Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Not Our First Rodeo

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So once it came out that they used to have it crammed full of junk, that little story line made a lot more sense

And having a Murphy/Pennington bed that goes in the wall? It will be crammed with even MORE junk!

"I see it as a deconstructed penguin" "I get it, but that's so sad!"

• Love 9

I liked Doug’s room, and I’m relieved that the burlap was stapled on not glued onto the walls.  I was not a fan of Hildi’s room.  It was too over the top.

I am just happy that there were no wall treatments that weren’t easy to fix.  That’s always what I hated about so many of the old episodes.  They did things that were difficult to reverse. 

• Love 15

I would have liked Hildi's better if she used just that yellowy-green on the ceiling. The poor homeowner sister didn't seem to like it, but won't cover it because of the work that went into it. Maybe she could try just painting the ceiling a solid color? I live alone (58 year old woman) - my rule is nothing too heavy for me to move by myself. So the Murphy bed would always be down. Which would be a waste of Ty's time! I don't love blue so I didn't really like it because there was too much blue. I did love those chairs though.

Burlap I've worked with has always had a terrible smell - there must be "better" burlap? That room was really pretty, warm, and cozy! When they did the reveal, was the door to the bathroom open? Did I just imagine seeing a toilet?

• Love 7

The wavy lines on Hildi's would drive me CRAZY.  Doug's did look better than expected (especially up near the top since they didn't take the crown off and when they were first putting the burlap up, you could see the fraying, raw edge) but that avocado green did look very 1970s romper room when it was done. Tropical-ish but old tropical bungalow which, is a style, but maybe not a great style that needed to come back. Hildi's wall of mirrors was a head-scratcher. People rip those out, not put them up.

But, it was more interesting than another Drew and Jonathan gray-and-white-extravaganza.

• Love 14
(edited)

Doug's design turned out great! I have always enjoyed his personality, so glad to see him back.  Paige is as quirky as ever.  Carter's hair is amazing! 

Good to have this show back! What a fun watch.  

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 10

I only tuned in for the "reveal"....  Doug's room looked nice (although kind of dark).  And I guess Hildy's room was better than I expected.  Until I found out the mother of the homeowners would be using it; if it had been done for a kid, it would have made sense.  Just my opinion.  Since I missed most of the show, I have no idea what they started with.

Maybe I am a frustrated decorator; and I know that these people are designers and have worked hard at their craft.  But.  I think it is a disservice to the homeowners and to the viewers when a designer goes for the shock value instead of what the homeowner might want or like.  I am speaking mainly of Hildy.  I have seen rooms she has done for clients outside of the show, and her designs are always really nice.

• Love 21

I quit watching probably about the time Ty left the show so I think some of the rules might have changed? I'm not sure what's new for the reboot and what was already in place back in its original run. Did each homeowner always have a carpenter? Did the homeowners have much say in the budget? At the beginning Paige said it was up to them to keep the budget in check. 

I liked Doug's room the best although I hate the idea of fabric on the walls. How do you keep it clean? Hildy was way over the top with her attitude this time. She kept bitching about the homework not being done but that was freaking ridiculous! That's a shit ton of intricate painting to do and they said they were up until 4am! Where was Hildy? Sleeping?  Egg blowing, while hilariously funny to watch seemed cruel and pointless.Won't they break as soon as someone touches them? 

Back in the original run there was barely cell phones let alone social media like it is today. I wonder how they handle cell phone usage during the two days. 

• Love 9

I loathed that the chairs were placed right up against the mirror in Hildi's room  - if that was my house, I'd forever be missing the seat and plopping down on the floor instead.

Lol at Carter building a bed frame around a tent pole. Oopsie!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I only tuned in for the "reveal"....  Doug's room looked nice (although kind of dark).  And I guess Hildy's room was better than I expected.  Until I found out the mother of the homeowners would be using it; if it had been done for a kid, it would have made sense.  Just my opinion.  Since I missed most of the show, I have no idea what they started with.

Maybe I am a frustrated decorator; and I know that these people are designers and have worked hard at their craft.  But.  I think it is a disservice to the homeowners and to the viewers when a designer goes for the shock value instead of what the homeowner might want or like.  I am speaking mainly of Hildy.  I have seen rooms she has done for clients outside of the show, and her designs are always really nice.

Hildi’s room would be great for a pre-teen or teenager.  But,not for anyone over the age of about 15.  I did like the chairs she recovered.  That was the only thing I liked in that room.

• Love 3

I didn't like either room. Doug's was too dark for such a small room and it looked dated. Hildi's room was just too much-that pattern would have ok as curtains but not on all the walls. Who wants strings of egg shells hanging down plus a bowl of white eggshells? I also thought the black and white art work looked awful. They had all those nice accessories from Wayfair to choose from plus $2,000 and a carpenter-they could have done way better.

• Love 18

Underwhelmed.  I hate that Doug and Hildi were first up....and together.  My only worse pairing would be Laurie and Frank.  I like the idea of Hildi's room, just not the colors.  If she had used different colors I would have liked the room.  I did not like Doug's room. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn't like either room. Doug's was too dark for such a small room and it looked dated. Hildi's room was just too much-that pattern would have ok as curtains but not on all the walls. Who wants strings of egg shells hanging down plus a bowl of white eggshells? I also thought the black and white art work looked awful. They had all those nice accessories from Wayfair to choose from plus $2,000 and a carpenter-they could have done way better.

Yeah, I'm not running out to recreate any of those ideas. EVERYONE had a red dining room for a while there and I blame Vern. And using painters tape for stripes was definitely something that they pioneered hard. These ideas were...kinda boring and also too weird. I guess I'll still tune in and see what Carter and Ty do next week. Their stuff was by far the best parts of either room.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Who wants strings of egg shells hanging down plus a bowl of white eggshells?

Those would have been in the compost pile so quick! They added nothing to the room and just made it look even busier. I think the room can be saved if she really doesn't want to paint over all her sister and BIL's hard work, it needs some taming down. Plain ceiling, plain curtain, ditch the ugly "art" and eggshells. Move the cool chairs out when/if mom comes to stay because there's no room for them with the bed down.

• Love 13

When they showed the “this season on Trading Spaces” promo, my first thought was: if you’re going to show the reactions of the reveals, that kind of takes away some of the suspense on whether or not they’re going to like their room.

• Love 13

Product placement usually takes me right out of a show but I love the idea of that Wayfair corner (I would have had a ball in there). It was a great way to make the HO's feel like they had a hand in impacting the final design.

I have never seen an extended headboard that I've actually liked - I find they just look contrived - but Doug's worked perfectly in that smaller room. I really liked Hildi's fabric on the pillows; I think it would look great against more of that plush navy. I appreciate that she put a lot of thought into making sure the room was always usable but I just couldn't see anyone sleeping while surrounded by that pattern. And at this point in my life putting a mirrored wall where I would have to look at it first thing in the morning just seems mean.

• Love 21
(edited)

Deconstructed penguin? It looked more like deconstructed highway pile-up.   And eggshells strung together like Christmas popcorn is not my idea of sculpture.

I'm not a fan of Ty in particular, but the best part of the episode was him calling Hildi out on seeming to want to punish the homeowners for their failure to complete the ceiling homework.  

I didn't mind Doug's room, though I thought the colors were a bit drab.   And they should have closed the bathroom door for the reveal. It made the room look more like a cheap motel room.

eta: Assigning homeowners to an electrical project like installing a ceiling fan seems a bit risky unless they've said in advance that they know how to do such a thing. 

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 22
(edited)
4 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

eta: Assigning homeowners to an electrical project like installing a ceiling fan seems a bit risky unless they've said in advance that they know how to do such a thing.

I'll betcha they have someone experienced help them with that type of thing. Seems like they'd need to to cover their asses.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 2

Meh. Back in the day the show was fun but now with so much social media people can just look on Pinterest or Instagram for inspiration and ideas for redecorating within a budget. I’m not into the shock value bad designs like I was when the show first aired. I’d rather see serious design ideas.  

• Love 8

I didn’t like either room but I’m so happy to have a decorating show back on the air. I’m also interested in how rooms are painted, accessorized etc. I don’t feel the same about the house flipping shows because the rooms are staged, not  personalized and the homeowners don’t get to keep anything so we never really see how the house looks. 

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Underwhelmed.  I hate that Doug and Hildi were first up....and together.  My only worse pairing would be Laurie and Frank.  I like the idea of Hildi's room, just not the colors.  If she had used different colors I would have liked the room.  I did not like Doug's room. 

Hello, my Polar opposite!  (Smile)  Frank and Laurie are my favorites!

I really dislike Hildi, because she rarely seems to try to please the homeowners...she's all about being outrageous.  There wasn't one thing in that room I'd keep, and that egg art?  In the time they had they couldn't possibly have cleaned those eggshells well before using them, which means that thing was stinking by the time the reveal was over.  And the paint job was so poorly done in that room, as well as too busy.  Hard work or not, I'd be painting over that the next day, ripping down the mirrors, and ditching the Murphy bed, too.

Doug's room was dark, and I didn't like the burlap.  I did like the pops of bright green.  And good grief, yes...close the bathroom door!!

I seem to recall when this show aired a decade ago that there was a minimum room size, due to filming logistics.  These two rooms were tiny!!

Looking forward to better rooms to come.  And I miss Edward...does anyone know why he's not back?

• Love 22

Too much pattern for a room that is supposed to be a guest room or a retreat.  I want a retreat to be calming, not optically intense.  Besides, yeah, they worked very hard on doing that pattern on the walls and ceiling but in the end, the paint job looked pretty crappy.

Doug's room looked better but it seemed so dark.  And I like dark walls and material.  At least he didn't do venetian plaster, his old go to. 

Doug and Hildi are probably my least favorite decorators on the show.  I'm looking forward to seeing Frank, Vern and Laurie.  Looking forward to Sabrina Soto as well.

Nice to see the show come back. 

On a shallow note, Paige's hair looked so flat and dark.  I'll go over to the other side of the pool.

• Love 12

The wall in Hildi's room looked like the cheezy mirrored closet doors found in cheap condos.  You can buy hardware for Murphy beds that make it very easy to put up and down but not in their budget, clearly.  The sister did not like it but was very gracious in her reaction. 

I was pleasantly surprised by Doug's room, I liked it. 

Hildi got a little cranky that the homework wasn't done. LOL  Crazy amount of work!  

I liked the Wayfair corner, nice touch. 

Though Hildi and Doug do crazy things I like watching them.  Laurie gets on my nerves  irritates the fuck out of me.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, mlp said:

The main thing I've learned from this show, then and now, is not to go on Trading Spaces, ever.  I can't imagine agreeing to have no control about something being done to my own home.  The only designer I'd trust is Vern and I doubt the couples have any say in who they get.  I absolutely can't stand Hildi.  She's interested only in doing her own weird thing and she has no respect for or concern for the people who have to live with her bizarre choices or go to the trouble and expense of fixing them.

I liked both of the couples in the first episode and I felt sorry for the sister who had to work on Hildi's bad ideas while worrying about her sister's reaction.

Blue Team sister (the homeowners that got Hildi's room) didn't seem to like it much and I got the impression she was working herself up into a guilt-trip for keeping it because her sister and BIL worked so hard on the paint and the pattern. On a related note I was wondering about the scene early in the episode when she was apprehensive about the burlap Doug was going to put all over the walls and how Paige and Doug basically told her to deal with it and do it. Later Paige had the Paige Cam and went out to find the sister and said that she hoped she didn't feel like she was being bullied into doing the design. That was new. Doug rarely cared whether or not a homeowner approved of the design he was working out.

• Love 7

I think for the Murphy bed the home owners can go out and buy the special spring/hinge set and add it so the bed is easier to lift and let down.

I didn’t mind Hildi’s walls, I would just repaint the ceiling.  

The furniture in Doug’s room was very nice, Carter did a really good job.  Doug’s room really came together, it looked very well done not the cheap crap the old TS always had.

• Love 10
(edited)

I like that each team has a carpenter now; sharing one was ridiculous.  The carpentry will always be one of the worst parts of this show, because the budget necessitates a lot of MDF or wood that can only be painted, and the timeline forces them to do things wrong (all those nails instead of tongue and groove and glue!), but at least now there will be a little less "I can't finish!" drama.

I like Paige telling the sister who acted like burlap was dung she was being asked to put on the walls that she needed to be more brave, and this is not unprecedented.

In theory, I like Hildi’s idea for making the room usable during the majority of the time when no one is staying in it, but I didn’t see where she made it usable – when the bed was up – for anything other than sitting in those cool chairs and staring at the funky walls.  I think the design should have been on the ceiling OR the walls (preferably the ceiling, and then replicated in fabric down below), not both.  But I laughed at her just keeping on with it on day two after the sister/brother-in-law thought they’d be clever and not finish it overnight.

I like the new segment where they can go shopping and pick something - that doesn't count against the budget - that the designer must include, and like that Paige reminded both of them not to pick something stupid to fuck with the designer, as it needed to go in the room.  I wonder how they decide who gets to pick first.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

As far as I can tell, they raised the budget amount to $2000, and added the Wayfair buy corner, but otherwise are going to be constrained: but at least the amount isn’t ridiculously low. Although I suspect the increase didn’t make up for 17 years of inflation. Ty has calmed down and pairing him and Carter as the carpenters was good. Will be interesting as both will also be designing this season, if I understood correctly.

tThe rooms nothing overwhelmed me, and nothing that can’t be adjusted later. Neither were perfect but neither were gawd-awful, either.

• Love 3

I can't imagine being able to do much with those tiny rooms. The original beds in both seemed to take up 90% of the room.

I love pattern, but Hildi's room was SO overwhelming. Why not the pattern on one wall and a different color used in the print on each of the other walls?

I thought Hildi's chairs were fantastic the way they were. I get that the color didn't match her scheme, but the covers she made cheapened them.

Carter did a good job on the dresser!

• Love 9
(edited)

I was excited for the show to come back. I am sick of seeing 50,000 kitchen redo's and like the idea of having ideas I could afford. During the original show My husband and I were renting a condo to be closer to a NICU. I took ideas from 3 episodes to use the the condo. The landlord was so happy he gave us free rent and I loved where I lived (and how well the condo functioned) during a hard time. Years later I own a large open floor plan home and I am hoping to see some ideas that arent's 50k redos to make today's open floor plans be more usable and functional.  I was surprised they put Hildi on the first episode but I guess they were going for shock value over ideas people could use. I was hoping for Vern/Laurie Vern/Genivive first episode. 

Maybe it was the small bedrooms but it did not seem like a  $2000 budget plus the extra wayfair bonus. I missed how much they used to go over the budget. I remember how much people wanted to change flooring, carpet, counters, or get a new couch and designers and HO's had to decide which big item was most important. It felt more relatable. Most people can only afford one big ticket item for a redo and then some paint or accessories. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 11

Oh, my goodness!  I hated Hildi's room.  The pattern was soo busy! Plus a mirrored wall to double that pattern? I wouldn't be able sleep there!  I thought the pattern on the ceiling or on one wall would have been enough.  I also didn't like her attitude when the sister and her husband said that they couldn't finish all of their homework. The couple stayed up until 4:00 am just to do the walls!!  She sounded so annoyed with them for not completing her vision.  And insisting that it HAD to be done.  I was grateful for Ty speaking up for them but she snapped at him too.    I really did not like the completed room.  (I didn't mind the murphy bed and the idea of making the room useful for when there aren't any guests.)

As for Doug... He asked what they (the other sister and husband) would like.  They said something relaxing, Hawaiian feel and mentioned colors, specifically for the walls,  And he looked as if he was listening to them.  THEN he comes in with burlap!! Burlap! And explained that he had used it on the first show of the first season of Trading Spaces.  That's not a good enough reason IMO. Plus a chocolate brown for the ceiling! At the end, the room did look better than I expected  and the couple seemed to genuinely like it.  

I hope that they help the sister paint the dizzying room and help take down the mirror, too.  

As others have said, these two are my least favorite designers.  Mostly because they generally disregard anything the owners (or neighbors) don't want changed or a specific style or color that they are not fond of.

I did like that they kept the original "rules" and added the Wayfair store and a carpenter for each team (instead of sharing just one carpenter).

• Love 17
(edited)

I thought Doug's room was nice - much nicer than what I expected from him once he mentioned burlap. Since it was the first episode, I thought he might go over the top, but he didn't. 

As far as Hildi's room - I hated it.  Even though it's used as a guest room infrequently, that is still it's primary purpose.  A bedroom is supposed to be relaxing, soothing -not jarring.   And she was so insistent on doing the ceiling the same way which just added to the mess, then throw in egg shells and that ridiculous bike art.   Hildi just tries to shock everyone with her designs.  It'll get old about halfway through the season.

I'm glad the show it back - I like having 2 carpenters, and I like the Wayfair store.  I agree that it's nice to have a decorating show on the air.  HGTV used to have them, but in the last few years, it's all house flipping and rennovation which I'm sick of. 

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 20

Honestly anyone that goes on TS must do it just for the experience because as much as I like the show the rooms are awful. The neighbors could just help each other redo their rooms on their own and end up with a beautiful room. Any room I have redone was done by not spending much money so we all know it can be done. It just seems weird to have a designer and then basically you are left with a room that is harder to fix than it was in the first place. I had hoped the reboot would actually have some well done rooms but not so much so far. 

• Love 9

The thing with TS is the rooms kind of have to have some kind of theme or else you just end up with the same room replicated each week with a few small adjustments.  Kind of like watching the Property Brothers where there is a lot of the sameness week after week.  I find shows like the Property Brothers aren’t really must see tv, they are just background tv as they really all are almost identical.  The only thing interesting on PB is space layout and how to remove and adjust walls, the decorating is standard builder mass appeal.

I was pretty impressed the first rooms done on TS were’t grey and white.

When you look at design magazines there are many varying styles and interesting looks but design tv on the other hand is pretty bland.  I always found TS to do a bit more interesting. Tonight’s rooms were pretty decent, the major flaws were because of the limits of time and money, conceptually I think the rooms were fine.  I thought Hildi’s fabric was gorgeous.  And the green of Doug’s room was a great colour.

• Love 2

I was surprised that Hildi went with using geometric designs on the wall as it seemed really similar to Laurie's Matisse playroom.  Hildi had stated on the reunion portion that she didn't like to use ideas that had been done before, yet I felt that she was using design from Laurie's playbook.  I guess it was "different" because it was also on the ceiling.  I hated the "bicycle art" and felt that the entire room was just too much.   Have never cared for Hildi although I have usually enjoyed Doug (with a few exceptions).  Really liked that they each had their own carpenters.  Wonder if that was a contract negotiation by the carpenters as, well, all of us have gotten older since the original run of the show.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I kind of hated that they choose to have Doug and Hildi on the first episode because I always thought they were the worst designers of the original bunch.

Doug's room turned out better than I expected. I really liked it other than the chocolate brown ceiling. Is anyone even using chocolate brown these days? If it were my room I would repaint the ceiling a very light blue or green to lighten it up, otherwise I would leave the rest of it. The furniture Carter built was beautiful.

I hated Hildi's room. Newsflash Hildi, you ain't all that. They said on the reunion that Hildi never want to do something that had ever been done before. Often it hasn't been done for good reason.

Who didn't think Doug and Hildi would be the first? Shock value. I liked Doug's room OK but Hildi's was awful. I loathe mirror walls and it looked like being trapped inside a beach ball. Doug's, they could repaint the ceiling and it would be fine. 

11 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Product placement usually takes me right out of a show but I love the idea of that Wayfair corner (I would have had a ball in there). It was a great way to make the HO's feel like they had a hand in impacting the final design.

I love Wayfair! That was a really nice touch. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Eggs are blown out to make Ukrainian eggs (which I know how to say but not how to spell).  We made lots as kids with the wax and dye and now 30 plus years later they are fine and not rotting but we did rinse them out a bit.  I didn’t really think that part was crazy as it is a pretty common thing, it is interesting to read that no one here has ever done that before, I guess being Ukrainian it is just something we did as kids. Stringing them was weird but in the bowl was kind of interesting.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 10