Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E17: Chadwick Boseman / Cardi B

• Start Topic

(edited)

Clueless as to both.  Time for some DuckDuckGo . . .

Ohhh.  The Black Panther guy (not much for comic book movies).  The 42 guy (love baseball movies). 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2
(edited)

Cold Open: Fox News cold open! Oh, and Trump shows up, you teased me. Man, "do not congratulate" seemed like forever ago. I like that they finally covered how easy Trump gets board. Of course he'd confuse Rosie O'Donnell with Roseanne, and Mexican caravans with Fury Road. Mad Maxicans is what they'll be talking about tomorrow if something better doesn't come along later tonight.

"And now for another Fox News Alert: Mexicans. This has been a Fox News Alert." They really need to go after Fox News more besides Fox & Friends.

Monologue: T'Challa himself is here! He's so good. I would watch "Wake Up Wakanda."And hey, 42 reference for @JZL! Okay, bringing out Panthro to call out Black Panther is genius. It was great, but oddly structured. Like, Panthro should've showed up earlier, and he should've broken into James Brown (cut off too soon, IMO) when he brought it up. Otherwise, great.

Nike Pro-Chiller Leggings: Ha, realistic leggings commercial. "ONE. SINGLE. BAGEL." See? People are gonna be talking about Couch Paninis instead of Mad Maxicans.

Black Jeopardy: I got hyped seeing T'Challa in the cut to the set during the break, and he didn't disappoint. He's TOO wholesome and respectful. This whole sketch was just to build up T'Challa saying "Aww, Hell Naw!", wasn't it? Because I'm here for it. The Tom Hanks one is still the best of these sketches, though. It's hard to top that one. "Sprite: How did WE become the Black Soda?" is one of those things you don't think about, but I liked that joke.

Fertility Frontier: Pregnant Man sketch. Hoo boy. I'm kind of relieved that the sketch was only describing the birth (and also uncomfortable because oh dear god, tuliping triplets) Was this the same Karen referenced in Black Jeopardy? 

Aidy B: I always love glimpses into backstage, including that sketch board (Wakanda Forever was the only one that made it in). I liked Aidy in this. It was okay overall. (EDIT: Every sketch in the show was on that board.)

WU: Finally, someone on this show is imitating Mark Zuckerberg. He was so delightfully creepy. "America, look in my shark eyes." And loved the return of Every Boxer's Girlfriend. Of course her name was Angel.

Magic Mirror: Look into the magic mirror, and see yourself as a Disney Princess. Instead of Leslie Jones seeing Tiana...it's R Kelly? "WHAT ARE YOU UP TO, R. KELLY?" Was my favorite line, but I agree with her: This is the last place R. Kelly needs to be. They could've used ANYBODY else for the same effect...and they went with R. Kelly. 

Firefighters: Hoo boy did this not land. At all. I have no idea what this sketch was about, and seems like nobody else did, either. I'd prefer one of those other sketches we saw in the background of the Aidy B sketch over this.

Restaurant: See, just let Chadwick Boseman sing! The wig game was on point in this sketch. But this was lame, aside from the singing.

Game of Life: DACA Edition: Why was this sketch so late in the show?? This was some good commentary, as was Jasper wondering how everything fit in the box.

Wakanda Forever: Oh, this was good. Pete and Beck offering to give back Drake and not dabbing in exchange for keeping Wakanda Forever reminded me of Chappelle Show's Racial Draft sketch, and that's a good thing. And Kenan's bit at the end was fun. "I love Wakenda!"

That face when Chadwick Boseman admits the writers had lousy ideas right in the monologue. Episodes tend to lose steam after Update, but this was more of a nosedive this time. Overall, I'd say it was okay at best. Next week is John Mulaney and I can't wait! Also, apparently Cardi B revealing her pregnancy was a major thing that happened?

How soon will SNL upload a sketch that was cut in favor of the firefighter one? Like, tomorrow, right?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 7

Couch leggings.  My life, right there. I need these.

I agree with @Galileo908 - the last 40  minutes of the show were not really good.  But I enjoyed most of it before then.   

But really, it's all about my couch.  And my couch leggings.

• Love 9

As a white guy, I'm way too self-conscious about appropriation for expressing love towards Black Panther in terms of merch. Wakanda salute? Nope. I'd probably work myself into a tizzy about whether the left or right arm goes in front.

First mention of the movie . . . Kenan comes out as Panthro from Thundercats. I don't think human categories work for humanoid cats, but Panthro was voiced by Cliff Huxtable's dad. And Kenan sold it so well. Damn, he's been there fifteen years?!?

6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

How soon will SNL upload a sketch that was cut in favor of the firefighter one? Like, tomorrow, right?

Given the fire at Trump Tower that killed at least one person, I'm mildly surprised this made the cut tonight.

How famous is Cardi B? I'm not disrespecting . . . I'm just not into today's music scene. Also, how does John Mulaney rate to host next week? I'm thinking there will be one "Too Much Tuna" sketch with Nick Kroll. Those never land for me.

• Love 3
Just now, Lantern7 said:

How famous is Cardi B? I'm not disrespecting . . . I'm just not into today's music scene. Also, how does John Mulaney rate to host next week? I'm thinking there will be one "Too Much Tuna" sketch with Nick Kroll. Those never land for me.

I don't get why Cardi B hiding a pregnancy is a big deal. That's just me.

As for Too Much Tuna: I hope there's one next week, I love it so much for some reason. At the very least, the Oh, Hello guys appearing is pretty much guaranteed.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought it was just OK. Black Jeopardy was definitely best in show, and Alex Moffat (as always) and Heidi did exceptional character work on Update. I loved when Zuckerberg started laughing. I also liked the line "I may buy most of my food from a gas station, but I'm a good mother..."

Otherwise I was mostly disappointed. They were scraping the bottom of the ideas barrel with that Firefighters sketch, but the last couple of sketches improved somewhat. Game of Life was actually pretty clever.

I would have liked to have seen Wakanda Today.    

Chadwick did what he could, but it seemed like a half-assed effort otherwise.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I've certainly heard of her, but I don't really know anything about her.  But if she's trying to hide a pregnancy, she's not doing a really good job of it.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

She’s a pretty big deal.  Broke billboard records.  Very hot right now.  It’s been rumored for awhile she was pregnant by her fiancé who is a member of the Migos (who also performed on SNL recently).  This was her confirmation of the pregnancy.  Interesting enough the song she did in the white dress is also rumored to be her fiancé.  So it appears she was making a statement.

And I’m only mildly concerned that I’m over 40 and know all of this.

I give Chadwick an A for effort.  The show a C.  And his outfit during the monologue an F.   Certain skits he appeared like the pregnant man and Black Jeopardy, You could tell how good of an actor he is.  But the rest you could pretty much tell were last minute, as he was reading cue cards and not nearly as good..

• Love 5

This...was not good. Cardi B was the real star. That weird penguin outfit she had on during her first performance was great. I laughed out loud when I saw a few feathers fly.

Her baby bump was a big deal because it’s been the subject of speculation the last few weeks. She finally confirmed it. I’m happy for her, but I’m always a little uneasy about women getting pregnant right when their careers pick up. I think women have it hard enough in the entertainment business without having to worry about choosing their careers over their baby. 

Also, is it a coincidence that Drake and Cardi B released songs in the last week that sampled “Ex-Factor” by Lauryn Hill? (It’s NOT a coincidence that the song they sampled easily beats both songs, but that may be a bit unfair)

WU: as reticent as I am to wade into politics, I think it needs to be said that Trump =/= comedic gold. Trump jokes can be funny if the joke is funny, as circular as that sounds. But running down the list of shit Trump said this week and then, you know, snarkily contradicting it, is kinda washed, both in 2018 and on principle. It’s like when music critics review albums by bands they clearly don’t like. It’s like, having a POV is fine, but the best satire should be pure so you can distinguish humor from just being messy. 

I will say, Black Jeopardy was funny. Especially T’Challas worried about potato salad.

• Love 3

I thought Alex would do his Conor  McGregor again this week.

I'm starting to wonder if Kenan will finally say adios with the way he keeps mentioning he's been there 15 years

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Aidy B: I always love glimpses into backstage, including that sketch board (Wakanda Forever was the only one that made it in).

"R. Kelly" was on there too, because I remember seeing that and thinking "Why would they do a sketch about R. Kelly?" Even after seeing the sketch, I still don't know why!

I also noticed "Sesame Street" on there as a sketch, I guess that's something that got cut. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Kenan sold it so well. Damn, he's been there fifteen years?!?

Kenan is a national treasure.  Never let him leave.  They cannot have anyone else host game shows.  I miss What's Up With That and The Old Guy With Funny Sex Videos.  Black Jeopardy was hilarious.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

8 hours ago, After7Only said:

She’s a pretty big deal.  Broke billboard records.  Very hot right now.  It’s been rumored for awhile she was pregnant by her fiancé who is a member of the Migos (who also performed on SNL recently).  This was her confirmation of the pregnancy.  Interesting enough the song she did in the white dress is also rumored to be her fiancé.  So it appears she was making a statement.

And I’m only mildly concerned that I’m over 40 and know all of this.

I give Chadwick an A for effort.  The show a C.  And his outfit during the monologue an F.   Certain skits he appeared like the pregnant man and Black Jeopardy, You could tell how good of an actor he is.  But the rest you could pretty much tell were last minute, as he was reading cue cards and not nearly as good..

And, according to TMZ, where I get my important news from, she's been denying the pregnancy for a good month. She had a nightclub appearance Friday night and wore a circus tent to try to hide it. I get wanting to announce on her own terms, but the ridiculous outfits were pretty much a confirmation 

I fell asleep during WU, but the first half of the show wasn't all that great, and it seems the second half was even more lackluster. All I could think of during the monologue was why was he dressed like Willy Wonka? 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How famous is Cardi B? I'm not disrespecting . . . I'm just not into today's music scene. 

Yeah, Cardi B's singing was all over the place -- are all her songs like that ?  It was ok, I guess.  At least she didn't use auto-tune like Migos.

The Game of Life DACA edition and the expansion pack were pretty good.

The Black Jeopardy sketch was awesome with T'Challa, especially the Karen and potato salad answer.

WU was just ok.

• Love 3
(edited)

Favorite sketches were the leggings commercial(As a guy I wish it was socially acceptable for men to wear them because they look comfy AF), Black Jeopardy(T'Challa on Karen bringing bland potato salad to a cookout and Sprite wondering how they became the soda for black people had me laughing), Aidy wanting to be like Cardi B. and R. Kelly in the magic mirror at Disneyland sketch. Also as an 80s kid I enjoyed Kenan cosplaying Panthro from Thundercats in the monologue!

The pregnant guy was too painful to laugh at. Yikes.

I'd say seeing Cardi B. singing pregnant would have weirded me out if I hadn't seen Kelly Clarkson sing a medley of her hits in a tight dress when she was hella pregnant and weeks from giving birth of the final episode of American Idol(original Fox version) two years ago!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I guess I'm seeing it from the other direction from everybody else. I loved the show, with the exception of the firefighters sketch. The restaurant sketch was okay, and everything else was good to great. Black Jeopardy was the absolute standout.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, After7Only said:

I give Chadwick an A for effort.  The show a C.  And his outfit during the monologue an F.

I don't watch much SNL anymore, but I thought I'd tune in to see Chadwick.  I took one look at that outfit in the opening monologue and promptly went to sleep.  I'm not kidding.  

• Love 1
(edited)

The show's greatness turns on the writing. It's clear the cast is awesome and no one can say Chadwick B isn't fabulous, but they can only do so much if the writing is crap.

LOVED the leggings. Life: DACA edition was good. It's a very bad week when I'm even having trouble paying attention during WU.

Women can sing while pregnant. Was that ever seriously in doubt? C'mon! The species would have died out a long time ago if being pregnant turned women into fragile flowers who can't even sing. Also: Amy Poehler already took the prize for singing while about to go into labor, during the Sarah Palin era.

I thought the fire at Trump Tower would make the show, even though it happened at the last minute. But I think someone actually dying in the fire put an end to that idea, because: not funny, crosses a line. But then they did the fire fighter sketch where everybody stood around discussing sex dolls while the building burned, and I thought: well, no one's worried about being tasteful, funny OR high energy here. Even the hose was weak. I mean: why can't someone else spray it, if dude is determined to leave? Three people standing around saying: "spray it!" was inexplicable.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I'm shocked that people didn't like this episode.  I loved it.  I'm wondering if it's because I love Chadwick Boseman and Black Panther is definitely the best movie I've seen in a long time.  I guess, since I saw "Call Me By Your Name".  It is a fantastic movie, and I'm not a fan of superhero movies or Marvel movies in general.  I thought Black Panther extremely transcended that.  It is a beautiful movie, regardless of genre.  It was extraordinary.

That said, I thought everything was successful except the Trump cold open and the firefighter sketch.  Everything else was great.  Great episode.  I thought Chadwick was a wonderful host.

27 minutes ago, ahisma said:

I guess I'm seeing it from the other direction from everybody else. I loved the show, with the exception of the firefighters sketch. The restaurant sketch was okay, and everything else was good to great. Black Jeopardy was the absolute standout.

Same!

• Love 8

I love watching people weekly trying to figure out who these immensely popular. It just makes me wonder at one point I will just be out of the loop on what's going on in pop culture. At 35 at least, I'm still at the point where I don't need to look anybody up and knows what's popular at least.

The highs were too high for me to be crapping all over the episode. Black Jeopardy was a killer. So damn funny. The Update jokes were kind of weak but I loved the guests. Just super committed to the characters and cracked me up. The absurdity of the game of Life was really funny. I loved the sketch about wakanda salute. As a black person, there will always be some things I see white people do birthed from black culture that gives me pause. I can't always explain why. 

I look at SNL like I look at albums at this point. Give me a handful of things that stick with me and I'm happy. I don't expect wall to wall hits.

I'm so happy to see Cardi B making it. I watched her on the love and hip hop reality show struggling to be taken seriously but never stopping her grind to the point that she outgrew the show she hopped on to get a name. Now she's the biggest female hip hop artist in the world. Props to her.

I don't even watch the cold opens anymore so never have any thought there. But, the firefighter sketch was world class bad. How do things like that make air? I'm super tired of Aidy Bryant's blackccent performances she does. Not offended or anything. It's just super not funny.

Everything else was middling. Far from a terrible episode though.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, 27bored said:

Also, is it a coincidence that Drake and Cardi B released songs in the last week that sampled “Ex-Factor” by Lauryn Hill? (It’s NOT a coincidence that the song they sampled easily beats both songs, but that may be a bit unfair)

I noticed this too and found it very weird.

I honestly had thought Cardi B had been pregnant for awhile.  To the point where I thought it was totally confirmed in the media.  I guess she hadn't been hiding it effectively.

33 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Favorite sketches were the leggings commercial(As a guy I wish it was socially acceptable for men to wear them because they look comfy AF)

I think yoga pants are way more comfortable than leggings. Wear them in your living room, anyone who judges you is just missing how awesome these are!

Topical: I don't get the appeal of Cardi B. At all. Her voice, her song, that f'in twill sound she makes are all grating.

• Love 6

I liked “Black Jeopardy”when it mocked performatively “woke” girls in the Elizabeth Banks episode. And the Tom Hanks one was okay because it had some interesting political commentary. But in general it has some icky overtones that I don’t like, like in its “prizes.” Racist and classist. Some people put their leftovers in margarine tubs because they don’t have money for Tupperware. Comedy should punch upward.

I didn’t like much about this episode except the restaurant sketch because it made fun of corny singing groups like Manhattan Transfer.

I knew where Girlfriend/Wife of Every Boxer in a Boxer Movie was going (to her sister’s!) but I loved going there anyway. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

As for Too Much Tuna: I hope there's one next week, I love it so much for some reason. At the very least, the Oh, Hello guys appearing is pretty much guaranteed.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Stephon too, but that's less of a sure thing.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode. The firefighters sketch was its only miss for me. Aidy B was awesome! I always love black jeopardy. Weekend Update seemed short to me, but it was fine. The Life sketch was great. The birthing one made me cringe but I found humor in it.

I teach high school, so I hear about most artists from my students. I liked Cardi B enough to read her background and download some of her tunes. I've always loved female rappers and wish there were more of them. Cardi B gave me a Left Eye vibe (RIP). I'll take Cardi over Migos, who most of my students also despise, by the way. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I'm super tired of Aidy Bryant's blackccent performances she does. Not offended or anything. It's just super not funny.

I think that sketch had more to it than the usual "Aidy Bryant is rapping" /Baby Aidy schtick. She was delusional and trying to be her own version of Cardi B, even lying and saying she was from The Bronx. I thought the sketch was more about making fun of white girls who love Cardi B. This summer I was clubbing with a black friend and he rolled his eyes when Bodak Yellow came on because all the drunk white girls started screeching when it came on. 

Boxer's Girlfriend cracks me up. Heidi Gardner is so good at these oddly specific characters with a darkness to them.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Like being at grandma's and a opening metal butter cookie container and finding her sewing supplies instead.

Why you looking in Gramma's tins, anyway? ::auntie side eye::

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

I think that sketch had more to it than the usual "Aidy Bryant is rapping" /Baby Aidy schtick. She was delusional and trying to be her own version of Cardi B, even lying and saying she was from The Bronx. I thought the sketch was more about making fun of white girls who love Cardi B. This summer I was clubbing with a black friend and he rolled his eyes when Bodak Yellow came on because all the drunk white girls started screeching when it came on. 

Boxer's Girlfriend cracks me up. Heidi Gardner is so good at these oddly specific characters with a darkness to them.

I get the point of the sketch but it was also a excuse to trot out her usual shtick. At least Cardi B reacting to it was humorous.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

"R. Kelly" was on there too, because I remember seeing that and thinking "Why would they do a sketch about R. Kelly?" Even after seeing the sketch, I still don't know why!

I also noticed "Sesame Street" on there as a sketch, I guess that's something that got cut. 

I found a screencap of that board from the sketch itself, and every sketch in the show is on there. Terminator, Sesame Street, Picture, and Tiger Woods is Back were the cut sketches. I would've liked to have seen that Terminator sketch, at least.

DaRdjAEVAAEhaLO.jpg

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Like what white people know some black people prefer steaks well done as opposed to rare? 

Yeah, that was news to me. (White person here.) I also didn't know that Sprite was the black person's soda. Waaaay back when I worked at Jack-in-the-Box, the only people we sold the orange soda to was black people. I was very curious about that.

As for the rest of the show, overall I was disappointed. I liked the Cold Open. Leslie Jones was great as the host of Outnumbered -- Is that a real show? -- She had great lines and delivered them well. I hadn't seen any video of Trump with the leaders of the Baltic countries, and now I want to google to see what the real people look like. I still like Alec as Trump. I got a big giggle out of him saying that they were slapping more tariffs on Chinese products like fireworks and finger-traps.

The monologue was ok. Chadwick was good. I didn't mind his outfit.

The Nike legging commercial was funny.

Black Jeopardy was good. T'Challa was great. 

The first pregnant man sketch wasn't as funny as it might have been. Or I guess it was just a one-joke sketch. The "tuliping" gesture was funny. Aidy calling on one of the reporters with, "The woman in the wrinkled skirt," was the other joke.

The fire sketch was a bomb. I think they expected more laughs (or any laughs) whenever Chadwick said he had "squirted" the fire. Although I like him, he wasn't funny in this sketch.

I loved the Game of Life, DACA Edition. I bet the props department had a great time creating that.

Cardi B. Not a fan. I listened to a minute or so of the first song, then FF'd. I didn't listen to the second. 

• Love 3
(edited)
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

As for the rest of the show, overall I was disappointed. I liked the Cold Open. Leslie Jones was great as the host of Outnumbered -- Is that a real show?

Oh it's very real. It's a show discussing issues of the day featuring four  female panelists and one male guest which doesn't sound that sketchy except this is the usual seating arrangement:

042814_Clinton.jpg?itok=nRJ6UADg

Here's a clip:

Edited by VCRTracking

Wearing workout clothes only for lounging around on the couch? @ me next time, Show.

Black Jeopardy was fantastic. Poor T'Challa was so concerned about the potato salad! Also, an underrated line re: why your grandmother's name is on your cable bill: "Because she is the head of your family and you want to honor her."

I could take or leave the pregnant man sketch but the way Chadwick said "tuliping" with the gesture cracked my shit up. Also Aidy's unnecessary "woman in the wrinkled skirt" and Cecily's reaction.

• Love 9

Chadwick seemed to me like he was almost embarrassed to be there. Wonder why they didn't book him when Black Panther was fresh in the theaters? Was he too busy?

At least Cardi B reacting to it was humorous.

I've never seen her interviewed. Was that how she normally acts? It seemed like an imitation of YouTube personality Lisa Koshy to me.

(edited)

I watched via YouTube clips and skipped the firefighter sketch after seeing the hate for it here, so I probably have a more favorable impression than I may have had if I had watched it live.

I actually thought Cardi B’s performances were great—some of the strongest of the season.

Leggings (the sad frowny face on the fitbit when she said, “my fitbit thinks I’m dead”—lol), the Zuck, Angel, Wakanda Forever and Black Jeopardy all made me laugh.  I thought the monologue was very cute, too, despite the fact that I was initially transfixed wondering if Chadwick knew how to smile—he was completely stonefaced, even upon entering the stage, until he finally cracked a smile while Keenan was talking. (Why all the hate for Chadwick’s threads?  I thought he looked cool.)  Oh, and I liked Aidy B, too—especially Cardi B’s frozen freaked out expression and Beck’s line about how Aidy was from Arizona.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Like being at grandma's and a opening metal butter cookie container and finding her sewing supplies instead.

If I didn't experience opening a sealed container and seeing cookies in it with my own eyes I'd never believe those weren't sold without sewing supplies.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

If I didn't experience opening a sealed container and seeing cookies in it with my own eyes I'd never believe those weren't sold without sewing supplies.

I literally have a butter cookie tin full of buttons I got from my grandfather, who got it from my great grandmother's basement. I will never use one, but they are kind of fun to have. My grandfather died last year at 97, so who knows how old some of the buttons are. 

• Love 9