Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

On 1/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, Soaper410 said:

Everyone’s marriage is different...I just hope they both are happy & don’t have kids for a while.  I think between their ages and what I perceive as other issues, kids would not be ideal right now.

Of course to prove whatever to JB, something tells me they are “trying”.

and yay for a clean house!

I hope too that God waits in giving them a blessing but didn't they say they were actively trying to get pregnant in one of the  rag sheet magazine articles a couple months back? 

A baby would give Lauren something to do though which leads me to once again ask for all of us-- what do these people do all day? 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I hope too that God waits in giving them a blessing but didn't they say they were actively trying to get pregnant in one of the  rag sheet magazine articles a couple months back? 

A baby would give Lauren something to do though which leads me to once again ask for all of us-- what do these people do all day? 

I would go crazy being at home day in and day out. Maybe that is why the men don't really work.... someone has to keep the wife company until kids come along. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Soaper410 said:

I’ve always wondered what as new housewives they do.

i mean there is only so much cooking and cleaning and decorating with Hobby Lobby signs you can do.  

I was thinking back in the day, my mom stayed home before I was born and then after. It was the norm for most women. She went shopping with friends (all us kids were always included), out for lunch, over to the neighbors for coffee, in addition to keeping house and taking care of me. Of course she didn't have to have someone with her at all times and could do as she wanted. Once I reached school age, she started to work part time, especially once I was old enough to be alone when she went full time. 

• Love 5

My mom was a stay at home mom too. But things were different back in those days (60'& 70's for me.) Household chores took much longer to get done because there were no modern conveniences like microwaves, food processors, etc.  All meals were from scratch for the most part.  No quick zap in the microwave to defrost something.  My mom was ecstatic they were given a used dryer when I came along (I'm 3rd child) so my diapers didn't have to be hung to dry like the rest of the laundry.  Don't forget permanent press was just coming into being so most items had to be ironed after being line dried. Most families had one car which Dad drove to work so there were no quick trips to the mini mart to get a forgotten item for dinner.  Add in taking care of the kids too.  So SAHM's days were busy. 

ETA: Dont want to offend any  stay at home parents whether now or back in the day. For the most part, all parents are busy no matter what your circumstances are/were.  

1 hour ago, Soaper410 said:

I’ve always wondered what as new housewives they do.

i mean there is only so much cooking and cleaning and decorating with Hobby Lobby signs you can do.  

I don't think they'll ever answer that question even tho it seems one of the ones most asked  incl from the leg humpers.  Are they allowed to have hobbies to pass their time?   I'm sure volunteering would be out of the question because of the accountability partner thing. 

I'm sure it would be hard to even have a friend to hang with, unless they're fundy too. Most people their age are doing something constructive  during the day like school, working (or both ), helping with parents & grandparents,  etc.

Edited by Barb23
Had to fix& add some things.
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

My mom was a stay at home mom too. But things were different back in those days (60'& 70's for me.) Household chores took much longer to get done because there were no modern conveniences like microwaves, food processors, etc.  All meals were from scratch for the most part.  No quick zap in the microwave to defrost something.  My mom was ecstatic they were given a used dryer when I came along (I'm 3rd child) so my diapers didn't have to be hung to dry like the rest of the laundry.  Don't forget permanent press was just coming into being so most items had to be ironed after being line dried. Most families had one car which Dad drove to work so there were no quick trips to the mini mart to get a forgotten item for dinner.  Add in taking care of the kids too.  So SAHM's days were busy. 

I’m 50’s and 60’s and, Barb, you really brought back some memories for me.  I learned to iron when I was about 8 or 9 and you ironed EVERYTHING back then. I was a terribly clumsy ironer and always managed to burn myself in some way. Permanent press was like a gift from heaven. Nowadays I mostly wear knits and if things get wrinkly the dryer is my friend!

My dad carpooled so mom would have the car 2-3 days a week most of the time, but with four kids, one of whom was my disabled baby sis, it wasn’t easy to just pick up and go. When I got home from passing my driver’s test my mom was so happy she handed me my own set of keys, a gas card and a list of errands!

• Love 17

@Barb23 and @latetotheparty traditionally, SAH wives (so women who didn’t gave children yet, or didn’t gave children at all, or had grown children) had other duties in the community.

YES to the fact that cleaning, cooking and other household chores took longer BUT these women were also the people caring for elderly parents, disabled adults within the family, assisting with the care of young children who’s parents had to work/a single parent. In that social milieu there were no commercialized day cares, adult day cares, senior centers, no meal delivery services for the sick, elderly or disabled community members etc. These women WERE that community support  

I don’t see ANY of the Duggar women (daughters or in laws) outside of JANA performing any of these tasks before they have children. I do note that Grandma Mary does a lot. 

Lauren seems to be the type that wants all the social and personal benefits of being a SAHM but none of the work that goes with it. 

• Love 19
On 1/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, Churchhoney said:

Yep. The FAA wants to make sure you can REALLY do before you teach. Good call on their part, I'd say. 

Still scary for JD and Si. I had a neighbor who was a navy pilot and when he left the navy was a instructor. He died training an inexperienced pilot to land. 😔 Hopefully, JD and Si don't train too many.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Barb23 and @latetotheparty traditionally, SAH wives (so women who didn’t gave children yet, or didn’t gave children at all, or had grown children) had other duties in the community.

YES to the fact that cleaning, cooking and other household chores took longer BUT these women were also the people caring for elderly parents, disabled adults within the family, assisting with the care of young children who’s parents had to work/a single parent. In that social milieu there were no commercialized day cares, adult day cares, senior centers, no meal delivery services for the sick, elderly or disabled community members etc. These women WERE that community support  

I don’t see ANY of the Duggar women (daughters or in laws) outside of JANA performing any of these tasks before they have children. I do note that Grandma Mary does a lot. 

Lauren seems to be the type that wants all the social and personal benefits of being a SAHM but none of the work that goes with it. 

You are so right. I get tired just thinking of all the responsibilities my mom shouldered and did with such grace. My little sister had (and continues to have) a lot of special needs and there weren’t all the services for the disabled we have now. She provided a lot of care for me grandma who lived independently but had mobility issues and didn’t drive. Grandma lived way on the other side of Detroit from us and, before the freeways went through it would take an hour just to drive over there. She was a Girl Scout leader for over fifteen years, long after my middle sister and I were in college. She wouldn’t quit until all the girls she was committed to had graduated. I could not admire her more.

I really don’t see any of the Duggar daughters or DIL displaying that kind of commitment and care for others, with the exception of maybe Jana. But then, look at their mother. Not really a role model for selflessness, despite what they’d like us to believe. I wonder how many of them actually do believe it, deep down. 

• Love 24
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That is so true! My mom was a SAHM and doesn't have kids at home anymore, so she volunteers a lot. She's the president of the woman's club here in town, and she also volunteers a lot at church. I am so proud of her!!! She really makes a difference in our community. 

• Love 11
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I realize that SAH wives back in the day had duties outside the home incl church activities & taking care of older or disabled family members.  Plenty of women had paying  jobs outside their homes too.

My point was that nowadays the Duggar newlywed (before children) wives don't  have to spend their time chopping vegetables,  ironing,  etc. like the newlywed wives did back in the day.  So that leaves them with even more time to sit around & do nothing except wait for the pee stick to turn blue. 

I think we all agree the Duggar women aren't the kind to do something constructive while waiting for the stork to come. Good lord, they even get absolved of their TTH chores when they are engaged & planning the wedding. 

They could learn from Michael Bates. She has turned her love of sewing into something constructive with her on line business. (Does she still have it? I'm hoping she does.) 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I realize that SAH wives back in the day had duties outside the home incl church activities & taking care of older or disabled family members.  Plenty of women had paying  jobs outside their homes too.

My point was that nowadays the Duggar newlywed (before children) wives don't  have to spend their time chopping vegetables,  ironing,  etc. like the newlywed wives did back in the day.  So that leaves them with even more time to sit around & do nothing except wait for the pee stick to turn blue. 

I think we all agree the Duggar women aren't the kind to do something constructive while waiting for the stork to come. Good lord, they even get absolved of their TTH chores when they are engaged & planning the wedding. 

They could learn from Michael Bates. She has turned her love of sewing into something constructive with her on line business. (Does she still have it? I'm hoping she does.) 

I guess I kind of am happy for the Duggar girls to have some downtime after marriage and before baby, since they have never gotten to be regular kids before. It's like they're getting their lazy teenage weekends in one lump sum. But I feel less amused about the ones who marry in, because they presumably have had more typical lives. And I definitely think we can all agree they are not the type to do anything productive with their time! Nor do the husbands, really. They basically pretend to work, except for Derick the first year of marriage, and JD. Such a waste of potential for the men and women! 

• Love 6
On 1/20/2019 at 10:29 AM, Barb23 said:

My mom used to go to a chicken farm, select her chicken which was alive and wait for them to butcher it. We lived in Chicago! 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My mom used to go to a chicken farm, select her chicken which was alive and wait for them to butcher it. We lived in Chicago! 

My grandmother used to do the same in Cleveland.  There was a 'chicken store' in our neighborhood, owned by a husband and wife.  My grandmother would go there, pick out her chicken from amongst the dozens in cages in the store.  The wife, who wore a bloody apron and scared me half to death, would grab the bird, go into the back room and return with a neat brown paper package containing the plucked bird.  The store closed around 1970, once the supermarket opened nearby.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My grandmother used to do the same in Cleveland.  There was a 'chicken store' in our neighborhood, owned by a husband and wife.  My grandmother would go there, pick out her chicken from amongst the dozens in cages in the store.  The wife, who wore a bloody apron and scared me half to death, would grab the bird, go into the back room and return with a neat brown paper package containing the plucked bird.  The store closed around 1970, once the supermarket opened nearby.

Yes, the time frame seems about right. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes- my maternal grandmother would do this, in chicago. She would send my mom to the butcher for “bull testicles” which would embarrass my mom to no end, this was in the 50s/60s. Given all the land the Duggars have, AND the free labor, raising food, cooking from scratch would be so easy and far cheaper. There are still 8 minor kids at home, plus the parents, and J’tyler. (Never mind the over 18s that are living there)

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes- my maternal grandmother would do this, in chicago. She would send my mom to the butcher for “bull testicles” which would embarrass my mom to no end, this was in the 50s/60s. Given all the land the Duggars have, AND the free labor, raising food, cooking from scratch would be so easy and far cheaper. There are still 8 minor kids at home, plus the parents, and J’tyler. (Never mind the over 18s that are living there)

Raising chickens for eggs has become quite popular 'round these parts and, considering how much land they have, the Duggars have more than enough room for a nice sized coop and some hens.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Raising chickens for eggs has become quite popular 'round these parts and, considering how much land they have, the Duggars have more than enough room for a nice sized coop and some hens.

My co-worker wants to do this.... and he has no children! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

My grandma did that when I was little.  I used to go with her, but it was a chicken store!  Live chicken in cages.  She picked them, he took them back, killed them and plucked.  Then she came home and I watched her pull the rest of the feathers out.  What a memory.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

This is a morbid story, but we have a massive hawk living in our neighborhood. The other day he dropped a mangled chicken carcass in my front yard. When I looked at the tag on the chicken's leg it said "Andy's High Flyers." Kind of a sad i.d. considering what happened to it...

I can't see Lauren doing any kind of animal husbandry. She seems too prissy for it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Husband’s sister does the raising chickens for eggs thing. Good times on holidays when she would take your plate to collect the leftover food on said plate “for the chickens.” Except, um, I was still eating that...

• Love 7
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Jana did have a chicken coop set up in her garden area, but she said the chickens were attacked. She didn't elaborate, but it doesn't sound like she tried again from scratch. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

This is a morbid story, but we have a massive hawk living in our neighborhood. The other day he dropped a mangled chicken carcass in my front yard. When I looked at the tag on the chicken's leg it said "Andy's High Flyers." Kind of a sad i.d. considering what happened to it...

I can't see Lauren doing any kind of animal husbandry. She seems too prissy for it.

Its morbid, but its probably more natural than what would have happened to the chicken. 

No way Lauren would be out collecting eggs! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jana did have a chicken coop set up in her garden area, but she said the chickens were attacked. She didn't elaborate, but it doesn't sound like she tried again from scratch. 

Seems to me from pictures they were kind of trying to make that chicken yard look decorative. If you want eggs, want to allow the chickens to roam a bit outside their coop and don't want to be replacing them every week or so, decorative won't do it.

I had a neighbor with backyard chickens. They used very tough wire mesh all around the chicken yard, over the yard and a foot or so under the ground, too. They learned the hard way to do that after earlier attempts -- like with chicken wire overhead -- proved that it takes heavy-duty materials and a tightly constructed barrier to keep the chickens in and keep both predators and small chicken-feed-eating interlopers like rodents and small birds out. ....

Having their own egg-producing facility is much too big a job -- and investment, probably -- for Duggars.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

Is Lauren really at home all day by herself?

I assumed Josiah was home (since the adult Duggar boys don't seem to really "work") and Lauren was busy being his accountability partner now that he has access to the internet, etc.  

If Lauren is at home by herself all day, good for her.  The girl has probably never been alone for the day ever in her life before she married. Her house looks clean, so she's at least keeping house well.  Maybe she'll finally get some silence for a bit after years of living in a house full of siblings.  Maybe she'll watch some streaming television/movies or read books online that aren't the Bible.  Maybe she'll see what a mess this all is and get herself (and Josiah) out of the Fundie life somehow. (I doubt it, but maybe....)  

• Love 19
15 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Is Lauren really at home all day by herself?

I assumed Josiah was home (since the adult Duggar boys don't seem to really "work") and Lauren was busy being his accountability partner now that he has access to the internet, etc.  

If Lauren is at home by herself all day, good for her.  The girl has probably never been alone for the day ever in her life before she married. Her house looks clean, so she's at least keeping house well.  Maybe she'll finally get some silence for a bit after years of living in a house full of siblings.  Maybe she'll watch some streaming television/movies or read books online that aren't the Bible.  Maybe she'll see what a mess this all is and get herself (and Josiah) out of the Fundie life somehow. (I doubt it, but maybe....)  

My guess is that she goes to the TTH or back to her parents house after she wipes the counters, etc.  Then around supper time says "have to go home and make dinner for Siah"

• Love 8

I live in a large city I had some neighbors that had chickens for a year or two maybe.  They didn't do very well keeping them in their yard. The chickens learned to hop over the chain linked fence. What I didn't realized until it was too late - the chickens were leaving eggs in my backyard! like A LOT! One batch left near my backdoor I was able to do the egg test and see if some were still good, I knew they hadn't been out there too long. But another batch was found out near my garden after many hot days and I didn't trust any of those. 

And then the chickens got more brave and would wander across the street.....  I even told the guy "uhh do you know your chickens are able to get out of your yard??"  I was more worried about them getting hit by cars on our street.  Then one day the chickens were gone and shortly after those people moved. phew!

• Love 1

He bought the house back when they still lived in DC, so I don't remember how large the house is, only that he paid around $60-70k for it. Typical Duggar fixer-upper real estate. They of course sped up renos once Smuggar was deposed from the FRC. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Josiah is 'renting' his house from Grandma Duggar most likely. They were taught under no circumstances, be in debt. A married man should already have his house bought and paid for BEFORE he proposes to anyone. How did this rule and many others suddenly change and it be 'ok'? Who is Josiah renting this house from????

• Love 9

I like Lauren's decorating style, I think she's got an eye for it. Unlike the usual dour and drab with heavy dark furniture Duggar style it is very light and plain, if a little impersonal. Though that could be because she's too young to have actually collected anything interesting for her home yet. Everything looks brand new. I can't get over the lack of art though. There are frames all over the place but when you look closer there are just a bunch of random words inside them. Is art prohibited in fundieland? I don't think I've seen any kind of artwork in a Duggar household aside from those horse drawings that Bin made for Jessa.

• Love 12

I think she did a nice job. It's not my taste, but it looks nice. It also looks like she put it together on a modest budget -- which I mean as a compliment. There's a difference between buying junk because it's cheap, and purchasing the best quality you can afford, and working to make your dollar go farther.

• Love 16

I've seen several of those decorations at Hobby Lobby and they're relatively inexpensive. I think Lauren did a nice job on the room. She seems to favor a clean, simple look.

I agree Si is most definitely grifting renting a Duggar-owned property. He can't even tell the viewing audience what he does for work. I doubt he makes much of anything puttering around for Boob. 

• Love 11