Type keyword(s) to search

Biggest Loser in the Media

Did the show change the media rules after Kai's season?  I'm just wondering because everytime I read a negative article on the BL from a previous contestant, it's always written by Kai.  I would expect to read more articles from other contestants.

This is not the first time Kai has gone complaining to the media, and I am not sure why she is doing it yet again. She lost. I guess this is her second career. And other contestants have said that they got regular supervised trips off the ranch to the nearby town. There was also a previous contestant who had to go home for a family emergency, but was allowed to come back, so the "being held captive" allegation is a bit ridiculous to me, and I am thinking she doesn't quite have all the details straight on the story she claims about the contestant who was not allowed to leave to go visit their sick kid. Also, a show that uses weekly results to draw viewers is obviously not going to want active participants speaking freely while the show is being shot and before it airs, that seems to escape her in the accusations she is lobbying yet again.

I don't doubt that some of her allegations are true, Jillian has said that she herself has had many clashes with the producers, much of which were rooted in her concern that they were not treating contestants well, and I wouldn't doubt that other trainers have witnessed the same thing. But I would rather hear these stories from someone other than Kai, who comes across to me as someone embittered that she lost/did not achieve the career in the spotlight she wanted after the show ended.

• Love 1

Jillian complaining about contestants not being treated right. The pot calling the kettle black. I do believe there are things going behind the scenes the producers behind the show do not want to be seen or talked about. Jillian blame others for her not being shown in a kind light on the show, but she did act like a witch and acted like she was the best trainer in the universe. She has no one to blame but herself for the way she was shown.

I believe the majority of the contestants were treated like crap. They sign their lives over in desperation to lose weight. They are nothing but weight loss experiments gone bad. A lot of them have some serious issues aka Shay and Rob. They take their co-dependency for food and blaming others for not being able to deal with the real world into co-dependency on their trainers and other contestants. I feel bad for them, but they need to wake up and realize BL can do more harm than good.

Editing does wonders, either way, and I am certain that Jillian got the editing the producers wanted her to get. I am also convinced that the producers have the last say in what stunts, in the gym or out of it, are done, whether or not it causes harm to the contestants. For example..producers telling the players to drink as much coffee as they wanted, regardless of caffeine content, and then framing it as some huge scandal when Jillian gave her team 200mg caffeine pills, which have way less caffeine in them then the amount of coffee some were drinking.  The producres are why we get these segments where people are forced to face stunts that instill them with sheer white fear.

I listen to her podcast and I do her DVDs and she is nothing like the persona that was shown on that show. She shows you every possible modification for the moves there are in her workouts, and they are doable. She is supportive and friendly and humorous on her podcast and explains exercises, nutritional and dietary segments in a very thorough, non-condescending way. If people don't like her, they likely never will, but undoubtedly the show's execs, editors, and producers have had a huge role in the image BL wants you to see of her. She was just smart enough to take the contrived, conjured bitch role they cast her in and turn it into a multimillion dollar empire.

Kai, on the other hand, should find a real career already.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 6

Hmmm....  I am sure the people behind the show told her to dump a bucket of water on a contestant, told her to get other contestants to leave so poor, poor her pet project Shay could stay, I am sure they cast her to tell a contestant his parents abandon him to take care of his dying sister, I am sure they told her to go on lets blame the parents for the contestants' weight gain, cast her to have a major hissy fit when a contestant did not think she is best trainer in the universe, or to treat a contestant like crap because she did not want to work out because she was on her way to a nasty injury by saying she was being lazy, and I am sure she was told to work contestants to the point where they are close to passing out and laughing when they got sick to their stomach. If the mean, mean producers were forcing her to do things she did not like or made her look bad then why did she come back to the show. I seriously doubt they were forcing her to be a witch.

And of course she is nice and friendly off the show because she wants people to believe she is the exercise and diet expert of the world. If she kept her witch face going on off the show, I seriously doubt people would buy her products.

As I said, if one is bound and determined to believe that she is some Big Cruel Meanie, then multiple other examples to the contrary are not going to dissuade one. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with audience members reading way too much into things when they don't even have the entire context of things shown, only the most sensational parts, and hence are left to draw their own flimsy conclusions. Ergo: "she must be a bitch because I saw it on the Biggest Loser. She must think she is the bee's knees, because I do not like her, therefore it must be so, whether or not she has ever bragged on that show about her success off of it."  (she hasn't, and she doesn't on her podcast.)  Much like the examples you cited are completely extrapolated and not exactly accurate or telling the entire picture. 

I have never seen her laughing when people vomited on this show. Not sure where that even came from, but I have a specific idea.

But, obviously, Jillian is the be all and end all of all that is evil in the world because "The Biggest Loser told me so and they would never ever edit that show to reflect the characters that they want to present, edit out longer in depth conversations between the trainer and the trainee to show actual context, or show the entire segment of what actually happened from the time someone got on a treadmill to the time they gave up, whether it was one minute or 5."  Because yes, this show is SO all about the honest edit.

Hallelujah.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

Does it really make sense that she would be a different, nice person on her podcast and in her DVDs, in order to sell her fitness goods, yet be some raving lunatic on national television to a wide audience of potential customers? No. It doesn't. That was the editing.

This is why I made my previous post that it seems like Kai is the only contestant that has repeatedly bashed the show.  It would seem after all these years, there would be more.  I agree with Danny in the People article.  There are going to be both positive and negative aspects of the show.  Danny has chosen to concentrate on the positive while Kai has chosen to view only the negative aspects.   

• Love 1

This is why I made my previous post that it seems like Kai is the only contestant that has repeatedly bashed the show.  It would seem after all these years, there would be more.  I agree with Danny in the People article.  There are going to be both positive and negative aspects of the show.  Danny has chosen to concentrate on the positive while Kai has chosen to view only the negative aspects.   

Well there are legal consequences to talking, so there's that.

Ryan Benson made some remarks too, even if a bit less direct. And of course Jillian has, but there's sour grapes potential there as well as a credibility gap for someone who benefited so much from the show.

It seems as though Kai reappears in the papers every few years, and every time, it's reported as if this is the first time ever that this story has been told.  How many times can reporters share Kai's story as if it were breaking news?

• Love 2

I'm not sure what to think of Kai's allegations, but I do think they are plausible, mainly because of what the show actually shows us on screen.  Challenges in the sand?  Making contestants carry each other during work outs?  That's dangerously stupid for people who likely have a whole slew of joint problems.  What's so bizarre is that production doesn't seem to actually realize how bad those things are.  They just blithely show them to us as if they're proper workout technique.  If the show can do that, there's not much I wouldn't put past them.

I read the articles I could, some won't load at work, and it seems like the same old same old. Kai's complaints, Ryan's comments about dehydration, and Jillian's comments after she left the show.

I think we all know that there is Producer BS, editing BS, and not the best practices used on the show. We have all commented that we would like to see more of the Psychologist and know that the contestants actually have regular contact with a shrink. We would all like to see more on the nutrition. We know that they have changed the supplement crap after last seasons caffeine gate.

I've been watching this show for a long time, and don't go back as far as Kai's season.
That stories still feature her shows how well BL has managed to lockdown/sew up later contestants.

But she's old news.

I'd also meant to comment on the "AV Club" interview with season-four Nicole (back on page one).  She seems level-headed and fairly balanced about her experience on the show, even managing to avoid Bob-worship despite having been on the blue team.  I liked her analogy that the trainers are like teachers--you might feel attached to a freshman-year professor, but then in sophomore year, you move on.  That's a nice counterbalance to the "I neeeeeeed Bob" dependency other "blue" alums have displayed.  During season four, I recall that Nicole mostly flew under the radar and didn't make much of an impression on viewers until near the end of the season, so that when she left, it was like, "Wait--where has this personality been the whole time?  Just when we get to like her, she's gone!"  It seems that this was because she didn't bring a whole lot of drama with her--she was single, not missing a spouse or kids left back at home during her time on the ranch, and she actually enjoyed her time there.  The producers enjoyed wringing stories out of the people who found it all SO HARD.

• Love 1

I like how Jay dodged the question. The question wasn't if the weights were legitimate, the question was if the big scale on TV was real & the contestants were weighed in 2 days prior to the fake show scale.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 1

AVC: Are the “weeks” on the show actual, seven-day weeks?

NM: It depends. We went to Jamaica for our trip, so it was ten days between weigh-ins there instead of seven. It just depends on the production schedule. Some weeks would be as little as five days and some would be two weeks long.

That's from Nicole, who I was a huge fan of in Season 4.  I post this to confirm that manipulation of weeks happened.  There is no doubt that this show has done good, and done good for a long, long, time.  But I think we are all better off if we don't subscribe to the notion that "weekly" weight loss on this show is realistic.

h/t to Kromm & Katje for Nicole interview link above.

Edited by pennben

I think we knew, too, that the "weeks" weren't necessarily "week weeks."

True. But us, as a loose body of internet know it alls, vs. it still being declared and identified by the phrase "this week" on the show, even still YEARS after that misdirection was first outed on the net, shows that they don't really care what the lesser group of internet know-it-alls thinks/knows.

• Love 2

Yep. I just brought that article up again to further support that notion; and I did it primarily, because just last summer it was posted here last page:

And I flat out do not believe her claim about 3 weeks between weigh ins for the shooting schedule.  That would definitely be something someone would bring up....gag order or not.

I used to watch this show for so many years.  Now, I check in at the beginning and at the end.  I just wanted to make sure that those that aren't that familiar know what's going on, so they don't set themselves up for failure.  I know that most folks posting regularly know,  And, while I don't post that often, I check in here and there. 

Be well all.

True. But us, as a loose body of internet know it alls, vs. it still being declared and identified by the phrase "this week" on the show, even still YEARS after that misdirection was first outed on the net, shows that they don't really care what the lesser group of internet know-it-alls thinks/knows.

Kromm, I find this is true on so many shows.

On Facebook, you find so many true believers on most of the shows, ready to tear apart anyone who question their idol, (I'm looking at you, Nicole Curtis), and BL page used to be like that, though I haven't been there recently.

I stopped watching TBL after the season that had the vile siblings Conda and Jeremy on it, but I may give the new season a look to see how Bob does as host. The contestant bios and photos are up: I like that none of the contestants are grotesquely obese like Daniel, Shay, or Michael in previous seasons. The ever-bigger contestants angle could only be pushed so far. This season, the heaviest contestant weighs 348 pounds. It's interesting that one contestant is a nutritionist and does Zumba and Crossfit. What can she learn on the show that she doesn't already know? I foresee a lot of shade from other contestants to the tune of "she doesn't need to be here" and "she can do it at home".

• Love 3

To be honest, I've missed this show. Despite its flaws, I like seeing the contestants succeed at losing weight.  I do miss the Bob/Jillian trainer combo - it was entertaining. Also entertaining were the posts made here and in TWOP. I'll never forget CrabShaman's love for Hannah (Season 9? w/Olivia, Hannah and Courtney (Journey)) and his recaps.

• Love 3

To be honest, I've missed this show. Despite its flaws, I like seeing the contestants succeed at losing weight.  I do miss the Bob/Jillian trainer combo - it was entertaining. Also entertaining were the posts made here and in TWOP. I'll never forget CrabShaman's love for Hannah (Season 9? w/Olivia, Hannah and Courtney (Journey)) and his recaps.

Those were the days!

It's interesting that one contestant is a nutritionist and does Zumba and Crossfit. What can she learn on the show that she doesn't already know? I foresee a lot of shade from other contestants to the tune of "she doesn't need to be here" and "she can do it at home".

True, but I imagine that the group motivation and accountability of being weighed on national TV will go a long way towards assisting Lauren with her weight loss. She mentioned in her bio that she's an emotional eater, so hopefully the group support and the therapy sessions (do they still go to therapy?) will help her learn not to eat her emotions. I don't know how tall she is, but she's 234 lbs and looks overweight. As my friend April used to say, "she didn't get that way by not eating."

ETA: SEASON PREMIERE JANUARY 4 | MONDAYS 9/8C

Edited by topanga

Bad stories vs good stories are about age and general health when it comes to injuries.  The coaches also have their favorites who escape a bad edit.   If a pet student fails to measure up because of exhaustion, that is okay because they are known to be motivated.  If you whine and complain you are editing fodder.  

I watch this on my DVR so I can FF, as many do.  I cannot imagine watching this show in real time!   I FF last chance workout, deep talks with trainers about their sad story, product placement food and any scenes that run too long.  I skip through the weigh ins, I just want to see the numbers.   

I wonder if they will ever actually have healthy food.  Subway sandwiches with their salty cold cuts and fluffy buns, is only one of many horrors that should be ditched.  I know, I know, it will never happen.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I watch this on my DVR so I can FF, as many do.  I cannot imagine watching this show in real time!   I FF last chance workout, deep talks with trainers about their sad story, product placement food and any scenes that run too long.  I skip through the weigh ins, I just want to see the numbers.

Thanks, wings707. You've given me the definitive guide on how to watch the show this season. 

• Love 1

So. there is a linked article on People's site in which Jen discusses her "difficult" past and says, "I actually considered throwing up after I ate."

Like, OhmyGod, you guys, I , like, nearly had an eating disorder! 

But you didn't, did you? She also discusses how pressured she felt to stay a certain size so she could fit into American Gladiator costumes. 

*thinks about all the other career choices that are available out there*

This is one of the reasons she gets on my nerves. I think to an extent she thrives on drama that isn't really all that dramatic. Tears at every weigh-in, for example. The girl is a bit overdramatic.

• Love 1

Big surprise! I love how Dr. H. is defending the show's weight loss methods. He thinks if the contestants get help after leaving the show they will be able to keep the weight off. Me thinks the man is more concern about using the contestants as his human weight loss test subjects to prove he can cure people of obesity. News flash Dr. H. It ain't working! 

13 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Big surprise! I love how Dr. H. is defending the show's weight loss methods. He thinks if the contestants get help after leaving the show they will be able to keep the weight off. Me thinks the man is more concern about using the contestants as his human weight loss test subjects to prove he can cure people of obesity. News flash Dr. H. It ain't working! 

That asshole will never admit he's done anything wrong. He still thinks he was doing the world a solid by telling Charlie Sheen he could fuck whoever he wanted to.

• Love 1

You shouldn't have to have a cadre of doctors and trainers, as he listed, to keep a weight loss and live a normal life,
Who, other than really really rich stars like Oprah, have that many people on tap?

3 hours ago, auntjess said:

You shouldn't have to have a cadre of doctors and trainers, as he listed, to keep a weight loss and live a normal life,
Who, other than really really rich stars like Oprah, have that many people on tap?

Even having all the resources money can buy has helped Oprah.  What chance do the rest of us have?

• Love 2