Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Victory Party

Robbie's two worlds collide at a house party where his football teammates face off with the drama troupe; Tracey reluctantly explores a new relationship with a not-so-secret admirer; a family road trip to visit Gail's sister goes sideways.

I can't stand Gordy. I don't know if we're supposed to sympathize with a kid with problems, but it have none for him. I don't blame the rest of the family adoring the homeless kid. The show would be better without him and just focus on the theater kids and the adults around them.

• Love 4

And, on another week of Lou Is The Worst....well, Lou is literally the worst. At least now, I'm positive we're supposed to at least believe that he's not some saint of a teacher. I mean, his eldest kid sucks and is a total brat, but Lou isn't helping matters in any sense. His insistence to not listen to anyone about the lights, his behaviour with Tracey in general, his clear ulterior motive for Kranepool to ask Tracey out, and then his mishandling with Gordy, he's just pretty awful. At least his wife wasn't impressed by his attitude. I feel so bad for his wife; she clearly deserves better than her dumbass husband, at this point. 

In other news, Robbie struggles with his football life clashing with his theatre life, Robbie's dad is trying to interfere in his son's romantic life by crossing a line, and Lilette is a poor fifteen year old romantic who at least got a kiss out of Robbie. 

Simon had some nice moments this episode. I'm surprised he's still supposedly leaving.

And, to finish off this, Lou. Is. The. Worst. That's all.

• Love 9
(edited)

All the main adults are pretty awful except Tracey, and I don't mind Gwen most of the time.

Edited because I learned Lou's wife is named Gail and not Gwen.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2

I admit, I kind of laughed when all the drama kids were all having their sing along, and the football kids just looked baffled. Really, if the drama kids just wanted to hang out together and sing and drink, they could have just hung out on their own and avoided all this drama. Also, was Robbins dad actually hosting a booze high school party? Great role model there. And being mean to poor Lilette and acting like shes the Yoko of the high school football team. 

Simon had some nice scenes, I am now pretty sure his mom is going to stop him from going off to Catholic school. Although, does his dad really think that Catholic school kids have dont have parties or drink? What kind of Catholic school did he go to?!?!

Lou really is insufferable, and I am starting to think its on purpose. The guy is so ridiculously self obsessed and so clearly sees himself as the star of the world, the show has to be aware of what a prick he is. It has to. I cant even bring myself to feel bad for him dealing with his messed up kid. 

• Love 6

Robbie's dad has his priorities all wrong but he is HOT. Call me, Robbie's dad!

This really is Friday Night Lights 2.0. The "rally girls," the game was filmed the same way, the sophomore QB caused the team to lose game they should have easily won, etc. I think even the announcer was the same one they used for FNL games.

Robbie and Lilette are so cute.

I cracked up at Gordy looking out the window all pissed.

Lou is the WORST.

• Love 6
(edited)

I expected the scene outside Tracy’s house to end with her walking through the door to reveal the reason she’s “very single” (kid, elderly parent, special needs adult sibling, hoarding issue, whatever).  

I can totally believe that Robbie’s dad is the type to (figuratively) look the other way while kids party at his house, but didn’t buy that he’d literally be standing there while kids poured booze into their Solo cups, then make the tiniest feeble effort to stop the drunken teens from driving.  

And Gordy’s convincing Lou to let him have cousin time?  So Lou is not only insufferable, but also gullible/a complete dumbass?  A great combination. 

Edited by reallyjustjen
  • Love 5

Robbie's dad should have been taking the car keys from the kids as they entered his house if he was letting them get served alcohol. And he was being overdramatic with Lillette. Robbie was dating/had a girlfriend before this football game and it is a huge leap in logic that he thinks that why Robbie played so badly in the game because he likes a new girl. That would make more sense if the kids were actually dating for a bit and Robbie would have distracted/missed practice because of her.

Lou only likes the sound of his own voice and refuses to listen to anyone else. He must be so exhausting to be around. No wonder Gordy drinks. Also because he is named Gordy.

• Love 10

I don't know why Lou and his wife were even discussing whether Gordy had to go with the rest of the family to see his cousin's play in Pittsburgh. There was no question of NOT going in my family. Chad gets to stay home because he's already seen his little sister in Cats. Gordy has not, hence Gordy must go to Pittsburgh AND watch Cats.

Lou's wife was being a judgmental bitch when she said that Tracy had too much time on her hands because she wasn't married with kids. STFU, Lou's wife. I've heard one too many smug condescending parents speak patronizingly about unmarried/non-parents because they somehow think that being married with kids is the pinnacle of existence. I was so glad when Tracy read him the riot act for meddling in her personal life.

Poor Andy! He really liked Tracy and she took her anger at Lou out on him. I'm glad that she agreed to go back inside and at least have dinner.

Lou needs to start listening to people like Tracy and Maashous when they tell what can and can't be done. Listen to Tracy when she tells you to work with the budget you have. And listen to Maashous when he says that the light board can't handle having two spots on at the same time. The correct response is not "It will be okay. Let's just go for it." FFS.

The looks on the football players' faces while the drama kids were singing was hilarious. I had to laugh when Robbie's dad said that ROBBIE had to do something before things got "out of hand." If the scariest thing at your teenager's party is singing, you should be happy.

Robbie's dad needs to stop trying to re-live his glory days through his son. A literal trophy room? Dude. I'm shocked that Robbie is even half as normal as he is considering how his dad glorifies Robbie's football career. And of course he thinks that he's the cool dad for letting the football team drink alcohol at his house.

He was fine with Robbie dating a rally girl/cheerleader but obviously Lilette is just a distraction since she doesn't have enough social cache. STFU, Robbie's dad.

Gordy continues to be the worst. I don't even know where to begin with all the shitty things he did in this episode.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

STFU, Lou's wife.

Does she even have a name?  Someone upthread mentioned a Gwen, is that Lou's wife?  I mean, if the writers want us to see them as Tim and Tammi v2.0 (which, no way in hell) we should at least know her name.

More after I watch the episode.

• Love 1
Just now, Haleth said:

Does she even have a name?  Someone upthread mentioned a Gwen, is that Lou's wife?  I mean, if the writers want us to see them as Tim and Tammi v2.0 (which, no way in hell) we should at least know her name.

More after I watch the episode.

Lou's wife is named Gail. They have Lou say her name once per episode so it's not surprising that no one knows her name yet.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lou's wife is named Gail. They have Lou say her name once per episode so it's not surprising that no one knows her name yet.

Oh. I was the person who wrote Gwen. I guess I don't know her name then. I was so proud of remembering another characters name too. Ha ha. 

8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Oh. I was the person who wrote Gwen. I guess I don't know her name then. I was so proud of remembering another characters name too. Ha ha. 

Hey, you remembered that it started with a G! You get partial credit!

• Love 5

Kranepool was the MVP... 

Gordy was horrible (again) 

Lou was horrible (again) 

Robbie's dad was horrible 

Robbie's teammates were horrible and stereotypical 

Robbie's drama friends were oblivious 

Lou's in-law (Leslie)  was insufferable 

Robbie and Lilette were cute.. 

Gordy was horrible (again) 

• Love 4

Whoever it was who said that hate watching this show makes it 10 times more fun was seriously right. I laughed so much during this ep!

Most of the actors are not good, but the Simon one is so bad. Just like, I'm embarrassed for him.

The only story I have a hard time hate watching for fun is the Gordy one. Just too much of a trigger warning for me. I wish it would just go away so I could enjoy how horrible this show is!

• Love 2

I, too, have started to hate watch this, and it DOES make it more fun. Turns out, it's a comedy! 

Lou is the worst. I can't believe he would be allowed to get away with what he does with the rest of the staff, as in the scene where he was directing Robbie and Lilette. No trained musician would sit there while the stage director with no experience waved his arms around telling him to play more free or to feel the music or whatever Lou was doing. When your main character is a terrible parent, a terrible director, and a terrible person, it is hard to root for him. I'd rather see a show about Rosie Perez's character, someone who genuinely seems to be a decent human being and who genuinely cares about the well-being of the kids.

I also wish they'd make up their minds about how to pronounce Mr. Mazzu. Is it Mah-ZOO, MAH-zoo, or MATZ-oo? 

I'm wondering why Shannon Purser, who had a pop culture moment and is Emmy-nominated, and Sean Grandillo, who was in the actual Broadway revival of Spring Awakening, are stuck in such thankless roles. 

• Love 11

Y'know, I thought I was hate-watching it, with all the eyerolls and internal dialogue about how they must have some checklist of what a moving HS-based drama in the 2010s must contain...and then when this episode ended, I had a genuine thought of "ah darn, is that it?".  Does that mean I'm actually secretly liking it??  *shudder*

• Love 5
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Whoever it was who said that hate watching this show makes it 10 times more fun was seriously right. I laughed so much during this ep!

47 minutes ago, bourbon said:

I, too, have started to hate watch this, and it DOES make it more fun. Turns out, it's a comedy! 

Lou is the worst. I can't believe he would be allowed to get away with what he does with the rest of the staff, as in the scene where he was directing Robbie and Lilette. No trained musician would sit there while the stage director with no experience waved his arms around telling him to play more free or to feel the music or whatever Lou was doing. When your main character is a terrible parent, a terrible director, and a terrible person, it is hard to root for him. I'd rather see a show about Rosie Perez's character, someone who genuinely seems to be a decent human being and who genuinely cares about the well-being of the kids.

YESSSSSS!!!!!! I am strictly hate/snark watching at this point, and it is great! So much about this show is cringeworthy. Most of the acting. The dialogue. Bascially every storyline and character. But when you yell out snarky comments (even though you live alone) at the screen while nursing a glass of wine, it's super fun, so I will NOT stop watching, thank you very much. 

Are we supposed to LIKE Lou? The show seems to be trying to sell him as an inspirational dreamer and amazing teacher, who is sacrificing so much and doing so much to change kids' lives (Troy Bolton Finn Hudson Robbie really wants to sing! But oh no. The sports! Lou is helping him achieve his dreams! Lilette (who really needs to buy new shorts) is getting her chance to shine because Lou is giving her a chance, OMG. Etc!) But he is insufferable. I don't know how Tracy hasn't punched him in the face multiple times by now. 

And if his son wasn't as insufferable as him, I might give a shit about his family drama. But Gordy is the worst character on this show (even worse than Lou. That is saying something), so I'm thinking that Lou and his wife should just send Gordy away because I am sick of watching him. 

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lou needs to start listening to people like Tracy and Maashous when they tell what can and can't be done. Listen to Tracy when she tells you to work with the budget you have. And listen to Maashous when he says that the light board can't handle having two spots on at the same time. The correct response is not "It will be okay. Let's just go for it." FFS.

Lou was such a jackass in that scene, yelling at Maashous and Tracy and the guy playing the music. 

I think Maashous might be the only character I really like or care about at this point. And kind of Gwen (the kid. Not Gail, Lou's wife!). It looks like they're setting up a Gwen/Gordy romance (which I called in episode 2. That's when my snark watching began.), and NOOOOOOOO to that. Gwen deserves better. 

14 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I expected the scene outside Tracy’s house to end with her walking through the door to reveal the reason she’s “very single” (kid, elderly parent, special needs adult sibling, hoarding issue, whatever).  

This show thrives on predictable cliches, so I'm surprised this didn't happen! Maybe next episode.

I miss This Is Us :(

• Love 4

I'll be honest...all I really got from this episode was that Barb from Stranger Things is one of the theater kids.  Yeah..I just noticed that (I guess I'm late to the game on that count.)

I still do not get how Lou got to be theater director.  I mean, I know how it happened--but there is no way that would ever happen.  Sigh....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AdorkableSars said:

I think Maashous might be the only character I really like or care about at this point. And kind of Gwen ...

This. Those are the only two I don't laugh at the whole time or hate with a fiery passion. Also maybe the guy who likes Simon, but he's never in the show so who knows. Actually, that's probably why I like him lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I still do not get how Lou got to be theater director.  I mean, I know how it happened--but there is no way that would ever happen.  Sigh....

I'm not even clear on that (I was distracted during the beginning of the first ep). I thought he was asking for it because the person doing it was leaving, but she's still there, so I was confused why they would even give him a job that wasn't actually open. Or did I miss something else? (And that he can scrap what they had already started rehearsing for to do a clearly controversial-for-high-school show with no approval from the administration?)

Also, Maashous is in the foster system, right? So the foster kid is staying with him and his family, and apparently no one has bothered to tell the kid's case worker? Or did I miss that, too?

40 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm not even clear on that (I was distracted during the beginning of the first ep). I thought he was asking for it because the person doing it was leaving, but she's still there, so I was confused why they would even give him a job that wasn't actually open. Or did I miss something else? (And that he can scrap what they had already started rehearsing for to do a clearly controversial-for-high-school show with no approval from the administration?)

The person in charge left and Tracey (Rosie Perez) should have gotten the job, but it seems the principal doesn't like her so he gave the job go Lou just because he asked, nevermind that Lou had zero experience and Tracey is awesome.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

The person in charge left and Tracey (Rosie Perez) should have gotten the job, but it seems the principal doesn't like her so he gave the job go Lou just because he asked, nevermind that Lou had zero experience and Tracey is awesome.

Ahh! Okay. I thought she was already in charge. Thanks for clarifying!

Lou is the worst. The writers need to make him a little more likable or else people will continue to bail on this show. Same with whiny Gordy.

Robbie and Lilette are absolutely adorable. I can’t help liking them. Along with Tracey, they make this show tolerable.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2018 at 12:13 AM, reallyjustjen said:

I can totally believe that Robbie’s dad is the type to (figuratively) look the other way while kids party at his house, but didn’t buy that he’d literally be standing there while kids poured booze into their Solo cups, then make the tiniest feeble effort to stop the drunken teens from driving.  

Yeah, I was thinking they were gonna do something original with the "popcorn and soda machine" and Present Dad, but nope, just another cliche'd booze-a-thon, because the plot needs of the party both require (a) someone to get drunk (Gordy, Simon); and (b) a present someone to warn Lilette off of Robbie, or Robbie off of Lilette.

Which leads me to:

23 hours ago, nilyank said:

Robbie's dad should have been taking the car keys from the kids as they entered his house if he was letting them get served alcohol. And he was being overdramatic with Lillette. Robbie was dating/had a girlfriend before this football game and it is a huge leap in logic that he thinks that why Robbie played so badly in the game because he likes a new girl. That would make more sense if the kids were actually dating for a bit and Robbie would have distracted/missed practice because of her.

Another of those "puppet strings of the writers" moment(s).  Lilette has to be stopped, because clearly Robbie's dad can see she's Serious Business, whereas blonde Stephanie (?) is cannon fodder, even though Robbie's dad has never laid eyes on Lilette.  (Though I guess in this case we're supposed to fanwank that Sick Mom told Robbie's Dad she met "Robbie's girlfriend", even though it seems pretty clear the writers haven't even yet figured out how or why Robbie's Dad split with Sick Mom, because they haven't had the slightest hint of foreshadowing attached to Robbie's discussions with his father that I can recall.)  

On 4/3/2018 at 10:25 PM, Lady Calypso said:

And, on another week of Lou Is The Worst....well, Lou is literally the worst. At least now, I'm positive we're supposed to at least believe that he's not some saint of a teacher.

I thought that at first, but I linked to an interview with Rosie Perez in the Media thread where she said the showrunner was surprised when she told him viewers would be mad about Lou and how he got his job, so... maybe not?

I was loving her smacking Lou down for interfering in her life this episode until of course he ends up being right and Rosie Perez just needed a man to tell her she needed a man after all, because This Show. I know it has only been four eps and the character development is pretty bad across the board, but I do not believe her character would just go weak at the knees because some dork called her "luminous" or whatever and praised her teaching. 

I didn't go to high school in the US, but would theater kids really be at a football game cheering? Lilette sure, she's hot for the QB, but the others?

Robbie's hot dad: Don't drink that sugary Starbucks drink, you're an athlete!
Also Robbie's hot dad: But go nuts on this all-you-can drink soda machine!

This episode contained almost zero musical theater.

Finally, critic Myles McNutt has an excellent twitter thread mocking this episode, but I have to single out his point that putting iced cupcakes in a basket is lunacy that can only end in squished cupcakes.

• Love 5

Another Insufferable Lou episode.  I only watch for Rosie Perez now.

I'm still wondering if we are supposed to like Lou, as they usually don't throw the lead character under the bus on shows like this.  Robbie's dad is another idiot, hosting an alcohol party for teenagers who are driving cars.  The legal drinking age in Pennsylvania is 21.  Are these adults supposed to be role models?  The only decent one in the bunch is "very single" Miss Wolfe.  I don't know about Carpool or what his name is but hopefully he and Miss Wolfe can have a nice relationship and he isn't as much of a ding dong as the rest of the adults.

21 hours ago, retrograde said:

I thought that at first, but I linked to an interview with Rosie Perez in the Media thread where she said the showrunner was surprised when she told him viewers would be mad about Lou and how he got his job, so... maybe not?

I was loving her smacking Lou down for interfering in her life this episode until of course he ends up being right and Rosie Perez just needed a man to tell her she needed a man after all, because This Show. I know it has only been four eps and the character development is pretty bad across the board, but I do not believe her character would just go weak at the knees because some dork called her "luminous" or whatever and praised her teaching. 

I didn't go to high school in the US, but would theater kids really be at a football game cheering? Lilette sure, she's hot for the QB, but the others?

Robbie's hot dad: Don't drink that sugary Starbucks drink, you're an athlete!
Also Robbie's hot dad: But go nuts on this all-you-can drink soda machine!

This episode contained almost zero musical theater.

Finally, critic Myles McNutt has an excellent twitter thread mocking this episode, but I have to single out his point that putting iced cupcakes in a basket is lunacy that can only end in squished cupcakes.

Not enough time because of football game.  I thought I was watching Friday Night Lights and I've never even seen one episode of that show!

Myles McNutt's twitter thread is funny and true, right on!

From what I've seen so far, my dime-store psychology degree tells me that Lou Mazoo is suffering from a mid-life-crisis-induced psychosis of delusions of grandeur.  I disagree that his alkie son is the worst on the show, Lou is because he is an adult who should know better and has more life experience.  Yes, no wonder Gordy drinks.

I don't think Simon is fully accepting of his gayness yet.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, retrograde said:

I can't speak for all American high school kids, but for me, the short answer is yes. At my high school (which was pretty large - I had almost 1000 students in my freshman class so there were over 3000 total students), everyone went to the football games, even people who didn't like football, regardless of how well our football team was doing that year (some years we went to CIF playoffs, other years it wasn't even close). Athletes from other sports, non-athletes, the popular kids, the non-popular kids, and yes, even the drama kids who didn't have crushes on the quarterback - just about everyone was there whether it was because they actually cared if the team won or if they were just there to look for cute boys/girls from afar. When everyone else cheers, you just scream along with them and then go back to whatever you were talking about.

My freshman year in college, I went to a very small private school that was D3 (meaning no football scholarships and our team sucked) and you could find just about everyone at football games there too. Even people who didn't like football or sports went because it was a social activity. Some people just went to hang out before the parties start.

Unfortunately, this was not true of all sports, not even the sports that my high school and college were really good at. Even though my high school had several sports that won CIF championships almost every year, their games/meets were not as highly attended. I think it's partly because football is always a weekend thing. In high school, it's always Friday night which makes it an expected social activity, and at least half the games are on campus at the stadium so you know exactly where to go. Other sports have more sporadic schedules, playing on weeknights, not having games/meets every week, etc. so if you want to go, you have to find the schedule for that sport (the football team always had a little card with all of their games listed, including whether they were home or away while the other sports did not have anything official like that).

I didn't think it was surprising that Lilette and the other drama kids went to the football game. It's the kind of thing that's a group activity but gives you the flexibility to socialize as much or as little as you want to. If you want to talk to your friends during the game, you can since it's loud (unlike, say, going to a movie and talking the entire time). But if you don't want to talk to anyone, you can just act like you're really into the game.

At my high school, our teachers always encouraged us to be supportive of each other's activities. For example, when I was on the dance team, one of our other members was on the basketball team so our advisor reminded us that the team was going to the playoffs and said that we should go to support her. Several of us were in the spring musical, so she encouraged everyone to go see it. It wasn't mandatory and she didn't do it in a threatening way like YOU WILL GO OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES but all of the activities I was involved in were like that. Obviously Lou has his head so far up his ass that he wouldn't think to tell his students something like that, but I can see Tracey reminding them that they're a team and to be supportive of their fellow teammates.

• Love 2

All y'all can have Robbie's dad because I'm over here eyeing that silver fox dad that Simon has. Sure he's a judgemental inflexible gay-hating Christian -- but so handsome!

Also, I love musical theatre and yet, I can't imagine anything worse than having to watch small children perform Cats. I don't care how rich these kids are and how nice their lights are . . . I'm not sure an 8 year old could properly convey the world-weary heartbreak of Memory. 

Gordy is honestly the worst and I really just can't stand that kid. 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't think it was surprising that Lilette and the other drama kids went to the football game. It's the kind of thing that's a group activity but gives you the flexibility to socialize as much or as little as you want to. If you want to talk to your friends during the game, you can since it's loud (unlike, say, going to a movie and talking the entire time). But if you don't want to talk to anyone, you can just act like you're really into the game.

Another point--at least at my high school, the drama group was very close knit (and also very close to the "band geeks.")  If one or two of the drama kids were singing the national anthem, the entire group would DEFINITELY be there to support them--and most of them were there anyway for their friends in the marching band.

At my high school, football was THE social sport and, yeah, everyone went to the games--although maybe not to watch the games.  We always had dances immediately following the games, which most people attended.  As for football over any other sport: again at our high school, this was the case.  However, that might be because football was the only sport that ONLY had games on Friday nights.  All other sports had games on weeknights (although Basketball sometimes also had Friday games).  It's much harder to have a school dance on a Tuesday.

19 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Nah.  The principal gave the job to Lou because Tracey wanted $6K to do it and Lou said he'd do it for $2K.  Smart principal just saved $4K for the jumbo tron.

Gordy may be the worst, but surely he's going to turn into Riggs 2.0, right?

Why were none of the football players' girlfriends at the party?

Now I'll watch for the sweet Tracy and Cranepool romance.

22 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Nah.  The principal gave the job to Lou because Tracey wanted $6K to do it and Lou said he'd do it for $2K.  Smart principal just saved $4K for the jumbo tron.

Thinking back to the pilot, the principal actually gave Lou the job because he simply didn't like Tracey. I remember because Lou was rambling his case for why he should get the job before the principal handed it to him, Lou asked why, and the principal made a comment about Tracey being a pain in the ass (his whole "she was a pain in the ass as a student and still a pain in the ass" line). Though, you mentioning the money aspect does actually ring a bell. Maybe it was both for the principal. He could save money AND also hand the job to Lou in spite of Tracey for his own personal vendetta against her. 

32 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Now I'll watch for the sweet Tracy and Cranepool romance.

I'll be honest; I wasn't feeling Kranepool and thought he was going to be just another creep until he stood up for himself outside of the restaurant after Tracey walked out. I can't really explain why I thought that he'd be some stereotypical Nice Guy (the one to push for a romance and then get offended when she turned him down), but I came around with him by the end. Plus, Tracey deserves something good after getting stuck with Loser Lou (Louser?) and his giant ass ego. 

• Love 3

It was definitely both. The principal got to kill two birds with one stone.

Lou: Well, long story short, with Ms. Cordoza gone, I know you need a new head of the theater program, and, uh well, I want to throw my hat in the ring.

Principal: You want to run theater?

Lou: I know I'm not your typical charismatic theater guy, but I love theater. I always have. I know I don't have experience, and Ms. Wolfe's been here over a decade-

Principal: It's yours.

Lou: I'm sorry?

Principal: Theater. It's yours. Have at it.

Lou: What about Ms. Wolfe?

Principal: Ms. Wolfe was a pain in the ass when she was my student here, and she's still a pain in the ass.

Lou: So that's it? I don't have to be approved or anything?

Principal: I just approved you. I like this. Even-keeled Lou Mazzu. I like it. 

Later in the same episode:

Tracey: May I ask what you have directed?

Lou: Honestly, not that much.

Tracey: Well, you must have some great credits to steal this job from me, so, please, tell me.

Lou: Fiddler on the Roof, Lake Susquehannock Summer Camp junior division, 1994.

Tracey: Well, I can see that your work at Lake Shoot My Hammock trumps my 11 years of giving my blood, sweat, and tears to this program. What is Ward paying you?

Lou: Look, I don't think that's-

Tracey: I'll find out. I find out everything.

Lou: $2,000 for the year.

Tracey: I was getting $4,000. Now that explains a ton, doesn't it? They just spent 40 Gs to put new turf on that football field, but they threw their theater program out the window to save a lousy two grand. That should give you some insight into how much they think of this program. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, EdnasEdibles said:

Also, I love musical theatre and yet, I can't imagine anything worse than having to watch small children perform Cats. I don't care how rich these kids are and how nice their lights are . . . I'm not sure an 8 year old could properly convey the world-weary heartbreak of Memory. 

IDK, I currently have an 8 y/o and the ennui can get pretty intense at times! ;)

On 4/4/2018 at 1:01 AM, nilyank said:

Lou only likes the sound of his own voice and refuses to listen to anyone else. He must be so exhausting to be around. No wonder Gordy drinks. Also because he is named Gordy.

I thought that maybe Robbie's dad had an issue with Lilette (though irrationally so, and he handled it badly) because she was part of The Play That's Out to Destroy Robbie's Football Career.   I'm guessing that they're going to try to blame Robbie's off night on having divided his time between football and the play.   

Edited by reallyjustjen
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, reallyjustjen said:

I thought that maybe Robbie's dad had an issue with Lilette (though irrationally so, and he handled it badly) because she was part of The Play That's Out to Destroy Robbie's Football Career.   I'm was guessing that they're going to try to blame Robbie's off night on having divided his time between football and the play.   

I saw it as Robbie had had girlfriends in the past, but not one that he really, really liked (and one who was not sort of typical-football-player-girlfriend type) and the Dad saw Lilette as a threat that the other girls were not.  But, really, your explanation makes more sense and is less melodramatic.....

5 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

I thought that maybe Robbie's dad had an issue with Lilette (though irrationally so, and he handled it badly) because she was part of The Play That's Out to Destroy Robbie's Football Career.   I'm was guessing that they're going to try to blame Robbie's off night on having divided his time between football and the play.   

Yeah I also read it this way. I thought the look he was giving them was supposed to be, "Ah, that is why he is doing this play -- he has the hots for this girl." Mind, if she was a real teenager, his attempted guilt trip would've only served to make Lilette more determined to be with Robbie (and vice versa). Gordy may be The Worst Jr. (his dad is the OG Worst) but his instinct to do the exact opposite of what he's told at least feels realistic to me. 

• Love 2

Officially flipped to hate watching about half way through this episode.

The only decent people are the theatre kids, Simon’s sister and maybe the cousins. Oh, and the guy who fixed the lighting thing for free. Solid guy. His brother, the teacher who asked Tracey out (don’t know his name) seems okay too. Awkward with Tracey, but he seems genuine. 

Tracey is mostly okay, but what teacher would ever say  “I have to go teach sex” - especially in front of a student? Who calls sex ed just “sex?” 

I didn’t mind Gail/Gwen until she got so judgey of Tracey and said she should get a life.

And Simon’s mom might be able to somewhat redeem herself if she can stand up for her son, but that remains to be seen.

Overall, the adults in this town are just awful people. 

Edited by Jessa
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 4:09 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'll be honest...all I really got from this episode was that Barb from Stranger Things is one of the theater kids.  Yeah..I just noticed that (I guess I'm late to the game on that count.)

Well I'm extra late to the game because I didn't realize it until I read this today!