Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: My Really Fair Lady

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

As far as Liv knows, there is not an immediate ability to replicate the cure.  This is a weak point in the post-New Seattle setting. It was understandable that Ravi would not publicize his efforts on a cure because prematurely revealing the existence of zombies could have been catastrophic. But now that zombies are a known thing, there's no reason why he would not step away from his job as a ME and work full-time on a cure, collaborating with whoever to get it done.

Anyway, there is no guarantee that when a cure is widely available that all zombies would take it. Some might like being zombies, or at least want to avoid the possibility of relapsing into whatever pre-zombie diseases they might have had.

And there is no guarantee that zombies who take it would still be affected by their pre-zombie diseases.

And it isn't a cure. If he is having his (gack) "monthlies" he is full of active virus and he has no way of knowing when he is contagious (Ravi could easily have infected Peyton). Also, like a cold sore or genital herpes, if he gets an actual cold he might break out in Zombism. So if you let people out in the world, woof, one of them gets a disease that compromises their immune system and there's the zombie apocalypse. 

On the bright side this might actually work to make the person mostly human and yet keep some other diseases at bay? Hard to know which of them, though. 

I still think Ravi wants to spring his brilliant cure on the world, which is dumb and irresponsible (in my opinion). 

Do we think Fillmore Graves would help him if Ravi went to them? My impression is they would want zombie soldiers but Chase doesn't seem like he'd want the zombie children to live out their particular hell. 

• Love 1

I don't mind the smuggling and the religious group parts, they make sense. 

However I really wish Liv wasn't doing the smuggling now, because given what she knows it isn't smart and she has other more useful things she could be doing. 

As a huge Crazy Ex Girlfiend fan, I was shocked to see Rachel Bloom and then super stoked. Then I spent the whole episode waiting for the main-cast musical number that never came. So uh, that was deflating.

Yay Weevil I guess?

17 hours ago, Affogato said:

Um? because it takes too long to grow them, like 18 years until harvest?

That's only to get them with the kind of content the restaurants want. As a mass food source, they can grow just what they need (without a husk), using chemicals to speed production; they won't be as tasty, but it'd just be weeks to have something harvestable.

14 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That's only to get them with the kind of content the restaurants want. As a mass food source, they can grow just what they need (without a husk), using chemicals to speed production; they won't be as tasty, but it'd just be weeks to have something harvestable.

That's kind of a big stretch to assume they could just whip up a synthetic brain substitute easily.  There was a 2009 movie called Daybreakers (set in the futuristic year of 2019!) with a similar premise.  A virus had turned most of the world's population into vampires.  With so many vampires and so few humans, there were severe blood shortages.  The beginning of the story revolves around a vampire corporation's attempts to create a synthetic blood substitute.  It takes many years and has a lot of bloody failures.

Edited by RayAdverb
19 minutes ago, RayAdverb said:

That's kind of a big stretch to assume they could just whip up a synthetic brain substitute easily.

What I had in mind was to grow real disembodied brains. The technology to grow arbitrary body parts (including that one) has existed for quite some time, but it has never been done in volume.

22 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

How would you know they wouldn't be as tasty? Hmmm?

They don't even know what part of the brain they need (and I include fluids) Perhaps they could synthesize it from animals, removing the memories of chewing cud in the process, but that would require a lot of study and experimentation. They have three d printed livers, haven't they? But would a three d printed brain work?

2 hours ago, Affogato said:

How would you know they wouldn't be as tasty? Hmmm?

They don't even know what part of the brain they need (and I include fluids) Perhaps they could synthesize it from animals, removing the memories of chewing cud in the process, but that would require a lot of study and experimentation. They have three d printed livers, haven't they? But would a three d printed brain work?

The human brain has many regions, and its functions are spread out.  A chunk of temporal lobe and a chunk of parietal lobe do different things, and have nothing in common except being brain flesh.

I wonder if anyone has even considered using animal brains.  The people on this show are remarkably stupid and single minded.  Such as the medical examiner who found a cure for zombie-ism and then promptly forgot about it completely.

• Love 1
On 10/04/2018 at 12:24 PM, Paloma said:

I'll have to rewatch because I was having trouble following some of what was going on (including whose brain Liv was on and how did that person die),

I was confused as well so I rewound it. She was a bus victim. 

On 10/04/2018 at 1:45 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I know Rachel Bloom was probably the big get for this episode (and she was fun for the brief scene she was in)

I don't actually know Rachel Bloom because I never watched Crazy Ex Girlfriend but her two minutes were so impressive that I stopped and googled her. I may even watch the show for her alone.

On 10/04/2018 at 6:16 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yay for Rachel Bloom, however brief her appearance! Ha, Nelly's explanation that they were still doing Rent but instead of AIDS everyone is a zombie cracked me up (and reminded me of the Fresh Off the Boat episode earlier this season where they did an unauthorized version of Rent so all the characters had the flu and the main character was named Brent).

I just loved every minute of that opener. It was everything I like about this show in two glorious minutes of awesome.

Well, of course, Johnny Frost is teaching sexual harassment seminars, because is so familiar with it.  Classic Johnny Frost! 

Was hands down my favourite scene ever. Actually, I lie. My hands down favourite scene was Rose McIver with her normal New Zealand accent doing a terrible American accent.  

On 10/04/2018 at 9:49 PM, Superclam said:

Help me out here - Nelly, the theater lady, was killed in the bus crash? Was that how Liv got to eat her brain? 

Yes.

On 17/04/2018 at 2:25 AM, RayAdverb said:

That's kind of a big stretch to assume they could just whip up a synthetic brain substitute easily.  

On 18/04/2018 at 2:48 AM, RayAdverb said:

The human brain has many regions, and its functions are spread out.  A chunk of temporal lobe and a chunk of parietal lobe do different things, and have nothing in common except being brain flesh.

I wonder if anyone has even considered using animal brains.  The people on this show are remarkably stupid and single minded.  Such as the medical examiner who found a cure for zombie-ism and then promptly forgot about it completely.

I've mentioned that the science in this makes no sense so they often forget to ask the most basic questions that a scientist would ask. Like, 'what is it about brains that zombies need'? We don't crave chocolate because of its inherent chocolateness. We crave chocolate because it has magnesium in it along with other stuff like caffeine and sugars. We don't need the whole of willow bark to cure our headache, just the aspirin. That's why we don't boil bark anymore but take an aspirin pill instead. They may not have to synthesise the entire brain if they isolate what it is they need from it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was so bored. What happened to this show? 

It was a complete waste of Rachel Bloom. 

I feel like the writers took a wild swing with New Seattle and they don't know what they're doing. I couldn't care less about Renegade and the smuggling. The ending where we saw that the people who had been smuggled in had illnesses or had been separated from their families and then all the sob stories that Liv was reading on the computer at the end were too little too late. The writers did a terrible job establishing why we should care about the smuggling. And it's hard to conjure those feelings retroactively.

Too many divided plotlines with Clive and Ravi and I just didn't care about any of it. It feels like the writers didn't either.

All the jokes about heroin addiction were kind of tasteless.

What? After all that, this is the confrontation between Blaine and his dad? If they're going to be this obsessed with family drama, I'm expecting some Empire level nonsense. Weak.

I don't know what's going on but it feels like they're floundering all of a sudden.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I feel like the writers took a wild swing with New Seattle and they don't know what they're doing. I could care less about Renegade and the smuggling. The ending where we saw that the people who had been smuggled in had illnesses or had been separated from their families and then all the sob stories that Liv was reading on the computer at the end were too little too late. The writers did a terrible job establishing why we should care about the smuggling. And it's hard to conjure those feelings retroactively.

This really sums up how I feel about this season. 

6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I feel like the writers took a wild swing with New Seattle and they don't know what they're doing. I could care less about Renegade and the smuggling. The ending where we saw that the people who had been smuggled in had illnesses or had been separated from their families and then all the sob stories that Liv was reading on the computer at the end were too little too late. The writers did a terrible job establishing why we should care about the smuggling. And it's hard to conjure those feelings retroactively.

If they'd had one of main, or even secondary characters, need to be smuggled in/out, or get a deadly disease, that would have made the whole smuggling gig very impactful, in my opinion. Put the people we already know and love (or like) at risk. Writing 101.

• Love 4

These shows always overshoot. They feel like each season has to be bigger but they don't have the budget for it so it ends up feeling smaller. I think iZombie is doing a way better job than its parallel shows did with the same ideas - Teen Wolf and The 100 come to mind. 

• Love 2