Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Showcase/Final Judgment

• Start Topic

Idol hopefuls head to Exchange LA for the Showcase Round, where contestants perform solos in front of a live crowd and the judges. Following the performances, the judges sit down with each contestant for the Final Judgment and reveal which finalists made it through to the Top 24.

And... what about Naomi?

Some very interesting versions of '90s songs tonight :p. 

I'm so glad Jurnee's wife could visit to see her perform. They seem really cute together :). And Jurnee looked great as well. 

• Love 4

Could Katy maybe not make it about her when she’s giving contestants news that impacts them? So irritating. “Trevor, I’m so sad because you’re not going through!!!!” She did it over and over. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think she’s the most annoying Catie/Katy on the show this season. Maybe though.

5 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Bull?. Maddie ALSO deserved to move on (with the great Effie), as did Noah. Oh,  wait; they are plus-size (so is Adam/Ada, but that talent is undeniable). J/S.

Otherwise, the Top 24 look pretty good.  

Ugh.  Effie really could be something.  Oh well, I’m sure Post Modern Jukebox will snap her right up.  That’s a sweet gig.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sure there were a couple who I liked who didn't make the cut but there is a lot of talent here.  I am going to roll with it because I am so happy to have it back!

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was brokenhearted about Thaddeus.  Those were some tough cuts at the end.  Maddie?  Jesus.  

I've been defending Katy all this time, but I think I'm done.  She was so selfish and obnoxious about Trevor getting cut, and I couldn't handle it.  They probably have never given him any fair criticism because of her crush, so he had no idea what he was supposed to do or improve.  He was basically a plaything for Katy's amusement and for ABC's ratings.  He was treated really shittily when he was cut - and I wasn't even a fan.  (How could I be?  We were always just shown Katy's reactions to him instead of what he actually sang like.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 21

To me one of the most glaring bad decisions was to keep Gaby (and Layla for that matter) over Harper Grace (who was a mile better than both) in one of the "country female" slots. That and giving Johnny Brenns a spot.

Obviously I realize not all things are not equal....but you could make the argument that Adam being allowed to compete as Ada screwed over Maddie/Effie (and all the other female contestants for that matter) vs. Marcio/Dennis. If he's competing as Adam then there are two spots for Maddie and Effie and not two spots for Dennis and Marcio.

Someone reminded me that Mara Justine competed on America's Got Talent a couple seasons ago. I watch that show sporadically, and had a vague recollection of her as a 12 or 13 year old. 

• Love 8

Someone asked in a prior episode thread, who was the twin with the irritating stage mom?  That was Milo Sposato, and he was eliminated in the Final Judgment.  The one that disappointed me was Carly Moffa; she seemed so lively in her audition, and then wasn't mentioned again until they eliminated her tonight.

6 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Obviously I realize not all things are not equal....but you could make the argument that Adam being allowed to compete as Ada screwed over Maddie/Effie (and all the other female contestants for that matter) vs. Marcio/Dennis. If he's competing as Adam then there are two spots for Maddie and Effie and not two spots for Dennis and Marcio.

Going by the list on Wiki, there actually appear to be 13 women and 11 men in the Top 24, counting Adam as a man.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've been defending Katy all this time, but I think I'm done.  She was so selfish and obnoxious about Trevor getting cut, and I couldn't handle it.  They probably have never given him any fair criticism because of her crush, so he had no idea what he was supposed to do or improve.  He was basically a plaything for Katy's amusement and for ABC's ratings.  He was treated really shittily when he was cut - and I wasn't even a fan.  (How could I be?  We were always just shown Katy's reactions to him instead of what he actually sang like.)

I actually think Trevor shouldn't have made it past the auditions and the Katy-crush helped him advance further than he should.

But, hey, I enjoyed that little "storyline." And I laughed when Katy watched him longingly as he walked away, then flipped on a dime claiming, "I'm over him!"

• Love 9

Wow, it's a real testament to this season's talent that I simultaneously was angry with who got cut and satisfied by who was left (minus a few).

I will say, though, that a lot of the performances tonight were disappointing.

Glad Trevor Holmes was cut, though. It still confuses me how his performance videos on the American Idol YouTube channel regularly got some of the most views. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, niklj said:

Glad Trevor Holmes was cut, though. It still confuses me how his performance videos on the American Idol YouTube channel regularly got some of the most views. 

Katy has them on a loop?

• Love 9

I liked that they showed a lot of the final solo songs.

I'm not 100% sure of the choices (I miss the Season 1 format where they had 32 spots we could vote for, which also made it slightly easier on the judges.)  Instead, we get 14 to choose from. 

I actually liked the double "you're going through" at the end, because it was a reward for the people who were counting.  I wasn't, and apparently the contestants couldn't. 

Overall it looks like this year's NCAA tournament did a month ago:  a lot of people could win, one of them will, and a lot of the rest have an improved shot at a career (no promises, but higher booking fees).

• Love 2
(edited)

Effie did move on; she was paired with Maddie for the judges' choice. 

...because apparently there's some ordinance in LA that only ONE heavyset girl is allowed in any show??? That 2-off really p'od me.  

Also, Thaddeus got shafted. Yeah, he's dramatic/Broadway-ey but so is You Oughta Know guy.  I think maybe because he looks old?

Of the 2 teen heartthrob guys they put together NEITHER deserved a spot. If anything, the football player was worse.

Jurnee is 18 and married ?  She's not 25-26?? MAKEOVER STAT PLEASE--she's so delicate and pretty but she's like on hip hop steroids looks-wise.

Cade Foehner for the win!!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

It hit me after Luke Bryan said he is always afraid Catie Turner is going to fall when she runs on stage that she brings major Mary Katherine Gallagher vibes.  She has good vocals, but MKG is all I can see now.

• Love 14

Katie is the critical voice on the panel but not consistent.  She did a good job with the 17 year old hair flipper Mara Justine’s feedback though I would have eliminated her. Too much icing was perfect.  She had a phenomenal  voice but off the chart irritation factor.  

I think many viewers probably missed that Effie got in because of her crying about all the ‘good girls’ who got cut and not for losing.

Catie doesnt bug me as much as I thought she would, probably because her voice is so good and she is genuine. 

@WhineandCheez,  Jurnee is young to marry but I think it must be due to military benefits  or being officially recognized in case of injury or death. 

• Love 3

They have a lot of black male singers so my hunch is Thaddeus was the least favorite of that demographic.  I didn’t count, just guessing because I see no other reason.  If this is the case I would have gone with the man who got his son when a week old.  I wish they would show their names on the screen every time the appear in the beginning.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Bull?. Maddie ALSO deserved to move on (with the great Effie), as did Noah. Oh,  wait; they are plus-size (so is Adam/Ada, but that talent is undeniable). J/S.

Otherwise, the Top 24 look pretty good.  

Noah's showcase performance was dreadful - he was completely out of tune from the moment he stood up from the piano.  I'd have been pissed if they'd put him through.

11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Effie did move on; she was paired with Maddie for the judges' choice. 

I haven't been a fan of hers before since I don't care for big, bombastic balladeering in general.  But her showcase performance was lovely and delicate and showed restraint, which made me appreciate her a lot.

• Love 8

I hope someone can answer this......the guy that Katy gave him his first kiss.....didn't he get a golden ticket?  Did they show him at all during Hollywood week? 

My thoughts about last night:

Again, I felt bad for Trevor, too much on Katy and not enough on his actual performance.  He looked genuinely shocked.  Like everyone else, Catie bugs me and although I am sure everyone else feels like they are 'taking my spot' I don't think I would have said that out loud, it made her seem entitled. Love Cade Foehner - he seems nice too.  I think Adam is a really handsome guy (and actually an attractive female).  I like Caleb and he will probably go far.....his eyes are almost a shocking shade of blue.  I hate Harper Grace didn't make it.  I loved hearing 'You Outta Know" on AI and kudos to they guy singing it.  I am still baffled by the dancer chick......but again, JLo isn't the best singer but she is a great dancer/entertainer so maybe that is what they are thinking?  So happy cutie pie Maddie Pope made it through!  Am I wrong for it to bother that Jurnee is only 18 and married?  I kept thinking if she wins she will be divorced within a year.  Nowadays, 18 just seems way to young to be married, not to mention having a spouse in the military can be challenging to begin with.     

Cade and Maddie are my favorites.             

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

If he makes it to the voting rounds (and I see no reason why he won't), he is my odds-on favorite to win.

Cade would not be a good match for Disney/Hollywood Records.   I can see them trying to push him into their boy band line-up.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Noah's showcase performance was dreadful - he was completely out of tune from the moment he stood up from the piano.  I'd have been pissed if they'd put him through.

I agree. Frankly, I thought he should have been eliminated after his ill-conceived rendition of "Piece by Piece." 

• Love 15

Did I miss it?  I don't recall seeing Alyssa Rhutanandan (sp?) last night, but on every list I've seen there she is in the top 24.  She'a one of my faves - at this point, at least - and I either missed her performance or they didn't show it.  What would be the reason for that??

1 hour ago, twilightzone said:

Cade would not be a good match for Disney/Hollywood Records.   I can see them trying to push him into their boy band line-up.

You know, I didn't think about that.  I'm not sure I even knew who the label was this time.  Okay, so I can imagine one reason for the judges to eliminate him, although it's not a performance related one.

27 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Did I miss it?  I don't recall seeing Alyssa Rhutanandan (sp?) last night, but on every list I've seen there she is in the top 24.  She'a one of my faves - at this point, at least - and I either missed her performance or they didn't show it.  What would be the reason for that??

I know they used to not show performances if the producers couldn't get the rights to air the song.

• Love 1
(edited)

Alyssa made it. They didn't show her showcase song at all, and they've shortened her last name going forward. She's one of my favorites so I was definitely watching closely to see what happened with her. She was in a rapid fire group with Trevor McBane, Maddie Poppe, and a guy named Dominique closer to the beginning of the show...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

Damn, for everyone (myself included) having NO idea who Dominique Posey is, I went and found his audition on YouTube and he has a GORGEOUS voice ... we actually saw quite a bit of him in group shots (African-American guy with little red sorta short dreads and a bushy beard) but I guess I'm not alone in not having heard him at all (I missed a few episodes). Guessing this means they're pretty much throwing him to the wolves with no backstory, no voter familiarity, and that's a shame ... he seems really likable with great chops.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Anyone wanna chime on on Ms. GoGo Boots singing "Bad Romance?" It was a bit like driving by an accident on the road and trying not to look, yet it was aiight too. 

I just can't with her. We will be FF whenever she is on our screen, which it would seem will be often.

(edited)

Might as well give everyone in the Top 24 their due.

Guys

Adam Sanders (competing as Ada Vox): Diva with a capital D

Brandon Diaz: Has to be fodder for the 24 to 14 cut, someone tell me he has to be fodder.

Cade Foehner: Dazed and Confused looking Blues Rocker. IMO he's a lock for Top 14.

Caleb Lee Hutchison: Deep voiced, teen country reject from the Voice. Strongest country artist this season?

Dennis Lorenzo: Soulful father of a newborn. Feels like he still may be in a battle with Marcio Donaldson to advance any further...

Dominique Posey: Who? He's either the ultimate stealth finalist or ultimate fodder.

Garret Jacobs: Former (Current?) high school football player from Louisiana. Teen heartthrob in the making?

Jonny Brenns: Derivative Shawn Mendes knockoff with daddy issues. Should have already been eliminated.

Marcio Donaldson: Sensitive new dad. See Dennis Lorenzo above.

Michael Woodard: Strange alien from the Bowling Alley. Epic performance from Cabaret/Horrific Alanis Morissette performance.

Ron Bultongez: Congo refugee with maybe a little more passion/heart/backstory than vocal ability.

Trevor McBane: The Goat Farmer in Black. Feels least likely of the 3 male country singers to advance to Top 14.

Girls

Alyssa Raghu: Preternaturally gifted 15 year old Indian-American pop singer who loves her dad very much.

Amelia Hammer Harris: Is she a stealth finalist or just there to make up numbers? What little we've seen has been very good...

Catie Turner: Currently starring in "The Catie Turner show" on ABC at the same time AI is happening.

Effie Passero: Tattooed and Mohawk'ed soulful singer and self-described outsider with a rock edge.

Gaby Barrett: Young member of a yet to be discovered, Carrie Underwood cult. Feels like fodder. Should be fodder.

Jurnee Siani: 18 year old, married to her Army sweetheart. Consistently strong performances each time we've heard her.

Kay Kay Alexis: Young R&B singing firecracker, wasn't introduced until Group Rounds.....I feel like she's right on the edge of the Top 14.

Layla Spring: Literally the bubbly girl next door, with the little sister from next door too. More southern drawl than country though...

Maddie Poppe: Indie-folk vibe, a "stealth" contestant who ended up getting a fair amount of screen time during Hollywood week.

Mara Justine: Former AGT competing tween. Criticized for hair flippery in the showcase round before making Top 24.

Michelle Sussett: Dance (moonwalking/roundoff) aficionado. Definitely shooting for Bruno Mars like entertainment factor. Feels like fodder.

Shannon O'Hara: Teen from a hard-luck family situation. Vocally a mix of Indie/Folk/Soul. Maybe competing with Maddie for one spot?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
(edited)

Man, I should have taken notes while watching...

I would take Thaddeus over Catie or Ada or Jonny 

Ada--I just can't with those eyelashes. I am glad he is comfortable with who he is.

Mara needs to tone it down a little, but she has a great voice for a 15-year old.

Glad they chose Effie over Maddie.

Caleb I hope will go far, I wouldn't mind hearing him on my local country station.

Layla will probably be an early out.

Glad both Marcio and Dennis made it, although if it came down to having to pick one, I would go with Dennis.

They made the right call on Laine.

Cade--it will be interesting to see how he fares. He reminds me a little of the rocker (Caleb Johnson, I think?) that they had a few years ago.

Michelle--what? Maybe they think she'll be the next JLo, but I'm not impressed so far.

Jurnee--great voice.

Jonny--Don't think he should have made it through, but it was great to see that his dad was finally there supporting him.

Noah could be good, but he needs improvement.

Not sure that Ron should have made it over some of the ones they sent home.

A few questionable calls by the judges, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by marykat71702
had a wrong name
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm also more excited about the girls than the guys. Especially once they cut Thaddeus. (Lionel's spiel about "levels of talent"....admitting that the show has to cast fodder?) Pretty much all of the girls have solid voices with good range, which is what I look for in a singing competition.

Of the guys, the only one holding my attention right now is Michael. I like the purity of his voice and I've liked his unpredictable choices so far. I also find his off-stage personality endearing.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Damn, for everyone (myself included) having NO idea who Dominique Posey is, I went and found his audition on YouTube and he has a GORGEOUS voice ... we actually saw quite a bit of him in group shots (African-American guy with little red sorta short dreads and a bushy beard) but I guess I'm not alone in not having heard him at all (I missed a few episodes). Guessing this means they're pretty much throwing him to the wolves with no backstory, no voter familiarity, and that's a shame ... he seems really likable with great chops.

Dominique is from Birmingham, AL and has a beautiful voice.  He and Lionel had an AL connection during his initial audition.  I believe he works for the District Attorney here in the 'Ham :)   

• Love 1
On 4/3/2018 at 2:21 PM, WhineandCheez said:

Anyone wanna chime on on Ms. GoGo Boots singing "Bad Romance?" It was a bit like driving by an accident on the road and trying not to look, yet it was aiight too. 

It worked for me.  I dig her as a performer, it’s just the before and after I don’t like. 

Thaddeus getting the boot really ticked me off. He was getting standing O's all the time and then he gets eliminated? What?

I think he's probably too old looking and too dramatic.  Not Disney material...

Cade Foehner? Because the world just needs another WGWG. 

I'm going with a WD*W/OG FTW!

*Doll,  as in "Guys and Dolls"!

LennieBriscoe, maybe I haven't had enough coffee--but what are you saying??

(edited)
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I kind of doubt ABC is aiming for the kiddie/Disney music market with this show.  I think they know its fans are an old bunch.  

But Disney/Hollywood Records would want a winner that would fit their label.   Their artist roster veers towards younger (i.e., several boy band types).

Edited by twilightzone