Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

My UO, regarding Star Wars, my favourite is Return of the Jedi. I saw it when I was five, the first movie I ever saw in the cinema. Empire is better, true, but Jedi will always be my favourite.

• Love 3

I honestly think that Pinocchio has one of the best soundtracks of any Disney movie ever. "Hi Diddle Dee Dee", "I Got No Strings", "When You Wish Upon a Star"...all of them are perfect.

Love Pinocchio, and can I say that the Blue Fairy is one of the most unsung Disney heroines? I love the wisdom, poise, and confidence she projects. I used to want to be her, to wear that badass sparkly blue dress, carry a wand, and be the powerful person behind the scenes.

I think Pollyanna is the greatest live-action Disney movie ever, if only for its peerless direction, screenplay that is both heartfelt and intelligent, and, holy moly, that cast! Hayley Mills? Flawless, one of the best performances by a child actress I've ever seen. Jane Wyman? Never lovelier and more graceful. Karl Malden? Hey, he's never let me down before! Agnes Moorehead? A scene stealer as usual. Adolphe Menjou? Lovably eccentric... no, I'm serious, he is!

Speaking of live-action Disney films, Candleshoe is criminally underrated (it's been a while since I used that expression). I like it even better than Freaky Friday (the original and remake). Jodie Foster, Helen Hayes, and David friggin' Niven in the same movie?! Yes, please!!

It's kind of a dumb movie, but I gotta say, That Darn Cat! (the original, you know what the remake can go do) has one of the best theme songs to a live action Disney film I've ever heard (by Bobby Darin, no less!).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

I have a secret, shameful weakness for Bedknobs and Broomsticks. The Sword in the Stone for animated.

Those are UOs? The Sword in the Stone is pretty beloved, the last time I checked, as is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Yeah, the latter may not be as beloved as, say, Mary Poppins, but close enough.

I admit I never liked The Jungle Book (I don't like the dingy, scratchy animation, the songs grate my nerves, and I find myself missing Kipling's lyricism), and even the presence of Idris Elba won't compel me to see the remake.

Simon Pegg used to be funny, but now I find him tiresome and over-employed.

Everyone will stone me for this, but I'll chance it. *Deep breath*... I prefer the 1999 Annie to the 1982 version! I'm not saying the 1999 one is perfect; Rob Marshall has never been my favorite director, Daddy Warbucks is way too nice, and Miss Hannigan isn't threatening enough (which is odd, because Kathy Bates can play harridans like nobody's business), but you know what? Alicia Morton is a better singer than Aileen Quinn, doesn't say "leapin' lizards!" every two minutes, and doesn't set my teeth on edge with shrill attempts at cuteness. The remake is a hell lot shorter and doesn't feel nearly as bloated as the original (even as a kid, I always found the climax in the original a little unnecessary). I also appreciate that they actually cast someone who could sing as Grace, and best of all? "Hard Knock Life" is actually sung and performed by kids who genuinely seem pissed off about their lot in life, not a bunch of chipper acrobats Fosse-ing it up in a vaguely inappropriate manner. Have you ever actually paid attention to the lyrics to "Hard Knock Life"?

Empty belly life

Rotten smelly life

Full of sorrow life

No tomorrow life

"No tomorrow life"? That's a horrible thing for a kid to say! Those are the words of someone who has given up all hope! They shouldn't be giddily dancing around while singing about the desolate misery of their stolen childhoods! So, lecture me on my stupidity all you want, but I stand by my opinion.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

Those are UOs? The Sword in the Stone is pretty beloved, the last time I checked, as is Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Yeah, the latter may not be as beloved as, say, Mary Poppins, but close enough.

I admit I never liked The Jungle Book (I don't like the dingy, scratchy animation, the songs grate my nerves, and I find myself missing Kipling's lyricism), and even the presence of Idris Elba won't compel me to see the remake.

Simon Pegg used to be funny, but now I find him tiresome and over-employed.

Everyone will stone me for this, but I'll chance it. *Deep breath*... I prefer the 1999 Annie to the 1982 version! I'm not saying the 1999 one is perfect; Rob Marshall has never been my favorite director, Daddy Warbucks is way too nice, and Miss Hannigan isn't threatening enough (which is odd, because Kathy Bates can play harridans like nobody's business), but you know what? Alicia Morton is a better singer than Aileen Quinn, doesn't say "leapin' lizards!" every two minutes, and doesn't set my teeth on edge with shrill attempts at cuteness. The remake is a hell lot shorter and doesn't feel nearly as bloated as the original (even as a kid, I always found the climax in the original a little unnecessary). I also appreciate that they actually cast someone who could sing as Grace, and best of all? "Hard Knock Life" is actually sung and performed by kids who genuinely seem pissed off about their lot in life, not a bunch of chipper acrobats Fosse-ing it up in a vaguely inappropriate manner. Have you ever actually paid attention to the lyrics to "Hard Knock Life"?

Empty belly life

Rotten smelly life

Full of sorrow life

No tomorrow life

"No tomorrow life"? That's a horrible thing for a kid to say! Those are the words of someone who has given up all hope! They shouldn't be giddily dancing around while singing about the desolate misery of their stolen childhoods! So, lecture me on my stupidity all you want, but I stand by my opinion.

Bless you for this! I have nothing against the 80s Annie, but as 20-something I grew up LOVING the '99 Annie. Alicia Morton was great, plus Audra MacDonald, Victor Garber, Kathy Bates, Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming? How could anyone not love it!?

• Love 1

As long as it's in the news, here's my UO:

I have never had much desire to see any of the Star Wars movies, and to this day I have still never seen any of them and don't care much to, either (and I'll admit, the grumpy contrarian in me has long been put off by the rabid fanbase--it's the same reason I never got into the Harry Potter books/movies--my sister was such a fan when I was growing up that it put me off completely). I've softened somewhat in the last few years and may eventually force myself to watch them, but none of them are exactly at the top of my list of movies to watch.

**runs away as an angry mob comes after me with torches**

I'm pretty sure they'd be armed with lightsabers, not torches  ;-)

• Love 6

I don't think Marlon Brando was all that great an actor, and I certainly don't think he invented modern screen acting. I think Burt Lancaster and Robert Mitchum did.

I think Brando gave some great performances but he was very inconsistent after his first several years in movies. But regardless of his talent he was a very influential actor. 

• Love 2

My Star Wars UO:

I hate Yoda's philosophy "Do or do not do, there is no try". I have never agreed with this sentiment. In order to do something properly, you have to try until you succeed. Without "trying", there is no "doing". Yoda is an idiot. 

• Love 9

I think that what he was getting at is that by saying try, you set up the possibility of failure. You should believe that you can do it, whatever it is. However, I dislike Yoda for other reasons.

• Love 1

I thought he was trying to say that the framing of trying privileges the effort over the goal, sort of the jedi version of butthurt rugged individualists ranting about the everyone gets a trophy mindset. But then, Yoda was an attempt at an ancient alien muppet zen master from the guy who gave us Jar Jar.

• Love 1

I thought he was trying to say that the framing of trying privileges the effort over the goal, sort of the jedi version of butthurt rugged individualists ranting about the everyone gets a trophy mindset. But then, Yoda was an attempt at an ancient alien muppet zen master from the guy who gave us Jar Jar.

Well, now, that's hardly a fair comparison, is it? Jar Jar is to Yoda as Twilight is to The Princess Bride.

From the sounds of this thread, Yoda being the only Star Wars character I like might be an unpopular opinion. Then again I've only seen Episodes I and III so it's not like I've seen the best of what the series has to offer anyway.

From the sounds of this thread, Yoda being the only Star Wars character I like might be an unpopular opinion. Then again I've only seen Episodes I and III so it's not like I've seen the best of what the series has to offer anyway.

Watch the originals. Right now. It's like saying you've only read the rough drafts of your favourite author, or an amateur leage of your favourite sport.

• Love 1

Watch the originals. Right now. It's like saying you've only read the rough drafts of your favourite author, or an amateur leage of your favourite sport.

Agreed.  The originals may not be perfect but they are entertaining and, to my mind, hold up (although they hold up better if you watch the original original version rather than the "retouched" original version).

• Love 4

I have nothing against the 80s Annie, but as 20-something I grew up LOVING the '99 Annie. Alicia Morton was great, plus Audra MacDonald, Victor Garber, Kathy Bates, Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming?

The mere presence of Kristin Chenoweth is enough to make me hate it without ever having seen it.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Love 4

The mere presence of Kristin Chenoweth is enough to make me hate it without ever having seen it.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I'm the one who defended the 1999 version, but I will heartily agree with you on this one. Bernadette Peters is a class act with talent oozing out her pores, while Chenoweth and her tinny voice get on my last nerve.

• Love 3
My UO, regarding Star Wars, my favourite is Return of the Jedi. I saw it when I was five, the first movie I ever saw in the cinema. Empire is better, true, but Jedi will always be my favourite.

I love the mostly universally reviled Ewoks. I was their target demographic and at 8 years old bought right into them so Return is my favorite. I've never understood why Empire is supposed to be better. I find it boring and tend to doze when I rewatch them. 

• Love 3

I love the mostly universally reviled Ewoks. I was their target demographic and at 8 years old bought right into them so Return is my favorite. I've never understood why Empire is supposed to be better. I find it boring and tend to doze when I rewatch them. 

Oh totally.  Did you watch the Ewoks cartoon?

• Love 1

That was one awful, awful movie. It felt like they threw every family-of-origin trauma movie of the last thirty years in a Cuisinart and gave it to Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts to drink as a smoothie.

I have to be honest, August:Osage County is the first (only) thing I've ever seen Benedict Cumberbatch in and it makes me wonder why people think he is so attractive. 

Oh totally.  Did you watch the Ewoks cartoon?

No... I didn't know about that! But I do have the Ewok Adventure on DVD and I remember loving that one too. 

• Love 1

I have to be honest, August:Osage County is the first (only) thing I've ever seen Benedict Cumberbatch in and it makes me wonder why people think he is so attractive. 

No... I didn't know about that! But I do have the Ewok Adventure on DVD and I remember loving that one too. 

Benedict Cumberbatch is not, technically, "attractive."  If you see him in Sherlock you will (probably) see that he's appealing but generally speaking, no he's not attractive.

And yes (after confirming with IMDb that it wasn't a figment of imagination or trick of memory) there was an Ewok cartoon that lasted for one or two seasons.  Here's the opening.

We are the E-E-E-E-Eeeewoks!

• Love 1

I can see why people find him glamorous or compelling. My kid has a serious thing for him.

Personally, I think he looks like an inbred stick insect.

• Love 6

I think someone way upthread compared him to a praying mantis, and I cannot unsee it.  His voice is like butter, though, which is something I appreciate in general about certain male Brits. Not sure what it is about American male voice pitch, but it often sets my teeth on edge.   

• Love 4

"Blade runner": Yes, it was film noirish set in the future , and it did have a weather beaten poly ethnic look/vibe which was fresh and innovative at the time. however the actual plot/dialogue was downright stupid for long stretches and it never worked as a complete movie.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Yup I'm aware of the sequel, but the first film was a lot of smoke and mirror as far as I'm concerned. I admit it's hard to distinguish the theatrical version in my mind from later director cuts.

Edited by caracas1914

I think the movie is helped by the fact that these people were playing their real ages, and I thought the movie did a good job at playing the tension between no longer being a kid, but not really being ready for adulthood, and not being ready to let go of who you were when you were in college.

I honestly think this is why I haven't watched this movie since graduating from college two years ago. It's too real. I remember watching it when I was a senior in HS/freshman in college, and I thought, "No way!" Heh, yeah, right. 

The ewok is a pretty cool character in and of itself.  However, the concept that they would be the ones to save the galaxy from the Empire was so beyond anything that I loathed them.  That and the fact they were created so as to maximize toy sales.  

I think I may have to hang my head in shame for admitting this but - I actually really like Shia LaBeouf as an actor.  Normally, when an actor seems like a total douche in real life (as he does), I can't enjoy their acting, but for whatever reason, I've always really liked him in the movies I've seen him in (even in totally stupid ones like Disturbia), and I think he's pretty talented.

It's very similar to how I feel about James Franco - seems like a total douche in real life, but I can't help but enjoy him in movies.

• Love 3

I think I may have to hang my head in shame for admitting this but - I actually really like Shia LaBeouf as an actor.  Normally, when an actor seems like a total douche in real life (as he does), I can't enjoy their acting, but for whatever reason, I've always really liked him in the movies I've seen him in (even in totally stupid ones like Disturbia), and I think he's pretty talented.

It's very similar to how I feel about James Franco - seems like a total douche in real life, but I can't help but enjoy him in movies.

I'm not going to go so far as to say I like Shia, honestly he's always seemed like a mediocre actor who equates "yelling" with "acting" to me, but I will throw down that, amid the general awfulness that is Transformers 2, I love that when Shia broke his arm they just totally randomly and with no conceivable explanation, jump from him having a makeshift bandage to a full-on cast in the film.  The lack of concern for continuity or plausibility within the film is almost admirable.

Edited by dusang

And on this note: I hated Bridesmaids. HATED it. Saw the trailer and thought "fuck, no" but the overwhelmingly positive reviews made me relent (trailers can be misleading, right?). So much regret. I sat there in silence (bar ONE laugh), utterly mystified, while my fellow movie goers busted a gut around me.

I had the exact same reaction to Animal House.  Just too stupid.

• Love 2

I am kind of tired of fan complaints about "strong" women having romantic relationships/falling in love. I have no issue if the strong woman doesn't fall in love, but I feel like some fans think it automatically makes a character anti-feminist or weak because they have a love interest.

• Love 5

I don't care how unreasonable or illogical this makes me look, but  here it goes:

The casting of Ben Affleck as Batman has destroyed any desire I may have had to see this movie or any other Justice League movie, because it will have him playing Batman. A role that I loved Christian Bale in, yes, even with the horrid Batman voice. (They shoulda just dubbed in KevinFucking!Conroy's voice in for those scenes).

I don't like Affleck's acting, in that I don't think he's a good actor. So wooden. Flat. Just don't like him.

And this pisses me off because Batman is my numero Uno favorite hero.  And I really like Cavill. Hopefully, in the sequel to Man of Steel, it will just be him.

Snyder and his ilk can go SUCK IT as far as I'm concerned. Their casting choices post Man of Steel SUCK.

I am kind of tired of fan complaints about "strong" women having romantic relationships/falling in love. I have no issue if the strong woman doesn't fall in love, but I feel like some fans think it automatically makes a character anti-feminist or weak because they have a love interest.

I think for me the difference is if they HAVE a love interest (example: Katniss in Hunger Games) or if they ARE the love interest (example: Uhura in new Star Trek). The latter pisses me off, especially when it's the only damn female character of any substance around. Carol Marcus' boobs do not count.

• Love 4

Let me preface this by saying that I love many things Star Trek, and have seen the films up to the last Next Gen one.

The new Star Trek movies suck.  I'm particularly offended by the notion of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan.  BC is a good actor, but Ricardo Montalban was, is, and will always be the only Khan.

• Love 4

I think for me the difference is if they HAVE a love interest (example: Katniss in Hunger Games) or if they ARE the love interest (example: Uhura in new Star Trek). The latter pisses me off, especially when it's the only damn female character of any substance around. Carol Marcus' boobs do not count.

Agree. Katniss was an example I was thinking of. I don't know much about the new Star Trek admittedly, but that sounds annoying. I will say I don't also care if there is only one main female and she is romantically involved with someone, as long as the male characters also have romantic relationships. Like for example, Hermoine in Harry Potter.

I think for me the difference is if they HAVE a love interest (example: Katniss in Hunger Games) or if they ARE the love interest (example: Uhura in new Star Trek).

Good example. I would even go so far as the show the difference by saying that the latter could be exemplified with the changes made to Peeta from book to movie to make him into the role of love interest (you know, as oppose to just being a well rounded character.) There were a lot of comments about how useless Peeta seemed in the first movie and responses about how that was due to changes made from the book. I always wondered if it would have been as noticeable had the protagonist been male, like in most scifi/action movies, and the love interest been female.

Let me preface this by saying that I love many things Star Trek, and have seen the films up to the last Next Gen one.

The new Star Trek movies suck.  I'm particularly offended by the notion of Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan.  BC is a good actor, but Ricardo Montalban was, is, and will always be the only Khan.

I simply can't get over the fact Benedict Cumbersnatch was cast as Kahn. I can't forgive the dance JJ Abrahams or whatever his name is did when asked if Cumbersnatch was cast as Kahn. I can't stand that I was foolish enough to believe that Cumbersnatch wasn't Khan. When he revealed himself as Kahn, all I could do was roll my eyes.

There can be no peace between us, Cumbersnatch. That he tries to get himself cast in cool feature film possible? Can't stand him on my screen.

I agree with this, and I'll go you one better - I like it when female characters display softness and even uncertainty. Hell, even Sarah Connor had her doubts sometimes. That doesn't make her any less kick-ass.

I simply can't get over the fact Benedict Cumbersnatch was cast as Kahn. I can't forgive the dance JJ Abrahams or whatever his name is did when asked if Cumbersnatch was cast as Kahn. I can't stand that I was foolish enough to believe that Cumbersnatch wasn't Khan. When he revealed himself as Kahn, all I could do was roll my eyes.

UO, I guess - I don't care that Cabbagehead Boobyhatch was cast as Khan. Sure, he kinda looks like an annoyed grasshopper, but I think that he acquitted himself fairly admirably in the role. Look at it like this. They could have gotten R Pattz instead, and then he'd have ended up dissing the movie once it was done.

• Love 1

I agree with this, and I'll go you one better - I like it when female characters display softness and even uncertainty. Hell, even Sarah Connor had her doubts sometimes. That doesn't make her any less kick-ass.

Agreed. I would rather see nuance, development, and actual emotions in characters both female and male than perfect automatons.

• Love 5

I am not ashamed to be a woman who loves romance and love stories. They very rarely make them anymore, but to dismiss all of that as fluff and light just because it appeals to women drives me nuts. Does a movie being romantic preclude it from being good or worthwhile? I'll admit that they seem to have forgotten how to make decent romantic comedies and the ones that have come out in the last ten years have been awful, but that doesn't mean that the whole genre is worthless.

There were some great ones in the 80's and 90's (and of course going back much further, great classic ones in the 30's and 40's), and then they just started becoming shit- but I notice that now people diss the whole genre as being stupid by nature. That's just not true or there would never have been any good romantic comedies ever made.

• Love 6

Benedict Cumberbatch is not, technically, "attractive."  If you see him in Sherlock you will (probably) see that he's appealing but generally speaking, no he's not attractive.

And yes (after confirming with IMDb that it wasn't a figment of imagination or trick of memory) there was an Ewok cartoon that lasted for one or two seasons.  Here's the opening.

We are the E-E-E-E-Eeeewoks!

I didn't actually see the Star Wars movies till last year of so, but I remember watching and loving the Ewoks cartoon when I was a kid

I agree that I don't find Benedict Cumberbatch physically attractive (he's vaguely reptilian), but, mercy me, that voice! That, and the fact that he's able and willing to poke fun at his smoldering image, earn him points in my book, as evidenced here.

• Love 1

UO, I guess - I don't care that Cabbagehead Boobyhatch was cast as Khan. Sure, he kinda looks like an annoyed grasshopper, but I think that he acquitted himself fairly admirably in the role. Look at it like this. They could have gotten R Pattz instead, and then he'd have ended up dissing the movie once it was done.

I think what bothers me is less the acting job he did, and more that in a reboot where they made an effort to make the actors resemble the TOS actors, he was playing Khan Noonien Singh. In canon, Khan was definitely presented on the asian side of euro-asian. To me, it was kind of hard to look at Benedict Cumberbatch and see something other than extremely white. I grew up with canon, so that really tossed me out of the movie.

• Love 2

So... Ricardo Montalban?

Yup. Ricardo Montalban in dark makeup and a long black wig, identified as probably mostly sikh. Montalban wasn't asian himself, obviously, but it was the sixties, and hey, they could have hired a pasty british guy with pale blue eyes.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1