Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E16: ScoobyNatural

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

Baby vs. the Mystery Machine was classic. I'm glad they drew her into the episode.

I loved how Sam asked how the car got int he cartoon and Dean said the keys were in his pocket, like that was perfectly reasonable.

31 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

My only complaint is the animated Dean didn't look like Dean, for me.  Sam, probably because of the hair, looked like Sam, but Dean just looked generic.  Still, I loved it.  I had to remind hubs that Supernatural likes to toss in a lighter episode when there has been a run of darkness and gloom for awhile, kind of relieves the stress level a bit to have a laugh and see the brothers be brothers.  He's all "What about Cass?  What about Mary? (I DON'T CARE!) What about Michael etc. etc etc.".  

Loved the man cave!

I don't really care about most of that stuff anyway.  for the last few seasons, at least, I've been all about the MOTWs.

• Love 2

Jinkies indeed!

Well, that was fun. I don't think it matters if you're a Scooby fan or not as I can't say I'm a fan particularly, but really enjoyed this. I think they found a perfect balance between the two shows and got in an old fashioned ghost hunt too boot. What more can you ask for? It was a fun break from all the taking-themselves-far-too-seriously they've done lately. 

Kudos to both Scooby Doo and Supernatural teams!! They really pulled out a win here.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 11

Back with full thoughts. I really loved this episode. It was hilarious but, also on the nose.

The first part reminded me a bit of that very old TV Series Friday the 13th, where two people had to track down all the cursed objects their relative sold in his pawn shop before the stuff killed people. The rest of the episode was plain old Scooby love. 

I was amazed at how much sense Scoobynatural made. Listening to Jared's comments about the Featurette, there is a lot in common between Scooby-Doo and Supernatural; a crossover seems quite perfect.

I loved Dean in this episode, he had the best reactions and lines. The comment about Cas being like a dog and his comment about taking a bullet for Scooby were great.

I also enjoyed the play of Dean trying to get Daphne while Velma was crushing on Sam to be perfect.

As far as Fun Dean versus Party Pooper Sam, I think that's always been their way. They tend to react to each other, the more excited/fun Dean seems to get about a case the more Sam feels the need to play Dad and put the brakes on. I always took it as their way of watching out for each other. 

All in all, a fantastic episode that I will watch again.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I also enjoyed the play of Dean trying to get Daphne while Velma was crushing on Sam to be perfect.

I also loved that.  I've seen some complaining about Sam being the one that got kissed, but if you're going to go the route with one of them crushing and the other being crushed on, it had to be this way in this situation.  It was already canon that Dean had a thing for Daphne.  I suppose they could have had Sam going all gaga for Velma, and neither one of them "getting the girl."  But, there was no way Dean was going to get Daphne.  She's Fred's girlfriend.

• Love 5

I wanted to like it, but it was mostly forgettable to me-predictable and underwhelming and par for the course for Dabb and co.

Some cute Dean moments made it a worthwhile one time watch, though.

I am a huge Scooby doo fan, and while this one did little for me, I knew that the present day general fandom would love it.

Best part was Dean in that night shirt. Too. Cute.

Glad he got to give the Scooby gang the speech, and I did LOL when he slapped Sam.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BoxManLocke said:

I could have said I was disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to attach the ep to the main plot (Jack or Gabriel theoretically could have had the power to send the brothers to scooby land)

They wrote and recorded the dialog a year ago, I don't think they knew enough about what was happening in S13 yet to be able to do this. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I’m ten minutes in and what thehell! 

“Cas is like a talking dog” 

Bugger off Dean! And people wonder why I consider Dean a crappy friend to Cas. Calling someone a dog... nice to know what you really think of him Dean ugh. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Best part was Dean in that night shirt. Too. Cute.

I just love in general when Dean totally gets into whatever situation he's in. Like in Folsom Prison Blues, Hollywood Babylon, to a lesser degree Changing Channels.  He's just such a "go with the flow" kind of guy in some ways (not so much in others).

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I’m ten minutes in and what thehell! 

“Cas is like a talking dog” 

Bugger off Dean! And people wonder why I consider Dean a crappy friend to Cas. Calling someone a dog... nice to know what you really think of him Dean ugh. 

Dogs are loyal and man's best friend. Dean says he would take a bullet for that talking dog.  Dean has proven he would take a bullet for Cas and just last season would not use the angel be gone because it risked killing Cas.

Dean is the best friend Cas has ever had and has put up with Cas' betrayals time and again.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Dogs are loyal and man's best friend. Dean says he would take a bullet for that talking dog.  Dean has proven he would take a bullet for Cas and just last season would not use the angel be gone because it risked killing Cas.

Dean is the best friend Cas has ever had and has put up with Cas' betrayals time and again.

And yet has such a low opinion of Cas that he thinks he’s a dog. Calling someone a dog is not a compliment. 

Just now, Wayward Son said:

And yet has such a low opinion of Cas that he thinks he’s a dog. Calling someone a dog is not a compliment. 

He didn't call him a dog.  He said he's kind of like a talking dog. Different contexts.  Maybe when you're done watching the episode you'll see things differently about how the episode handles the talking dog stuff.

Seriously.  I know you look for any reason to hate on Dean but this one is not what it seems. 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Yeah, but it was a joke. I think we've seen ample evidence in this season alone that Dean sincerely loves Cas and sees him as a member of his family. 

And in the clear plus column for Cas: apparently, he not only completed his task in Syria, he took out a bunch of djinn in order to do it. Wish we'd seen it on-screen (in another episode), but I'll appreciate anytime the show remembers that Cas is, actually, a centuries old warrior. If they'll do that, I'll give them the talking dog jab :)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, companionenvy said:

nd in the clear plus column for Cas: apparently, he not only completed his task in Syria, he took out a bunch of djinn in order to do it

And married a queen apparently...LOL

What I would rather see is how Cas got to Syria since he can't teleport. I want to see how he got through customs. How did he get the forbidden fruit back through customs in the US?  I have so many questions on the travel alone!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What I would rather see is how Cas got to Syria since he can't teleport. I want to see how he got through customs. How did he get the forbidden fruit back through customs in the US?  I have so many questions on the travel alone!

I still think he went invisible.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

But how? I thought the invisibility was because he can teleport like a wings thing?

I don't think invisibility and teleporting are connected.  We have seen Cas go invisible while staying in the same place.  Most notably in The Man Who Would Be King, but also in Hunteri Heroici.

Also, stupid though it may be, we know that reapers are angels.  They continue to be able to be invisible. Of course, they also appear to be able to get around much quicker than your wingless angel, so perhaps I shouldn't use them as an example.

So, while I can't think of any specific incidences of angel invisibility post season 9, we have seen them use other powers that don't involve teleporting.  Gad brought Charlie back to life in Slumber Party.  Cas healed Shaggy's broken arm last night, plus he healed Dean in All Along the Watchtower.  On the other hand, Sam and Dean didn't even think to ask Cas to resurrect Charlie in Dark Dynasty, so it's unclear what powers are still retained by what angels after the fall.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't think invisibility and teleporting are connected.  We have seen Cas go invisible while staying in the same place.  Most notably in The Man Who Would Be King, but also in Hunteri Heroici.

Sorry let me clarify. I wasn't trying to say that teleportation is how he's invisible. I'm saying I think the wings allow invisibility as a separate function than the teleportation. I'm pretty sure it's the grace that allows him to heal people.

Edited by catrox14
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry let me clarify. I wasn't trying to say that teleportation is how he's invisible. I'm saying I think the wings allow invisibility as a separate function than the teleportation. I'm pretty sure it's the grace that allows him to heal people.

Well, I don't think they've said either way what allows angels to be invisible, so until they straight up tell me that angels can't become invisible because they have no wings, I'm sticking with my theory.

• Love 1

I’ve watched the episode and there were two things I didn’t like 

- Dean degrading Cas by calling him a dog.

- Misha’s acting in the live Cas scene. It felt off to me. I’m not sure if he was having a bad day, couldn’t focus due to his excitement about the whole thing, or purposely exagerrated things to match the cartoon nature of the episode. His acting just felt very forced and awkward to me and I rarely have complaints about Misha’s acting. 

Other than that I loved the episode though! The animation was excellent, I loved the contrast between the Innocence of the Scooby gang and the Wincester’s (boys don’t sleep in the same room as girls silly), the Scooby theme tune sequence was wonderful and such a special moment and of course I loved the Scooby equivalent of Cas’ Big Damn Hero moment! Kudos to everyone involved.  

10 hours ago, Dobian said:

Having grown up with Scooby Doo, this was all kinds of awesome.  That's still the same guy voicing Fred after all these years, sounds like.  Loved all the classic Scoobyisms.  Jinkies!

I grew up with Scooby Doo too so I loved it.  I didn't think I would.  I thought that it was going to be so stupid, but it's just proven to me how much I miss the lighter, funnier episodes.  I really wish they'd scrap all the big arcs and go back to cases-of-the week and do more of the funner episodes. 

You are right, @DobianFrank Welker did voice Fred quite a bit back in the day.  He sounded different to me, but that's probably due to how long it's been since I've watched a Scooby episode and probably his aging as well.  The others, though didn't sound like the originals to me at all.  I got an essence of the original voices, but they were way off to me.  Actually, I was so certain I recognized the voices that it was slightly distracting.  I recognized Matthew Lilliard as doing Shaggy pretty quickly, probably because my kids loved that Scooby Doo movie he played Shaggy in.  I also recognized Velma's voice actor as an actor I knew, but couldn't place her.  I had to look it up.  Velma was voiced by Kate Micucci. Now I can't unhear her lol.  But, that didn't take away my overall enjoyment.  

• Love 4

I'm not over-the-moon in love with this episode, but it was all in good fun, and I'm not going to say anything bad about it. I'm glad they did it and love that it's made so many people happy.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

Can someone explain to me how Jensen manages to make Dean look like a little boy in this pic

I don't know if Jensen was sitting on the car and rehearsing something in his mind but he sure looks like a childlike Dean there to me vs Jensen.

• Love 3

Watched "Mystery Mash-Up: The Making of Scoobynatural".  It was really great to see the creative team behind the show.  I wish we had seen the actors who play the Scooby gang. Bits I picked up that feel relevant:
- They intended the boys to be more "animated" in action, because they were animated.  Like a byproduct of the transformation. But they didn't need direction to do that, J2M just went there naturally.
- Even though they were animated, they had more realism to their character features than the Scooby gang.  And when they showed them in comparison, you can see it.  More details in the faces and clothes.
- Animator on the boys: Jared was about his nose, facial expressions and hair, Cas about his mop of hair when it's up, Dean and his "full pouty lips" and classic handsom guy face.
- Jeremy Adams was the one of the comics writing pair who is the big Supernatural fan.  I think they didn't have to do too much to the script cause this guy KNEW our boys.
- Phil S. is responsible for the Yellow Fever yell.
- The boys had SUCH a great time. They made this episode without a lick of real animation.  Such imagination.  It worked out really well.

Other moments I noticed and wanted to point out:
- I LOVED when Shaggy, Scooby, and Cas are walking and the ghost gets in line and walks like them.  CLASSIC Scooby humor.
- Jensen pointing out how Dean adapts so easily to wherever they are at.

• Love 9

I'll give it a 9 out of 10 on first watch...maybe adjust up later.  Great episode, just a shade below the best of the meta.  Dean with his love of Scooby and vowing to protect him was awesome,  Cas great chemistry with his deadpan with the two cowards Scooby+Shaggy, Dean with his son of a bitch after the innocent proclamations of the Scooby gang was priceless, Cas maybe married to a djinn!  Sam and Cas's reactions to Dean's Scooby Doo shout was a perfect touch.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 4

I have to say I knew the episode was going to be a classic from the first scene.  Whenever you have the boys kicking the crap out of an evil stuffed animal, it always works for me.  Sort of reminded me of the depressed giant Teddy Bear in the wishing fountain episode.  Btw was the Satoski's beer sign in the bunker the same beer name that Chuck had in his bar that he showed Metatron?   

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

I have to say I knew the episode was going to be a classic from the first scene.  Whenever you have the boys kicking the crap out of an evil stuffed animal, it always works for me.  Sort of reminded me of the depressed giant Teddy Bear in the wishing fountain episode.  Btw was the Satoski's beer sign in the bunker the same beer name that Chuck had in his bar that he showed Metatron?   

while watching the first scene, I thought it was going to be one of those things where they were showing ht end first.  I thought the Scooby monster was going to have followed hem out of ht eTV.

• Love 1

Well, I really enjoyed this episode; it was so much fun to watch. I loved Dean's enthusiasm at everything, Sam's annoyance at the absurdity of it all and the visual of Cas running from the ghost with both Shaggy and Scooby in his arms was hilarious. I'll definitely give this one a rewatch or two. 

4 hours ago, SueB said:

I LOVED when Shaggy, Scooby, and Cas are walking and the ghost gets in line and walks like them.  CLASSIC Scooby humor.

Yes! I loved that!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just love in general when Dean totally gets into whatever situation he's in. Like in Folsom Prison Blues, Hollywood Babylon, to a lesser degree Changing Channels.  He's just such a "go with the flow" kind of guy in some ways (not so much in others).

Me too!... Purgatory, the Bad Place, in foster care....

10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Back with full thoughts. I really loved this episode. It was hilarious but, also on the nose.

The first part reminded me a bit of that very old TV Series Friday the 13th, where two people had to track down all the cursed objects their relative sold in his pawn shop before the stuff killed people. The rest of the episode was plain old Scooby love. 

I was amazed at how much sense Scoobynatural made. Listening to Jared's comments about the Featurette, there is a lot in common between Scooby-Doo and Supernatural; a crossover seems quite perfect.

I loved Dean in this episode, he had the best reactions and lines. The comment about Cas being like a dog and his comment about taking a bullet for Scooby were great.

As far as Fun Dean versus Party Pooper Sam, I think that's always been their way. They tend to react to each other, the more excited/fun Dean seems to get about a case the more Sam feels the need to play Dad and put the brakes on. I always took it as their way of watching out for each other. 

All in all, a fantastic episode that I will watch again.

I loved Friday the 13th the TV series.  It would make an excellent reboot if done correctly... Winchester it up or some such.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That was great!

Dean's giddiness with everything was awesome! I also enjoyed Sam's nitpicking: " where did he get coconuts?", "there are no words on this newspaper!", "do they always walk away from dead bodies?" 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 15
16 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Dean's giddiness with everything was awesome! I also enjoyed Sam's nitpicking: " where did he get coconuts?", "there are no words on this newspaper!", "do they always walk away from dead bodies?" 

I legit LOL'd at "There are no words on this newspaper!" He was so indignant about it, too, which made it even more funny to me. 

I was listening to some reactions to the episode and you could hear Dean be Scooby Doo and I legit forgot it was Dean/Jensen voicing that moment. He nailed it.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I legit LOL'd at "There are no words on this newspaper!" He was so indignant about it, too, which made it even more funny to me. 

That's exactly what cracked me up about it :)

• Love 4

Watched it again without commercials and enjoyed it so much more.  I swear I must have zoned out last night because I missed quite a bit of the dialogue.  Loved when they showed the gang what's in Baby's trunk.  They really did do an excellent job of blending the two shows.  I'm not sure how I feel about the Mystery Machine beating Baby, but I guess I'll have to deal.  

I do agree that the acting in the live-action scenes seemed almost cartoonish, but I have no doubt that was by design.  I'm glad they had fun with the episode.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

You know that was the episode I would have rather seen.  Cas in Syria obtaining the second ingredient for the spell.  Dodging bullets and claiming he doesn't have any fruit at the border.

11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 3

A top notch episode for me!!

Scooby Doo and SPN worlds blended perfectly. It was like Scooby Doo world was the infancy version of SPN. 

Animation, voices, action sequences - everything great - and I am definitely not going to nit pick. After a long time I watched an episode which was soooooo much better than whatever is happening at present - with Lucifer, Mary and the rest. Yup - really needed this light hearted episode.

And I just loved reading so many positive comments here!! 

Great going ! 

Oh one thing - Mystery machine and Baby need a rematch. No one - not even Scooby gang can leave our baby biting dust!! (INDIGNATION)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, catrox14 said:

hat I would rather see is how Cas got to Syria since he can't teleport. I want to see how he got through customs. How did he get the forbidden fruit back through customs in the US?  I have so many questions on the travel alone!

I do wish they had not mentioned Syria at all. So much is happening there - so much pain and suffering - better stay with  - Jerusalem was it? - from where Cas got the holy oil. My opinion of course. 

• Love 3