Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E16: ScoobyNatural

• Start Topic

Just now, flyinghigh said:

I do wish they had not mentioned Syria at all. So much is happening there - so much pain and suffering - better stay with  - Jerusalem was it? - from where Cas got the holy oil. My opinion of course. 

I'm with you on that one. I complained when they brought up Syria the first time :(.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, flyinghigh said:

I do wish they had not mentioned Syria at all. So much is happening there - so much pain and suffering - better stay with  - Jerusalem was it? - from where Cas got the holy oil. My opinion of course. 

I agree. I wish they hadn’t used Syria.

Bahrain claims to have the Tree of Life. I don’t think it bears fruit, but it is somewhat of a miracle tree that grows in the desert. I wish they had sent Cas to Bahrain instead.

(edited)
21 hours ago, catrox14 said:

ETA  Remember when Dean was turned into a dog? Were you outraged by that?

I wasn’t a particular fan of that episode. Also there’s a difference between someone becoming dog like due to an external influence such as a spell and someone stating that another person is a dog all the time. 

I can easily imagine the cries of outrage from yourself and other Dean fans had it been Sam or Cas who had degraded Dean by calling Dean a dog (and not in the horn dog sense but literally calling him a dog).

Edited by Wayward Son
5 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I can easily imagine the cries of outrage from yourself and other Dean fans had it been Sam or Cas who had degraded Dean by calling Dean a dog (and not in the horn dog sense but literally calling him a dog).

In My Bloody Valentine Sam likened Dean to a dog when Dean didn't want to go out for Valentine's Day. I think his exact words were "Really? It's when a dog doesn't eat that you know something's wrong." and then later in that episode they even had Dean refusing a burger. I just watched this episode, so maybe Sam taught that kind of an analogy to Dean. *shrugs* 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

In My Bloody Valentine Sam likened Dean to a dog when Dean didn't want to go out for Valentine's Day. I think his exact words were "Really? It's when a dog doesn't eat that you know something's wrong." and then later in that episode they even had Dean refusing a burger. I just watched this episode, so maybe Sam taught that kind of an analogy to Dean. *shrugs* 

True indeed! 

• Love 1

I personally think context matters. 

Dean was telling Sam they were like the Scooby gang, and Sam commented they didn't having a talking dog.  I felt like Dean was calling Cas the Scooby of their gang rather than a straight comparison to a dog, like in @Myrelle's example.  

Scooby is the heart of the gang and someone Dean said he'd take a bullet for.

In this case, it didn't feel or come across as an insult. 

• Love 10
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Fair point re Sam, but the fact remains Cas has never referred to Dean as a dog so it was an unprovoked attack. 

But Im not surprised, the remark was just Dean being his typical douchebag self and the actor who plays him has already admitted Dean’s a user who simply sees Castiel as a “useful tool”. 

Edited by Wayward Son
9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I do think, in this case, Dean did mean it as a sort of compliment since the joke was that it was a talking dog, likening Cass to Scooby who Dean loved and would take a bullet for. Which, in a way, Cass is very Scooby like: He's loyal and smart and gets into a lot of trouble unintentionally and many times is the smartest one in the room.

However, there are certain phrases that can set someone's teeth on edge and it doesn't matter the spirit in which it was intended, it will always be seen as an insult. I have a few of those types of phrases myself, perhaps being called a dog is a similar thing for you?

Here's a fun game: So, if the show is saying Cass is Scooby, who on Supernatural is Velma, Daphne, Fred and Shaggy? 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Here's a fun game: So, if the show is saying Cass is Scooby, who on Supernatural is Velma, Daphne, Fred and Shaggy? 

For me 

Sam is Velma: I’m not saying he’s a girl, but personality wise there are similarities there. They’re both the academics of the group, the nerds if you will and their academic mindset can make them a little closed off at times.

Dean is Fred: Both are the leaders of the group, headstrong and quick to jump into danger, brave and can be extremely exasperating to the others in the group. 

Jack is Scrappy: Young, impressionable and sometimes tries too hard to impress. 

I’ve no idea who to assign Daphne and Shaggy to though.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'd say

Velma= Sam for obvious reasons

Daphne= Alex.  The pretty face whose kind of there and is sometimes useful.  (This one is tough)

Fred= Dean.  Since he's the leader of the gang

Shaggy= Garth.  Lovable goof who is braver than he looks

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

For me 

Sam is Velma: I’m not saying he’s a girl, but personality wise there are similarities there. They’re both the academics of the group, the nerds if you will and their academic mindset can make them a little closed off at times.

Dean is Fred: Both are the leaders of the group, headstrong and quick to jump into danger, brave and can be extremely exasperating to the others in the group. 

Jack is Shaggy: Young, impressionable and sometimes tries too hard to impress. 

I’ve no idea who to assign Daphne and Shaggy to though.

I just realized I forgot to post my own list, but I had the similar problem of trying to find a Daphne and Shaggy--I like Jack as Shaggy, though, so I'm stealing it.

• Fred: Dean, of course, except Dean's plans are generally better than Fred's.
  • Velma: Sam, for obvious nerd reasons.
  • Shaggy: Jack, impressionable and even has a mop of hair that could be shaggy if styled differently. ;)
  • Daphne: I dunno, none of the current crop work for me, but Crowley maybe? He was pretty interested in Dean... . Nah, Crowley was too much his own man to be Daphne. 
7 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Shaggy= Garth.  Lovable goof who is braver than he looks

Oh, that works even better and opens up Jack to be Daphne, which also works to a certain degree!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DittyDotDot said:

I just realized I forgot to post my own list, but I had the similar problem of trying to find a Daphne and Shaggy--I like Jack as Shaggy, though, so I'm stealing it.

• Fred: Dean, of course, except Dean's plans are generally better than Fred's.
  • Velma: Sam, for obvious nerd reasons.
  • Shaggy: Jack, impressionable and even has a mop of hair that could be shaggy if styled differently. ;)
  • Daphne: I dunno, none of the current crop work for me, but Crowley maybe? He was pretty interested in Dean... . Nah, Crowley was too much his own man to be Daphne. 

Sorry I actually meant to say Jack was Scrappy Doo. I actually liked @ILoveReading‘s suggestion of Garth for Shaggy though. 

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Dean fans are not a monolith so I won't speak for them, just myself

You're free to have an opinion about what you THINK would be my opinion and you'd be wrong in this case re Dean.  I understand the insult intended when say, a person cheats repeatedly on someone and I have always disagreed with that because to me that's an insult to the dog since IMO dogs are  loyal, faithful, protective and smart. I am completely serious about that.

So if someone called Dean a talking dog, I would say, you're damn right he is.  As to Dog!Dean I was pissed about it because Dean was killed by hellhounds but Scooby Doo has always been Dean's favorite and he loved that dog.  So to me, Dean was comparing Cas to THE talking dog, who Dean loves.

I'm not telling you to like what Dean said. If you think it's an insult, that's your prerogative, but I think the show itself did not intend it as an insult.

• Love 7

I really don`t know a lot about Scooby Doo beyond the obvious assigning Fred as Dean and Velma as Sam. I can`t fit a Daphne anywhere.

One scene I really liked in the episode is when the Scooby Gang was all gung ho to grab the weapons from the trunk and Dean was like "that`s a Scooby no-no". He really wanted to preserve their ways and more importantly give them back confidence in their own ways of solving mysteries. Showing that not everyone needs to be upgraded in a Rambo-like fashion. 

What I didn`t understand on the other hand was this supposed a-ha moment of "Sam knows and likes Scooby-Doo, too" when he called out a villain they defeated. Dean and Sam grew up together, I`m sure they watched TV together. I reckon they would know if the other liked a TV show in their child days or not. It was a minor moment but I found it puzzling.      

• Love 1

Sorry I actually meant to say Jack was Scrappy Doo. I actually liked @ILoveReading‘s suggestion of Garth for Shaggy though. 

No worries, I actually changed Jack to Daphne and the more I think about it, that works for me. 

You know, I never really grew up with Scooby-Doo. I'm of the right age, but grew up in the middle of nowhere and TV options were very limited. I had seen a few episodes over the years at friends' houses, but it wasn't a staple by any means for me. My nieces really got into it when they were young, though, so I was reintroduced to the show through them as an adult. But, only the classic episodes, I don't know anything about Scrappy...hmm, maybe some research is needed? ;)

9 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

What I didn`t understand on the other hand was this supposed a-ha moment of "Sam knows and likes Scooby-Doo, too" when he called out a villain they defeated. Dean and Sam grew up together, I`m sure they watched TV together. I reckon they would know if the other liked a TV show in their child days or not. It was a minor moment but I found it puzzling.

I don't know, I know Sam and Dean were in pretty tight quarters in comparison, but I don't think any of my siblings could probably say what shows the others liked now that we're adults. We did watch some things together, but I couldn't tell you what cartoons my older brother liked and I doubt he could tell you what I liked either. 

Edited by DittyDotDot

Fair point re Sam, but the fact remains Cas has never referred to Dean as a dog so it was an unprovoked attack. 

He has referred to him as an ant, though.   And, not in a nice Scooby-Doo way, either.  And he's referred to Sam as an abomination.

• Love 3

My list of who is who in Scooby Gang

Dean = Fred and Daphne because Dean is the leader of the gang. He's brave, goes into the fight first, has perfect hair, and a can do attitude. (Oh Dean, did you really not see yourself in Fred. I think once Fred approved of Dean, Dean was happy.) Generally, Dean's plans are better than Fred's. As to the Daphne part, Dean is pretty, friendly, and gets hit on a lot himself...well he used to anyway.  I also see a bit of Velma in Dean as well because she is a skeptic.

Cas = Shaggy and Scooby. He's unusual and kind of in his own world most of the time. He's loyal, kind, loving and brave and tries to do the right thing, even if it goes sideways. And Cas didn't want to fight after he destroyed much of Heaven.

Sam = Velma for her booksmarts and that she is underestimated and brave. Her skepticism is the only aspect that I don't see in Sam but I see that in Dean.

Sorry, Jack doesn't count in my list.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He has referred to him as an ant, though.   And, not in a nice Scooby-Doo way, either.  And he's referred to Sam as an abomination.

When did he refer to Dean as an ant? I’m not disagreeing he did I just can’t remember and when it happens matters IMO particularly when discussing Cas who starts off quite alien and unaware of what is and isn’t appropriate.

Yes, he was wrong to call Sam an abomination and I’ve said that in the past. Although, to be fair, that was said back in season 5 when he and Sam still weren’t particularly close and Castiel was still quite ignorant over human customs. So while it was wrong of him to call Sam an abomination I wouldn’t count it as bad as it would be if he called him an abomination now.

Edited by Wayward Son
Just now, Wayward Son said:

Blasphemy! He’s Cas’ adopted father! He’s totally a part of the gang!  

I based my list on TFW 1.0 who were in this episode. I figured that was obvious.

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Blasphemy! He’s Cas’ adopted father! He’s totally a part of the gang!  

Don't you mean he's Cas' foster son?

12 hours ago, takalotti said:

No analysis on Real!Cas' tie vs. Animated!Cas' tie?

Mistake? I'm thinking maybe they went with Cas' tie in s12 before he was killed and resurrected and didn't think to change it to the new tie.

Since Dean loves and adores Scooby Doo and would take a bullet for him, putting Cas in the role of "Scooby Doo" himself is not an insult IMO.  The exact words were "kinda like a dog" and the uncharitable reading is that Cas is more of a pet than an person.  But in context, Cas is the supernatural element in the team (a talking dog is a supernatural phenomenon no matter what Velma says).  And he's loyal, like Scooby is loyal.  And yes, dogs are loyal.  

But I just don't see it as an actual insult to Cas.  Not in context.  And I don't think it was intended as an insult.  However, I appreciate mileage varies and if someone feels it's an insult, that's their choice.  The only part I disagree with is that it was the belief that it was intended by the writers as an insult.  First off, Cas is IN the episode.  He didn't have to be.  It was only because he was in the episode that we knew Cas was alive in S13.  They could have chosen to keep him out to protect the surprise in The Big Empty.  Second, he's paired with the titular character (Scooby Doo).  Third, Cas gets a big heroic moment diving out a window to save Shaggy and Scooby.  All these things suggest love and affection for Cas.  Not an attitude that he's unworthy.  Now that's the meta read.  IN context, Dean was near suicidal after Cas' death.  And although traumatized by his mother's torture in the AU, Dean recovered substantially JUST from Cas' return.  Any teasing Dean does to Cas is in the same vein as his interactions with Sam. Like his comment in the previous episode about Disney Princess hair, or in this epsiode about getting the stick outta Sam's butt.

Bottom line: In isolation, I can see it as an insult.  In context, it's most likely a reasonable comparison and at worse a brotherly jab IMO.  YMMV. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, SueB said:

The exact words were "kinda like a dog

FWIW, the exact words were "Cas is kind of a like a talking dog". That's why it's not the same as Dean calling him a dog and it's not an insult if you look at the entire exchange between Dean and Sam, who others have already mentioned. 

Of course by the end of the episode, Cas is telling Dean he is not a talking dog when Dean mimics Scooby. Am I to presume now that Cas thinks Dean isn't worthy of being a talking dog like Scooby or is it more that Cas is being his literal self and pointing out that Dean is, in fact, not a talking dog (seriously show, Dean was a talking dog, such a missed opportunity). 

So we're stuck in a cartoon with a talking dog.

Not just any talking dog, the talking dog. The greatest talking dog in history. Now come on! Dibs on Daphne. [ Songs ends ]

Jeepers! Those sure were some super groovy tunes.

Oh, man. This is like a dream come true. [ Scoobies speak indistinctly ]

Your dream is to hang out with the Scooby Gang? [ Laughter ]

Sam, growing up on the road, no matter where Dad dragged us, no matter what we did, there was always a TV. And you know what was always on that TV? Scooby and the gang. These guys, they're our friggin' role models, man. Except Fred. He's a wad.

What?

Just think about it -- we do the same thing. We go to spooky places, we solve mysteries, we fight ghosts.

Yeah, except our ghosts don't wear masks, and we don't have a talking dog.

I don't know. I mean, Cass is kind of like a talking dog.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=supernatural&episode=s13e16

Everything about Dean's words about the Scooby gang are nothing but fondness of his memories of the Scooby Gang. And IMO, the look on Dean's face more than showed fondness.  There was nothing mean or nasty about Dean's remark taking it all in the proper context.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 6

Also when Cas comes into the bunker and is looking for Sam and Dean, he goes right to the fortress of Deanitude. 

That means he had to know it was there.  Which means he was sharing it with Cas before he ever told Sam of its existence.

• Love 5

@catrox14 @SueB

I’ve rewatched the episode and decided to retract my complaint and take it as a compliment rather than an insult :)

3 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Also when Cas comes into the bunker and is looking for Sam and Dean, he goes right to the fortress of Deanitude. 

That means he had to know it was there.  Which means he was sharing it with Cas before he ever told Sam of its existence.

I’m fairly certain it’s impossible for this to be the case. Hadn’t Cas just returned from weeks in Syria and Dean only received the tv and the idea for the fortress of Deanitude in the opener that took place a day or two before the ScoobyNatural adventure? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

@catrox14 @SueB

I’ve rewatched the episode and decided to retract my complaint and take it as a compliment rather than an insult :)

I’m fairly certain it’s impossible for this to be the case. Hadn’t Cas just returned from weeks in Syria and Dean only received the tv and the idea for the fortress of Deanitude in the opener that took place a day or two before the ScoobyNatural adventure? 

I had gotten the impression that Dean had been working on it for awhile, and when he got the TV he decided the room was ready and decide to show Sam.

So even if they weren't watching TV, it possible Dean told Cas he was working on creating the room.

• Love 4

I think Cas was just looking for the boys, and followed the sound of their voices to Dean's man cave.  I guess we'll need to wait and see if that room is ever referenced again in the show.  I hope it is.  I like the idea of the boys kicking back and watching a movie or a game together.  And by boys, I mean all three, Dean, Sam and Cas.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I think Dean was using the Deancave before he got the Big Screen TV. He said the TV was the piece de resistance, so I figured it had to take him some time to gather all the different things in the room. Sam didn't help him since he didn't know about it. Who else would have helped him? I mean I don't think he's strong enough to carry a jukebox and a foosball table by himself. That for me puts Cas on the top of the list for who helped him. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sam didn't help him since he didn't know about it. Who else would have helped him? I mean I don't think he's strong enough to carry a jukebox and a foosball table by himself. That for me puts Cas on the top of the list for who helped him. 

Now that I think about it, Dean must have taken the TV into the Fortress of Deanitude himself too because Sam clearly didn't help him put it in that room or he would've already seen it. So, maybe Dean has a hand truck or something in the garage he used to schlep all these things into and around the bunker? 

I too thought Cass just followed the sound of their voices on the TV. He seemed slightly confused as to what he'd just walked into, but that just could've been his confusion of seeing Sam and Dean as cartoons. 

ETA: The Foosball table could've been assembled in the room? I don't think they're very heavy--not like a pool table--but it would've been awkward for Dean to have moved a fully-assembled one in there himself.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DittyDotDot said:

Now that I think about it, Dean must have taken the TV into the Fortress of Deanitude himself too because Sam clearly didn't help him put it in that room or he would've already seen it. So, maybe Dean has a hand truck or something in the garage he used to schlep all these things into and around the bunker? 

I could see him taking the TV into the room alone with a hand truck. I can't see him taking a foosball table or a jukebox alone even with a hand truck or a dollie.  Unless he's just a lot stronger than I give him credit.

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I could see him taking the TV into the room alone with a hand truck. I can't see him taking a foosball table or a jukebox alone even with a hand truck or a dollie.  Unless he's just a lot stronger than I give him credit.

Sorry, I did an edit...the Foosball table could've been assembled in the room. The jutebox, I don't know, I bet you could get one on a hand truck. I once moved a dryer by myself with a hand truck and a ramp. 

4 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Sorry, I did an edit...the Foosball table could've been assembled in the room. The jutebox, I don't know, I bet you could get one on a hand truck. I once moved a dryer by myself with a hand truck and a ramp. 

I don't think dryers are as heavy as a juke box. But I don't know really.  I still think Cas knew about the Deancave whether or not he was helping him put stuff in there.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't think dryers are as heavy as a juke box. But I don't know really.  I still think Cas knew about the Deancave whether or not he was helping him put stuff in there.

I just kind think it's cuter if Dean was working on this all on his own and waiting to unveil it until it was finished. I think he would've been just as excited to show Cass the finished product as he was to show Sam. 

Of course, I don't think the writers considered the logistics of this all, but I was just running down options to see if it was possible Dean did it on his own. And I think it is. The only thing that stumped me for a minute was the TV because Sam helped him load it in Baby, so you'd think he would've helped him unload it. But, Dean could've told him they'd do it later or something.

13 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I just kind think it's cuter if Dean was working on this all on his own and waiting to unveil it until it was finished. I think he would've been just as excited to show Cass the finished product as he was to show Sam. 

I get that.

Assuming Cas didn't help Dean from the get go on the Deancave, my headcanon is that Cas discovered the room during one of his nightly walkabouts the Bunker since he doesn't sleep. So he asked Dean about it and Dean had to tell him and made him promise to not tell Sam until it was ready.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Come on, guys.  The MOL bunker obviously has books in it with spells for moving heavy objects.

Well, sure, but I just don't see Dean using spells. I think it's something he would do himself given how proud he was of it all. But, yeah, he could've used spells, too.

However, how many times have I said that logic and reason do not belong here?! ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Come on, guys.  The MOL bunker obviously has books in it with spells for moving heavy objects.

LOL.  But seriously when you order or buy large items, chances are they deliver them to your house.  

3 minutes ago, Reganne said:

LOL.  But seriously when you order or buy large items, chances are they deliver them to your house.  

I'm pretty sure Dean didn't order these delivered to the secret lair. Yes, I know everyone supernatural knows where it is but I don't think Dean's going to divulge it to random delivery services.

• Love 1

I think Dean worked on the room by himself.  If he and Cas had been putting it together, I think he'd have mentioned that to Sam when he unveiled it.  It wouldn't have been a secret.  And Cas hasn't exactly been around the bunker a lot lately to spend time building a man cave.  I think we're supposed to get a chuckle out of the idea of the room, but not look at the logistics too closely.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

If he and Cas had been putting it together, I think he'd have mentioned that to Sam when he unveiled it.  It wouldn't have been a secret.  An

He could have shown Sam before he did if he wanted to do that. It was a surprise. (Or he was putting off Sam being the wet blanket that he was LOL. I'm mostly kidding about that).

• Love 1

I would say it was supposed to be a surprise.  But mainly it was a plot device to get the boys sucked into Scooby world.  What I meant in my last post was that keeping the fact that Cas had helped Dean with the room  a secret wouldn't have been necessary.  Sam asked him point blank how he found the time to do it, so that would have been a perfectly natural time to say that he and Cas had been working on it.  I think if Cas had been a part of the making of the room, they'd have said that, but that's just me.  

Edited by MysteryGuest
For clarity
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

Sam asked him point blank how he found the time to do it, so that would have been a perfectly natural time to say that he and Cas had been working on it.  I think if Cas had been a part of the making of the room, they'd have said that, but that's just m

Sam didn't ask him who helped him, he just asked how he had the time to do it. Why would Cas' involvement been addressed at that point? Cas involvement wouldn't have changed the amount of time it took.  For all we know Dean's been building that nest for like years now LOL

Hmm...This does raise a question. Can Cas move things around with his mind? Didn't he used to be able to do that? Is that a wing thing? Am I confused?

18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm pretty sure Dean didn't order these delivered to the secret lair. Yes, I know everyone supernatural knows where it is but I don't think Dean's going to divulge it to random delivery services.

That's the thing though, the bunker hasn't been secret for a long time.  All their enemies already know about it's existence and where to find them... including Lucifer and Ketch.

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sam didn't ask him who helped him, he just asked how he had the time to do it. Why would Cas' involvement been addressed at that point? Cas involvement wouldn't have changed the amount of time it took.  For all we know Dean's been building that nest for like years now LOL

Hmm...This does raise a question. Can Cas move things around with his mind? Didn't he used to be able to do that? Is that a wing thing? Am I confused?

I think Dean would have mentioned it at that point though if Cas had of helped him.

5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sam didn't ask him who helped him, he just asked how he had the time to do it. Why would Cas' involvement been addressed at that point?

No, he didn't ask specifically if someone helped him, but when asked how he found the time, saying something like "I had help" would have been a pretty natural response.  I'm not sure we'll ever know the answer, so hooray for head canon!

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Reganne said:

Well, how would that work.  I don't think the bunker has an actual address.  

One thing that you had mentioned before, Catrox, was your concern about the optics of 40 year old Dean hitting on a teenager.  When watching the episode, I couldn't help but think about that, but I think they made Dean look generic in age, and I swear Daphne looked older.  She didn't look like any teenager I've ever seen.  I haven't seen an episode of Scooby in quite a while to compare, but she just looked different to me.  So they probably had the same concerns you did about how things would look.  In the episode, they all seemed of the same age, I think.