Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I can't. As though a nursery tour would ever be remotely interesting unless you were closely related to the child in question.

Abbie's was even more boring, if that;s possible.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, jcbrown said:

At least Bella has lots of books.

She does!  The top shelving unit would be difficult for Lauren to reach, I think - it looked to be over her head.  Very attractive as a decoration, though!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Edited to add, this pandemic has broken me and I did watch it. At least Bella has lots of books.

She only has lots of books because that’s the in thing to do now, right down to the lamp and chair in the corner and sound machine on the side table.  If you fall into the rabbit hole of nursery tours on YouTube (you’ve been warned), they all basically look exactly the same:  bland, colorless, devoid of any personality, whimsy or visual stimulation.  I hate unoriginal, theme-y people🙄

• Love 11

TLC Production is so boring because besides the nursery tours for Bella and Gracie, they did nursery tours for infants on some of their other shows. At least tailor your production ideas to the family featured on your show! 

At the same time, though, I'm surprised there was no nursery tour for Addison. Unless it was because she was not the first/only child...

I'm surprised she brought up Joseph and Kendra. I recognize that that marriage was arranged (as most of these marriages are) but they seemed happy with each other. Otherwise, I'm not surprised by anything else she said. I didn't know Josiah had a secret FB page under the name of Matthew though...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Interesting that Lauren is rumored to have mental issues. That's the first time I've heard anyone say that, despite it being pretty obvious anytime the girl is on screen. Hopefully she and Si can come to some sort of mutual agreement, otherwise it's going to be a long and miserable life.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Interesting that Lauren is rumored to have mental issues. That's the first time I've heard anyone say that, despite it being pretty obvious anytime the girl is on screen. Hopefully she and Si can come to some sort of mutual agreement, otherwise it's going to be a long and miserable life.

What kind of mental health issues? Lauren herself mentioned depression after the miscarriage, although I would say she was experiencing typical grieving.

I wouldn't be surprised if she met the criteria for either borderline or histrionic personality disorder.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

What kind of mental health issues? Lauren herself mentioned depression after the miscarriage, although I would say she was experiencing typical grieving.

I wouldn't be surprised if she met the criteria for either borderline or histrionic personality disorder.

Katie said it in a general sense, speculating the marriage was both families' ways of harnessing problematic children. I have no idea how accurate her sources are, but I could see it being true. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Without a crystal ball has an 18 minute youtube video on these two.  Lots of what we suspect, allegedly.

can you link to it? i didnt see it...or any dugger videos

• Love 2

I'm surprised Lauren didn't alert the world that Asa was in the second picture.  There's a rainbow over Bella's head and two orbs on Lauren's back.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

She had Information wrong anyway. She said Josiah was at ALERT for over a year (not true; he spent 9 months there) and said Smuggar went there as a teen (he didn't). I corrected her in the comments. She wasn't happy about it. 😁

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I get chigger bites just looking at that picture.

For real! It's like none of these idiots have a clue of what they're in for. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Well aren't all those marriages arranged other than Bin and Rev Fancy Pants? 

For some reason, I'm not so sure that JD and Abbie's marriage was that arranged. At the very least, I feel that JD and Abbie both had more input since they were both older relative to other couples.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

For some reason, I'm not so sure that JD and Abbie's marriage was that arranged. At the very least, I feel that JD and Abbie both had more input since they were both older relative to other couples.

I tend to agree with this. The other boys, Joy, and Jill all had relatively arranged marriages. I feel like if John David's marriage had been arranged, they would have been married younger. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

She had Information wrong anyway. She said Josiah was at ALERT for over a year (not true; he spent 9 months there) and said Smuggar went there as a teen (he didn't). I corrected her in the comments. She wasn't happy about it. 😁

Did she delete your comment?

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Did she delete your comment?

I got another like on it earlier today, so I assume it's still there. Maybe she'll learn to do some research. 😁

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I got another like on it earlier today, so I assume it's still there. Maybe she'll learn to do some research. 😁

That like might have been by me.  Just saying.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

I feel like if John David's marriage had been arranged, they would have been married younger

On the other hand, maybe that's why it had to be arranged. They were both getting too old, in their families eyes.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

On the other hand, maybe that's why it had to be arranged. They were both getting too old, in their families eyes.

I can see it going either way. Both had been single for a long time. But then when they met they courted and got engaged fast. Who was rushing it? JD and Abbie or their parents. Or maybe both?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

Who was rushing it? JD and Abbie or their parents. Or maybe both?

What I always wondered is how did they court when he was in Arkansas and she was in Oklahoma?  That makes me lean towards an arranged marriage. But, who really knows.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

What I always wondered is how did they court when he was in Arkansas and she was in Oklahoma?  That makes me lean towards an arranged marriage. But, who really knows.

The speed made me wonder. It was pretty fast for two who just met. They started courting a week after they met and got engaged two months later. What was the rush? How did they know they were in love after two months? How many times could they have seen each other in two months? I know JD is a pilot and all. Josiah and Lauren were real short too mostly like because Josiah had already had a broken courtship and his parents really wanted to get Josiah to the alter. Everything about Josiah and Lauren comes off as arranged. But why the similar speed for JD and Abbie? 

• Love 3

I guess I see arranged marriages as a long planned marriage between two sets of parents. A marriage with no choice.

JD & Abbie met at some church gathering. It could have been an arranged meet, or it could have been random. I read or heard somewhere that JD & Abbie saw each other often, mostly in OK and some of the Duggar 19 never met her in person until he brought her home and announced the courtship.

Anyway, it seems in Fundyland, two virgins having a mutual crush is a clear path to marriage.

I think with Josiah, someone in the group, either the parents or Josiah or Lauren, found opportunities to get them together at random events to see if a crush developed.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think with Josiah, someone in the group, either the parents or Josiah or Lauren, found opportunities to get them together at random events to see if a crush developed.

And no crush developed, but they were forced down the aisle anyway.  Sounds about right.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

How I see it, the marriages of Josiah/Lauren, Joy/Austin, Joe/Kendra, and Josh/Anna were probably arranged (or brokered) between the families. Maybe some of the boys were presented with a short list of “available girls” and had the freedom to pick one, but I think that’s about as long as the leashes got.

I think Ben and Derick independently approached Boob because they thought one of his daughters would be good for a wife, and once they had his approval, they were paired off with whichever daughter liked them best. I don’t think it was an arrangement between families, but I do think those relationships were more or less brokered by Boob.

I think JD/Abbie and Jinger/Jeremy were love matches. Both couples have the kind of chemistry that makes me think they just fell for each other. That’s not to say I think they have great relationships (I don’t), but they seem organic.

I think Boob doesn’t arrange anything for Jana because she hasn’t especially liked any of the men who have come calling and she’s too obedient and useful for him to want to push her into a (punishment/prison) marriage against her will.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, rue721 said:

How I see it, the marriages of Josiah/Lauren, Joy/Austin, Joe/Kendra, and Josh/Anna were probably arranged (or brokered) between the families. Maybe some of the boys were presented with a short list of “available girls” and had the freedom to pick one, but I think that’s about as long as the leashes got.

I think Ben and Derick independently approached Boob because they thought one of his daughters would be good for a wife, and once they had his approval, they were paired off with whichever daughter liked them best. I don’t think it was an arrangement between families, but I do think those relationships were more or less brokered by Boob.

I think JD/Abbie and Jinger/Jeremy were love matches. Both couples have the kind of chemistry that makes me think they just fell for each other. That’s not to say I think they have great relationships (I don’t), but they seem organic.

I think Boob doesn’t arrange anything for Jana because she hasn’t especially liked any of the men who have come calling and she’s too obedient and useful for him to want to push her into a (punishment/prison) marriage against her will.

I agree, but I think Joy had eyes for Austin first, and that caused JB to talk to his Dad and broker the relationship. I think Joe developed a crush on Kendra and got JB to talk to her dad, because I think one of the Duggar sisters told Kendra Joe was interested in her and she was very surprised. 

I think JD Met Abby and liked her, and because she liked him back & was from a suitable social group they started a relationship.

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Bella is a doll. I wonder if Siah and Lauren will be the first couple to divorce. I doubt it, because I'm sure they have the iron-clad covenant  marriage like the rest of the Duggars. 

It's really not as iron clad as people make it out to be. It does make it harder to get a divorce, but it doesn't prevent one if you do want one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

I think it’s possible that Siah and Lauren eventually divorce. Neither seems like a Gothard true believer in the Anna mold, they don’t seem to have much of an attachment to each other, and neither seems like much of a “joiner” who would want to stay a part of a tight (if toxic) community just to keep from being alone.

That said, I think they’ll be together for quite a bit longer. Lauren seems distracted by Bella and Siah seems to still be relishing his relative freedom since he married. Maybe they aren’t happy, but this is likely as happy as they’ll be in their life together. 

My guess is that one of them will genuinely fall in love with someone else, and then they’ll break up.

• Love 4

For either Lauren or Josiah to ever have a chance of falling in love with someone else, they'd need to leave their religious beliefs behind them or would have to become a widow or widower. 

And unless Lauren matures a great deal, she'll have a hard time finding anyone that could tolerate her long term.

• Love 8
(edited)

I think there would also be a lot of cultural and familial pressure to stay together, regardless of whether they fall in love with someone else. I don't think either of them would particularly welcome the stigma that comes with divorce--especially divorce due to adultery--or remarriage after a divorce in their circle. I know a lot of folks from a much less fundie upbringing than these people who really have a complex about that, even if they no longer are fundie. I think Josiah and Lauren would be the same way, despite their possibly not being as devout as the rest of the family. The truth of the matter is it is what they know, and I don't see either of them questioning that very much. 

So, I don't really think any of these people will get a divorce. I can see Josiah and Lauren living in some miserable form of matrimony for the rest of their lives. Sort of like Josh and Anna, but Anna seems predisposed to pretending she is happy. I don't think Josiah or Lauren either one really have any illusions about being happy together. Which is sad. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

To my knowledge, only Jill and Derick have a covenant marriage. But that's based on what was shared with us.

I thought Josh and Anna also have a covenant marriage too?