Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E22: Kōpī wale nō i ka iʻa a ʻeu nō ka ilo (Though the Fish is Well Salted, the Maggots Crawl)

• Start Topic

(edited)

FYI... Eagle-eyed people/show fans, whatever, who've read all of the linked press release above, including the guest actors & the roles they played, have noticed that the young actor listed as playing the role of "Kid", in the 11th spot out of 14 guest actors--if I figured it out correctly--is Spike Jones Stedman.

For those who don't know, Spike is Alex's 9-year-old stepson from his wife Malia's previous marriage, to Australian pro surfer Luke Stedman. Since Alex & Malia try to maintain their sons' privacy (given that Spike & Lion--Alex & Malia's son together--are still legal minors; I think Alex's eldest son, Saxon, is a legal adult now... at least here in the US, if not also in Australia), I have the feeling the scene(s) with Spike won't really be that long (like long enough most people could recognize him later), so they can hopefully maintain Spike's privacy afterwards; but it at least seems to be a long/big enough part that Spike got a guest starring credit for it (as I remember, there are certain criteria that have to be met about the size of an acting role so it gets credited, or not).

I think the credit is cool (although, in the end it was probably a "courtesy" thing Peter & the other showrunners did because Spike is Alex's stepson & Alex is the first lead in the show). And I like that, even though I bet the role of "Kid" is probably really teeny, they chose to let Spike do it with a publicized credit (which they had to know would be--& has been--noticed by really observant fans of Alex & the show, who either read the press release themselves or heard about it from someone else who did), instead of having Spike do it uncredited so he could maintain his anonymity (or however much anonymity he has around Honolulu, given who his biological parents & stepfather are).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a period and some wording.
(edited)

Another kidnapped relative?  And haven’t we also had things “stolen” from the evidence locker for some reason or another?  

Aren’t there supposed to be 8 million stories in the naked city?  There must be a few thousand in Hawaii.

P.S.  The title is disgusting !  Maggots - yuck!!!

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1

Thought there were some really good performances in this - I'm not usually a fan of the Jerry character at all but Jorge Garcia played it very well with the mix of humour and empathy. I especially liked the chess game - and the guy playing the patient Harris, with all his tics, was excellent I thought. The orderly Mila was lovely and their connection during the investigation and at the end was sweet and credible.

Tani and Grover together in the 'blue room of interrogation' are always enjoyable. In fact, Meaghan Rath is quite a revelation - she has played her storyline with her brother beautifully. She is a very talented. 

The appearance of AOL's son was just plain annoying/awful (although, what a gorgeous looking boy!). It's all very well to do a favour for your star but that was not subtle!  I hate that kind of stuff. 

• Love 2

Emma Woodhouse !!! I got so distracted because I knew I had seen the actress playing Mila (Joanna Sotomura) before but I just couldn't place her in any of the shows I normally watch. Turns out I couldn't because she was on "Emma Approved" a web series losely based on Jane Austen's 'Emma'. And despite living in the shadow of 'Clueless' it was great - it's still on youtube for any Jane Austen lovers who haven't checked it out yet.

I enjoyed Jerry's plot and hope we get so see Mila again. It's a bit of mystery to me how the writers managed to fuse conspiracy theorist Jerry into the team (copious amounts of handwaving notwithstanding) yet have so much trouble doing the same for Yakuza legacy Adam. You'd think that would be the easier job.

Tani's brother had just completed rehab (she was there to take him home) and the rehab place offers him a job?!!! How about seeing if he can be sober 30 seconds "in the real world" before offering him a job as a counselor!!!

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Roselle said:

Thought there were some really good performances in this - I'm not usually a fan of the Jerry character at all but Jorge Garcia played it very well with the mix of humour and empathy. I especially liked the chess game - and the guy playing the patient Harris, with all his tics, was excellent I thought. The orderly Mila was lovely and their connection during the investigation and at the end was sweet and credible.

Tani and Grover together in the 'blue room of interrogation' are always enjoyable. In fact, Meaghan Rath is quite a revelation - she has played her storyline with her brother beautifully. She is a very talented. 

The appearance of AOL's son was just plain annoying/awful (although, what a gorgeous looking boy!). It's all very well to do a favour for your star but that was not subtle!  I hate that kind of stuff. 

OK it's splitting hairs, but Spike is actually Alex's stepson. Alex's wife, Malia, is his mother, & her ex-husband, Australian Professional Surfer Luke Stedman, is Spike's father. Alex's (biological) sons are Saxon (who is/is bordering on being an adult here in the US, if not also in his [& Alex's] native Australia), & Lion, who's about 2-3 years younger than Spike, is Alex's son with his wife, Malia (though they married about 18 months after Lion was born).

I would like to see Jerry go undercover more often.  He did very well.  Although, why do people who are sneaking around to get evidence always turn their back to the door when they are rifling through files, drawers, etc.?  You know you're going to get caught (and he had earbuds in, so he probably wouldn't have heard someone walking up to the door anyway).

I'm fasting today for a medical procedure tomorrow, and all I can think about is a big fat chicken salad sandwich on soft white bread.  With maybe some chips.  And a cookie.  

• Love 4

The show is much better with Grover mentoring the Tani and Junior with some Jerry and Steve/Danny are the B plot if at all. 

What I did like about Jerry is that he was able to uncover clues by talking to people and making a connection. Sure, being undercover is inherently is a con, but he's not beating people for information or trampling on civil rights. 

Of course, Tani and Grover then arrest the lawyer and threaten him. 

I just would love one time, ONCE, when they say "we'll just get a warrant" to have them say "ok, go ahead."

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Although, why do people who are sneaking around to get evidence always turn their back to the door when they are rifling through files, drawers, etc.? 

I would have to give Jerry a pass on this one because he's not a trained investigator (though ha on watching the video to pick the lock). I actually felt bad for Jerry when the orderly pulled the gun on him. 

Good for Jerry though - I always hate when the bad guys say "Just drive!" I would have done the same thing. 

Which of course begs the question as to whether Five 0 requires any training of any sort for the team members. 

Edited by ganesh
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I would have to give Jerry a pass on this one because he's not a trained investigator (though ha on watching the video to pick the lock). I actually felt bad for Jerry when the orderly pulled the gun on him. 

Good for Jerry though - I always hate when the bad guys say "Just drive!" I would have done the same thing. 

Which of course begs the question as to whether Five 0 requires any training of any sort for the team members. 

5-0 requires whatever McGarrett thinks about an applicant at any time  Lani did not finish the police academy when brought on but Junior was forced to go.  Catherine was a Naval Intelligence officer. Jerry a conspiracy theorist., Grover a HPD Captain forced to retire in lieu of disciplinary action.   Chin Ho was a HPD Sergeant also under suspicion and left the force without a pension. That leaves Officer Kono Kalakaua who had not finished the police academy training, Detective Danny Williams  and Homeland Security Agent Lori Weston as the only ones in good standing as a sworn law enforcement officer when hired by McGarrett.

Don't forget the San Francisco Treat! Not that she was Five 0. I just don't want to forget her.

Steve isn't even legit law enforcement. I don't necessarily think that Five 0 should only be law enforcement. To be fair to Jerry, he did hack a drone and land it on the road. So he's not just a conspiracy theorist. 

There's no way Jerry had any training to go undercover. 

I'd love a crossover with Leverage because they would wipe the floor with Five 0. 

• Love 1

I am surprised NCIS Los Angeles hasn't returned for another crossover, since the Navy SEAL reunion was ruined by the rehabilitation needs of Alex O'Louglin resulting from a real life injury 

Really think that Jerry used his brain and a little bit of brawn. And how he pulled a Steve while going undercover.

But it was pretty action packed and give it a 8/10.

Loved that this was a Duke episode. And got to know him as he is a favorite of mine.

I think Tani's brother I mean after a couple of months or a month in rehab. Maybe learned his lesson and wanted to train with others so it is more like a training intern IMHO. To make sure people do not go through this like he does.

Steve and Danny got together as it has been absent for all of season 9 with Scott C's wanting to be home to LA since 2013.

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

The show is much better with Grover mentoring the Tani and Junior with some Jerry and Steve/Danny are the B plot if at all. 

What I did like about Jerry is that he was able to uncover clues by talking to people and making a connection. Sure, being undercover is inherently is a con, but he's not beating people for information or trampling on civil rights. 

Of course, Tani and Grover then arrest the lawyer and threaten him. 

I just would love one time, ONCE, when they say "we'll just get a warrant" to have them say "ok, go ahead."

Back when Ellie Clayton (I think that's right)--the Aussie prosecuting attorney who met Steve while they were visiting Steve's dad's grave at the same time, & who knew John McGarrett before his death because he was trying to solve the murder of Ellie's father, which happened in what appeared to be a "normal" robbery (& of course wasn't) at the bar he owned while Ellie was in, like, somewhere between Jr High/Middle School & some point in High School--was a recurring character on the show, I remember Ellie was trying to help get a warrant (subpoena?) for someone, because Steve had asked her to (but I don't remember who the warrant [subpoena?] was for, or why it was needed). In the end, she couldn't get the warrant (subpoena?) because, as I remember, there wasn't enough probable cause to grant it.

So it's not like they haven't actually tried to get warrants (subpoenas?) when necessary. To me, it's kinda more like the show prefers not to actually show (get bogged down in?) the "minutiae", the "boring part" of that, or other necessary paperwork, & just focus on the case, planting (if you will) the idea that yes, they did follow proper procedure even though we didn't see it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Don't forget the San Francisco Treat! Not that she was Five 0. I just don't want to forget her.

Steve isn't even legit law enforcement. I don't necessarily think that Five 0 should only be law enforcement. To be fair to Jerry, he did hack a drone and land it on the road. So he's not just a conspiracy theorist. 

There's no way Jerry had any training to go undercover. 

I'd love a crossover with Leverage because they would wipe the floor with Five 0. 

Unfortunately that can't happen, right now, unless they decide to reboot Leverage, or somebody writes a fanfic with that crossover & plot. Leverage ran from December 8, 2004 to Christmas Day (December 25th), 2012, when the series finale aired.

I have absolutely no memory of the preview when Tani's brother OD'd on Adam's construction site (?). Pretty sure I didn't miss any episodes this year but maybe I did! Was that on a non 5-0 crossover show? I seem to recall missing one of those.

Good episode. Doesn't the name Hector have some Lost significance? And we got some Caan, but yet again he did not go to the shootout/location site.

8 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I have absolutely no memory of the preview when Tani's brother OD'd on Adam's construction site (?). Pretty sure I didn't miss any episodes this year but maybe I did! Was that on a non 5-0 crossover show? I seem to recall missing one of those.

Good episode. Doesn't the name Hector have some Lost significance? And we got some Caan, but yet again he did not go to the shootout/location site.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

It happened way way back. 

It also wasn't Adam's construction site, per se. I think it was being run by 1 or more guys who Adam worked, & became friends with, when being a construction worker was the best job he could find, considering he was a parolee from Hālawa; although he got out early because he did everything he could to help Five-0 track down the seriously dangerous cons who escaped, & got stuck taking Adam with, when a fire, or chemical spill, or something was made to happen (I think it was by a big bad on the outside at the time) & all the bad guys, plus Adam, had to be relocated to another facility because of the damage.

As I remember also, Adam's original construction boss was busted, & Adam was fired when he found what turned out to be human remains while he was digging up the current construction site. Adam had Jerry examine the piece of bone he found, which led to Adam confronting his site boss/the head of construction, who told Adam to leave it alone, before he gave the bone to Jerry; & then he fired Adam when Kono had the construction site shutdown, & arrested at least the guy who was Adam's boss for a whole bunch of things, including desecrating a heiau, as I remember--anyway, the construction site was on land it shouldn't have been, for a lot of reasons, & the boss/foreman didn't care, & at least some of the things he didn't care about were illegal.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, ganesh said:

Like anyone involved with Five 0 faces any consequences. Duke will be fine. 

Grover got fired.  Though I’m hoping w/Duke’s longevity and all around awesomeness, he doesn’t face any consequences.  Funny how only Danny is still a police officer in good standing.

On May 3, 2018 at 4:41 AM, BW Manilowe said:

which led to Adam confronting his site boss/the head of construction, who told Adam to leave it alone, before he gave the bone to Jerry; & then he fired Adam when Kono had the construction site shutdown, & arrested at least the guy who was Adam's boss

Yes, THAT episode I remember, but it was from last year since Kono was in it. So there was another one this year that was a return to the construction site that involved Tani's brother? Man, my memory is getting shaky! (Probably too many TV shows!)

On 5/4/2018 at 7:43 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Yes, THAT episode I remember, but it was from last year since Kono was in it. So there was another one this year that was a return to the construction site that involved Tani's brother? Man, my memory is getting shaky! (Probably too many TV shows!)

earlier this year:

You may have glossed over it what with the riveting tools-from-the-restaurant-are-stolen storyline.