Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Fight or Flight

• Start Topic

Oooh boy. The tension  on the Roci  was hard to watch. I mean, I get it, but it was hard to stomach. Alexs' message to his family  was very sweet, I do hope  he manages to meet up with them again one day. 

Drummer working out despite having been shot not too long ago, swoon! Errinwright  can go die in a fire anytime now. I hope Chrisjen  lights his ass up.

Plant Doc is sweet as usual. Prax just exudes  this aura of calmness around him. I did love how he was the one to rename the ship.

But MVP  goes to Bobbie imo. That combo  crawl/sprint to find a way to open the door was awesome. I also loved the callback  to the Razorback   (and we saw a quick  video of Julie) they weren't  playing  when they said it was fast.

Cannot wait  until  next  week.

• Love 5

So, this is actually the first episode of this show that I've ever seen. Its been on my list of shows I wanted to catch up on for awhile, I normally watch SyFy this time of night anyway (God, I already miss The Magicians so much) and I happened upon one of those "catch up on this show now" articles that kind of summarized the plot today on Facebook, so I decided that the universe was telling me to watch tonight. 

So, I dont totally know whats all going on, beyond what I read in that article, and right now I am just trying to connect characters names to faces, but I like what I've seen so far. The space stuff looks awesome, the actors seem good, and I am interested enough in the characters and plot to try and play catch up, even though I dont totally know whats going on. Like, why are the people on the ship stuck on their ship, and why are things awkward? Who are the people trying to kill the lady with Asher from Spartacus and why do they want to kill her? I think theres an evil corporation (because what science fiction without one of those?), but I`m not sure what their deal is, or who all they keep talking about. I kind of get the gist, but I am definitely going to spend some of this weekend playing catch up with a big old binge watch. 

Also, the guy who broke the coffee machine was pretty hot, but seems to be going through some stuff. 

• Love 12

Chrisjen not hesitating to shoot you in the face; Naomi putting up with her piss-baby crew-mates; Bobbie climbing out on the hull of a moving ship because shit needed to get done; and my homie, Drummer, who cannot with all the stupid surrounding her right now.

All the royalty in tonight's episode gives me life!

2 hours ago, nekilarose said:

Oooh boy. The tension  on the Roci  was hard to watch. I mean, I get it, but it was hard to stomach.

Having near-omnipresent awareness of how little Earth and Mars regard Belter lives makes it hard for me to sympathize with the Roci men. I get they're pissed Naomi unilaterally went against crew consensus, but I don't think they realize just how fucked Belters would be once Earth and Mars gained "control" of the protomolecule. One of Naomi's character flaws is she can be a high-handed, know-it-all, but she was absolutely right to keep the protomolecule in her back pocket.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nekilarose said:

Plant Doc is sweet as usual. Prax just exudes  this aura of calmness around him.

"Maybe you should try tea,"

That racing ship looks cool, and it does look like something a super-rich person would own. 6 Gs would be brutal on a human body.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

so I decided that the universe was telling me to watch tonight. 

Welcome aboard! You are in for quite a ride.

I hope the Pinus Contorty has another coffee machine.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

1. why are the people on the ship stuck on their ship, and why are things awkward?

2. Who are the people trying to kill the lady with Asher from Spartacus and why do they want to kill her?

3. I think theres an evil corporation (because what science fiction without one of those?), but I`m not sure what their deal is, or who all they keep talking about. I kind of get the gist, but I am definitely going to spend some of this weekend playing catch up with a big old binge watch. 

4. Also, the guy who broke the coffee machine was pretty hot, but seems to be going through some stuff. 

I'll take a shot at answering a couple of your questions, but if you binge watch, you'll do better than me (who hasn't watched an episode since Season 2 ended :-)

1.  Did the article explain how the crew of The Rocinante came to be?  They were all employees on a ship called the Canterbury that was destroyed by a mysterious ship.  That's when all hell broke loose, and one thing after another has happened to them.  For the most part, they've bonded over everything.  But at the end of last season, it was revealed that Naomi had acted on her own, and the three guys - Holden (who broke the coffee machine), Alex (the Martian with a Texas accent) and Amos (who's known Naomi the longest and has always had her back) all feel very betrayed.  Prax is not part of the crew.  He was working with them and is currently on their ship, but he is not part of the crew.  He's the one who gave the ship its new name - "Contorta."

So, that's why it awkward - because Naomi acted, and the other 3 feel betrayed.

Why are they stuck?  Many of the things that have happened have been in the news.  Their faces are familiar, and their actions would be interpreted by many as being illegal, if not terrorist in nature, by every government.  If they were to dock anywhere, they would likely be arrested.  Naomi gave the proto-molecule to Fred Johnson, who's the big boss at Tycho.  If they go there, he will protect them.

2&3 are pretty much the same question.  Chrisjen Avasarala is her name.  I don't remember her title, but she's very high up in the UN (Earth) government.  She had agreed to meet Jules-Pierre Mao on his ship (that's where she is).  He's the one who owns the private company.  Sadavir Errinwright was (betraying Earth and) working with him. Errinwright is the guy in the UN meetings who was pushing for war.  The story he told his supervisor about how Avasarala had betrayed them was really his own story.  He's the one behind the people trying to kill her.

4. That's Holden.  I forgot to mention that he and Naomi were an item.  So the betrayal he feels just might be a little deeper than the one Alex and Amos feel.

4 hours ago, steelyis said:

Having near-omnipresent awareness of how little Earth and Mars regard Belter lives makes it hard for me to sympathize with the Roci men. I get they're pissed Naomi unilaterally went against crew consensus, but I don't think they realize just how fucked Belters would be once Earth and Mars gained "control" of the protomolecule. One of Naomi's character flaws is she can be a high-handed, know-it-all, but she was absolutely right to keep the protomolecule in her back pocket.

And I don't think they realize that she bought them safe harbor at Tycho by doing that.  If she hadn't done that, they might still be safe at Tycho, but there was nothing anyone could do to make it safe for them to go anywhere else.

• Love 4

I watched the last episode of Season 2 last week, thinking I might need to watch both seasons, but I got a pretty good grip on it after that. (because I'd already seen everything and my memories were triggered.)

Barely noticed I was exercising while watching (I watch most shows while exercising). I was completely wrapped up in the show.

Loved that the protomolecule events happened at the same time, very intriguing and I'm not sure what that bodes for weaponized protomolecule. If two sides use the weapon - will the weapons work against their "own" kind? 

I'm glad they're going to Io- and maybe they can even rescue Mei before it's too late. I'd love Prax to be a permanent part of the crew - I agree he's a calming influence, and he's also had the key to several of their problems. Apparently, botany rocks. Or maybe the protomolecule is more like a plant than an animal.

I've gone from really disliking Bobby in the beginning, to loving her. Have always loved Chrisjen (and her spy) and hated Errinwright. I'm glad she got the module with the recordings. I'm sure it will be played in some awesome way.

I'm buckling up for the ride. It's gonna be a good one.

• Love 4

So, I've decided to read the books during the break. And when this episode started I realized that the story had not as far advanced as I had thought - I had been convinced several key events had already happened on the show. Brain just took the show's visuals and did run with them LOL!

Man, that was tense but understandably so. So great to have the show back. Mild book spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I was surprised that they decided to show that bit of blue goo residue given its importance for later events. They did it in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment - just long enough to get registered and make those who noticed nervous. Very clever.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

So, I've decided to read the books during the break. And when this episode started I realized that the story had not as far advanced as I had thought - I had been convinced several key events had already happened on the show. Brain just took the show's visuals and did run with them LOL!

Man, that was tense but understandably so. So great to have the show back. Mild book spoilers ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

I was surprised that they decided to show that bit of blue goo residue given its importance for later events. They did it in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment - just long enough to get registered and make those who noticed nervous. Very clever.

I read the first book after the first season, and realized it went beyond the first season. So they're on my wait list for now. But the visuals from the show do really enhanced the books, and in I had a vice versa situation when it came to the station where the protomolecule had run rampant. My mind filled in the visuals from the book and I could have sworn I'd seen them in the episode (some way creepier stuff, imo). I had to rewatch the episode to verify that the things I "saw" weren't actually in the show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I'll take a shot at answering a couple of your questions, but if you binge watch, you'll do better than me (who hasn't watched an episode since Season 2 ended :-)

Thanks! That gives me some solid context! I am really excited to watch the rest of the show now!

• Love 3

Just finished watching the show and am so happy this is back. When it ended, I was, like, whaaat? it can't be over yet. (I'm the same way with Agents of Shield.)

5 hours ago, marinw said:

Right? I was yelling at Holden that he couldn't pop in to Target and buy a new one. I really hate it when people break things up in anger and frustration.

I'm not sure, but did Chrisjen give the recording to the spy guy?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Hide contents

I read the first two books, and that's all.  So I've also read a little bit ahead of the show.  I don't remember this part from the books.  Did it happen (and I just don't remember), or is it in a later book?

51 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I read the first two books, and that's all.  So I've also read a little bit ahead of the show.  I don't remember this part from the books.  Did it happen (and I just don't remember), or is it in a later book?

Answered by PM.

So there's some protomolecule underneath the floor of the Rocinante? I get that it came from the creature digging about under there but did it grow from it's blood? Does it have blood or does protomolecule work like blood in it's body?

Edited by snowwhyte
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont totally know whats all going on, beyond what I read in that article, and right now I am just trying to connect characters names to faces, but I like what I've seen so far.

Hi, @tennisgurl and welcome from other forums.  I think @Ziggy gave a good run-down on the basics.  I'd add the Mao's eeeeeeeevil corporation kidnapped Prax's daughter Mei (he's the botanist) along with several other children for really eeeeeeeeeevil purposes (spoiling because it's damn eeeeeeeevil, but we do know it):

Spoiler

Dr Strickland, working for Mao's corporation, plans to turn the children into proto-molecule soldiers, like the one blasted off the Roci.  They're going to Io to find him.

12 hours ago, steelyis said:

Having near-omnipresent awareness of how little Earth and Mars regard Belter lives makes it hard for me to sympathize with the Roci men.

I could see their point of view.  They're the ones who were nearly killed by the proto-molecule soldier, as well as seeing the "vomit monsters: created by the protomolecule itself (as seen with Julie Mao), so anything that makes more of them is like having a nuke in your living room.

8 hours ago, Ziggy said:

That's Holden.  I forgot to mention that he and Naomi were an item.  So the betrayal he feels just might be a little deeper than the one Alex and Amos feel.

Amos' childhood was such that he never developed much of a conscience.  He looks to Naomi for moral guidance, since he knows his own sense is lacking, and he sees that hers is strong.  So when she does something "wrong", it causes a disconnect in his head.  (He's not a sociopath, or if he is, he's a high-level one, since he knows not to trust his own judgement if Naomi is around)

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

There's a separate thread for book talk.  If you and @MissLucas take this there, I'd appreciate since I don't remember either.

• Love 2

I fell off watching last season after the half-way point (just busy) so finally caught up and watched the S2 finale on Monday, so I was all ready to go and I'm glad this show is back! This was a great episode, with some good tension with Chrisjen and company having to escape Mao's ship. Bobbie was so bad-ass as well; loved it! I'm glad Prax is on the Roci as a mediating influence, because yikes, everything about that situation is so freaking awkward right now. Naomi shouldn't have gone behind their backs, but she also kind of saved their asses... what a mess that is! I hope they can all reconcile sooner rather than later.

I love to hate Errinwright and boy, did he really earn it this episode. Can't wait until that slimy bastard gets what he's due. I'm glad Chrisjen is smart enough, even in the face of death, to gather the evidence she needs to make sure she has the last word. End him, Chrisjen!

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Hi, @tennisgurl and welcome from other forums.  I think @Ziggy gave a good run-down on the basics.  I'd add the Mao's eeeeeeeevil corporation kidnapped Prax's daughter Mei (he's the botanist) along with several other children for really eeeeeeeeeevil purposes (spoiling because it's damn eeeeeeeevil, but we do know it):

Hi @jhlipton glad to be here! Its nice seeing some familiar names here! That helps, thanks :) 

• Love 4

Like all of you, I am so happy the show is back. So many great moments.

• Fred and Drummer facing off and making up
  • The tension on the Roci
  • Bobbi and Chrisjen
  • Errenwright becomes even a bigger snake. . . 

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 3

Nooooooo!  Not the coffee machine!

I am sooooo glad the show is back in all its glory.  The Roci  Contorta crew, Bobbie, Chrisjen Avasarala, and most importantly, Avasarala's fabulous wardrobe -- how I've missed you!  Man, the production values are superb.  Movie quality. 

For newbies:

Spoiler

We are still in book 2.

I cannot wait for this season!

• Love 1

I love Bobbie but I did laugh she got zapped in her suit and fell over like a big old tree.  Another LOL moment was Cotyar saying "I'll take that" and taking the gun after Avasarala shoots Bobbie many times.    I liked scared tech guy and hope he makes it, along with Cotyar. 

1 hour ago, catray said:

Naomi shouldn't have gone behind their backs, but she also kind of saved their asses... what a mess that is! I hope they can all reconcile sooner rather than later.

I like how it's messy - I can understand why she did what she did and even agree with her, but I can also understand the Roci guys feeling betrayed - as Alex said, they all made one decision together and then she made another on her own.   She didn't do it for her own betterment though, she did it because she thought it was the right thing to do. 

Holden's plan to go looking for Mei is also the right thing to do and bonus will probably bring them all together. Yay for a common enemy! Steven Strait isn't the strongest actor here but he sold his conviction and determination there.

Fred and Drummond are really interesting together.  Can't wait to see how they'll fit into everything.

• Love 2

@ First-timers:  You really owe it to yourself to go back and binge-watch the first two seasons.  This has become one of my favorite shows ever!

In the US, the first two seasons are available for free on Amazon Prime video.  I think everywhere else it's on Netflix.  Depending on your cable/satt provider, you can probably stream these off the Sci-fi Channel website with something like a TVAnywhere account. 

This show needs all the pimping viewers it can get so it doesn't get canceled anytime soon.  We got a lot of books to go yet.  That the Sci-fi Channel* aired a lot of commercials for its own series last night during The Expanse gives me some more hope, as it indicates they view this as a cornerstone/flagship/springboard kind of series. 

*That the folks who run this channel stupidly changed it to some moronic name doesn't mean I have to use it.  What's next, the Chicago Kubzz?  :rolleyes

Edited by JZL
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Bobbi and Chrisjen

They make an amazing team!

1 hour ago, JZL said:

@ First-timers:  You really owe it to yourself to go back and binge-watch the first two seasons. 

It's best to give the show "eyeballs", but you can also read the first 1.5 books (we're starting about halfway through the second book).  The first two seasons, I read the novels in sync with the show, but after Season 2, I got impatient and finished Caiban's War.  The show follows the books fairly closely, but there's a lot more detail in the books. 

• Love 1

Yay, The Expanse is back!  The wait has been too long!

Well, there was one major death, I thought.  Of course, I'm referring to the Rocinante's coffee machine.  That was brutal!  Holden is totally going to regret that decision in the future.

Overall, pretty good return.  I liked seeing everyone again and how almost all the main characters still have a role to play.  Even the ones that weren't on screen like Mao and Anderson get mentions, and will hopefully factor in later on.  Still, from a pure entertainment status, nothing can be the Bobbie/Chrisjen/Cotyar trio.  Those three were cracking me up, and all of them are just so well-cast.  It's still refreshing seeing Nick E. Tarabay play a character on the good side of things and Frankie Adams really is coming into her own as Bobbie.  Still, it is Shohreh Aghdashloo that continues to be my fav.  This really is a case of where I really don't think anyone else could play Chrisjen as well as she does.  A little bummed that Bobbie/Chrisjen are off doing their own thing, while Cotyar is staying behind, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

It's sad that the Rocinante family is currently at a bad spot, but I guess it is understandable.  I can understand why the guys are upset, even though I do think Naomi didn't mean to hurt them and truly believes in her reasons for giving the protomolecule to Fred.  Hopefully they can move past it.  Alex's message/montage was a nice moment.  Also liking how the addition of Prax is shaking things up.

Damn you, Sadavir!  He's totally setting up Chrisjen and making it look like she's the traitor instead!  He's such a slimy bastard, but damn, if Shawn Doyle isn't bringing it.

Glad that it looks like Drummer is going to play a bigger role going forward.  Cara Gee is really selling the character's toughness and "won't take any shit" attitude.

Only complaint is not enough of Amos being Amos.  But I'm sure that will be rectified soon.

Definitely curious to see where this season goes.  

Spoiler

Even having read all the books now, I'm still curious to see who David Strathairn is playing.  Couldn't figure it out from the brief clip they show.  I'm guessing Elizabeth Mitchell is playing Anna.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Definitely curious to see where this season goes.  

Hide contents

Even having read all the books now, I'm still curious to see who David Strathairn is playing.  Couldn't figure it out from the brief clip they show.  I'm guessing Elizabeth Mitchell is playing Anna.

Taking this to the casting thread.

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Well, there was one major death, I thought.  Of course, I'm referring to the Rocinante's coffee machine.  That was brutal!  Holden is totally going to regret that decision in the future.

Agreed. Remember when they first met? It was love at first sight.

• Love 7

I wasn't too concerned about the coffee machine but i was a bit worried about all that water that was flying out. Considering all the effort that goes into collecting water out in the belt that seems very wasteful.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I wasn't too concerned about the coffee machine but i was a bit worried about all that water that was flying out. Considering all the effort that goes into collecting water out in the belt that seems very wasteful.

Me too. We are practical people, aren't we?

• Love 1
On 2018-04-12 at 5:17 AM, marinw said:

I actually hope Naomi fixes it somehow as an apology to Holden. Regardless of how right she thinks it was she owes him one and Amos and Alex. 

Cotyar and Avarasala were so wonderful together I hope he sticks around. 

He might actually make a good love interest for Bobby there was some great chemistry there. 

• Love 3

I finally got around to watching the premier, and it was a great reintroduction to the show. A lot of emotional and narrative heavy lifting, to set the scene for season 3. The opening scene, showing the three powers reacting to what's happening on Venus was very cool.

The tension on the Roci, the way Naomi was walking on eggshells and everyone was seething at her... well, everyone except Alex, who continues to be the peacemaker. And Holden was so mad that he broke his coffee machine! And now all three are ignoring her, in silent punishment. Childish, but very in-character.

Loved seeing Drummer again,  being badass and (ill-advisedly) working out in a ridiculously showy fashion. But she's pissed too, at both Dawes and Fred. A lot of short tempers in this one, and I'm sure that's going to build over the course of the season. What's really cool is, she's just about the only Belter (other than Miller) who fervently does not want war, doesn't want revenge against the Inners.

Bobby is growing in confidence, and I like seeing her take charge as the only military person, including suggesting "should I just pick her up?" when Avasarala was insisting they get the communication logs before leaving Mao's ship. Plus, it was nice to see more of what her suit can do. It really does make you superhuman. And I love the grumpy, affectionate dynamic between Avasarala and Kotyar. You can see the strength underneath, even with them being so irritated by each other. Hope he survives, but even if he does, we might not see him for a while.

The Razorback looks very different than I always pictured it. The equivalent, I think, would be that it looks like a high tech hypercar, when I always pictured the spaceship equivalent of a light little sportscar. Very cool design, though, particularly the seat layout.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Very cool design, though, particularly the seat layout.

The designers on this show actually consider the physics of space travel when they design things! I hope we see more of the razorback in the next episode.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

He might actually make a good love interest for Bobby there was some great chemistry there. 

I admit that I "ship" Bobbie and Amos even though they've haven't even met yet.  That's mostly for the prospect of seeing their terrifying warrior-sociopath children, but still.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

I admit that I "ship" Bobbie and Amos eve though they've haven't even met yet.  That's mostly for the prospect of seeing their terrifying warrior-sociopath children, but still.

Never even occurred to me, but they do seem like a good match. And Bobbie has that strong moral core that Amos needs.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, raven said:

She didn't do it for her own betterment though, she did it because she thought it was the right thing to do. 

Which doesn't make a fart of difference.  They were a team; a crew, but she betrayed their trust.  I don't know why she is surprised that they aren't on board with that.

• Love 7

This was the first time I really like Holden and I thought Strait did a good job. He is not as openly angry at Naomi like the other two, but we can see that he is deeply hurt. And he has finally realized that there are things beyond his control about which he can do nothing. His picking on the mission that they can do and everyone looking at Prax and agreeing with him was a nice moment. Thought it felt a little out of character for Naomi to be the one wanting to go to Tycho instead of trying to save Mei - I guess the silence and anger got to be a bit too much for her and she just wants to get off at Tycho.

I had a few issues with Bobby's walk on the Guanshiyin, with her mag-locks holding onto the ship by her finger-tips. A bit too much - at that g, she would have not been able to do all that. And we know that Bobby is not going to die, so those scenes did not have a lot of tension for me. Did enjoy the banter between Bobby, Cotyar and Avasarala. Even enjoyed the scared tech and hope he makes it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, anamika said:

I had a few issues with Bobby's walk on the Guanshiyin, with her mag-locks holding onto the ship by her finger-tips. A bit too much - at that g, she would have not been able to do all that. And we know that Bobby is not going to die, so those scenes did not have a lot of tension for me. Did enjoy the banter between Bobby, Cotyar and Avasarala. Even enjoyed the scared tech and hope he makes it.

It's a few decades into the future.  Maybe her mag-locks and suit are better than ours.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, anamika said:

This was the first time I really like Holden and I thought Strait did a good job. He is not as openly angry at Naomi like the other two, but we can see that he is deeply hurt. And he has finally realized that there are things beyond his control about which he can do nothing. His picking on the mission that they can do and everyone looking at Prax and agreeing with him was a nice moment. Thought it felt a little out of character for Naomi to be the one wanting to go to Tycho instead of trying to save Mei - I guess the silence and anger got to be a bit too much for her and she just wants to get off at Tycho.

I like that Holden is trying not to take out his anger on Naomi. Yes, he's ignoring her advice and turning a cold shoulder to her, but he's not accusing her of anything, he's not openly angry or bitter at her actions.

There was definitely a fatalism to his attitude, where he realises the protomolecule is out, and there's nothing they can do about that. In time, he might even feel relieved that he can no longer do anything to prevent anyone from acquiring it.

There's also perhaps the feeling that, when they get back to Tycho she's going to run, as she has apparently done at other times in her life, and while he's unhappy with what she did, he doesn't want to see her go.

• Love 8
On 4/14/2018 at 12:29 PM, snowwhyte said:

I too was secretly shipping Bobbie and Amos. I look forward to them meeting.

Nice idea.  I would also have liked a Luke & Leia, long lost sister twist; Amos needs family. (I know, they're from two different planets, etc,...)

12 hours ago, johntfs said:
14 hours ago, anamika said:

It's a few decades into the future.  Maybe her mag-locks and suit are better than ours.

At least they didn't show, her using suction cups in space. I think they've come light years ahead of most sci-fi shows with their attention to physics - it 's not like  a "breeze" would blow her off the hull, she's moving at the same speed as the ship. It's the walking in space that's totally off.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2018 at 2:06 AM, tennisgurl said:

So, this is actually the first episode of this show that I've ever seen. Its been on my list of shows I wanted to catch up on for awhile, I normally watch SyFy this time of night anyway (God, I already miss The Magicians so much) and I happened upon one of those "catch up on this show now" articles that kind of summarized the plot today on Facebook, so I decided that the universe was telling me to watch tonight. 

So, I dont totally know whats all going on, beyond what I read in that article, and right now I am just trying to connect characters names to faces, but I like what I've seen so far. The space stuff looks awesome, the actors seem good, and I am interested enough in the characters and plot to try and play catch up, even though I dont totally know whats going on. Like, why are the people on the ship stuck on their ship, and why are things awkward? Who are the people trying to kill the lady with Asher from Spartacus and why do they want to kill her? I think theres an evil corporation (because what science fiction without one of those?), but I`m not sure what their deal is, or who all they keep talking about. I kind of get the gist, but I am definitely going to spend some of this weekend playing catch up with a big old binge watch. 

Also, the guy who broke the coffee machine was pretty hot, but seems to be going through some stuff. 

Yes, Jim Holden is pretty hot, and in the books and show his love for coffee is well known. As for your other questions, I would recommend catching up on the previous seasons, which were actually very good. I'm a fan of the books (still haven't finished the whole series yet though, there are a lot of books and they are still writing more). I like this show a lot and I'm glad it's back!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Nice idea.  I would also have liked a Luke & Leia, long lost sister twist; Amos needs family. (I know, they're from two different planets, etc,...)

I think Amos kinda has a family on the Roci. It was a nice touch that he wanted to go to to Eros with Alex. Also No way is Amos any part Samoan or Australian Aboriginal like Bobby is. Frankly it would make more sense for Bobby to be related to Naomi or even Holden. Maybe even Alex since they are both from Mars.

Spoiler

I know in the books Alex is actually who she ends up dating but considering that Cas Anwar is about twice the age of Bobby's actor I don't think that will quite work on screen.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:34 PM, jhlipton said:

Amos' childhood was such that he never developed much of a conscience.  He looks to Naomi for moral guidance, since he knows his own sense is lacking, and he sees that hers is strong.  So when she does something "wrong", it causes a disconnect in his head.  (He's not a sociopath, or if he is, he's a high-level one, since he knows not to trust his own judgement if Naomi is around)

I wouldn't call him a sociopath but there does seem to be some kind of anti social personality disorder there.

23 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Love the Star Wars reference!

• Love 1

So, I've been watching The Expanse first season, and while I couldn't get through as much as I would like (really busy weekend!), I am about halfway through the first season, and I really like it so far! Quick thoughts: 

Chrisjen is very scary, and has an amazing wardrobe. Its a trip to see her going to loving grandma to torturing people from one scene to the next. I would like to know more about Earth. Is it somewhat normal to have kids who have a dozen parents?

The Belters have a really interesting accent and dialect, and I like trying to follow it. Its like a weird combination of Afrikaner, British, and a bit Eastern European. Really, I like seeing all the different cultures and how they've developed. Its clear they've put a lot of effort into world building.

I love the space crew, they're my favorite part. I figured the medic wouldn't make it, as he wasn't around this season, but I was pretty shocked to see him die so suddenly. I like seeing them bond, and it makes me hope they work things out during this season. Amos and Naomi have a really sweet bond, and I want to know more about their history. The hot guy and his love of coffee is super relatable. 

The stuff with the Belter detective is probably my least favorite part. I like seeing the Belters and their culture and how hard they have it, but the mystery itself is kind of lame. But maybe it gets better? Or it goes away, as no one from his subplot was around this episode. I do like his hat collection though. 

The Martians are super committed to Sparkle Motion :)

This is going to be another one of those "hey, its that Canadian actor who I see in everything!" kind of shows, isnt it? 

Even if I didnt know it was coming, I can already smell an evil plot by some evil corporation. With all the factions freaking out trying to figure out who blew up that ship the ship crew were on originally, it seems pretty clear that something else is going on. I smell Evil Corp a mile away. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Chrisjen is very scary, and has an amazing wardrobe. Its a trip to see her going to loving grandma to torturing people from one scene to the next. I would like to know more about Earth. Is it somewhat normal to have kids who have a dozen parents?

No, it's not that normal; Holden gets teased/questioned about it frequently.

One of the reasons for his somewhat unusual parentage (in the books) were legal shenanigans: a tax-break that allowed them to own more land.

• Love 2