Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, starri said:

Rogue One>Almost all of the Skywalker Saga

The Mandolorian has told me that the more simple a Star Wars plot is better it probably will be. The plot of A New Hope can be described in like 1 sentence. The plot of Rogue 1 is like 2 sentences out of ANH's opening crawl. But try to describe the plot of Rise of Skywalker or Phantom Menace in less than a paragraph.

• LOL 1
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, starri said:

Rogue One>Almost all of the Skywalker Saga

I liked Rogue One better than any of the prequels or the more recent sequels, but the original trilogy is still by far the best of them all.

• Love 6
On 12/3/2020 at 6:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I hate A Christmas Story

Same here- especially that scene in which he framed some innocent kid to take the wrap for his profanity source  and even all those decades after the fact in relating the incident STILL self-justified having done so rather than having had any regrets)   rather than just piping up that it he'd heard it from his dad. I mean, he ALREADY was in trouble for it and was due to have his mouth washed out with soap so why not call out the old man's profanity and hypocrisy (and I'll bet it would have been no surprise to his mother). 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I have never seen Love Actually and honestly have no desire to do so.

I dislike most movies focused on romantic love and most holiday films, so odds are it will not be my cup of tea, but the cast makes me think I should give it a try.  I haven't gotten around to it in nearly 20 years, though - maybe some day.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I dislike most movies focused on romantic love and most holiday films, so odds are it will not be my cup of tea, but the cast makes me think I should give it a try.  I haven't gotten around to it in nearly 20 years, though - maybe some day.

You should check out the podcast PS, I Hate This Movie. It's two stand up comedians who are a couple and just rip romcoms to pieces, pointing out all the most ridiculous tropes and the paper thin characterisation and writing.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

You should check out the podcast PS, I Hate This Movie. It's two stand up comedians who are a couple and just rip romcoms to pieces, pointing out all the most ridiculous tropes and the paper thin characterisation and writing.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'm always looking for new podcasts about movies, the snarkier the better!

On 12/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, Bastet said:

I can't do much about the holiday part of this--although it's mostly a backdrop.  But the type of love in Love Actually is actually quite varied.  There's romantic love, sure,  But there's also sibling love.  Parental love. Inappropriate love. Professional love.  Lovemaking without love. It's an uplifting movie but not all the stories are happy.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But the type of love in Love Actually is actually quite varied.  There's romantic love, sure,  But there's also sibling love.  Parental love. Inappropriate love. Professional love.  Lovemaking without love. It's an uplifting movie but not all the stories are happy.

I think that's why I like it so much.  It is problematic, to be sure, but it's also fairly real in a lot of ways.  Particularly that they don't all have a happily-ever-after.  Plus, I laugh like a loon when

Hugh Grant goes dancing through the Prime Minister's house

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think that's why I like it so much.  It is problematic, to be sure, but it's also fairly real in a lot of ways.  Particularly that they don't all have a happily-ever-after.  Plus, I laugh like a loon when

Hide contents

Hugh Grant goes dancing through the Prime Minister's house

That's one of my favorite scenes.  It's also got some great lines:

Spoiler

"There was more than one lobster at the birth of Christ?"
"Duh"

The parental love is really sweet.  There's also the love of a dear friend.

• LOL 2
On 12/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, MsNewsradio said:

I adore Rogue One and think it's right up there with the original trilogy. 

Rogue one is a great Star Wars movie, the only problem I had with it is how it ruined Yoda for me. Because in this movie you have Jimmy Smits who hasn't stopped  fighting space fascism for like 20 years, even putting his teenaged daughter in harm's way. Meanwhile Yoda is by himself hiding out on a swamp planet when he could have been a huge help.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Rogue one is a great Star Wars movie, the only problem I had with it is how it ruined Yoda for me. Because in this movie you have Jimmy Smits who hasn't stopped  fighting space fascism for like 20 years, even putting his teenaged daughter in harm's way. Meanwhile Yoda is by himself hiding out on a swamp planet when he could have been a huge help.

The Empire was hunting down all surviving Jedi and the Rebellion was created in secret. Yoda would've been a liability. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The Empire was hunting down all surviving Jedi and the Rebellion was created in secret. Yoda would've been a liability. 

Except he could still help without the resistance without moving into the main rebel base and putting a sign on the roof of his house that said Yoda's place. Plus the empire obviously wasn't great at finding Jedi considering how little effort Obi-wan was putting into hiding.

On the flip side Yoda could have been a massive help to the rebellion.

31 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Except he could still help without the resistance without moving into the main rebel base and putting a sign on the roof of his house that said Yoda's place. Plus the empire obviously wasn't great at finding Jedi considering how little effort Obi-wan was putting into hiding.

On the flip side Yoda could have been a massive help to the rebellion.

I see the events of Return of the Sith breaking Yoda.  He fled to his swamp to hide because he was broken. For as bad as that movie was, I think George Lucas did lay the groundwork for Yoda to hide.  It's been forever since I saw that movie, but wasn't Yoda the one who found all the kids Anakin killed?

• Love 2

I felt completely bummed out and wanting to crawl into a mudhole after seeing ROTS but then again, I hated how that whole 'prequel' trilogy turned the cool, intriguing albeit cranky character of Yoda into a dogmatic and  oblivious wet-blanket! 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I felt completely bummed out and wanting to crawl into a mudhole after seeing ROTS but then again, I hated how that whole 'prequel' trilogy turned the cool, intriguing albeit cranky character of Yoda into a dogmatic and  oblivious wet-blanket! 

That's because you saw the end of his arc first. 

7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'll fight you. There is no good version of Cinderella. It's just another stupid story pitting women against each other for the attention of a blank slate male. 

I agree with you except for Ever After.  That movie does a great job of fleshing out the characters and show why they act that way.  Anjelica Houston's "evil" stepmother really isn't evil, she's just practical and blunt.  She understands the precarity a woman faces in their patriarchal society and pushes her "prettier" daughter to marry well in order for all of them to survive.  The movie is set in a time period with rigid social classes and limited ways for a woman to earn money.  The easiest way is through marriage, and step-mom puts all of her eggs into one basket with her daughter.  She and her one daughter are not evil for evil's sake.  They are not lounging around expecting Cinderella to wait on them hand and foot while the family is sinking further and further into debt.  And then the Prince has more personality in this adaptation.  

• Love 7
On 12/8/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I see the events of Return of the Sith breaking Yoda.  He fled to his swamp to hide because he was broken. For as bad as that movie was, I think George Lucas did lay the groundwork for Yoda to hide.  It's been forever since I saw that movie, but wasn't Yoda the one who found all the kids Anakin killed?

The prequels basically showed that the Jedi Order were too rigid, dogmatic and principled to actually be any use to anyone. I've no idea if Lucas intended this to be the case, because most of the writing and directing was clearly done with as little effort as possible on his part.

I don't care about the reasoning, but the idea of Yoda and Obi-Wan just disappearing and licking their wounds for two decades while the Galactic Empire runs roughshod over the galaxy is pathetic. They hide while actual idealists do all the fighting, while teenage princesses and farmboys risk themselves to fight for good, while that plucky team from Rogue One sacrifice their lives to stop the Empire's most deadly weapon.

And people wanted the sequels to feature a new Jedi Order? Why would anyone want them back? But I know I'm in the minority because I find Jedi just about the least interesting thing about Star Wars.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't care about the reasoning, but the idea of Yoda and Obi-Wan just disappearing and licking their wounds for two decades while the Galactic Empire runs roughshod over the galaxy is pathetic. They hide while actual idealists do all the fighting, while teenage princesses and farmboys risk themselves to fight for good, while that plucky team from Rogue One sacrifice their lives to stop the Empire's most deadly weapon.

Yea I see Yoda hiding as less about keeping people safe and more about wallowing in his own self pity. Because really maybe if he had spent less time worrying about Anakin and not trusting him, he might have had more time to realize that the other guy who he works with every day is the most evil guy in the galaxy. Because if your Jedi senses can tell you that an 8 year old who was taken from his mom to a strange planet with weird aliens is scared but they can't tell you that the guy standing next to you wants to kill you and wipe out everything you stand for they kind of suck.

• Love 6
On 12/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree with you except for Ever After.  That movie does a great job of fleshing out the characters and show why they act that way.  Anjelica Houston's "evil" stepmother really isn't evil, she's just practical and blunt.  She understands the precarity a woman faces in their patriarchal society and pushes her "prettier" daughter to marry well in order for all of them to survive.  The movie is set in a time period with rigid social classes and limited ways for a woman to earn money.  The easiest way is through marriage, and step-mom puts all of her eggs into one basket with her daughter.  She and her one daughter are not evil for evil's sake.  They are not lounging around expecting Cinderella to wait on them hand and foot while the family is sinking further and further into debt.  And then the Prince has more personality in this adaptation.  

I have an UO concerning Ever After: Henry was a douche and Danielle deserved better. I mean, he did come through at the end but still I think Danielle could have made him work a little harder for forgiveness after the way he scorned her at the ball.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yea I see Yoda hiding as less about keeping people safe and more about wallowing in his own self pity. Because really maybe if he had spent less time worrying about Anakin and not trusting him, he might have had more time to realize that the other guy who he works with every day is the most evil guy in the galaxy. Because if your Jedi senses can tell you that an 8 year old who was taken from his mom to a strange planet with weird aliens is scared but they can't tell you that the guy standing next to you wants to kill you and wipe out everything you stand for they kind of suck.

I do think it was that. Wallowing in self-pity. Yoda was the top Jedi, he was suppose to be the best, most wise, most respected and could see anything. He didn't see that Palpatine was a Sith lord not only did he not see it he didn't even notice it. But its more then that. The Jedi had become too rigid, too dogmatic, and too complacent. All which you could lay at Yoda's feet. He was the oldest and had been on the Council the longest. The Jedi became that way because of him. They were all following him. Obi Wan mentions in the Phantom Menace that Qui Gon could have been on the Council if he would just go along with them. So the Council only picks those they know will go along with them and any Jedi who wants to be on it knows that's what they need to do to get on it. Obi Wan doesn't see a problem with it. But it is a problem. It keeps any problems the Council and Order has from ever getting fixed and also both from growing. Qui Gon preferred following the will of the Force not the rules of the Jedi. They handled Anakin all wrong. Although I think Obi Wan did his best training Anakin turning him over to a new Jedi Knight who just lost his master was probably not a good idea. Yoda could have taken Anakin in the early years to train as he did with each Jedi or assist Obi Wan in training Anakin. He had spent nine years a slave and along with having normal reactions and attachments. Yoda and/or other Jedi could have helped Anakin deal with those issues while training him to be a Jedi. But didn't because well that wasn't the Jedi rules. They didn't take Obi Wan's advice about Anakin being Padme's bodyguard seriously despite the fact he knew Anakin and Yoda didn't. Obi Wan was right. Maybe Anakin's first mission shouldn't be protecting the woman he's got a serious crush on. Maybe start somewhere else. Also Obi Wan at the time of Attack of the Clones took the Council's orders literally. While Anakin though their job in protecting Padme should be finding out who's trying to kill her Obi Wan disagreed and thought they should....just be her bodguards? Wouldn't finding out who's trying to kill her help solve the problem? But Obi Wan wasn't going to exceed their mandate. Padme thinks Dooku is behind the attack on her which Mace completely disregards and Yoda doesn't seem to agree either. Why? Well, because he use to be a Jedi and its not in his character. That's it. Padme turns out to be right. Yoda doesn't notice Dooku has joined the Dark Side, Palpatine's a Sith lord or that Anakin clearly has issues in Revenge of the Sith. Anakin even comes to him for help but Yoda doesn't really have any advice to give him except the usual Jedi spill about no attachments. That's not really helpful and its clear Anakin has issues. He misses another chance to help Anakin but doesn't because he doesn't have anything. Yoda messed up a lot and it blows up in his face in the most brutal way. The Jedi are slaughtered and he couldn't defeat Palpatine. His mistakes ended up having big consequences for the Jedi and galaxy. That would destroy anyone and its not surprising that he ends up in exile licking his wounds. He has zero confidence in himself, loads of self-pity, and while Yoda clearly doesn't want  to train Luke. It could be because he's scared to and mess up he still has the constant reminder every day of all his mistakes. I get while Yoda would end up in exile for a long time given what his mistakes ended up leading too. But he doesn't pick himself up. Yoda's good at training Luke with the Force but not really beyond that. He wants Luke to stay while his friends are in trouble. Yoda ends up being half-right about that. Leia, Chewie and the Droids manage to get away without his help. But Luke's confronting Vader ends up being what starts Vader/Anakin's slide back to the good side. Anakin ends up breaking due to his love for Luke, something neither Yoda or Obi Wan thought was possible. Yoda doesn't really learn anything more about the positive things of love and friendship. He does eventually learn from his mistakes in the afterlife (or whatever the Jedi have) when he talks to Luke in the Last Jedi. Yoda basically gave up to wallow in self pity when he could have done so much more. Which Luke ends up doing after what happened with Kylo.  He could have picked himself up and helped Leia fight against the First Order and Snoke. Luke didn't learn from Yoda's mistake.   

• Love 4

I hate how Lucas in the 'prequels' then Abrams in his 'add-ons' managed to trash virtually every single positive attribute of the Jedi that the audience had grown to love and admire in the OT! 

• Love 5

I will hate the 2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas with a fiery passion until the day I die. Sorry not sorry.*

And don't blame it on me just being a cranky old fart (though that does play a major factor). I was in high school when it was released; I hated it then, and I hate it now. 

*Yeah, I know that expression is so five years ago, but it felt appropriate, and this has been a garbage year, so let me have my fun.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

I hate how Lucas in the 'prequels' then Abrams in his 'add-ons' managed to trash virtually every single positive attribute of the Jedi that the audience had grown to love and admire in the OT! 

One thing I do like about the new movies is how in The Last Jedi, Luke seemed to realize that the Jedi order is stupid and Jedi-ism was bullshit. It would have kind of redeemed a little how the Jedi acted in the prequels. Because like @andromeda331 said the Republic fell on Yoda's watch and a big part of it was the shitty way he handled things. If in Episode 1 he said "I sense fear in you, let's go rescue your mom and get you some therapy before you start your training" probably no Darth vader. But instead he acts like a jerk, loses one fight to Palpatine and leaves his mess for other people to clean up.

Plus Luke realizing that Jedi-ism was stupid and the force is not just Jedi and Sith was a nice call back to Rogue 1 and that force ninja guy who was neither Jedi or Sith. But in Rise of Skywalker they kind of dropped that story thread.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I will hate the 2000 How the Grinch Stole Christmas with a fiery passion until the day I die. Sorry not sorry.*

And don't blame it on me just being a cranky old fart (though that does play a major factor). I was in high school when it was released; I hated it then, and I hate it now. 

*Yeah, I know that expression is so five years ago, but it felt appropriate, and this has been a garbage year, so let me have my fun.

Trust me when I say the live musical on NBC was worse. Way, way, worse.

• LOL 3

This gives me no pleasure.  (Maybe a little.  I know I can be a contrarian at times)  Home Alone is not a good movie.  I get it.  I was 8 when it came out.  I saw in the theater and loved it.  I had the VHS and watched it ad nauseam.  I can still spew quotes from it as if I wrote the lines myself. And of course, I tried to booby trap the house like every kid my age when this movie came out.  But I watched it as an adult for the first time in forever and it just doesn't hold up.  And there's nothing wrong with liking it or watching it every year or sharing it with your family--there are plenty of movies I love that I'd be the first to admit don't hold up to scrutiny--but that also doesn't mean it should be thought of as sacrosanct either.

Having said that, Free Form is running a pop up video style version of the movie that is highly recommended if only for the list of probable injuries that Harry and Marv would have suffered in real life.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

This gives me no pleasure.  (Maybe a little.  I know I can be a contrarian at times)  Home Alone is not a good movie.  I get it.  I was 8 when it came out.  I saw in the theater and loved it.  I had the VHS and watched it ad nauseam.  I can still spew quotes from it as if I wrote the lines myself. And of course, I tried to booby trap the house like every kid my age when this movie came out.  But I watched it as an adult for the first time in forever and it just doesn't hold up.  And there's nothing wrong with liking it or watching it every year or sharing it with your family--there are plenty of movies I love that I'd be the first to admit don't hold up to scrutiny--but that also doesn't mean it should be thought of as sacrosanct either.

Having said that, Free Form is running a pop up video style version of the movie that is highly recommended if only for the list of probable injuries that Harry and Marv would have suffered in real life.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 6
18 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Home Alone is not a good movie. 

I agree.  I remember watching it when it came out as a rental (on laserdisc, heh) and it was fine, but I can't fathom re-watching it.  In an even more unpopular opinion: I feel the same way about Die Hard.  The only offering in that franchise I have ever re-watched is the third, and that's solely because of Samuel L. Jackson.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Hey, you really want a UO? I prefer Home Alone 2 to the first one. Yeah, I'm a freak, but y'all knew that already. 🙂

Me too. I saw HA2 first then HA but the first movie bored me. HA2 has a NYC as a setting and practically a character. I much preferred it over the McCallister house. HA2 also has more and way better supporting or tertiary characters. I don't have a Christmas movie tradition but Home Alone 2 is definitely one that if I see it on, I watch it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

In an even more unpopular opinion: I feel the same way about Die Hard.  The only offering in that franchise I have ever re-watched is the third, and that's solely because of Samuel L. Jackson.

I've always thought the third one was the best.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I disliked the first Home Alone so much that I didn't bother watching the sequels.

Same here! One single time of Numero Uno was already one too many for me! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2

Meryl Streep & Nicole Kidman are mediocre singers at best & hollywood needs to stop casting them in musicals. Also Melissa McCarthy over Queen Latifah for Ursula in The little Mermaid??!! Who the hell made that decision? I love Melissa but this is not the role for her. 

• Love 10
On 12/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, kiddo82 said:

This gives me no pleasure.  (Maybe a little.  I know I can be a contrarian at times)  Home Alone is not a good movie.

Kevin is a monster.

The only good thing--and I mean, the ONLY good thing--is Catherine O'Hara bringing in way more dignity than it deserved.

• Love 6

Speaking of Meryl Streep and musicals:  Mama Mia could have been a lot of fun, but either every one of the older actresses and a couple of the older actors were completely miscast (as wonderful as they all are) or the show needed a different director.  I think maybe it was a little bit of both.   Although, I'll give them all the final song that extended into the credits-that was fun.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, starri said:

Kevin is a monster.

The only good thing--and I mean, the ONLY good thing--is Catherine O'Hara bringing in way more dignity than it deserved.

I was amazed at how much of Catherine O'Hara's performance from that movie had imprinted on me.  You know when you say a line over and over again, and yes, you know intellectually it's from a movie, but you do it so much and so naturally it just becomes a part of you?  And when you hear it in its natural context you're like "Oh yeah!"?  That was me the other night when I heard "I'm tired and I'm dirty."  Also when she's exasperated on the phone going "Yeah hi look."  She is the only part of that movie that's still worth watching for me.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

One thing I do like about the new movies is how in The Last Jedi, Luke seemed to realize that the Jedi order is stupid and Jedi-ism was bullshit. It would have kind of redeemed a little how the Jedi acted in the prequels. Because like @andromeda331 said the Republic fell on Yoda's watch and a big part of it was the shitty way he handled things. If in Episode 1 he said "I sense fear in you, let's go rescue your mom and get you some therapy before you start your training" probably no Darth vader. But instead he acts like a jerk, loses one fight to Palpatine and leaves his mess for other people to clean up.

This reminds me of YT reviewer Confused Matthew.  He doesn't do reviews anymore but he had a strong following back in the day.  When he reviewed Episode 1, he kept using the phrase, "These Jedi are heroes?  My ass!!" especially when he would get to situations Jedi supposedly would not support.  For example, Anakin and his mother being slaves (would the Jedi as known from the original film) support that institution?  Or leaving Shmi behind? Or.... many other things that supposedly could have been dealt with differently.    

• Love 2
4 hours ago, starri said:

Kevin is a monster.

Kevin is only 8 years old. The biggest asshole was his uncle who called him a jerk, when Kevin spilling the milk was an accident and his dunce MORON of an older brother was the monster.

His father didn’t even tell his cheapskate of a brother he had no right to say that to his kid.

As I’ve stated on a different thread: The parents in this movie are THE WORST.

• Love 15
21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kevin is only 8 years old. The biggest asshole was his uncle who called him a jerk, when Kevin spilling the milk was an accident and his dunce MORON of an older brother was the monster.

His father didn’t even tell his cheapskate of a brother he had no right to say that to his kid.

As I’ve stated on a different thread: The parents in this movie are THE WORST.

Seconded and may I add NOTHING will ever make me feel sorry for the Wet Bandits, no matter how sadistic Kevin's traps were. They were criminals stealing from other people DURING CHRISTMAS who had zero qualms about terrorizing or hurting children. They deserved everything they got.

• Love 16
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kevin is only 8 years old. 

He also managed to do his laundry and get to the store to buy more detergent, a toothbrush and, I think, milk. 

I had absolutely zero interest in seeing Home Alone, but when we went to the theater to see another movie, it was sold out, so the people I was with decided to see this one.  I'd have been just as happy to leave home.  I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.  I agree, too, about Catherine O'Hara--she was great.

• Love 4

Catherine O'Hara is just a magical performer, period.

Here's another Christmas UO and I know everyone will hate me for it.

I love The Muppet Christmas Carol with all my heart... but I don't care one iota about "When Love is Gone". I actually caught that deleted scene on TV several years ago and I thought the actress did a terrible job performing it. Bitch, you're singing a melancholy break-up song... STOP SMILING!

• Love 7