Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

MM's ruling in favor of the landlord of the illegal place made me scratch my head.  How did she twist her logic to make that come out that way?

In this case, maybe she won because the dwelling was not  illegal and subletting also not actually illegal, but just against the rules of the co-op and the co-op must take action against her? Anyway, her little secret is not a secret anymore.

10 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

My stomach lurched when the Howard Sprague lookalike stripped off his shirt to reveal pounds of jiggly hairy dough all the while asking the landlady if he should take off his pants. Thankfully the defendant said no but watching these two that wasn’t a given. 

"Howard Sprague". heh! I guess it could have been worse - he could have ditched the pants too or we could have seen HER stripping.

Us, watching this vile display:

clockwork423.jpg

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

MM's ruling in favor of the landlord of the illegal place made me scratch my head.  How did she twist her logic to make that come out that way?

"Hey, Mr. Plaintiff . . . I had to look at creepy videos of you that were the opposite of what you said happened.  That's gonna cost ya, Creepo."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The nephew was a needy mooching child, who leeches on his grandmothers and cannot support himself, financially or emotionally; add to that an unhealthy fixation on his dead mother (that shrine!). The uncle was no better: the way he announced the nana's death, turning squarely to the defendant and telling him bluntly about it is a clear sign that he wanted it to sting, hard.

If we are to believe his testimony , other relatives knew about the death, but no one bothered to tell the nephew? Very strange dynamics in that family. I am glad I do not know any like it.

• Love 3

For the life of me, I could not figure out the family tree in the first case. It seemed there was an endless chain of grandmas and great grandmas, and ex-sister-in-laws.  Still trying to figure out how the plaintiff was related to him - which was identified as his 'grand nephew', so how was his grandmother the ex-sister in law ? And the uncle mentioned his mother was the guys grandmother. Huh?

All I know is the guy was pretty lucky to still have his great-grandma up to the age of 23. 

As for JM, I think she enjoys playing Dr. Phil more than being a judge. They should change the format for her and give her a 'Dr. Phil type talk show'. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

For the life of me, I could not figure out the family tree in the first case. It seemed there was an endless chain of grandmas and great grandmas, and ex-sister-in-laws.  Still trying to figure out how the plaintiff was related to him - which was identified as his 'grand nephew', so how was his grandmother the ex-sister in law ? And the uncle mentioned his mother was the guys grandmother. Huh?

All I know is the guy was pretty lucky to still have his great-grandma up to the age of 23. 

As for JM, I think she enjoys playing Dr. Phil more than being a judge. They should change the format for her and give her a 'Dr. Phil type talk show'. 

I think their family may use great-grandma and grandma interchangeably (I know some that do). So it's really the kid's great-grandma, but everyone calls her Grandma. And that the "uncle" is actually a great-uncle. That could make the Grandma he's living with an ex sister in law.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

For the life of me, I could not figure out the family tree in the first case. It seemed there was an endless chain of grandmas and great grandmas, and ex-sister-in-laws. 

It reminded me of that old song, "How I Became My Own Grandfather."

Today we get the strange case of the "non-distracting car mirror" for which plaintiff wants the car wash to pay him 1,000$ because their equipment broke the mirror. Car wash has a huge sign that states they are not responsible for mirrors etc at all for cars over 5 years old. Eighteen-year-old Mercedes is way over the time limit. Plaintiff declares those signs were never there. Actually he finally admits he just never bothered reading them. 1000$  not happening. Next. He keeps whining to Doug-in-the-Hall. Doug doesn't give a rat's butt.

Another freak show, in which slobby plaintiff, who looks like he's been sleeping on a park  bench- I kept wishing JM would tell him to stop lying on the podium - is suing scary-looking def for his security deposit even though he left without giving a 30 day notice. Def claims he broke the washing machine. It was 8 years old but she wants him to pay for a brand-new one and a 3-year warranty. I guess the store saw her coming with that ridiculous extended warranty! There must be some examples of misfit, mismatched, weirdo roommates where it all works out fine, but we never see those ones. Verdict: The washing machine broke while he was using it and that does not mean he broke it. He has to pay def for the month of rent. Of course no one has any evidence of any kind or receipts for anything, rent paid, etc.

Then we had the most annoying, hyper plaintiff ever, suing some floor guy for scratching her 7K stainless refrigerator when def's worker was doing her floors. Def agrees to pay for it because he thought it could be buffed out, until he learns the new door will cost 2500$ and then decides the worker with the equipment couldn't have done the damage. He even went to the trouble of bringing the back-pack vacuum, which plaintiff used to demonstrate what worker did, and also brought a 4" square piece of stainless steel which JM wasn't interested in. He says he only agreed to pay for for fixing the door because he wouldn't get paid for the job unless he did. Whatever. JM found the overly-animated, motor-mouthed plaintiff a total PITA and had to scream at her to make her shut up, but still awarded her the 2500$.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Then we had the most annoying, hyper plaintiff ever, suing some floor guy for scratching her 7K stainless refrigerator when def's worker was doing her floors. 

So Roseann Rosannadanna has a Miele refrigerator.  Hmm.

And if I were a betting woman I’d say her son has a cholesterol level somewhere in the 400’s.  And he plays a clarinet.  Definitely a clarinet.

32 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

And if I were a betting woman I’d say her son has a cholesterol level somewhere in the 400’s

Oh, that poor unfortunate looking child. 😕

I'm trying to imagine what would make a fridge cost 7K. What miraculous things can it possibly do for that price, besides keep food cold?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Then we had the most annoying, hyper plaintiff ever, suing some floor guy for scratching her 7K stainless refrigerator when def's worker was doing her floors. Def agrees to pay for it because he thought it could be buffed out, until he learns the new door will cost 2500$ and then decides the worker with the equipment couldn't have done the damage. He even went to the trouble of bringing the back-pack vacuum, which plaintiff used to demonstrate what worker did, and also brought a 4" square piece of stainless steel which JM wasn't interested in. He says he only agreed to pay for for fixing the door because he wouldn't get paid for the job unless he did. Whatever. JM found the overly-animated, motor-mouthed plaintiff a total PITA and had to scream at her to make her shut up, but still awarded her the 2500$.

The defendant was a handsome guy. I loved his sexy accent - I think it was Swiss, I may be wrong. 

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I think their family may use great-grandma and grandma interchangeably (I know some that do). So it's really the kid's great-grandma, but everyone calls her Grandma. And that the "uncle" is actually a great-uncle. That could make the Grandma he's living with an ex sister in law.

Sure...I guess? 😂 Thanks for explaining, but I'm still confused in the family tree. It must be one merry Christmas  season in that house ! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

Sure...I guess? 😂 Thanks for explaining, but I'm still confused in the family tree. It must be one merry Christmas  season in that house ! 

Oh yeah, those people got some issues! 🙂 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

So Roseann Rosannadanna has a Miele refrigerator.

Nothing is too good or too expensive when some bargain-basement pretentious people want to impress their neighbours and relatives.

She was a most annoying litigant, but of course JM found her adorable and gave her full value for the replacement door, even though the fridge was still functional and it was just a matter of the door not being as pretty as before (and thus looking less pretentious).

As for the car wash case, I was too retracted... I mean distracted by the plaintiff's stupidity to find it very interesting. I think the show should invest in a special holding cell where they could send litigants like him who waste the court's time with their unfounded and arbitrary theories, who fail to listen to arguments and questions from other people, and who refuse to admit facts even when visual evidence is presented to them. Just for an afternoon or two.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Oh, that poor unfortunate looking child. 😕

I'm trying to imagine what would make a fridge cost 7K. What miraculous things can it possibly do for that price, besides keep food cold?

Some of them are connected to wifi and you can see what is in them via an app so you can tell whether you need milk while you are shopping. 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Some of them are connected to wifi and you can see what is in them via an app so you can tell whether you need milk while you are shopping. 

But is that really worth 7 k$ for a refrigerator? I hope that at that price it at least keeps the food cold and that the freezer part works.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

But is that really worth 7 k$ for a refrigerator? I hope that at that price it at least keeps the food cold and that the freezer part works.

I have a distant relative who has a SubZero refrigerator.  She and her husband paid a little over 7k for it.  It's a nice built in machine.  Everything is touch...ice cubes, filters, etc.  

So, when we visited them to see their new kitchen they pointed out the SubZero, we commented that "it's nice"....I mean what else do you say about a hunk of overpriced stainless steel?  Anyway, my cousin mentioned that as she was admiring her new fridge, the installer said he had just installed a DOUBLE SIZED SubZero in another part of town.  Well, she now has to bring that up every now and then.  My cousin isn't as grand over her fridge after hearing someone else has a double sized.  How dare they!!

My point being in this long winded post is that I agree with Florinaldo and believe Roseann Roseannadana probably only has the refrigerator for status.  It does nothing more than my refrigerator that came with the house but she feels it elevates her worth.   Wonder what she'd do if she realized there are much more expensive Miele models out there?  Would she too become deflated that she doesn't have the "best"?

I also wonder if the same situation occurred with my Whirlpool would JMM be so willing to grant a new door?  Or was she impressed with the plaintiff so much that she lost sight of the fair judgement?

I also think I'm giving way too much thought into this case.  But it did provide a few laughs.  

Edited by PsychoKlown
31 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

Wonder what she'd do if she realized there are much more expensive Miele models out there?

I just looked the models up. There is one for 18K - for a fridge! For that price it better be like a Transformer and turn into a helicopter or a race car when needed. I tried to find the features, but the page is blank. Maybe if you have to ask, you don't deserve it.

I went to buy a new stove recently for the first time in 21 years. Did I want this feature, or that, or stainless, convection, LED lights or WiFi (or maybe the wifi was for my new washer? I said NO then too) or something and blah blah. "NO!" I yelled. "I want a white stove that will cook food. Period!" Salesguy looked at me as if I were being outrageously perverse. Big advantage is that the cost of non-trendy white keeps going down.

12 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

As for the car wash case, I was too retracted... I mean distracted by the plaintiff's stupidity to find it very interesting.

He was like the  other "No evidence, but I have a theory" carwash crackpot who insisted the car wash was responsible for some rod or something breaking on his ancient hoopty because if you have a very old car that conks out, the last place you visited in it must be held responsible.

12 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

I think the show should invest in a special holding cell where they could send litigants like him who waste the court's time with their unfounded and arbitrary theories, who fail to listen to arguments and questions from other people, and who refuse to admit facts even when visual evidence is presented to them.

I still like my idea of a trapdoor under each litigant. If the stupidity and illogical arguments reach a certain point on a scale, Douglas gets to pull the handle and drop 'em. "Thaaank you, Douglas!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

13 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I still like my idea of a trapdoor under each litigant. If the stupidity and illogical arguments reach a certain point on a scale, Douglas gets to pull the handle and drop 'em. "Thaaank you, Douglas!"

Right into a pack of hungry hyenas.

And one more thought while I finish my Saturday coffee....while I understand the reasoning behind her request to be called Judge why does she think it's perfectly acceptable to call litigants "sweetheart" or "sweetie" particularly when she's being quite sarcastic to them? 

Even Judge Judy (I think...it's been awhile since I watched her show) glosses over the "Miss Judy's and would never call any litigants sweetheart.  She did however, call them losers and hustlas but never sweetheart.  

I don't look at her facebook page but I wonder if anyone has ever called her on it.  Respect for the judge...absolutely, but if the litigants only faux pas  in the courtroom is to refer to her as Miss, I think a short statement reminding them to call her Judge would suffice rather than a sarcastic rant followed by the word sweetheart.

Coffee's finished and so am I.   Enjoy the day my friends...it's snowing in Boston.  We have about three inches on the ground.  

5 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Even Judge Judy (I think...it's been awhile since I watched her show) glosses over the "Miss Judy's and would never call any litigants sweetheart.

Yes, she ignores it. She even ignored it when one litigant called her "Judy". Byrd, however, took exception to that and interrupted the proceedings to saunter over to give the litigant a verbal ass whooping. Yay, Byrd!

JM has her hot spots, one of them being when any male litigant uses the word "girl". I have to admit even I may call very young women "girls" because, well, 18-year-olds look like girls to me. Frankly I take more exception to litigants using the word "females" - I only use that word in reference to animals -  to describe the lovely and charming ladies in their lives, but each to his own.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Right into a pack of hungry hyenas.

Interesting addition to my suggestion of a hodling cell for idiot litigants. But I have another  option, much more punishing.

They could be locked up with JJ (I know she's from a rival show) so she can regale them for hours with her exalted view of herself, peppering her talk with her favourites "clever" repartees ("my parent did not send me to college for seven years for me to be here with you", "It's not an audition, and I already have the job", etc.), as well as hearing her describing how "her" America should work and enlightening the prisoners with her knowledge of science, car accidents reconstruction and the latest technology. If she's not available, an audio montage on a repeat loop would be an alternative. Her fake cackle when she thinks she has scored a "gotcha!" could be sprinkled in at strategic points as a good substitute for the hyenas.

Or would that be cruel and unusual punishment?

Edited by Florinaldo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

On 4/17/2020 at 7:55 PM, ThePurpleArcher said:

The P is the D's great-uncle.  The woman they were living with is the D's grandmother (relation to P: ex-sister in law).  The woman who died is the D's great-grandmother.  In North American culture (perhaps that's an issue?), we don't usually add the "Great" designation, we just say Uncle Bob, Aunt Jane, or Grandma.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, PsychoKlown said:

So Roseann Rosannadanna has a Miele refrigerator.  Hmm.

Who says that TPC is not educational?  All this time, I thought it was pronounced "Miley" - like Cyrus, the twerker.  Clearly I don't own such an expensive appliances or I would know how to pronounce it. 🙂

We all know that when Roseann Rosannadanna catches this episode on air, she is going to have a coronary because her lipstick was smeared all over her tooth and NOBODY told her.  😄 

On 4/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, AngelaHunter said:

I just looked the models up. There is one for 18K - for a fridge! For that price it better be like a Transformer and turn into a helicopter or a race car when needed. I tried to find the features, but the page is blank. Maybe if you have to ask, you don't deserve it.

LOL about the Transformers.  It's like the old joke - if you have to ask how much it costs, then you can't afford it.  Some fancy fridges allow you to change the temperature in different parts of the fridge, but honestly, there does not seem to be a good reason for them to cost THAT much.

My friend's son banged one of their kitchen cupboard doors open on their fridge and dented it.  They also had to get a new door, but since they paid with Visa, Visa covered the cost.  It was only about $400 as opposed to $2.5K, but there was no mention of buffing out either.  I'm not sure that's a buffing-out-kind-of-thing.

I went to buy a new stove recently for the first time in 21 years. Did I want this feature, or that, or stainless, convection, LED lights or WiFi (or maybe the wifi was for my new washer? I said NO then too) or something and blah blah. "NO!" I yelled. "I want a white stove that will cook food. Period!" Salesguy looked at me as if I were being outrageously perverse. Big advantage is that the cost of non-trendy white keeps going down.

It's funny, but I'm not a fan of stainless and keep buying white kitchen appliances to replace my old dead ones.  The one holdout is my stove which has been here in the house since the beginning with us - 26 years.  It's an old school white stove with the spiral burners and all.  I could afford to buy a new fancier one, but I keep asking myself: Why?  This one still works just fine.  Replace a fuse, replace an element, it keeps on going.  I just hate the idea of junking something that still works perfectly fine - especially because the appliances are not built to last these days.  I could spend that money on something more interesting.

Edited to add: On a sad note, I think that this coming week will be the last week of new episodes for quite some time.  After that, the latest batch were supposed to be filmed on April 11.  I am quite sure that the show would have shut production down no matter how much Levin might hate losing the money.

Edited by aemom
Some stuff was duplicated
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, Florinaldo said:

Interesting addition to my suggestion of a hodling cell for idiot litigants. But I have another  option, much more punishing.

They could be locked up with JJ (I know she's from a rival show) so she can regale them for hours with her exalted view of herself, peppering her talk with her favourites "clever" repartees ("my parent did not send me to college for seven years for me to be here with you", "It's not an audition, and I already have the job", etc.), as well as hearing her describing how "her" America should work and enlightening the prisoners with her knowledge of science, car accidents reconstruction and the latest technology. If she's not available, an audio montage on a repeat loop would be an alternative. Her fake cackle when she thinks she has scored a "gotcha!" could be sprinkled in at strategic points as a good substitute for the hyenas.

Or would that be cruel and unusual punishment?

Scathingly brilliant.

One case on this morning's rerun is so strange   The defendant works for some source of donated cars, and they resell them.      The plaintiff bought her third car from the defendant, and says she's having issues with the car, and returns it to be fixed at the dealer/charity.     For a year the woman hasn't picked the car up, after telling the dealer to resell it,     Of the three cars plaintiff bought from the dealer, one previous one was bought by her, and given back to the dealer to resell for her.  

The woman still doesn't want her car back, even though she's still on the title, the car is driveable, and she can resell it.     However, the defendant says that model of BMW is a hard sell, and they've been trying to resell it for the year.    Plaintiff is given one week to pick up the car, or 30 days later the dealer can junk it, or have it declared abandoned, and sell or salvage.  The hall-terview with poor Doug is hysterical.    The plaintiff is such a fool.     

Levin says the dealer towed the car to the plaintiff's house, left the keys on the seat, and left it there. 

(Yes, with today's high tech appliances, you can have them hooked up to your Wifi, virtual assistant (like Alexa from Amazon), and have your Alexa turn on the stove, the dishwasher, check for inventory in the fridge, turn on the washer, and dryer, etc.  There's even a fridge that has a glass door, and you tap it twice, and can look inside without opening the door. )     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

OMG! In late February, I went to buy a new refrigerator, dishwasher and stove for my kitchen (mind you, I don't cook but I figured I need a functioning stove / oven these days, and my dishwasher and fridge are not up to energy efficiency), my last purchase of these items were in 2001. I skipped the 'bbig box' stores and went to a local family-owned appliance store that's been around for 75 years.

I'm single male in my mid-50s, and told the salesman (early 40s?) that I don't cook so I need the minimal in a stove, and minimal in refrigerator and dishwasher - just energy efficient.  No bells and whistles.  He understood (said he was in the same situation as me) and showed me the simplest, most basic models  - and even explained these are the models that last forever. The more bells and whistles, the higher the price, and the more repairs over time. (He wasl also kind enough to tell me to come back after Mother's Day, because they start their 'annual sale' the week before Memorial Day and the prices are slashed. 

My problem is I want all white, and he told me those would be more money - they have to be ordered, because they're no longer popular. The popular colors are stainless steel and black - that's what is in now. No one is asking for white (like they did for decades) and now they need to special order from the manufacturer (and it can't be guaranteed) and it's an extra $100-150 for each appliance. I'm opting for stainless steel (though I think it makes the space look smaller - white makes it all look bigger). 

I just hope I see a decrease in my electric bill - supposedly the fridge and dishwasher are what's keeping my bill on the higher side (according to an 'energy inspection' I had done from my utility company). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

I skipped the 'bbig box' stores and went to a local family-owned appliance store that's been around for 75 years.

Me too! I always go to the family-owned business in my area. However, since the son took it over service has definitely slipped (although the quality and choice of their furnishings remains high) and the service is why people go to local small businesses. If you don't have that, may as well go to big box. Anyway I've replaced most of my appliances in the last 5 - 6 years, always in white and they never cost more than trendy black or stainless. In fact it's the opposite.

How I wish I had the chutzpah and nerve of so many of our litigants:

Today we got a wonderful low-life squatter/scammer/money grubber plaintiff, suing his slack-jawed, idiotic landlord for a bunch of nonsense even though he didn't pay rent in his illegal basement apartment for at least two years. He decided he no longer needed to pay his 800$/mnth.  Both litigants were supremely unlikable. Landlord let plaintiff squat there because, well, he was getting divorced and he has a "humble heart" and didn't want to be unkind to his squatter and he couldn't afford going to court to get the parasite out and yadda yadda. Does housing court cost money and would the cost come to more than 2 years of unpaid rent? I really don't know. I'm thinking def didn't want to go to court because the fact that he was illegally renting might come up.

Anyway, JM gets out her handy calculator and comes up with 19,200$ plaintiff saved with his squatting, yet he has the unmitigated gall to sue now for his internet and heat being cut off and for def. assaulting him FOUR years ago. JM is scathing in her dismissal of his claim, which prompts him to conclude to Doug in the Hall that "She's crazy." Piss off, scammer. Go find another basement in which to squat after you're done mooching off whoever took you in.

Old guy who looks at least 80 (but might not be), and his wife who looks way younger (but might not be), suing defendant for breaching a contract to sell old guy his limo business. Problem is that old guy can't afford to buy the business. He pays the first 1K deposit, then somehow scrapes up another 9K on credit cards to pay the second deposit. He ends up in hospital for a quintuple bypass and invites def to come there to finish the agreement. Def doesn't want to do business in the ICU, so doesn't show up. Old guy still has no money, so somehow gets his daughter to cash in 40K of her retirement fund(!!) to give to Dad. 40K is not what def. agreed to, but P says he was trying to "accomodate" def. Yeah, right. Def wanted the entire balance of the 109K plaintiff agreed to pay, but P refuses to secure this bank loan because the interest rate is too high (how many banks would give someone his age such a big loan at all, let alone without charging astronomical rates?), so backs away from the deal. P gets the 9K payment reversed on his credit card and is here suing for the 1K he says def. still owes him - after HE crapped out of the deal! JM is very sympathetic to P's health problems but incensed at the nerve he has to sue for that 1K. She awards def. 2,500$. In the hall, P states he feels the judge was wrong, and his wife pipes up to say she agrees with that. Life is so unfair!

Finally, we have P who has a woman friend he's known for 25 years. He often gives her money to help her out and never asked to be repaid. Then ladyfriend asks him to give money to her worthless, POS son for a car so he can get to work. P is here suing son for repayment. P sadly gave D a debit card before he (P) went on vacation and told him to use it for whatever he needs to get his car running. What a mistake. Def racks up nearly 2500$ on the card and refuses to pay it back, because he never asked for it! Seems it wasn't for car repairs at all but because the cops stopped him and his registration was expired and then they smelled weed and then found weed in the car, so it got impounded. Oops, he also has a bunch of tickets he never paid. He is a short-assed, round-headed, stupid, smart-mouthed 33-year old man and loser, not some dopey teenager, who has a pathetic desperate little mutt of a  wife who thought he was a prize (or maybe that she couldn't do any better) and bred with him.

JM: "You piece of garbage." Amen. We know she was thinking, "Piece of shit".

The piece of garbage thought that was amusing and smirks, "Thank you."

I don't know what the POG had to say in the hall. Enough was enough. Looking at him was making me ill, so I skipped whatever BS he spewed to Doug.

• Love 4

I don't know what the POG had to say in the hall. Enough was enough. Looking at him was making me ill, so I skipped whatever BS he spewed to Doug.

Doug:  "Don't you feel embarrassed?"

POG:  "I didn't ask him for the money."  (Rinse, repeat.  That was his answer to Doug about everything.)

• Love 2

Thank you AngelaHunter for the excellent recap   You explained in such vivid detail I can almost smell the mold seeping through the cinderblock walls in the first case and see the plaintiff’s wife with cats-eyeglasses (on a beaded chain) and totin’ a chunky pocketbook as she lags behind his shady ass.   

I have no idea if my visions are true or not.  My station didn’t show TPC today because it’s Patriots Day here and usually we’re “treated” to watching the professionals run the marathon as well as hipster dufuses (or is it dufi?) who run once a year and seriously look like Christ dragging the cross over the finish line. Instead they showed a past race. Yeah, like that’s going to make me forget I’m cooped up in my home...with a beat up old Whirlpool refrigerator when other people have 18k Miele’s and double width SubZeros!

Here’s hoping tomorrow brings TPC complete with all the crazies  I might just go to bed now so tomorrow comes faster  

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

I can almost smell the mold seeping through the cinderblock walls in the first case

Smarmy landlord actually had video footage of the squatter vandalizing the boiler so they got no heat, but he no longer has it because that happened years ago and he still didn't move to evict him even then. That "humble, kind heart" you know, and he still hasn't gotten the boiler fixed. His new girlfriend is a treat. Oh, I forgot one of the best parts. After smarmy landlord finally decides to give squatter notice to GTFO, squatter, in retaliation - even though he's still living there - calls code enforcement to snitch that the basement has all kinds of defects. Code enforcement sees it's an illegal dwelling, so those people ordered him out. The idiot in effect evicted himself.  And he thinks JM is "crazy"?

1 hour ago, PsychoKlown said:

I’m cooped up in my home...with a beat up old Whirlpool refrigerator when other people have 18k Miele’s and double width SubZeros!

Well, I have a Magic Chef fridge, but the bad part is that it's more than 25 years old. I can only hope it doesn't conk out now. If I have to buy one online it will probably be dumped outside my door.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

have no idea if my visions are true or not.  My station didn’t show TPC today because it’s Patriots Day

Same here. I get TPC on a Boston station and they showed past Boston Marathons, which hold absolutely no interest for me. Too bad since it sounds like a god TPC ep. But it will probably turn up in the morning reruns in the next few weeks, or even in the afternoon when new eps run out due to the pandemic.

As for appliances, I do not care for the look, but rather for functionality; SS or white is the same for me. And I do not need to pay for my fridge to be Bluetooth enabled or to be able to scan the Web. That's what I buy computers  for.

• Love 3

I like the look of stainless. I don't like the work that goes into keeping it shiny and fingerprint free. I'm looking for less work and not more. Also, stainless, and probably black, will go out of style sooner or later and it may become just as hard to find a new SS appliance to match your others as it became to find Avocado or Harvest Gold. I doubt that will ever happen with white.

Yesterday's ep will also probably show up on YT this week.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, I have a Magic Chef fridge, but the bad part is that it's more than 25 years old. I can only hope it doesn't conk out now. If I have to buy one online it will probably be dumped outside my door.

Some only do outside delivery now, but many appliance companies will do inside delivery, remove the old appliance.    The technicians wear gloves, and masks, and are very safe for the customers, and protect themselves. 

I love how Judge M. is the world expert on everything.   I just saw the rerun of the tenant who wanted the landlady or tenant's ex to hook up the electricity, after it was discovered that she has an outstanding electric bill of almost $5k.   JMM says there's no utility that will refuse to hook up utilities, by a non-tenant.   So the electric company is supposed to give electric service to a deadbeat that owes almost $5k?   My local utility won't do utility service for people who don't live in the home or apartment either.   They will send the bill, or let someone else pay the bill, or do autopay, but the account is still in the name of the tenant.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I like the look of stainless. I don't like the work that goes into keeping it shiny and fingerprint free.

I have a nice shiny black stove..... problem is to get that nice shiny look I have to use window cleaner after cleaning the sucker. Then, of course, as soon as I leave the kitchen one of the cats walls across it inspecting the kitchen, leaving paw prints😼😼😐

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

SRTouch is back!! Welcome back.:)

I really hate it when litigants are 100% right but then we see they are opportunistic money-grubbers mistaking small claims court for the lottery office.

Mother and daughter duo are suing def for losing their computer when he was given it to repair. Such a long case for nothing. Goofy def with silly douche-y hairdo loses or recycles the computer months after he got it. He contends that his tech spent 10 1/2 hrs working on it. Sure, he did. Of course Def has no evidence of that and it's just hearsay since the tech is not here.

But- plaintiff says she bought this old, used laptop for 200$ and now wants 2500$(!!) for the computer and wasted time and gas to drive to the computer store (she doesn't believe in phone calls or texts and must deal face-to-face because she's the union shop steward or something) and all the  photos beyond price that were on the laptop. I never get that. How can money replace those irreplaceable photos, anyway? Apparently these photos are worth exactly 1750$ but it's not as though they can be re-created. Whatever. JM asks 23-year-old college student daughter if it ever occured to her to back up all this precious data. Gee, even I back up my stuff and I'm obsolete. Daughter looks totally nonplussed at that question as though she'd never heard of such a thing as an external hard drive. Def has the messed-up hard drive here and plaintiffs get it back. 2500$ is what they gleefully set their sights on. 50$ is what they get for the shell of the old computer. 😄 No boe-nanza for them!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Judge ruled fairly,  IMO.

More than fairly. What is the empty husk of an old laptop worth, anyway?

I just watched the 3rd case. Clueless woman suing former landlord for her 1550$ deposit back. She didn't give him a 30 day'notice she was leaving because she wasn't sure the new place would be ready when wanted to move in. She gives him only 26 day's notice and still doesn't move out on Sept 30, but stays October first because that was more convenient for her. She also didn't pay a utility bill because she didn't know how to read the meter. All these things the landlord should just forgive because she's entitled. Landlord has a counterclaim, only because of how outrageous it it that dopey plaintiff sued him.  "You should have just left it alone", JM informs her as she awards def. the 260$ for the water bill.

"It is what it is", she declares in the hall. Doug wants to know if she wishes she hadn't sued. "No", she says. She's glad she did it so everyone will know "he just takes money from people." Yes, how scandalous, how heinous that a landlord wants rent money and expects people to give proper notice. Silly nitwit.

• Love 8

In the laptop case, I thought 50 $ was excessive. I believe they were negligent in leaving the computer at the shop and did not check back as to its status and were fudging the details of the story in their testimony. On the other hand, the  shop owner should keep better records about communications with customers and have them sign some form of contract or description of work to be done when he receives the merchandise.

They were given back the truly valuable part, i.e. the hard rive; if the data can't be recovered from it (which does happen) so be it, it's not the shop's fault. The explanation that being a union shop steward makes you adverse to e-mail or text is one of their several stupid excuses, like them not knowing about the need to back files up; for my part I like redundancy so I back up my computer on two different drives, while some crucial files are also copied to my laptop.

59 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

She's glad she did it so everyone will know "he just takes money from people."

The gall of that guy! Expecting to be paid the money he is owed for services provided. What is the world coming to?

I was surprised the entitled plaintiff did not identify as a SSM

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

I was surprised the entitled plaintiff did not identify as a SSM

True, but she did the next best thing and wore a big ol' cross right under her chin to make sure JM didn't miss it.  How dare that mean landlord not be more understanding of the situation of someone so pious?

In the laptop case, I thought 50 $ was excessive.

I thought so too, but now I think 50$ was more of a slap to someone wanting 50 times that amount than would be having their case dismissed. Even so, 10$ would have been better.

for my part I like redundancy so I back up my computer on two different drives, while some crucial files are also copied to my laptop.

A short while I opened a folder on my desktop that contained irreplaceable files  and it was empty. After I fought off my sickness and shock I scurried upstairs to my laptop and opened it with shaking fingers.  Sure enough my folder was there with all my files. Oh, the relief! Only then did I remember my external hard drive. Duh. But yeah, I'm kind of paranoid now too and would never trust single copies of my stuff on some old 200$ used computer that was probably loaded with trojans and viruses.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

A short while I opened a folder on my desktop that contained irreplaceable files  and it was empty. After I fought off my sickness and shock I scurried upstairs to my laptop and opened it with shaking fingers.  Sure enough my folder was there with all my files. Oh, the relief! Only then did I remember my external hard drive. Duh. But yeah, I'm kind of paranoid now too and would never trust single copies of my stuff on some old 200$ used computer that was probably loaded with trojans and viruses.

And it's so cheap and easy nowadays. I've been playing with 'puters since the 80s (my first was a Commodore Vic 20, and it was SOK neat when I could afford the cassette drive). Now, a 128gig micro sd card is dirt cheap - and I seriously doubt a $200 used laptop came with a hard drive that would fill up 128gigs

• Love 2

I have been drifting away from the court shows lately, and today's hair case is pushing me away a bit more. I am tired of women sitting in a chair for 12+ hours to get a $1,000+ hair style (almost all of which look like crap) and wanting all of their money back plus (usually) much more for emotional stress. I was also not impressed by the plaintiff's expert witness, the "locktician". First off, JM let him establish his expertise by just flapping his gums. He did present himself well, but he lost me when he said that the once the locks are in place, the natural hair "grows into" the extensions. Really? Hair grows only from the roots. Unless the extension is glued to the scalp, the growing hair will just push the extension along as it grows. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the extensions are fitted into a trellis at night so they are held in place and the natural hair pushes it way into the extensions, but I doubt it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

I have been drifting away from the court shows lately, and today's hair case is pushing me away a bit more. I am tired of women sitting in a chair for 12+ hours to get a $1,000+ hair style (almost all of which look like crap) and wanting all of their money back plus (usually) much more for emotional stress.

I'm with you. "Weave War" cases are usually on my no-watch list, just like animal cases. However it was such a novelty to hear litigants who could speak their own language properly I decided to watch this one. What a price for "beauty". Fourteen hours in a salon chair and 1100$ for to get somone else's hair locked or glued onto yours . A failed weave job WILL make you cancel your birthday party extravaganza, cause you immense mental anguish and suffering that is worth nine thousand dollars. BTW, I watched a YT documentary on where all this hair comes from. It was quite interesting.

1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

I was also not impressed by the plaintiff's expert witness, the "locktician".

Hey, the "loctitian" was the best part. It's a whole new profession and I predict there will soon be "Loctitian schools". Oh, wait. No. The best part was when plaintiff approached JM to show her what a great job the loctitian did on her new weave. The super-short skirt and sky-high stilettos in which she had trouble toddling around were to die for. She whines that def wouldn't let her look at herself before she left at 2:00a.m. and that there is not a single mirror anywhere. Except that def. shows a picture of plaintiff sitting in the chair right in front of - you guessed it - a big mirror. When it becomes apparent which way JM is going to rule, plaintiff starts major attitude in the form of duck lips, eye rolls and crossed arms.

Then we had plaintiff - who works for a living -  suing obnoxious ("Listen!" she tells JM) def and her goofy-looking b/f for 2500$ she loaned them for rent or whatever. Defs have money for all sorts of other things, including having a baby, but they decided plaintiff eventually told them it was a gift! This falls under the old "No good deed..." rule. Nasty, they were. Plaintiff? Stop keeping thousands of dollars in your underwear drawer. Fire and theft are possibilities.

Finally, very old man was living in some rooming house where he was continually abused by the manager. He was told he broke things he never broke, his military record was derided and all sorts of other things. He goes into the hospital for a month or so and his brother moves his stuff out of the place, but no one gave the landlord any notice. However he wants his deposit back. JM tells him he had to give notice. He says his brother did, but no proof of any kind is produced. He says he lives in New Jersey, where tenant/landlord laws apparently do not apply. JM informs him that they do, and he gets nothing. In the hall he tells Doug that JM is wrong. Doug counters that giving a 30 day notice is the law. No, it's not, plaintiff says and then leaves, presumably to go to Indonesia(? I forget) to live with his son. JM thanks him for his service, although we never learn in which war he served.

• Love 1

Let me get this straight...

Even though this is legally arbitration, the producers and JM want to give the impression they're in small claims court, and want the litigants to respect the procedures as a 'small claims court'. Got it...

SO the "locktition" witness stands up next to the litigant, doesn't give his name, and isn't sworn in ? Literally just stands up and walks over when summoned, and answered questions ? (At least he was eye-candy). 

And if the plaintiff is allergic to any kind of 'glue' in her scalp or near her scalp, etc. isn't it her responsibility to tell the stylist before they get started ????  It's like ordering dinner at a restaurant, eating the whole dinner, and then you find realize their was peanut sauce in the dinner - and you're allergic to peanut sauce. After you ate the dinner and paid. So you sue the restaurant - because you never told the server of your food allergy.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I am tired of women sitting in a chair for 12+ hours to get a $1,000+ hair style (almost all of which look like crap) and wanting all of their money back plus (usually) much more for emotional stress.

How can people (some men do it too) pay so much for ending up looking like an armadillo took a soft dump on their head?

Defendant's do was not better because the tiny tight braids were pulled back so far she looked as if she was in an advanced state of balding. Which may be the case, but why then make it even more apparent?

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Finally, very old man was living in some rooming house where he was continually abused by the manager.

Or so he says. He struck me as the type of old curmudgeon who uses his age and status as a veteran to bully people and take advantage of others by playing the victim, which probably includes lying.  He's also completely closed to opinions and facts that run counter to what he has decided is the truth (in Jersey at least).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

He struck me as the type of old curmudgeon who uses his age and status as a veteran to bully people and take advantage of others by playing the victim, which probably includes lying. 

I think he probably did break whatever he was accused of breaking. "How in tarnation does this danged thing work...oops."

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I figure it must be the Crimean War, or maybe even earlier. 

2 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

How can people (some men do it too) pay so much for ending up looking like an armadillo took a soft dump on their head?

Oh, hell. 😅🤣🤣

18 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I have been drifting away from the court shows lately, and today's hair case is pushing me away a bit more. I am tired of women sitting in a chair for 12+ hours to get a $1,000+ hair style (almost all of which look like crap) and wanting all of their money back plus (usually) much more for emotional stress

Not to mention, they want enough money to completely pay for the new hairdo.  So they want to get a $1,000+ hair style for free.

To quote JM, "Yeah.  That's not gonna happen."

Also . . . there's a forehead, which all of us have.  Then there's a fivehead, which is what we call a person with a VERY high forehead.  Then . . . for the first time . . . we saw a sixhead on the defendant in that case.

I'm not gonna have my hair done by a stylist whose own hairstyle screams, "You, too, can lose all your hair if I work on you."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Woman suing landlord for her 1500$ deposit: I really need to know where people get their nerve? Ignorance? Entitlement? Stupidity? Shamelessness? All of the above? If I had been her I would have slunk out of there quietly and just hoped I wouldn't be sued for havoc I had wreaked on the poor apartment.

The young landlord has most of his ducks in a row, with before and after pics. And what "after" pics! Doors off the hinges, gouges in the walls, an inch of grease over the stove, melted microwave, mirror smashed in the bathroom and chunks broken off a kitchen drawer. But that's not all, folks! Her son is fond of "Black and Milds" and throws ash everywhere and stubs out the butts on the woodwork. Daughter "likes stickers" so puts about 100 of them on the walls, ripping off the paint. The grandbaby likes to draw on the walls. What's the big deal? The front door deadbolt has been stolen and another cheap doorknob put in its place. Front door has been pried or kicked open - more than once - and the edges look like beavers were chewing on it. They couldn't find their keys, so what do you expect? She left a ton of shit in the yard too, because taking it with her or to the dump was not on her agenda. Yet, she thinks she's entitled to her deposit back. Oh, and the oven was a sickening disgrace.

JM asks how all this destruction happened. Plaintiff mostly doesn't know. Hey, the door just fell off its hinges. *Shrug*. The chunks came out of the drawer from opening and closing it! The mirror smashed itself.  Landlord couldn't provide receipts from his handyman, but just the cost of materials totaled well over the 1500$. Plaintiff gets nothing, of course. Seriously, I don't know why anyone wants to be a landlord. I'd rather have a pack of wild animals living in my house than most of the litigants we see here. How far can this shamelessness go? She stands there, looking not at all embarassed in the least at the revolting mess she and her gang left behind.

ETA: I forgot to  mention how Doug-in-the-Hall ragged on her about the trashed pigsty she left behind. She denies it of course and heads off down the corridor but Doug has to throw one last "It was a real mess", at her as she disappears from sight.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I saw part of the pig sty case, and that woman had no shame.    I love how if they couldn't find the key, they just kicked the door in, and apparently several times.    I've lived in some homes that needed work, but I've never had a door just fall off of the hinges.     I feel so sorry for the landlord.   You know the money he received didn't touch what that pack of awful people did to that home.    

I find the hair cases fascinating.    I can't believe how much people spend on a hair do, and how long they spend in the beauty salon chair.        I can't imagine being at a salon for many hours the way many of the plaintiffs are.  

With the microwave damage, I wonder if someone turned it on for a long time empty?    Or they put something with metal foil or other metal in the microwave?.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I saw part of the pig sty case, and that woman had no shame.    I love how if they couldn't find the key, they just kicked the door in, and apparently several times.    I've lived in some homes that needed work, but I've never had a door just fall off of the hinges.     I feel so sorry for the landlord.   You know the money he received didn't touch what that pack of awful people did to that home.    

We rented a very nice casita for three years - the same length of time that this pig and her piglets rented the defendant's apartment.  I loved that the landlord had pictures which were taken before the plaintiff moved in.  It was lovely.  We took pictures the day we moved in, and we took pictures the day we moved out.  They were very similar.

People who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. (Dr. Phil)

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I loved that the landlord had pictures which were taken before the plaintiff moved in.  It was lovely. 

It was immaculate. But the landlord is young and in the hall he said he was learning. I bet after seeing his property treated like a crack den he'll be more careful in his choice of tenants from now on, and make sure he has all his receipts.

I saw part of the pig sty case, and that woman had no shame. 

Honestly, if I were on national TV having pictures of the way I live and treat the property of others displayed for the world to see, I would literally shrivel and DIE of shame.

• Love 6

I love how if they couldn't find the key, they just kicked the door in, and apparently several times.

She shrugged off every example of damage as if they were all part of everyday life to be expected in any apartment she lives in. A hard lesson for the landlord, but I bet it will be a lasting one and that he will not make the same mistakes again. At least he got some money awarded to him.

• Love 4