Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E19: Beautiful Dreamer

• Start Topic

This is the first episode I remember watching since it came back in January. What did Jackson do to ruin the Chief and his wife? I guess I need to google. 

Jo made me laugh, when she was talking about faking your death, finding a corpse, etc, and then later saying she probably scared that girl, whose name I can't remember. I'm really over romantic relationships being the centre of things, but this was sweet. I felt bad for them, but at least if they had to get rid of another actress, she got a ticket to Switzerland, instead of getting hit by a bus. 

Still don't like Deluca's sister, but it was nice to see Arizona happy. And I guess she managed to save that woman (I missed a small part of it). 

• Love 2

While I'm sorry that the dancer doctor was a Dreamer, I will not miss her and thank gawd she's gone.  And DeLuca seems happy enough in net week's preview.  I wonder if it will be revealed who turned her in?

• Love 9

Oh, I was also glad to see that April was able to figure out what was wrong with the baby, and that the father shifted over for her to sit down, in the chapel. 

Just now, Ohwell said:

While I'm sorry that the dancer doctor was a Dreamer, I will not miss her and thank gawd she's gone.  And DeLuca seems happy enough in net week's preview.  I wonder if it will be revealed who turned her in?

I thought they caught her on camera, at a stop light. She ran a red light, driving through as it turned yellow, and thinking she made it. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, TVForever said:

Oddly, this was the first time that I didn't mind DeLuca's sister so much. 

Who was the woman that Richard sat the death vigil for?

his AA sponser.

How is Bello going to get into Switzerland?  She doesn't have a passport.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, pally said:

his AA sponser.

How is Bello going to get into Switzerland?  She doesn't have a passport.

Yep, just like spotting a person running a red light is going to get her deported in no time flat. I knew about someone who got several tickets the last year, and the police just wanted him to pay the tickets. When he refused to, they did more checking and found out he was illegal. If he would have just paid his $75 (he was working in construction and had the cash on him) and would have stopped running red lights, he would have been fine. I did feel bad for DeLuca he is officially the character that gets shit on no matter what in life. 

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Anela said:

I thought they caught her on camera, at a stop light. She ran a red light, driving through as it turned yellow, and thinking she made it. 

Yup, I forgot about that.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Anela said:

This is the first episode I remember watching since it came back in January. What did Jackson do to ruin the Chief and his wife? I guess I need to google. 

The Dr. that Amelia wanted to talk to for Kimmie's surgery had some legal battle with Harper Avery over research and from what I understood, had signed an NDA. Now that Jackson has (somehow) gotten a lawyer to waive that, my guess is that Dr. can talk now and perhaps sue Catherine/The Foundation for money?

I thought that Bailey and Pierce were still lying to the ICE agent and those were someone else's scans.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

The Dr. that Amelia wanted to talk to for Kimmie's surgery had some legal battle with Harper Avery over research and from what I understood, had signed an NDA. Now that Jackson has (somehow) gotten a lawyer to waive that, my guess is that Dr. can talk now and perhaps sue Catherine/The Foundation for money?

I thought that Bailey and Pierce were still lying to the ICE agent and those were someone else's scans.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

My assumption was she can reveal something very damaging about The Foundation

I'm also guessing that Catherine had lied to Jackson about who she was. She said the woman lost a lawsuit and as a result had to sign some agreement. I think if she had told Jackson the truth he wouldn't have gotten the lawyer to do what he did. Although I'm sure she doesn't want Jackson to know the damaging news.

I'm surprised a lawyer would waive something like that without more information.

• Love 17

I'd bet money that whatever agreement Jackson had waived had nothing to do with the research. I think Catherine fed him a line to cover up something far more unsavory and Jackson had no idea what he's really opening them up to.

• Love 13

Good episode... I was sad to see bello GI. It felt like they had found a groove with her and De Luca...  Also.. I love  the relationship tween deluca and his sister.. I know she's not a fan fave but it felt like a real older sis lil bro dynamic.. Glad Maggie got over her issues.. I mean I get it but if it lasted longer than an episode I woulda been mad... 

• Love 6

Quick question: are the Deluca's Italian? Because after their 500th time speaking Italian, I'm still not quite sure. /sarcasm

Leave Cristina alone and let her be the genius that she is in Switzerland. Don't send her Seattle Grace Mercy Death's problems. She left for a reason. 

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'd bet money that whatever agreement Jackson had waived had nothing to do with the research. I think Catherine fed him a line to cover up something far more unsavory and Jackson had no idea what he's really opening them up to.

Right and if she would have told Jackson the truth, he most likely would have been shocked, but would have let things be. However, as many have said, you can't just waive something like that. It is like on shows when they magically "reopen" a sealed file. They are sealed for a reason, you can't just get them opened. Once again, Katherine is to blame, because she doesn't know when to speak up or shut up in other cases. 

• Love 13

I'm glad that Kimmie left the hospital and was able to exert at least some control over what's left of her life. If by some chance, another viable treatment becomes available, she can come back. But since the situation with this doctor in Chicago seems to be opening up a disastrous can of worms, it may be too late for Kimmie by the time it gets resolved - IF it gets resolved. I don't like to see kids die, but it's the reality of the situation. Let her go and have at least the thrill of her life before it's too late.

I was ok with Bello leaving. I found her character uninspiring and one-dimensional. She and Andrew did not seem to be anything special to me, other than two young lovers who had a tumultuous past. They've always said they were bad for each other, yet were we ever shown or told what exactly was wrong when they got together? Other than having sex every waking moment...what exactly was the worst they brought out in each other? And as mentioned, how does she leave the country without a passport? Whatever. Enjoy working with Christina! That's worth leaving Andrew!

Felt bad for Richard at the moment Ollie died, but it seems he's going to be able to deal with it.

I'm glad Jackson called Maggie out. I don't buy into their "grand passion," but I like that they finally used adult words right to each other's faces. OK, so now they're going ahead with their relationship full throttle. What next for them? How do the writers keep us  - or get us - interested in their relationship?

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I'm glad Jackson called Maggie out. I don't buy into their "grand passion," but I like that they finally used adult words right to each other's faces. OK, so now they're going ahead with their relationship full steam ahead. What next for them? How do the writers keep us  - or get us - interested in their relationship?

Jackson and Maggie's "fight" made no sense, nor why Maggie behaved like a toddler and gave him the silent treatment. April was clearly going through tough times, Maggie herself acknowledged that last week (right?) and she is mad that Jackson didn't tell her how April tried to kiss him in a supply closet and he pushed her away? Why would he have been obligated to tell her that?

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Jackson and Maggie's "fight" made no sense, nor why Maggie behaved like a toddler and gave him the silent treatment. April was clearly going through tough times, Maggie herself acknowledged that last week (right?) and she is mad that Jackson didn't tell her how April tried to kiss him in a supply closet and he pushed her away? Why would he have been obligated to tell her that?

Oh, I agree completely - Maggie was being an absolute brat! A child! A jerk! So I was glad Jackson yelled at her for it. Personally, I wish he'd shown her the door and never talked to her again!

• Love 18

A few more thoughts:

Does Arizona really think it's revolutionary to have a pre-set emergency cart in the labor/post-partum wards? I'd think any halfway competent hospital would be doing that already.

Glad to get some Jo & Alex time in there. I though it was very sweet how she said she wanted to take his last name, because it's the name of someone who loves her. And I also loved Jo pushing back against Meredith during rounds that while Meredith gets to do what she wants, Jo does not!

This is twice now this season that this show devastatingly shown the effects of the social issues currently plaguing this country. First the death of the 12 year boy at the hands of the police (and the subsequent 'talk' for Tuck from Bailey and Ben) and now the human consquences of deporting Dreamers. Bello's fear was leaping off the screen and the experience she related from her friend was gut wrenching. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 18

Another solid episode. I even liked Sam! Her story was well done & the actress did a good job. I love that the doctors work together this year rather than always fighting - Bailey, Amelia, Mer, Maggie, Jo all trying to help was nice. And Cristina saves the day! It was nice to see Mer, Amelia, Maggie, Jackson and Catherine all there for Richard too. 

Maggie and Jackson... whatever. I'm guessing Harper Avery was a perv and had women sign NDAs after payouts. 

Nice Alex and Jo scene at the end. I love that we actually see them interact this year. Kimmie leaving was so sad, and I so wanna see Alex as a dad. Also... Owen finally adopting?! 

I'm so glad that Vernoff actually works with the history of the show/characters and tells stories over time. The pace this year is the best it's been in years. 

Yay for April helping Matthew's daughter. 

• Love 14
32 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm assuming Bello has a Salvadoran passport, just not a US one.

She said her mother took her to the US when she was one. She may not have had a passport at that age, and even if she did, she would have had to renew it every five years at a Salvadoran consulate in the US for it to still be valid. And she can't just go to Switzerland without a visa either if she's supposed to attend a fellowship program there. A letter of acceptance from the venerable Cristina Yang is not a substitute for immigration paperwork.

I've been through the immigration wringer multiple times in different countries, so it angers me how most TV shows who touch this subject get the details completely wrong.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 15

Maggie has a problem with lies of omission.. Like Richard hanging out with her for weeks and not mentioning he was her dad.. Or Meredith and the whole Nathan fiasco..  Or her mom and the cancer... So when ppl important to her hold things back... Especially when its the to "protect" her she gets like she got... I get it.. Tho I'm glad Jackson shot back that. In this case that's not exactly what was happening even tho it kinda was.. 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'm assuming Bello has a Salvadoran passport, just not a US one.

Except that she was brought to the US as a small child. Even if her family had come legally and "overstayed", that passport would have long ago expired. I think this is just one of those pesky little details that we're just supposed to ignore for the sake of the story. I'm just glad they gave her a good sendoff, although I wouldn't have minded DeLuca going with her. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I'm guessing Harper Avery was a perv and had women sign NDAs after payouts. 

I also had those types of thoughts or that Harper Avery had a child/grandchild out there somewhere that isn't known to Jackson and/or Catherine.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Does Arizona really think it's revolutionary to have a pre-set emergency cart in the labor/post-partum wards? I'd think any halfway competent hospital would be doing that already.

She made me wonder if maybe hospitals don't have emergency carts there.  Maybe new moms don't actually get the closer attention they need after giving birth.  There's a reason our mortality rate for both kids and moms is way too high for a developed country.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I also had those types of thoughts or that Harper Avery had a child/grandchild out there somewhere that isn't known to Jackson and/or Catherine.

Harper Avery has been retconned, IMO, from when we first saw him as a modest and very nice patient and Cristina was fawning over him.

• Love 7

I'm very bad.  When Meredith and Bailey asked which one, I was, "All of them.  Deport all of them off the show."

Matt is a nice guy, and I hope April doesn't screw up his life again.  What April and Jackson did to Matt was horrible.

• Love 10

I kinda liked Owen reflecting on Matthew raising Ruby on his own and realizing maybe he doesnt need a significant other to do it. I especially like the Fostering move. There are hundreds of kids who need good homes. However, He is friends with Meredith though right? Because even though her children are phantom on this show, she’s doing that too. Maybe we’ll get a single parent’s club night out of it.

Man, I did have some tears tonight. Kinnie’s story, Sam’s story, they got me. I hope they reached others too.

Jo kills me. She is definitely a planner. 

Im going to predict the Harper Avery business is going to be about sexual harassment/sex. We’ve had current events this season, I think we’re about to see #metoo reflected on the show too...

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 11

I feel like Jo is my favorite character on this show right now. I hope Alex and she have their wedding.

Hm. The deal with Harper Avery is so strange they have changed his personality so much.

Also.. what was baileys end goal with the government guy? I’m saving your life so you have to let the intern stay? I’m hoping she wasn’t thinking that but still.

Also Merdirth continues to feel like a non entity on the show lately. Sure she sometimes has stuff going on but she seems more like a background piece for other characters stories.

• Love 6

Holy Moley! Did I just hear Arizona propose a specialized crash cart in perinatal areas as her solution to perinatal mortalities? She's only at least 40 years behind the times. Wow, what a huge faux pas!

Wonder what Jackson did in calling off the lawyers that is ruination?  Wow.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Except that she was brought to the US as a small child. Even if her family had come legally and "overstayed", that passport would have long ago expired. I think this is just one of those pesky little details that we're just supposed to ignore for the sake of the story. I'm just glad they gave her a good sendoff, although I wouldn't have minded DeLuca going with her. 

Forgive me... confused Canadian chiming in... 

I thought the point of DACA, when Obama introduced it/made it law was that these kids & their families were legally in the country. Given that, wouldn't they have been able to get legal passports at the time? Trump didn't DACA that long ago. 

Mind you, I also thought that the courts had postponed the ending of DACA due to a legal challenge of some sort. 

• Love 2

My favourite line was Kimmie saying "Chemo doesn't keep me from dying, it makes me want to die."  Yeah, I know that feeling.

The ending of Arizona's big project was just as lame as her original proposal.  Having a crash cart isn't going to help the women who can't get to a hospital, who don't have adequate prenatal care, who are older and less fit ....

2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I missed it .  Did the immigration man make it through the surgery ok?

Yes. It was after that that he told Bailey the crime Bello was being deported for, running a red light.

2 hours ago, readster said:

Yep, just like spotting a person running a red light is going to get her deported in no time flat. I knew about someone who got several tickets the last year, and the police just wanted him to pay the tickets. When he refused to, they did more checking and found out he was illegal. If he would have just paid his $75 (he was working in construction and had the cash on him) and would have stopped running red lights, he would have been fine. I did feel bad for DeLuca he is officially the character that gets shit on no matter what in life. 

That was then. This year they're going after everyone they can.  Parents dropping their kids off at school, even a woman who went to court to testify against an abusive husband had ICE agents waiting at the courthouse to deport her. Studies have found that Dreamers are afraid to report crimes against them in case they get deported.

2 hours ago, readster said:

Right and if she would have told Jackson the truth, he most likely would have been shocked, but would have let things be. However, as many have said, you can't just waive something like that. It is like on shows when they magically "reopen" a sealed file. They are sealed for a reason, you can't just get them opened. Once again, Katherine is to blame, because she doesn't know when to speak up or shut up in other cases. 

I don't think it was sealed, it was just a non-disclosure so the researcher couldn't talk to anyone from an Avery Foundation hospital.

How did Jackson get to be such a nice guy?  Both his parents and his paternal grandfather are the pits.  Obvious that Catherine was lying to him and she knew much more about the non-disclosure than she admitted to him.  Poor Jackson, he's the one who should be moving to Switzerland so that he can get out from under his mother's thumb.  (Nice to see Jessica Steen pop up as the other researcher.  Hope this isn't the end of her appearances.)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also Merdirth continues to feel like a non entity on the show lately. Sure she sometimes has stuff going on but she seems more like a background piece for other characters stories.

Oh, but we got to see her cuddle with little Bailey and little Ellis today. It's so rare that we get to see her with her kids.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Oh, but we got to see her cuddle with little Bailey and little Ellis today. It's so rare that we get to see her with her kids.

Yeah that was nice. Most of the time I’m pretty sure her kids are on a milk carton somewhere so that was nice, it’s just kind of odd how lately she seems to be more of a story mover for others. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah that was nice. Most of the time I’m pretty sure her kids are on a milk carton somewhere so that was nice, it’s just kind of odd how lately she seems to be more of a story mover for others. 

Perhaps that's what Ellen wants? I've read that her latest deal with ABC/Shondaland has given her a lot more behind-the-scenes responsibility - producing, directing, etc. She also said a few years ago that she doesn't want to do any more acting after Grey's. I don't mind Meredith taking more of a backseat story-wise as long as the other storylines are good.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Perhaps that's what Ellen wants? I've read that her latest deal with ABC/Shondaland has given her a lot more behind-the-scenes responsibility - producing, directing, etc. She also said a few years ago that she doesn't want to do any more acting after Grey's. I don't mind Meredith taking more of a backseat story-wise as long as the other storylines are good.

Yeah, that may be it. It’s just kind of odd but I know she’s producing the other Shondaland show now so that probably does  keep her busy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Biggie B said:

How do the writers keep us  - or get us - interested in their relationship?

In my case, those are THE operant words! Not shipping Maggie and Jackson AT ALL.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 13

The promos and the camera's focus on Roy and Qadri coming down the stairs made it Very Obvious that it was one of the two interns "who looked like terrorists" that ICE was after, so I realized immediately that it was really Andrew's Chippy the ICE guy was after.  I am not sorry to see her go because the actress was terrible; however, the writers did a good job of showing how completely fucked up the Dreamers' situation is right now.  I was furious on Bello's behalf, and I hate her character.  Of course, as others have said, I'm not sure how she can actually leave the United States or enter Switzerland without a passport, but...whatever.

Oh, and Catherine, hon?  Let's be very, very clear: Jackson did not ruin you and everyone else.  You ruined you and everyone else by obviously not telling him the whole truth.  I realize that you think you are never to blame for anything, you megalomaniacal asshole, but you, in fact, have no one to blame but yourself in this instance.  So please:

giphy.gif

• Love 15
3 hours ago, izabella said:

She made me wonder if maybe hospitals don't have emergency carts there.  Maybe new moms don't actually get the closer attention they need after giving birth.  There's a reason our mortality rate for both kids and moms is way too high for a developed country.

No, that was nuts. Of course there are crash carts in delivery and post partum areas. Newly delivered moms are closely watched as it is a critical time, especially regarding hemorrhaging. We used to have a special recovery area where we kept them at least for an hour, and often longer if indicated.

Have to say that's the most lame plot point I've seen on this show, especially since Arizona intends to make it her genius contest idea.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 6

LOL'd at the suggestion they run off to Canada.  That would make her/them illegal in Canada.  And for her, how is running off to Switzerland any different re her immigration status.  Sure, with the Christina letter, she "might" be legal in Switzerland, although I'd expect they would require more than that, but she's still run away from ICE.  And unless Mer and the gang hired a private plane, without a valid passport, she's not getting on.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

LOL'd at the suggestion they run off to Canada.  That would make her/them illegal in Canada.  And for her, how is running off to Switzerland any different re her immigration status.  Sure, with the Christina letter, she "might" be legal in Switzerland, although I'd expect they would require more than that, but she's still run away from ICE.  And unless Mer and the gang hired a private plane, without a valid passport, she's not getting on.

It's a shame that in tackling a serious topic like that they screwed up the story in that way. 

• Love 3

It's pretty clear to me that this Harper Avery thing is going to be Grey's #MeToo story. We're going to find out that Avery was a serial sexual harasser and that Katherine enabled him or at the very least turned a blind eye to it.

Meredith mentioned that the nanny called in sick. Have we ever seen this nanny? I can't imagine a live-in with the nonstop drama at Casa Grey.

I still cringe at the sight of Jackson and Maggie.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 8

When Dr. Froy hung up abruptly with Amelia after finding out that Grey Sloan was a Harper Avery hospital, I thought the explanation was going to be that she was doing some kind of research with Meredith's mom's friend.

But then as soon as I saw how shifty Catherine got when Jackson asked her about it, I knew that she was lying about that alleged research dispute and that she was hiding something far shadier. Will it be something as mundane as an illegitimate Avery who will now lay claim to everything in the Harper Avery universe, thus rendering Jackon, Catherine, and the hospital penniless (or at this other person's control)?

I know that April is concerned about Matthew's baby, but when Arizona said not to go in and see him, she didn't mean to hover outside the exam room all day where he could see her through the blinds.

Poor Sam. Even though I didn't enjoy her character (what little she was given to do), she doesn't deserve to be deported to El Salvador for running a red light.

Despite Deluca's not very flowery proposal (Meredith's assessment as the worst proposal ever was a bit harsh), I know someone who did the same thing. This guy I knew was dating a woman. They were both in their mid 20s. Shortly into their relationship (less than a year if I recall correctly), her visa expired. I can't remember if it was a work visa or a student visa but she was not going to be able to just fly home, renew it right away, and come back immediately. They decided to get married so she could stay in the country. I asked him if he was ready to make a commitment as serious as getting married and his answer was similar to Deluca's. He said that if things were different then no, he wouldn't be marrying her so soon, but that he knew he didn't want her to leave the country and possibly never see her again. Keep in mind this was in the early days of email and cell phones so a long distance relationship in different time zones was not as easy as it is now (no free long distance phone calls, no skyping, the fun of waiting for your dial up connection). He said he would rather marry her so that she could stay and they could continue their relationship and find out if they really wanted to be together than let her go back and end things. 20+ years later, they're still married and more in love than ever.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Quick question: are the Deluca's Italian? Because after their 500th time speaking Italian, I'm still not quite sure. /sarcasm

I for once find it realistic (Something Grey's lack so much, just a tiny bit grain of reality). I am brazilian and when I was living abroad with my husband (then my boyfriend) it was much more natural for us to speak portuguese with each other, although for purposes of training we tried to speak english or german even when we were just the two of us... specially when the subject became passionate (a small arguing or about family and how much we missed our country) we naturally tended towards our mother language.

Why introduce us to Bello and make her and Delucca a thing if they were going to get rid of her? 

Owen is finally doing what all of us have been suggesting for years. If you want a child then get one. Adoption. So obvious. Although I don't understand how these doctors who stay sometimes 12/14 hours in surgery have kids (mainly when are single parenting or co-parenting with other doctors). As I stated before... a great lack of reality.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Harper Avery has been retconned, IMO, from when we first saw him as a modest and very nice patient and Cristina was fawning over him.

I mean, most people who met Louis CK or Kevin Spacey or Bill Clinton would probably describe them as kind and modest too. You can't really get a lot from someone in a single meeting. If we had seen more of Harper Avery then maybe it would be harder to digest, but people are deep and complicated and we never saw enough of him for me to say that he was any one thing. I like that they've used the character as a catalyst for so many stories this year. I think it's a great gift of Vernoff's to use the history of the show so well while keeping things progressing.  

11 minutes ago, justmythoughts said:

Why introduce us to Bello and make her and Delucca a thing if they were going to get rid of her? 

All of the interns were only signed as recurring guest stars & she got an offer to lead a spin-off on The CW, so it was her decision to go. Much like when Heather (Tina Majorino) was the only intern to leave her class because the actress got an offer to be fulltime on The Last Ship.  Hopefully Bello isn't the only intern to go, though...

• Love 6