Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E19: The Tenant Disassociation

On 4/9/2018 at 8:53 AM, Gummo said:

While we're asking these kinds of questions, when will the men on this show start dressing like grownups? 

To be fair, the women rarely dress like grown-ups either.  Penny, maybe, sometimes....  Bernadette in maternity and post-partum wear...but other than that...

Although I've been a tenant my entire adult life and am now old enough to collect Social Security, I've never had a tenants' association—probably because it's been mostly houses and duplexes. So how does this work? I mean, what is the relationship between the tenant organization and the landlord or the property management company? Couldn't the tenants get the elevator fixed without knowing what happened to it? Of course, Sheldon could never keep that secret.

3 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Well Amy dresses very maturely!  Not like any grown up I know but very maturely.  Has she ever worn jeans?

I don’t recall Amy ever wearing pants at all-just dresses. And Bernadette seems to always wear dresses with tights. This last season with Melissa’s pregnancy and post pregnancy is the only time I recall Bernadette wearing pants.

3 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Well Amy dresses very maturely!  Not like any grown up I know but very maturely. 

Amy dresses the way I would expect Nuns to dress if their convent doesn't wear habits.  I think the show is trying to make out that she dresses like an old lady but most old ladies I know don't wear blouses and jumpers.  Cardigans yes, maybe skirts.  But mostly depending on how old the old lady is they're wearing pastel polyester pant suits or they're wearing jeans and sweatshirts.  There must be a few out there still wearing the kinds of housedresses my grandmother wore but even so she wasn't wearing clothes like Amy does.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Well Amy dresses very maturely!  Not like any grown up I know but very maturely.  Has she ever worn jeans?

Amy doesn't wear pants because Mayim Bialik doesn't wear pants (for religious reasons).

• Love 2

Exactly.  They dress Amy as "Forever 65" (or whatever age it was that Penny said) but in reality she doesn't dress like any woman in her 60s that I've ever met.  I know I read somewhere that the layers are deliberate to add bulk - Amy isn't supposed to have a nice figure I guess.

• Love 2

Amy's clothes are getting worse.  The character could stand to be a little less frumpy.  I read once that her appearance is planned between Mayim and a stylist on the show.  IMO they have gone too far.  Maybe I'm tired of her appearance but somehow it fit earlier in the series. There was still something appealing about her character in the past. Now she looks like she just doesn't care and I don't enjoy her scenes as much.

For me it's that given how anxious Amy has been to be friends with Penny it surprises me that she hasn't updated her wardrobe at least a little bit after such a long association with her.  I don't mean she needs to dress like Penny but surely now that she has friends and a social life she is aware that it's possible to dress to your own comfort level without looking like you are the stereotypical school marm or librarian (and again I don't know any teachers or librarians who actually dress like that!)

I didn't even think they would have a tenant's association if they are just renting the apartment.  I thought that these kinds of associations were with condos or houses.  I never heard of a tenant's association for renters.

Housing is expensive in Los Angeles.  My sister has a small studio apartment in Westwood that costs $1,600.  She is only in the apartment because its close to her work. 

There really hasn't been a style evolution for most of the characters.  The only one that has one is Penny and maybe Bernadette this year.  They all dress cutesy.  They can dress how they like because they work at a university or research. 

And they all live in Southern California.  Why don't some of these characters wear blue jeans.  That's what many people their age wear in Southern California.  And why all the layers.  They live in a mild climate.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, Gummo said:

While we're asking these kinds of questions, when will the men on this show start dressing like grownups? 

My husband is a software engineer and has lived in jeans or shorts mostly and graphic tees for 40 years in almost all westher (Nebraska and Colorado).

Now that he works from home, it's gym shorts and tees all day, every day. 40 years ago, my dad joked that he would wear shorts and tees to our wedding. He didn't,  although the tux was delivered late cuz of transport issues, so almost.  IMHO, guys who are nerdy or super-focused on sciencey things or computers tend to not care abt clothes.  

And yes,  we went to several sci fi conventions back in the day.  Even went with our son when he was about 7 or 8, cuz we had talked abt trekkies at dinner and son didn't know what they were (these were the years before vcrs and thousand channel cable)   We were amiss as parents. Son turned out normal, though. 

The BBT guys have their styles and they're sticking to it. 

Edited by Tosia
Oh, his comic collection is in the sttic.
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Sunshinegal said:

And why all the layers.  They live in a mild climate.

Common misconception -- while Los Angeles doesn't get extreme snow or hurricanes, it is not sunny every day of the year. Between November and April it's generally quite cold, and we have gloomy days often even in the summer. The day before yesterday we had cold winds so strong I nearly got lifted off the street. But more pertinent to the subject -- many, many places, especially schools tend to over crank the A/C. When I was in elementary school it was standard that everyone had a cardigan with them because the classrooms were kept so cold. I was on a bus the other day that was running the air at full blast because the forecast was about 80f. But at the time it was actually closer to 70f and I nearly froze. Especially at this time of year within a week we can go from -- in one day -- cold to balmy to scorching hot and back to cold again. Layering is the best way to live. Leonard always strikes me as the one dressed most sensibly for someone who spends a lot of time in artificially cooled places.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

Common misconception -- while Los Angeles doesn't get extreme snow or hurricanes, it is not sunny every day of the year. Between November and April it's generally quite cold, and we have gloomy days often even in the summer. The day before yesterday we had cold winds so strong I nearly got lifted off the street. But more pertinent to the subject -- many, many places, especially schools tend to over crank the A/C. When I was in elementary school it was standard that everyone had a cardigan with them because the classrooms were kept so cold. I was on a bus the other day that was running the air at full blast because the forecast was about 80f. But at the time it was actually closer to 70f and I nearly froze. Especially at this time of year within a week we can go from -- in one day -- cold to balmy to scorching hot and back to cold again. Layering is the best way to live. Leonard always strikes me as the one dressed most sensibly for someone who spends a lot of time in artificially cooled places.

I would agree with you except the characters dress the same at cal tech, Sheldon apartment and at Howards house.  And they can control the temperature at the apartment and the house.  

I live in southern California and it can get cold and it's not always sunny. I agree that is a common misconception.  But the weather is still more mild than in Chicago or the east.  And Leonard is dressing like he's in Chicago not los angeles.   And I always bring a sweater or jacket when I go to the movies because it can be over air conditioned.  One layer extra.  I think that they have too many layers in relation to the other characters they interact with in the school.  And I don't see people wearing as many layers as Leonard even in over air conditioned buildings in December.  And I lived in southern California all my life and even when I go to school I packed an extra sweater but most people I saw didn't wear as much as leonard.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sunshinegal said:

I would agree with you except the characters dress the same at cal tech, Sheldon apartment and at Howards house.  And they can control the temperature at the apartment and the house.  

I live in southern California and it can get cold and it's not always sunny. I agree that is a common misconception.  But the weather is still more mild than in Chicago or the east.  And Leonard is dressing like he's in Chicago not los angeles.   And I always bring a sweater or jacket when I go to the movies because it can be over air conditioned.  One layer extra.  I think that they have too many layers in relation to the other characters they interact with in the school.  And I don't see people wearing as many layers as Leonard even in over air conditioned buildings in December.  And I lived in southern California all my life and even when I go to school I packed an extra sweater but most people I saw didn't wear as much as leonard.

People have different temperature tolerances.  Maybe Leonard runs cold, like me.   In the office where I used to work, half the staff wore short sleeve or sleeveless shirts and were always sweating and complaining it was too hot, while I was bundled up in layers, including a heavy sweater, sitting in front of a space heater shivering.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2018 at 8:38 PM, Sunshinegal said:

I didn't even think they would have a tenant's association if they are just renting the apartment.  I thought that these kinds of associations were with condos or houses.  I never heard of a tenant's association for renters.

The definition of a tenant is someone who occupies land or property owned by someone else, ie, a renter.  Therefore a renters association would be a group of people in a building or development owned by a landlord, and they're not unusual in apartment buildings.

• Love 3