Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

My late cat did the same thing too in his younger years. I used to put my manger scene under the tree, but after he became "part of it", it went elsewhere. My cat also used to barf on the tree skirt every year. 

I have to agree, they don't seem that exciting. Whatever spirit Josiah had was taken out of him in ALERT. 

I love when my cats played in the tree, of course I could do without the barfing, tho!!  I loved when my little kittens would bat the ornaments around and even knock the tree over.  Now, my girls just like to lay under the tree and pretend they are the presents!!  

I feel bad for Josiah.  I wish he had married someone who was fun and would show him a little affection.  Poor thing!!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

She's aiming for her own fundie Christian version of the Donna Reed Show. There's no other explanation.

Not to nit pic ....Donna Reed's character was a trained nurse who in the early shows did some nursing.  She also was involved not only with her family but was often involved in charity and other community organizations.

June Cleaver, however, seemed to do not much more than clean house while wearing pearls and fret about Beaver, Wally and Ward.  I will admit since Leave It To Beaver is my absolute favorite childhood show, I was never too hard on June.  At least she made breakfast for her kids and talked with them about their day. 

I won't get started on Margaret Anderson or Harriet Nelson, though Ricky Nelson sure was hot.

• Love 14

My cats like to get UNDER the tree skirt. It always is a giant mess, but they’re happy. This is the first time in ten years that I didn’t have to tether the tree to the wall. Guess they’ve given up climbing... 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Not to nit pic ....Donna Reed's character was a trained nurse who in the early shows did some nursing.  She also was involved not only with her family but was often involved in charity and other community organizations.

Hey! Lauren married 'Siah. That's charity enough, amirite?

I'm going to go to Hell when I die...

• Love 14
39 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Poor June has been relentlessly mocked for doing her housework in pearls and high heels when it wasn't really her fault. Barbara Billingsley wore flat shoes around the house at first, but when Tony Dow and Jerry Mathers hit their growth spurts and started to shoot up, the producers demanded that Billingsley always wear high heels so that she would appear taller than the boys. And she wore the pearls to cover up a scar on her neck.

Good to know!  I've watched that show since the 60's, and didn't know about the heels and pearls.  I did read that Hugh Beaumont was a chain smoker IRL.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Barbara Billingsley certainly got her revenge on all the tv moms with her hilarious cameo in the movie,  Airplane!

JUst looked this up. I never realized that was her. Bahaha That makes it even better. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Mine came down yesterday. New kitten this year. My old late cat didn't care much about it, this one thought it was his new toy. I had it half decorated and he still grabbed ornaments. It came down once and was held in place by weights. I hope he is better next year, I missed having a nice tree. 

Amazingly, my kitten did not pay any attention to the tree.  Maybe because my older cat doesn't, either.  I used cat-proof ornaments this year just to be sure, as most of my tree decorations are over 100 years old.  She was not attracted at all.  Maybe next year I can use my "good" ornaments.  By the way, there are some beautiful shatter-proof ornaments available that are really inexpensive.

• Love 2

Actually, I watched the video again, and Lauren does say she loves him back, but she whispers it so it's hardly audible. Maybe Michelle taught her that the more someone angers you, the more quietly you speak?

• Love 17
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Amazingly, my kitten did not pay any attention to the tree.  Maybe because my older cat doesn't, either.  I used cat-proof ornaments this year just to be sure, as most of my tree decorations are over 100 years old.  She was not attracted at all.  Maybe next year I can use my "good" ornaments.  By the way, there are some beautiful shatter-proof ornaments available that are really inexpensive.

I used the few non-breakable ones I had. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Josiah confirmed in the comments of the plane pics that he and JD are licensed pilots and that Jer is working on it.

I forget. Did JD actually get a commercial license at some point? If not, I'm baffled about why JB wants so many pilots. Surely they can't have enough "friends" they pretend to transport for free to warrant having this many pilots who aren't licensed to actually take paying passengers. 

And if they can't make money with this venture, I can't imagine why JB would support it. He certainly wouldn't do it just because his boys enjoy flying. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not commercial, but an instructor license.

Well, then, he must have snuck out with a commercial or an airline transport license (unlikely, cause it's a step beyond commercial even) when we weren't looking. Because you can't even enter training for an instructor certification without having one of those first. 

Which means JD actually has the ability to escape JB's grasp into a real job. Interesting. I'm still amazed JB would allow it. When the heck did that happen, I wonder? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, then, he must have snuck out with a commercial or an airline transport license (unlikely, cause it's a step beyond commercial even) when we weren't looking. Because you can't even enter training for an instructor certification without having one of those first. 

Which means JD actually has the ability to escape JB's grasp into a real job. Interesting. I'm still amazed JB would allow it. When the heck did that happen, I wonder? 

JD managed to curry some public favour with the whole "I have to be the big brother now" after Smuggar's various scandals and the courtship/marriage with Abbie. He was probably rewarded accordingly.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I forget. Did JD actually get a commercial license at some point? If not, I'm baffled about why JB wants so many pilots. Surely they can't have enough "friends" they pretend to transport for free to warrant having this many pilots who aren't licensed to actually take paying passengers. 

And if they can't make money with this venture, I can't imagine why JB would support it. He certainly wouldn't do it just because his boys enjoy flying. 

They can save money by flying used [planes]  and saving the difference (between buying so many airline tickets). 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 8

Thanks for the correction. I do believe that he also got his instructor's license. I wasn't aware that for the instruction JD is likely doing in small planes that he would also require commercial certification.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Thanks for the correction. I do believe that he also got his instructor's license. I wasn't aware that for the instruction JD is likely doing in small planes that he would also require commercial certification.

Yep. The FAA wants to make sure you can REALLY do before you teach. Good call on their part, I'd say. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

They can save money by flying used [planes]  and saving the difference (between buying so many airline tickets). 

Do they really save though? Fuel, storage and upkeep of a plane is costly. Commercial airlines are not extremely profitable. With some of JD's quick jaunts here and there I wonder if the even break even in regard to not flying commercial.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Do they really save though? Fuel, storage and upkeep of a plane is costly. Commercial airlines are not extremely profitable. With some of JD's quick jaunts here and there I wonder if the even break even in regard to not flying commercial.  

Tax write off. Gaggle of otherwise unemployable young men. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Just like Amy's boutique. 

Workin' the tax laws for a living. It's the godly way. Render unto Caesar, my aunt Fanny. 

I forgot, they need to look busy, too. I'm sure the easy travel is nice. They people are going to have such hard lives in the next 10-15 years.

• Love 4

The way I've always understood it, tax write-offs just decrease taxable income. It doesn't mean you get something for free or are reimbursed fully with a tax refund for it. Also tax write-offs are for business expenses. Is JD running a business with his plane? 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The way I've always understood it, tax write-offs just decrease taxable income. It doesn't mean you get something for free or are reimbursed fully with a tax refund for it. Also tax write-offs are for business expenses. Is JD running a business with his plane? 

JD doesn't own the plane or the business, Jim Bob does.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

It's a for profit functioning business though?

As far as we know, there is a business, Duggar Aviation, I think it's called, that is registered with the state.  How functional or profitable it might be is not something we can know at this point.

• Love 6

The cost of keeping a plane will not pay for itself as a tax write-off for JB. I'm guessing JD spends much of his TLC money on the plane. It'll be interesting to see if he spends less time flying when he and Abbie buy a home and start a family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Jim Bob seems to be. No reason for him to have bought up a fleet of used planes otherwise, seems to me. Or -- now -- to have one son with an actual commercial license and more sons in an apparent Duggar Pilot Pipeline.

Everything I say here is fantasy and could turn out to be complete bullshit, of course.

But one possibility is that he rents out those old planes he has to pilots who don't own their own planes or have planes in the shop at the moment but still want to fly. I'm told that you can do reasonably well with that because there are lots of small-craft pilots out there who don't own their own planes or don't own them at the moment but would love to rent a plane so they can get into the air once in a while.

They've also been known to fly people in their circle around the country and, I expect, charged for it (I truly truly cannot imagine JB NOT charging more than "Hey, let's share the gas and airport-fee costs," can you? Flying people around out of the goodness of his heart? Yeah, me neither.)  -- and maybe they included that in the business plan and the financial accounting. ....

My guess would be that if they did that they skated too close to trouble with the FAA over it, since it's not permitted. They had no licensed commercial pilots -- so they weren't actually allowed to take money. So they had to get one -- hence JD's two-plus-year-old commercial license. 

On the tax question -- Jim Bob has fraternized with Kent Hovind, an evangelical Young-earther guy known for tax-evasion schemes and other financial shenanigans -- a sort of sovereign-citizen sort who specializes in finding reasons why he -- and others, notably conservative Christians -- shouldn't pay taxes and shouldn't have to pay taxes. Just generally a guy who tries to get money in shady ways, often using lawsuits and who's also been known to "advise" other people about doing this kind of thing, too. Lots and lots of "advice' about how to avoid taxes, etc. It's their right, perhaps, because they're so godly that they're under god's law and not man's law? . ... Hmmmm? Frivolous arguments and lawsuits to evade responsibility and get the courts to force other people to pay you money for harms they may or may not have done you? Does that sound familiar, when we think of, say, JB and, say, Josh? 

In 2015, Jim Bob made (some) news when he was among a VERY SMALL coterie of people who went to PICK UP Hovind and triumphantly drive him home after his final stint in prison for a 2006 conviction...... So .... does that strongly suggest that JB is a devotee of Hovind and his "financial advice" and his passion for evading taxes and finding other ways to use laws to get cash? Seems to me it's an open-and-shut-case on that when you think of the money-grubbing, lying, arrogant grifter (with nearly 40 dependents or near-dependents) that Jim Bob is! 

Here they are together -- https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2015/07/11/raw-story-notices-when-kent-hovind-seen-with-jim-bob-duggar/#2bdb2bfd6595

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Don't they all get sick easily when flying? I could have sworn they showed in an episode how they hated to fly because they got airsick. Am I mistaken on that? Does airsickness not come into play when one is the pilot rather than the passenger?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, beckie said:

Don't they all get sick easily when flying? I could have sworn they showed in an episode how they hated to fly because they got airsick. Am I mistaken on that? Does airsickness not come into play when one is the pilot rather than the passenger?

That was on the long-ago Duggars Hit the Road special. Johannah was the baby then, so it was 13 years ago. There were many Duggars a-barfing on their scenic flight over the Grand Canyon. 

• Love 14

Is JD running a business with his plane? 

I could see Jim bob wanting to start a flight academy. He also knows a lot of fundies who might need air transport. Why buy a stinkbus when you can Fly The Duggar Skies charter service to go to your church speaking gigs. I'd imagine he'd love to fly Arkansas politicians, and other influential people around, too. I guess the boys having decent skills doesn't threaten Jim bob's manhood, as long as he's the big boss.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I could see Jim bob wanting to start a flight academy. He also knows a lot of fundies who might need air transport. Why buy a stinkbus when you can Fly The Duggar Skies charter service to go to your church speaking gigs. I'd imagine he'd love to fly Arkansas politicians, and other influential people around, too. I guess the boys having decent skills doesn't threaten Jim bob's manhood, as long as he's the big boss.

He could start Duggar Bible College, just like Moody with their missionary pilot program, like the one Tim Rodrigues is enrolled in.  I'll bet there's the potential to make loads of money and families like the Rods who want to get their foot in the door with the Duggars would pay big bucks to attend.  I shouldn't give Boob any ideas. 

• Love 8

Everyone’s marriage is different...I just hope they both are happy & don’t have kids for a while.  I think between their ages and what I perceive as other issues, kids would not be ideal right now.

Of course to prove whatever to JB, something tells me they are “trying”.

and yay for a clean house!

• Love 9

Israel is sooo tall. The picture of him sitting next to Josiah, he looks 7 or 8 to me -- I bet he's as tall as Josie.

Not only is the house clean, but Izzy's hair is brushed, too. I wonder if they all cleaned up for the visit or if Aunt Lauren ran a comb through his hair.

• Love 7