Type keyword(s) to search

Trailer Park Boys - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Bubbles is my favorite character on this show, and maybe any show ever. He is so hilarious, smart and sad that you can't help but love the guy. I've seen the series dozens of times, but when I go to individual episodes, it's always the Bubbles-centric ones. Particularly the episodes with Conky, Steve French, the Green Bastard, and where Ricky kidnaps Alex Lifeson when he fails to acquire Rush tickets for Bubs. I do appreciate that Ricky and Julian do seem to care for Bubbles a lot, and try to keep him out of their illegal schemes as much as possible so he doesn't end up in jail like them.

So I watched the entire season 12 yesterday as I binged it and long story short, I loved it! Season 12 is definitely the best TPB-Netflix season without a doubt (of fuckin' course, in my opinion as apparently a lot on Facebook somehow hate it from what I read on a Reddit post).

The Good:

All of the episodes were well written, directed and acted and the comedy in them was fantastic too. The new actress that replaced Lucy? I'd dare to say she's heaps better than Lucy ever was and Lucy in real life probably isn't too happy reading that fans/viewers are saying it but it's true. Lucy was trashy, shitty and funny at times but she never really hit the spot like the new Lucy 2.0 actress has and she's even so good she makes the scenes so believable!

The Mr. Lahey and Randy scenes were all great and due to John Dunsworth death (Mr. Lahey) it added another layer for people to enjoy watching him on the season as he passed away the same year. Dunsworth message on the after credits really hit the spot for me and he was 100% right.

Now, the boys were all ace on their greasiness as usual but I really liked the Ricky scenes a lot 'cause back in Seasons 10-11 he was kind of an ass doing stupid shit that wasn't even funny or interesting but rather just depressing and downright disappointing.

I ditched buying Seasons 8-11 on DVD but I think I'll be buying Season 12 because it's just that good!

The Bad:

Why the hell did they bring back Candy?! She only appeared in like an episode or two of the first season and then she was never shown on the series ever again.. until the 12th season. And what, she was gonna marry Julian? It makes no sense to bring her back much less marry a guy she hadn't seen for years and only after a few talks they decided to marry? This kinda bugged me. What also annoyed me is that Candy on the trial didn't even try to bend over a bit to go easier on Julian despite their (tiny) romance history.

Only 10 episodes per season just isn't enough which makes me wish they would increase it to at least 13~15 episodes, at the very least.

What the fuck! They ruined the Shitmobile! The Shitmobile was bound to become completely useless on the road but seeing it being turned into a "house" kinda sucked as the Shitmobile is part of the Trailer Park Boys memorable characters and that the boys were always using him (yeah, I just called Shitmobile a 'him' :P) to ride around.

Future Hopes

Since the season finale didn't wrap things up, I expect a Season 13 to be released next year but just like J-Roc and characters that have left the show, they'll surely make it work with the departure of Mr. Lahey but will Randy still be around? I think not, Randy's character worked because he was always with Lahey and they worked together but without him.. it just isn't the same. Cut him off the main series.

Originally, the 7th Season was the final of the original series whereas 8th-12th Seasons were Netflix-produced and where I'm going with this is that I hope whenever they plan on actually ending the series they'll say it ahead of time so that the fans can appreciate it all the ever more. And whenever that final season will be, it'd be great if they could bring back J-Roc and Trevor as cameos since they were such great and funny characters.

Season 12 doesn't have J-Roc but instead they replaced him with a generic druggie/gangsta-ish guy that hangs out with Tyrone but doesn't ever say anything. Unless you count mumbling.

I love the "spicy" chats Ricky has with the kids and Susan's son swearing just cracks me up. lol

On 6/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, Rock knocker said:

I hope they call it quits next year and everyone lives happily ever after, like after the first series finale "A Shit River Runs Through It".

I can't remember the source, but I heard somewhere that they wanted to keep the show going basically indefinitely, and just follow the characters on into old age.  That would be okay with me, but it's funny to think about considering their season formula is somewhat repetitive.  It's still funny though.

I've watched all 12 seasons, and the only one that I thought was subpar was season 10, I thought that was easily the weakest.  When I was watching it, I thought it signaled the beginning of the end, but they bounced back nicely the following season.

On 8/24/2014 at 1:21 PM, Mindymoo said:

Particularly the episodes with Conky, Steve French, the Green Bastard

I thought the Steve French and Green Bastard episodes were kind of weak, but I love the name "Steve French" (makes me laugh), and The Green Bastard is a great name for a wrestler.

Bubbles has the funniest moments IMO.  Two of my favorites are when he is talking about Tom Arnold "feeding the geese", and when he is baked in the courtroom and grabs the long thin microphone and says "This is Bob Barker, don't forget to spay and neuter your pets" lol. 

And there's another one where they're talking about some messed up house, maybe it was the one where Ricky ruined the bathroom, can't remember.  But Bubbles says "Mike frigging Holmes couldn't fix that".

I'm only through season 7 but the best Bubbles line for me is when he calls Randy a coagulated gravy hot dog bun bastard, because it's just so random. That and when Phil Collins burps next to him and he's all, "onion ring fragments! Get em off!"

I also like the one where the minister is selling the Bibles in the trailer park and he tries to sell one to Bubbles, and then asks him "CAN you read, my son?"  And Bubbles says "Well, that depends, can you go f--- yourself?"  Not sure what the policy on off color language is here, it's hard to discuss Trailer Park Boys without dropping a few F bombs.

Speaking of swearing, I've been going through watching all the Trailer Park Boys material on Netflix.  I've finished all 12 seasons and I'm watching the movies.  I just got done with "Swearnet:  The Movie", where the actors are playing themselves.  I have to say that this concept is not as good as Trailer Park Boys.  Bubbles is such a likable character, but in this, Mike Smith, the actor who plays him, comes off like a real jerk.  Maybe that is intentional for the movie, maybe they thought that would be funny since as I said, Bubbles is so likable, but wow.  Not a big fan of Swearnet so far.  But next up is "Swearnet Live", so maybe that will leave a more positive impression.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Speaking of swearing, I've been going through watching all the Trailer Park Boys material on Netflix.  I've finished all 12 seasons and I'm watching the movies.  I just got done with "Swearnet:  The Movie", where the actors are playing themselves.  I have to say that this concept is not as good as Trailer Park Boys.  Bubbles is such a likable character, but in this, Mike Smith, the actor who plays him, comes off like a real jerk.  Maybe that is intentional for the movie, maybe they thought that would be funny since as I said, Bubbles is so likable, but wow.  Not a big fan of Swearnet so far.  But next up is "Swearnet Live", so maybe that will leave a more positive impression.

I agree 100%. I just watched it yesterday and didn't like it at all. Not only did I not like jerky Mike and wimpy Robb, it was just way too vulgar for me.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2018 at 11:15 PM, Jordan61 said:

I agree 100%. I just watched it yesterday and didn't like it at all. Not only did I not like jerky Mike and wimpy Robb, it was just way too vulgar for me.

I watched "Swearnet Live" last night, and my original impression stands.  Even though this featured the Trailer Park Boys more than the first one.  The entire joke seems to be that they can use cuss words on the broadcasts.  That's it, there's nothing more to it.  It's disgusting and offensively pointless.  Bubbles sings Liquor and Whores live again, but we already saw that in "Live in Dublin". 

Jerky Mike is a jerk, although wimpy Robb isn't too far off from his Ricky character.  Ricky always has had a soft spot for his ladies.

That said, there were two ideas that I thought were interesting:

1)  Trippin with Leigh:  Leigh MacInnis (who played Don and Donna) travels around sampling different types of hallucinogens.  In the sample provided, Leigh's mom helps him smoke Sativa.

2)  They run old black and white news footage, and overdub the audio with an announcer who (of course) uses a lot of swear words.  While I didn't care for the execution here, I thought the idea of overdubbing old news footage to be a good one.  They showed two samples:  The Hindenburg crash and Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:37 AM, rmontro said:

I've watched all 12 seasons, and the only one that I thought was subpar was season 10, I thought that was easily the weakest.  When I was watching it, I thought it signaled the beginning of the end, but they bounced back nicely the following season.

Yeah I just binged all 12 seasons over the last month or so and season 10 was BAD. All the stunt casting, plus making Barb and Donna a couple of bullies who, along with Candy, never got the comeuppance they so richly deserved.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, Philip said:

The Good:

All of the episodes were well written, directed and acted and the comedy in them was fantastic too. The new actress that replaced Lucy? I'd dare to say she's heaps better than Lucy ever was and Lucy in real life probably isn't too happy reading that fans/viewers are saying it but it's true. Lucy was trashy, shitty and funny at times but she never really hit the spot like the new Lucy 2.0 actress has and she's even so good she makes the scenes so believable!

I disagree with this though. Lucy wasn't the greatest but I HATED the Susan character. She's a shrill, shrieky, batshit crazy bitch with no redeeming qualities.

14 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Yeah I just binged all 12 seasons over the last month or so and season 10 was BAD. All the stunt casting, plus making Barb and Donna a couple of bullies who, along with Candy, never got the comeuppance they so richly deserved.

After watching all the seasons, I moved on to watching the individual movies and specials.  I really liked the 2004 Christmas special, but some of the later live shows are hard to get through.  Didn't care for either of the Swearnet shows - having nearly the entire joke being that they can cuss is a pretty weak premise.

I just started watching "Out of the Park: Europe", and after that all I have left is "Out of the Park: USA".  I thought these were just specials but both of these are full eight episode seasons of their travels.  So far I've only watched the first episode, but it was all right so far.

I don't know who came up with the idea to make the 12th season animated.  I thought it was a stupid idea to be honest, but I watched the first episode and it was pretty entertaining.  Still seems to be pretty much the same show.  The art seems to capture them pretty well.

Apparently they found a (strange) way to write Mr. Leahey out.  I was trying to figure out if they had taken all his lines from old episodes?

I get the feeling I'm talking to myself here, but I finished watching the animated season.  Thought it was enjoyable, pretty much like any other season.  It's not my preference, but it wouldn't really bother me if they stayed with this format.  

I thought the animation worked best when they stuck to more normal real life type adventures.  When they used the cartoon format to do more surreal and ridiculous things, I thought it suffered.  If they keep this up, we'll probably see a Samsquanch next season (if there is one).

It was nice to see Steve French again.

Watched the second animated season.  There were a lot of funny moments and the cartoons are well done.  I'm not sure why they're preferring to stay with the animated format, unless they just want something different.  The cartoons work well.  This season was not so surreal as the previous one, it was more like a live action season that just happened to be animated.  Except for the "genie Mr. Lahey" parts.