Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Roseanne Gets the Chair

8 hours ago, Sherilea43 said:

Roseanne's acting seems off to me. She was so natural at the peak of the original series. Can't pinpoint what it is. It's as if she ennunciates too often. Missed Little Mark this time...love him.

Yes... maybe it is that she is rusty -- maybe that she is older... but she is not talking right. But also it did seem to get better toward the end of the episode. The highlight for me was the end tag shower scene. That is the Rosie I remember. 

I am going to have a problem if they keep tip toeing around David and Andy. It is just glaring. 

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Agreed. My parents and grandparents never hit me, but I did get doused with cold water a couple of times for much smaller infractions. I never thought it was humiliating or traumatizing, like a spanking wold have been, it just reminded me where the boundaries were.

Maybe you are right and I woukd agree with you for MOST families but not for a family with a series long coming out of abuse arc.  Jackie stayed in an abusive relationship longer then she should have.  The Connors allowed David to move in with them when Darlene and David were in the early stages of dating because of the way his mother treated him.   Roseanne nearly lost it the one time she spanked DJ.   

Roseanne is by no means a perfect mother.   If anything she is more psychological.  She once called Becky I think it was every twenty minutes to make sure Becky wasn’t  having any fun on her date with Mark because Becky lied to her and they hated Mark.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

But if tonight's episode showed a stand-alone bathroom upstairs, then it supports the upstairs hallway bathroom scenario.

I think it supports a "the script called for a bathroom to show how messy Harris was and that would allow 2 people to shower at once" scenario.

The original bathroom had a single stall style shower and wouldn't have work for the joke.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I wonder if doing stand-up has affected how she delivers some of the lines because I recall in the first season of the original show, Roseanne acted more like she was doing stand up then a sitcom.. but over time she became a pretty strong sitcom actress and Roseanne in real life is doing stand up again.

I have thought this exact thing since the show debuted. I think she'll morph back into the more easy, natural speech. I hope so anyway. But I'll still watch even if she doesn't.

• Love 5

I enjoyed this episode, but not as much as the first two. I really don’t like Harris. I have no problem with the way Roseanne reacted to her. As people get older, they lose their filter. I can see Grandma Rose being fed up with Harris and the fact that Darlene was doing nothing about it. What surprised me was how quickly Harris gave up her passwords. I expected her to pitch a big fit. I hate when people are snobby about living in a big city anymore. Get over yourself, Harris. You don’t seem all that cultured to me. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

It kills me that I’m still not loving this show like I want to, but the acting and the writing are just so....off

I agree - to me it seems like the actors are still in the getting-to-know-you phase...like they are working on remembering how to play off each other effortlessly like they used to.  Even John Goodman seemed to be "performing" his lines.  This episode was really a clunker for me.  I liken it to an author who writes a fantastic first book but the second book is just "meh."  That said, I will definitely keep watching until it goes off the air because I fully expect each successive episode to become smoother and better.  I have way too much invested in this family.  I need to know what happened to every character during the past 20 years, and I like that it's not being all laid out for us in one fell swoop.  I really do hope the writers and Roseanne herself understand what a touchstone this show was for so many people, and hopefully none of the characters vanish because they're not major players (Andy, Fred, David - where are you???)  

• Love 14

Another great episode.  There were many laugh-outloud moments for me.  I really liked Harris in the first 2 episodes but couldn't stand her in this one.  I hope in future episodes she will have some redeeming qualities.  Her acting seemed worse this episode too :(

People mention Becky's voice sounding different.  I think Dan's voice also sounds different.  Can't explain it, just...different.

I'm glad they laid off the politics...I don't want another Will & Grace.

• Love 6

Since most thought the second episode was better than the first, the writing has improved--technically speaking, I believe last night's episode was filmed before the "Dress to Impress" episode. 

I suppose I would have given a side-eye to the spanking part last night, had I seen the episode from when Roseanne spanked DJ. But I think I pretty much stopped watching by then? Or must have missed it. I do recall an episode where Roseanne's father died and she was talking to his coffin, about abuse?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sherilea43 said:

Roseanne's acting seems off to me. She was so natural at the peak of the original series. Can't pinpoint what it is. It's as if she ennunciates too often. Missed Little Mark this time...love him.

I thought the same thing.  Her acting is not good.  She seems very stiff.  

• Love 2

My takeway from this ep...

Seems to be continuing a downward slide from the first episode in quality. I still liked the ep though. 

-Where's DJ? So far he's appeared once in 3 episodes and had 2 lines.

-Roseanne's job is confirmed to be Uber. I guess they didn't want to make her workplace apart of the show like the original. We still don't know what Dan does.

-Roseanne uses corporal punishment on Harris. Don't remember her doing this in the original except the DJ spanking ep. Seems really out of character. She used to punish by grounding, taking away allowance, or embarassing the kids. Her getting in the shower at the end seems way more in character.

-Ed Conner references lacking. Why do they insist on using pronouns instead of the character's names? In this first ep Jackie says to Becky "since your husband died". In this ep both Dan and Darlene just refer to Ed as "dad" or "your dad"? If this was the original series, Dan would have said "when I was a boy, old Ed Conner told me..." during that story. I don't know if they are afraid people won't get the reference or if they have to pay the people who created the characters or what but it's getting annoying. Makes me think there will be no reference to Crystal being married to Dan's dad in her episode.

-A lack of connection to the original show. Yet another episode where we don't find out what happened to the Lunchbox or David or Mark or other storylines from the original.

-The design of the kitchen is really starting to annoy me, specifically the cabinets. The original kitchen looked like a kitchen you would find in a house of the era. The new kitchen looks like a kitchen built for a camera. What I mean by that is often items are made larger so they appear of correct size on camera, but it looks like they didn't get it quite right.

The counter top looks too high, the upper cupboards are too high (Sara Gilbert could practically walk under them) and the right side one is disproportionately large, and the vent panel under the sink is all wrong too.

-Funniest line was "Thrift Store? They don't put security tags on items that cost less than a security tag!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Runningwild said:

I really don’t like Harris. I have no problem with the way Roseanne reacted to her. As people get older, they lose their filter.

I don't like Harris, either.  I never liked the Darlene character in the original run of the series, and this seems to be The Darlene Show.  Also, I don't think Roseanne ever had a filter. :)

I hope it settles into being more about Dan, Roseanne and their friends, rather than focusing so much on their offspring.  I don't see that happening since Sara Gilbert (Darlene) is a producer.

• Love 3

This just didn't sit right with me. I can't reconcile the Darlene that we knew being such a pushover parent. And I can't reconcile the Roseanne that we knew who was horrified by corporal punishment and now grabbing her granddaughter like that. Not to mention calling Harris a bitch! It just seems wildly out of character.

I was really expecting more of a conflict between Darlene and Roseanne over parenting because Darlene would tend to be more of a talk it out kind of mom and Roseanne isn't. Not that Harris was  being a complete brat with Darlene doing nothing.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

This just didn't sit right with me. I can't reconcile the Darlene that we knew being such a pushover parent. And I can't reconcile the Roseanne that we knew who was horrified by corporal punishment and now grabbing her granddaughter like that. Not to mention calling Harris a bitch! It just seems wildly out of character.

I was really expecting more of a conflict between Darlene and Roseanne over parenting because Darlene would tend to be more of a talk it out kind of mom and Roseanne isn't. Not that Harris was  being a complete brat with Darlene doing nothing.

My guess is that Darlene is just burnt out with the situation of moving home and feeling guilty about uprooting her kids. 

I did like the discussion of parenting and discipline in different generations and how things are looked at differently now. I’m waiting for the cops to show up at the Conner house because Darlene let Mark go to the park alone and some busybody reported it (probably won’t happen, but I’ve seen stories about that in the news). 

• Love 7
(edited)

Early to mid Roseanne used to find the dialogue and jokes funny and would smile through most of the scenes, which was sort of charming. Thirty years time has sort of turned her into grampa Simpson, plus there wasn’t much to laugh at in this episode either. Have any of the celebrity producers even washed their own clothes in years? 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

There was an episode in the Lunch Box years that Darlene and the second Becky were fighting and Roseanne says something like..we have a happy family and you two little bitches aren't going to ruin it! Something like that. So she could get aggressive with her words. Lol.

• Love 6
(edited)

I too remember Roseate being anti-corporal punishment, guilty about hitting DJ and her dad/Davids mom abuse storylines. The Connors never hit their kids but they were not pushover like Darling was being. There were always consequences, punishments and rules in the house that did not involve hitting. They had rules, grounding, they said NO to their kids, gave out chores. I did not take caged to mean abuse, I took it to mean structure and rules. (However the time they had to remove Becky''s door, I think they should have made an exception and popped her..I sure wanted to), but I guess I don't consider hosing Harris down to be abuse, she got wet and knocked down a few pegs..but had to be done.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Since most thought the second episode was better than the first, the writing has improved--technically speaking, I believe last night's episode was filmed before the "Dress to Impress" episode. 

I suppose I would have given a side-eye to the spanking part last night, had I seen the episode from when Roseanne spanked DJ. But I think I pretty much stopped watching by then? Or must have missed it. I do recall an episode where Roseanne's father died and she was talking to his coffin, about abuse?

Roseanne's dad died during season 5. The episode where Roseanne spanked DJ was in early season 6 (right around the time Jackie got pregnant with Andy/Sarah Chalke started playing Becky). 

• Love 1

I get everyone being up in arms over the "corporal punishment" of being grabbed and getting your hair doused with water, that's a bit over the top considering Roseanne's history.  What's funny is everyone is fine with all the snarky comments being made and no one mentions verbal abuse at all. Where's the uproar at the name calling between Harris and Roseanne? Or does that not cross a line nowadays, thank you twitter.

• Love 10
(edited)

The only thing I didn’t like about the hosing down was how she held her down by the neck. 

I also didn’t nt like how it sounded like Roseanne was tattling to Darlene. I did like how Darlene immediately made her apologize to her grandmother. 

I think my favorite part of the new series is the dynamics of the multigenerational interactions among the family. We didn’t see it as much with Bev and the kids in the original series. 

Edited by Stacey1014
  • Love 7

I loved the chair bit cause I have a bad back and I could imagine it would be sweet to have one to get/up and down the stairs.   Dan taking a picture of her with his flip phone was hilarious.   I also could not stop laughing when Rosy held Harris's head in the kitchen sink.  I was expecting something to happen but I wasnt expecting that.   This show is making me laugh.

• Love 12

I have felt the acting to be off for several of them, and they are almost all speaking odd or unnatural.  It did get better as the ep went on, and it was better in the 2nd ep last week, so I think they'll all find their rhythms again, but it is noticeable.  (And yes, I know these are airing out of order, so I'm fine with the "backslide" since it's not really).

That all said, I did enjoy the episode over all.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Sherilea43 said:

There was an episode in the Lunch Box years that Darlene and the second Becky were fighting and Roseanne says something like..we have a happy family and you two little bitches aren't going to ruin it! Something like that. So she could get aggressive with her words. Lol.

Darlene and Roseanne lit the torch for bitchfest 94.

• Love 11

I don’t care about Andy. There’s so much material here and limited episodes to do it in.   As far as I’m concerned, they can retcon everyone except Dan and Roseanne.  Toss in a sprinkling of Crystal. 

• Love 14
Just now, Mu Shu said:

I don’t care about Andy. There’s so much material here and limited episodes to do it in.   As far as I’m concerned, they can retcon everyone except Dan and Roseanne.  Toss in a sprinkling of Crystal. 

Same.  Couldn't care less about Andy or Jerry.  I do wonder what happened between Darlene and David though.  I loved his character.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I feel like John Goodman is the one over acting, not Roseanne. 

I guess it could be the weight loss or him aging, but he just looks and sounds ill to me.  I don't feel like I'm watching Dan at all, and it makes me sad.  I love these people, I don't want to be sad watching them lol

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Toss in a sprinkling of Crystal. 

Oooo, I'd love to see Crystal!

I liked when Harris told Darlene that she'd said some less than flattering things about her on her Instagram account and Darlene replied "Ditto!"

I didn't like that Roseanne held down Harris at the sink but didn't mind the water spraying or name calling so much. And it is very annoying when someone takes your clean clothes out of the washer and puts them on a dirty surface! 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So Roseanne actually does work as an Uber driver, it wasn't a joke.

Harris is such a spoiled brat, even Darlene wasn't that bad. I loved Roseanne taking away the muffin and sticking Harris's head under the faucet.

It was strange that Harris talked about missing Chicago and her friends but never once mentioned her dad. I really need to know what happened between Darlene and David.

I watched this show sporadically back in the 80s;  Johnny Galecki is David, right?  Who is Andy? 

I want Darlene's bathrobe!  Johnny G wears a red on on Big Bang Theory and it is sold out.  They are vintage hard to find.  They are wool so not that practical living in the desert, but I still want one. 

Rosanne is still a lousy actor, I don't remember her being any better but it doesn't matter.  I liked this show a little, back then,  but was not compelled to watch it on a regular basis.  I will stay with this for awhile but I find Rosanne's politics in real life disturbing and hard to ignore.  Sara Gilbert is one of my favorite people on the planet and why I watch The Talk so I will stick with this to see her.  I am happy to see she has a large role in this reboot.  

• Love 2

I haven't noticed John Goodman sounding particularly different, but he does look more aged than he probably ought to be but I attribute that to the weight loss. When older people lose a lot of weight, particularly if they lose it in a short amount of time, their skin kind of hangs or sags a little because it's naturally less elastic with age. It's especially noticeable if they were the heavier size for a long time and their skin was used to being, well, stretched out for a long time. As a result they get kind of a drawn look about the face that makes them seem older or sickly-looking.

4 minutes ago, Wings said:

I watched this show sporadically back in the 80s;  Johnny Galecki is David, right?  Who is Andy?

Yes, Johnny Galecki played David, Darlene's boyfriend-turned-husband-now-possibly-ex-husband.

Andy is Jackie's son, born in the sixth season. He was the result of a first-date one-night stand with Dan's buddy from work, Fred. It likely would have ended at the one night had Jackie not gotten pregnant, but toward the end of the pregnancy they started dating for real and got married in the season finale. They split up at the end of the following season when they decided they weren't compatible.

• Love 7
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Wings said:

Johnny Galecki is David, right?   

Right.

28 minutes ago, Wings said:

Who is Andy? 

Jackie's son. He was born about a year and half before Jerry, Roseanne and Dan's fourth child. Jerry was mentioned in the premiere - he apparently works on a fishing boat - but Andy hasn't been mentioned yet. I don't need to him to be on the show, but I want him to be acknowledged somehow. They're already making Jackie look pathetic with her life coaching, so it would suck if they pretend her son never existed, and she's just the old spinster aunt whose life revolves around the Conners.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 10

Another thing, it kind of nagged me a little last week that Dan and Roseanne even got a stairlift for the house (I couldn't remember what they were called so I literally just Googled "old people stair thing"), just because I imagine those things are pretty expensive and they're not exactly supposed to be rolling in it. Kind of glad that they explained that Dan stole it from the dead neighbor's house. :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

I don't like Harris, either.  I never liked the Darlene character in the original run of the series, and this seems to be The Darlene Show.  Also, I don't think Roseanne ever had a filter. :)

I hope it settles into being more about Dan, Roseanne and their friends, rather than focusing so much on their offspring.  I don't see that happening since Sara Gilbert (Darlene) is a producer.

I hope so too. Right now the show is feeling a bit too Darlene-centric, which sucks because Harris is a thoroughly unlikable character. I can understand a bratty teen resentful she had to move away from her home, school and friends, but I can't co-sign one who calls her grandparents "stupid Hillbillies." I would've popped her in her face, CPS be damned.

I prefer the show to focus on the original core characters that we fell in love with the first time around. I know it's still relatively early, so hopefully we get more of the old timers and less of the newbies in upcoming episodes.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I've been reading the comments here, checking out what my fellow forum'ers thought of last night's show, and thought I had missed a scene.  I honestly could not remember a spanking reference, or a scene of corporal punishment.  Then I read your comment Colorado Dave, and realized oh!!!  Everybody's talking about the kitchen sink scene.

Wow, I really did not see physical abuse in that scene.  I saw a fed up grandma trying to get, and keep, her sassy teen grandkid's attention. 

Also, Roseanne didn't call Harris a bitch, she referred to her as acting like a bitch.  2 different things. 

Mind you, neither of these situations would have ever happened in my childhood, but my family had different dynamics than the Conners.

I feel like "abuse" and "corporal punishment" are over the top and not on the mark in describing scenes from this episode. 

Agreed on the bitch comment, that’s why it never registered as verbal abuse for me. She didn’t call her a little bitch, she told her she was acting like a little bitch, and she was. 

The sink thing only bothered me because it’s a little off from what we know Roseanne to be. That isn’t something we saw her do to her children. People change over 20 years too, so there is that. Otherwise I didn’t view it as abuse. Most teenagers need knocked down a peg and this was a non-violent way of doing it.

The only issue I had was with the spanking comment. I laughed because I happen to agree with it, but didn’t find it true to Roseanne. Considering her upbringing and freak out over spanking  DJ back when, it was out of place. They have done a really good job so far with continuity, it doesn’t seem like this one would have been hard to avoid. 

• Love 2
Just now, AM1418 said:

Agreed on the bitch comment, that’s why it never registered as verbal abuse for me. She didn’t call her a little bitch, she told her she was acting like a little bitch, and she was. 

The sink thing only bothered me because it’s a little off from what we know Roseanne to be. That isn’t something we saw her do to her children. People change over 20 years too, so there is that. Otherwise I didn’t view it as abuse. Most teenagers need knocked down a peg and this was a non-violent way of doing it.

The only issue I had was with the spanking comment. I laughed because I happen to agree with it, but didn’t find it true to Roseanne. Considering her upbringing and freak out over spanking  DJ back when, it was out of place. They have done a really good job so far with continuity, it doesn’t seem like this one would have been hard to avoid. 

I really am watching these characters as people I "knew" 20 years ago.  I'm expecting some differences in who they are now, versus who they were 20 years ago.  So I guess I'd give a pass for some differences in their characterization now.

I'm certainly a lot different than I was 20 years ago, and some of my beliefs and behaviors have shifted a bit, based on my life experiences during that time.

• Love 7

but I can't co-sign one who calls her grandparents "stupid Hillbillies." I would've popped her in her face, CPS be damned.

Why? They are stupid hillbillies. Roseanne frequently and proudly declares that they are "white trash and stayin' that way until they haul us to the curb."

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

Yeah, the spanking thing bothered me too. Telling Harris she was acting like an entitled bitch didn't bother me, both because she was, and because she was unbeLIEVably rude to her grandmother. I'd be missing quite a few teeth if I ever spoke to my grandmother that way. I feel like apologizing to her in my mind just for trying to imagine it. The sink thing was a little over the top and rough, and hilarious, but I wouldn't call it corporal punishment. Dan and Roseanne's cavalier attitude about spanking bothered me because it doesn't fit with the continuity. Roseanne and Jackie's issues with their father over his spanking them was a whole ongoing storyline, and we all saw how Roseanne felt when she lost it and spanked D.J. that one time. Dan and Roseanne didn't believe in hitting their children as they were hit, I believe was the line. So it's odd to the point of feeling like a continuity error to see Roseanne ragging on Darlene for not giving Harris a good smack like any parent should to teach their kids to behave.

• Love 2

I didn't view the sink thing as corporal punishment at all. Actually, I could see my mom doing that to me if I mouthed off and behaved like Harris has been. 

The last scene had me in hysterics! 

• Love 10

I really think Roseanne was trying to hold her tongue in regards to discipline. She mentioned that she wanted to be the fun grandma (which she probably was since they lived a few hours away). Now they’re living together and she’s trying to let Darlene take care of the discipline. Harris walks over Darlene and she has no respect for her grandparent, and Roseanne finally snapped. She couldn’t physically hit Harris, so she did the next best thing and got her point across. I don’t think Harris will blow off her grandparents the next time they ask her to do something. 

• Love 11
Spoiler

David will appear at some point during the season. I saw a quickie snippet of a long haired David walking through the Connor door so he will be showing up. I assume they divorced? We shall see. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Because I grew up in a generation where kids were expected to respect adults, especially ones who are allowing you to live rent free in their home. 

This.

You can go right on thinking that your grandparents are stupid hillbillies, but to outright call your grandmother that? No. I am with the others that said they would have lost teeth, and it wouldn't have come from my grandmother. It would have come from my mother, because she wouldn't have given my grandmother a chance to react.

Reminds me of the time I kept pretending to whip/flip my mom with a dishcloth and her telling me to try it and see what happens to me. I, being the cocky 14 year old I was, said "you can't catch me anyway old woman" and flipped her with the towel.

She chased me towards my bedroom and body checked me thru the door. Wanna guess what I never did again?

Although her "old woman my ass" retort afterwards was so Roseanne like it cracks me up when I think about it now.

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 20

I shared other posters' quibble with Roseanne's advocacy of spanking given the DJ episode first time around, but there was actually another weird point that...didn't bother me, but that was handled somewhat oddly to me.

Harris was absolutely a raging brat and I hope we see some more enjoyable moments from her going forward given the size of her role. But her Etsy plan (barring any stolen merchandise) was not a horrible one by any means. Vintage sales are a crapshoot and the market is pretty glutted, but people have made businesses out of this -- and she's only supposed to be what, 14 in this go-round? I feel like somehow this should've been addressed in its way -- hey, she's being horrible and selfish about it, but she's got some ideas! -- but instead, it was a complete negative. Even tying it back to having entrepreneurial grandparents, one whose shop failed badly and the other whose shop during the first run, at least, was reasonably successful, might've been interesting.

I don't know, the point of the story seems to have been simply that she needed funds to get out of Lanford, but it bugs that while she was neglecting all household responsibilities, she was still making herself responsible for something else that could become a career.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Dan and Roseanne's cavalier attitude about spanking bothered me because it doesn't fit with the continuity. Roseanne and Jackie's issues with their father over his spanking them was a whole ongoing storyline, and we all saw how Roseanne felt when she lost it and spanked D.J. that one time. Dan and Roseanne didn't believe in hitting their children as they were hit, I believe was the line.

I would need to rewatch the whole episode again to hear the dialog when they come to terms with it, but I wouldn't consider what Roseanne did there to be corporal punishment or just a spank.  That was more of a frenzy.

• Love 5

The Conner girls were always selfish brats, especially Darlene. It's no surprise that their girls would be too. The Conners treat each other with such contempt it's no wonder the kids have no respect. Respect is learned and you can't expect to be treated with respect unless you show some yourself.

• Love 16
(edited)
30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why? They are stupid hillbillies. Roseanne frequently and proudly declares that they are "white trash and stayin' that way until they haul us to the curb."

See, I've met true white trash hillbillies from the backwoods, like borderline Deliverance material. The Conners may be working class poor and somewhat dysfunctional, but they aren't hillbillies. Roseanne is mostly being self-deprecating when she is making fun of herself.

And honestly, even if they are just stupid white trash, that still doesn't mean Harris should mouth off like that. She is a well loved, well taken care of grandchild, so Roseanne and Dan are doing something right. 

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 18
(edited)
6 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

I shared other posters' quibble with Roseanne's advocacy of spanking given the DJ episode first time around, but there was actually another weird point that...didn't bother me, but that was handled somewhat oddly to me.

Harris was absolutely a raging brat and I hope we see some more enjoyable moments from her going forward given the size of her role. But her Etsy plan (barring any stolen merchandise) was not a horrible one by any means. Vintage sales are a crapshoot and the market is pretty glutted, but people have made businesses out of this -- and she's only supposed to be what, 14 in this go-round? I feel like somehow this should've been addressed in its way -- hey, she's being horrible and selfish about it, but she's got some ideas! -- but instead, it was a complete negative. Even tying it back to having entrepreneurial grandparents, one whose shop failed badly and the other whose shop during the first run, at least, was reasonably successful, might've been interesting.

I don't know, the point of the story seems to have been simply that she needed funds to get out of Lanford, but it bugs that while she was neglecting all household responsibilities, she was still making herself responsible for something else that could become a career.

Darlene didn't have an issue with it at the beginning of the episode, but it became a negative (1) because Harris was selfishly monopolizing the washer and dryer all day every day as if there aren't other people in the house who have clothes to wash that they actually intend to wear, and most significantly (2) when it came out that she was selling stolen clothes. I'm not exactly going to compliment my kid's entrepreneurial spirit for setting up a business that sells stolen products. That's not initiative; that's just being a thief.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 20