Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Blimey, she is a bit........excited.......

Before my blasted laptop gives out again (it's not even a year old, grr), is Lauren actually alive and breathing? She has exactly the same facial expression in every photo. Even in this one. It's always mildly interested, but slightly vacant. Odd.

I see that overenthusiastic one is close to the Dugwads. The ubiquious Becky Masker never fails to shock either with her boundary lacking comments there. How does she find them? She must spend every waking second trawling the net. Shudder.

Maybe that's another reason she always reminds me  a bit of Kermit the Frog. Those eyes...

download.jpg.42bef239949e2057ea995e122dc7b329.jpg

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Crisinbama said:

I think it’s mostly fiction based on the fact that the registry date is 12/31.  The media likes to make a big deal about the obfuscated dates.  They did the same thing with Joy using her October birthday as her “wedding date” on the registry.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Oh good LORD. I had heard about JB's hairspray deal, but never seen it prior to this. UGH. Mechelle tries to spin it as a practical thing, "so he doesn't have to worry about his hair all day" but it seems pretty clear it's driven by vanity. Heaven forbid a single hair be out of place.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 01/06/2018 at 6:54 PM, Sew Sumi said:

All those superflous commas, yet lack of an Oxford comma when enumerating how Lauren loves Jesus. Major SOTDRT FAIL!

Just wondering (I am not a native speaker), would an Oxford comma be absolutely necessary in this case? I checked the Wikipedia article about it and while it says that ''a majority of American style guides mandate use of the serial comma'', it also adds that some guides advise against it, or to only use it when necessary (to avoid ambiguity). That being said, it would look more elegant (to my eyes, at least), and I feel like my natural tendency would have been to use such a comma in this case.

And now I have Trisha Paytas' ''I Love You Jesus'' stuck in my head ?

Edited by PinkyCupcake
  • Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lol yeah, I get how important the Oxford comma is, particularly in some instances. Was just wondering if it would be absolutely necessary in the case of Lauren's friend's post (right before ''and strength''). Anyway

Edited by PinkyCupcake
2 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Just wondering (I am not a native speaker), would an Oxford comma be absolutely necessary in this case? I checked the Wikipedia article about it and while it says that ''a majority of American style guides mandate use of the serial comma'', it also adds that some guides advise against it, or to only use it when necessary (to avoid ambiguity). That being said, it would look more elegant (to my eyes, at least), and I feel like my natural tendency would have been to use such a comma in this case.

It's a style choice, not a grammar fail. Personally, I'm a fan of the serial comma.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, PinkyCupcake said:

And now I have Trisha Paytas' ''I Love You Jesus'' stuck in my head ?

It really does depend on the style guide. Journalism, for instance, almost always follows AP style guide and omits the Oxford comma unless it is necessary for clarity. Other style guides, like the Chicago Manual of Style, which is pretty standard for American publishers, want you to use it.

I always crack up at what the Chicago Manual of Style has to say about it: "Chicago strongly recommends this widely practiced usage, blessed by Fowler and other authorities (see bibliog. 1.2), since it prevents ambiguity." I personally prefer the Oxford comma because it is never wrong and avoids clarity issues.

To answer your question, I think the list she wrote doesn't strictly need it for the sake of clarity but personally think it would look better with one.

When I taught the Oxford comma to my students when I was teaching college composition, I would use the stripper image that @Sew Sumi linked to and explain to them the different arguments for and against it. Though I made it quite clear what my own feelings were, I didn't deduct points if there wasn't a clarity issue, though I did want my students to be consistent. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
On 6/1/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sew Sumi said:

eta: One of the planes flew from ALERT into Springdale earlier this evening. JD is now in place for the wedding. 

Sinner twin is probably doing his 2nd stint at ALERT and they flew him in for the wedding. I found it odd that he wasn't in in the mother's day video but the other twin was.

My guess is the wedding is this weekend. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wouldn't use it with kids, but I use it all the time with my JUCO students. 

Agreed!  I used it for college freshmen. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Sinner twin is probably doing his 2nd stint at ALERT and they flew him in for the wedding. I found it odd that he wasn't in in the mother's day video but the other twin was.

My guess is the wedding is this weekend. 

Hmm, Jinger is due in what 4-6 weeks?  If I remember right, at a certain point they encourage women not to fly in the last stages of pregnancy, but not sure on the week.  Would they wait so that Jinger could fly out to the wedding vs drive? But then she'd be flying out with a newborn, so either way it doesn't sound like fun for her at all.  Maybe a Sept. wedding??  By then Jinger and Kendra will have given birth and have a bit of time to recover.  But that would be sensible and I just remembered who we're talking about.  Carry on.  I'm sure one of the girls going into major labor during the wedding would one boost teevee ratings in Boob's mind.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm sure one of the girls going into major labor during the wedding would one boost teevee ratings in Boob's mind.

Anna gave birth to Mason 4 days after Joe's wedding and Jill was also very pregnant at Joy's. I don't think they care how heavily pregnant and uncomfortable Kendra and Jinger are, they want a quickie wedding just before the season premiere. I'm pretty sure Kendra is due any day now. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Kendra's due date is Father's Day. No wedding that weekend; Boobchelle will be in California.

I can't see Boob allowing a wedding on father's day - you know, his day to be celebrated as the best dad in the world - yuck.

• Love 4

I read somewhere (and now can't find it again) that the wedding is June 30, becausr  the it's between the two deliveries.

I guess that would make sense. Of course, it doesn't work if Kendra delivers late or Jinger early. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, beckie said:

I read somewhere (and now can't find it again) that the wedding is June 30, becausr  the it's between the two deliveries.

I guess that would make sense. Of course, it doesn't work if Kendra delivers late or Jinger early. 

I think that date comes from Pickles .

34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm sure JB is hoping one or both will deliver at the wedding.

That would be the only way ratings would be good! Boob knows nobody really cares about the Josiah / Lauren wedding. I wonder if people would have cared about the Josiah / Marjorie wedding! I could see that one making more of a splash, with her personality. 

• Love 7

I was thinking about the title of this thread, and the sad thing is that no, he doesn't have to marry somebody. He may think he does, and he may not have any frame of reference, or any role models to show him that he doesn't, but he just doesn't.  Of course, if he wants to retain the approval of his family while gaining some autonomy, he does have to marry, and he knows that much. I'm sure that it's just as wildly inconceivable to Lauren that she doesn't have to marry him just because their daddies think it's a good idea.

I hope that the two of them are really into each other and that their chemistry just doesn't register on film.

• Love 13
(edited)

I'd think they'd want to get them married as soon as possible, because in their world marriage leads directly to babies, and with Kendra & Jinger both due soon, and none of the other girls having announced new pregnancies, they'd want Lauren knocked up as soon as possible to keep people interested.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 15
(edited)
8 minutes ago, kalamac said:

I'd think they'd want to get them married as soon as possible, because in their world marriage leads directly to babies, and with Kendra & Jinger both due soon, and none of the other girls having announced new pregnancies, they'd want Lauren knocked up as soon as possible to keep people interested.

I would say that this is an awful and cynical thing to say, except that it's so very true . . . 

Edited by cmr2014
fix grammar
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

I was thinking about the title of this thread, and the sad thing is that no, he doesn't have to marry somebody. He may think he does, and he may not have any frame of reference, or any role models to show him that he doesn't, but he just doesn't.  Of course, if he wants to retain the approval of his family while gaining some autonomy, he does have to marry, and he knows that much. I'm sure that it's just as wildly inconceivable to Lauren that she doesn't have to marry him just because their daddies think it's a good idea.

I hope that the two of them are really into each other and that their chemistry just doesn't register on film.

I think that Josiah hasn't been happy in a long time.  After all he was the one that ran out of the room when Meechelle announced the last pregnancy and then spent a long time at ALERT.  I think he has also realized that the only way out of that house for him is to get married.  That way he can get leave and cleave and get the hell out of there.  Hopefully he has a plan to support his family but who knows.  I just hope they can both find happiness.

• Love 24
(edited)
14 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Carry on.  I'm sure one of the girls going into major labor during the wedding would one boost teevee ratings in Boob's mind.

14 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm sure one of the girls going into major labor during the wedding would one boost teevee ratings in Boob's mind.

I can imagine him looking for a date that would let him try for three. .... hyuk hyuk hyuk 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, kalamac said:

Am I the only ones who doesn't find most babies particularly interesting? Big yawn.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Am I the only ones who doesn't find most babies particularly interesting? Big yawn.

1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

With ya!

Me three.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

15 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Me three.

I find puppies and kittens cuter, more interesting and I think they smell better, but that's me.

• Love 19
22 hours ago, lianau said:

I think that date comes from Pickles .

Could be. Although I've never been to the Pickles site. Seems like I remember reading it in one of those random articles on Facebook. Maybe they got the date from the Pickles site.

• Love 1

Have we seen any video of Lauren and Josiah, other than a 10 second clip?

I have no idea but Lauren appears to be a quiet, reserved girl.  Maybe that is why they don't seem to have strong chemistry because she is so laid back?  

18 hours ago, Marigold said:

Have we seen any video of Lauren and Josiah, other than a 10 second clip?

We don't see much of Joe and Kendra or Joy and Austin, either. I have a feeling that despite JB's best efforts the Duggars are going to end up off air due to the adult children's lack of interest in continuing to have their lives displayed for all to see. Jessa is trying her darndest to keep up her end, Jill's husband is killing their brand, and Jinger & Jeremy's social media presence mostly points out how different their lives are from the rest of the Duggar clan. If Joe & Kendra were really interested in keeping the brand alive we would have been buried in cutesy posts and clips showing them setting up their first home, getting ready for their baby, and hashtagging their love for one another. The few posts we get from Joy & Austin have the feel of being pressured to get them up to make JB happy. If they really want the show to continue, the rest of the married couples are going to have to take their cue from Jessa and show everyone how happyhappyhappy they are.

• Love 19

I was looking yesterday and I can't find an instagram for Joe and/or Kendra at all.  But I agree, they could be drowning us in cuteness which would deflect from the crazyness of Jill and Derelick.  But they seem to be silent.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Is the wedding tonight? I can't remember when JB's & M's speaking engagements are.

One source says it will be on the 21st, which is a Thursday night.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, marypat57 said:

Hmmmmm...I seem to remember that June 21 is Jill and Derick's wedding anniversary....

Do you think that they would object to sharing an anniversary with Josiah and Lauren?)

Don't give them ideas. They may just go up on the altar and push Josiah and Lauren out of the way and do a dip-kiss. It IS their anniversary, you know!

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Hmmmmm...I seem to remember that June 21 is Jill and Derick's wedding anniversary....

Do you think that they would object to sharing an anniversary with Josiah and Lauren?)

Jinger got married on Spurgie's birthday. Joe got engaged at Joy's wedding. I'm thinking that a shared anniversary would be no big deal.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Wedding shower 

04347fe4-07a1-4198-895f-76d56ff1017a.jpg

e8c811a5-52bd-4328-a383-b9baf6f564ee.jpg

There was this big roll of brown paper at my old job. It was to wrap mail packages in, not for table runners. 

Actually, we did occasionally use it for food related purposes. 

• Love 4