Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

That's not much of a cake for all those people. I guess the unfortunate ones get to gnaw on those styrofoam cups.

This is comedy gold, lmao!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

There was this big roll of brown paper at my old job. It was to wrap mail packages in, not for table runners. 

Actually, we did occasionally use it for food related purposes. 

That looks so much like typical Southern wedding shower. 

What is hanging from the ceiling in the second picture? Jana's dead flowers?

• Love 3

Lauren has this look like, who the eff decided this was enough cake?  And I think she realizes her future of drowning under styrofoam and plastic utensils.  And dead flower hanging from the ceiling.  Wow, I think this took about 10 minutes of planning.  I hope her parents give her a nice shower with their extended family and friends.

• Love 12

Those are some of the most half-assed decorations I've ever seen. It looks like they just grabbed whatever was near and plonked it down on the table. And is that construction paper they're using as a table cloth? I mean, it matches the beige walls very well, but maybe on your son's wedding shower you could splurge out on something actually meant for a table?

• Love 13

Interesting that the Duggars, of all people, are into Jack-and-Jill showers. Given their strict adherence to traditional gender roles, you'd think it would be somehow "ungodly" or "unmanly" for the guys to participate in an event that is traditionally just for the womenfolk. I'm guessing that it's because a Duggar son is getting married and making the shower co-ed gives them more control over the event and a bigger opportunity to show off.

• Love 16

Poor Lauren. Poor Josiah. At least with the other couples, you had the sense that they, you know, liked each other? 

I wonder why they felt the need to marry Josiah off at this particular point in time. Was he feeling desires that could not be righteously fulfilled? You certainly don't get that sense looking at any of their interactions. The entire affair feels perfunctory.

• Love 17
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Interesting that the Duggars, of all people, are into Jack-and-Jill showers. Given their strict adherence to traditional gender roles, you'd think it would be somehow "ungodly" or "unmanly" for the guys to participate in an event that is traditionally just for the womenfolk. I'm guessing that it's because a Duggar son is getting married and making the shower co-ed gives them more control over the event and a bigger opportunity to show off.

I think it may be because TLC is filming it and their contract requires as many Duggars as possible.  Easier to sell the pics to the tabloids, too, if everyone is in them.  This is especially true since, in this case, the groom is a Duggar.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
30 minutes ago, graefin said:

Poor Lauren. Poor Josiah. At least with the other couples, you had the sense that they, you know, liked each other? 

I wonder why they felt the need to marry Josiah off at this particular point in time. Was he feeling desires that could not be righteously fulfilled? You certainly don't get that sense looking at any of their interactions. The entire affair feels perfunctory.

ITA, although I wonder how much of this is because we have seen the other couples a fair amount on the show, whereas we really haven't seen Lauren yet? 

The only couple who I perceived a mismatch in liking was SmugAnna, as Anna seemed more into Josh than he was into her. 

Lauren gives me an Eden vibe (Handmaid's Tale), someone who I could easily see reporting to JB that Josiah is a gender traitor. OK, clearly I have been watching too much Handmaid's Tale.

• Love 14

The Jack & Jill showers also might because bachelor parties are associated with alcohol and strippers. And it seems the only thing men do socially is pray. I can picture Jill and Jana making index cards of verses for the men read to each other. Fun times.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Vaysh said:

And is that construction paper they're using as a table cloth? I mean, it matches the beige walls very well, but maybe on your son's wedding shower you could splurge out on something actually meant for a table?

I think it's butcher paper (comes in big rolls), but yes, same sentiment. Way to go all out, Duggars.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think it's butcher paper (comes in big rolls), but yes, same sentiment. Way to go all out, Duggars.

I think they think they're being trendy.

• Love 13

I think the Duggars, or should I say Jana, is just totally out of fucks to give when it comes to hosting baby and bridal showers. You don't have to spend a lot of money for things to look nice. It's easy to find themed and decorative paper plates, napkins and cups at Dollar Tree. The Duggars couldn't even be bothered to do that, they just busted out the plain, white Great Value styrofoam they buy in bulk and use on a daily basis. 

Hell, they didn't even get a cake large enough to feed everyone there. Maybe that's why Lauren looks so disheartened. 

• Love 21
40 minutes ago, graefin said:

I think they think they're being trendy.

I was about to say... Maybe they were going for a poor man's version of some Pinterest/hipster trend (this whole ''rustic chic*'' aesthetic)... Either way - once again the Duggars can't be bothered to put efforts into anything.

*I know, LOL at the Duggars and chic considered together.

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think the Duggars, or should I say Jana, is just totally out of fucks to give when it comes to hosting baby and bridal showers. You don't have to spend a lot of money for things to look nice. It's easy to find themed and decorative paper plates, napkins and cups at Dollar Tree. The Duggars couldn't even be bothered to do that, they just busted out the plain, white Great Value styrofoam they buy in bulk and use on a daily basis. 

Hell, they didn't even get a cake large enough to feed everyone there. Maybe that's why Lauren looks so disheartened. 

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate on the cake: Are we sure that's the only cake? Maybe that one was just for Josiah/Lauren.

• Love 16
6 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Or it could be because all the single fundie females that attend can see the eligible men-boys still available.  It's a group date!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Vaysh said:

It could be that it ties in with the accountability thing and their obessesion about everyone needing to be together at all times, no exceptions. It's like they almost fetishize co-dependency. Married couples must do everything together or else some brazen hussy might start making sandwiches for your husband. Or something. Might as well start at the wedding shower. I'll bet they'll do what Jill and Jessa did and insist on spending their entire wedding day together as well. Properly chaperoned of course lest they are overcome with desires that can not be righteously fulfilled and do a sinful front hug before the ceremony.

Oh, I'm almost positive that this is the reason - general snoopery and "What were you planning on doing that the men couldn't watch the women do it, and vice versa"?  It's certainly not in a spirit of progressiveness.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cdp73 said:

Or it could be because all the single fundie females that attend can see the eligible men-boys still available.  It's a group date!

That's what the Amish do. An Amish wedding is typically held on Thursday and on Friday they have gathering for all the young singles . When I worked in an Amish community, Friday was also Amish day out, lots of errand running, and the young people would be running rampant in their very own Amish way on Friday nights. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lauren looks thrilled.

Do they draw straws to determine who gets a sliver of cake? 

They have to have paperwork available to verify that they meet the requirements: 
1. Virgin (married or not)
2. They have been saved (if it happened before the age of 6, an adult relative must provide a paragraph describing their character.  Bonus points if you can prove you love the Lord.
3. They have never had an impure thought.  Nike situations are no laughing matter.
4. Know the meanings and spellings of "yay" and "voilà".  "Yaaaay" & "wa-la" are not acceptable.

• Love 11
On 6/9/2018 at 11:07 PM, Sew Sumi said:

That's not much of a cake for all those people. I guess the unfortunate ones get to gnaw on those styrofoam cups.

It's a typical Duggar event, which means it's never about feeding your guests and it's all about how many presents are on the gift table.

• Love 19
14 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I think they do this to show us how "modern" they are. There is a lot of this in "I'm marrying my best friend" and how Jill gushing over Derick making meals for her, and Ben talking about changing diapers. They're not "liberal" but they are "modern" (or whatever term they use among themselves). It seems like it's really important to them to show us that despite holding archaic views on so many things, that they are "modern" about others.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Keep your eye on when they have the bachelor bachelorette party because they usually get married a week after that.

Wait, I thought this was the bachelor/bachelorette party. Like, a joint one and they just called it a shower because of that. Wtf is a wedding shower then? Is this a thing outside of Duggardom? What's the purpose? I would have thought pretty much everything would be covered by the bachelor party/ rehersal dinner/wedding sequence of events. I have so many questions now!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate on the cake: Are we sure that's the only cake? Maybe that one was just for Josiah/Lauren.

That's what i'm thinking. I bet they have cupcakes for the guest. They can't be THAT cheap. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

It's a typical Duggar event, which means it's never about feeding your guests and it's all about how many presents are on the gift table.

There are plenty of people out there that have no clue that you actually have to have real food for parties. We got our once every 4-5 year invitation from a family member. She grew up with her father being a pastor of some kind. She never has enough food ever. She must have grown up with people bringing a plate to a party since I'm sure all she knew before marrying a Polish boy. At least the Polish side has real food. We just all stand around and snicker at her lack of realization just like we do the Duggars. lol

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

There are plenty of people out there that have no clue that you actually have to have real food for parties. We got our once every 4-5 year invitation from a family member. She grew up with her father being a pastor of some kind. She never has enough food ever. She must have grown up with people bringing a plate to a party since I'm sure all she knew before marrying a Polish boy. At least the Polish side has real food. We just all stand around and snicker at her lack of realization just like we do the Duggars. lol

Every family has at least one of these, but, in the Duggars' case, it's all of them.  My sisters and I planned a family reunion at a local park for my dad's side years ago.  We got together and bought all the hot dogs, burgers, condiments, buns, etc.  My mom and dad provided beverages for the 50 or so expected as well as paper plates/utensils.  Everyone else was asked to bring a salad, side dish or dessert to feed 5-10.  My aunt, uncle, their 5 adult children, 2 daughters in law and couple grandkids showed up with a bag of potato chips as their entire contribution.  Not the family size bag, either.  No chip dip, nothing else for 9 adults and two toddlers.  Of course, we knew from prior experience that they wouldn't contribute much and had planned for it; but every family has at least one member that doesn't contribute their share.

• Love 21
(edited)
17 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought the bachelor party was last weekend when the Bates boys were there? Or was that just an assumption?

It was either last weekend or the week before that. But yes, it was definitely called the bachelor party, although it was also Jack and Jill (Anna posted on Lawson's IG, noting that he spent time with Mason).

Edited by Sew Sumi
24 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

I have an aunt like that. Every time she hosts a dinner or a holiday, she never makes enough food. And the crazy thing is, both she and her husband are M.D.'s so it's not like they can't afford to feed a crowd. She just constantly underestimates how much food you need to feed x-number of people.

• Love 7

LOL I feel like I have the potential to be *that* relative. Not for lack of effort but more from inexperience with cooking for large numbers. During party planning, I always feel like poor stupid Johnny on Deadwood: "How much fruit? I mean, how many's a fucking get-together?"

So, I always volunteer to bring drinks, paper plates, silverware, etc., where it is easier to figure out how much to bring. :D 

• Love 14
(edited)
9 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

I was about to say... Maybe they were going for a poor man's version of some Pinterest/hipster trend (this whole ''rustic chic*'' aesthetic)... Either way - once again the Duggars can't be bothered to put efforts into anything.

*I know, LOL at the Duggars and chic considered together.

Yeah, I've been to several elegant, Pinteresty showers where everything was draped in bulap. Personally, I consider butcher paper only about a half-step above burlap on the WTF decorations scale. But I guarantee those clowns have at least one "dear friend" who has bolts of burlap and other rustic chic decor in storage that they would gladly have loaned out for the thrill of a Duggar SM shout-out. And imagine this...unlike the butcher paper, the burlap could have been spot-cleaned and returned for reuse. Betcha twenty bucks that paper didn't find its way into a reycling bin.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I think they do this to show us how "modern" they are. There is a lot of this in "I'm marrying my best friend" and how Jill gushing over Derick making meals for her, and Ben talking about changing diapers. They're not "liberal" but they are "modern" (or whatever term they use among themselves). It seems like it's really important to them to show us that despite holding archaic views on so many things, that they are "modern" about others.

Probably. We're suppose to think how wonderful and amazing Derick is for cooking (good luck with that Jill maybe start with keep him off twitter) and Ben is for changing diapers. Men doing these things. Isn't it great? We're also probably suppose to be envious of them. Since everyone they know is in the same cult too it probably is shocking and surprising. They probably don't know many men who actually do that. If they knew anyone in the real world that's normal. Husbands cook and change diapers. They'll bring their wives drinks. They clean and even help raise the kids. None of these acts are special occasions.   

• Love 7

They've told us for years that they do short engagements because "everyone has those feelings". Maybe the Duggar family has finally fooled everyone and the wedding has already happened? As someone mentioned in Joe's thread - no congrats videos for the new baby. Too busy because they were at a wedding?

Jessa and TLC would over the moon if Kendra actually did go into labor at the wedding. They like the non-scandalous drama, like Marcus bumping his head at the flea market and Ben & Jeremy running into the back of the restaurant to surprise Jinger.

The could have used Jonathan Hartono and Jill as red herrings by posting the guys weekend picture and geese video. 

• Love 1

Some people aren't big on aesthetics when it comes to events like showers, parties, gatherings, etc., but, I was taught that I could really set the mood by doing it up right. And, you don't have to spend a lot of money. I often use what I already have or pick up inexpensive things and use my creativity or get tips online.  Then, there are people who try, but, just have odd taste. lol 

It appears to be a nicely done professional cake, so, I give them that. 

I'm not really familiar with this couple.  I wish them well.   

• Love 3
12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Every family has at least one of these, but, in the Duggars' case, it's all of them.  My sisters and I planned a family reunion at a local park for my dad's side years ago.  We got together and bought all the hot dogs, burgers, condiments, buns, etc.  My mom and dad provided beverages for the 50 or so expected as well as paper plates/utensils.  Everyone else was asked to bring a salad, side dish or dessert to feed 5-10.  My aunt, uncle, their 5 adult children, 2 daughters in law and couple grandkids showed up with a bag of potato chips as their entire contribution.  Not the family size bag, either.  No chip dip, nothing else for 9 adults and two toddlers.  Of course, we knew from prior experience that they wouldn't contribute much and had planned for it; but every family has at least one member that doesn't contribute their share.

Reminds me of a Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's house years ago.  She hosted big gatherings for years & years, and they were usually potlucks, with relatives, friends of friends, etc.  Mom had turkey and several sides, pies, all homemade.  One of my sister-in-law's friends came, and her contribution was one can of olives (for 12 people.)  Mom was amazed at her cheapness.

At family reunions, there were several who showed up with their appetite, and nothing else, not even a bag of chips.  

The Duggars put the S in Stingy.  They seem to be proud of it, too.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Reminds me of a Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's house years ago.  She hosted big gatherings for years & years, and they were usually potlucks, with relatives, friends of friends, etc.  Mom had turkey and several sides, pies, all homemade.  One of my sister-in-law's friends came, and her contribution was one can of olives (for 12 people.)  Mom was amazed at her cheapness.

At family reunions, there were several who showed up with their appetite, and nothing else, not even a bag of chips.  

The Duggars put the S in Stingy.  They seem to be proud of it, too.

Yet at the same time think nothing of dragging all 21 of them to someone else’s house/event expecting to be fed. For some people, making it big after relying on other people’s donations to feed their family would inspire them to pay it back. Not these folks. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Yet at the same time think nothing of dragging all 21 of them to someone else’s house/event expecting to be fed. For some people, making it big after relying on other people’s donations to feed their family would inspire them to pay it back. Not these folks. 

Exactly!!! I'll never forget when they surprised Anna in DC a day early, and she had to rush to get the meal ready. She should have said, "OK, JB! It'll be good to see you. But we'll be ordering pizzas tonight!" The fact that she thought she had to have the meal ready a day early just speaks volumes of JB's entitlement!

• Love 19
29 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

The fact that she thought she had to have the meal ready a day early just speaks volumes of JB's entitlement!

It really looked like episode fodder for TLC more than JB entitlement to me.  It could go either way I guess.

• Love 5
On 6/6/2018 at 4:48 PM, Lunera said:

Anna gave birth to Mason 4 days after Joe's wedding and Jill was also very pregnant at Joy's. I don't think they care how heavily pregnant and uncomfortable Kendra and Jinger are, they want a quickie wedding just before the season premiere. I'm pretty sure Kendra is due any day now. 

If it doesn't matter how big pregnant you are when your husband wants his way with you regardless of how you feel it wouldn't matter how comfortable you are when attending an event that is bound to get coverage.  I may not have mentioned this before but I HATE the term big pregnant (only using it because that is how Meechelle refers to it).

• Love 11
On 6/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Would they know the difference or just think, man this cake is kinda dry, shrug their shoulders and carry on?

• Love 9

Ugh, trust me, it kills me to defend the Duggars on anything, but with the way these people breed there's really no way to schedule a wedding without one of the daughters being in some stage of gestation. Not to mention summer is a busy season and churches get booked up quickly. You can't afford to be too picky about dates.

Okay, going off to bathe in Lysol now....

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It really looked like episode fodder for TLC more than JB entitlement to me.  It could go either way I guess.

Yeah.  I actually call bullshit that really happened anyways.  Anna's "surprise" they were going to be a day early never really convinced me.

• Love 3

Now that Baby Garrett has been born, I can see why Lauren looks pissed in that picture, the baby stole her thunder. 

Wonder how many of the Duggars left the shower to go ogle the newest blessing?