Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On 5/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, bmoore4026 said:

Spider-Man (2002) is the best superhero movie.  Yes, even better than the original Superman and Batman films.  Even better than the Nolan Batman films.  Better than the Avengers movies despite me loving Infinity War, Endgame, Black Panther, and The Guardians of the Galaxy films.  I don't like how the Raimi Spider-Man movies are being ragged on of late.  They're quite enjoyable and fun.  Even Spider-Man 3 has its moments despite the miscasting of Topher Grace.

I'm going further - Tobey Maguire is the best Spider-Man.  Tom Holland is charming but I like Tobey Maguire more, maybe because there's no baggage of Tony Stark in them.  The Raimi Parker has to do things himself without a multi billionaire godfather helping him.  And he struggles just to make it in the big city.  That's quite relatable.

Also, Kirsten Dunst was perfect as MJ.  I liked her bubblyness.  I liked her charm.

I don't know how unpopular it is here but I love Grease.  Grease is a nice movie.  I don't know why people hate on it.

I think there are some movies where the soundtrack is better than the film. Grease and Saturday Night Fever are prefect examples. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think there are some movies where the soundtrack is better than the film. Grease and Saturday Night Fever are prefect examples. 

True.  I know about My Sharona because of that one scene in With Honors even though I've never seen the film and have no intention to.

Here's an unpopular opinion - Joel Schumacher was an underrated director and his Batman movies weren't that bad.  OK, Batman and Robin did suck and can't really be redeemed as camp but I chalk that up to poor casting and writing than directing.

Unpopular opinion number 2 - I'd gladly take Schumacher's Batman films, including Batman and Robin, over whatever the hell DCEU is.  I blame British Comic Book Writers (BCBW) for turning DC Comics so dark in the first place and many of them hate superheroes, thus we get DCEU's contemptible, nihilistic, (except for Shazam), and downright depressing versions of Superman and Batman.  In short, the BCBW aesthetic is detrimental to what superheroes should be viewed as.  That's why Marvel is beating them hand over fist.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Black Hawk Down. Terrible movie. But I still listen to the soundtrack today. It's gorgeous.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Unpopular opinion number 2 - I'd gladly take Schumacher's Batman films, including Batman and Robin, over whatever the hell DCEU is.  I blame British Comic Book Writers (BCBW) for turning DC Comics so dark in the first place and many of them hate superheroes, thus we get DCEU's contemptible, nihilistic, (except for Shazam), and downright depressing versions of Superman and Batman.  In short, the BCBW aesthetic is detrimental to what superheroes should be viewed as.  That's why Marvel is beating them hand over fist.

While Alan Moore is English, Frank Miller is American. Those are the two pillars the grimdark comics movement sprung from. You can't blame the BCBW for everything.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

While Alan Moore is English, Frank Miller is American. Those are the two pillars the grimdark comics movement sprung from. You can't blame the BCBW for everything.

My unpopular Moore opinion is that his whining about movies made using his stories, and his general craziness have kind of put me off wanting to read his comics. And I am someone who can see my copies of From Hell and Watchmen from where I sit right now.

• Love 2
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Inspired by Lindsay Ellis' latest video, and I don't know how unpopular it is around here, I declare that Titanic is more than a good movie.  It's a great movie.  Great acting, great sets, great cinematography, great effects, and great direction.  I never understood the hate or the asinine nitpicks.  It was a nice love story.  If there was a flaw, it's the fact that Rose married and later had children and grandchildren.  It would have been better if she remained a spinster.  She could have still gotten those photos taken of all the things she did without a husband and stuff.

Titanic was great, technically speaking, but the writing and acting were horrible, and overall, it's a terrible movie.  I'd much rather watch A Night to Remember, because it actually made me care about the characters.

I have no interest in ever seeing Hamilton, and I really wish Lin-Manuel Miranda would go away for awhile.  He's way overexposed.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Titanic was great, technically speaking, but the writing and acting were horrible, and overall, it's a terrible movie. 

The only thing I liked about Titanic were the costumes and sets. The love story left me unmoved. I did cry when The Strausses went down with the ship because 1.) real people and 2.) that is a love story!

I agree about Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm sure he's very talented and all but I'm kind of sick of him, no offense to the man, he seems like a good person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/1/2020 at 8:59 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Space Jam is stupid.

This is an unpopular opinion?  Believe me, you are among friends.  One of the worst, most insulting movies I've seen in my life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/7/2020 at 3:10 PM, Mabinogia said:

The only thing I liked about Titanic were the costumes and sets. The love story left me unmoved. I did cry when The Strausses went down with the ship because 1.) real people and 2.) that is a love story!

I agree about Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm sure he's very talented and all but I'm kind of sick of him, no offense to the man, he seems like a good person.

Same here. I loved the costumes and sets. I felt nothing about Rose or Jack. But the sinking was done real good. I feel for those people more then anyone else. The Strausses which was real and really amazing. Choosing to stay and die with your husband. Also the band members. When they are finally released try and save themselves. The one that plays and the rest coming back and start playing. Choosing to come back and die together? That also really happened too. Even the captain going down with his ship. Its so well done. I care about them all in those moments and those who died when the ship went down. Probably because it really happened and so many people died. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Also the band members. When they are finally released try and save themselves. The one that plays and the rest coming back and start playing. Choosing to come back and die together? That also really happened too. Even the captain going down with his ship. Its so well done. I care about them all in those moments and those who died when the ship went down. Probably because it really happened and so many people died. 

I wept like a baby during the entire sinking part of the movie but not for Rose and Jack, or any of the main characters. It was the ones you said, the band, when they realized they weren't going to survive just started playing again is just such a powerful moment, the Strausses holding each other as they went down gets me every time, Victor Garber's character watching his beautiful ship going down. Hell, I lose it every time I watch that magnificent staircase start to fill with water. 

The sinking really was cinematically perfect...until they focused on Rose and Jack and that stupid door. Everything else, though, was stunning and heartbreaking and a master class in film making. 

I wish they had given the movie a different focus than the "forbidden" love story but I also don't think it would have been nearly as financially successful if they didn't have the two young, pretty people from different social classes falling in love and one dies tragic love story the general population eat up so I have to suffer through it to watch my beautiful ship. (I'm slightly obsessed with the Titanic, the ship as well as the true story of the sinking). 

• Love 8
(edited)

The Jack and Rose aspect is probably what has aged the most, however, the ship itself and the actual sinking are still fantastic.  I think what the movie does really well is the introduction in Southampton, the attention to detail of the inside of the ship, and pretty much the entire last hour or so.  The Nearer My God to Thee sequence still packs a wallop.  First it's the melancholy of the hymn over the brief looks in on folks like Andrews and the Strausses, and then it's a juxtaposition over the chaos and fear on the deck.*  I also liked the way Cameron would show some lingering, almost romantic, shots of aspects of the ship being destroyed and also some sudden and violent ones.   The image of the main ceiling bursting  and flooding while some of the folks inside are screaming is haunting.  Really, all of the destruction is haunting in some way.  It was also smart to look in on the life boats and see their perspective from the outside.  And because Kathy Bates is a treasure and deserves as much screen time as possible.  And speaking of life boats, when the one does go back and you not only see the bodies frozen but the abject guilt on the face of the crew member when he realizes "We waited too long" it's so well done.  I understand some of the criticisms of the movie, but it's so much more than star crossed lovers and I still think it's worth it.  

And if you wanna play the game of did it deserve all those Oscars? It mostly won in technical or artistic categories (Sound, cinematography, art direction, score, costumes, etc.  And the damn song won too.) and I think it's hard to argue against those. (maybe the damn song, but there's no way that wasn't going to win.)  Also, as the mastermind of all of that, it's hard to say Cameron didn't deserve his Oscar for direction as well.   His attention to detail is crazy.  Best picture? In retrospect from 20 plus years out, the other nominee that maybe coulda/shoulda/woulda is LA Confidential but it's not as if LA Confidential has become this zeigeisty classic and Titanic this afterthought.  (The other nominees were As Good as It Gets, the Full Monty, and Good Will Hunting.)  Anything can be debated but Titanic winning doesn't feel like a whiff to me even in hindsight.

'

*Whenever I need a knife, I like to say "I need a knife!  I need a knife!" all panicked and English accent like the crew member.  It's even better when people don't get the reference and have no clue what I'm doing.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I also liked the way Cameron would show some lingering, almost romantic, shots of aspects of the ship being destroyed and also some sudden and violent ones.   The image of the main ceiling bursting  and flooding while some of the folks inside are screaming is haunting.  Really, all of the destruction is haunting in some way. 

I've always thought the one shot of the boat sticking almost completely straight up in the air against the clear night sky was super eerie. Partly because you know half of that boat has already gone underwater and anyone trapped on it is most assuredly dead or dying, and partly because it just really hammers home the tragedy of this story, that a ship that was so mighty and big and supposedly "unsinkable" was being destroyed right before our very eyes.

And all because it hit an iceberg. 

• Love 12

Upon even further Titanic reflection, I think it's best that the main story focused on three main the fictional characters.  The real historical people seemed to be treated very respectfully, as imperfect as I'm sure they were, with only J. Bruce Ismay as somewhat of a villain.  (and it's not like his jumping ship is untrue.)  This allowed for the  dramatic license to be taken with the Jack/Rose/Cal characters without "movie ending" anyone's real legacy.  I don't know if it was done on purpose, but if so, it was wise on Cameron's part.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Best picture? In retrospect from 20 plus years out, the other nominee that maybe coulda/shoulda/woulda is LA Confidential but it's not as if LA Confidential has become this zeigeisty classic and Titanic this afterthought.  (The other nominees were As Good as It Gets, the Full Monty, and Good Will Hunting.)

I saw all of those at the time, and the only one I'll re-watch is The Full Monty

If we're tallying, I hate Titanic; it's stunningly beautiful visually, but centering this terrific real story around a five-minute "romance" between two archetypes - one of whom is eager to be a poor woman in the 1910s, which could be excused by the fact she's only 17, except she's still on about this damn "relationship" 80+ years later - makes it profoundly stupid narratively.  I'm in for the captain going down with the ship, the Strauss-like couple going out together, the third class passengers who never had a chance, the shipbuilder's horror, Molly Brown's greatness, the band playing on - there are so many interesting stories given little snippets of time, but this star-crossed lovers dreck is put center stage.

• Love 13

I never cared about the Jack and Rose romance in Titanic. I went to see it because the tragedy and story just fascinated me. I didn't expect to be moved as much as I was. I mean, near the end, I'm sniffling and grabbing for the Kleenex--and NOT because Jack slipped off the flotsam and went down.

I went with a friend and even HE teared up at the end, and he was this sarcastic humor kinda guy. He said something that really made sense at the time. If Kleenex had put up a stand, they'd have made a lot of money for those who went in to see Titanic.

And as for Rose? Stupid Twit. Even at 80 some years old, or however old she was. Throwing that necklace into the ocean instead of, oh, I don't know, giving it to her granddaughter?

• Love 11

The most heartbreaking part of Titanic IMO was the part that was purely conjecture on the filmmakers' part but COULD have happened: when the  mother in steerage (who knew her family couldn't get to the surface or lifeboats in time to keep from drowning) put her children to bed and told her offsprig that in a little while they were soon going to live in heaven for centuries. 

15 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Upon even further Titanic reflection, I think it's best that the main story focused on three main the fictional characters.  The real historical people seemed to be treated very respectfully, as imperfect as I'm sure they were, with only J. Bruce Ismay as somewhat of a villain.  (and it's not like his jumping ship is untrue.)  This allowed for the  dramatic license to be taken with the Jack/Rose/Cal characters without "movie ending" anyone's real legacy.  I don't know if it was done on purpose, but if so, it was wise on Cameron's part.

And Will Murdoch, who's family was rightly upset about how he was portrayed. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I never cared about the Jack and Rose romance in Titanic. I went to see it because the tragedy and story just fascinated me. I didn't expect to be moved as much as I was. I mean, near the end, I'm sniffling and grabbing for the Kleenex--and NOT because Jack slipped off the flotsam and went down.

I went with a friend and even HE teared up at the end, and he was this sarcastic humor kinda guy. He said something that really made sense at the time. If Kleenex had put up a stand, they'd have made a lot of money for those who went in to see Titanic.

And as for Rose? Stupid Twit. Even at 80 some years old, or however old she was. Throwing that necklace into the ocean instead of, oh, I don't know, giving it to her granddaughter?

Or pawning it, FFS. Like the second she came to New York, she could have easily hocked it to get a decent bunch of new clothes and an apartment!

• Love 10
On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 10:19 PM, kiddo82 said:

Best picture? In retrospect from 20 plus years out, the other nominee that maybe coulda/shoulda/woulda is LA Confidential but it's not as if LA Confidential has become this zeigeisty classic and Titanic this afterthought. 

L.A. Confidential absolutely deserved to win Best Picture over Titanic, as it was a far superior movie, and Curtis Hanson deserved Best Director.  Because it takes more than technical mastery to make a magnificent film, and Hanson did it whereas, imo, Cameron did not.  And having read the book, I feel even more strong about Best Director than I originally did because I know how hard Hanson had to work to distill the essence of the story into film.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 1:22 AM, Bastet said:

I saw all of those at the time, and the only one I'll re-watch is The Full Monty

If we're tallying, I hate Titanic; it's stunningly beautiful visually, but centering this terrific real story around a five-minute "romance" between two archetypes - one of whom is eager to be a poor woman in the 1910s, which could be excused by the fact she's only 17, except she's still on about this damn "relationship" 80+ years later - makes it profoundly stupid narratively.  I'm in for the captain going down with the ship, the Strauss-like couple going out together, the third class passengers who never had a chance, the shipbuilder's horror, Molly Brown's greatness, the band playing on - there are so many interesting stories given little snippets of time, but this star-crossed lovers dreck is put center stage.

Have you seen A Night To Remember?  It's much better even without the technical wizardry.

• Love 2
On 7/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, proserpina65 said:

L.A. Confidential absolutely deserved to win Best Picture over Titanic, as it was a far superior movie, and Curtis Hanson deserved Best Director.  Because it takes more than technical mastery to make a magnificent film, and Hanson did it whereas, imo, Cameron did not.  And having read the book, I feel even more strong about Best Director than I originally did because I know how hard Hanson had to work to distill the essence of the story into film.

L.A. Confidential is a great movie. Absolutely fantastic. It manages to combine the glamour of 40s Hollywood and the seediness of 40s organised crime perfectly. Each story strand is compelling and could easily have been spun out into its own movie. The cast is great, every one of them perfect for the role.

Sadly, the Kevin Spacey stuff has not aged well - he tries to save a young, male actor who's being preyed upon by older, powerful movie producers.

I completely agree that the adaptation of the book was a huge challenge. The book is a sprawling, dark, unsettling vision, like all Ellroy's novels are, and would never have worked if they tried to translate it to screen as it was.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

As much as I do like Mike Myers' Shrek, I would have rather had Chris Farley's version. From the lost footage, he just had more heart and sweetness to the character. We were robbed.

That would have been cool to see. Chris Farley in Grown-Ups would have been awesome too since even though I do enjoy the first movie (and that is my unpopular opinion) Kevin James just doesn't fit in in some of the scenes. 

• Love 4
(edited)

On the subjects of both Mike Myers and 1997, while I enjoyed most of the movies that came out that year like Titanic and LA Confidential, my favorite movie of '97 was the first Austin Powers movie! I have never laughed so hard in a theater(which was practically empty because it only became a hit later on video). The sequels were okay but they didn't come close to matching the first. No offense to Verne Troyer (RIP) but I never cared for Mini Me.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

I liked the 2nd Austin Powers movie the best. The humor was more juvenile and I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy.

Fat Bastard was the bomb.

hungry fat bastard GIF

Beyonce was my favorite Powers girl though.

• Love 4

Mine was Liz Hurley. I didn’t warm to Heather Graham because I was annoyed She replaced Hurley. Foxy Cleopatra was just Beyoncé in a film to me. I don’t know That I’ve liked her in any films I’ve seen her in. I

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Liz aka Vanessa was my favorite Powers girl, followed by Beyoncé. Felicity Shagwell was too much like a female Austin for my taste, plus I too was mad about the whole Vanessa being a Fembot retcon.

Me too. They painted themselves in a corner at the end of the first movie having Austin marry her at the end. 

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:31 AM, Danny Franks said:

Sadly, the Kevin Spacey stuff has not aged well - he tries to save a young, male actor who's being preyed upon by older, powerful movie producers.

Yeah, that part is rather unfortunate, isn't it?  The storyline is still interesting, but it has connotations now which are difficult to ignore.  Spacey did give a great performance, but yeah, uncomfortable now.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Coneheads was one of the better SNL movies. Yes, it was dumb but fun. And certain aspects of the plot are a lot more relevant now than they were back in 1993.

Also, it must be said that Mr. Ackroyd and Miss Curtin displayed stronger chemistry as spouses and co-parents in that movie than they did in the original sketches. This despite the fact that the movie spelled out that their characters had been co-workers thrown together on an assignment who only were to fake being a married couple to spy/set the stage for the invasion while the sketches left the viewers unclear re how they met or whether their bond had been a spontaneous one. 

• Love 7
On 7/16/2020 at 11:19 AM, festivus said:

Beyonce was my favorite Powers girl though.

Same. I’ve never been impressed with Beyoncé’s acting, but she was good in this role. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I like Scream 3.  The only terrible thing in it for me was Courtney Cox' hair.

I had to look up which one that was. It's the movie one. I liked that one too. I thought it was fun. Courtney's bangs were a crime against humanity!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I like Scream 3. 

I'll do you one better:  I like Scream 4.

It's my least-favorite of the four (I like each one less than the one that came before it), but I do like it.  I have them all on DVD, and sometimes I just watch the original, but usually I watch the first two one night and three and four the next.

• Love 4

I find long takes distracting. While it's impressive to have nine actors do their stuff in a five minute take, I always end up waiting for the break, rather than watching the action itself. Anyone else have that problem?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I find long takes distracting. While it's impressive to have nine actors do their stuff in a five minute take, I always end up waiting for the break, rather than watching the action itself. Anyone else have that problem?

Not unless it's shot with the 'handheld shakies'! If there's more than a second or two of that, I get annoyed rather than impressed by their artistic vision. 

• Love 2

Having recently watched "Marriage Story", it really stayed with me. And since the movie does so many things right, the jarring things it IMO gets wrong stand out even more. I've seen criticism of the (lack of) writing for the kid and how it is a dishonest and convenient copout. And underwritten scenes for Nicole lead to the perverse effect that she lacks agency and becomes a supporting act for other people in various instances when the narrative is about her trying to reclaim her own life. All of that I've seen acknowledged as structural weaknesses.

But that shoe tying scene at the end is almost universally hailed. And No. Just No. IMO it's a totally sentimental and mawkish beat that isn't at all earned. We just saw these people needlessly destroy each other in unneccesarily traumatic divorce proceedings. I will let the convenient letter reading slide since it acknowledges their total failure to communicate and what they lost. And them actually being accomodating towards each other and not trying to hurt each other at all costs anymore is real progress. Since for a minute there absolute hatred was really on the table (and would certainly have suited the bank accounts of their lawyers some more.) But they walk on broken glass around each other in the other scenes since they've hurt each other so badly and the divorce burned down a lot of their trust in each other. IMO they don't have the relationship for that tender scene anymore. They wilfully destroyed that in the divorce. It's Baumbach throwing away narrative coherence for a pretty moment and most of the movie is better than that.

Edited by katha
  • Useful 2
47 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Not unless it's shot with the 'handheld shakies'! If there's more than a second or two of that, I get annoyed rather than impressed by their artistic vision. 

Shakycam is the worst. I remember how Blair Witch gave me a headache.

Further thought: what's worse than long takes, is fake ones. Where the editor stitches short takes together with moments where the camera loses focus. It's cheating. Atomic Blonde, I'm looking at you.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Anduin said:

I don't mind them (and if done well I love them) but I did go into 1917 not knowing that was its thing so I spent the first 5 or so minutes of the movie wondering "have we had a cut yet?  I don't remember a cut. When is the cut coming?" so I can empathize.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I don't mind them (and if done well I love them) but I did go into 1917 not knowing that was its thing so I spent the first 5 or so minutes of the movie wondering "have we had a cut yet?  I don't remember a cut. When is the cut coming?" so I can empathize.

I went to 1917 being dubious about whether I'd like it - I was desperate to see a good First World War movie, but the single, continuous shot structure seemed like a gimmick that would annoy me. But I loved it. I felt like it created an immediacy and tension that a traditional movie structure would have lacked. And I didn't care that there were hidden camera cuts, because there's no possible way to actually film a movie as a single, unbroken shot.

• Love 9

I could give a fuck about Gone with the Wind.  Well, there are some sequences that are amazing and Hattie MacDaniel is a dynamic queen, but it's mostly about two dysfunctional people in a terrible relationship and I don't need 2-in-a-half hours of that.  I get plenty of that shit in real life.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2

I’m sick of Batman movies and Batman in general. His rogue gallery and Gotham are more interesting than him. Joker and Heath Ledger were the best thing about TDK. 

Marvel movies work better when they focus on the human instead of the superheroes. Tom Holland is a better Peter Park and Spider-man than Toby and Andrew. 

Michael Bey’s first Transformers is the best alone with Bumblebee. 

I don’t like James Gunn style when he’s given free reign. He works better with someone there to tell him “ that ain’t it”

• Love 2

I decided to watch Almost Famous last night. I have seen it a ton of times and it is probably my 2nd favourite movie although I haven't watched it I years. I have the two disc set but ended up watching the theatrical version. And looking up the differences between that and the untitled director's cut edition, which I also haven't watched in years, confirmed for me again that the extended version is totally unnecessary. Two hours is like the perfect length for that movie, and adding more scenes about how little William is an outcast or what his mother is like or the band at a radio station doesn't really add any more to the story. Plus at over 2 hours and 40 minutes it makes it really long.

• Love 2

I have no idea if this is an UO, but I need to vent.  I made it through about 15 minutes of Les Mis, and it was 15 minutes I want back.  I love the musical and the anniversary concerts.  The movie is blowing it!  They are singing in the wrong places of the music.  It became physically painful to hear them sing the wrong words at the wrong beats.  When the woman snatched Fontine’s letter and began singing as if she were reading its contents before she even finished opening the paper, I lost it.   How did people think this was good?!?

• Love 5

Maybe try the 1998 version.  I remember liking that a lot, but I was a kid in school.  LOL.  

On 8/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I thought An American Pickle was dumb. Sorry.

The critics might disagree with you, but the audience is on your side.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 3.04.59 PM.png

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I have no idea if this is an UO, but I need to vent.  I made it through about 15 minutes of Les Mis, and it was 15 minutes I want back.  I love the musical and the anniversary concerts.  The movie is blowing it!  They are singing in the wrong places of the music.  It became physically painful to hear them sing the wrong words at the wrong beats.  When the woman snatched Fontine’s letter and began singing as if she were reading its contents before she even finished opening the paper, I lost it.   How did people think this was good?!?

It helps to not be particularly familiar with the musical, like me.

• Love 1