going to be perfect in the sense that it will be able to cover everything from the first 9 seasons into the reboot after a twenty year gap. 

Some of us can't help it--we're TV fans! That's why we're here at PTV. We're passionate about our favorite shows and know so much about them. It's all out of love. :)

• Love 14
1 minute ago, UYI said:

Some of us can't help it--we're TV fans! That's why we're here at PTV. We're passionate about our favorite shows and know so much about them. It's all out of love. :)

I agree! Part of the fun of the show is coming here and reading comments.

• Love 12
Just now, UYI said:

Oh I completely understand. I love this forum. I guess I’m just feeling overly protective over my favorite show. Roseanne and he I love Lucy show are one of the few shows I can literally watch over and over and over again and still chuckle! ??

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ari333 said:

So if Jackie hadnt taken/adopted the dog would it have been killed in X amount of days? I just dont understand. There must be a reason, a meaning to the word, "rescued." If 50s is too old for a pet, I guess  well... IDK what to say.

Even a "no kill" shelter wouldn't do that. The rescue where we got our cats was a "no kill" and they said we could bring either of them back if it didn't work out even if it was in ten years.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Yes, this was stupid. We adopted a dog and cat well into our 50s. You have to tell the animal shelter what would happen to the animal if you weren't able to care for it anymore, but I believe that's true for all adopters. 

I just adopted a rescue cat 2 weeks ago,  and my age never even came up - in fact, they asked if I wanted to adopt two!!!! (I'm 52)

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 11
32 minutes ago, Chris Knight said:

I would love it if they could have an appearance by Booker (probably never gonna happen) or at least mention him in passing. He wasn't a huge character and it was before Clooney became a superstar but I liked him with Jackie, and how he would socialize with the gang outside of work, even as their manager at Wellman.

I can't remember where I saw it or heard it, but apparently Clooney said no to making an appearance. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Calm81 said:

Unless they paid someone to watch each original episode frame by frame there’s going to be some variations. As long as it stays true to the main premise of the original show I’m fine with some things being a little off from the original.

I don’t think it’s being over analyzed this show has been in reruns over 20 years constantly on so yes your audience is gonna notice big holes and the changing of backgrounds of characters completely. they don’t need to hire anyone to watch this show frame by frame just hire writers that have actually watched the show and just don’t treat the people who have been watching this show for 20years like idiots like hey they won’t notice........ just my 2 cents 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, UYI said:

I can't remember where I saw it or heard it, but apparently Clooney said no to making an appearance. 

This may be the unpopular-est opinion of all time, but I don't care about George Clooney. Sure, a quick Booker appearance would have been fun for old times' sake, but if he feels he's above the show now, then good riddance. He's not what made the original show great.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 19
17 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

I just adopted a rescue cat 2 weeks ago,  and my age never even came up - in fact, they asked if I wanted to adopt two!!!! (I'm 52)

That entire storyline was ridiculous.   Assuming the dog was 3 years old and it lived (to be generous) 17 - Jackie (assuming 55)  would be 69 when it died and most likely would have a good 10+ years in front of her.  Plus, I've never heard of a rescue that factors in the age of the adopter.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, break21 said:

That entire storyline was ridiculous.   Assuming the dog was 3 years old and it lived (to be generous) 17 - Jackie (assuming 55)  would be 69 when it died and most likely would have a good 10+ years in front of her.  Plus, I've never heard of a rescue that factors in the age of the adopter.

Yeah, but you see how they got there. Roseanne needed to do something extra nice for Becky since Becky was having such a hard time with the news re the baby.  They needed a way to take the dog away from Jackie, so that Roseanne could come in and be the hero. There's nothing bad about Jackie at all, so they grabbed the age thing - super thin premise at best. They could have gone down the "another person is claiming the dog" route, but they wanted to keep the story real short for solving time.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Zoe said:

Not necessarily. There's still the possibility that he was raised by Fred. Plus, Andy was older than Jerry, so he would have left home sooner.

Roseanne would never have allowed that!!

• Love 3