Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E00: Reunion Part 1

16 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Frank lost his three year old daughter, Melissa, to a drunk driver.  He really has a soft spot for children.

OMG how did I forget this?  Of course!

He wasn’t my style, (I agree, too country...), but he seems like the sweetest guy.   And I always loved Vern. 

Man, the Amy Wynn smack down was aaahmazing!

• Love 10
(edited)

I read an article yesterday that said Doug's background is in theater as an actor, and that he just picked up some design experience on the side.  I'm guessing that back in the day, he was hired as much for his comfort in front of a camera, and ability to mug, as he was for any experience as a designer.  The article said that among other things, he's worked again as an actor since the show went off the air.  And, at some point he moved to NYC and said that he and Paige hung out together some, because of their connection to theater.  

Count me among those glad to see Amy Wynn on the show.   Did anyone say anything about Edward? 

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Thalia said:

I read an article yesterday that said Doug's background is in theater as an actor, and that he just picked up some design experience on the side.  I'm guessing that back in the day, he was hired as much for his comfort in front of a camera, and ability to mug, as he was for any experience as a designer

I believe Laurie was the only actual designer on the show (the original designers). Gen was a graphic designer, Vern an architect, Hildi a stockbroker, I forget was Frank was before the show. Something crafty, I suppose!

Just now, Nordly Beaumont said:

I believe Laurie was the only actual designer on the show (the original designers). Gen was a graphic designer, Vern an architect, Hildi a stockbroker, I forget was Frank was before the show. Something crafty, I suppose!

A stockbroker? Hm. How does that qualify her for Trading Spaces?

53 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Paige is understandable because as the host she was the only one to work with all the designers and all the carpenters multiple times over the years. Frank and Amy got along with everyone. I do wonder who out of all of them, or what groupings of people, kept in touch over the years.

Frank kept in touch with Doug, Hildy and Paige he said in an interview.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wings said:

There is a need for a renovation show with a 10k budget so more viewers could identify; clearly the needs of the homeowners would be smaller in scope.   I stopped watching house hunters when I found out they have to have already bought the house making the hunt for one a sham. 

I think TS with a day or two more (possibly play it as a long weekend project) and even just $5k each would allow for some solid things to be purchased. It would also allow for the paint to dry so the paint job can be decent seeing as now the show will be in HD and I could see the streaks and lap lines in RD.

That would be interesting to me as then you could see choices between things like better new flooring or new furniture, more expensive tiles vs a new microwave, etc, the choices we all make when we redorate a room on a budget.  A couple thousand can buy you pretty nice couches and chairs these days and still leave money for the decorations part, it would be nice to see furniture not made from mattresses or that one couch style from Ikea.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is one of those shows that I didn't realize I missed so much until I saw that it was coming back -- with most of the same familiar faces and the same basic format!    I certainly did not like some of the finished rooms by some of the designers  back when I used to watch this show religiously about 15-16 years ago, but I loved the reveals (good or bad), and I loved the lightheartedness and humor of the show.  

I always liked Frank, Doug, Vern and Laurie.   And... I always wondered what went on behind the scenes in terms of arguments we didn't see -- arguments between designers and homeowners, between designers and carpenters, and between the actual family and friends working together on the projects.    I also wondered what some of the people who "acted" as though they loved their rooms said when the cameras were gone.

I remember the feather room.  I remember the room that looked like a circus tent.  I remember the room decorated with CDs.   I remember the red and white TV designs/outlines on the wall.   I remember Doug's idea to put the seductive picture of the homeowner on the wall, making it seem like a bordello.   Ahh... the good old days.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 5

I liked both the all white room and the fireplace Doug gave that ridiculous crying Pan. Both rooms looked great imho.

i watched the straw episode with Hildi earlier and I think her concept may have worked if 

1. She had mixed the ceiling compound to a terra cotta color, and not the awful pink she got. nd

2. If Hildi had decorated the room for a couple WITHOUT children. It appears she doesn’t have a clue how their little minds work. I have no children, and even I know everything ends up in their mouths! 

And... I loved Alex too. Paige is just too damn LOUD!!! 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, fountain said:

I think TS with a day or two more (possibly play it as a long weekend project) and even just $5k each would allow for some solid things to be purchased. It would also allow for the paint to dry so the paint job can be decent seeing as now the show will be in HD and I could see the streaks and lap lines in RD.

That would be interesting to me as then you could see choices between things like better new flooring or new furniture, more expensive tiles vs a new microwave, etc, the choices we all make when we redorate a room on a budget.  A couple thousand can buy you pretty nice couches and chairs these days and still leave money for the decorations part, it would be nice to see furniture not made from mattresses or that one couch style from Ikea.

Room Crashers (is that still filming? I only ever see Yard Crashers on the schedule) did something like this. You provided extra working hands and the contractor and materials were donated or paid for by the show to totally redo a room.

I like your idea about a design show based around choices. It would give sponsors a chance to pimp design options (which they would love) and would have the drama of having to make compromises to stick with a budget. New countertops or new floor. Fancy porcelain arabesques or ceramic subway tiles. Oops, you picked shaker cabinets, all you can afford is the ceramic! And they could tell us where they get the frickin' product. Everyone is doing oversized hexagon tiles in kitchens with multiple colors now and fancy concrete tiles--show me the company that makes/carries them so I can research and decide for myself if I can afford them.

• Love 2
(edited)

Paige said something about feeling bad for the designers when the homeowners really hated the room, but damn, the designers usually were completely disregarding the homeowners' wishes, 

and I'd like to think that the reactions might have gotten through their thick skins.

And I wouldn't hire any designer too ignorant to realize that feathers, hay, moss, or flowers, could trigger allergies, and certain collect dust.  How do you clean that crap?

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I hated what Doug did to that lovely, enthusiastic couple who were huge fans of the show. I've never been a fan of his and this tipped me over into full blown detestation. I can't stand how he acts like he's this lovable scamp, meanwhile he can barely mask his contempt for the plebes who don't get his vision. Taking everything in that beautiful room and pouring white paint on it was not "design". I can't believe how exercised I still get over it! Doug's a jerk. I like Hildi better than him. She's crazy but at least she's cheerful. 

Andrew Dan-Jumbo was on While You Were Out. 

Dang I never watched that!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

Ty is still a prick, talking over people and asserting himself like he is the know all of interviews and production.

Ty was the only one that got a network gig post-TS, so he does know a little something more about production and interviews than the others.  The rest either stayed on cable or went back to obscurity (or both).

• Love 4
15 hours ago, MaKaM said:

Room Crashers (is that still filming? I only ever see Yard Crashers on the schedule) did something like this. You provided extra working hands and the contractor and materials were donated or paid for by the show to totally redo a room.

I don't think any of the Crashers shows (Room, Yard, Bath, House) are still filming. Yard Crashers seems to be the only one still running old eps.  Crashers did the 2 (or 3) day time limitation, but pretty much had an unlimited budget and dozens of extra hands to work on projects. Other shows have realistically limited budgets (I Hate My Bath, I Hate My Kitchen, I Hate My Yard - DIY does love itself a theme!) but no time constraints and they bring in professionals as well as having the homeowners do some of the work. No one but Trading Spaces does the time and budget constraints. Both of those prove that the show is much more about entertainment than about design.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:14 PM, jcbrown said:

I thought Amy Wynn was not coming back so I was very happy to see her.

Does the host not have a mirror or is she color-blind? I have rosacea and I am not sure why anyone would choose to make themselves up to look like they have selective rosacea on their cheekbones.

I was thinking the same thing!!!!!

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Bastet said:

They teased an introduction of the new designers, including them getting advice from the OGs, but that wasn’t included.  I wanted to see that, because I recognize one of them from somewhere but have no idea where, and I wanted to learn her name so I can look her up.  I guess between that not happening and this thread now designating part one, there's a part two that's still to come.

There was a new designer that looked like Sabrina Soto (HGTV) but I looked her up on IMDB and couldn't find anything about her being on TS.

Frank looks exactly the same as does Carter and Hildi.  Ty definitely has aged the most, didn't he struggle with some sort of substance abuse at some point?  Laurie pretty much looks the same and I totally agree with everyone that is not loving Paige's flat hair.....it does not compliment her cute face.  I thought Genevieve looked lovely and Vern has obviously had some botox.   

Doug at least had a little self awareness about some of his past designs but Hildi apparently does not.  I agree with the above poster who gave the plumber analogy.                                                                                  

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, mtlchick said:

The way I see it, they had probably the easiest room to do over post makeover because it was a stark canvas. 

They had to strip and re-stain all that woodwork - which the one homeowner had only recently done before Doug painted it all white.  If I'd been them, I'd have come after Doug with a nail gun.

14 hours ago, auntjess said:

And I wouldn't hire any designer too ignorant to realize that feathers, hay, moss, or flowers, could trigger allergies, and certain collect dust.  How do clean that crap?

Plus, when you staple thousands of flowers or feathers or hundreds of cds to the wall, you're poking holes in the drywall.  Which could create a serious mold problem in a bathroom, Hildi.  Which might even get you sued.

• Love 9
On 4/8/2018 at 12:33 PM, tinderbox said:

Joanie, one of the new carpenters, was a finalist (came in second) on Season 6 of America's Next Top Model some years ago.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? Joanie with the teeth? She's a carpenter now? And a good one, I assume, if she's on this show. I'll look forward to seeing her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Yes, that was Sabrina Soto.

I just looked her up, and, yes - that's the name of the woman I recognized in the teaser for this reunion.  Looking at her credits, it was Bang For Your Buck that I saw her in.  Thank you.

Wow, these people look pretty great, mostly.

Ty has aged the most....and what's with the Keith Partridge , circa 1970, get-up and necklace? Just looked it up...he's 53. Egads. And he still talks as if he has a mouthful of nails.

Paige's hair isn't so flattering....and she's very fit, but looks a little bigger-fit, if that makes sense.

Vern and Gen with the Botox: Extreme Edition. Yikes.

Hildi is even thinner.

The rest look the same. Doug looks better with grey hair. Amy looks girlie-girl, which seems strange.

Guess they all needed something to do. Glad they found them available....probably wouldn't have 5-8 years ago.

ETA: The Ty observation is from the first episode (now airing)....got a little mixed up. He and Hildi are now riding bikes through paint wearing flip-flops/ kitten heels respectively. Dumb as ever.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Paige's hair isn't so flattering....and she's very fit, but looks a little bigger-fit, if that makes sense.

I saw Paige at the Home and Garden show and she wore a belly-baring top and low slung jeans. Definitely fit, super flat tummy. But I also didn't think she was as teeny-tiny as she used to be.

1 hour ago, drafan said:

Amy looks girlie-girl, which seems strange.

She looked like she was in one of those teen movies where they take the tom-boy and dress her up for the prom!

• Love 2

I'd forgotten the homeowner's reaction to the Prison of Love reveal.  She just laughed her heart out.  And good for the White Room guys for forgiving Doug.  Painting over woodwork that they had just stripped and refinished was a crime.  There's an earlier episode where the homeowners working with Doug refused to paint their neighbor's just redone hardwood floors, and Doug threw a hissy fit.

Are they bringing back the designers who weren't on the reunion show?  Kristi, Laura, Edward, Kia, the guy Laura was going out with, the new guy from the big contest

And who was the really hunky carpenter they had later in the run?  I've seen his picture in high end advertising pictures.  He was gorgeous.

16 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

18 hours ago, drafan said:

Amy looks girlie-girl, which seems strange.

She looked like she was in one of those teen movies where they take the tom-boy and dress her up for the prom

I think with Amy Wynn, we always saw her in “work” attire-functional clothing for carpentry, no frills or jewelry and her hair was always pulled back for practical purposes. At the reunion, she was “normal”, if that makes any sense.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I think with Amy Wynn, we always saw her in “work” attire-functional clothing for carpentry, no frills or jewelry and her hair was always pulled back for practical purposes. At the reunion, she was “normal”, if that makes any sense.

I always thought Amy was a "girly girl" but, unlike Hildi, Amy understands that when you are working on building, painting, climbing scaffolding, etc, it makes more sense to throw on some jeans, sneakers and a tee and keep the dangling jewelry to a minimum. I think the Amy of the reunion is normal Amy when she's not building things.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I'd forgotten the homeowner's reaction to the Prison of Love reveal.  She just laughed her heart out.  And good for the White Room guys for forgiving Doug.  Painting over woodwork that they had just stripped and refinished was a crime.  There's an earlier episode where the homeowners working with Doug refused to paint their neighbor's just redone hardwood floors, and Doug threw a hissy fit.

Are they bringing back the designers who weren't on the reunion show?  Kristi, Laura, Edward, Kia, the guy Laura was going out with, the new guy from the big contest

And who was the really hunky carpenter they had later in the run?  I've seen his picture in high end advertising pictures.  He was gorgeous.

I think you're thinking of Faber Dewar

On 4/7/2018 at 10:21 PM, aquarian1 said:

I loved Doug's reaction to the Prisoner of Love room rehash, when he saw the toilet bench and was like "what was I thinking".  And he was right, w/o those toilets and the solitary confinement area (? not sure if I got that right) the room was pretty nice.  I also loved when someone asked who was he dating at the time to make that room and his answer was "Obviously no one!  Who would date that?"

I was never a huge Doug fan but this was refreshing. 

On 4/7/2018 at 11:42 PM, Bastet said:

Unless Frank developed an ongoing connection with the family for whom he did the mural of the little girl, I do not understand why they attempted to make hay out of that (no pun about Hildi's room intended).  

I was having major secondary embarrassment in that moment. 

On 4/7/2018 at 11:58 PM, aliya said:

I managed to see some of the old shows today and caught 'crying Pam.' Now that some years have passed and I actually see what Doug did (as opposed to just Pam crying), I don't think it was that bad. It was a different look, but that's what he does. I love the kind of fireplace they had originally and can see why Pam didn't want it changed, but it wasn't awful.

I remember how angry I was at Pam when I originally watched this episode. I feel a little more sympathetic for her now, but I still like the room, and I think the fireplace was a major improvement. I wonder if they'd have liked it better if the walls were blue or another more cheerful color, instead of brown.

Speaking of brown, I'd never seen Angry Jessie's episode before and I can't believe it! What a lunatic!

On 4/8/2018 at 11:30 AM, guilfoyleatpp said:

With her hair so straight and flat, Paige reminded me of someone who has been on a show recently. I can't put my finger on it, but I'll get there.

She reminds me of the twins from Double Trouble (80s show). 

On 4/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, guilfoyleatpp said:

YASSSSS! And I've been watching UnReal lately...so the flat-iron flickness of both their hair is similar. Like, it's flat, and it is somehow flippy or bouncy or...something.

Well, I guess there are some things that can't be put into words. Or that *I* cannot put into words. Leave it at that.

I am really not a fan of Paige's new look--I never liked her flippy do but I am majorly missing it now! Constance Zimmer is pulling it off way better.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, Infie said:

The thing that really peeved me was Hildi saying that "you don't tell the plumber how to do his job when you get one" as a reason for completely ignoring the homeowner's wishes when coming up with a design.  If I brought in a plumber and asked them to unclog a drain and instead they sprayed sewage around my living room, you're damned straight I'd be telling them off. 

I thought Genevieve said that. But I totally agree about your plumber analogy.

• Love 3

I don't remember Doug's white room, so seeing it today for the first time, I thought it was gorgeous.   Of course, I have no backstory of what the rest of the house looks like, or the homeowners' style. Why did they hate it so much?

Well, for one, they'd just spent however many painstaking hours it took to strip those windows so they could be stained the way nature intended, and now would have to do it again or give up and paint over them, but, fundamentally, their house was filled with warm, deep colors and bold accents (like when they redid the room, with red walls and dark trim) and the cool, sparse décor of that room was not at all them and completely out of step with the rest of their home.  They loved the black room they did for their friends, so it wasn't that they hated monochromatic, dramatic, or things outside the box in general; they were open to some real design, but Doug picked a design that was particularly ill-suited to them. 

• Love 3