Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Wayback Machine jumps us forward to January 21, 2019.  The cases-hair client develops a bald spot after extensions put in; Uber driver wants lost wages after car accident that were promised to him; and tenant wants rent and security back after not moving in when landlord finds out she owes a large amount to utility-are not worth Sherman's effort.  Here is the discussion link:

A Hair-Raising Situation.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Bazinga said:

The cases-hair client develops a bald spot after extensions put in;

That was extremely dreary, so much so that I actually listened to one of The Levin's fan club members in the doorway. Well, I didn't listen. I kept it on Mute and just read the CCs.

Dull-eyed California Girl had some brilliant insight on this case when Harve solicited her opinion on hair loss and extensions:

"Well, I think, um... probably because it's not, like, your natural hair, like, maybe, um, your hair could fall out..."

Levin snatches his tiny little mic away and says, "Maybe", before turning and shoving that ugly, grinning Jack O'Lantern mug in the camera for yet another of his zillion closeups.

Every time I hear "Like like like" (especially when used in place of "said") I always think of one of my high school teachers, Mr. Baumann, (who terrified me and who I secretly thought was a former Nazi), and how he would rip all these "like" lovers new ones.

If he asked a student a question and the answer started with, "It's, like...", Mr. Baumann would become enraged, lunge forward with one knee on the kid's desk, and bellow in his accented English, "LIKE?? LIKE? LIKE A BLACK CAT!" To this day I tremble at the thought.

So, um, like, my trip down Memory Lane is, like,  just as boring as these cases were. 😟

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

where I live does require the name on the bill to match the name on the lease

I don't know if every place is this tight (although most I have dealt with have some specific requirements) but given that the plaintiff was already a demonstrated deadbeat I suspect that her ex husband is also and that would show up when the utility company submitted either of them for transfer of the utility bill. The defendant was perfectly reasonable in refusing to rent to the plaintiff but I do think that refunding the deposit was appropriate just as if the plaintiff failed the background check. Sometimes MM increasingly comes across like JJ at her worst.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

(who terrified me and who I secretly thought was a former Nazi

Maybe we sometimes need people like the soup Nazi? I went to an all boys Jesuit High School and some of the Jesuits were harsh and rooted in the 17th century school of teaching, some were excellent teachers. Two of the faculty members in my physics department were youngsters in Germany during the war and (had no choice) were members of the Hitler Youth (not the same as being Nazi). They didn't talk about those times very often, but when they did one of them was extremely bitter about how hard life was (bathing in the river in subzero weather) at the end and after the war was over, the other (I am sure he also had some terrible memories) told about absurdities in the late years of the war when he was in his early teens and they put him on the crew of a 40 mm anti-aircraft gun on a rooftop - he said "40 mm? the American bombers were coming over at 20,000 Feet!". As people pass on I hope we don't lose all of the memories and experiences.

Edited by DoctorK
clarification
  • Like 4
8 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I don't know if every place is this tight (although most I have dealt with have some specific requirements) but given that the plaintiff was already a demonstrated deadbeat I suspect that her ex husband is also and that would show up when the utility company submitted either of them for transfer of the utility bill. The defendant was perfectly reasonable in refusing to rent to the plaintiff but I do think that refunlding the deposit was appropriate just as if the plaintiff failed the background check. Sometimes MM increasingly comes across like JJ at her worst.

Everywhere I have lived has to see either a sales contract or lease with the name of the resident on it, and proof of identity, to get utilities turned on.   The size of the deposit depends on your credit history, and if you owe anything to that utility, or a previous one, it has to be paid up before you get service. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, DoctorK said:

but given that the plaintiff was already a demonstrated deadbeat I suspect that her ex husband is also and that would show up when the utility company submitted either of them for transfer of the utility bill.

But, like, she's a SSMOFOUR!! It's widely known that attaining the status of SSMOAnyNumber gives one special privileges and exemptions. She owed 4,800$ but had no idea about this huge bill.  Def should overlook her cluelessness and massive debt?  I guess so.

If the ex is a deadbeat or an irresponsible idiot and didn't pay bills when he was WITH the P, why on earth would the landlady (or JM) think he would pay P's bills now that they split up?

I'm sure the landlady had nightmarish visions of chasing the P every month to try and get her to pay the rent and hearing promises and excuse after excuse, aside from the main SSM one.

15 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Maybe we sometimes need people like the soup Nazi?

We need some grammar Nazis too. A Mr. Baumann, sporting the visage of a large bird of prey would swoop down and terrorize all these litigants so badly they would never say" had came" or "we was" again.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The case confused a lot of different things.  One, the need for proof of residence to open a utility account.  The judge could have made a call from chambers and asked the utility if this was true but instead asked the defendant to provide proof.  JM didn't call because she already decided that, of course, the utility wouldn't care and then set up her own easily knocked down straw man that the utility would only care that they get paid and anyone can pay the utility.  Two different things that JM is combining; setting up the account is making someone liable for the debt and the utility would want that person to be someone they have power over by discontinuing the service and who actually pays, which can be anyone.  Two, the landlord not wanting to rent to someone who they think is going to perpetrate a fraud and wanted their help in committing said fraud.  JM, as usual, blows off putting things in another's name as not being fraudulent activity and actually gets annoyed at the landlord for suggesting it is.  Possibly, if the tenant was committing fraud, she is the one who breached and the landlord can keep the rent and security.  The judge ruled out that there was any fraud, so this was not going to happen.  Third, the landlord doesn't have to rent to the plaintiff because the tenant is a deadbeat and/or is committing a fraud in the lanlord's mind but the plaintiff should get her deposit back because the landlord is the breaching party.  The last one is what the case turned on-the landlord was right not to rent but needed to return the deposit and rent money.        

Today's episode is from February 1, 2019.

Link: Ripping Off an Ex.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Today's episode is from February 1, 2019.

Link: Ripping Off an Ex

Oh, a repeat of one of my favorite cases! Aside from the fact that it was devoid of punching, kicking, biting, and trashed apartments, I re-LOVED the prissy little twerp plaintiff, who has dogs in his bone marrow and freshly-done streaks in the carefully tousled locks on his little dome.  His frowsy-looking ladylove held his hand in the hall and thrust out her substantial, fake-looking bosoms while the little creep groped her butt. Imagine wanting to marry him! I bet the decision not to get married was Def's. She didn't want his creditors hounding her to her grave.

I lost interest in "Rashida's Insurance Lapsed". It probably lapsed just one hour before she hit Mr. Basically's elderly motorcycle. JM gets quite a chuckle at the old, tired lapsed BS. Do these idiots think their story is unique or that it's JM's first rodeo?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Didn't watch the dog case the first time, nor this time. We got a repeat with two of the most repulsive defendants ever  - repulsive morally, ethically, and mentally which made them repulsive outwardly as well.

They gave us that huge, smirking, lying pile of shit who borrowed 600$ from the twerpy, prissy, whiny little P, who set himself up as a loan officer for his co-workers and charged mob-level interest rates. Def might want to change his attitude. From his bloated, pasty unhealthy looks, he might soon collapse and be unable to find anyone who cares enough to take care of him. Neither of them could shut up even after JM said she didn't want to hear another word from them. Agree with JM - both their asses should have been fired. I loved how she told Steve on the phone that he is employing a loan shark and a liar.

Then we got that disgusting little shit def, who looked as though he was sporting an over-the-ear beard he got at a discount after Halloween and who stiffed the landscaper P a measly 175$ after P cleaned up the wild jungle growing in that yard. The little shit declares that in the mysterious, obscure language of landscapers "trim" really means "dig up and remove shrubs". I wonder if the people to whom he was "speaking" at some real estate convention saw this. Shame on you, you little shit.

If life had any fairness at all, Douglas should have been able to kick him in his little ass on the way out before he could babble in the hall that JM didn't let him explain why he paid not one penny to the person who did all that work.

• Like 4

Today's episode is from February 15, 2019.  There are a number of comments about this episode on pages 127/128 of the forum. 

I especially despised the overburdened, put upon mother of three suing for the $5,000 max for no other reason than she can, who claimed the 'bad people' traumatized her children and spoiled her milk and deli meat when they illegally towed her car from a BJ's parking lot where she had parked illegally in a traffic lane, and that JM actually sympathized with her predicament.  

ETA: On this watch, I was most annoyed by JM's determination that the space was wasted space.  To me, this was where cars would drive in both directions looking for parking and entering and exiting.  If cars were allowed to park there, you are blocking cars from moving freely.  JM always knows better how others should run their businesses.  Also, disliked JM's complaint that the tow owner showed up to defend the company in court.  What would the tow driver add to this case if he came to court?  What else was there to say?  Same with having pictures.  The plaintiff was admitting and testifying exactly where she parked and that spot was not a legal parking spot; why was the burden being placed on the defendant to do more then agree this spot was illegal?  Just looking to pick on the party she didn't like for no reason at all.      

Here is the direct link:

A Contractor Crisis.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of hysterics in today's repeats.

I watched some of the dumbass Palooka defending the honour of his hysterical little woman. She better hope she dies first because without him who will soothe her hysterical crying jag if some big bad plumber calls her "Missy"? No way could she handle that by her own little self. She will shrivel up and die.

The Levin: "Who's blowing hot air"? Look in the mirror, dirtbag.

Then the repeat of the hysterical mommy with the hysterical kids who parks where she likes because she has little kids and it's convenient for her and it was hot and all that shit. The "wasted space" is there for a reason, I assume, like maybe for fire trucks or other large vehicles needing clear entry lanes.

I watched the dog case which I skipped the first time. I now add these defs to the "most repulsive" list. When JM asked what kind of dog they had I think she was disappointed to hear it was not a big scary pit bull, but a Malamute mix (that may weigh 100lbs). Anyway, P probably did panic and precipitate the bite by his actions - kicking def's dog and yanking his dog up so it was rearing up on its hind legs in front of def's dog but of course, none of this would have happened had def's dog not been loose on the street. The only blameless parties in this were the dogs.

The shrill def witch's attitude - "I want to be heard!" - personality and affect were disgusting. Her beefy, billy goat-bearded man was disgusting without even saying anything. Ugh. Not sure about JM ordering defs to pay for P's gas, letters, lost sleep, etc, etc. but she knows better than I do.

• Like 3

We've jumped forward a week to February 21, 2019.  There are three posts about this episode.  Does not look like an especially interesting one to me. 

Here is the link to the discussion on page 128: 

Bitter Neighbor Battle.

I miss SRTouch and his recaps.  I checked and he hasn't posted in over two years.  I assume the worst.  Sad.

To quote Lou Grant : 'I treasure you people.'

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

I miss SRTouch and his recaps.  I checked and he hasn't posted in over two years.  I assume the worst.  Sad.

I've missed him too. I'll assume he just couldn't deal with Levin's dregs of society anymore. Sadly, nothing lasts forever.

To quote Lou Grant : 'I treasure you people.

x2!

• Hugs 2
  • Love 3

I’ve been enjoying these cases since they’re from the time when TPC kept changing timeslots here and I could never find it. Well, maybe enjoy is too strong a word, they’re entertaining. 

I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I laughed out loud at one of Harvey’s Harvey-isms. I’m not proud 😂 

17 hours ago, Bazinga said:

To quote Lou Grant : 'I treasure you people.'

x3 ❤️

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Today's episode is from February 26, 2019.

Forum link to page 129: Sisters Square Off in Court.

I just couldn't with these. I just kept skipping but heard something I think I missed the last time.

"She call me ON my name." I'm sure we've determined the proper form of that is, "She call me OUT my name", have we not?

Of course, I AM obsolete so maybe both versions are acceptable, or maybe the "ON" version has a different meaning. Is anyone here fluent in litigant-speak?

• LOL 3

What a bizarre family situation, where the father and mother are fighting, tossing father out in the cold, but father and son sharing the girlfriend.  

On the house fire case, I bet even if the homeowners had insurance, that the insurance wouldn't have paid off on a fire started by defendant when she was either a guest of the homeowner, or known to have repeatedly broken in.  I believe nothing about the 'accident' of turning on the burners, and oven way high, and the house coincidenatlly blowing up. 

I think the only accident was thinking lighting up that close to the house would result in the fire, but not with almost getting blown up too. 

My guess is plaintiff is right, defendant is sleeping with Daddy, her brother, and anyone else who is crazy enough to give her anything. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I didn't remember much of this, so took a look at the link Bazinga so kindly supplied. This is what I wrote then, but watching today I thought of something so copied it:

Drug/alcohol abuse, jail, house burned down, slag humping daddy and his son and getting supported by Byrd so she can spend her days getting high/drunk, screwing and getting up to all kinds of hijinks. I guess brother, her new squeeze now that daddy-squeeze is in the slammer, doesn't work either since he has lots of time to hang out with def in plaintiff's house. He has to run when the cops come. Don't we all?

I missed the warrants/parole violation, the cocaine/weed buying, two women scrapping it out in the yard, and the swanky Cleopatra wig.

Anyway, while watching it today a vague memory of an ancient TeeVee which was called (I think) "This is Your Life!" came to mind.

That show would be vastly different today.

• Like 4

Oh boy, the great web site war! This is the first time I have really enjoyed a case in a long time, it brought back a lot of memories. I built a few web sites in the old days (started writing raw HTML using Notepad, later Front Page (faster to code but lots of trash code would get built in) and I am nothing like up to date in this stuff) and I sympathized the plaintiff's problems dealing with updates, but honestly I think he was in over his head and sounded like he was OK with cut and pasting modules but not so hot on architecture. Then there was the defendant and I despise people like him in work environments (come to think of it, pretty much anywhere) who pick up a few techie buzzwords and then drop them around in ways that make it clear he has no clue what he is talking about. Clearly "store" and "secure" mean something different in his universe. I strongly suspect that if and when the defendant gets a better web designer, he is going to be told to restart from scratch, trying to work on somebody else's code is always a nightmare.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Oh boy, the great web site war! This is the first time I have really enjoyed a case in a long time, it brought back a lot of memories.

New episodes??

I enjoyed it too, but probably for different reasons since the technical side eluded me. I do love the so-called business people who appear here and turn out to be clowns who are clueless.

"We had an MOU (P explains to JM that means a "Memorandum of Understanding" just in case she's not as savvy as he is) signed but I don't have it with me".  Def doesn't have it either. I guess they both lost their copies.

1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Clearly "store" and "secure" mean something different in his universe.

I have no idea what "storing" means in relation to a website and the way the Def kept parroting that I think he might not know either.

I am extremely tech unsavvy, but these "plugins (pluginspluginsplugins)" P, with his smarmy, used-car salesman demeanor, kept ranting about, and how "Cheapname" or whoever owned the site gave him the wrong plugins, and for TWO MONTHS he had no time to try to find the right PLUGINS so thought "screw it": As clueless as I am I still managed to find, download and install plugins for my Sony Vegas. Maybe that's much easier or something different but I would expect an IT person to whom I paid 500$ to know more than I do.

I'm not so sure I'd want someone who says "Had did" to create or revise my site.🤔

Then we had poor little offended D who paid P to paint her place, was satisfied, paid him, and then put a stop payment on the cheque.

Well, she explains, he's a misogynist! Her dogs barked at him non-stop he says, so he opined that she must not have many men in her place!

She also says that even though she was home while he was working, she only noticed the mess he left after she paid him. She sent him a novel-length text to explain her outrage and why she stiffed him.

I dunno - P didn't look like any kind of Macho Man to me, but it seems now that if anything anyone says makes you "uncomfortable" or hurts your feelings you needn't pay for work they did.  I wish I had known this last year when my contractor made some jokes (joking now being largely verboten). I could have saved myself a bundle.

P gets his 395$ but Doug kind of socks it to him in the hall, asking WTF? about the "you must not have many men here" comment.

Well, it seems P is an amateur animal behaviorist in his spare time and starts blabbing that his friends are animal behaviorists who told him stuff, and oh, shut up.

• Like 6

Another pretty good one today, first case was entertaining because it is rare to see people as rancid as the defendant. She was a liar, deadbeat, an out and out crook and I think actually stupid also. She was a nasty little piece of work (I had several other words to use here but I try to avoid that type of language). She sure didn't help herself in the halterview, anyone seeing that little performance will never do business with her but she still acted as if she was in the right on everything and she repeated the flat out lie that the plaintiff was paid twice. Not only would I not do business with her, I wouldn't even want to around her.

Second case, blah. Can't win them all.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Another pretty good one today, first case was entertaining because it is rare to see people as rancid as the defendant.

No shows for me today and I'm kind of sorry I missed someone so rancid on THIS show that she can be called "rare".

• Like 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

No shows for me today and I'm kind of sorry I missed someone so rancid on THIS show that she can be called "rare".

Half of TPC was pre-empted yesterday AND the whole show today because of Trump being here in NY.  I'd much rather see some trash cases instead of his dumb face, so I appreciate the recaps very much.

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Could be worse. We could have been butted into every day for the last couple of weeks with breathless updates on the farcical "trials" of those VIPs - 'Goopy' Paltrow and Daddy Grandpa Baldwin.

Actually, I would have paid to see those clowns on TPC or JJ. Not only would it have been highly entertaining, but could have saved the poor taxpayers a bundle that was expended for nothing.

• Like 4

Am I getting old? 
I sided with the mother in today’s first case about the cell phone payment. 

it seemed like the adult daughter with “autism, ptsd, epilepsy, teen pregnancy (17 year old with a 22 year old- guessing it meets the age of consent), and later coming out as homosexual took no personal responsibility and blamed her mother for everything in her life.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
(edited)

"Making Mom Mad"  (4/06/23) - Plaintiff is suing her daughter for a cellphone she bought her; things got rocky after a mother/daughter tiff and hurt feelings lead to a lawsuit. 

Seemed this relationship was strained forever, then one day daughter called Mom and demanded that mom come get her grandson who was out of control.   Mom refused and got to feeling disrespected by daughter who didn't like the response.  After this, the daughter bad-mouthed Mom on FB saying that her mom told her that she should "try harder next time she attempts suicide".  Things got chippy because then daughter stopped paying on time, and Mom called phone provider to cancel the service. 

At first, I was side-eyeing the daughter because she turned on the dramatics early in the case, pouring out a whole bucket of family dirt to smear her mother with:  teenage pregnancy, parental refusal when asked for an abortion, "forced" into young motherhood, put into psychiatric facility as a teen, had CPS called about her son being abused, suicide attempts, sibling favoritism, mother alienated her from her father, PTSD.   Whew!  All that family drama she revealed when it was all about her being a deadbeat and not paying her bills did not endear her to me at all.  She seemed disingenuous and histrionic and had her male bestie in the court to rub her back as she tried to squeeze out tears, which made her seem over the top.

This case boiled down to two people with long-time frustrations who let it all go to hell for a fairly simple reason.  

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 5

It's a bit late, but not surprising, Judge Marilyn Milian is getting a new show. "Justice for the People"

Byron Allen’s Allen Media Group has lined up another judge for its already robust roster of legal shows. It is launching Justice for the People with Judge Milian.

The new court series starring Judge Marilyn Milian of The People’s Court is a daily one-hour strip for fall 2023, available to broadcast television stations nationwide. 

No word on if Douglas will go with her. But at least she'll still be on the bench.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
On 4/3/2023 at 2:27 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Then we had poor little offended D who paid P to paint her place, was satisfied, paid him, and then put a stop payment on the cheque.

Don't forget that she lied to him about knowing his friend, which I'll wager she thought would get her some sort of discount.  When it didn't she was probably annoyed and got rid of his as soon as possible when the painting was done.  Wrote him a check to get him out the door and was on the phone to the bank the minute he drove away to stop payment and then started her pathetic list of reasons he shouldn't be paid.  Wouldn't surprise me if she told him she'd do the cleanup to save the $65/hour involved in having him do it.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, patty1h said:

This case boiled down to two people with long-time frustrations who let it all go to hell for a fairly simple reason.  

I notice she was SOOOOO upset but no tears.  Women like this remind me of Birdie's line about the title character in "All About Eve" - "all that's missin' is the dogs nippin' at her heels."  

• Like 3
On 4/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mrs Shibbles said:

Am I getting old? 
I sided with the mother in today’s first case about the cell phone payment. 

it seemed like the adult daughter with “autism, ptsd, epilepsy, teen pregnancy (17 year old with a 22 year old- guessing it meets the age of consent), and later coming out as homosexual took no personal responsibility and blamed her mother for everything in her life.

I'm right up there with you! I didn't see this ep. (had ice storm & power failure on Weds and it just came back now) but see people 2 and 3 times the age of the autistic, PTSD, and epilepsy knocked up teen who don't take any responsibility for anything they do. Hey, it's Clown World!

• Like 2

Interesting how the daughter in the cell phone case could so accurately self-diagnose (and, of course, by stating interesting I totally am rolling my eyes while my tone is dripping with sarcasm).  Oh, but she tried and tried to produce tears to no effect.  She is such a victim... However, her mother was probably 'over protective' (based on her stating that this daughter required so much of her attention and time) to the point that she helped create this perpetual victim.

• Like 4

I'm still edgy and cranky over the ice storm so maybe that's why I could not stand the first two plaintiffs today.

The bridegroom got on my last nerve. Deaf as I am, I still had to lower the volume due to his uber-loud, grammatically-challenged bloviating. That didn't help my annoyance with his chipmunk-like grinning. He signed a contract with the Def, a DJ, for his wedding, saying that in case of bad weather, he could reschedule his party another time. P said during this case that he was planning to do this. Oh, but his little bride-to-be (who declined to appear here) wrote down on a napkin in Starbucks that the def said they could "work something out". Yeah, that doesn't negate the contract that HE and not JM signed. Why he would pay all the money in advance to a DJ, I have no idea. He gets nothing.

Then we had another poor little helpless whispering "I depend on the kindness of strangers" lady who wanted to move from Mass. to FL and buy a house with the money she inherited from her mother. She hired the def. to do the inspection of the property she chose. It seems a big black spot was on the kitchen ceiling and she says he told her it was probably old and dry and not to worry about it. After he finished he sent her an email with pics, complete with close-ups, arrows, and his moisture meter, showing dampness and wet spots on various surfaces and strongly suggested she hire a contractor to look at the situation. It seems in FL inspectors are not permitted to mention the word "mold".

She decided to ignore all this photographic evidence of trouble, bought the property, and then found out the whole kitchen needed to be torn down and replaced due to serious mold. This is all the inspector's fault so he should pay the maximum to compensate her for the 11 or 17K it cost her to get the job done. Nada for her. Doug in the hall is particularly unsympathetic to this great big grown-up woman and asked, "Don't you feel a little stupid right now?"

I so hope Doug will be on JM's new show.

The last plaintiff with the laptop computer case: This was kind of boring, but we got The Levin saying, "It's the case of the Laptop Dance". I'm glad to still have the opportunity to say, "Fuck you, Levin, you slimy, vulgar, raddled little troll."

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I'll just ramble on.

Poor Mr. Levitsky, chiseler extraordinaire, who told Doug that the verdict against him was "painful" and made his "heart hurt" after he damaged P's car and refused to pay. Maybe he meant that being shown up as a liar made his heart hurt. Probably not, as he continued to lie and insist he never touched P's car.

There's a video showing his many, many attempts to park his Pacifica - as JM called it, a "44-pt turn" -  but JM shouldn't believe her lying eyes. Maybe it's not even his car in the video! He says he arrived between 6:45 and 6:50 and the video starts at 6:49 but that means nothing! It was probably someone else who arrived at exactly the same time who also drives a white Pacifica! He had no damage to his car! Oh, well, except he was forced to admit did but that was from a long time ago even though his scratches had the silver paint from P's car in them. A smaller veehickle may be the answer for Def.

He was visiting a friend who is 76 years old! <insert major digressions about said friendship> Do litigants think if they digress and meander enough that a judge will forget her initial question? They were talking! His friend is an expert at accident reconstruction except he's not, but the scratches didn't line up according to non-expert friend.

P was asking for a measly 760$ to fix the scratches on his 2018 Mercedes but Levitsky will deny to his dying breath that he ever touched the car. 760$ for P.

Then we had the prevaricating Tracy vs prevaricating plumbing contractor Shaun. I lost interest.

"Prevaricate" sounds so much more delicate than "lie", just as "incarcerated" sounds better than "in the slammer" and "intoxicated" is more polite than "piss drunk". Ah, a rose by any other name...

I skipped ahead on this but JM ruled for P, awarded her 400$, and made sure to tell Douglas how it pained her to award the lying, motor-mouthed woman anything. May the best liar win!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This past week's new episodes have been uniformly awful.  Yesterday's litigants, Jack and Bobby (no, not the Kennedys), were two idiots who refused to answer questions and were arguing over nonsense.  Why was that case a whole, insufferable hour?  I want that hour of my life back.  I am suing The People's Court for $5,000 for wasting my time and pain and suffering. 

Recap to explain my contempt: Plaintiff, pompous, full of himself, long winded Jack, used defendant, unresponsive, blinking Bobby, to do his lawn care.  Jack did not like Bobby's invoice methods, so he paid in advance to avoid the invoices.  Since he paid in advance, nobody is clear as to what the charges were going to be.  Then Jack used Bobby's workers, one of whom had become a personal friend of Jack's, who used Bobby's tools, to do a side job of mulching his lawn.  Bobby found out and got mad, so he stopped doing Jack's lawn.  Jack took offense that Bobby considered the workers his.  Jack, therefore, wants his money back that he prepaid.  Bobby is countersuing for rental of the tools.  Problem is that Jack didn't use the tools and they never had an agreement about tool rental.  Jack is also suing for his time in preparing his case thus making a small recovery a large recovery.  End result, Jack got most of what he prepaid back.  They were both pieces of work, who did not deserve an hour of air time. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1

Recap to explain my contempt: Plaintiff, pompous, full of himself, long winded Jack, used defendant, unresponsive, blinking Bobby, to do his lawn care. 

OMG. That old fart plaintiff ("I'm a very meticulous guy. I'm a very picky guy") and the Def., Blinky, were both temperamentally incapable of giving a straight answer to any simple question. We got, "I was in the armed forces so I heard profanity but I don't use it" and more interminable rambling and blah blah blah.

They did not deserve even the usual fifteen minutes of fame, let alone a whole hour. JM says, "I was warned about you two", probably by the person who took their statements and had to spend hours trying to winnow down to one page the info dump of crap they spewed. Only Douglas is amused.

The day before, with the absentee landlord Def, "Neil" who shafted the Plaintiffs (who didn't look as though they can afford to subsidize Neil's Florida lifestyle) by refusing to give them their 1600$ deposit back, was even worse IMO. I hated the grinning, lying, smirking, sleazebag Def with the carefully cultivated stubble (maybe he thinks he looks like Crockett from "Miami Vice"? No, you don't, you portly dipshit) as much as I do Levin. I think JM detested him too.

He - who also cannot give a straight answer - lives in Naples, didn't keep P's deposit in a separate, interest-bearing account, and obviously spent it, probably when his property got flattened by the hurricane. It's not his fault! He didn't know about any of these silly rules, like sending an itemized list to the Ps about why he was keeping all their money. Ps got double their deposit back from the slimy hustler.

Doug in the hall tells him, "The judge really gave you a hard time in there".  Neil babbles double talk, using poor grammar and ruining the suave image he thinks he projects.

Doug finishes him off with, "Well, it was interesting watching you squirm a bit."

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Jack took offense that Bobby considered the workers his.

I forgot that part! Yes, Bobby called them "his" workers, which Jack took to mean that Bobby considered them slaves or chattel, so Jack was highly indignant and offended since he doesn't believe in human bondage. 😆

• Like 7

So, like, are litigants "basically" trying to outdo each other in absurdity? If so today's P just might be a contender for a place in the top ten.

He's all cool and savvy. He lives in Los Angeles, but in case the whole place collapses and rents go even higher, he basically (basically basically basically basically "I basically called him"??) wants a more affordable residence to which he can retreat so buys a fixer-upper in Maryland.

Good idea, except he seems to have no idea that there are probably tons of handymen in MD who would be very happy to work under the table, who actually have tools with them, and know all the local places where they can find what's needed for the job.

Believe it or not, P pays for airfare and a hotel to fly a handyman from LA to MD to work on the place. 

P and his "soul mate" thought it was a brilliant plan. Sadly, it is not, as P says the handyman, who at least says "basically" fewer times than the P, does nothing at all. P has cameras set up at the home and he says the handyman worked maybe two hours in all the time he was there.

Handyman says he didn't have his tools with him, (he could hardly take them all on the plane)P didn't leave him the tools he promised, and nothing else was arranged the way it was supposed to be.

Def. says he expected to have the fixtures - faucets, toilets, flooring, etc - that P wanted to be installed on site but those were not there either and it wasn't his job to choose them. Meanwhile, Def is having an all-expense paid trip to MD. Hey, why not? They have texts, but not ON them. Handyman's phone "went down" or something, which is the best excuse after "I'm a single mother". Anyway, P wants back every cent he foolishly spent on this super-dumb debacle, something like 2,400$ dollars. He gets back one day's pay for the handyman - 242$ IIRC. In the hall, P babbles about how unfair the verdict is and Def gives us "It is what it is." Quel surprise.

Plaintiff was freaking me out with the eye thing:

felixeyes.gif

• Like 5

I think the 'bring your own handyman to Maryland' case had to be a scam because who would do that?  They're probably buddies who came up with this 'story' to try to get money from the show.  Even if one doesn't know any local handyman, both Lowes and Home Depot have referral programs.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

"Tantrum Over Tires"

This case is goofy.   Shakeema Settles is suing because her belligerent ex Dion Dawson wouldn't accept that she broke up with him and he slashed her tires 5 times.  Settles was dating this guy, but suspected that he wasn't broken up with the woman he was living with - he says they were just friends, so she broke up.  Settles said he was jealous that she may be seeing other men and showed up at her door after they broke up.  When she refused to let him in, he threw garbage at it, then texted her that she will be "a target".  Plaintiff got a protection order.  Shortly after she is finding her tires slashed.   

Dawson is at least 45 years old but is dressed in a football jersey like he just finished a quick game with the kids in the park.  He has a nasty attitude and when JM asks him for his side of the case, all he can say is that the plaintiff is "goofy" and "she knows what she did that got him to the point".  This guy is a loose cannon and is too stupid to find the words to explain why they broke up, other than goofy.  We learn that he paid her $500, which he says was for the tires.  Settles says that was to repay an earlier loan.   

Dawson gets agitated when JM demands more info about the relationship, then he has a bleeped outburst and JM throws him out of court.

Plaintiff has video from her apartment security system of a figure slashing her times and JM rules in her favor.

Edited by patty1h
  • Like 7

JM asks P in the tire-slashing case something I wonder about so often while watching this: "What attracted you to HIM?" Like, basically, WTF??

P says her former loverboy, Goofy, wasn't like this at first. Right. I'm sure this lop-eared, inarticulate, vicious, vile primitive with zero self-control (to the extent that he made JM sick and was tossed) was a paragon of virtue before and they enjoyed many happy, loving, romantic hours together.  His choice of courtroom apparel was interesting.

OR we just have the usual woman so terminally desperate for a warm body (one who was "messin'" and "dealin'" with her and whatever other sad, desperate woman he has) they'll take just about anything.

"He's an animal", JM informs P. Sorry, JM. I've had many animals and none of them slashed my tires, hurled garbage at my door, threatened me, or treated me like a "target."

I must commend the P on somehow going against the tide for litigants and avoiding the usual "I found out I was preggo".

I couldn't stick with the next case. P finds a contractor/handyman or something on CL, of course. We see that def, John, a bug-eyed, fugly creep, truly has a "type". (not knocking that since I do as well) P and John's woman are practically twins.

P didn't need to lie to get her money back yet she changes the story three times within a minute:
"He said he had a dream about me".

"He said he had a sexual dream about me." (I was expecting some sexual stuff.)

"He said he had a dream about US."

Def texted P that she should be there the next time he worked since he wanted to get to know her better. JM forces John's woman to admit that's a little "weird" and that she (JM) would find it weird if her husband texted such things to another woman - as if Judge John would ever have the nerve to do so. 😄

And then P wants all her money back, plus what it will cost to hire someone else to do the job. JM is never big on greedy people trying to get something for free.

I'm assuming P got some money back but I don't know how much and don't care. Keep dredging for strangers to work in your homes, people, and supply us with these cases.

None of the contractors I've had in my home ever wanted to get to know me better, admitted to having dreams about me or threatened to send me 100 texts. Maybe I need to start finding them on CL, so I can feel better about myself.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1

Judge Milian was interviewed on the 'Tamron Hall Show' this morning.  Discussed the new show coming in the fall.  Judge John will be on the new show.  The daughters (each claiming to be the favorite) appeared in video clips.

The full interview is uploaded to the 'Tamron Hall Show' YouTube Channel:

Judge Marilyn Milian’s Next Chapter After 22 Years of Hosting “People’s Court”

Edited by Bazinga
The interview is now uploaded on The Tamron Hall Show YouTube Channel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I just saw the Tamron Hall show. So excited to hear the Marilyn (and John)will be back in the fall. I’ve noticed that the episode description for the THS is off by a day. I saw the description showing Charlene Tilton but saw the snippet with Judge M and so glad tat I did so I could watch. I also noticed that the THS does rerun in the wee hours on an affiliate channel.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1