Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I like the original Star Wars trilogy but I think the myth has far surpassed the actual product by this point.  They're fun movies but they're not without their flaws.  And honestly, Return of the Jedi is a bit of a chore. 

I still maintain that even with its drawbacks, Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Jedi is.  And Rogue One is better than Jedi and the entire prequel and sequel trilogies.  

On 7/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, kiddo82 said:

One more UO.  I'm not going to wring my hands over remakes, sequels, and reboots

I think I remember an essay from Roger Ebert wondering why, instead of remaking classic films, someone doesn't try to remake a movie that should have worked, but just didn't quite get there.  

There are actually plenty of movies I would love to see remade.  They've talked for years about remaking The Warriors, and while that's only a classic if you also include the word "cult," I would 100% be in favor of that, again, assuming a good writer and director.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, starri said:

There are actually plenty of movies I would love to see remade.  They've talked for years about remaking The Warriors, and while that's only a classic if you also include the word "cult," I would 100% be in favor of that, again, assuming a good writer and director.

The book of I Know What You Did Last Summer was actually a nuanced look at guilt (or the lack of) and how people deal with it. It's a shame that had to boil that all away to turn them into innocent teenagers being stalked by a madman instead of a grieving brother who just saw 4 kids who did a terrible thing yet all seemed to be leading awesome lives. (Julie got into Smith, Ray was bumming around California, Helen was a t.v. personality, and Barry was a college football hero.)

Lois Duncan always seemed really unlucky with movie adaptions of her books, may god rest her soul.

• Love 10
(edited)

I feel like these days, Lois Duncan would probably follow VC Andrews into a series of movies on Lifetime.

Which for the record, I would be totally down with, if they agreed from the outset to do Down the Dark Hall.

ETA:  As long as they do it better than the Lifetime remake of Watcher in the Woods, which I also would have been in favor of with better people behind the camera.

Edited by starri
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, starri said:

I still maintain that even with its drawbacks, Revenge of the Sith is a better movie than Jedi is.  And Rogue One is better than Jedi and the entire prequel and sequel trilogies.  

YES! to both, particularly to Rogue One deserving to be amongst the top 3 Star Wars films.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The book of I Know What You Did Last Summer was actually a nuanced look at guilt (or the lack of) and how people deal with it. It's a shame that had to boil that all away to turn them into innocent teenagers being stalked by a madman instead of a grieving brother who just saw 4 kids who did a terrible thing yet all seemed to be leading awesome lives. (Julie got into Smith, Ray was bumming around California, Helen was a t.v. personality, and Barry was a college football hero.)

I keep meaning to check that book out from the library, because I remember loving it as a kid, but don't remember many details; I'm curious as to what I'd think now.  The movies are horrible, but maybe a proper adaptation instead of a generic slasher film would be good.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I keep meaning to check that book out from the library, because I remember loving it as a kid, but don't remember many details; I'm curious as to what I'd think now.  The movies are horrible, but maybe a proper adaptation instead of a generic slasher film would be good.

I tried to re-read it, but it doesn’t age well. YMMV, but you might want to just hold onto your memories.

I still re-read Down a Dark Hall on a regular basis. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I like the original Star Wars trilogy but I think the myth has far surpassed the actual product by this point.  They're fun movies but they're not without their flaws.  And honestly, Return of the Jedi is a bit of a chore. 

The Ewoks - oh dear god, the Ewoks!

• Love 4

Oh, there are people who love Return of the Jedi too! That one is my favorite. Revenge of the Sith took over for a little while for me as my favorite but then it went back to Return of Jedi. Its always going to be my favorite. I love the Ewoks. But I love seeing the Rebels finally win. I loved see the Emperor's trap sprang and then watch the Rebels figure out ways around it. C3PO of all people pretending to be the bait. I love all of Luke and Vader's fight especially Luke refusing to fight. I love see Vader/Anakin throwing Palpatine down the shaft and him telling Luke to take his mask off. Telling Luke he saved him.  I like seeing the galaxy wide celebration that was added in later. I love the parts at Jabba's palace and seeing them rescue Han. Leia murdering Jabba. I think my only real regret is we never got to see Han's reaction to being told Vader is Leia's father. 

• Love 9

Luke has always been my favorite character so I have a soft spot for Return of the Jedi.  He has his powers and can control them, he is a respected Jedi, he is the true hero when he saves Anikan.  “I am a Jedi like my father before me.”  Swoon.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I will always love Return of the Jedi and the Ewoks! God bless those plucky li'l teddy bears!!

Me, too!  And I was definitley not the target demographic for marketing (I was in college!).  (But I bought one of the plush toys anyway, and I still have him.)

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm going to piss off my fellow kids of the 1990s, but here goes:

I loathe, despise, abhor, and just flat-out HATE Bartok the bat from Anastasia! He's annoying, unfunny, he never suffered any comeuppance for his complicity in Rasputin's evil deeds, and Hank Azaria sounded as though he was in agony the whole time!

Damn, it feels great to admit that after 20 or so years. I feel a pound lighter. :)

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 3

Pocohantas was basically the last Disney movie I gave a shit about. By 1997 I was pretty much all about the WB as well as teen horror movies so I didn't really catch the late 90's era of Disney. Even now the only recent animated movies I liked were Inside Out and Zootopia.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, starri said:

...I've never seen Frozen.

I've seen the first few minutes. As soon as the parents start acting like complete nitwits, I stopped.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm going to piss off my fellow kids of the 1990s, but here goes:

I loathe, despise, abhor, and just flat-out HATE Bartok the bat from Anastasia! He's annoying, unfunny, he never suffered any comeuppance for his complicity in Rasputin's evil deeds, and Hank Azaria sounded as though he was in agony the whole time!

Damn, it feels great to admit that after 20 or so years. I feel a pound lighter. :)

I REFUSE to watch Anastasia. Just flat out refuse to watch it, knowing what the reality is. Call me whatever you want. I will NOT watch it.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I REFUSE to watch Anastasia. Just flat out refuse to watch it, knowing what the reality is. Call me whatever you want. I will NOT watch it.

Don't feel bad, I feel the same about Pocahontas. Disney, I love ya, but you done messed up with that one. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Don't feel bad, I feel the same about Pocahontas. Disney, I love ya, but you done messed up with that one. 

True! Which is why I haven't and will never watch it again. And don't even get me started on the "sequel."

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't blame you. I found out the reality the hard way. I was ten when it came out, the promos duped me into thinking she really was out there in hiding...until I watched a TV documentary about the real Romanovs. It was very traumatizing. My parents took me to see the movie the next day to make me feel better, but needless to say the experience was tarnished.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't blame you. I found out the reality the hard way. I was ten when it came out, the promos duped me into thinking she really was out there in hiding...until I watched a TV documentary about the real Romanovs. It was very traumatizing. My parents took me to see the movie the next day to make me feel better, but needless to say the experience was tarnished.

Mine was in reverse I watched the Disney movie and loved it. Then watched a documentary and was horrified.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

True! Which is why I haven't and will never watch it again. And don't even get me started on the "sequel."

I Hate the Hunchback of Notre Dame! It's ableist and too violent for kids. Frollo tries to kill Quasimodo at the start of the movie and I loathe how Quasimodo has to watch Pheobus and Esmerelda fall in love after he developed a crush on her.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I have, however, heard that horrible song a zillion times, and it makes me want to kill myself every single time.

I heard it once a couple of years ago when I was shopping and was dumbfounded by all the hype surrounding it. It's extremely mediocre.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just one minor nitpick: Anastasia is actually NOT a Disney movie, it's a Warner Bros. movie (even more specifically, a Don Bluth movie for Warner Bros.). In fact, it's probably the most significant animated movie of the 90's that Disney ISN'T responsible for.

Now, on to my UO:

There is an argument to be made that the last truly good, entertaining Disney movie to be released is The Emperor's New Groove, and that was in 2000, sooo...not a good sign, Disney. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, UYI said:

There is an argument to be made that the last truly good, entertaining Disney movie to be released is The Emperor's New Groove, and that was in 2000, sooo...not a good sign, Disney. 

I'd agree with this.  I just looked at the list of Disney animated movies since 2000.  Of the ones I've seen, I'd say some were cute, some had good moments, some were poignant, some started strong and ended kind of "meh" or vice versa, but the last one that was funny all the way through, imo as well, is The Emperor's New Groove.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, UYI said:

Just one minor nitpick: Anastasia is actually NOT a Disney movie, it's a Warner Bros. movie (even more specifically, a Don Bluth movie for Warner Bros.). In fact, it's probably the most significant animated movie of the 90's that Disney ISN'T responsible for.

The best animated movie in the 90s that wasn't from Disney was The Prince of Egypt.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'd agree with this.  I just looked at the list of Disney animated movies since 2000.  Of the ones I've seen, I'd say some were cute, some had good moments, some were poignant, some started strong and ended kind of "meh" or vice versa, but the last one that was funny all the way through, imo as well, is The Emperor's New Groove.

What about Zootopia? That was pretty good.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

What about Zootopia? That was pretty good.

Yes, I'll give you Zootopia. That was pretty funny throughout, but I still like Emperor's New Groove better.  I'd put Zootopia at a very close second, with Big Hero 6 third.  Again, though, I haven't seen every Disney film in the last 18 years, but of the ones I've seen, I'd put these three at the top. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, UYI said:

Now, on to my UO:

Have you seen Wreck-It-Ralph? That's my favorite recent Disney movie. I think Disney has gotten lazy between buying Marvel and Star Wars and remaking all their animated classics instead of creating new moving.

• Love 5

I liked Mamma Mia as a stage musical, but as a movie it sucked. I don't know why it didn't translate to the screen well for me, I just feel like they dumbed it down.

And I would rather cut off my ears than hear Pierce Brosnan sing again -- okay maybe that part isn't an UO.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I liked Mamma Mia as a stage musical, but as a movie it sucked. I don't know why it didn't translate to the screen well for me, I just feel like they dumbed it down.

And I would rather cut off my ears than hear Pierce Brosnan sing again -- okay maybe that part isn't an UO.

I loved Mama Mia until the ending. I thought they should have revealed the identity of Sophie's father. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Have you seen Wreck-It-Ralph? That's my favorite recent Disney movie. I think Disney has gotten lazy between buying Marvel and Star Wars and remaking all their animated classics instead of creating new moving.

I love Wreck-it-Ralph. Its currently my favorite. I like Frozen a lot but wish they hadn't gone with Hans for the villain. It was one of few stories that would have worked just as well without one. Plus Hans makes more sense that way, he and Anna could have decided to end things because they didn't know each other very well. One of my favorite animation moves is Road to El Dorado I love Miguel and Tulio and it was really fun to see a setting in this side of the Hemisphere, Miguel having so much fun exploring the city and we got to see them work to keep Cortez out (I like Pocahontas but not so much the story). I really liked the idea of it ending with the two going off without a map. I wish we had gotten a sequel seeing the two and Chel having adventures exploring parts of North, South and Central America.    

• Love 2
On ‎07‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Popples said:

I heard it once a couple of years ago when I was shopping and was dumbfounded by all the hype surrounding it. It's extremely mediocre.

I worked retail the Christmas after it came out.  Over and over and over again, for hours at a time, I heard that song.  Made me want to drive an ice pick through my eardrums.

• Love 2

I saw Mama Mia: Here We Go Again yesterday, then, last night, I watched Mama Mia again because it was obvious that I'd forgotten a few things that would have helped me with the 2nd movie (I only saw the first one once in the theaters when it first came out).  I didn't like either one, but found the second one to be slightly more enjoyable. 

My UO  about the first one (maybe?)

• Meryl Streep was woefully miscast.
  • While I'm all for grown women maintaining their playfulness and spirit, they were way over acting those moments (which is a director issue)
  • I agree that Pierce Brosnan was the worst singer, but Meryl, Stellan and Julie weren't very good, either.  I think the one thing that made the second one slightly better were the better vocals.
  • Given the timelines, the older cast was too old for the parts they played.

UO opinion about the second one:  I didn't miss Meryl Streep at all.  There were a few moments where I wished the character was there, but for the most part, I really didn't mind that she wasn't a part of it. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I agree that Pierce Brosnan was the worst singer, but Meryl, Stellan and Julie weren't very good, either.  I think the one thing that made the second one slightly better were the better vocals.

Yeah. I love Meryl and all, but after listening to the sequel soundtrack, Lily James is a far better singer.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:
  • While I'm all for grown women maintaining their playfulness and spirit, they were way over acting those moments (which is a director issue)

The woman who directed it (although she did help Meryl get her undeserved third Oscar) is primarily a theater director.  Someone should have told her the actors didn't need to play to the balcony.  Although, I did like the satirical review the Onion gave the sequel, that it doesn't need to be good, you're just going to see name actors sing Abba songs with elaborate choreography.  And I generally hate jukebox musicals.

29 minutes ago, starri said:

The woman who directed it (although she did help Meryl get her undeserved third Oscar) is primarily a theater director.  Someone should have told her the actors didn't need to play to the balcony.

I remember back when it was first released, I was telling a friend of mine that I didn't like it because the movements were too big and exaggerated and that's exactly what he said. 

My unpopular opinion: after watching Lady Bird, 3 Billboards and Manchester by the Sea, I am not a fan of teenagers cursing out their parents/legal guardians. In each of these movies, the kids have no qualms with calling their parents ugly names, and it is never commented on or even displayed as improper in the movie's text. It just always catches me off-guard and I cringe through those moments.

Also, I agree with SHANNON L that I did not miss Merly Streep at all in the Mama Mia sequel. Not only did I think Lily James did a remarkable job carrying the film, but by the end of the movie I preferred her version of Donna to Meryl Streep's version.

• Love 12

I don't care how well it does at the box office or how much it gets hyped, I will NOT be watching the newest Mission: Impossible flic for the very same reason I've made it a point not to watch anything featuring Tom Cruise: I don't want any portion of my monies to contribute to Scientology!

• Love 17
(edited)

I liked the live-action Beauty and the Beast more than I liked the live action The Jungle Book.

There. I said it.

At this point I feel like it's an UO on this site to say I even liked the live action one at all. I know not everyone liked it and we're all entitled to own opinions/tastes, but still, I can't help feeling annoyed whenever people on the forum take shots at it. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7