Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E19: The Tenant Disassociation

When Leonard learns Sheldon is the president of the tenants association, he decides to run against him. Also, Bernadette encourages Wolowitz and Koothrappali to find the owner of a drone after they find it in the backyard.

(edited)

Poor Raj, he came so close to (maybe) finding a new girlfriend. I would feel sorry for him, but once again he was done in by his own "sexist jerk running off at  the mouth" personality. Will he ever learn?

That said, did it not occur to either the scientist or the engineer that perhaps they should check the video on the drone, and delete anything that could put them in an unfavorable light?

Yeah,  they are supposed to be geniuses, so why  didn't they think?...... But why start now??

Edited by MDL
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But Raj doesn't know that she saw him being a creepy obsessive stalker. And he has her number.

She could block his phone number, but he also knows where she lives. I hope he doesn't resort to stalking her at her home, but if he does see her again, I hope she tells him in no uncertain terms how creepy he is. I know Penny and Bernadette have tried before, but they were too nice to him to spare his feelings. Creeps like Raj don't understand subtle hints.

I didn't think the A-plot was very funny in and of itself, but Mayim Bialik's line delivery made it funny. Between her, Jim, Johnny, and Kaley, she looked like the only one who's still trying; the rest of them seem ready for the show to be done.

What is it with Chuck Lorre's obsession with Russia lately? Last week the vanity card was about Russian spies, today it was lyrics to a Russian folk song

• Love 3

Chuck Lorre used to be vague in referencing politics in the vanity cards (I think there was even one about him getting censored), but he is now unabashedly anti-Trump in nearly all of the cards that aren't topical to the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

She could block his phone number, but he also knows where she lives.

Sounds like Raj will be joining Sheldon in having a restraining order. Could having two close associates with restraining orders get in the way of Howard working with NASA, or Penny getting promoted to PR, or Amy or Leonard getting grants?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Could having two close associates with restraining orders get in the way of Howard working with NASA, or Penny getting promoted to PR, or Amy or Leonard getting grants?

This is only a guess but unless the restraining orders are against people in the field I doubt it. It might impact Sheldon or Raj, but I think you would have to be doing pretty high level stuff before they start investigating associates. 

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Sounds like Raj will be joining Sheldon in having a restraining order. Could having two close associates with restraining orders get in the way of Howard working with NASA, or Penny getting promoted to PR, or Amy or Leonard getting grants?

Probably not, but with some luck it could get Raj deported. ;)

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was up for a high-level security clearance in 1970, and although there was nothing in my own background, my sister was dating a radical type (I didn't even know his name) and my mother had relatives she'd never met or corresponded with in Eastern Europe (communist at the time).  I didn't get the clearance.  I never found out if it was one of those circumstances, or if one of my friends from high school or college days had done something considered objectionable.

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it would have been kinda funny if it turned out she was the one stalking him.  You know, with that drone of hers and all.  But then again, Raj has already had a crazy girlfriend before, so perhaps they didn't want to go there again.

I thought it was an OK episode.  I laughed a few times.  Though I thought that Tenant Committee thing went on far too long.  And it most likely will be forgotten about after this episode. 

And yeah, the first thing I would have done with that drone was check the data card on it.  If I found it in my yard, I would be curious if someone was spying on me or something.

• Love 4

Might be one of the weakest episodes yet. The whole Tenant Committee situation was so riddled with illegalities it needed to be thrown out before filming! At any rate, why on earth do these people put up with Sheldon's crap? (Run, Amy, Run!) Raj shoots himself in the foot once again. Poor Raj? Hell no, girlfriend dodged a bullet with that one.

This may well be my last season unless S12 is the last.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Might be one of the weakest episodes yet. The whole Tenant Committee situation was so riddled with illegalities it needed to be thrown out before filming! At any rate, why on earth do these people put up with Sheldon's crap? (Run, Amy, Run!) Raj shoots himself in the foot once again. Poor Raj? Hell no, girlfriend dodged a bullet with that one.

All of these criticisms are valid, but comedy often presents the absurd and unbelievable in a scenario that asks wouldn't it be funny if…? I think the problem here is that frequently the answer from many of the audience is a bored or annoyed shrug. Also, today's news (which comedy often reflects) is filled with so much (to me) unfathomable human behavior, that Sheldon is a pretty accurate metaphor. But again, is it funny? And never mind the news, listening to Sheldon is about the same as a telephone call from my sister. Yeah. Ugh. Why am I still watching? I don't think I chuckled even once during this episode. Maybe I hope to get a few pointers on how to do end runs around the Sheldons in my life.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, nx74defiant said:

Amy was the best part of this. Her jumping on the offer to join Sheldon in the shower meeting, coming up with the plans to oust him and her fake surprise at the plans.

This.

And explaining how she ousted him with a monologue at dinner and him not getting a clue.

• Love 7

Yeah, Amy (and Mayim) made this episode. The rest didn't really work for lots of reasons already mentioned. And I was hoping against hope we'd finally get to see Raj not self-destructing his love life. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't know why I never considered Sheldon would be exactly the type of person that would love being head of the tenants association.  Its makes perfect sense once he said it.  Total control over ever detail of where he lives. 

Amy was really funny this episode. 

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it would have been kinda funny if it turned out she was the one stalking him.  You know, with that drone of hers and all.  But then again, Raj has already had a crazy girlfriend before, so perhaps they didn't want to go there again

I thought that was more where this was going.  Not a girl spying on Raj but someone spying on their house and the hot tub and finding all sorts of odd things going on there.........besides just Raj and Howard and their, as Leonard's mom so eloquently put it, ersatz homosexual relationship. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 2

The only thing I could focus on through the whole episode was the #$%& elevator.  If Sheldon had the power as Tenant Tsar all these years, why is the elevator still broken?!?!

Because he's not the landlord.

• Love 6

I actually thought this was a pretty good episode, and I agree Amy was MVP. I can't remember the exact line but Leonard said something about waiting until it wasn't crazy time with Sheldon and she yelled "What other time is there?" I also had to laugh when Stuart said he scared that girl away trying out one of his new smiles and Howard said "I don't use the word goulish very often . . . " Even Penny got some great one-liners. And now I'm hungry for a pastrami sandwich.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Gummo said:

I know this, however the Tenant's Assoc can be vocal and raise complaints and contact city housing authorities, etc.

Yes, this is a TV show & not "real", so I will have to let this go.  My attention on minutiae needs to be suppressed.  If only I had a food truck parked outside my house...

• Love 2
15 hours ago, MDL said:

Poor Raj, he came so close to (maybe) finding a new girlfriend. I would feel sorry for him, but once again he was done in by his own "sexist jerk running off at  the mouth" personality. Will he ever learn?

That said, did it not occur to either the scientist or the engineer that perhaps they should check the video on the drone, and delete anything that could put them in an unfavorable light?

Yeah,  they are supposed to be geniuses, so why  didn't they think?...... But why start now??

At this point, I don't think we're going to see Raj get a steady companion until the last couple episodes. I think the production team doesn't want to bring on a new regular character and have to shell out for them.

Which is terrible for the show. It sticks Raj in this purgatory of character development. Seriously, the most notable thing about him this season was that hey got a haircut.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

Seriously, the most notable thing about him this season was that hey got a haircut.

He also got a new job at the planetarium.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

The only thing I could focus on through the whole episode was the #$%& elevator.  If Sheldon had the power as Tenant Tsar all these years, why is the elevator still broken?!?!

2 hours ago, Gummo said:

43 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I know this, however the Tenant's Assoc can be vocal and raise complaints and contact city housing authorities, etc.

Yes, this is a TV show & not "real", so I will have to let this go.  My attention on minutiae needs to be suppressed.  If only I had a food truck parked outside my house...

Also, because Sheldon and the boys are responsible for destroying the elevator in the first place. I doubt their damage deposit covers blowing it up.

I actually liked that they addressed the lease questions. 

I hate Raj almost as much as I hate Sheldon and Bernadette, but even I was taken aback by how disgusting he was on the drone cam video.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

This yes!!

That and Sheldon's robot tee. I went hunting for it; ThinkGeek doesn't carry it anymore.

Was there actually a Tenant's Association?  I don't think it really counts as one if one person starts it and has all the meetings in his shower.  All this is is Sheldon using the authority of calling himself the King of the Building when he wants to get things done that suit him.  

• Love 8
11 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Very true about the tenant's association but yeah, I doubt this show will ever address the elevator even if there is an association.  This from this website:

A tenant association is a union of all or most of the tenants in a building. When tenants work together, they can apply more pressure to make a landlord provide services, make repairs, and stop harassment—and get the best possible home for the rent they're paying. A strong tenant association can force a landlord to listen; as a group, the tenants can have more leverage to negotiate, file complaints with the city and state agencies that oversee housing, get help from elected officials, go to court, or—if push comes to shove—call a rent strike.

Another episode where Sheldon ruins something for the others. After the first 10 minutes or so, I fast-forwarded to the other characters' lines. I loved Amy and as mentioned above, loved Howard's "ghoulish" remark. 

• Love 3
On 4/5/2018 at 11:01 PM, chocolatine said:

Between her, Jim, Johnny, and Kaley, she looked like the only one who's still trying; the rest of them seem ready for the show to be done.

I am not the most noticing of viewers but that really stood out in this episode.  The plot might have been funnier if there was any life left in the actors.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Was there actually a Tenant's Association?  I don't think it really counts as one if one person starts it and has all the meetings in his shower.  All this is is Sheldon using the authority of calling himself the King of the Building when he wants to get things done that suit him.  

That confused me as well.  Did they ever say there was an official association?  Because obviously Leonard thinks he can run against Sheldon and get to be president of it - so it couldn't just be all in Sheldon's head. Or could it?  I can accept that Leonard and Penny didn't care enough in the past to get involved and if they noticed anything purporting to be from the TA that they would just acknowledge it and move on (like Penny not being able to use the laundry room after a certain time) and this would make sense for the other tenants as well.  Beverly once pointed out the tenants of the building must be remarkable passive not to have made fixing the elevator an issue!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

Wouldn't you think you need a quorum/certain minimum number of tenants at a meeting for it to be an official meeting? And, for that matter, wouldn't only one tenant from each unit count? 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, Ms Lark said:

The show is renewed and the stars are all under contract through Season 12.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, iMonrey said:

I actually thought this was a pretty good episode, and I agree Amy was MVP. I can't remember the exact line but Leonard said something about waiting until it wasn't crazy time with Sheldon and she yelled "What other time is there?" I also had to laugh when Stuart said he scared that girl away trying out one of his new smiles and Howard said "I don't use the word goulish very often . . . " Even Penny got some great one-liners. And now I'm hungry for a pastrami sandwich.

Yes I enjoyed this episode -OF COURSE Sheldon is the head of the Tenant's Association! Classic Sheldon.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 3:47 PM, Gothish520 said:

The show is renewed and the stars are all under contract through Season 12.

Let me rephrase: if they renew for a 13th season, this is my last. If 12 proves to be the last, I may watch some and at least the finale.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but why are they all, excluding Howard and Bernadette, still renting apartments? They are in their thirties and have been earning respectable salaries.

Because the real estate in Los Angeles is outrageous? I used to know several people who made respectable salaries out there, but it wasn’t respectable enough for them to branch out of renting. 

• Love 5

Also it's just easier to film in an apartment like setting especially with the convenience of having neighbours where you can just go back and forth across a hall.  They'd have to really stretch credibility to the limit to have all of them end up across the street from each other - or worse in the same house.

• Love 4
On 4/6/2018 at 1:28 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Also, because Sheldon and the boys are responsible for destroying the elevator in the first place. I doubt their damage deposit covers blowing it up.

Even if their secret was safe, the nature of the damage may mean that nobody would be able to live near where the explosion went off while (lengthy) repairs were made. They'd be effectively evicting themselves to push the issue.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Gummo said:

While we're asking these kinds of questions, when will the men on this show start dressing like grownups? 

How do grown ups dress anymore?  For that matter there was once a  time when grown ups didn't read comics (or if they did they didn't tell anyone about it!) and was Dungeons and Dragons and similar role playing games ever meant to be played by 40 yr olds?  Honest question here - I have no idea!  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

I have no idea. I still dress like I'm going to Lollapalooza, in 1994. I still enjoy watching Howard and Amy, and the show works well enough as background noise, which is what it has been for a while now. I agree that the actors seem to be over it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

Sheldon has taught.  But not well.  It doesn't seem to be something he is expected to do on any kind of regular basis.  Mainly when it suits the plot for a specific episode.

I remember the others reading the tweets from Sheldon's students. I specifically remember one - "KMN" - which they figured meant "Kill Me Now"

• Love 3
On 4/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, Gummo said:

While we're asking these kinds of questions, when will the men on this show start dressing like grownups? 

How do grown-ups dress?

3 hours ago, rhys said:

I came to this show late. I didn't know that some in this group broke the elevator. Does Sheldon teach?

He had to start teaching recently in order to change his research field, but Howard was the only one to sign up for the class.  And he dropped it.

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but why are they all, excluding Howard and Bernadette, still renting apartments? They are in their thirties and have been earning respectable salaries.

Plenty of adults in the real world still rent, for a variety of reasons, one of them being they don't want to own a house.

• Love 6

Also the show has always pushed the idea that the guys aren't earning much money.  Keeping them renting, especially renting in a building that was within the financial means of a waitress from the Cheesecake Factory plays along with that notion.  Howard gets to be the exception because he married someone who makes Big Money and inherited a house.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Plenty of adults in the real world still rent, for a variety of reasons, one of them being they don't want to own a house.

I understand that, totally. But I guess, for me, these guys are pretty practical. So owning, as an investment, seems more practical than renting. A condo would be easier than a house.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I understand that, totally. But I guess, for me, these guys are pretty practical. So owning, as an investment, seems more practical than renting. A condo would be easier than a house.  

Well you are talking about people who never cook their own meals.

• Love 9