Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I actually went to customer service at Kohl's to point out that the sign in the PETITES department should  not be spelled PETITES' (in foot-high letters, I might add).  They dropped the apostrophe when they remodeled.

Please come sit next to me. This is the sort of thing I would do.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Please come sit next to me. This is the sort of thing I would do.

I was in traffic behind a work truck advertising XXX and Son's, Painter's. I emailed to point out the error, but got no response. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

This is well worth the sidebar into OT-ness, I promise:  back in college in the 90's, I once passed a young black girl on the street in NYC.  On her young frame, she was proudly sporting a Janet Jackson tour tee shirt, with the legend:

"That's the Way Love Go's" (sic).  

I had to fight back the urge with all the willpower I possessed, not to tap her on the shoulder and say "Uh, girlfriend, anyone who can spell is going to know you never went to that concert, and thus ruin the cred you are trying to maintain by buying this bootleg shirt." 

A colleague was also bragging at their skill at picking knockoff purses on Canal Street that look "just like" the real thing; and thrust that then-ubiquitous LVMH purse at me. 

Unfortunately for her claim, the brown leather square that was facing me, quite plainly read "Louis Vitton" (sic) and not "Vuitton"; so I'd say there are some flaws inherent in her chooser.

Edited by queenanne
  • LOL 8
19 minutes ago, queenanne said:

This is well worth the sidebar into OT-ness, I promise:  back in college in the 90's, I once passed a young black girl on the street in NYC.  On her young frame, she was proudly sporting a Janet Jackson tour tee shirt, with the legend:

"That's the Way Love Go's" (sic).  

I had to fight back the urge with all the willpower I possessed, not to tap her on the shoulder and say "Uh, girlfriend, anyone who can spell is going to know you never went to that concert, and thus ruin the cred you are trying to maintain by buying this bootleg shirt." 

A colleague was also bragging at their skill at picking knockoff purses on Canal Street that look "just like" the real thing; and thrust that then-ubiquitous LVMH purse at me. 

Unfortunately for her claim, the brown leather square that was facing me, quite plainly read "Louis Vitton" (sic) and not "Vuitton"; so I'd say there are some flaws inherent in her chooser.

The bolded reminds me of when Bruhman from the Fif’ Flo’ (Martin) was hawking the “Whitty Huton Wuld Toor” t-shirts 😂

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc-z9-JfRCY9UUe_MOIBt

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

I was in traffic behind a work truck advertising XXX and Son's, Painter's. I emailed to point out the error, but got no response. 

LOL. Good for you!  Someone has to uphold grammar standards!

• Love 7

It's nice to have so many fellow grammar nerds on this website!  Here are my contributions about public correction of grammar:

I was attending the national teachers union convention in Seattle.  One night a delegation of us attended the Mariners vs Yankees game.  It was a poster/sign competion night.  I , along with some of the teachers I was with pointed out to a Mariners fan that he had used the apostrophe incorrectly.  I dug a marker from the bottom of my purse, and corrected the sign.

I was participating in a labor union march in NYC and my friend and I pointed out to a member of another union that there were errors on their sign.  They thanked us and we went on our way.

For anyone who may be interested  there is a daily grammar tip email.  You can go to "grammar tip of the day by thoughtco" to sign up.

I think that the Duggars would greatly benefit from this..

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 3/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, Zella said:

I've vandalized multiple signs at work to fix the apostrophes. Guerrilla grammar. . . . 

That reminds me that I have been known to copyedit signs in work break rooms and copy rooms to correct punctuation. I also occupied my time while my mom was having surgery more than 20 years ago by copyediting the hospital's brochures (though most of that was stylistic disagreements, as I recall).

Sorry for the OT.

On 3/28/2019 at 2:08 PM, Heathen said:

You're my hero.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

That reminds me that I have been known to copyedit signs in work break rooms and copy rooms to correct punctuation. I also occupied my time while my mom was having surgery more than 20 years ago by copyediting the hospital's brochures (though most of that was stylistic disagreements, as I recall).

Sometimes I did it guerrilla-style to avoid hurting someone's feelings while still ensuring grammatical correctness reigned. Usually the victim never even noticed. 

My RA in college, however, did notice that her whiteboard had been changed and really lost her shit over it. I could hear her hollering all the way down the hall about it. 

• LOL 13

Did she actually just sign her post "Josiah's helpmeet, Lauren"? Gag me with a spoon... There is kool-aid drinking and then there's quaffing the stuff until you choke.

• LOL 14
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Did she actually just sign her post "Josiah's helpmeet, Lauren"? Gag me with a spoon... There is kool-aid drinking and then there's quaffing the stuff until you choke.

Help meet their genitals together until they have a baby.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

I think that's the person posting on 19 Scandals and counting (aka not lauren!)

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

That makes me want to throw up, and I have a high fundie tolerance. OMG. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

I think that's the person posting on 19 Scandals and counting (aka not lauren!)

I checked the original IG post, and no, she didn't sign off as a helpmeet. Sorry.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I checked the original IG post, and no, she didn't sign off as a helpmeet. Sorry.

Oh, thank heavens for that; I thought we'd hit a new low.

• LOL 11
On 4/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, JoanArc said:

I'm just....going to leave.... this ...here.

I saw it in the news and my mind went to these two.

No you didn’t! 

Ps: I love World market and would even shop with angel in heaven baby Lauren 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I guess she doesn't realize that when window shopping, you don't actually enter the store.

Where I grew up, window shopping is like browsing.  We would go in and look around, but not intent on buying anything. Small town stores don't have big display windows, in my experience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 4/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, sleepysuzy said:

Where I grew up, window shopping is like browsing.  We would go in and look around, but not intent on buying anything. Small town stores don't have big display windows, in my experience.

Our regional terms for it are’ just looking’, ‘ just browsing’ and ‘wandering the aisles’. 

Edited by mythoughtis
10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Our regional terms for it are’ just looking’, ‘ just browsing’ and ‘wandering the aisles’. 

My absolute favorite for browsing that I still quote when I'm shopping is Rodney Dangerfield in Easy Money (the browsing joke starts around the 1:30 mark but the beginning is funny too).   I'm very sure Lauren has no clue about that movie or Rodney and her post was a nice try but if she's in the store she is definitely  browsing or just looking.  I suspect though that in that picture she's doing none of the above and the phrase she was looking for is "Posing for social media likes".    I'd like to warm up to her a bit, bring things down to a normal snark level but to me everything she does comes across as drama queen or attention seeker and I can't get past that.

Waiting for an announcement on their first baby (but second blessing) any day now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Yikes. It’s an Arkansian Muumuu.

At least it’s an actual color...a too-loud, overwhelming color, but it’s a small step up from that washed-out stuff Jill’s been hawking lately.

I dunno. Bea Arthur wouldn't have been caught dead in that schmatta.

• LOL 15
  • Love 4

Why is it Josiah can never find clothes that fit him well? Either the trousers are too long or the shirt too tight or his jacket ill fitting. This outfit could have worked for him, it's quite dapper, but instead it makes him look like a well stuffed chipolata. Is it the lack of neck?

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

Wow, that is a tragic picture. WTH are they wearing? Si's jacket is ridiculous and her dress is weird. I don't think I've seen a picture of them together where Si looks happy to be married. They always look like they are brother and sister than husband and wife.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
27 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Why is it Josiah can never find clothes that fit him well? Either the trousers are too long or the shirt too tight or his jacket ill fitting. This outfit could have worked for him, it's quite dapper, but instead it makes him look like a well stuffed chipolata. Is it the lack of neck?

Lauren must be doing a lot of fancy cooking for her hubby. Josiah's jacket and pants are at least two sizes too small. Eye traps! He's being victimized by his clothing choices. All it takes is a mirror and a clear mind to see this. Where are the Queer Eye makeover guys when you need them? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Lauren must be doing a lot of fancy cooking for her hubby. Josiah's jacket and pants are at least two sizes too small. Eye traps! He's being victimized by his clothing choices. All it takes is a mirror and a clear mind to see this. Where are the Queer Eye makeover guys when you need them? 

Best. Crossover.  Ever. 

Edited by heckkitty
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

The dress wouldn't be so bad if the length were appropriate and the sleeves short, maybe cap sleeves. At least it's a nice color. 

I don't blame them much for modesty panels if they're not Frankenstyle. I wore a cami under my V-neck sweater today. I don't like showing cleavage (plus I have a scratch on my chest that is irritated and needed to be covered). 

• Love 5

Oh my... that dress is indeed too long and not made to be worn with a t shirt. These girls need to invest in some cute, light camisoles to wear underneath their clothing if they’re feeling too “exposed”. 

And Josiah... oh my. That jacket should be longer and those pants should be looser. As for the dumb mayor of Munchkinland topnot on your head, just shave your hair off, dude! You will look soooo much better! (As would a few of your brothers). It’s not necessary to have 1970’s anchor man hair like your father. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2