Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I had a checklist going about how 'Siah is veering into Joshley territory. Then I realized that the Smuggar actually seemed interested in Anna for a bit.

Move along folks, nothing to see here but two people who don't like each other procreating because Jesus.

Josiah resembles Josh, but I don't believe they are similar. Josiah doesn't appear to hold the same sense of entitlement that Josh had. And Smuggar is clearly interested in women. The jury's out on Josiah I think. 

I'm not sure where everyone's getting that Lauren doesn't like Josiah though. I agree with those who stated that the relationship seems one-sided and that Josiah is not "into" Lauren, but I think she is at least trying to be into him.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Josiah resembles Josh, but I don't believe they are similar. Josiah doesn't appear to hold the same sense of entitlement that Josh had. And Smuggar is clearly interested in women. The jury's out on Josiah I think. 

I'm not sure where everyone's getting that Lauren doesn't like Josiah though. I agree with those who stated that the relationship seems one-sided and that Josiah is not "into" Lauren, but I think she is at least trying to be into him.

I don't watch, but I think I've read people describing some times when she's been quite snappish at him or something? Has that actually happened or not? 

28 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Answering my own wonderment, I just remembered Lauren's prank that was aired on CO. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't watch, but I think I've read people describing some times when she's been quite snappish at him or something? Has that actually happened or not? 

She's a simpering fool with an inflated ego.

• Love 9

Lauren is snappish, but she acts like that in her solo TH’s too.  I think it’s more the affect she’s put on her voice and the fact that everything gets a layer of simpering eyeroll, like she is fully aware that she is the smartest person in the room and everything is just so beneath her.  The only time I wasn’t struck by it is when she was with her family getting ready for the wedding.  Lauren's definitely “acting” and “on” 24/7.  I think she might even out fame-ho Jeremy in the end.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Yes, she's made some passive aggressive remarks to him a few times.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I thought the funeral for a fetus in an ammo box was sad and weird and wrong, but it was at least consistent with what they insist they believe. If they genuinely believe that this embryo was the exact same thing as a baby or a child, then I can't imagine simply flushing it away.

Yep. Michelle's Miscarriage was more important than the others, of course.

• Love 10

Thanks for the Lauren assessments, guys! She sounds...uh...lovely. ;  )

I feel very happy for Marjorie's escape. But I wonder whether Josiah might have felt and exhibited a little longer-lasting warmth for her.

In clips I saw, he seemed to be actually pretty enthusiastic about that relationship. This one, not so much, I guess. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I do remember Josiah being very smug during the 19 Kids and Counting days. It lead to him being called Smuggar 2.0 or Smuggar Jr. Can't remember.

It's very easy to forget how similar they are because Josh has become persona non grata everywhere except in the mind of leg humpers.

• LOL 4
13 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Not that I am defending anything Duggar, but the time element (Oct vs Feb) could be part of the reason Josiah seemed so uncaring and awkward in the interview.  Let's face it, these people can't act.

For me, it's the general uneasiness between the two of them that sets off alarm bells. I agree that Si isn't going to be a weepy, emotional mess when he's had four months to process the event, but Lauren was upset and he barely glanced her way. You'd think he would've instinctively turned to comfort her, but he sat stone-faced with his body squared evenly towards the camera. 

Si was one of the rare Duggar kids who showed some spark. Sadly, I think he has enough of a brain to realize he's stuck in a marriage that has little potential for long-term happiness. I predict he's going to start aging in dog years pretty quickly. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

For me, it's the general uneasiness between the two of them that sets off alarm bells. I agree that Si isn't going to be a weepy, emotional mess when he's had four months to process the event, but Lauren was upset and he barely glanced her way. You'd think he would've instinctively turned to comfort her, but he sat stone-faced with his body squared evenly towards the camera. 

I think they lack the chemistry some of the other couples seemed to ooze (see Jeremy and Jinger).  That weirdly distant, hands-off approach they seem to take when someone is going through something emotional isn't limited to Josiah, though. Jessa had the same response when Jill was crying right next to her in that special they did right after Josh-gate.

It makes me think that this family never learned how to be warm to each other in a spontaneous, natural, safe way after the molestations happened because their idiot parents were so busy trying to keep their "safeguards" in place at all costs (sidehugs only, anyone?) in order to prevent such a thing from happening again. Add into that the fact that the offspring are emotionally stilted from the outset in any case because of their cult upbringing, and basically you have no "hey, she's upset, I should comfort her" instincts.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, graefin said:

I think they lack the chemistry some of the other couples seemed to ooze (see Jeremy and Jinger).  That weirdly distant, hands-off approach they seem to take when someone is going through something emotional isn't limited to Josiah, though. Jessa had the same response when Jill was crying right next to her in that special they did right after Josh-gate.

It makes me think that this family never learned how to be warm to each other in a spontaneous, natural, safe way after the molestations happened because their idiot parents were so busy trying to keep their "safeguards" in place at all costs (sidehugs only, anyone?) in order to prevent such a thing from happening again. Add into that the fact that the offspring are emotionally stilted from the outset in any case because of their cult upbringing, and basically you have no "hey, she's upset, I should comfort her" instincts.

And just look at Abbie and John. Sure they are older, but they are so "warm" with each other. Maybe it also has to do with the other person bringing that warmth out. 

• Love 18

Well, maybe Lauren got married to be on TeeVee and become one of the early-childbearer stars of her culture and to help her dad the mowing minister get the Duggar fame/money tree to plant a shoot in his backyard and Josiah got married to prove he's a very heterosexual male rarin' to make babies with a godly woman and somebody for whom those Alert visits really did the trick and because Jim Bob and Jessa really really really wanted another wedding for the next Season of LifeTLC. 

I can well believe that she's young and hungry enough to have done this and that Josiah's been warped enough by his upbringing to have done it. 

And if that's the case, they wouldn't act like they're drawn to each other because they aren't. They're drawn to TeeVee, approval, fame, money, vindication, being good Gothardites, etc......

While I do believe that most of the other marryers-in -- or their parents -- have ulterior motives, I also think that most of them have also been actually attracted to their Duggarling spouses in some way and to some degree, at least at the beginning. 

With these two, maybe it's all ulterior motive, and she's too young to realize it and he's too warped to realize it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21

How worldly are the Swansons? They obviously know that the Duggars are on the television but do they actually watch television and/or participate in pop culture?

Lauren's parents should take partial blame for this mess. We can go back to that Lauren is legally an adult and able to make her own decisions. However, they seem to have instilled in Lauren that a woman will be an old maid forever if she isn't married by the time she's 20. Plus they are social climbers, what with moving closer to the Duggars and all that. I don't think Lauren fully understood what marrying into the Duggars entailed, I think her parents did.

For what it's worth I feel the same about how the Seewalds sent their teenage son to the slaughter. I don't think Ben fully grasped what being a part of the Duggar borg meant. His parents did and they knowingly sent him off.

I truly wonder if anyone in the family feels like they can say "please keep this off the show" after the Dullards were written out though. The TLC giveth and the TLC taketh away.

• Love 20
28 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

How worldly are the Swansons? They obviously know that the Duggars are on the television but do they actually watch television and/or participate in pop culture?

Lauren's parents should take partial blame for this mess. We can go back to that Lauren is legally an adult and able to make her own decisions. However, they seem to have instilled in Lauren that a woman will be an old maid forever if she isn't married by the time she's 20. Plus they are social climbers, what with moving closer to the Duggars and all that. I don't think Lauren fully understood what marrying into the Duggars entailed, I think her parents did.

For what it's worth I feel the same about how the Seewalds sent their teenage son to the slaughter. I don't think Ben fully grasped what being a part of the Duggar borg meant. His parents did and they knowingly sent him off.

I truly wonder if anyone in the family feels like they can say "please keep this off the show" after the Dullards were written out though. The TLC giveth and the TLC taketh away.

Well, Dad clearly wants to be a fundie-Christian media star. (just like Der, Bin and Jer -- and Kendra's dad, I might add --While Austin's dad, and maybe even Austin? They want to use the Duggar name to sell at least the camp and possibly their ideas.). 

There's no mistaking Swanson's ambition, given his website, seems to me.

https://embassymedia.com/speaker/dwain-swanson

I'd say his ambitions are fundie-wordly as all get out, actually.

The only one marryer-in for whom nobody may want this is Abbie. I think the Kellers were into marrying Gothard royalty back in the day -- and Anna kinda got into Joshley being a fundie powerbroker, I think. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

I really wonder if Lauren went to the doctor to verify her pregnancy/miscarrige.  Or did she or Jilly Muffin diagnose her? I really hope she saw a real doctor and is recovering well.

Either way I feel bad for her because her hubby looks at her like she got a communal deasease.  I doubt he LOVES her with all his heart.  Hubby always got a pained look on his face or maybe he is constipated?

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Oh yeah! I went down the rabbit hole and viewed his website. He mentors 150 men while on his mower, and in turn the men have started mentoring others. So,this is going to be big!!!

There is a long list of speakers named, although I can’t make the connection between the speakers and the lawnmowers,unless the men listen to tapes of the speakers or congregate somewhere ( without the lawnmowers.)

Amomg those named as speakers are the Duggars, Bates,and many IBLP big shots including Bill Gothard. Some of the men are lawyers or respected businessmen who apparently are drinking the KoolAid.

But, I’ve saved the best  for last. Anna Duggar and sister Priscilla together are listed as speakers. What I’d give to hear those two.

Lauren’s father is becoming mini Duggar.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, bythelake said:

Oh yeah! I went down the rabbit hole and viewed his website. He mentors 150 men while on his mower, and in turn the men have started mentoring others. So,this is going to be big!!!

There is a long list of speakers named, although I can’t make the connection between the speakers and the lawnmowers,unless the men listen to tapes of the speakers or congregate somewhere ( without the lawnmowers.)

Amomg those named as speakers are the Duggars, Bates,and many IBLP big shots including Bill Gothard. Some of the men are lawyers or respected businessmen who apparently are drinking the KoolAid.

But, I’ve saved the best  for last. Anna Duggar and sister Priscilla together are listed as speakers. What I’d give to hear those two.

Lauren’s father is becoming mini Duggar.

When I need true entertainment, I go to YouTube and search for Priscilla Waller.  Especially the video she made with Michelle Duggar!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Ewwww, Dwain leering down at Si and Lauren as they shared their first kiss was disgusting. He was so close he was practically joining in.

Si's too busy with work to help with household chores? Really? And how dirty can a house with two adults and no children or pets possible be? 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Ewwww, Dwain leering down at Si and Lauren as they shared their first kiss was disgusting. He was so close he was practically joining in.

Si's too busy with work to help with household chores? Really? And how dirty can a house with two adults and no children or pets possible be? 

What “work?”

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Lunera said:

https://m.facebook.com/countingontlc/posts/2578664085693470

Josiah and Lauren talk about being newlyweds 

Sickening. 

Her disgusting father, the audience whooping at the kiss. A married guy declaring that it was exciting to be alone with his spouse for the first time EVER after the damn wedding. 

And she stays home all day, no kid, no job, no classes, not even a pet -- and she fails to get chores done because her sisters aren't helping her do them? What? 

And clearly Jer used to throw his socks on the floor, and Joe's a plate-licking slob. And, no shit, Jessa, it was no adjustment for you to live with Bin? Really? How surprising. Not. Because that's the way it is when the other person is the one who has to do all the accommodating.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A19FE0CD-137C-47DB-A348-F20F7465F843.jpeg

Did a Duggar make a post about loving a family member without including God? And thanking Lauren for choosing him rather than God sending/giving her to him?

Damn, Josiah may just be the most "woke" Duggar child (obviously, the bar is set low.....but I'm impressed).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • LOL 4
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Did a Duggar make a post about loving a family member without including God? And thanking Lauren for choosing him rather than God sending/giving her to him?

Damn, Josiah may just be the most "woke" Duggar child (obviously, the bar is set low, but I'm impressed).

Do they take married guys at Alert? Cuz he may have to go back! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Josiah's message to her sounds like it is an attempt to answer all the questions and criticism about how cold he seems to her. To me, it still seems pretty hollow, impersonal, and robotic. It's just a laundry list of trite things people say about their spouses. There's still nothing in their individual to Lauren. 

• Love 18
41 minutes ago, Zella said:

Josiah's message to her sounds like it is an attempt to answer all the questions and criticism about how cold he seems to her. To me, it still seems pretty hollow, impersonal, and robotic. It's just a laundry list of trite things people say about their spouses. There's still nothing in their individual to Lauren. 

I think the Duggars all speak a language of their own.

It's not English. It's "AlaundrylistoftritethingspeoplesayaboutX".....

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

I think the Duggars all speak a language of their own.

It's not English. It's "AlaundrylistoftritethingspeoplesayaboutX".....

Exactly! Even in the realm of fundamentalism, which is replete with laundry lists of trite things, it stands out. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I feel like it would come off as insincere anyways but come on. Speak to something about her individuality. Unless the Swansons beat the idea of individuality out of her too.

• Love 2
On 2/13/2019 at 5:36 PM, Christina87 said:

I'm a Christian and definitely believe it's possible that these super early term pregnancies go to heaven, as they are a life. I've always imagined them turning into children and playing with each other until they get the chance to know their parents, by that's just my wishful thinking. I don't presume to know, but the Duggars think they know everything, and could never be wrong. I also think they clearly don't differentiate between a six-week-old fetus and an 95-year-old man. They're both equal to them, while most of us would consider them very different things. The fetus was not old enough to feel pain, so while it is sad, it's not the same as delivering a preemie who may suffer, or losing your five-year-old in a painful accident. I have no qualms with them looking forward to meeting their child in heaven, but the way they turn everything so preachy turns me off. 

To me, it's a totally consistent belief. Duggars (and lots of Christian denominations) believe that God endows a soul upon the "person" at the time of conception. If you believe this, its easy to understand not only why abortion would be forbidden, but it wouldn't be silly or stupid to think you will "see" (or rather, be with) the child's soul in Heaven. We do not go bodily to Heaven, our souls go.  

• Love 6

Lauren is gluten-free. Does she have celiac disease?

Just tossing out some thoughts:

I don't have any medical articles to confirm but I do know that a few of my friends with celiac disease have frequent miscarriages.  Celiac is an auto-immune disorder.  Maybe Lauren went to the OB after the miscarriage and got some more information?  She looked very upset...seems she is not pregnant again? 

I have had numerous miscarriages (and also a large family). Lauren is a wacky but I do feel for her. 

• Love 3

I think Lauren was gluten free because it was trendy at the time. When Si recycled Duggar leftovers into a date-night meal, Lauren ate a flour tortilla. I'm assuming that if she had a medical condition she'd by super conscious about that sort of thing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Lunera said:

https://m.facebook.com/countingontlc/posts/2578664085693470

Josiah and Lauren talk about being newlyweds 

Their interchange about the “unnecessary” coffee pot (per Josiah) seemed especially tense - Josiah said it’s just collecting dust because neither drink coffee. Lauren retorted that it’s for guests. Why of all things would Josiah seemingly criticize Lauren for displaying it? 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Lauren is gluten-free. Does she have celiac disease?

Just tossing out some thoughts:

I don't have any medical articles to confirm but I do know that a few of my friends with celiac disease have frequent miscarriages.  Celiac is an auto-immune disorder.  Maybe Lauren went to the OB after the miscarriage and got some more information?  She looked very upset...seems she is not pregnant again? 

I have had numerous miscarriages (and also a large family). Lauren is a wacky but I do feel for her. 

I hope she doesn't have celiac and she's just going with the fad. 

That's an awful disease, and it's very rough when you have kids. Because it's hereditary, you have to go through a big rigmarole to check out if each child has it as the kid comes along. And if mom or dad has to really be on the full-blown celiac diet it's pretty hellish for the chief cook in the family. Because kids aren't going to love that diet, and they'll quickly see it's not like what other people eat so there can be a lot of disgruntlement. 

A good friend of mine came close to death before he was diagnosed, and shopping for food at their house is difficult. ... On the bright side, it's simple to make their kids happy when they come to your house. Just hand them one slice of pizza or one real cookie with flour in  it and they're ecstatic. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Lauren was gluten free because it was trendy at the time. When Si recycled Duggar leftovers into a date-night meal, Lauren ate a flour tortilla. I'm assuming that if she had a medical condition she'd by super conscious about that sort of thing. 

How could I forget the tortilla that all the Duggars picked through and nibbled on...maybe I just blocked it out like a horror film. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

There are different kinds and levels of allergies.

Lauren has never claimed to be celiac, which is (to the best of my knowledge) an autoimmune disease that is triggered by a gluten allergy.

She claims that she is allergic to gluten to what degree I'm not sure. Some people can foods they are allergic to in small quantities, others need to avoid the food altogether.

• Love 6

How did she “choose” him when he did all the pursuing, asking to court, etc and she just acquiesced?  And at the time, she said she was totally surprised!  

Edited by awaken
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I hope she doesn't have celiac and she's just going with the fad. 

That's an awful disease, and it's very rough when you have kids. Because it's hereditary, you have to go through a big rigmarole to check out if each child has it as the kid comes along. And if mom or dad has to really be on the full-blown celiac diet it's pretty hellish for the chief cook in the family. Because kids aren't going to love that diet, and they'll quickly see it's not like what other people eat so there can be a lot of disgruntlement. 

A good friend of mine came close to death before he was diagnosed, and shopping for food at their house is difficult. ... On the bright side, it's simple to make their kids happy when they come to your house. Just hand them one slice of pizza or one real cookie with flour in  it and they're ecstatic. 

Not to veer off topic, but my adult child has Celiac Disease, and I am gluten intolerant.  It is not that hard to shop for and cook gluten free food.  You could serve a child a gluten free diet, and they wouldn't even know it.

I think Lauren is gluten intolerant, but not Celiac and not just gluten free for fun.  I will be watching closely to see how she manages this in the Duggar chaos.  I personally would bring my own food to every gathering.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

Not to veer off topic, but my adult child has Celiac Disease, and I am gluten intolerant.  It is not that hard to shop for and cook gluten free food.  You could serve a child a gluten free diet, and they wouldn't even know it.

I think Lauren is gluten intolerant, but not Celiac and not just gluten free for fun.  I will be watching closely to see how she manages this in the Duggar chaos.  I personally would bring my own food to every gathering.  

Yeah, good points. I'm thinking of a situation that began over 25 years ago in someone who has an extreme intolerance. Of course, there's tons more stuff that's gluten-free now. Back at the beginning of this drama there was very little, and certainly very little sold with the gluten-free fact made obvious-- and that was true for some years after his celiac was finally diagnosed. And most people who are sensitive to it aren't nearly as sensitive as my friend is....

If Lauren's particularly sensitive at all, though, she certainly ought to bring her own food to the Duggars, as you say. 

Of course I might bring my own food to the Duggars anyway. ;  )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

I'm the same way. My mom is gluten intolerant, and I haven't noticed a huge difference with it, but it does help my stomach to feel better when I avoid it. I usually cook gluten free, but will splurge on food in a restaurant if there's no gluten free option. I've taken all kinds of cakes, cookies, brownies, breads, etc to parties that were gluten free, and no one could ever tell! I also LOVE gluten free pasta (probably more than regular pasta) and make it often. The only things I'm not happy with gluten free versions of are:

--Pie crusts (i've never found one in stores)

--Pizza crusts (usually thin and not as good)

--why the hell are there not gluten free cheez-it's?

--I love those Keebler M&M cookies, and there's nothing comparable

Seriously, besides those few things, I have no trouble recreating any experience that I had before GF!

On 2/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, MamaMax said:

To me, it's a totally consistent belief. Duggars (and lots of Christian denominations) believe that God endows a soul upon the "person" at the time of conception. If you believe this, its easy to understand not only why abortion would be forbidden, but it wouldn't be silly or stupid to think you will "see" (or rather, be with) the child's soul in Heaven. We do not go bodily to Heaven, our souls go.  

I agree. And not to be political, but I honestly think it's a comforting thought no matter whether you are pro-life or pro-choice. At least the aborted babies would be going to heaven, instead of being completely dead. 

• Love 1

It's possible that Lauren doesn't yet know what is wrong with her, just that she has "a tender stomach" in some way, shape, or form.  I myself often had intestinal problems for decades, and asked to be tested multiple times for Crohn's, celiac, endometriosis, etc., after wolfing probiotics and cal-mag until the cows came home... or went away, as I also briefly flirted with the possibility that I was lactose intolerant... after enormous amounts of trial and error, it seems that I was having consistent intestinal problems because of my gastritis; or, at the very least, that my bowels regulate themselves with a daily acid reducer de facto pushing the acid buildup out (sorry for TMI but if it helps one other person, I would feel it's worth it!). 

• Love 8
On 2/18/2019 at 9:05 PM, Sew Sumi said:

She said she was gluten free but never admitted to celiac or a more common gluten intolerance. Since she ate a tortilla out of the Duggar fridge, I imagine it's the latter.

You can have corn tortillas as a Celiac but I don’t remember if it was labeled or not.  I know true Celiacs can have miscarriages when they eat gluten because of the antibodies their body makes.

• Useful 1