Type keyword(s) to search

Biggest Loser in the Media

A group of former contestants are trying to get NBC to take this off the air.  

http://nypost.com/2016/05/23/former-contestants-want-to-put-an-end-to-the-biggest-loser/  

I watched in a serial murder fascination way.  Challenges and weigh ins only and if something was mentioned here I would go back and catch it.  And of course the finale.  

I have not read any tell all articles until yesterday when I posted those links.  It is way worse than I thought it could possibility be, ever.  Since they never mentioned food, other than Subway and Jenny O, we all talked about how they were hiding something since losing weight is 80% diet and certainly important to share on a weight loss show.  The truth is shocking.  Jillian quitting was cloaked in mystery.  She only said she didn't agree with some things.  Well yuh!  I guess not.  

I thought Richard Hatch's departure was odd.  It was too early for him to have had such a small weight loss.  He was not bothered by it either.  Normally people have something contrite to say upon departure, he did not.   They arranged his low weight loss because he wanted out. He may have even stormed out earlier and was brought back to leave their way.  I am sure there was a scene.  I would bet my life on that.  

• Love 3

On their Facebook page, there are no visitor posts showing, so I guess they're vetting them all first.
Some people are mentioning the stories, but like so many Facebook pages, they draw more true believers than skeptics.

Just now, wings707 said:

So he is hanging it on genetics, eh?  His mother died from a heart attack.   hmmmmm, not so sure but that is his story and he will stick to it.    

Are you thinking one too many Crossfit WOD's did him in?  My conspiracy theory is secret binging as he worries about the show being canceled.

• Love 2
Just now, Brooklynista said:

Are you thinking one too many Crossfit WOD's did him in?  My conspiracy theory is secret binging as he worries about the show being canceled.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Mind Blown 1

It's very likely genetics had a lot to do with Harper having a heart attack.  I see it frequently at work.  Younger men having heart attacks, the two biggest common risk factors they have are genetics and stress.  People like Harper tend to do well afterwards because they've lived such healthy lifestyles.  The unhealthy people don't survive.  Best of luck to him.

• Love 7

Pretty scary stuff.  Despite what you might think of him personally, it's hard to deny that he lived a much healthier lifestyle than the average American.  If he can't overcome his genetics, what chance to the rest of us have? 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Pretty scary stuff.  Despite what you might think of him personally, it's hard to deny that he lived a much healthier lifestyle than the average American.  If he can't overcome his genetics, what chance to the rest of us have? 

My thoughts exactly. Apparently he was unconscious for two days and stayed in the hospital for eight, so it must have been very serious.

6 hours ago, Canada said:

It's very likely genetics had a lot to do with Harper having a heart attack.  I see it frequently at work.  Younger men having heart attacks, the two biggest common risk factors they have are genetics and stress.  People like Harper tend to do well afterwards because they've lived such healthy lifestyles.  The unhealthy people don't survive.  Best of luck to him.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this, like yearly angiograms?

24 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this, like yearly angiograms?

Repeat angiograms are probably the only definitive way to see a build-up of plaque within the arteries of your heart.  The problem would be what to do about it.... plaque build-up happens in a lot of people, but not everyone has a heart attack.  It's a difficult area to get into because it depends on how stable the plaque is.  Sometimes more knowledge is not necessarily a good thing.  Heart attacks happen when a plaque suddenly ruptures and blocks the artery.... before the rupture occurs, it may not even show up on an angiogram.  Seeing 'nothing' on an angiogram can give a false sense of security.  Really, good lifestyle choices, reducing stress, taking a daily baby aspirin if you are at high risk are the best things you can do.  And pay attention to your body.  A lot of people who have heart attacks with seemingly 'no warning', when they look back, they realise that there were warning signs which they ignored.  Carry aspirin with you.  Learn CPR.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, dabbrusc said:

New show starting on June 13th on Z Living called "The Big Fat Truth" that has a bunch of former Biggest Loser people that have gained the weight back (including S1 Winner Ryan).

Hasn't Ryan been brought back before?  I didn't watch the early seasons, but I thought I saw him with Bob on some later show.
I'd watch, but I can't stand Dr. Oz.

8 hours ago, dabbrusc said:

Don't see a forum for this show, so posting it here.

New show starting on June 13th on Z Living called "The Big Fat Truth" that has a bunch of former Biggest Loser people that have gained the weight back (including S1 Winner Ryan).

http://www.zliving.com/shows/shows/health-wellness/big-fat-truth

http://www.drozthegoodlife.com/healthy-lifestyle/body/news/a4006/the-big-fat-truth-biggest-loser-contestants/

So, if the first time you don't exploit fat people enough, try, try again?

This sounds awful. I expect lots and lots of tears and self-recrimination, promises that this time it will be different.

At the same time, they're grown-ups who make their own decisions, so they shouldn't be considered victims once this show goes south.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure how rapid weight loss for entertainment purposes is really smart.  Especially, when you throw in shaming the contestant who only lost a couple of pounds that week or you scream at the fat ones to stress how they aren't working hard enough.  And don't forget to have a skinny person hop on their back and ride them around like a donkey.  It's just so yesteryear, imo.  I've been losing weight since Feb. and all my doctors say SLOW and steady is the best way.  So, I suppose there is some monetary prize involved.  lol 

With The Biggest Loser, I always wondered why the coaches were hellbent on having a morbidly obese contestant to get shin splints, fall on their face, get a hernia or sprain an ankle.  Just silly and ridiculous training, imo.   Considering how the contestants were treated ON AIR, it makes me believe some of the recent allegations by contestants about things that happened behind the scenes. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure how rapid weight loss for entertainment purposes is really smart.  Especially, when you throw in shaming the contestant who only lost a couple of pounds that week or you scream at the fat ones to stress how they aren't working hard enough.  And don't forget to have a skinny person hop on their back and ride them around like a donkey.  It's just so yesteryear, imo.  I've been losing weight since Feb. and all my doctors say SLOW and steady is the best way.  So, I suppose there is some monetary prize involved.  lol 

With The Biggest Loser, I always wondered why the coaches were hellbent on having a morbidly obese contestant to get shin splints, fall on their face, get a hernia or sprain an ankle.  Just silly and ridiculous training, imo.   Considering how the contestants were treated ON AIR, it makes me believe some of the recent allegations by contestants about things that happened behind the scenes. 

It's because the coaches/trainers suck at their jobs and are there purely for entertainment purposes.  They want drama and entertaining TV.  People quietly losing weight in a healthy manner does not make good TV.  Putting people's lives and mental health at risk makes for a much more 'entertaining' show.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Canada said:

It's because the coaches/trainers suck at their jobs and are there purely for entertainment purposes.  They want drama and entertaining TV.  People quietly losing weight in a healthy manner does not make good TV.  Putting people's lives and mental health at risk makes for a much more 'entertaining' show.

I agree, but, even if you are doing it the wrong way, too fast, competing, etc., they still really put people's health and safety in jeopardy, imo.  I mean, to CLAIM that you are doing it all for THEIR best interest.  Oh my.......I think that something just snapped in me with Bob and Jillian and I never have had much use for them after that.  Maybe, they were desperate for an income, but, it just seemed cruel to me.  Still, I wish Bob well.  I hope that he recovers from his near fatal heart attack and that he can find a good treatment. 

• Love 1
On 5/22/2017 at 3:16 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

The obsession the show had for a while with the box jumps was ridiculous. It's not a cardio move, it doesn't show that much strength, it really isn't good for joints for someone who is bigger.  It just looked impressive and usually caused a contestant to cry.  Some of the stuff like that really turned me off the show.

(edited)
13 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

1 hour ago, Canada said:

Thank god.  It was a terrible show.

Hopefully this will be followed up by someone bankrupting Dr. Death with a huge lawsuit.

Actually, there really wouldn't be total justice unless that mega-scumbag J.D. Roth gets his pants sued off too.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Too bad. I liked the show.

Joelle is always going to be the incompetent whiner that got Bob to blow his stack and curse a contestant out on air, and Kai has always been a repellant asshole. 

Hopefully Dr H prevails. 

Sadly, Adam from Season 6 passed away late last week.  He and his wife Stacey were the green team on the first couples' season. 

On 8/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, ketchuplover said:

Why can't they just rework the show?

Probably because no one wants to watch people lose weight sensibly at a rate of 1-2 pounds a week, without drama.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4