Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

While I have never loved musicals, I really wish Hollywood didn't pretty much throw up their hands after "Hello Dolly" flopped, with only the occasionally musical and animated movie every few years. It has the potential to be such a versatile medium.

9 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

While I have never loved musicals, I really wish Hollywood didn't pretty much throw up their hands after "Hello Dolly" flopped, with only the occasionally musical and animated movie every few years. It has the potential to be such a versatile medium.

In a screenwriting class I took, I asked my teacher (a veteran Hollywood screenwriter) why there weren't many musicals these days.  He said it wasn't so much a lack of talent, but the musicians union.  It's makes things more expensive to create than a non-musical.  I like classic musicals myself as long as the songs are catchy and memorable (and help move the narrative along).  Often times that's not the case with musicals lately;  filmmakers prefer to use soundtracks with various catalog songs instead.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Catherine O'Hara is just a magical performer, period.

Here's another Christmas UO and I know everyone will hate me for it.

I love The Muppet Christmas Carol with all my heart... but I don't care one iota about "When Love is Gone". I actually caught that deleted scene on TV several years ago and I thought the actress did a terrible job performing it. Bitch, you're singing a melancholy break-up song... STOP SMILING!

I agree, except with it “The Love We Found” finale doesn’t feel so random.

I had no idea it was a deleted scene because it was on the video version I had for years and I just thought it was part of the movie.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I had no idea it was a deleted scene because it was on the video version I had for years and I just thought it was part of the movie.

Oh? Well, it's a deleted scene somewhere to somebody, because apparently it's missing from certain editions. 

21 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Meryl Streep & Nicole Kidman are mediocre singers at best & hollywood needs to stop casting them in musicals. Also Melissa McCarthy over Queen Latifah for Ursula in The little Mermaid??!! Who the hell made that decision? I love Melissa but this is not the role for her. 

I wish Disney would have had the guts to cast an actual drag queen as Ursula.  I am also not happy with Daveed Diggs as Sebastian.  Was Tituss Burgess not available?

• Love 5
On 12/14/2020 at 8:09 AM, Spartan Girl said:

On 12/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh? Well, it's a deleted scene somewhere to somebody, because apparently it's missing from certain editions. 

It was removed originally because it was believed younger audiences grew too restless during the number. The song was included on VHS and the 20th anniversary DVD edition, but is missing from all others. Disney lost the master and couldn't reintegrate the footage for Blu-ray or digital. There was an extensive hunt for it over the years to no avail, but they FINALLY relocated the master this year and Brian Henson says it will now be included going forward as originally intended. 

It may not be my favorite song in the film, but it's a definite improvement over the cut theatrical edition, which has Rizzo inexplicably crying and also makes the "The Love We Found" song at the end make no sense. 

• Love 5
On 12/13/2020 at 1:02 AM, Browncoat said:

I disliked the first Home Alone so much that I didn't bother watching the sequels.

I have never cared for Home Alone, and have probably only seen it the whole way through a couple of times - then just the once for the sequel. But what made me laugh recently was someone on a podcast pointing out, don't his parents have friends or neighbours they can ask to look after Kevin? The easy and mundane solution to an entire movie is something that will always amuse me.

• Love 10

They do show his mom calling everyone in her address book for help with no luck, the phone lines were down, and Pesci’s character confirms their neighbors will be out of town as part of his burglary reconnaissance so an effort was made. Old Man Marley was the only one left and he kept to himself so she didn’t have his contact information. We saw him help Kevin as soon as he realized there was danger so the shenanigans likely would have been avoided if she’d been able to call him. 

Those two cops are my issue since they barely made an effort to look for Kevin after getting the call. “No one answered the door so we’ll just say something sarcastic and then move on.” Asshats.

• Love 15

It's been ages since I've seen Home Alone. First time I remember seeing it was in the theater-the daycare teacher I had took us kids to see it. I mainly remember crying at the ending and wanting my mom. 

And then I saw it a couple times on TV after that, but all I mainly remember are one of the burglars stepping on a nail at one point, Kevin imitating some movie on TV, and the elderly neighbor that everyone thought was creepy but turned out not to be. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1

Seeing the less than favorable reviews for Wonder Woman 1984 has given me the courage to admit the following:  I didn't care for the first Wonder Woman at all.  It took me multiple sittings to finish and I forgot about it almost instantly after it was over.  Maybe I missed something by not seeing it in the theater but by the time I got around to it I just didn't get the hype.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2020 at 4:25 AM, caracas1914 said:

Grace Kelly  is viewed by many as the epitome of latter day Hitchcock Blonde goddess,  but I actually find her the least appealing of his 50’s/ 60’s heroines.   Kim Novak, Eve Marie Saint, Janet Leigh  and even  Tippi Hendren just seem so much more interesting  and possessed of an inner life that seems entirely lacking in Kelly, for all her good bone structure.

I first caught Mogambo on TCM, and always stick around to watch the whole movie when it's on. (Old school cable! How quaint, right? 😄 ) 

Ava Gardner was just beyond stunningly beautiful, and had such natural charisma and an easy, well-judged approach to acting. She conveyed a whole being with a light touch. At a later point in the story, in comes Grace Kelly. By reputation, I understood her to be the height of well, grace, and  cool elegance. And yes, good bone structure. But her acting was so affected, seemed amateurish and very pearl-clutching… the opposite of that cool elegance. 

Was I tricked about Grace Kelly all this time? Her acting was terrible, and made her beauty less appealing. 

Edited by pancake bacon
Bad spelling!
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Seeing the less than favorable reviews for Wonder Woman 1984 has given me the courage to admit the following:  I didn't care for the first Wonder Woman at all.  It took me multiple sittings to finish and I forgot about it almost instantly after it was over.  Maybe I missed something by not seeing it in the theater but by the time I got around to it I just didn't get the hype.

I liked the first ten minutes or so, but when Chris Pine turned up I lost interest. Just give me a pseudo-documentary. A day in the life of Themyscira. I've actually felt that way about several movies. The new Planet of the Apes, Avatar, Black Panther. Just exploring this interesting world, no need to shoehorn an action movie in there. And that's coming from a fan of action movies.

• Love 2

I've never seen A Christmas Story.  It's on a gazillion times each year, so I guess I should give it a look some day, but from the little I know it has never sounded like my type of movie.

I'm either uninterested in or dislike most films on the Most Popular Christmas Movies lists.  I just checked a list like that from Rotten Tomatoes, and most I haven't seen.  Of those I have, Black Christmas and Carol are the only ones I like.  (They, like many, have It's a Wonderful Life at number one and I fucking hate that movie.)

The Thin Man is set at Christmas, and that's one of my favorite films, but I watch it on New Year's Eve (along with After the Thin Man, which is set then); I have no movie tradition on/before Christmas.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

When we were dating, husband encouraged me to watch A Christmas Story as a rite of passage. It was enjoyable, but I don’t understand why it would be on a marathon run each year.   I actually don’t think we have ever suggested our boys watch it, and we now live near the famous house.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Crs97 said:

When we were dating, husband encouraged me to watch A Christmas Story as a rite of passage. It was enjoyable, but I don’t understand why it would be on a marathon run each year.   I actually don’t think we have ever suggested our boys watch it, and we now live near the famous house.

I'm with you--what's so great about it that it needs to run for 24 hours straight?  Is someone fulfilling that meme about 'can you watch one movie for 24 hours straight if we paid you a million dollars'?? 

• Love 6

I love It's A Wonderful Life.  It's Capra at his darkest and his most optimistic, and the scene where Uncle Billy tells George that Mary managed to rally everyone to help gets me every single time.

People forget, it only became ubiquitous after it fell into the public domain, and anyone could broadcast it.  It was largely forgotten until that happened, and the more easily accessible was the gender-flipped TV movie It Happened One Christmas where it's Mary (played by Marlo Thomas) who's trapped and despairing.  Orson Welles, deep in the throes of his "I need money" late career, plays Mr. Potter.

The same thing happened with A Christmas Story, which was basically ignored until Ted Turner bought the MGM archive, and decided to create the narrative that it was a beloved classic.  That's even more cynical that a movie running on two channels simultaneously because there's no license fee to be paid.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 12/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, wallflower75 said:

I'm with you--what's so great about it that it needs to run for 24 hours straight?  Is someone fulfilling that meme about 'can you watch one movie for 24 hours straight if we paid you a million dollars'?? 

I actually love The Christmas Story, but 24 hours straight sucked all the love straight out of me.  I wouldn’t watch any movie for 24 hours straight. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I actually love The Christmas Story, but 24 hours straight sucked all the love straight out of me.  I wouldn’t watch any movie for 24 hours straight. 

It's the theory behind Top 40 radio programming. If you listen to a Top 40 radio station all day, you'll learn they play about 10-15 songs over and over and over (and over), because the theory is that people only listen to the radio in their cars, so for only around a half-hour at most. TBS plays The Christmas Story for 24 hours, not because they figure people will watch the movie again and again, it's because they figure people are busy with other stuff and don't have to plan around when the movie is on. They can watch it anytime.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It's the theory behind Top 40 radio programming. If you listen to a Top 40 radio station all day, you'll learn they play about 10-15 songs over and over and over (and over), because the theory is that people only listen to the radio in their cars, so for only around a half-hour at most. TBS plays The Christmas Story for 24 hours, not because they figure people will watch the movie again and again, it's because they figure people are busy with other stuff and don't have to plan around when the movie is on. They can watch it anytime.

They could do the same if they'd DVRed (or any other flick)  so I'm not sure how this could be a guarantee of ratings success!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

And I know those people! The problem isn’t necessarily the 24 hours on a loop, the problem is it’s done every single damned year. Over saturation is inevitable. 

• Love 6

I saw A Christmas Story as a kid in the theater with a group from the neighborhood and it was fun. I enjoyed it. I've seen it a couple of times since. Enjoyed it. But I haven't watched it in years. I think about the time someone decided it was a Christmas Requirement and you couldn't escape it. It's actually quite similar to It's a Wonderful Life. I didn't see that movie for most of my life and I was never particularly interested in it, either. The fact that it was on constantly between Thanksgiving and Christmas cemented my ambivalence towards it. We counted one year and it was on 26 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas. So... just about every day. It wasn't until I was in my 30s when I wasn't getting sledgehammered with it every holiday season that I decided to sit down and watch it.

I did like it. It's a good movie. But even that one isn't one I feel like revisiting all that often.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I also hate It's a Wonderful Life.

And I know it's not a movie, but: It may be fine when you're a kid, but when you get older, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a terrible fucking story when it dawns on you what the story is actually saying.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 5

I hate It's a Wonderful Life with a fiery passion.  I hate that everyone in town takes and takes and takes from George.  Sure he has a great wife in Mary and some cute kids, but it's not the life he wanted.  I hate that George is going to take the fall for Uncle Billy's mistake even if George should have known better than to trust Uncle Billy with the deposit.  Of course, the town rallies together to come up with the money to cover the deposit, they need George to not be in prison to fix whatever else will eventually happen.  

And the alternate Mary storyline is so deeply wrong.  I know that this particular storyline was rewritten after test audiences reacted poorly to Mary being wed to another man, but the end result is so insulting.  Without George, Mary is a completely different person who somehow also has worse eyesight??? Without George her horrible fate is being a spinster librarian who is afraid of men???

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And the alternate Mary storyline is so deeply wrong.  I know that this particular storyline was rewritten after test audiences reacted poorly to Mary being wed to another man, but the end result is so insulting.  Without George, Mary is a completely different person who somehow also has worse eyesight??? Without George her horrible fate is being a spinster librarian who is afraid of men???

Right?! "Oh, noes, Mary is not only-gasp!-unmarried, but she-double gasp!-has a job, and-triple gasp!- glasses! What fresh hell has George's wish to never to be born wrought?!?? Sure, his brother's dead and Gower served time in the clink for manslaughter and is now the town pariah, but Mary's a bespectacled old maid! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Honest to God, if the alternate Mary had been married to an abusive asshole and was a broken shell of a woman as a result, I think that would have been a million times more impactful. I mean, what evidence do we have that Old Maid Librarian Mary's life was so crummy?

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hate It's a Wonderful Life with a fiery passion.  I hate that everyone in town takes and takes and takes from George.  Sure he has a great wife in Mary and some cute kids, but it's not the life he wanted.  I hate that George is going to take the fall for Uncle Billy's mistake even if George should have known better than to trust Uncle Billy with the deposit.  Of course, the town rallies together to come up with the money to cover the deposit, they need George to not be in prison to fix whatever else will eventually happen.  

They really were a bunch of grasping parasites, and if they'd shown a little more gratitude and self-reliance, maybe George wouldn't have felt like his life was such a waste. It also pisses me off they didn't donate extra money so that George could finally afford to travel like he'd always wanted.

Uncle Billy sucked, plain and simple.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10

Brought to mind because of the The Godfather epic topic:

The first Godfather is good but not one I would re-watch

The second one is dull as dirt

The third is laughably bad (but this may not be unpopular)

• Love 1

I love Rock Hudson.

I love Elizabeth Taylor.

The few clips I had seen of Giant looked very interesting.

I watched it over the weekend and MY GOD. It was the most boring, dragged out, tedious piece of cinema that I have ever watched from the Golden Age.

And I fail to see what was so great about James Dean. The most woodiest wood that ever wooded, thrown in with glops of Marblemushmouth.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love Rock Hudson.

I love Elizabeth Taylor.

The few clips I had seen of Giant looked very interesting.

I watched it over the weekend and MY GOD. It was the most boring, dragged out, tedious piece of cinema that I have ever watched from the Golden Age.

And I fail to see what was so great about James Dean. The most woodiest wood that ever wooded, thrown in with glops of Marblemushmouth.

Eh, I think Giant is all right.

Other than that, I completely agree with everything you say! While it's a shame James Dean died so young, I'm convinced that, had he lived, he would have been a has-been by 1960, and basically a punchline slumming it in crappy movies alongside Mickey Rooney by 1969. 

Rock Hudson deserves more love, and he was a better actor than people gave him credit for (please see Seconds if you don't believe me).

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Rock Hudson deserves more love, and he was a better actor than people gave him credit for (please see Seconds if you don't believe me).

He TOTALLY does!! I’ve only seen a handful of his movies. He was funny, underrated, sexy.  I love his cameo as himself on I Love Lucy, though as a kid, I always thought he appeared twice—but the other cameo was by Cornel Wilde!!😂😂😂

I also loved him in MacMillan & Wife. And watched his last performances in Dynasty before AIDS took him.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Rebel Without A Cause, particularly the "YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!!!" line, is terribly melodramatic.  I rolled my eyes so hard I think I sprained something when I first saw it. It's like a parody of itself but it's played straight. I've said this about the Breakfast Club and The Graduate as well, but it's ironic that all of them are so cherished because if you made them today, imagine all the hand wringing at the whining of today's youth.

Edited by kiddo82

With all the discourse of WW1984, I found myself comparing it to Superman II and Spider-Man 2, and not in a good way, which brings me to my UO: I don’t like either of those movies, and it shocks me that people think they’re the greatest superhero sequels of all time. Don’t get me wrong: I love Christopher Reeve and the “KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!” bit, but I’m sorry it was not as good as the first movie (though not as horrendous as the sequels that followed).

And Spider-Man 2? I genuinely don’t understand why people thought it was so great. It got pretty old watching Tobey be everyone’s butt-monkey for two hours straight.

All three of these sequels follow the trope that is actually in most of the first superhero sequels: the hero pining after the love interest and/or being tempted to give up their powers and responsibilities for love. I guess I really do hate that trope. But it feels kind of telling that more people bitch about this with WW1984, and not just because Steve Trevor had been dead for some years

and the problematic way they brought him back

. The consensus is “You’re a gorgeous immortal Glamazon why are you hung up on a guy you knew for a month 70 years ago?” Not wrong, but I would have liked to see similar criticisms for all the male superheroes: “If she doesn’t like you as Clark Kent, she doesn’t deserve you as Superman” or better yet “Stop Nice Guy projecting on this neighbor girl who barely knew you were alive in high school and treats you like like something she scraped off her shoe!”

Just saying...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

I hated how Superman II was essentially perp porn for Zod and Ursa until Supe turned the tables. Of course, I thought it odd,too, that Lex Luthor was the ONLY Earthling   who attempted ally himself with them. Alas, with human nature and a number of folks who get ethralled by others' bullying and power, I found that hard to believe that no one else would have tried to sign up with them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

you couldn't pay me to watch Jingle All the Way.

Jingle All the Way is so awful.  

For a REALLY unpopular opinion I enjoyed Tobey Maguire's Spider-man 3 😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

With all the discourse of WW1984, I found myself comparing it to Superman II and Spider-Man 2, and not in a good way, which brings me to my UO: I don’t like either of those movies, and it shocks me that people think they’re the greatest superhero sequels of all time. Don’t get me wrong: I love Christopher Reeve and the “KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!” bit, but I’m sorry it was not as good as the first movie (though not as horrendous as the sequels that followed).

And Spider-Man 2? I genuinely don’t understand why people thought it was so great. It got pretty old watching Tobey be everyone’s butt-monkey for two hours straight.

All three of these sequels follow the trope that is actually in most of the first superhero sequels: the hero pining after the love interest and/or being tempted to give up their powers and responsibilities for love. I guess I really do hate that trope. But it feels kind of telling that more people bitch about this with WW1984, and not just because Steve Trevor had been dead for some years

Reveal spoiler

and the problematic way they brought him back

. The consensus is “You’re a gorgeous immortal Glamazon why are you hung up on a guy you knew for a month 70 years ago?” Not wrong, but I would have liked to see similar criticisms for all the male superheroes: “If she doesn’t like you as Clark Kent, she doesn’t deserve you as Superman” or better yet “Stop Nice Guy projecting on this neighbor girl who barely knew you were alive in high school and treats you like like something she scraped off her shoe!”

Just saying...

I still feel that the best superhero movie sequel (not counting the MCU, because the movies are all so interlinked) is X2. It's a fantastic movie that builds on everything the first one did, in all the right ways. Even though it's 90% Wolverine, which would normally annoy me, it uses all the characters in smart ways that give them moments to shine.

As for Wonder Woman, it's another case of being hostage to comic book canon. In all the years she's been in print, Diana has really only had one love interest - Steve Trevor. Yes, there's been some subtext stuff with Batman and the weird, New 52 thing with Superman, but otherwise it's always been Steve.

I don't know why, I've not read much Wonder Woman and generally don't see what's great about any of the male love interests that super-heroines are given (seriously, just look at Terry Long, Donna Troy's creepy, writer-self-insert husband), but it's something that's sadly consistent in comics. Even the most powerful, amazing woman must be attached to some boring guy.

Funnily enough, one DC artist, Mike Sekowsky, felt the same way, when he killed Steve off in the late 60s - "Steve Trevor was dull and boring and I didn't like him much, so I disposed of him." Of course, as with almost all comic book characters, Steve came back to life.

• Love 2

I have no idea what made me think of this today, but:  As much as I enjoy Tom Cruise movies (although, it is getting harder to separate the actor from the person), I thought Risky Business sucked.  I was excited to see it because the video was fun and the reviews were good (from what I can remember--everyone was talking about it), but when it was over, I remember thinking "Really? That's it? You've got to be kidding me."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Mercy alive but it grates on me how Meryl Streep seemingly  is offered every role between the ages of 35-75.   It's not even a rant on her abilities, but the fact that no actress has a range that wide.   For example , She is an OK singer, but she even gets first dibs on singing roles. 

• Love 8
On 12/30/2020 at 7:11 PM, Danny Franks said:

As for Wonder Woman, it's another case of being hostage to comic book canon. In all the years she's been in print, Diana has really only had one love interest - Steve Trevor. Yes, there's been some subtext stuff with Batman and the weird, New 52 thing with Superman, but otherwise it's always been Steve.

I don't know why, I've not read much Wonder Woman and generally don't see what's great about any of the male love interests that super-heroines are given (seriously, just look at Terry Long, Donna Troy's creepy, writer-self-insert husband), but it's something that's sadly consistent in comics. Even the most powerful, amazing woman must be attached to some boring guy.

So agree with that.   Having said that, I did like the treatment of Steve Trevor in the first WW movie, in that it was his compassionate humanity and self sacrifice, his goodness, that attracted Dianna to him.  (Well yeah, OK  it didn't hurt he looked like Chris Pine).   My bigger issue with this WW1984 movie was that it had been 75+ years since his death and Dianna had not moved on.    When you add the Justice League movie it appears that 100 + years she is still pining for the man.    It's a narrative dead end.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Seconded and may I add NOTHING will ever make me feel sorry for the Wet Bandits, no matter how sadistic Kevin's traps were. They were criminals stealing from other people DURING CHRISTMAS who had zero qualms about terrorizing or hurting children. They deserved everything they got.

https://youtu.be/rf1LSNNgSWA

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

So agree with that.   Having said that, I did like the treatment of Steve Trevor in the first WW movie, in that it was his compassionate humanity and self sacrifice, his goodness, that attracted Dianna to him.  (Well yeah, OK  it didn't hurt he looked like Chris Pine).   My bigger issue with this WW1984 movie was that it had been 75+ years since his death and Dianna had not moved on.    When you add the Justice League movie it appears that 100 + years she is still pining for the man.    It's a narrative dead end.

I'm thinking by the time she met Steve she was already centuries old, so 66 years is basically like a year to her.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm thinking by the time she met Steve she was already centuries old, so 66 years is basically like a year or less to her.

So that means  Diana and Steve went around for basically 5-10  minutes?   

(edited)
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Pixar fans, please forgive me, but I don't like Ratatouille and think it's overrated. 

Me, too and I hope it's not too soon for this, but I thought Soul was just ok.  I did laugh out loud a few times, but there were many times where my mind kept drifting.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Pixar fans, please forgive me, but I don't like Ratatouille and think it's overrated. 

Agree.  It's lower tier for me.  My biggest Pixar UO is that Inside Out is overrated.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've only seen it once and actually really disliked it. I was amazed to see that it's dearly regarded by so many people. It just... it doesn't feel like a movie that had the same love and care put into it that Toy Story or Wall-E did.

• Love 6