Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I don't get all the fuss about Chris Pratt.  I guess his acting is ok, and he looks ok but he does nothing for me. 

Dang, Ohwell, I was planning on posting this exact thing, but you beat me to the punch.

Or maybe I've already posted something like this. Eh, doesn't matter, my point is: Chris Pratt? Big whoop.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was fine with Chris in "Guardians in the Galaxy" where he's suposed to be a wisecracking anti hero, a little off center. in Jurassic World he was OK, but I just couldn't quite buy him as an action/hero type. HE looked the part, he sounded fine, but there was the little something extra missing, can't pinpoint it.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

HE looked the part, he sounded fine, but there was the little something extra missing, can't pinpoint it.

He's not rugged enough.  He needs to look tougher.

I like him for the kind of person he seems to be instead of just his characters (which I find quite charming (the ones I've seen anyway)--he has great comic timing, imo).  Like I said somewhere on this site, he really seems like a genuinely nice guy.  I have yet to hear anything but good things about him. 

• Love 3

The Breaking Down the Shot thread reminded me that, of the Damon Bourne movies, Bourne Identity is the only one I liked and can watch any time it's on.  I think the sequels are more popular, especially the 2nd one, but the Paul Greengrass shaky cam method killed any enjoyment.  I have no desire to feel disoriented and possibly nauseous when I watching a film. I also preferred the Bourne Legacy with Renner over the 2nd and 3rd films. 

• Love 3

It's not that I'm against Beast turning back into a human (otherwise, what kind of relationship could he and Belle have?), but... that was the best they could do? To be fair, though, the Beast-turned-Prince in the 1946 Cocteau version is a thousand times worse (they put him in a dippy, garish costume, and he's wearing more make-up than Belle).

Let's hope the good folks at Disney can make Dan Stevens equally desirable as both the Beast and the Prince in the upcoming live action version.

I hear a lot about how people hate the way human Beast looks. My UO would be that I find human beast attractive. I dig that he's not as pretty as the other princes. He has a masculine nose and whatnot. I dunno, he's hot.

• Love 2
(edited)

My apologies if I've mentioned this before, but I don't think I have.  In the TV Star Crushes thread, posters are remarking on their love of Colin Farrel.  My UO is regarding his movie Phone Booth.  IIRC, it didn't do well and the critics were kind of "meh" about it.  But, I thought it was fantastic.  I even go so far as to say that acting coaches should show the film in class as an excellent example of the trade.  The way he went from an arrogant asshole, to panic, to fear, to resignation, to regret?....Brilliant, imo.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

I think Phone Booth got kind of screwed, because it got pushed back due to the DC sniper.  It kind of came and went without much fanfare.  It is a good movie though.  But honestly, I'd probably listen to Keifer Sutherland read the phonebook for two hours and think it was a great movie.

• Love 3

I remember when Phone Booth came out. They put it in such a bad time of year. While not exactly critically acclaimed or box office hit, a lot of people I know find it an OK film. I really liked In Bruges. He also delivered a really nice performance in a UK film which didn't make it over here called London Boulevard. I don't recommend it because it was depressing, but I actually saw Farell filming it a bit.

Colin Farrell was great in the Fright Night remake. Very creepy and no way near an Edward Cullin vamp type character. Actually I thought the Fright Night remake was pretty entertaining.

Also my UO, I don't like Frozen.

• Love 1
(edited)

I appreciate, rather than like, Frozen. I hope it's a gateway to more Disney films with primarily female protagonists. In all honesty, though? I greatly prefer Tangled, because I thought it had a more solid story. And Sven and Olaf don't hold a candle to Maximus and Pasquale.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Phone Booth got kind of screwed, because it got pushed back due to the DC sniper.  It kind of came and went without much fanfare.

That's right. I'd forgotten about the timing.

But honestly, I'd probably listen to Keifer Sutherland read the phonebook for two hours and think it was a great movie

Not a movie, but we're watching 24 for a third time now because our youngest wants to see it (we watched it first, then when our son was old enough, introduced him to it, now it's her turn) and we're still enjoying it.  That voice...mmm.....

While not exactly critically acclaimed or box office hit, a lot of people I know find it an OK film.

Funny story:  My dad doesn't swear.  He just doesn't.  When I was younger, he'd turn the channel if anything more than "damn" was said because "there's no need for that kind of language".  FFWD a decade or so and I'm living 3000 miles away and have been since I graduated high school.  I call to say hi, talked to my mom first and when we were done, asked for dad.  He told her to tell me that he'd call me back--he was in the middle of a movie:  Phone Booth!  lol! 

I don't recommend it because it was depressing, but I actually saw Farell filming it a bit.

My friend's son worked on a movie with him. Said he was a really nice guy. 

I liked Frozen--thought the animation was gorgeous--but didn't think it was as good as all the hoopla it was getting.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

Upcoming Disney movies with female protagonists:

Queen of Katwe

[...]

IMDb description: "A young girl from Uganda trains to become a world chess champion."  Genres: Drama, Sport

With that alone I am in love with this film.  Throw in some David Oyelowo and Lupita Nyong'o and I am beyond there.

(Also, thank you for not including the Princess of North Sudan on that list because God willing that will never see the light of day.)

• Love 1

I've never seen the Jurassic films from the 90s, so I saw Jurassic World with no prior context.  I enjoyed it well enough, but I confess: I didn't really care about the other animals that the Big Bad Rex killed.  Despite the movie's best efforts, I cared more about the human deaths. 

Finally watched Pulp Fiction. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Thought it was clever and there were good performances, but that it overall ran too long and any dialogue that I found impressive was overshadowed by the constant use of the word "fuck" and it felt like listening to a 8 year-old discovering a new bad word which took me out of the scenes. That said, when watching the movie I definitely did not feel the sense of outrage that many others apparently felt in that the movie did not win the Best Movie Oscar that year. Granted, I love the movie that did win (Forrest Gump, an UO in itself) but even if FG didn't win, I still would've picked The Shawshank Redemption, and then even The Lion King over PF (and TLK wasn't even nominated in the category). There are movie critics that act like it was a travesty that PF didn't win, and frankly, I don't see it. Again, it wasn't a bad movie (and deserved to be nominated) but it wasn't the super special movie that the internet led me to believe it was.

And on that note, another UO is that I don't necessarily think "edgy" means "better" when it comes to movies. I liked The King's Speech and The Artist and think they deserved the prizes they got despite being the "safer" choices.

• Love 11

Finally watched Pulp Fiction. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Thought it was clever and there were good performances, but that it overall ran too long and any dialogue that I found impressive was overshadowed by the constant use of the word "fuck" and it felt like listening to a 8 year-old discovering a new bad word which took me out of the scenes. That said, when watching the movie I definitely did not feel the sense of outrage that many others apparently felt in that the movie did not win the Best Movie Oscar that year. Granted, I love the movie that did win (Forrest Gump, an UO in itself) but even if FG didn't win, I still would've picked The Shawshank Redemption, and then even The Lion King over PF (and TLK wasn't even nominated in the category). There are movie critics that act like it was a travesty that PF didn't win, and frankly, I don't see it. Again, it wasn't a bad movie (and deserved to be nominated) but it wasn't the super special movie that the internet led me to believe it was.

I will go one step further - I hate Pulp Fiction. I find it completely overrated. The only Tarintino movie I like is Resevoir Dogs, and that's because it's the only one of his that isn't a bloated mess that's up its own ass.

• Love 5

I think Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn made careers out of playing themselves, and my unpopular opinion is that I think it is ridiculous that she holds the record for most Oscar wins.

• Love 2

I know its not an unpopular opinion that the Oscars have stopped meaning anything but I guess its debatable when that started. I've always loved that Elizabeth Taylor just outright said she got an Oscar for her real life health issues.

• Love 3
(edited)

I find the revered Spencer Tracy can be quite dull in some of his film roles. I did like him in "Bad Day at Black Rock" but many times his stolidity I found quite boring.

That's fine, because I feel the same towards Henry Fonda. 

On the flip side, I will never, ever understand the foaming-at-the-mouth hatred people have towards Greer Garson. I thought she was lovely and a fine actress who radiated warmth and elegance.

I also think Ginger Rogers never fully gets her due as an actress and comedienne. She's absolutely priceless in The Major and the Minor (what a shame she and Billy Wilder never worked together again).

I thought Shirley Booth deserved her Oscar for Come Back, Little Sheba.

I don't get why people were so enchanted by Anna Magnani. I never thought she was attractive or even a good actress (she always seemed to talk to herself instead of her co-stars). I think The Rose Tattoo is an unwatchable, overwrought mess (not to mention it has what is easily Burt Lancaster's worst performance), and she shouldn't even have been nominated for an Oscar, let alone win.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1

I know its not an unpopular opinion that the Oscars have stopped meaning anything but I guess its debatable when that started. I've always loved that Elizabeth Taylor just outright said she got an Oscar for her real life health issues.

Did she really?

• Love 1

Did she really?

It's the general consensus that she won for Butterfield 8 (after having been robbed for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof a year or two earlier) because during the voting that year, Ms. Taylor suffered a very bad case of pneumonia, even receiving a emergency tracheotomy, IIRC.  Hence, the sympathy vote.   I've never seen a quote by Taylor specifically about it - and she made some great, very quotable quotes -  but Taylor was known for being funny, bawdy and brutally honest, so it's certainly a possibility.  

• Love 2

I have no problem if a "competitive" Oscar happens to be given out as a lifetime achievement award. If a long overdue actor or actress is in the field, and there is no true standout performance in the pack, then hell yeah give it to the veteran.

"Campaigning" for the Oscar has gone on since Day 1. Really, they were doing in back in 1929, when Mary Pickford won Best Actress for a movie that was roundly panned and everyone thought it was an obvious career award. They've always had this problem.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn made careers out of playing themselves, and my unpopular opinion is that I think it is ridiculous that she holds the record for most Oscar wins.

Hee- as Dorothy Parker said, she played the gamut of emotions from A to B

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I've always thought that about Katherine Hepburn. Not saying she was a bad actress, but I always feel like I'm watching Katherine Hepburn instead of the character she's playing (although I do like her in The Lion in Winter because it doesn't look like she's just playing herself). I've always found it funny that she disliked Meryl Streep as an actress (I guess because she could "see" her acting, or something along those lines) because no matter anyone's feelings about Streep, I think we can agree that she's got a lot of range. Granted, Hepburn acted during a time when playing the same character was common, but it didn't stop Bette Davis, who managed to play different roles. Then again, it probably comes to my own preference. I'm always willing to give an actor a chance if they're playing a role that's out of their comfort zone (ex. comedian doing drama and vice versa) because at least it's something new.

On that note, I liked him as an actor, but I never understood what was so GREAT about Humphrey Bogart. 

• Love 4

I've always thought that about Katherine Hepburn. Not saying she was a bad actress, but I always feel like I'm watching Katherine Hepburn instead of the character she's playing (although I do like her in The Lion in Winter because it doesn't look like she's just playing herself)

What's worth noting is that Liz Taylor also won the Oscar in 1967, playing Martha to Richard Burton's George in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Burton was nominated for Best Actor but didn't win, losing to Paul Scofield, but when you consider what her real life marriages to him were like, there was at least one point where she was playing herself as well.

(edited)

It's the general consensus that she won for Butterfield 8 (after having been robbed for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof a year or two earlier) because during the voting that year, Ms. Taylor suffered a very bad case of pneumonia, even receiving a emergency tracheotomy, IIRC. Hence, the sympathy vote. I've never seen a quote by Taylor specifically about it - and she made some great, very quotable quotes - but Taylor was known for being funny, bawdy and brutally honest, so it's certainly a possibility.

The quote is here.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

What's worth noting is that Liz Taylor also won the Oscar in 1967, playing Martha to Richard Burton's George in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Burton was nominated for Best Actor but didn't win, losing to Paul Scofield, but when you consider what her real life marriages to him were like, there was at least one point where she was playing herself as well.

Taylor skipped the awards that year (1967).  I don't recall if it was merely speculated or confirmed that it was because, while Taylor was a shoo-in and everybody knew it, Scofield was also heavily favored to win.  Taylor didn't want to drag Burton to the ceremonies and upstage him; whether it was to spare his feelings or avoid the inevitable aftermath -- who knows?  But they stayed in Paris rather than attend the Oscar-TM ceremony.

I've always thought that about Katherine Hepburn. Not saying she was a bad actress, but I always feel like I'm watching Katherine Hepburn instead of the character she's playing (although I do like her in The Lion in Winter because it doesn't look like she's just playing herself). I've always found it funny that she disliked Meryl Streep as an actress (I guess because she could "see" her acting, or something along those lines) because no matter anyone's feelings about Streep, I think we can agree that she's got a lot of range.  

I kind of agree on Hepburn; but I feel like she's doing a stage play instead of a movie most of the time, semi-shouting her lines out to nobody in particular.  I love The Philadelphia Story and Stage Door, but for me, she's the weak link in them.   Just my opinion. 

• Love 1

I find the whole thing with Hepburn and The Philadelphia Story really interesting. In the years leading up to it, she was "box office poison", had a really bad relationship with the press and the public, and even bought out her own contract from RKO. Howard Hughes bought the film rights for her before the play debuted with her as the star. She sold the film rights to MGM with certain conditions on the stars and the director. She definitely had a sense of humor about herself as she let the first shot of the movie be of Cary Grant knocking her down. The plot is really convoluted and the pairings don't even make much sense; however, it's a rather fun and zippy movie because of everything she put together. She had some shrewd business sense. I can see her more as a director-producer than actor sometimes.

• Love 3

Setting aside the market saturation of the genre, I think there's a place for uplifting AND dark/sobering superhero films, if done well.  Not sure why it needs to be either/or.  

On a somewhat related note, I'm learning to avoid as much hype/criticism as I can around films - these days, the groundswell can build years before a film is even released. I'll enjoy a film or I won't, but I can't muster up much energy to obsess over it before I see it.   

Finally, I don't have any significant issues with CGI.  If it's seamlessly integrated into the film, then fine by me.  Yes, obvious CGI is unappealing, but I don't have anything inherently against the technology.  I appreciate well done special effects, in any form. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I find the whole thing with Hepburn and The Philadelphia Story really interesting. In the years leading up to it, she was "box office poison", had a really bad relationship with the press and the public, and even bought out her own contract from RKO. Howard Hughes bought the film rights for her before the play debuted with her as the star. She sold the film rights to MGM with certain conditions on the stars and the director. She definitely had a sense of humor about herself as she let the first shot of the movie be of Cary Grant knocking her down. The plot is really convoluted and the pairings don't even make much sense; however, it's a rather fun and zippy movie because of everything she put together. She had some shrewd business sense. I can see her more as a director-producer than actor sometimes.

She was an interesting woman. Towards the end of her life, when she finally started talking about herself, she said that she thought she allowed far too much of her life to be focused on men (her father, Hughes, Tracy) and she didn't think of herself as much of a feminist role model as a result. I thought that was kind of brave of her.

I can see the point about her playing out Katherine Hepburn's mannerisms instead of acting, but she sure did find the Katherine Hepburn in a lot of disparate characters.

Setting aside the market saturation of the genre, I think there's a place for uplifting AND dark/sobering superhero films, if done well.  Not sure why it needs to be either/or.

I'm not generally a fan of the superhero genre, but there have been some I really enjoyed. I am, though, tired to death of privileged directors with family connections making their fillms as morbid and hopeless as possible because they feel like they need to impress on the lumpenproleteriat that shit doesn't always end well. Seriously, really? An obscene percentage of the people on this planet are not actually getting enough food to survive, and some connected multimillionaire director needs to explain to them that life sucks?

I have a vague fantasy where all these people are forced, a la Clockwork Orange, to watch Sullivan's Travels. Failing that, I think I would really enjoy the Twilight Zone episode where the privileged brats got to live in the cleverly depressing world they're so determined to sell everyone else on.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I'm not generally a fan of the superhero genre, but there have been some I really enjoyed. I am, though, tired to death of privileged directors with family connections making their fillms as morbid and hopeless as possible because they feel like they need to impress on the lumpenproleteriat that shit doesn't always end well. Seriously, really? An obscene percentage of the people on this planet are not actually getting enough food to survive, and some connected multimillionaire director needs to explain to them that life sucks?

Agreed, though I don't think that's restricted to superhero films. 

• Love 1
(edited)

My own spin on Katharine Hepburn is that alot of the films she's acclaimed for aren't necessarily her best performances. "Sylvia Scarlet" is quite a strange little film with Hepburn and Cary Grant having great chemistry together, along with another underrated gem "Holiday". The films she won Oscars for "Guess who's coming to Dinner" "The Lion in Winter" and especially "On Golden Pond" I find her roles excruciatingly noble. Even "Morning Glory" back in 1933 I think her tomboy Jo in "Little Women" was infinitely better. I prefer her comedy like "Pat and Mike", the comedy/drama of "The African Queen", the pathos of "Alice Adams" or the straight tragedienne role of Mary Tyrone in "Long Days Journey into Night". Which is a round about way of saying I don't think she's necessarily overrated, just that her range is best showcased in her non Oscar winning roles.

However I do think "Bringing up Baby" is justifiably acclaimed of as one of the best if not the best screwball comedy with her and Cary Grant sheer perfection. I just can't see Meryl Streep giving such a free and easy balls out comedic performance, in that sense I think Meryl, not Katharine, is way too mannered.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

I kind of love her, but I do think there was a touch of the tomboy Margaret Dumont to Katherine Hepburn early in her career. I think she was less grande dame as Eleanor of Aquitaine than she was in Stage Door or Alice Adams. 

• Love 1

I don't know if this is a popular opinion as much as a general weirdness, but I tend to find a lot of horror movies to be sad as opposed to scary. The Babadook, El Orfanto, The Devil's Backbone- all of them movies that are labeled horror, but tend to just fill me with sadness and existential dread instead. Even the movie Shaun of the Dead, which is a horror/comedy, was incredibly sad when both Shaun's mother and best friend Ed get bitten. And if horror movies aren't depressing me, they are making me laugh my ass off at the sheer absurdity of it all.

• Love 5
(edited)

I tend to find a lot of horror movies to be sad as opposed to scary. 

Those are my favorite types of horror movie. They are tragedies. The ones you mentioned and even more so the old Universal/Paramount ones.    It's probably not an "unpopular" opinion here, but on a lot of horror movie sites/boards it is, yes - especially for people who prefer straight-up slashers or gorefests and aren't willing to broaden their horizons. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I don't know if this is a popular opinion as much as a general weirdness, but I tend to find a lot of horror movies to be sad as opposed to scary. The Babadook, El Orfanto, The Devil's Backbone- all of them movies that are labeled horror, but tend to just fill me with sadness and existential dread instead. Even the movie Shaun of the Dead, which is a horror/comedy, was incredibly sad when both Shaun's mother and best friend Ed get bitten. And if horror movies aren't depressing me, they are making me laugh my ass off at the sheer absurdity of it all.

Carrie (the original from 1976) is a good example of this. There are definitely some scary things in there (the pig's blood, her psychotic mother), but it's really just a very tragic story about a girl who really had no chance in life. 

• Love 11

Great call on Carrie, UYI. My favorite horror movies are the ones that strike a chord with me emotionally. Freaks is also effective, because it plays on our guilt of feeling latent disgust or fear over those with deformities. The Vanishing (the original, the remake can go skydiving without a parachute) packs a wallop not just because of its famous ending, but because it's about something that happens everyday, and how it's something we try to dismiss as happening to "other people". Cronenberg's The Fly, amidst the gross visuals, resonates with anyone watching a loved one succumb to a disease. 

• Love 2