Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Roseanne Gets the Chair

(edited)

Question when did Dan And Rosie become ok with spanking?? remember the episode where she cried cause she spanked dj? her dad beat her and jackie thats why she never wanted to spank kids but now its ok? Darlene was just as much of a smart ass and they never spanked her so what gives? Your generation made everything so P.C. you tell them to go over there and think about what they did wrong. You know what they’re thinking? I can’t believe this loser isn’t spanking me.”

??

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

If you sell on Etsy, much like eBay, your merchandise has to be in the best condition possible.  Apparently Harris was stealing her merch from thrift stores, so they were pre-owned.  The sellers live and die by the ratings they get from the buyers.  If a seller gets reviews saying they received dirty clothes, then her business would be compromised.  HTH

Pretty sure thrift store was a lie Harris made up.

The stuff was being stolen from expensive stores and thus had security tags.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, OnaLimbPat said:

Also, here are some things they need to address in Seasons 10 or 11, 

When did the Lunch Box go out of business? Depending on the timing, if it was after 2008,  it could explain why Roseanne almost "lost the house" and supported Trump.

Where are Leon and Scott? Especially after gay marriage became legal nationwide, this stone should be turned.

Did Mark die of drug-related causes? Putting aside the real-life drug overdose of Glenn Quinn, it would be a shame that Roseanne the series didn't explore that kind of death. It seems like to me television deaths are always car accidents or heart attacks. 

I thought that I read somewhere that Mark died in Afghanistan. I could be wrong, but it would fit the narrative of a struggling young couple, with Mark being unable to find or keep a decent job, joining the military, maybe the reserves, and being a weekend warrior until his unit got called into active duty. 

However, this is a comedy show. I can totally see them go slapstick and have Mark's death be something totally embarrassing and funny, like a wrecking ball falling on a porta crapper at a construction site...too bad they already did that one (except Dan lived. One of my favorite Darlene scenes when she yells at him for not giving her enough credit for holding back on the sarcasm. "Now that's love." )

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, OnaLimbPat said:

it could explain why Roseanne almost "lost the house"

Speaking of which, how many freaking mortgages do they have on that place? Assuming they bought it in their mid-20s and they're now early-mid 60s, I'm surprised they don't have it paid off or very close to paid off at this point. They almost lost it when Dan's bike shop went out of business and now we're hearing they nearly lost it again, presumably when the Lunch Box went out of business. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Oosala said:

^^^ButterQueen, I think the poster meant that it wouldn't be possible for someone with an arthritic knee to manhandle Harris's head into the sink.  I may be wrong in that interpretation.

14 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

I know.  Roseanne has arthritis in her knee, as do I.  Does not affect my upper body strength or the hard use of my knee when necessary.  

It was a really sitcomy scuffle. The girl just flailed her arms for like ten seconds straight. 

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

What was the Big Lebowski reference?

When they were in Darlene's room, Dan was talking about his life philosophy and said something about "making sure you didn't get eaten by the bear".  I took this as a direct nod to Sam Elliott's famous line "sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you".

All of the uproar about Roseanne favoring corporal punishment kind of surprised me, I just took it as her making a wry observation.

Another thing hit me that I don't think has been brought up.  Selling used clothes wouldn't be an Etsy thing, isn't it a requirement that Etsy selling must be handmade or original ideas?  The used clothes thing would be more eBay, but I wonder if there was some legal thing about mentioning eBay or they just wanted to make the Betsy joke.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Speaking of which, how many freaking mortgages do they have on that place? Assuming they bought it in their mid-20s and they're now early-mid 60s, I'm surprised they don't have it paid off or very close to paid off at this point. They almost lost it when Dan's bike shop went out of business and now we're hearing they nearly lost it again, presumably when the Lunch Box went out of business. 

Their first mortgage, and then the 2nd one they took out to open up the bike shop. They used Bev and Nancy to fund the Lunchbox, so I don't believe they borrowed against the house for that.

2 mortgages with failing businesses is a lot to keep up with. Especially because interest rates back in the late 70's early 80's, or hell even when they took a 2nd one in the 90's, were not that good. If they've never refinanced, it's not implausible that they cannot pay off their mortgage(s) yet.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah. I'm a Millennial which puts me right between Darlene/Becky (Gen X) and Harris (Gen Z.) Chasing YouTube fame was/is a big deal to my generation, and that's carried on into Harris's generation. Although, of course, the reality isn't as golden as it seems.

Millennials get a bad rap.  My company refuses to demote or lay off people past retirement age who can’t keep up,  and tries to get the millennials in cheap and basically doing the heavy lifting for the aging technophobes.  The whole pay your dues and when John in accounting turns 90 and croaks it’s your turn. They’re rejecting that oppressive way of thinking and finding new ways to work.  I don’t blame them.  If you know your audience, you can do well on social media and not be a star, but you can make more than an entry level job.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Millennials get a bad rap.  My company refuses to demote or lay off people past retirement age who can’t keep up,  and tries to get the millennials in cheap and basically doing the heavy lifting for the aging technophobes.  The whole pay your dues and when John in accounting turns 90 and croaks it’s your turn. They’re rejecting that oppressive way of thinking and finding new ways to work.  I don’t blame them.  If you know your audience, you can do well on social media and not be a star, but you can make more than an entry level job.

Some companies value loyalty, and experience is very important.  Everyone must pay their dues.

I wonder if Beverly Harris will make an appearance?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Question when did Dan And Rosie become ok with spanking?? remember the episode where she cried cause she spanked dj? her dad beat her and jackie thats why she never wanted to spank kids but now its ok? Darlene was just as much of a smart ass and they never spanked her so what gives? Your generation made everything so P.C. you tell them to go over there and think about what they did wrong. You know what they’re thinking? I can’t believe this loser isn’t spanking me.”

??

I think this debate comes down to whether Roseanne equates spanking with hitting.  A lot of people don't.

In the DJ episode, the conversation revolves around "hitting", and the with the way she went after DJ, I would classify that as "hitting" rather than "spanking".  She never said that she wouldn't spank her children.  She did say that she would never hit her children.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Zoe said:

I think this debate comes down to whether Roseanne equates spanking with hitting.  A lot of people don't.

That was the episode she first and supposedly last time spanked any of her children so yes in that episode she equated spanking and hitting as the same thing re watch it its VERY CLEAR ...none of the other episodes where she punished her kids involved any kind of hitting or spanking it was yelling taking doors off grounding but never spanking...... so this just comes out of left field

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, OnaLimbPat said:

Where are Leon and Scott? Especially after gay marriage became legal nationwide, this stone should be turned.

No word on whether Leon will make an appearance this season, but Scott shouldn't exist - he's the probate lawyer she met after Dan died, so she wrote him into the book as Leon's boyfriend.

1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

Spoiler

Yes, but I can't remember how many episodes Parsons signed for -- maybe one or two.  It's posted somewhere in the Revival thread.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sile said:

Another thing hit me that I don't think has been brought up.  Selling used clothes wouldn't be an Etsy thing, isn't it a requirement that Etsy selling must be handmade or original ideas?  The used clothes thing would be more eBay, but I wonder if there was some legal thing about mentioning eBay or they just wanted to make the Betsy joke.

That used to be their model but they allow the selling of vintage items now. There are a lot of vintage clothes being sold on there. I don't think you're supposed to sell new clothes but I don't think they keep a close eye on it. People are using vintage to describe 90's early 00's clothes these days. (I do it myself when I sell clothes).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

Some companies value loyalty, and experience is very important.  Everyone must pay their dues.

Not when you think excel and outlook are new programs and the 21 year olds are running circles around you.  

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No word on whether Leon will make an appearance this season, but Scott shouldn't exist - he's the probate lawyer she met after Dan died, so she wrote him into the book as Leon's boyfriend.

Hide contents

Yes, but I can't remember how many episodes Parsons signed for -- maybe one or two.  It's posted somewhere in the Revival thread.

Yay!!!  Thanks!!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AM1418 said:

They used Bev and Nancy to fund the Lunchbox,

Bev gave Roseanne and Jackie each $10.000.00.  In her tenure as a truck driver,  Jackie had discovered restaurants specializing in loose meat sandwiches.  Although Roseanne resisted at first,  Jackie talked her into opening the Lunchbox.  They also took on partners.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Rap541 said:

All Harris learned from that scene is that Granny Rose will lose her shit and get violent. This was not lighthearted discipline or horseplay between adults. 

My thoughts exactly. This is why I don’t understand physical punishment. All the kid learns is that someone who they’re supposed to be able to trust to keep them safe instead loses their temper and deliberately causes pain and/or fear. 

Because of her family history, I don’t think the Roseanne Conner of the 90s would have done this OR encouraged spanking. She was always so creative with punishments, like the door removal or walking behind DJ to school while dressed all crazy. Actually, even hopping in the shower with Harris in this episode was more like old Roseanne and totally cracked me up. 

• Love 13
(edited)

Right? I could totally see her pranking Harris in some outrageous way. Not losing control and forcing her head into the sink with her knee in her back. That's immature and needlessly vicious. I found it jarring.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Arthritic grandma Roseanne manhandling Darlene’s tall daughter’s head into the sink was pure fantasy. 

RIGHT?  The kid didn't even fight back, which make me this that this was more tom-foolery than "corporal punishment"  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Not when you think excel and outlook are new programs and the 21 year olds are running circles around you.  

I'm 54 years old and have gone from an office assistant to an Executive Assistant to a governor and a couple CEO's.  When this computer thingy came out, we didn't have classes for it, we learned on the fly.  One day we came to work and Word appeared.  So, no....not many 21 years are running circles around people my age, that having been with the Microsoft from day 1.  I teach those young'ens a thing or two once in a while and I'm never afraid to ask a question here and there.  Sorry for the off topic rant.   :)

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, AM1418 said:

Of course a simple "Your Dad Ed" or something to that affect would suffice for us long time viewers, but could still be confusing for new viewers. The producers are kind of in a catch 22 at this point regarding that. Too much info and the die-hards are bored. Too little info and the newbies don't have a clue what's going on.

But who in real life would say, "Your Dad Ed?"  That sounds even more awkward than Jackie saying "your husband" to Becky about Mark.

• Love 6

Well, for me the issue with the spanking remarks is that it's completely out of character. Original Series Roseanne and Dan didn't believe in spanking their children. And it wasn't just an idly mentioned factoid. It was an ongoing storyline with Roseanne and Jackie due to their own childhood. Roseanne resented if not outright hated their father for hitting them. She made it a mission to never treat her own children the way her father treated her, and so was horrified when she lost control and hit D.J. that time. Dan's own childhood wasn't alluded to quite so much but the implication was made on at least one occasion that he received corporal punishment from his parents and didn't want to do the same to his kids either. So for Roseanne and Dan to now be so cavalier about spanking, to advocate that kids ought to be smacked to behave and that Darlene's generation ruined it all by making everything so PC that no one was allowed to hit their kids anymore, well, that flies in the face of their entire character history. I'm not bothered by the idea of grandparents thinking bratty kids should be spanked (though I'm personally not for it as a rule). I'm bothered by the fact that it's a continuity error in the story.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I'm 54 years old and have gone from an office assistant to an Executive Assistant to a governor and a couple CEO's.  When this computer thingy came out, we didn't have classes for it, we learned on the fly.  One day we came to work and Word appeared.  So, no....not many 21 years are running circles around people my age, that have been with the Microsoft from day 1.  I teach those young'ens a thing or two once in a while and I'm never afraid to ask a question here and there.  Sorry for the off topic rant.   :)

I was an office manager for eight years. I never could get the hang of Excel and I took classes and everything. There are some things I just can't learn, like wallpaper hanging and sewing.  Sorry for off topic.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was an office manager for eight years. I never could get the hang of Excel and I took classes and everything. There are some things I just can't learn, like wallpaper hanging and sewing.  Sorry for off topic.

Don't feel bad. I have a masters degree in computer science, have been working in tech for 15 years, and know my way around most databases, but still can't do a pivot table for the life of me.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

ROFL you all are describing me as well.  I learned DOS originally, then had to learn this new fangled Windows 3.1.  (And I can't hang drapes correctly.)

• Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

but still can't do a pivot table for the life of me.

My people! Or is that person? I'm very proficient with Excel except for that fucking, frustrating, convoluted, insensible PIVOT TABLE!!!!

Ahem.

I guess because I was spanked (once or twice) and don't recall the show's canon regarding spanking/hitting (which I believe are two different things, as I got the shit kicked out of me by bullies at school), is why I found it funny and it didn't bother me. Because for the most part, I didn't recall. But I can understand and appreciate that those that didn't like it, and why.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 11

I love Pivot tables since I learned how to use it for what I need. Lol

I'm guessing they are making this show for new viewers that's why they are not completely following what happened in the previous series. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

Well, for me the issue with the spanking remarks is that it's completely out of character. Original Series Roseanne and Dan didn't believe in spanking their children. And it wasn't just an idly mentioned factoid. It was an ongoing storyline with Roseanne and Jackie due to their own childhood. Roseanne resented if not outright hated their father for hitting them. She made it a mission to never treat her own children the way her father treated her, and so was horrified when she lost control and hit D.J. that time. Dan's own childhood wasn't alluded to quite so much but the implication was made on at least one occasion that he received corporal punishment from his parents and didn't want to do the same to his kids either. So for Roseanne and Dan to now be so cavalier about spanking, to advocate that kids ought to be smacked to behave and that Darlene's generation ruined it all by making everything so PC that no one was allowed to hit their kids anymore, well, that flies in the face of their entire character history. I'm not bothered by the idea of grandparents thinking bratty kids should be spanked (though I'm personally not for it as a rule). I'm bothered by the fact that it's a continuity error in the story.

It was a cheap  comedy for Roseanne to do that to her granddaughter - BTW, I expect hitting from the  3 Stooges.  I know Whitney Cumming is a producer - it's something I would expect from her.

One of the things I loved about the old Roseanne is the way they were able to punish their kids in thoroughly ingenious or  wicked ways - Ro going to DJ & Darlene's  respective  schools dressed in overalls, check shirt, straw hat w/flower and lipstick smeared heavily around her mouth, Becky having to work under Dan's greasy car, David becoming  Ro's maid after being caught living with Darlene at school.

Making Dan keep going back to the bike shop for lying even when she didn't know what he was lying about.

Also, if Mark was killed in Afghanistan--active duty, wouldn't Becky get a military  stipend?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 9

With respect, nothing about the sink scene was light hearted tomfoolery. Roseanne was pissed, not laughing, she was calling her admittedly bratty grand daughter an "entitled bitch" with venom not humor. And she grabbed the kid and held her head down in the sink. If she had done that to an adult, with that level of anger in her voice as she said "entitled bitch" no one would be calling it amusing tomfoolery, it would be called assault. Since I do watch this show for comedy, I think its a fair criticism that I didn't find this scene to be a light hearted amusing romp, but in fact a little offensive and unsettling.

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

With respect, nothing about the sink scene was light hearted tomfoolery. Roseanne was pissed, not laughing, she was calling her admittedly bratty grand daughter an "entitled bitch" with venom not humor. And she grabbed the kid and held her head down in the sink. If she had done that to an adult, with that level of anger in her voice as she said "entitled bitch" no one would be calling it amusing tomfoolery, it would be called assault. Since I do watch this show for comedy, I think its a fair criticism that I didn't find this scene to be a light hearted amusing romp, but in fact a little offensive and unsettling.

NO way that was assault, unless grabbing someone is your definition of assault. Spraying with the faucet (if you look, they have one of those faucets that extends and sprays like a showerhead) is NOT dunking someone's head in water, way different things. She was NOT trying to drown her, everyone is reading FAR MORE into it than it was. I'm in Roseanne's generation - we grew up and it was okay to punch my brother, tickle attack someone, and hell in high school at lunch time when the lunch bell rang and we all ran, i can't tell you how many people got tripped and went flying.  We realized being physical was PART of being a kid and growing up, learning to DEAL with it.  Society was not plastic wrapped so we couldn't get hurt.

Roseanne's dousing was to embarrass Harris to get her attention, and it worked well and NO damage done. IMO yelling is 10x worse than getting doused with water, but hey everyone seems OKY-DOKY with that one.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

25 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

NO way that was assault, unless grabbing someone is your definition of assault. Spraying with the faucet (if you look, they have one of those faucets that extends and sprays like a showerhead) is NOT dunking someone's head in water, way different things. She was NOT trying to drown her, everyone is reading FAR MORE into it than it was. I'm in Roseanne's generation - we grew up and it was okay to punch my brother, tickle attack someone, and hell in high school at lunch time when the lunch bell rang and we all ran, i can't tell you how many people got tripped and went flying.  We realized being physical was PART of being a kid and growing up, learning to DEAL with it.  Society was not plastic wrapped so we couldn't get hurt.

Roseanne's dousing was to embarrass Harris to get her attention, and it worked well and NO damage done. IMO yelling is 10x worse than getting doused with water, but hey everyone seems OKY-DOKY with that one.

Roseanne didn’t spray Harris with the sprayer.  She grabbed her and dunked her head in the sink.   She didn’t grab a spray gun and put it on blast she grabbed a teenager and turned on water and put there head in that water.     

I am not sure how anyone is seeing this as tomfoolery.   I might have seen it as joking around if Roseanne had grabbed the water squirted and sprayed Harris with it.  That’s not what she did.    She dunked Harris in a pool full of water.  

• Love 5
(edited)

There was no water in the sink, she did not dunk her head in any water. She sprayed the back her head with the faucet. While I do agree it was a little rough. She wasn't trying to drown her. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

Ideally, the actual discipline should have been done without yelling and my original criticism included a mention of how this went nuclear without anyone even attempting anything. But yelling isn't going to get you arrested. I was kidding with a friend last night about how Harris would have any number of stories to tell Child Protective Services if they came asking about Granny Rose. Yes, grabbing physically holding a teen child's head down in the sink and dousing them with water is assault - don't believe me? Try doing this to a coworker and insisting you were just engaging in fun tomfoolery. And while I wasn't offended and thought it was funny, imagine how "I was showering and my grandmother entered the shower naked with me" sounds, really? (I did find the shower scene funny but I really hope people don't replicate it at home).

• Love 8
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

There was no water in the sink, she did not dunk her head in any water. She sprayed the back her head with the faucet. While I do agree it was a little rough. She wasn't trying to drown her. 

This what I was trying to explain to the previous posters. Thank you for posting that clip, Sakura.  I'm guessing water hose fights are no longer acceptable forms of fun for children. How sad.

It would be interesting if they did do a Harris calls CPS storyline, to see where it goes, considering all the discussion it has generated here.

Edited by Colorado David
more thots
  • Love 6

I guess I'm less bothered by the water thing as the grabbing her by the neck and holding her head down while bracing her leg across her back thing. Like someone said somewhere upthread, if the scene had played as Harris turned around brattily and when she turned back Roseanne turned the nozzle on her, that would have carried a different tone than her physically grabbing her and holding her down the way she did. I think that part was unnecessarily rough. I don't know what I would call it in the context of this corporal punishment debate, but it was unnecessarily rough. It's all so weird and hard to square in my head, I honestly don't know what to think.

• Love 9

For me, my issue wasn't with Roseanne punishing Harris, because she absolutely deserved it for speaking back to her grandmother like that. This day and age, there is a little less respect held with teenagers and the older generation, from what I've seen. However, I think my issue was with how aggressive Roseanne got with Harris. When I was a kid, when my grandmother would get mad at me (and she really didn't like me compared to my sister, as I was punished way more often than she was), she wouldn't get aggressive physically, but more verbally and emotionally. I didn't get closer to my grandmother until I reached adulthood, when we could communicate like adults. Harris is a brat, for sure, and punishment would be the only thing to get through to someone like her, but I was personally more put-off with how rough Roseanne was with Harris. I personally felt like Roseanne grabbed her and forced her head into the sink to spray her too forcefully; I felt like there was real legit rage going on, as well as the way Roseanne spit out the word "bitch" (for the record, she was a bitch, but I'm more used to the word "brat" being used on teenagers and think that word would have also sufficed and gotten the message across).

For the record, my grandmother would never use the word "bitch" but likely would have used the word "brat", but I've heard the word bitch being used on family shows more recently. I guess it's a term I'm not used to hearing from older folk to the younger generation, especially family members. 

Again, personal preferences. It wasn't the method of punishment and the words being used (I was thrilled to see Roseanne tell Harris off), rather than the acting choices made from Roseanne herself, with the pure aggression behind it. I think there's a line between too soft and too hard. I did like the shower scene at the end because it was funny and it still punished Harris, but more in a sitcom type of way. 

• Love 5

I don’t mind that Roseanne got physical with Harris.

She tried to get Harris to display a little common consideration first, and then tried to explain her position, albeit very pissily (but that’s the Roseanne I always loved). 

It wasn’t until Harris refused Roseanne’s requests and acted like a disrespectful, entitled bitch complete with insulting Roseanne because she was feeling lazy that Roseanne put her under the hose. I was cheering Roseanne all the way through.

I saw absolutely no physical abuse in that scene and the emotional “abuse” was doled out equally by both parties involved.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I'm guessing water hose fights are no longer acceptable forms of fun for children. How sad.

It wasn't a water hose fight between children, and I haven't seen a single post here that thinks that Roseanne was actively trying to drown Harris. Grabbing someone, forcing their head into a sink, and leaning your body weight into that person is assault. Simply splashing water on a person with a spray nozzle would be immature at worst, but that wasn't the case. It would be one thing if two individuals were already engaged in horseplay, but that wasn't the case. Roseanne did it out of anger, and it wasn't that Roseanne's anger wasn't justified, but a grown, sane adult doesn't physically manhandle another person even if they are angry with them. Harris was being a brat but there were other ways Roseanne could have handled the situation. 

Here's Vanity Fair's take on the episode. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/04/roseanne-revival-season-10-episode-2-spanking-conservative-politics-darlene-harris-abuse  

• Love 7
(edited)

I saw absolutely no physical abuse in that scene and the emotional “abuse” was doled out equally by both parties involved.

I'd just say one is a teenage girl, and the other person is her grandmother, i.e. at least one of them should be adult enough to know better.  To me, the scene was very jarring.  I just can't picture Roseanne calling her granddaughter an entitled bitch to her face, and then holding her down in the sink so she could spray her with a hose.  Harris definitely deserved discipline for her completely unacceptable behavior, but I had no idea what message this show is trying to send with Roseanne's perceived solution.  

It's just hard for me to believe the woman who was so shaken when she spanked DJ because of past abuse is the same one standing idly by while Dan makes jokes about his dad hitting him with a broom.      

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Also random: I thought they were eating Mexican food during the opening. 

They are. Becky works at a Mexican restaurant, so she probably gets the food at a discount.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, Sherilea43 said:

Roseanne's acting seems off to me. She was so natural at the peak of the original series. Can't pinpoint what it is. It's as if she ennunciates too often. 

Glad I am not alone. It comes off to me as if she is doing a skit on SNL at times. 

As the whole thing played out with Harris, I kept going back to the time Roseanne felt bad for going overboard with spanking DJ. The whole thing about Roseanne and Jackie's dad being abusive is what kept Roseanne from ever being the kind of parent who got physical when it came to disciplining the kids. It was jarring to watch the storyline play out. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Glad I am not alone. It comes off to me as if she is doing a skit on SNL at times. 

As the whole thing played out with Harris, I kept going back to the time Roseanne felt bad for going overboard with spanking DJ. The whole thing about Roseanne and Jackie's dad being abusive is what kept Roseanne from ever being the kind of parent who got physical when it came to disciplining the kids. It was jarring to watch the storyline play out. 

But watch what she did to DJ again. That was way more than spanking and crossed the line into hitting.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I guess I'm less bothered by the water thing as the grabbing her by the neck and holding her head down while bracing her leg across her back thing. Like someone said somewhere upthread, if the scene had played as Harris turned around brattily and when she turned back Roseanne turned the nozzle on her, that would have carried a different tone than her physically grabbing her and holding her down the way she did. I think that part was unnecessarily rough. I don't know what I would call it in the context of this corporal punishment debate, but it was unnecessarily rough. It's all so weird and hard to square in my head, I honestly don't know what to think.

I'm betting they rehearsed that scene often and carefully to make sure Rosanne didn't hurt the young actress. Didn't bump her head or chin or teeth on the sink. Because that could happen.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:27 PM, txhorns79 said:

Now I fully get that Darlene seriously fell down on the job, and in that situation, I think Roseanne and Dan had a right to discipline Harris, but not in the way it was handled.  It's just not something I can ever imagine happening on the original show.     

Well as Darlene said - they're not her parents.  And Harris knows it too - so everything they did back in the day (grounding, etc) they really can't do right now.  I was actually getting bothered that Roseanne was not getting the upper hand like she was so good at in the past - and the dunking in the sink took me by surprise and made me laugh (and feel avenged on her behalf :)

23 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

I thought there was an episode where Dan and Roseanne had a mortgage burning party. Unless I was thinking of a different show.

Frank and Marie on Everybody Loves Raymond ;)

• Love 3

It's time to move on from the discussion of physical punishment in the episode, and in real life. We understand that people have strong beliefs about the issue, and how it was depicted here or previously on the show. Those opinions have been well and thoroughly presented. 

It's never time to criticize fellow posters in the forum: individually or collectively. Those posts have been removed; future posts in that vein will draw sanctions.

• Love 17