Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Tap That App

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

This was sort of my takeaway too. I'm still basically on her side, but this week it seemed like we could really see her legs flailing to keep her above water -- the stereotyping issue, while very legitimate, seemed to be another disjointed thing heaped on top of her argument. The first two episodes she had a simple thesis and supporting argument. This week she tried to throw everything at the wall so she could win, and very little of it made much sense to me. 

And while I'm thrilled to see unapologetic dramatics vs Rupaul's Best Friends Race of season nine (where many of the queens came across as smug and sanctimonious imo), it's not fun drag queen bitchiness like we saw a lot in early seasons. While I'm mostly into Vixen's confrontational nature, she's just good at arguing, not shade or reading. Bianca she ain't. If this trend continues, it's going to teeter into Ink Master territory where there's obligatory shouting matches per episode. No thanks.

Amen. In Untucked when Cracker was trying to ask Vixen if she could respond at a "5 instead of a 10" and Vixen just kept interrupting like NO I GO AT A 10 ALL THE TIME AND I REFUSE TO CHANGE. Like....does Vixen have some kind of social disorder? This is not normal, to claim that you have to respond with extreme anger to every perceived injustice or snide comment. Should Aquaria be starting shit she can't finish? Of course not. But to go even farther and flat-out refuse to respond rationally in an argument, that's where Vixen lost me.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

If this trend continues, it's going to teeter into Ink Master territory where there's obligatory shouting matches per episode. No thanks.

Indeed! I watch both shows the same way, automatically fast-forwarding through all offstage scenes. If it's not part of a challenge, I don't see it. Watch Untucked? Just the thought makes me cringe.

But even in my expurgated version, Miss Vixen seems to go out of her way to be confrontational. Not in a shady or gossipy or snarky way, but deliberately mean as a preemptive or defensive tactic.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree Vixen is very confrontational, but I did appreciate that she called out an issue that has been around for the ages.  Aquaria was being a bitch and she couldn’t take the clap back and turned on the waterworks. Also based on what Dusty said, Aquaria is that way outside the show. Personally I was glad to see her entitled attitude take some zingers.

As for Vixen I think her personality is a defense mechanism.  I don’t think she was born that way, life experience probably made her that way. She gives me the vibe as someone who been through some s**t and now has a extra hard exterior and purposefully keeps people away. Just my 0.02 cents, if she sticks around we may find out. 

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 6

I'm no fan of Aquaria, but I found The Vixen to be completely unbearable.

Yes, Aquaria made a crack about you winning with a borrowed wig. If you want to make a huge deal about it, and continue harassing her in an over-the-top way, then go for it. She's annoying.

But if you choose to be that hostile, you have to own it. Period. The whole "I'm not angry or a bully, I was just defending myself" thing is bullshit. You could have just responded in kind with a similar crack, but instead you gleefully pounced on it, as an excuse to be relentlessly awful to someone.

Her response to Aquaria wanting to have a "Mother Mary" mimosa with the queens who go to church - which was basically, "THAT WASN'T FUNNY YOU SUCK SHUT UP!" - was completely unbearable.

And the way she kept interrupting people was really, really difficult to watch.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

But if you choose to be that hostile, you have to own it. Period. The whole "I'm not angry or a bully, I was just defending myself" thing is bullshit. You could have just responded in kind with a similar crack, but instead you gleefully pounced on it, as an excuse to be relentlessly awful to someone.

Her response to Aquaria wanting to have a "Mother Mary" mimosa with the queens who go to church - which was basically, "THAT WASN'T FUNNY YOU SUCK SHUT UP!" - was completely unbearable.

Yes and yes! All she had to do to shut Aquaria down was say "well, this look won and yours didn't." And the "that wasn't funny" about the mimosa line was totally unnecessary. I think Vixen showed a slight hint of self-awareness when she said "being at a 10 got me here," basically that her drama potential got her cast on the show. Which may be true. I really want to see the political-protest type of drag that she does. We just need to see a different side of Vixen, I think.

• Love 2
On 4/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, buttercupia said:

the new pit crew guy, Asaf, was on the most recent season of worst cooks in america. he made it to the semi final!

I was coming here to say the same. I did a double take during the End of Days app performance. That guy gets around. LOL!

Aquaria is young, bratty, and more than a little entitled, but I don’t think I could spend five minutes in a room with Vixen.

Also, probably not a popular opinion, but Eureka can go anytime. 

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 10:50 PM, Egg said:

That's disappointing. I assumed Jason, Bryce, and the mustache ones were all gay. I don't really want straight people on my reality show. 

Jason is gay, Miles is gay, Sean is gay ... Bryce is str8 as he is narrow... but much like spaghetti, if you put him in boiling water .... wait... I'm not sure that's how that's supposed to go.  Is it lunch time? I'm confused.

(edited)

LOL at Ru's "Yuhua, yu-aha up for elimination".

Nico Tortorella and Courtney Love were black holes of humor during that runway.

What a bust. Did they even quip at all? 

Eureka was much better this episode, and I feel a little bad for wishing an early exit upon her last week. (However, I reserve the right to change my mind again if she starts back up with the whining.)

Edited by jaync
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, jaync said:

Eureka was much better this episode, and I feel a little bad for wishing an early exit upon her last week. (However, I reserve the right to change my mind again if she starts back up with the whining.)

I completely agree. She was funny, her runway look was incredible and her attitude was way better. I don't mind this Eureka sticking around. The judges are going to have some tough decisions coming up.

• Love 1

I feel like there was an obvious plot for the butterface app - something along the lines of always being disappointed on dating apps by a girl whose face is gorgeous in the picture but the rest of her is a mess...in this app, you know her face is terrible but her body is awesome.  Maybe it would have made as little sense as theirs eventually did.

6 hours ago, jaync said:

Did they even quip at all? 

Courtney Love definitely made at least one (possibly exactly one) quip. I remember hearing her say something, I now have no recollection what, but I remember hearing it and thinking "ha Courtney Love said something funny!" Because I was surprised so it stuck out.

5 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

I feel like there was an obvious plot for the butterface app - something along the lines of always being disappointed on dating apps by a girl whose face is gorgeous in the picture but the rest of her is a mess...in this app, you know her face is terrible but her body is awesome.  Maybe it would have made as little sense as theirs eventually did.

I’m not sure that one really makes sense either lol. It frustrates me a bit when they put together these clunkers of premises — none of those app names and elevator pitch summaries were very good. I get that putting guardrails around these challenges is probably necessary, but it would be nice to have the queens come up with the concept and the script. I feel like the past few seasons they’ve had a new team of writers — in the regular seasons and especially All Stars there’s been an increase in templated challenges, all following similar patterns...and most seem to be the same brand of lame. There’s a consistency to the tone it that makes me think we’ve had the same unfunny writers since Season 7 or so, and if so I think it’s time they find a new employer.

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 1

And then Courtney narrated that she'd "made a quip" which made it worse. I don't know who the other guest judge was, but they needn't have bothered having Courtney on, she didn't say or do anything. I didn't want her raving drunkenly, but she was such a non presence, as was the guy.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

such a non presence, as was the guy.

Nyquil Tortellini Nico Tortorella was terrible. He's an actor, thirsty Insta celebrity, and a Drag Race superfan. 

http://www.newnownext.com/nico-tortorella-recreates-iconic-drag-race-moments/02/2016/

http://www.newnownext.com/nico-tortorella-debuts-drag-alter-ego-as-newest-member-of-milks-dairy-queens/07/2016/

He and wife will not stop talking about their unconventional relationship. They're poly. She's a lesbian and he's pansexual. While I can appreciate that he is open about his sexuality, what I require most from my guest judges on Drag Race is that they actually be entertaining. He failed miserably. If I wanted to watch someone just silently appreciating the show, I'd put a mirror behind the TV and call it a day.

• Love 2

Molly Shannon recreating her SNL Courtney Love character would have been a lot better. I'm glad I don't know who Nick whatsit or his wife are. I think if you blab about your unconventional marriage etc. you shouldn't be so boring.

• Love 1

I just kept thinking his name was Nick Tortelli. You know, Carla's first ex-husband from Cheers. 

He gets 1000% funnier when you think about him that way, I promise.

Also, I'm team Vixen over Aquaria, but I acknowledge Aquaria has talent. Still, my personal fave is Dusty Bottoms both for his aesthetic and how cute he is out of drag. I'm cool being shallow. And I think it was criminal Dusty wasn't in the top three. He was the only one who carried that Fibstr gag at all.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

If I wanted to watch someone just silently appreciating the show, I'd put a mirror behind the TV and call it a day.

... Gurl.... Y'all watch silently at your house?

huh.JPG

• Love 2

I watched this again last night with my sister because when we originally watched it, it was like 2am and we'd had about four bottles of wine with a friend... anyway, I was talking about the whole Aquaria vs Vixen thing and how I was thinking about the 'crying white girl' vs 'angry black woman' right before Vixen actually said it on Untucked. My sister goes, 'No, you said it out loud. And then Vixen said it and we both laughed because you were so on it.'

The thing about Vixen is that she announced exactly who she was from jump. She's from Chicago. She's here to fight. 'What type of drag do you do?' 'Political art.' So her constant battling and causing a stir and coming back full force when someone chirps at her...  not remotely surprising. And she IS a fighter. She doesn't get lost in the chaos of it. She's pin-point when she's saying something. I've gotta give it to her. She knows what she's about. How sustainable is it? Hard to say. This may very well be how she lives her life but the other side of that is she now has a TV audience and this much ON can get fatiguing. So, I guess we'll see.

Aquaria, meanwhile, is a very young, skinny, white girl who wants to come off tougher than she is. This is someone who does not fight, or at least doesn't do it well. She talks big but has yet to match it with action. She'll clock Cracker and say "oh, we're gonna talk about it!!' but when faced with the chance to do so, backs down immediately and minimizes her reaction when Cracker is there to see it. Then she goes after Vixen in some sort of passive aggressive revenge move and really is not able to handle what Vixen brought. So then she cries.

I have a tendency to cry during confrontations and it drives me up the wall because then any point I may be trying to make gets lost in the tears. I get emotional about what I'm arguing about and the tears flow and I hate it. My frustration at myself is probably why I saw Aquaria's tears as manipulative rather than genuine. Maybe she was shocked at the level of Vixen's relentlessness but she was the one who started in on the wig. And she established herself as something of a back-biter with the 'drama' of Cracker 'copying' her.

Speaking of, Cracker strikes me as someone who can handle herself. I think she was trying to settle things down but she's probably seen her fair share of crap and isn't one to escalate. We'll see if she does when push comes to shove but, then, Cracker is older. I really just think she knows how to deal with it.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Rai said:

And I think it was criminal Dusty wasn't in the top three. He was the only one who carried that Fibstr gag at all.

Did you see Dusty's outfit? If she had been judged, it would have been impossible not to tear her apart for that, and then they'd look pretty wild for having her there. 

For real, that outfit was tragic. Raven booted it before Raja even finished saying her name. 

• Love 4
On 4/6/2018 at 5:25 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Asia O'Hara cracked me up with that Tweety Bird costume. I love that she fully embraced doing a funny runway look. I also loved her glittery makeup underneath her long bangs.

She took a chance wearing an outfit that wasn't body conscious. I guess that's not always a requirement.