Type keyword(s) to search

Biggest Loser in the Media

If the article is right - an hour workout 6 days a week, only loosely counting calories & allowing occasional treats - then she's got a good handle on real life after the ranch. I was actually kind of surprised, in a really good way, to hear that she still talks to show counselors & nutritionists.

Edited by ramble

Ramble: I think that is an option available to all of the contestants but they have to choose to use it or not. In the long run, the people who end up on this show are there because they have developed awful habits over a good period of time. It takes a long time to break those habits and you really have to want to do the work and maintain the new habits. I have a feeling that many of the contestants fail fall back into their old habits, start feeling like crap that they are losing ground, fall back into old coping skills, and put the weight back on. Very much like a drug addict or alcoholic.

While no where near the severity of the problem that these folks have, I took off 25 pounds last year. I did it though better eating and exercise. I have noticed a slight scale creep and dound myself justifying it in various ways. I am weighing myself at night and I used to weigh myself in the morning, I have my period, I am weighing in with close on and not in my undies. All true but I was dressed when I weighed in at the Doctors office and was 160 so there really is no reason to be 164 right now. After a few months of hemming and hawing, last night I changed My Fitness Pal from maitenence to losing 1/2 a pound a week. The idea, for me, is that instead of riding the line for maintence, cutting 250 calories gives me some room to slowly lose what I have put back on and make it harder to repeat putting that weight back on.

As for Rachel, I think her competitive overdrive kicked in and she went balls to the wall to win. The fact that she has put weight back on and is maintaining a healthier exercise regime is a good sign. I hope for her sake that she is able to make this a new lifestyle and maintain it because she looks healthy and I am sure she is feeling better.

• Love 1

I am going to have to watch the finale because it didn't seem to show her weight loss as a concern, imho. 

I lost 30 pounds in three months. It surprised even me but I was very happy. Two years before I'd quit smoking and, without changing how much I ate, I gained a lot of weight. While I was a smoker, I could eat hot fudge sundaes and hamburgers with fries for dinner and there wouldn't be any weight gain. No sleeping issues and digestive problems. (only once did I lose weight and that was when I stopped drinking sodas and lost a dress size. Now when I want a soda I drink either fruit infused water or Kombucha). 

Then I started walking every morning, going farther and farther and incorporating inclines. Changed diet so there was less fat, more water, less dessert. No weight loss but feeling a lot better.

Shortly afterwards I joined a gym and had to track what I ate. Bam! The intense workout, diet change detoxed my body and the weight just dropped seemingly overnight. Diet was organic which meant no bread unless it was either gluten free or organic. Only healthy oils that are certified organic which includes olive, avocado, coconut oils. I work out everyday and mostly do cardio. Hopefully will do my first 5K in June.

So I wrote all this (and probably too much, lol) to show that a rapid weightless is not always because someone did something wrong. The Biggest Loser does not promote the healthiest route to weight loss and Rachel took charge of her own goals. I cringe at some of the things and products the show promotes. 

• Love 1

Looks like the show will be moving to Thursday nights this fall.  No idea when the show will start.

I have no clue if Thursdays are still the tough night they used to be.

That assumes that football on Thursdays will do all that well.

I mean I guess there's a lot of momentum to ANY network football broadcast doing well, but Thursday might be a really odd night for people to go looking for it.

Broadcast will get more viewers because everyone can access it. Cable limited who could watch.

It's more that cable sometimes caters more to people with special interests.  Sometimes when you open up a larger potential audience, while more bodies show up, a smaller percentage show.  That's how network often loses out, even though, yes, there's even still today a larger possible total audience.

The NFL network was using the Thursday night game to try and get people to watch the NFL channel. It was not on in enough areas so viewership for the game sucked. They decided to remove it from that channel to hit a wider audience. And the announcers really sucked. No one knew who they were and they really were just that awful. My facebook page was filled with people mocking them.

NFL football has a huge audience. The Thursday Night game is going to dominate Thursday nights, just like the Monday night game dominates Monday night. So the Biggest Loser is going to be in that spot because they have to run something so what the hey. I would also guess that people who are not interested in Football, read women, are more likely to be interested in The Biggest Loser. So it is not exactly a bad fit. I would bet that the demographics for the show are predomiantly women.

And I know women watch football, I do and I am a woman. But the NFL's target audience is not the female population.

the NFL's target audience is not the female population.

Which is the audience they should be reaching for if they want to expand further, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I do agree that it's a threat. There are many people who won't miss a televised game.

I also feel like this show is in trouble even if they put it up against 45-year-old episodes of The Love Boat. It's lost something, it's become way too predictable, and I think the negative media attention given to the last winner (whose name I'm blanking out on) is not going to help.

The problem is that the show teaches dangerous habits that people at home cannot replicate and focuses too much on the drama.  A good show about reasonable dieting and exercise and intelligent weight loss does not play well with the drama that they want so that people tune in. They need a massive overhaul of the show to make it work. Instead of one huge end prize, weekly prizes and prizes for safe weight loss. Something along those lines

The NFL is reaching out to women, the players wear pink for an entire month for a reason. They are marketing to women but that doesn't change the fact that it is really dominated by men.

• Love 2

I saw that article, too, but not much of it was new to me.  Kai's been pretty outspoken over the years about her experience on the show.  I've read several interviews in which she revealed some of the same things.  

It's also one of the reasons why I stopped watching TBL two or three seasons ago (though I did make an exception when one of the contestants was someone I graduated high school with).  I just felt that the show sets a poor example for realistic weight loss.

• Love 2

If they would keep all contestants throughout I think it would be more appealing.

The nfl has a large female fan base. It has grown so much it is kind of passe to say women are generally not football fans.

• Love 1

If they would keep all contestants throughout I think it would be more appealing.

The nfl has a large female fan base. It has grown so much it is kind of passe to say women are generally not football fans.

No, but it's also not wrong to have good reason to think that Biggest Loser and the NFL, while they may share many fans, to a good extent aren't going to touch each other's viewership.  Time delayed viewing especially feeds into this.  Most people (that I know at least) don't really want to watch football except live.  Biggest Loser, I bet, because of how much filler there is, seems to me to have been for years been more in the category of recorded playback viewing.  I find myself wondering if NBC may have some patience with BL's Thursday ratings, if football really DOES somehow take a bite, and rely more on the metrics from Hulu and NBC.com and whatever metrics they get about Tivo-ing a lot more.

Actually the biggest effect I could see might not be from ratings directly, but sponsorship conflicts.  Subway definitely is a heavy NFL advertiser.  Poor BL will have to lean TWICE as hard on Jennie-O now!

• Love 1

I don't watch this show much, but I found this article interesting. A former contestant named Kai talked to Cracked about the things they didn't show during her season. Some of it seemed a bit obvious, but others weren't so much.

I saw this too.  I don't think Kai said anything that she hasn't said before.  It would be nice if a different contestant came forward to talk about behind-the-scenes goings on.  Kai was on the 3rd season (how many years ago?) and worked with a trainer who isn't there anymore.  Is what she saying accurate?  Are the same things still going on?  Is it better/worse now or with different trainers?  Why isn't anyone else talking?  I understand that there is probably a gag order, but if Kai can talk (and she has been for awhile) than other people should be able to.   

Why isn't anyone else talking?  I understand that there is probably a gag order, but if Kai can talk (and she has been for awhile) than other people should be able to.   

My guess is because no one else considers this to be the show's fault.  Just like I don't.  While I feel bad for the anorexic girl she ran into, that is ONE case of someone being too naive and thinking this is actually how you lose weight on your own.  How many times on this show do they say these people are monitored by doctors?  And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize these people don't just work out for an hour a day to get the 12 pound weight loss in a week results. 

I have taken a weight loss journey of my own over the last 5 years and before I did anything I spoke to a doctor and did as much research as I could about what I was in for.  

And I flat out do not believe her claim about 3 weeks between weigh ins for the shooting schedule.  That would definitely be something someone would bring up....gag order or not.

These people are going on TV and losing weight for money and at a certain point you have to take some of the responsibility for what happens to you after you make the decision to participate.  I generally regard those who bitch and moan after the fact as whiners who are just pissed off they didn't win.  

• Love 1

Jessie Pavelka's last name scares me.  It smells like he might be a hire related to an existing famewhore and might bring famewhorism into the mix himself.

EDIT - CONFIRMED (the related part--the "famewhore" part is just implied by the fact that of ALL of millions of possible trainers, there has to be a reason this particular one was hired).  -- http://www.wetpaint.com/the-bachelor/articles/2014-06-30-jessie-pavelka-biggest-loser-16

Jessie Pavelka's last name scares me.  It smells like he might be a hire related to an existing famewhore and might bring famewhorism into the mix himself.

EDIT - CONFIRMED (the related part--the "famewhore" part is just implied by the fact that of ALL of millions of possible trainers, there has to be a reason this particular one was hired).  -- http://www.wetpaint.com/the-bachelor/articles/2014-06-30-jessie-pavelka-biggest-loser-16

I wondered about that as soon as I noticed his last name.  Well, I will say that he's better looking than his cousin, so maybe not everything is in the genes.

I wondered about that as soon as I noticed his last name.  Well, I will say that he's better looking than his cousin, so maybe not everything is in the genes.

It does appear though that the Famewhore disease in that family may have passed from Jessie TO Jake and not the other way around. His extended bio seems to suggest he's an established figure already on other shows (one or two US shows, including one on Lifetime, plus a bunch of UK shows).

Oh, and we haven't even talked yet about the OTHER new hire.  Guess who SHE really is.  Here's a clue...

WYlNSOr.jpg

And I flat out do not believe her claim about 3 weeks between weigh ins for the shooting schedule.  That would definitely be something someone would bring up....gag order or not.

I've heard that from others and I have absolutely no doubt that it is true.  If the choice is to believe that these staggering weekly losses occur in seven days or believe that they are manipulating the idea of a "week", I'm going to go with science and believe that we are talking about more days than a week to achieve the results they do in each weekly episode.

• Love 2

Sounds interesting. Bob's new role should allow the new trainers a chance to gel and give the contestants a fair shot at getting to know the trainers rather then gravitate to Bob. Even though Dovlett has had a really good track record and seems to have a great approach, contestants always seemed to want Bob then Jillian. Bob and Jillian seemed to freeze out any new trainer. So the best way to bring on new trainers and give them a chance to succeed is to remove the old trainers who seem to have developed cults. I would guess that Jillian was told of this change and decided she wanted nothing to do with it and left.

I like the idea of a second chance. I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I think that it will be interesting to see how Bob works with one person, probably really two people competing against each other to stay in the competition. It could lead to a different dynamic.

I also like that they are pulling former athletes. At least these folks will have a better idea about what hard work it takes and how the body is suppose to feel when exercising. Then again, I am not so certain that it will be all that inspirational for people who never played sports. But we shall see.

Probably won't watch now.  Without Jillian and Bob and all athletes,. These athletes know what to do, they are just lazy and don't want to do it unless they get to be on TV.   I also disagree about no one wanting to work with Dolvett, in fact it is the opposite. Everyone wanted to work with Dolvett, instead of Jillian. 

I agree that all athletes really sucks.  I don't want to watch athletes get back in shape.  I want to watch normal people, like me, so that it gives me hope that I can do it one day.  I don't have an athletic background, so I can't relate to any of the contestants.  I probably won't watch this season.

• Love 3

After a quick glance, it seems that 9 of the 19 Losers last played sports in high school, which, IMO, doesn't mean much as far as being an "athlete". In some schools if you try out you make the team.

Two were hard to figure out what level they played - one just says "rugby player" and the other said "All-American" softball player, which sounds collegiate, but who knows nowadays?

I think four of the others were football players which, depending on the position, may just mean they were big.

Will have to see Episode 1 to see what the cast is really like and how the former athlete angle will be played.

I agree that all athletes really sucks.  I don't want to watch athletes get back in shape.  I want to watch normal people, like me, so that it gives me hope that I can do it one day.  I don't have an athletic background, so I can't relate to any of the contestants.  I probably won't watch this season.

I understand what you're saying and agree about all athletes sucking but at least it doesn't give the former athletes the usual unfair advantage against non-athletes.

Also, I don't think this show has shown "normal" people getting back in shape for  many seasons now. They always seem to find morbidly obese people which doesn't inspire me at all. I sit there eating my popcorn thinking I'm not as bad off.  I would prefer to watch the transformation of the average overweight person (I'm not sure that makes sense).

• Love 2

Is one of the glory days contestants 18 or was that a typo? How are your glory days behind you when your'e 18? At least try for a few more years.

I agree with the dislike about the all athlete season. I want to see average people not those who understand what to do already & probably have muscle memory buried under the fat. It certainly feels like people who just quit trying. Gag I hope everyone doesn't have a sob story of spectacular sobiness that we have to hear.

So, if I read the article correctly Dolvett still gets to train. It groups him with Bob but only mentions Bob being in the super secret second chance place. Please BL don't hide Dolvett away. If they think a Pavelka is a subsitute they're crazy.

• Love 3

Biggest Loser hit a series low against Thursday Night Football. And the worst part of that news -- all the shows on ABC, Fox and the CW were re-runs in both the 8pm and 9pm hours, so when fresh episodes appear on the other networks starting next week, TBL is probably going to drop even further.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/09/19/tv-ratings-thursday-thursday-night-football-falls-the-biggest-loser-hits-low/304846/