Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Roseanne Gets the Chair

I have to say , I've seen many reboots with girl meets world being the corniest followed by fuller house . So I was expecting this one to be the same because I agree with Roseanne in that everything is just too PC these days and a lot of today's shows are suffering because of that . The writers just don't have the freedom they used to have to write whatever they want to write because they know they'll lose ratings / viewers if they say something that will offend a certain group of people . I go on the Friends discussion forum and everyone talks about how inappropriate a lot of the writing is about Various topics ... but in my opinion , their openness to write what they want is what made the show as funny as it was .. so I'm actually impressed by this reboot and I hope they continue to not care who they offend . It's probably one of the better reboots I've seen . 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

I don't mind if Jerry and Andy never appear in the show, but I do think the fact that Jackie has a son should be acknowledged.  I can also do without DJ and his family, Fred, Bev, Leon (and spouse), Chuck & Ann Marie, the loudmouth woman who worked at the Lunchbox (forgot her name) and many others.  I would rather see them concentrate on Dan, Roseanne, Jackie, Crystal, etc.  and less on Darlene's children. 

They should have made DJ a millenial who never moved out of the basement. Keep him as a weirdo.

I'm sure if they went this way he'd be given a lot more to do than his current storyline of being in the army and being awkward af...

• Love 1
On 4/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Miss Ruth said:

I the loudmouth woman who worked at the Lunchbox (forgot her name) 

Nancy. She was 1/4 owner of the Lunchbox with Roseanne, Jackie, and Leon (after Bev sold her share to him to get back at Roseanne). 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I have to say , I've seen many reboots with girl meets world being the corniest followed by fuller house . So I was expecting this one to be the same because I agree with Roseanne in that everything is just too PC these days and a lot of today's shows are suffering because of that . The writers just don't have the freedom they used to have to write whatever they want to write because they know they'll lose ratings / viewers if they say something that will offend a certain group of people . I go on the Friends discussion forum and everyone talks about how inappropriate a lot of the writing is about Various topics ... but in my opinion , their openness to write what they want is what made the show as funny as it was .. so I'm actually impressed by this reboot and I hope they continue to not care who they offend . It's probably one of the better reboots I've seen . 

they used to be able to make fat and homosexual jokes and not be shredded for it. Because alluding to someone being gay or someone being just fat somehow was funny. The two major grips for that show was Monica in a fat suit and how homophobic a lot of the jokes where. Being open to write what you want is one thing but to bully a whole group of people and to make them feel less then everyone else and a butt of a joke I think a really good writer could rise above. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

they used to be able to make fat and homosexual jokes and not be shredded for it. Because alluding to someone being gay or someone being just fat somehow was funny. The two major grips for that show was Monica in a fat suit and how homophobic a lot of the jokes where. Being open to write what you want is one thing but to bully a whole group of people and to make them feel less then everyone else and a butt of a joke I think a really good writer could rise above. 

It's not the topic of being overweight, gay, married a million times, etc. that were meant to be funny. Those topics aren't funny. It was the way it was written and the delivery that was funny along with many other storylines that were not necessarily comical but the delivery made it funny. We will agree to disagree.

I thought the sink incident was further from abuse than Roseanne's busting in on a naked Harris (naked herself!), though she was making a point about hogging the shower and the hot water.

I don't mind if Jerry and Andy never appear in the show, but I do think the fact that Jackie has a son should be acknowledged.  I can also do without DJ and his family,

Interesting that DJ's the successful Connor kid -- he's performing close to his potential (though that's not a very high bar) and he's separated only by distance from his spouse. 

Until the show states otherwise I'll assume that Andy went to live with his father as soon as a judge gave him a choice and that this fact entered family lore as further proof that Jackie can't do anything right.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

There is a HUGE difference between being given the freedom to write on whatever topic you chose and being mean and cruel about it.  Roseanne was actually very good about towing the line between the two.  It had more then it’s fair share of gay characters that it occasionally made fun of (Leon, Bev, Nancy) but never in a cruel way.  

• Love 5
On 4/6/2018 at 4:20 PM, Colorado David said:

Funny, I saw this as acknowledging the other shows, rather than simply ignoring them. 

I did too.  I took it as meaning they're a family that loves each other and have a ton of shit going on, no matter what the color, we all got shit.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
contractions aren't my thang today
  • Love 12
On 4/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

A person would say "Grandpa Conner" and not "your Dad".

Jackie would say "since you lost Mark" but in the pilot she says "since your husband died". 

My brother legit tells stories to family about, "My wife and I watch this show."  "My wife went to the store."  "My wife really loves...."   Drives me up a wall!  OMG.  You have no idea how many times I've said, "Yes, we've met.  Her name is...."   

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

My brother legit tells stories to family about, "My wife and I watch this show."  "My wife went to the store."  "My wife really loves...."   Drives me up a wall!  OMG.  You have no idea how many times I've said, "Yes, we've met.  Her name is...."   

But that is your brother's wife... You are only related to her by marriage.

When speaking to you, does he say "remember when my father did this..." or does he say "remember when dad did that...?

1 hour ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

But that is your brother's wife... You are only related to her by marriage.

When speaking to you, does he say "remember when my father did this..." or does he say "remember when dad did that...?

They've been married for 17 years.  She isn't a casual acquaintance.  But I totally think it is weird.  I mean it bugs the heck out of me because it is like he's diminished her to a role rather than a person... a person who I've known for nearly half my life.   But I honestly think that he never thought he'd be married so he's still so tickled pink to have a wife that he doesn't see it the same way.

Usually my siblings and I say, "remember when mom..." (we're maternal half siblings so it is always very much mom and my dad... mom and your dad.  Mom and first name) but I guarantee we've all, "your mom," or "my mom" to one another before.  I know because my eldest sister yelled at me for "my momming" once saying that my other sister and I always did that and it made her feel like we were belittling her relationship with mom.... and I agreed.  Even though when I really said was "even my mom thought I was being an idiot."  IE.. Even somebody so solidly in my corner as my own mother thought I was wrong.   

Family relationships are talked about awkwardly on tv because they want to clue the audience who aren't always super fans into relationships.  However, in my personal experience talking about family relationships can also be awkward in real families because most people (at least in my family) don't spend a lot of time thinking about how they are phrasing something before they say it.   Awkwardness ensues.  But in real life you just smirk and move on.  It is only on TV that it becomes glaring. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Usually my siblings and I say, "remember when mom..." (we're maternal half siblings so it is always very much mom and my dad... mom and your dad.  Mom and first name) but I guarantee we've all, "your mom," or "my mom" to one another before.  I know because my eldest sister yelled at me for "my momming" once saying that my other sister and I always did that and it made her feel like we were belittling her relationship with mom.... and I agreed.  Even though when I really said was "even my mom thought I was being an idiot."  IE.. Even somebody so solidly in my corner as my own mother thought I was wrong. 

My mother refers to me by my name and to my brother as her child. Sometimes she asks me where her child is and I have to remind her that I'm also her child.

• Love 3
On 4/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

A person would say "Grandpa Conner" and not "your Dad".

Jackie would say "since you lost Mark" but in the pilot she says "since your husband died". 

The way they refer to characters from the original with pronouns instead of nouns is very phoney and awkward. That's why people take umbridge. Not because they are looking for references to the original.

I thinking they're referring to Becky's husband, rather than saying Mark, because of confusion to (new?) viewers.  With Darlene's son being named Mark?  Just speculation.  Not wringing my hands, even for a second.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6
On 4/3/2018 at 6:12 PM, sab85 said:

It seems to me that Roseanne is playing to the cheap seats which is why her acting seems a bit off. Everything's a tad overexaggerated and over-annunciated

Such a good point! I was thinking throughout this episode (and the first two as well) that Roseanne's voice seems a little too loud. I never would have thought that it might be because she's used to doing stand-up and making her voice loud/enunciated enough for even the cheap/far-away seats to hear.

• Love 3

Making your teenager give you all their passwords seems like a massive invasion of privacy to me, that is complete overreach and doesn't lend itself to produce a critical and selfsufficiant adult. But I guess that's just normal now, in the US...

• Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, Miles said:

Making your teenager give you all their passwords seems like a massive invasion of privacy to me, that is complete overreach and doesn't lend itself to produce a critical and selfsufficiant adult. But I guess that's just normal now, in the US...

Darlene had been very trusting of Harris until she discovered that Harris was committing a felony by selling stolen goods online and hatching a plan to run away from home. If Harris hadn't behaved irresponsibly, she'd still have her privacy.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Darlene had been very trusting of Harris until she discovered that Harris was committing a felony by selling stolen goods online and hatching a plan to run away from home. If Harris hadn't behaved irresponsibly, she'd still have her privacy.

So? What did you do before smarthphones? Have the kid wear a wire so you could monitor them 24/7? Because this is the aquivalent and it's frankly extremely creepy..

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Miles said:

So? What did you do before smarthphones? Have the kid wear a wire so you could monitor them 24/7? Because this is the aquivalent and it's frankly extremely creepy..

Before smartphones there was no social media and much fewer ways for children to get in trouble online without their parents' knowledge. Parents knew who their children communicated with because the communication was usually done over a landline phone that was shared by the entire household. And even then, one of the consequences for misbehaving was loss of phone privileges for a certain amount of time.

It's not "creepy" for parents to keep tabs on their underage children - it's their job. 

• Love 14
23 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It's interesting that both of Emma Kenney's characters, Rosanne's Harris and Shamless' Debs sell or have sold stolen merchandise on line.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It's interesting that both of Emma Kenney's characters, Rosanne's Harris and Shamless' Debs sell or have sold stolen merchandise on line.

She certainly is a natural at playing rebellious teenagers. :)

• Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, Miles said:

Not if the teenager has proven she can’t be trusted.

That kind of privacy is a privilege, especially if you’re a minor whose parent has just found out you’re committing theft and intending to sell stolen items.

Harris obviously isn’t mature enough for that kind of privacy. Darlene did the right thing here, in my opinion. I would go a step further and change all those passwords and make Harris earn my trust back before giving her back control of any of those passwords or accounts.

• Love 10