Type keyword(s) to search

Total Divas - General Discussion

halgia
  • Start Topic

Episode 1:

"Good Girls Don't Make History"

Nicole, Brie, Trinity, Paige, Nattie, Nia and Lana take over New Orleans for an epic WrestleMania with a historic number of women's matches; Nia prepares for the match of her lifetime; Paige takes the women on a wild tour of New Orleans.

Airs September 19, 2018.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, OnceSane said:

Episode 1:

Airs September 19, 2018.

I stopped watching Total Bellas this last season. I’m hoping I can truck through this season of Total Divas. I’m definitely watching for Paige’s return and to see if she says anything about escaping her relationship from Alberto. 

I’m not looking forward to Lana and potentially Nia. 

Saw the opening episode last night.

Nattie's still crazy.

Paige's cleavage is the most interesting thing about her.

I've always liked Nia, for some reason, she comes off as a fairly nice, normal person.

Looks like more drama from Lana to come.

Looks like we'll get to see a post-John Cena Nikki flirting it up with some guys.  We'll see how that goes.  Apparently Brie's efforts to domesticate her did not work..

Edited by rmontro
Removed what the cat typed
  • Love 2

I always get distracted by the changing cleavage for Paige.   When she's filming her "in the moments", her cleavage is huge.   During the actual show, normal.   It makes me laugh.   I also wonder how she never gets any lipstick on her teeth.  

I thought the episode was fairly uneven and towards the end, I was getting bored.   Trinity is still my favorite and Nia is quickly becoming one as well.  I am SO glad they didn't bring back Foxy to play off Paige.   I always found them to be so annoying together. 

• Love 1

The timing of the episode was off. WrestleMania was at the beginning of April and it’s almost October. I love the behind the scenes stuff but all of that is old news in a sense. They’re on WrestleMania and we’re currently one PPV past SummerSlam heading into an all women’s ppv and then Survivor Series. 

The stuff with Nattie and the Bellas seemed producer driven. I don’t think that Nattie is dumb enough to make promises like that. 

I wonder how the women really feel about Ronda Rousey being in the WWE. Surely a few of them have to be pissed that she’s the champion and taking the spotlight away from the women who have been there for years. 

Edited by Stacey1014
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

The stuff with Nattie and the Bellas seemed producer driven. I don’t think that Nattie is dumb enough to make promises like that. 

That stuff certainly could be scripted, but I have to say between that and her battles with Lana last season, Nattie apparently doesn't mind playing the fool.  As long as the checks get signed, I guess.

As for Rousey, I wonder if she'll ever end up taking a more active part in Total Divas?

• Love 1

i think this show is mostly scripted. i have love and admire what people in the WWE type fields do. they are entertainers first. so i think obvious this show is mostly made up drama. the acting skills they do have they show here. but its all for fun so i watch. 

something about Paige is different to me. maybe she gained a couple pounds? but her face is different, her lips have some filler i think. but maybe with less working out she gained weight. NOT a judgement just an observation. i doubt we will hear about her relationship, which would be some real drama. might be legal stuff involved. i do miss foxy. i liked them together and it was so funny when she dated that old guy. 

I can't see Rousey ever getting involved with the Divas show. She seems to me like she'd find their reality show and constant scrambling for attention beneath her.

And yes I agree Nattie will do anything for a storyline. She'll exploit her marriage, her job, her insecurities, etc. if it means she gets a big part on a cable scripted reality show. Sad.

I didn't realize Paige was back. I may not watch now. I can't stand her shrieking all the time and she seems like she always has to be "on".

• Love 1
On 9/24/2018 at 10:46 AM, Tatum said:

I can't see Rousey ever getting involved with the Divas show. She seems to me like she'd find their reality show and constant scrambling for attention beneath her.

Given the focus and pointedly naming Rousey in the beginning and ending of episode and then at the end, she better have a talking head. I don’t recall the divas/superstars talking so highly of someone who isn’t on the show so much. 

Everyone was laying the Rousey love so thick. 

• Love 2

Episode 2:

"This Is My House"

WrestleMania 34 starts with a bang as the Bellas support and watch Trinity, Nattie and Lana compete in the first Women's Battle Royal; Nia's anxiety goes into overdrive before her championship match; Paige comes to terms with her retirement.

Airs September 26, 2018.

On 9/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, WarmSkull said:

Given the focus and pointedly naming Rousey in the beginning and ending of episode and then at the end, she better have a talking head. I don’t recall the divas/superstars talking so highly of someone who isn’t on the show so much. 

She is someone they literally can't talk around. She wont be on the show for more than maybe a cameo. She has legitimate stuff to do when she isn't wrestling. They would have also promoted the hell out of it if she was going to be on at some point.

• Love 1

Episode 3:

"The Real Nicole"

Nicole escapes to Palm Springs with Brie to gain clarity and focus on her independence; Nattie has a humiliating wardrobe malfunction just as she starts a storyline with Ronda Rousey; Jon attempts to fix Trinity's sweet tooth but fails miserably.

Airs October 3, 2018.

On 9/26/2018 at 6:06 PM, WarmSkull said:

I'm sure the company wanted to make sure Rousey was pushed on the show.  But you also have to remember this was at Wrestlemania, and it was Ronda's first match.  There were a lot of questions when the WWE hired her about how good a performer she would be.  And most would agree, even WWE critics, that she outperformed any expectations.  Her match was was one the highlights of the show.  And her approach, which is a mixture of legitimate judo skills and pro wrestling tactics, comes off as very fresh.  Especially when you first see it.

I don't know if she'll ever be a big part of Total Divas, but all they would have to do is show her going out on the town with the girls.  Not much else is required.

• Love 1

I’m watching the episode live and I’m tired of Nattie’s kooky family storyline. Her mom bought her underwear that could double as a parachute. But can’t Nattie just admit that her mom tried. Eye roll. 

On 10/3/2018 at 9:27 PM, WarmSkull said:

I’m watching the episode live and I’m tired of Nattie’s kooky family storyline. Her mom bought her underwear that could double as a parachute. But can’t Nattie just admit that her mom tried. Eye roll. 

Yeah, Nattie could have been a little more grateful.  It's kind of hard to see Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart in these scenes knowing that he has passed.

It's funny that Lana is complaining so much about not getting booked when she has been being used on TV more (on Smackdown) than she has in the past, as part of the "Rusev Day" storyline.

We actually had a few scenes of Rousey talking backstage with some of the girls.  Apparently they are going to use her on the show after all, even if it's in a limited role.  I doubt if they'll be doing anything like her throwing Lana's luggage into the ocean though.  

• Love 1

Episode 4:

"Paige's Secret"

Paige is faced with coming clean with a big secret she's been keeping from everyone; Nattie tries to convince everyone that she is the "hostess with the mostest," but can't even get food on the table; Brie is faced with mom guilt.

Airs October 10, 2018.

Nattie once again shows she doesn't mind looking foolish for the sake of a storyline.  Titus saved the day, but seriously, who brings a full course meal for 20 to a barbecue?

Paige's boyfriend had way too many tattoos.  If I was Nia's brother, I would have found it less offensive had she simply turned down the set up date, rather than show up to it and act like a jackass in an attempt to make me dislike her.

I thought it was funny when Brie told Bryan he had hobbit feet, and he said "Don't call me out".

The Bellas turned heel against Ronda Rousey on RAW Monday night, so I wonder if that will change the way they are portrayed on their reality shows any?  Probably not.

The entire show was a bit eye rolling. The Bellas seemed out of place since they were completely separate from everyone else. 

I admit that I got a little kick out of Lana and Nattie’s parents, along with TJ in the background looking like he wants no part of the show. 

It does seem strange watching the Anvil knowing that he has passed. He passed away the week before SummerSlam, so I’m wondering how much was filmed of that week. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

The entire show was a bit eye rolling. The Bellas seemed out of place since they were completely separate from everyone else. 

I admit that I got a little kick out of Lana and Nattie’s parents, along with TJ in the background looking like he wants no part of the show. 

The Bellas segments often feel like they are doing an episode of Total Bellas.

And you're right, TJ looked absolutely miserable at that party.  I was going to mention that myself, but it slipped my mind.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, rmontro said:

The Bellas segments often feel like they are doing an episode of Total Bellas.

And you're right, TJ looked absolutely miserable at that party.  I was going to mention that myself, but it slipped my mind.

But does he ever look happy though? Other than when he's with his former tag partner Cesaro? 

That's just TJ just being TJ.

• Love 1

Episode 5:

"Pink Hair Don't Care"

Nia invites Nattie, Trinity and Lana over to celebrate her new home; Lana is concerned with reinventing her character in the WWE to stay relevant but she takes it to drastic measures; Nicole and Brie take Paige out to blow off some steam.

Airs October 17, 2018.

Hokey smokes, can Nattie come off any more like a jerk?  She practically drags Lana into dying her hair pink, pumps her up about how great it looks, and wham suddenly she hits her with "I don't like it".  With a big smirk on her face at that.  

I can see Lana's point about wanting to stand out.  Rumors are that the reason so many blondes get pushed to the top in the WWE is because Vince McMahon likes blondes.

• Love 1

Episode 6:

"Welcome to Miami"

The WWE Female Superstars head to Miami to celebrate Nattie and Nia's birthday with surprises in store; Nicole is hounded by the paparazzi even when flirting with a hot bartender; the Superstars' dancing skills are put to the test.

Airs October 24, 2018.

Regarding that male bartender, Brandon:  I didn't know whether to feel envious or bad for him, getting stuck with all those divas for the weekend.  

Definitely felt bad for the sushi model guy, none of the girls even wanted to get near him.  It's a bad idea anyway.  I've never heard of a male sushi model.  He said it was his first time, so they probably came up with it specifically for Paige (or the producers, or whoever thought it up).

When Nattie says "Will you support me if I do something to Lana?", that's not a good sign.  And in this scene, I felt bad for the housekeepers (I'm beginning to sense a pattern here).

Brie for the win with flying out Nia's and Nattie's mothers out to be with them.

I'm beginning to think I'm having a conversation with myself here.  Oh well, see you next week.

The show hasn’t been good lately. If I’m watching, I’d rather see the women and the behind the scenes stuff from the WWE instead of them visiting resorts and acting stupid with their various shenanigans. I feel like I’m watching The Real Housewives of the WWE.

From what I’ve read on various wrestling sites, the ratings have been the lowest since the show started. 

FYI - Nattie and Ronda Rousey were on Rachael Ray’s Friday show promoting Evolution. They mostly focused on Rousey with Nattie answering a question or two. 

On 10/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, Stacey1014 said:

The show hasn’t been good lately. If I’m watching, I’d rather see the women and the behind the scenes stuff from the WWE instead of them visiting resorts and acting stupid with their various shenanigans.

That's a good point.  They don't have the drama of Brie having a baby this season, or of the on again/off again Nikki/Cena relationship.  

Right now it just feels like a series of alcohol fueled parties in fancy dress.  I actually thought that was part of the show's appeal, and goes along well with the E network, so viewers can see their rich and famous lifestyle.

The only problem with the behind the scenes stuff is that it is usually six months behind current WWE programming, and it feels dated.  Speaking of which, the Bellas turned heel last week, I wonder if that is going to affect how they are portrayed on this show?  Or maybe after Nikki's match with Ronda this weekend, they'll turn face again.  

By the way, I heard a rumor they are trying to get Rousey to be a regular cast member on Total Divas, because of the declining ratings.

Episode 7:

"Chase Your Dreams"

Lana seeks advice from Brie and Nicole when Rusev announces he wants to have a baby; Nicole goes against Brie's wishes and plans a surprise party with Rusev for Birdie's first birthday.

Airs October 31, 2018.

11 hours ago, Hero said:

Are Nia and Alexa not friends anymore? 

Kayfabe above all? I imagine they are still friends in real life, but it's undocumented in order to push that enemy storyline. (If you watch the monday program, few months back, Alexa has a "hidden camera" where she egged on Nia to Mickie, saying pretty harsh things, and Nia started a mission to beat the crap out of Alexa)

Episode 8:

"Hate Is a Strong Word"

A girls bonding trip to Lake Tahoe quickly escalates into a heated fight between Lana and Paige; Trinity catches up with family and friends in Atlanta without Jon.

Airs November 7, 2018.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:55 AM, drivethroo said:

Did Lana ever get a good room or did they keep her in the basement with the pull out bed? They never did tell her the room was a prank, they just sat back and told her to grow up.

I believe Nattie had her stay in her room.  For all their former battles, apparently the two are good friends.  At least on the show.

Episode 9:

"A Sisterhood Beyond Blood"

After a rocky first night, Trinity joins the Bellas, Nattie, Nia, Paige and Lana in Tahoe, where they bond in a way they never have before; Brie tries to convince the girls that the lake monster Tahoe Tessy is indeed real.

Airs November 14, 2018.

On 10/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, rmontro said:

Right now it just feels like a series of alcohol fueled parties in fancy dress.  I actually thought that was part of the show's appeal, and goes along well with the E network, so viewers can see their rich and famous lifestyle.

You hit the nail on the head. I primarily tune in for their vacation episodes. I’m a sucker for the lodging and destination prettiness. But there is nothing intriguing about their storylines. Watching feels like a chore now.

I watch the vacation episodes On Demand, most recently episode 9/Lake Tahoe Part 2. I got to a point where I was tired of watching the storylines and then realized I still had 30 minutes left.

But, to actually talk about the Lake Tahoe episodes:

* As usual a beautiful house with just as beautiful views.

* I liked how the Bellas had an emotional tie to Lake Tahoe and spoke of their memories. 

* How many times did Nikki talk about how the girls needed “bonding time.” I almost turned it into my own drinking game. 

* I like Paige’s storyline for these episodes especially with the references to how messed up she was only a year or so prior. 

* Please get Lana off my screen. I hate that she has the same storyline of being “wronged.” Plus her talking head (TH) in Lake Tahoe part 1 was scary looking. 

* There is something different with Nikki’s TH’s. She seems to be speaking maturely/better, for lack of a better term. Less Valley Girl. 

• Love 2
On 11/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, WarmSkull said:

Please get Lana off my screen. I hate that she has the same storyline of being “wronged.” Plus her talking head (TH) in Lake Tahoe part 1 was scary looking. 

There is something different with Nikki’s TH’s. She seems to be speaking maturely/better, for lack of a better term. Less Valley Girl. 

It's hard to feel sorry for Lana, seeing how she has been gifted with being so attractive.

As for Nikki, I'm tempted to say maybe getting away from Cena is good for her.  Or maybe she's just forgetting to use her accent  :)  Sort of like on Smackdown, half the time Lana speaks with a Russian accent, half the time she loses it.

The main issue with the show is almost all the same. The people on the show are by large doing nothing of merit. The only female wrestlers doing anything of real merit right now are Ronda Rousey, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Alexa Bliss, Nia Jax and Tamina. Nia is the only person here doing anything important and Nia is only important because she injured the companies biggest star right now. Lana and Naomi are barely on tv. Natalya has a storyline. One about her dead father naturally. But it's not a important one. The Bellas just came back to get some of that womens ppv spotlight and are gone again. That's after Brie gave someone a concussion. 

There is just such a disconnect with what's important with the company and what's going on with this show. 

Their last chance to save this show is after the break. With Brie being raked over the coals for being sloppy in the ring, people being pissed that Nikki got the main event at the all womans evolution ppv, Nattie dealing with fathers death, Nia injuring Becky and Naomi/Lana being vocally displeased with their nothing roles in said ppv. Plenty of drama there. If they waste that on vacations and Nattie hijinks than this show deserves to die out.

7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Nia is only important because she injured the companies biggest star right now.

Nia is only important because she's the Rock's cousin.

Total Divas runs about six months behind Raw and Smackdown, so its content isn't usually relevant to current storylines anyway.  Next week there is a story about Jim Neidhart, so that is getting closer to the present than it usually does.  But I don't generally think about current WWE storylines when I think about Total Divas.  Like I said before, it's more like a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous show.

5 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Nia is only important because she's the Rock's cousin.

Total Divas runs about six months behind Raw and Smackdown, so its content isn't usually relevant to current storylines anyway.  Next week there is a story about Jim Neidhart, so that is getting closer to the present than it usually does.  But I don't generally think about current WWE storylines when I think about Total Divas.  Like I said before, it's more like a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous show.

That's fine. i dont watch it for that. Like the real situations. The drama from their actual occupation.

Why Nia got her job is irrelevant. She is was one of the most present people on the roster.

These shows being behind doesn't negate my point either. Six month ago is the same as right now in terms of female performers that actual things going on. 

This show is capable of so much than it is. I don't blame people for turning out. 

I think the trips were more to include the Bellas. They didn’t return to action until September and October, so they needed an excuse for them to interact with the rest of the cast. 

As for Nattie, I’m not enjoying her current WWE storyline. While I think she deserves an in ring storyline, I have no interest watching her morph into the Meghan McCain of the WWE. 

14 hours ago, Racj82 said:

This show is capable of so much than it is. I don't blame people for turning out. 

Well, I didn't say the show was good.  I just meant the wrestling storylines aren't really the focus.  I enjoy when they show the backstage scenes though.

This last episode where they did the journals was just nonsense IMO.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:58 AM, rmontro said:

Nattie once again shows she doesn't mind looking foolish for the sake of a storyline.  Titus saved the day, but seriously, who brings a full course meal for 20 to a barbecue?

Paige's boyfriend had way too many tattoos.  If I was Nia's brother, I would have found it less offensive had she simply turned down the set up date, rather than show up to it and act like a jackass in an attempt to make me dislike her.

I thought it was funny when Brie told Bryan he had hobbit feet, and he said "Don't call me out".

I finally watched this episode, and probably won't finish the season, if this eppy was any indication.

I am sure 99% of this is manufactured drama, so Nia's brother likely was in on the non date from the start. On the other hand though, if there is anyone immature to enough to think wasting someone's time and acting like an asshole is preferable to just saying you're not interested, it would be Paige, so that could be legit. Probably wasn't though.

Nattie had her usual histrionics. Yawn.

I was a bit chilled by Brie and Bryan at the end. I don't think Brie's fear that Bryan would be pissed at her for quitting breastfeeding was just for the show. Bryan seems like the type to be all passive aggressive about what Brie is eating and drinking and what  her exercise and sleeping habits are if she's starting to have problems producing breast milk. I know everyone loves Bryan, but I get a real squicky vibe about him sometimes.  Underneath the easy going tree hugging hippie persona he puts out lurks a serious control freak. I don't think he respects Brie at all, and is probably with her because she's so dumb and insecure and therefore easy to manipulate. Did you guys catch when Brie said something like, I'm smart, and Bryan snarks that she can't even say that with a straight face.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tatum said:

I am sure 99% of this is manufactured drama, so Nia's brother likely was in on the non date from the start.

You're probably right.  But if you're going to talk about these episodes, you almost have to kind "pretend" that it's real, even if you know it isn't, just for the sake of discussing it.  It's no different from a regular non-reality scripted show in that regard.  Or the WWE, or whatever.

Interesting comments on Bryan, I could see him becoming a little tyrannical in his tree hugging ways.  Fortunately he was okay with Brie's cessation of milk production (I don't know what he could do about it if he wasn't).

Speaking of Bryan's politics, he refused to go to Saudi Arabia for the last WWE show (Crown Jewel).  WWE was getting a lot of political heat about going to Saudi Arabia after that journalist was killed there.  John Cena also refused to go, but he's trying to get a Hollywood movie career going, so he was playing it safe by doing that.  Bryan actually said the reason he wouldn't go was because of the way they treat homosexuals.  That's understandable also, but he went to the first Saudi show, and I don't believe they've changed their approach to homosexuals any during that time.

Since these shows are a huge source of income for the WWE, I don't see them stopping them any time soon.  That could hamper Bryan's career if he continues to refuse to go.  For instance, will they keep the WWE belt on him if he's not going to show up?  I'm sure the Saudis expect to see the WWE champion on their shows.

8 minutes ago, rmontro said:

You're probably right.  But if you're going to talk about these episodes, you almost have to kind "pretend" that it's real, even if you know it isn't, just for the sake of discussing it.  It's no different from a regular non-reality scripted show in that regard

To a point I agree. And really, even if it is scripted, these women are willing to make themselves look this way, which is almost as bad. And Paige really is super immature. I don't think I could stand to be around her for more than a few minutes.

8 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Interesting comments on Bryan, I could see him becoming a little tyrannical in his tree hugging ways.  Fortunately he was okay with Brie's cessation of milk production (I don't know what he could do about it if he wasn't).

I don't think Bryan would want to go on record as bullying Brie about quitting breast feeding, so I am not surprised he appeared super laid back about it. I think either 1. the conversation was re-enacted for the cameras, or 2. Brie specifically told him about it while they were being filmed so he had to be nice.

And I don't think he would like, backhand her or anything over it- I see him being a lot more passive aggressive, like the next time Brie is drinking wine to make some comment about how alcohol slows down milk production (or something akin to that). I don't think Bryan physically abuses Brie or anything but she always seem a touch nervous about his reactions to things like what she wears, and how much she drinks, what she eats, and how much money she spends. It's fine for him to be annoyed when she wants to buy a $3,000 dress, but raking her over the coals for spending $20 at a coffee shop seems a bit over the top (he's done both).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

And Paige really is super immature. I don't think I could stand to be around her for more than a few minutes.

She's certainly not the kind of gal I would go for, I prefer the girl next door type.  Paige seems to be more of the drunken wild orgy tattoo parlor anything goes type of chick.

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

And I don't think he would like, backhand her or anything over it

No, he would put her in the Yes Lock (kidding, just kidding!).  I agree the conversation was likely a recreation.

Ordinarily, I would object to the besmirching of Daniel Bryan's character, but he did just turn heel, so....

:)

Episode 10:

"Unbreakable Force"

On the Season Finale, the female superstars prepare for their historic Money in the Bank match and are faced with pressures inside and outside the ring. While Nia prepares for her publicly anticipated singles match against Ronda Rousey, Trinity tries to get her relationship with Jon back on track after realizing her wedding ring is stolen. As a shock and heartbreak to all, the Hart Dynasty is shaken when Nattie and her family are faced with the devastating loss of her father.

Airs November 28, 2018.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:20 PM, OnceSane said:

Episode 10:

Airs November 28, 2018.

I totally forgot to watch this.  I see by all the conversation here it must have been a really good episode lol.  I'll have to check it out On Demand.