Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I like that there's a shelf full of books in her room. Hopefully not all fundy.

I agree, but I find it odd that they placed the shelf so high on the wall. Bella will be a teenager before she can reach them.

8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree, but I find it odd that they placed the shelf so high on the wall. Bella will be a teenager before she can reach them.

Maybe those are the nicer books, and there is another, lower shelf for the board books and such, which are not so easily destroyed. My daughter is a librarian, and Grand-Jynlet has lots of books which they are trying to teach her to treat with respect, but, still, they have all seen better days. Then there is a higher shelf for hardbacks with dust-covers, copies signed by authors (from events at the library) and such. 

I would hope that Bella will eventually have a nice collection of books that she can actually handle, but for babies of her age, and at least until she starts crawling, there's not much point in having them within reach.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, jojo3couleurs said:

all I see is a baby BAREFOOT, but with long sleeves!!!

Put some socks on your baby, you superficial mom, it's winter!!!!

I have to disagree with you on this.  For posed photos, I like all babies barefoot.  The look of socks & shoes on their feet is just not a good look to me.  Now, for a candid photo, you best have your baby dressed for the weather.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, jojo3couleurs said:

all I see is a baby BAREFOOT, but with long sleeves!!!

Put some socks on your baby, you superficial mom, it's winter!!!!

It looks like Bella has socks or booties on in the first picture where Lauren is holding her.  I know she's not in the second one but maybe they were still getting her ready.

12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

she was in labor for two days, had back labor, 2 failed epidurals, and Bella came out sunny side up.

Of course she had all kinds of drama.  We expected nothing less.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

They often referenced/captioned a "Jill" off camera giving instructions? Was that Jillymuffin? Sometimes it sounded like her and sometimes not.

That was definitely Jillymuffin, Midwife Extroidanaire. 

I'm giving Lauren a break. I can relate to the epidurals not working & other things she was going through. I had an epidural when my son was born & it only numbed the top of my left thigh. It can be really upsetting  too - you are in intense pain & can't wait to get relief & then it doesn't work.  They failed to mention that part during childbirth classes & I had never heard of anyone where the epidural didn't work. I had back labor too & my son was facing up like Bella. I ended up needing an emergency C-section because my son's heart rate decreased at an alarming rate. After all I had been through during labor, the best words I heard was when my doctor yelled "Knock her out" to the anesthesiologist in the OR after I kept telling him I could still feel my stomach & only my leg was numb.  So I can definitely relate to what Lauren went through & don't think she was dramatic at all considering how she acts normally.

What is it with the Duggar guys keeping their baseball  caps on while  their babies are being born? I think it would get in the way while trying to lean in to help & comort your wife.  Maybe it's to hide their receding hairlines since they are being filmed at different angles.  My husband & the other men in his family are hat wearers but know when it's not the proper time to wear one. 

I had to laugh at Mechelle's phone conversation with Jim Bob giving him an update.  She sounded exactly like she did when talking to the 911 operator when Jessa was bleeding. She sounded like she was giving report to a doctor.   I didn't see Lana that much.  Maybe I missed her. 

• Love 9
On 12/8/2019 at 6:26 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Why does Lauren’s head look so huge?

It's partly the angle, but I think she has a good-sized head. I do too! Sadly, I can't do anything about it!

3 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Was Lauren home-schooled?

That's a definite yes.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Bella's birth episode is up on TLCgo. I imagine it's also on for com as well (and You Tube soon enough). She was in labor for two days, had back labor, 2 failed epidurals, and Bella came out sunny side up.

Given that Lauren's miscarriage seems to have been (well, if you take her at her word, anyway), a pretty difficult evolution, and now she had such a long and difficult labor, it sounds as though maybe her body is not built for spitting out babies with ease. I wonder how far down the alphabet she will really be willing to go with more. Or whether it would be wise for her to aim for a quiver full.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

Josiah was so close to her face the whole time.  That would not have worked for me!

Lauren must've been given some other drug(s) for pain.  She was pretty chill for someone who was at a pain level of 8 or 9.

They did say she was given something for pain after the epidurals didn't work.  I do give Lauren bonus points for having a planned hospital birth including pain relief.  Don't think home births are a thing for her. 

I agree about Josiah being all in her face (with his baseball cap on no less.)  It wouldn't have worked for me either.  I wouldn't have been able to stand Mechelle giving me "encouraging words" & telling me what to do in her sing song voice either. I'm hoping at this point Lauren was already in her own zone & not paying a bit of attention to her.  

Is the new thing for moms to start exercise routines or walk up & down steps at the beginning of labor to get things going?  I was going to ask if it  helps but it didn't seem to speed things up much for Lauren. 

• Love 9

Giving Lauren exactly as much empathy/sympathy for her birthing experience as she was willing to give others she knew were struggling with depression... my reaction after watching her drama queen delivery is a big "Whatever."

The one thing I have to give her at least some credit for (albeit begrudgingly, mind you) is she didn't seem the least bit conflicted about getting her ass to the hospital to give birth, and our girl seemed all about the epidurals (yes, plural). 

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 18

I watched Part 2 of the birth.  Like someone already stated, I’m hopeful that the long difficult labor has made Lauren think twice about having a multitude of babies.  I’m going to give her props for using a doctor, a hospital and pain meds.  It’s too bad that the epidurals didn’t work.  I’m sure she was miserable.  MEchelle sounded like a nut job in the phone call to JBoob.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Lauren really did miss a golden opportunity to tell Michelle to go fuck herself sideways. Failed epidurals = free pass on anything you might say to some idiot who has inserted herself into the process just for the camera time.

I felt true, deep sympathy for Lauren for not letting loose with the "Fuck off, Michelle" that was so clearly in her spirit.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
On 12/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, DangerousMinds said:

I heard today on NPR that the most popular name for dogs is  currently Bella 🤣🤣🤣.

Lol this is true! I worked in a doggy daycare years back, and even then there were so damn many Bella’s. 

I got my girl dog as a rescue and she came with her name, but she’s #4 on the popular list, lol.

• LOL 7

Here is a story about a woman we know. Had a dog named Sarah.   Dog got old and died.  Woman got pregnant.  Named daughter Sarah after the dog.  There are lots of people names for pets.  We had a Rick, a Winnie, and a JR.  Granddogs are Diana (deceased), Gabby (also deceased), Willis and Wilson.  So, Bella as a human name or pet name.  You decide!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I felt true, deep sympathy for Lauren for not letting loose with the "Fuck off, Michelle" that was so clearly in her spirit.

And that was why my MIL wasn't there. Cause I would have said something. I lose any filter I had when I'm in pain. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

The DM has a story about Lauren and her labor.  After looking through the pics featured in the article, it appears that Lauren was given nitrous oxide aka laughing gas for pain.  That was unheard of back when I was a L&D nurse, but apparently it’s a frequently used drug in L&D at many hospitals today.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Here is a story about a woman we know. Had a dog named Sarah.   Dog got old and died.  Woman got pregnant.  Named daughter Sarah after the dog.  There are lots of people names for pets.  We had a Rick, a Winnie, and a JR.  Granddogs are Diana (deceased), Gabby (also deceased), Willis and Wilson.  So, Bella as a human name or pet name.  You decide!!

I’ve had an Emma, Farley, Norman, Sophie, Carlton, Nicholas, Jack, Megan, Annie, and Alex...all pets!

And as a former shelter volunteer (now you know why I’ve had so many pets), I have known a zillion Bellas, mostly dogs. One rat!

Back to the Duggars...I would have been so happy if Lauren had ordered everyone out of her pain chamber in full diva mode. That would have been PPV-worthy and, as much as I don’t care much for her, completely justified.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I had to laugh at Mechelle's phone conversation with Jim Bob giving him an update.  She sounded exactly like she did when talking to the 911 operator when Jessa was bleeding. She sounded like she was giving report to a doctor.   I didn't see Lana that much.  Maybe I missed her. 

"Mother is bleeeeeeding" is as burned into my brain as Vicki from RHOCs OG hollering into her cell phone, " You sent a little family vaaaaan!" is.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I watched Part 2 of the birth.  Like someone already stated, I’m hopeful that the long difficult labor has made Lauren think twice about having a multitude of babies.  

Bella could very well be an only child.  That would be a Duggar record.

• Love 7

While a rough birth may (hopefully) slow down the baby train, I would be surprised if Si and Lauren were willing to anger all the parents and give up their Quiverfull beliefs.

It would be nice if they waited like a full year before C shows up, but even that seems unlikely. Given Lauren's dumb, uninformed comments about it taking a long time to get pregnant with Bella, I think she will be pregnant ASAP. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Temperance said:

While a rough birth may (hopefully) slow down the baby train, I would be surprised if Si and Lauren were willing to anger all the parents and give up their Quiverfull beliefs.

It would be nice if they waited like a full year before C shows up, but even that seems unlikely. Given Lauren's dumb, uninformed comments about it taking a long time to get pregnant with Bella, I think she will be pregnant ASAP. 

I think she will too. She has to keep up with and be part of the expectant wives.  

• Love 4

I haven't seen the episode, but it sounds like Lauren had a pretty rough time. Since she's very young and doesn't appear to be a very happy person, I feel kind of sorry for her.  She was probably scared and possibly very uninformed about what was happening to her during labor.  I know she's a drama queen, but it does sound like it wasn't ideal.  

• Love 21
On 12/10/2019 at 10:17 AM, realityfan26 said:

I can’t imagine having my mother-in-law in the birthing room! Heck - I can’t imagine anyone except DH.

My MIL was there almost all the way through my labor but she's a nurse and I found it comforting to have her there.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:49 AM, farmgal4 said:

I watched Part 2 of the birth.  Like someone already stated, I’m hopeful that the long difficult labor has made Lauren think twice about having a multitude of babies. 

I had a long labor, my daughter was also sunny side up and she had no interest in coming out naturally. I ended up with a c-section during which my epidural wore off(could move my legs and felt a burning sensation on my spine) so good times. She's a one and done, I'm not doing that again.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I had an uneventful pregnancy, and a problem delivery, so one and done here, as well.  

Birthing seems to be competitive among this crowd, so I don't see Lauren stopping until she has a houseful of kids.  It's a shame that these women don't get to decide when they are done breeding for the Lord.  

• Love 15
22 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

The DM has a story about Lauren and her labor.  After looking through the pics featured in the article, it appears that Lauren was given nitrous oxide aka laughing gas for pain.  That was unheard of back when I was a L&D nurse, but apparently it’s a frequently used drug in L&D at many hospitals today.

I think they also use that more commonly over in the UK.  I watched a lot of documentaries/reality shows about UK midwives while I was pregnant and they generally seem to push nitrous oxide over epidurals.  I was never offered any of it.

I also had an uneventful pregnancy and a slightly problematic delivery (emergency c-section and multiple doses of epidural because it kept wearing off).  Would like to have another child but doesn't seem like its in the cards for me and my hubby.  I will be 40 in February and finances being what they are it probably isn't a smart idea for us to have another child.  We can't afford 2 kids in daycare.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

It is, indeed.  It is especially popular with patients who don't want or cannot have an epidural.  It has been very popular in Europe for decades and is finally making inroads in the US.  It works pretty well, too.

• Useful 9
  • Love 7

I used to get nitrous oxide at the dentist, but, then we moved and current dentist doesn't use it.  It felt nice.  But, when I was having children, it was the knock her out and wake her up and show the baby.  This was in 1967 and 1969 in a big city.  We were also discouraged from breast feeding.  

• Love 12

I haven't watched Lauren's birth video, but giving birth to my first was not what I would call joyful. The majority of the stress was fortunately on me and not my little one. I was young, very early 20s. I went on to have more. I think for many moms our brains somehow protects us from truly remembering the birth experience, at least until we're already pregnant the next time(s). Then it all comes flooding back - a little too late.

I predict Lauren will have "as many blessings as the Lord sees fit".

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Thanks Gemma Violet!  I watched both parts. I admit to shedding a few tears over the birth.  I'll give Lauren credit for hanging in through a difficult labor - not that she had a choice, but she didn't seem overly dramatic to me.  She did fine!  I agree with Gee Golly - she'll do this again and the next one will likely be quicker.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I haven't watched Lauren's birth video, but giving birth to my first was not what I would call joyful. The majority of the stress was fortunately on me and not my little one. I was young, very early 20s. I went on to have more. I think for many moms our brains somehow protects us from truly remembering the birth experience, at least until we're already pregnant the next time(s). Then it all comes flooding back - a little too late.

I predict Lauren will have "as many blessings as the Lord sees fit".

My theory is that you need deep sleep to transfer things to long term memory, and since you don’t really sleep with a newborn, you literally never form the long term memories of how brutal the whole birth and newborn stage is. I definitely have more flashes of my first born’s newborn stage now that I’m in it again, but you truly do just not remember. I actually cannot even fathom how J’chelle had so many pregnancies and births (lord knows she mostly pawned off the newborn drudgery).  

Edited by Faul McCartney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Namaste said:

Could someone please remind me how Lauren and Josiah met?  I remember the episode where they became engaged, but I must have blocked out the whole lead up to it. Thanks!

Their families met a while ago. That's Lauren in blue and Josiah in the front. 

1135031992_DuggarsandLaurenSwansonfamilyatholocaustmuseum2010.JPG.eecdebcae2a1dcb73c99dfe827c1820a.JPG

Josiah became interested in Lauren while they were decorating together for Jinger's wedding. A month later they announced their courtship. They talked about it in a talking head. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Their families met a while ago. That's Lauren in blue and Josiah in the front. 

1135031992_DuggarsandLaurenSwansonfamilyatholocaustmuseum2010.JPG.eecdebcae2a1dcb73c99dfe827c1820a.JPG

Josiah became interested in Lauren while they were decorating together for Jinger's wedding. A month later they announced their courtship. They talked about it in a talking head. 

So courting Marjorie Jackson was just a brief detour on the journey to wedded bliss with Lauren. 🙄

• LOL 11
  • Love 1