Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: The Last Ball on Earth

• Start Topic

Eureka can get the hell off my TV with these stunts she's pulling on Untucked. Mayhem is getting a side eye from me for cosigning this BS.  

4 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I liked Cracker's lerks better than Aquaria's. 

There was no way Dusty was going to win the Lip Sync against Monet.  Most of the Black queens are Lip Sync Assassins!  

When Monet turned it with the voguing and Dusty did the damn running man?!  I just said "Girl" and shook my head.  

Edited by Dani331
  • Love 20

Miz Cracker should have won. Aquaria’s looks didn’t dazzle me. Too much body, not enough look.

Eureka and Vixen need to go in a double elimination. Everyone else seems really nice, but they are too much (which is saying a hell of a lot on a drag show).

Blair St. Clair freaks me the hell out. I’m seeing cis female every time I look at her both in and out of drag.

• Love 8

Asia O'Hara's Martian look reminded me of The Wiz. 

I didn't get Miss's Cracker Alaskan/Hawaiian bikini. I loved her other looks. 

I really appreciated that some of the queens did skier chick, so we didn't all Ice Queens for that part of the challenge. 

The elimination broke my heart a little tonight. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

I am still really in love with this cast. Even the ones grating my nerves - Aquaria, Eureka, The Vixen - are bringing something to the party, and the pack seems unusually strong. And so many of the queens are funny as hell! Monique, Monet, and Cracker especially are exceptionally quick-witted and hilarious. We may actually have a great Snatch Game on our hands this year, let's hope, because those three are like a trio of Bobs, just naturally funny. 

Monet killed that lip sync. I cackled out loud when she faked us out the first time with the splits, and then she delivered the actual goods at the end. 

Monique's laugh is fantastic. I love all the genuine camaraderie that seems to be in the room, and that it doesn't feel like they're playing safe to avoid Twitter fallout, the love feels real -- it may be partially because so many are New York girls.

I was also happy to see Ru really making the rounds and getting some backstory (and convenient foreshadowing, in the case of Asia) from the queens, that's a fantastic way to spend the extra half hour in the time slot. I kinda wished she'd asked Blair more about her drag background -- I'm in Indy, too, and I'd love to know if her looks are all sewn by her, or if she's somehow getting some of that vintage/vintage-inspired stuff here?? I'm just so curious about it! And as the first Hoosier queen, I want to hear more.

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, rlc said:

At what point is Michelle going to call out Blair for her inability to walk properly in heels?

Not looking down on Blair because that's how I walk in heels too, but at least it's not part of my job.

43 minutes ago, rlc said:

At what point is Michelle going to call out Blair for her inability to walk properly in heels?

Didn't Blair cut her foot in episode 2. The thing that viewers forget is that the show films at least 2 episodes a week. So at best, it's been a week since Blair hurt her foot.

• Love 4

After tonight's episode, I have to start watching the runway portion of the show with the sound turned off, my eyes rolled so hard.

Those were some painfully unfunny comments.

Edited by beartrash
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ruby Gillis said:

They told Dusty her outfit wasn't Martian enough??!!  What does that even mean?

55 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

I am still really in love with this cast. Even the ones grating my nerves - Aquaria, Eureka, The Vixen - are bringing something to the party, and the pack seems unusually strong. And so many of the queens are funny as hell! Monique, Monet, and Cracker especially are exceptionally quick-witted and hilarious. We may actually have a great Snatch Game on our hands this year, let's hope, because those three are like a trio of Bobs, just naturally funny. 

Monet killed that lip sync. I cackled out loud when she faked us out the first time with the splits, and then she delivered the actual goods at the end. 

Monique's laugh is fantastic. I love all the genuine camaraderie that seems to be in the room, and that it doesn't feel like they're playing safe to avoid Twitter fallout, the love feels real -- it may be partially because so many are New York girls.

I was also happy to see Ru really making the rounds and getting some backstory (and convenient foreshadowing, in the case of Asia) from the queens, that's a fantastic way to spend the extra half hour in the time slot. I kinda wished she'd asked Blair more about her drag background -- I'm in Indy, too, and I'd love to know if her looks are all sewn by her, or if she's somehow getting some of that vintage/vintage-inspired stuff here?? I'm just so curious about it! And as the first Hoosier queen, I want to hear more.

OMG, so cool! @Ruby Gillis and @annewithaneee posted in a row.  I love both of you! So glad you're  both alive, in Avonlea (an Avonlea viewing party right?) and watching Ru Paul.  I hope L. M. Montgomery is watching from afar and as excited as I am. 

(People not in the know Anne spelled with e is Anne of Green Gables and Ruby Gillis is one of Anne's classmates and friends. )

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

You had me at Avonlea. <3

When will this be available streaming!? Or the DVDs not being a billion and a half dollars. canadian.

It makes me sad that Dusty is gone, I feel like having being forced into a conversion camp should give her a couple more weeks safety. Also, what was the word blurred on the dress?

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Megan said:

When will this be available streaming!? Or the DVDs not being a billion and a half dollars. canadian.

It makes me sad that Dusty is gone, I feel like having being forced into a conversion camp should give her a couple more weeks safety. Also, what was the word blurred on the dress?

One of the words was the f-word slur for a gay man. I couldn't read the one in green on the bottom. 

Kameron disappeared between the mini-challenge and the runway. I don't think he even had a talking head.

Did they edit out Phi Phi's name when Asia was talking about her drag family? It seems weird if she deliberately left her out.

I see RuPaul got sick of people complaining about her makeup/hair these past couple of seasons. "Fuck it, just slap some bleached hay on me and cover the rest up." 

Dusty broke my heart, especially that quick shot in Untucked when he looked like he was going to lose it in the background. He seems like such a sweet guy. 

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 2

A great episode. Really good idea do go on reverse and put a ball challenge with THREE looks for each queen (once again, lame on you All Stars season). It really is a great cast when so early on the game its getting hard to see this queens leaving.. Dusty, I didnt see that comming, no this week.  I think the fall in the bottom because the judges took in consideration other stuff and even past performances, otherwise, based on what was presented in the runway this week, it would be Monet X Asia. But yep, Dusty would still be 3rd to last and after last week awfull runway, she needed to do better.

Unpopular Opinion: I love Miz Cracker, but I was a little underwhelmed with her looks this week.. It was too much on the nose, specially the Mars.. I agree with her when she wondered if she was too obvious/too safe. I would have her in the safe group with Eureka in the top 3, right behind Kameron and Aquaria. And I agree with the judges that Aquaria took this one. It was a close one between her and Kameron tho, but Aquaria managed to take the themes and still put her brand on all the three looks. She had the wow factor without the need to pull of big stuff/alot clothes.

And what a great lip sync. Monet killed it but Dusty served (specially in the second hald). In the end, I think one of the weakest queens one of the strongest (if not the strongest) cast left. In other seasons, what she brought would be enough to keep her around further.

PS: Kudos for the producers to avoid to point out who would leave by the editing. In other seasons you could really pick from the edit who out of the bottom 2 would leave. This week, after see alot of Monet and Asia and just a little bit from Dusty, I wasnt expecting her to be in the bottom and be the one leaving. Thank you for keep it suspenseful and make the show feels like a real competition again.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Luciano said:

Kameron disappeared between the mini-challenge and the runway. I don't think he even had a talking head.

IKR? Week one I didnt know what we would get from her, but based on the last two weeks, shes wowing me with her looks. However, there is no character to Kameron or something that stood out on her out of drag.. At least it not being showed at all.. Her acting with her Mars outfit was the only glimpsy of character we saw from her. I think shes using so strong looks that she felt confident that they should speak for themselves maybe? She said she was unsure on her Mars outfit so she compensated by showing personality. She needs do more of that otherwise....

18 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

My recording had a glitch. What did Ru day when she started “for all you girls in the back, this....”? It completely went silent for me, then all the queens started clapping.

´´Thats what we call a Lip Sync For Your Life!`` , talking on how good she thought it was/how she expects the others to bring that level once them find themselves there.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 4

Good grief, you don't have to be a tennis super fan to know the difference between Venus Williams and Serena Williams [who was in the photo bomb photo] - I was so distracted by that mix up I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the mini challenge. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Speaking of confusion, this was the first episode of the season where I knew who everybody was - in and out of drag. Phew.

• Love 1

Loved the photobomb/photoshoot/photoshop mini challenge!

Wow, I am so impressed with the variety of clients that Asia has for her costume/garment business.

I have really been enjoying the workroom conversations this season. I totally cracked up when Miz Cracker said that she's open to having a sugar daddy and working her way up was not a look she was trying to steal from Aquaria, followed by Aquaria joining in on the joke.

Man, three looks for the runway is a lot of work.

Mayhem's winter look was NOT Dita von Teese in any way. That was a pink one piece bathing suit with a slit in the stomach. Her summer look was better but very pageanty. Her alien look was great. Loved the dramatic cape.

Eureka's winter look was just okay, but she upped the look with that floor length polka dot robe. Loved her Judy Jetson summer look. Her alien look didn't really give me an alien feel, but it that headpiece was definitely dramatic.

Monet's winter look with the neon bathing suit was okay but the matching wig was terrible. It looked like the hair from a troll doll. Her summer look was a little simple. The white dress was too plain, even with the fur coat and the crown. The makeup was interesting. Her alien look was better than I thought it would be when she was originally hacking up that quilted red fabric in the workroom. The respirator was a fun Burning Man touch.

Kameron's winter look was simple but she was serving body. The hat and purplish robe were good accessories to amp it up. Her summer look was an interesting mix. Although I didn't love the pink and blue bodysuit, it was different from all the white outfits we saw from the other girls. Where she really won me over with this look was the makeup. Her alien look was cute. Loved the malfunctioning phone which made it fun.

The Vixen's winter look was tiny and see through. Loved the giant fan. I didn't love her summer look because the dress was just pretty. What I loved was her hair and makeup though. The blue wig, the horns, and the beautiful makeup really sold the look. I didn't like her alien look though. The main part looked like a wrinkled bedazzled leotard. I hated the partial pant legs.

Aquaria's lucha libre winter look was definitely a standout, partly because of the bright colors and partly because it was a full look, not just a bathing suit. Aquaria's pastel rainbow summer look was pretty. I liked that the hair piece flowed right into the costume. I give her credit for making an entire costume out of some cardboard covered fabric. It was really bold and graphic. The cape added a lot of drama.

Dusty's winter look was cute from the neck down. I liked the vintage bathing suit but I didn't like the addition of the dominatrix whip and hat or the harsh looking makeup. I wish she had gone for a soft pinup model look with her hair and makeup. Her summer look was dramatic but Blair was right about the lights in the hair not showing up well on the runway. I didn't love the poufy sleeves, only because they kind of looked like trashbags. I was worried about her alien look when Blair said it was basically a corset and panties with stuff glued to it. That's exactly what it looked like.

Monique's watermelon winter look was different which was a bonus. Her summer look was boring from a distance. Her alien look was not my favorite.

Blair's vintage winter look was adorable. I loved her hair, her sunglasses, and the striped bathing suit. Her summer look was chic. Her pink alien look didn't look very alien, but her face and hair looked gorgeous.

Asia's winter look was a little too minimal for me. I liked the colorful balls but I wanted more. Her face was pretty. Her summer look was definitely over the etop with all the eon colors, animal print, the faux fur. Her alien costume was over the top because of the headdress but the dress wasn't great. The best part was the structured skirt.

Miz Cracker's winter hula look was cute. I was more impressed when she said the bathing suit was made of hair. Without the green skirt in the back, I wouldn't have realized it was a hula girl look. Her summer look was pretty. I got the James Bond vibe she was going for and I liked that she went with light pink instead of white. Her alien look was really simple. I was sure te judges would read her for just wearing a silver leotard.

I totally agree with Tisha - if you have to explain your outfits, you're in trouble. I say the same thing about the d esigns on Project Runway, the dances on SYTYCD, etc. Your art needs to be able to stand on its own two feet without any explanation. 

My favorite part of the LSFYL was Mayhem's fakeout. Hilarious!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Monet was not entirely wrong when talking about British and American accents. There are some key features of what we think of as a typical British accent that did not develop in British speech until after the revolutionary war.

https://www.livescience.com/33652-americans-brits-accents.html

That was so funny. I'm a linguistics nerd so I knew she was basically right, she just got the part about them going back to England wrong. We tend to think of Shakespeare spoken in those rich, plummy, Laurence Olivier tones, but American-style English, with our hard r's and flat a's, is actually probably closer to the way they spoke in the 16th century than modern upper-class Brit English is. Throw in a little Welsh and Scottish and bang - Shakespeare. French is like that, too. Despite modern French people looking down on Quebecois as being low and corrupted, the way they speak in Quebec is closer to 16th century French than modern French is.

This was a fun episode, but I was very sad to see Dusty go. I thought he really had a lot of potential.

Edited by Kathira
Info on French
  • Love 15
49 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Good grief, you don't have to be a tennis super fan to know the difference between Venus Williams and Serena Williams [who was in the photo bomb photo] - I was so distracted by that mix up I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the mini challenge.

Nope, that definitely was Venus. 

This was the season's first LSFYL to appear competitive, even if Monét clearly was the winner by the end. And Ru's runway look was E.VERY.THING.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kathira said:

That was so funny. I'm a linguistics nerd so I knew she was basically right, she just got the part about them going back to England wrong. We tend to think of Shakespeare spoken in those rich, plummy, Laurence Olivier tones, but American-style English, with our hard r's and flat a's, is actually probably closer to the way they spoke in the 16th century than modern upper-class Brit English is. Throw in a little Welsh and Scottish and bang - Shakespeare. French is like that, too. Despite modern French people looking down on Quebecois as being low and corrupted, the way they speak in Quebec is closer to 16th century French than modern French is.

Funny, I was just reading about this earlier in the week because of the West End cast of Hamilton performing at the Olivier Awards!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Luciano said:

Has Kameron ever had a talking head? I was genuinely trying to remember last night when I realized how boring his runway voiceover is.

Blair’s talking heads are also kind of boring which makes me think she won’t win even though she is quite funny in the challenges.

Edited by Ruby Gillis
6 hours ago, CaioF said:

PS: Kudos for the producers to avoid to point out who would leave by the editing. In other seasons you could really pick from the edit who out of the bottom 2 would leave. This week, after see alot of Monet and Asia and just a little bit from Dusty, I wasn't expecting her to be in the bottom and be the one leaving. Thank you for keep it suspenseful and make the show feels like a real competition again.

Especially in Untucked, where we see Asia remove herself and start listening to the Lip Sync song by herself.  I bet she thought she would be going against Monet.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, CaioF said:

PS: Kudos for the producers to avoid to point out who would leave by the editing. In other seasons you could really pick from the edit who out of the bottom 2 would leave. This week, after see alot of Monet and Asia and just a little bit from Dusty, I wasn't expecting her to be in the bottom and be the one leaving. Thank you for keep it suspenseful and make the show feels like a real competition again.

Especially in Untucked, where we see Asia remove herself and start listening to the Lip Sync song by herself.  I bet she thought she would be going against Monet.

• Love 1

I preferred Aquaria's lurks to The Cracker's (TM Avaryl from Movie Bitches). I love how the editors are having fun with Aquaria but she is still doing well in the competition. Oftentimes they'll make girls out to be delusional, singing their own praises only to actually bomb in the challenge. That's why I thought Aquaria might be in danger when she was talking herself up. But no, she actually turned it out!

Monet's fake out during the LSFYL was incredible! I actually thought Dusty was pretty bad on the lip synch, but that song really didn't suit him. And I don't feel too bad for him leaving, not with that cute fiance he gets to go home to.

Miss Asia really tugged on my heartstrings this episode. You can tell she is just so nurturing and a truly good person. I really want her to succeed in this competition.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Temperance said:

OMG, so cool! @Ruby Gillis and @annewithaneee posted in a row.  I love both of you! So glad you're  both alive, in Avonlea (an Avonlea viewing party right?) and watching Ru Paul.  I hope L. M. Montgomery is watching from afar and as excited as I am. 

(People not in the know Anne spelled with e is Anne of Green Gables and Ruby Gillis is one of Anne's classmates and friends. )

Soooo this is shameful, but one of those not in the know is me. I'm vaguely aware "Anne with an A" and Anne of Green Gables as a thing and occasionally invoke it to get people to stop calling me Annie, but I've never read the books or seen the TV shows (either OG or Netflix). I know, it's terrible of me. I'll fix it soonish.

So I was super confused about this because while I'm positive @Ruby Gillis the PTV forum poster is amazing, I do live near a town called Avon and had to read through this like ten times before I understood wtf was going on!!! Haha it's going to be a long day if I'm going to continue being this slow on the uptake. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Good grief, you don't have to be a tennis super fan to know the difference between Venus Williams and Serena Williams [who was in the photo bomb photo] - I was so distracted by that mix up I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the mini challenge. I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

4 hours ago, JohnnyGilda said:

Nope, that definitely was Venus. 

Well, this is bizarre. Down here in Oz we got this version:

The_Last_Ball_on_Earth_-_Stan-2.jpg

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

Soooo this is shameful, but one of those not in the know is me. I'm vaguely aware "Anne with an A" and Anne of Green Gables as a thing and occasionally invoke it to get people to stop calling me Annie, but I've never read the books or seen the TV shows (either OG or Netflix). I know, it's terrible of me. I'll fix it soonish.

So I was super confused about this because while I'm positive @Ruby Gillis the PTV forum poster is amazing, I do live near a town called Avon and had to read through this like ten times before I understood wtf was going on!!! Haha it's going to be a long day if I'm going to continue being this slow on the uptake. 

It's Anne with an E, not Anne with an A. Anne Shirley, aka Anne of Green Gables, aka Anne spelled with an E, prefers Anne spelled like A-N-N-E as opposed to A-N-N. 

Ruby Gillis is one of Anne Shirley's friends. They're both from the town of Avonlea. I reccommend the books. 

Edited by Temperance

I haven't commented since AS3, but this season is breathing the love of the show back into me. So I'll just comment to say this: last night was the best Raven's makeup has ever looked on Ru.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Temperance said:

It's Anne with an E, not Anne with an A. Anne Shirley, aka Anne of Green Gables, aka Anne spelled with an E, prefers Anne spelled like A-N-N-E as opposed to A-N-N. 

Ruby Gillis is one of Anne Shirley's friends. They're both from the town of Avonlea. I reccommend the books. 

Lol yeah I meant Anne with an E. Definitely was a bit slow on the uptake this morning. My handle, which has been a screename go-to for a decade and a half now, just stemmed from having to always say "I'm Anne with an E" as in not Ann, and definitely not Annie. I've known "Anne with an E" was also a Anne of Green Gables reference forever, but I've never actually read it. I think that's blasphemy for bookish young women period, let alone Annes, but I'll get to it!

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 2

As someone named Ann, I can assure you that Anns and Annes are constantly asked whether or not our names are spelled with an 'E' - nothing to do with Anne of Green Gables.  Of course, as an Anne of either variety, particularly a young one, I'm sure she would have wanted you to get it right.  (Anne of Green Gables wouldn't have occurred to me, but then again I was never drawn to the book. )

Edited by akr
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2018 at 5:54 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Her pink alien look didn't look very alien, but her face and hair looked gorgeous.

Blair's pink alien look worked for me. If you've seen the Fifth Element, the flight attendants' costumes in the film reference classic Pan Am flight attendant uniforms from the 60s. The film costumes are racier and have more modern fabrics, but the connection that Jean Paul Gaultier was trying to make is pretty obvious. That's how I looked at Blair's pink alien look. Blair looked like a flight attendant for first class on Martian Intergalactic. It's still got Blair's vintage inspiration without seeming too stodgy.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 13

Back on topic, I rewatched and another thing stuck out to me -- I love that "Vanjie...Vanjie....Miss Vanjie..." has become a thing. I'm not sure if they're doing it intentionally or not - they probably are? - but making that the "purse first" of this season is actually really lovely. I hope it keeps Vanessa from joining the Ms. Irrelevant club of other first eliminated queens. 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Well, this is bizarre. Down here in Oz we got this version:

The_Last_Ball_on_Earth_-_Stan-2.jpg

Huh. I just rewatched the episode and we got Venus Williams holding the plate and Miz Cracker doing the same pose on the right side of her!  That is so odd. 

Venus Williams.jpg

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 7

I am a wrestling nerd, so Aquaria referencing lucha put her just barely over Miss Cracker for me

My friend at the viewing party is also into linguistics and was LIVID that everyone was laughing at Monet. I told him to get a meet and greet ticket when she is in town just so they can bond over it!

Asia being "mom" to everyone reminds me that she is the only Cancer in the cast this season!

I adored Vixen's wig. I get Eureka is probably annoying. Once she started clapping in threes I was over it. I would have taken up smoking just so I could leave the room.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2018 at 8:52 PM, rlc said:

Blair St. Clair freaks me the hell out. I’m seeing cis female every time I look at her both in and out of drag.

OMG. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. When I first saw him, I thought he was a tomboy who is also a drag queen.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the episode.  

My one big takeaway? What was Tisha Campbell-Martin wearing?  I think it is a nice enough dress (but I don't like dresses that show that much cleavage, in general) but for a younger, much more pert lady.  It actually looked painful the way her breasts were pulled apart and taped into that dress.

• Love 3