Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

Season 7: Jamie Ross, Former Bond Girl

I was somewhat surprised that Frances Sternhagen, who played the mother in law, is still with us. The episode first aired in January of '97, and I thought she was older than she looked even then.

On a similar note, Matrimony comes on at midnight. I always look forward to "the dancin' naked idiot family."

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I was somewhat surprised that Frances Sternhagen, who played the mother in law, is still with us. The episode first aired in January of '97, and I thought she was older than she looked even then.

On a similar note, Matrimony comes on at midnight. I always look forward to "the dancin' naked idiot family."

Frances Sternhagen is everywhere. I think she'll outlast everyone.  :-)  Let's hope "Matrimony" can be seen. (Assuming it's the WE episodes you're watching; WE has been having issues with blacking out in increments all day today! At least in my area.)

• Like 1

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 7:42 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Frances Sternhagen is everywhere. I think she'll outlast everyone.  :-)  Let's hope "Matrimony" can be seen. (Assuming it's the WE episodes you're watching; WE has been having issues with blacking out in increments all day today! At least in my area.)

Not just your area. It's in mine, too. I was annoyed a few weeks ago when the last episodes of season four was skipped. I was looking forward to seeing Mayhem again. However last Wednesday they didn't skip. I had a stay at home vacation last week and caught L&O all day. Of course today they skipped again. :(

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 0:27 PM, Spartan Girl said:

So "Legacy" will be on tonight, and even though I do feel bad for the wife that figures out her second husband murdered her first husband, I can't help feeling annoyed/angry/frustrated with her too.  Seriously, who gets remarried only ONE YEAR after their husband dies?  I didn't buy the "I was a single mother and was soooooo lonely" excuse.  I get that she was vulnerable and manipulated, but really, only a year is just kind of disrespectful.

Also, it probably should have been a red flag that the creepy stalker was bringing "teas and little cakes" to comfort her.  What guy willingly brings over tea?

Gotta give credit to the actress who played Robin. With her voice and body language at times throughout the episode Robin came off as well not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If that was the actress intent for her character, good job. 

It's not too surprising Robin married so soon after her husband died. She might be one of those people who can't be alone or isn't comfortable being alone. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Gotta give credit to the actress who played Robin. With her voice and body language at times throughout the episode Robin came off as well not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If that was the actress intent for her character, good job. 

It's not too surprising Robin married so soon after her husband died. She might be one of those people who can't be alone or isn't comfortable being alone. 

This was the actress's second return to the show. She played the prostitute who got AIDS in season one's "By Hooker, by Crook" I think is the name of the episode.  Weatlhy woman who was a madam, using "Poppy's Catering" as the name.

I always wonder how the regular cast kept a straight face through that one.  Love that episode.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2016 at 6:01 PM, Arcadiasw said:

WE is re-airing season 7 on Tuesdays, and this episode just aired. I thought the actress did a good job -- I noticed the subtle change in her expression as it's revealed that her stalker husband never had a business trip in Harrisburg. Hadn't seen the ep in a while -- I got so mad at the dudebro roommate for lying on the stand!

I can sort of understand Robin -- her stalker husband wasn't a total stranger, he was a friend she'd known for years -- she had no reason to suspect him of being her husband's killer. I sort of put it in the same category of 9/11 widows who married firefighters -- she thought they went through something traumatic together that bonded them, and it became love in that sense.

But no -- she just married her stalker. Truly great episode (if not completely creepy and wrong).

• Like 7

On 6/8/2016 at 3:01 PM, Arcadiasw said:

That actress, Jenny Robertson, is a good one. Most people don't realize that her first role was as the slutty, ditzzy Millie in Bull Durham. A character which is the polar opposite of Robin Sheppard  in this episode. 

"Mad Dog" is a great, albeit horrifying, episode. I always thought it encapsulated the best -- and worst -- of McCoy better than any other episode I can think of.

The ending should seem like a cop-out (no pun intended), but I find it unbelievably effective. After all that pressure, there was nowhere else the story (or the sicko Darnell) could go.

It was proving McCoy was right, but in the most horrifying way possible. Season 7 was just so freaking good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eolivet said:

"Mad Dog" is a great, albeit horrifying, episode. I always thought it encapsulated the best -- and worst -- of McCoy better than any other episode I can think of.

"I'm sorry that it had to come to this."

"Not sorry enough."

The way Jack darts a look at Jamie always reminds me of how annoyed he got with Claire over her not leaping to his defense over the accusation that he was in the habit of suppressing exculpatory evidence in Trophy. He was right about Darnell, but his relentless tightening of the screws wouldn't have continued for so long with any other suspect because someone would have put a stop to it long before the (possibly) inevitable happened.

Also, random observation about the three-parter with Lorelai Gilmore - Janeane Garofalo is an attractive woman, but she needs to not dye her hair even darker when its already almost black. It makes her look like Vampira.

• Like 3

Was Jamie's ex-husband's last name Gordon, with a D, or Gorton, with a T? Everything I've seen has his first name as Neil, (like Neil Diamond), but his last name changes from Gordon to Gorton, depending on the source. And some sources (like the L&O Wiki/Wikia[?]) even switch between Gordon & Gorton in the middle of his character page! I've always thought his name was Neil Gordon (with a D).

21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Pretty sure it was Neil Gordon, with a D.

Thanks. That's how I think I hear it & how I always try to write it.

By the way, would you know who the Mod is for Hawaii Five-0 (2010)? I'm wondering when/if they're gonna archive the ep (& other) threads specific for last season (Season 6).

2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Thanks. That's how I think I hear it & how I always try to write it.

By the way, would you know who the Mod is for Hawaii Five-0 (2010)? I'm wondering when/if they're gonna archive the ep (& other) threads specific for last season (Season 6).

No, I don't. I'll look into it!

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

No, I don't. I'll look into it!

Thanks. Much appreciated. If the 25 S6 ep threads could at least get moved, it would help compact the forum. S7 started 3 weeks ago (& has 4 ep threads up already).

I can sort of understand Robin -- her stalker husband wasn't a total stranger, he was a friend she'd known for years -- she had no reason to suspect him of being her husband's killer. I sort of put it in the same category of 9/11 widows who married firefighters -- she thought they went through something traumatic together that bonded them, and it became love in that sense.

Yeah, this is pretty common. You lose your spouse unexpectedly, you're a new mother, scared, alone...it's very common for young widow/widowers to remarry quickly. Just not to the stalker that killed their first husband! And since her former MIL was the one worrying at the circumstances I'm sure she felt like she was the mature, intelligent one moving on and accepting that "accidents happen," etc. Any weird, off feelings could just be written off as "MIL's crazy schtick is just bugging me."

So, just watched Survivor, and MAN, that one is intense. It's got all the little hints you don't pick up on at first--like when Rey and Lenny are interviewing The Southern Contessa and she explains her late husband was a count whose family's property got taken away by the Italian government years ago and she's still wrangling to get it back. She's presented as a silly, bubbleheaded party girl type who clearly is out for as many baubles as she can get, and so is her husband's land claim. That's so dumb! Who even cares? Ancient history, right? 

And then the events of the the episode unfold, and you realize stolen land and stolen property were stolen from real people, people who lost everything and that fifty years was as a day as far as they're concerned. Spending your entire adult life trying to get one damn person to care that you were robbed of everything, that the last asset and link to your old life was cheerfully snatched up and sold by a Swiss bank that's still obscenely rich and sleek today, doing business with everybody, not caring what they did to you? And how that leaks into your daughter's mind so that she's paralyzed with fear and sorrow and then she finally hears that the guy who used her dead, Holocaust survivor father's stolen coins in a lie to make himself rich--ugh. Karen Allen really brought it in this episode, especially when she's talking to Olivet and shrieks out "HE WANTED TO GET ONE THING BACK!" No thing, no coin, no land, is just itself. It's what was done to its owners.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Snookums said:

And then the events of the the episode unfold, and you realize stolen land and stolen property were stolen from real people, people who lost everything and that fifty years was as a day as far as they're concerned. Spending your entire adult life trying to get one damn person to care that you were robbed of everything, that the last asset and link to your old life was cheerfully snatched up and sold by a Swiss bank that's still obscenely rich and sleek today, doing business with everybody, not caring what they did to you? And how that leaks into your daughter's mind so that she's paralyzed with fear and sorrow and then she finally hears that the guy who used her dead, Holocaust survivor father's stolen coins in a lie to make himself rich--ugh. Karen Allen really brought it in this episode, especially when she's talking to Olivet and shrieks out "HE WANTED TO GET ONE THING BACK!" No thing, no coin, no land, is just itself. It's what was done to its owners.

Brittle, angry Judith is one of the few killers I can really feel sorry for, and not just because I've adored Karen Allen for years. She would likely never have gotten in trouble with the law in any way if the crooked coin dealer hadn't lied about having her father's coins, and if his friend hadn't covered up for him to keep the lie from being exposed. Fair enough to say neither of them could have known how troubled she was, but had they not pretty much colluded to deceive everyone, not just her, none of it would have happened.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

"Promises to Keep" was on last night, with Lindsey Crouse as the shrink boinking her patient behind his fiancée's back, which lead to the guy murdering the fiancée. Still don't know why Ben and the team felt sorry for the crazy asshole. Yeah, the shrink took advantage of him, but the only real victim in that case was the actual murder victim. Her boyfriend cheated on her, then murdered her just to "protect" his precious Diiiiiiiiaaaane. And then the shrink tries to throw the cops off by making her out to be a crazy drunk slut. Ugh.

Um, that was a season 3 episode, why don't you move that post over to the general discussion thread

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Um, that was a season 3 episode, why don't you move that post over to the general discussion thread

Crap, I didn't know I posted it in this thread. Sorry!

On 4/27/2017 at 5:43 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Expert is on Sundance now. Gawd, Vera Farmiga's hair.

When the detectives were interviewing witnesses and one described her, she mentioned the bangs. Makes me wonder if Farmiga had the bangs when she got the role or if she had to get her hair cut like that because it was in the script. Now I'm trying to decide which is worse.

• Like 1