Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: More

• Start Topic

The team at St. Bonaventure needs to quickly discover the truth behind a young college student’s unexplained injuries before his condition worsens. Meanwhile, after losing his most prized possession, Shaun’s distraction during a surgical procedure may end up risking more than just his job. 

Andrews is a weasel, but who knew that I would adore Melendez by the end of the season?  I loved his conversation with Glassman.  He was genuinely concerned about him, and he was genuinely concerned about Shaun.  He knew something was "off" with him.  I also liked how he made the point with Morgan without bringing up Shaun's autism.  No doctor is ever going to be perfect all the time.  It's not possible.

I was not a fan of the good cop/bad cop routine because the resident (I'm blanking out on his name) frames almost everything in terms of being a cop first.  It's getting old.  Either be a cop or be a doctor, but right now it seems like he'd rather be a cop.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 17

I really hate Reznick. She’s not even the type of bitch that you find yourself kinda liking despite everything because they have charisma or wit or something, just a straight up bitch. I hope that’s the end of her character. The cop doctor can go too. Not feeling him.

I’m really glad they didn’t kill off Dr. Glassman. I was fully expecting it so I was definitely surprised at the end. It was good to see Jessica again too. I’d like to see more of her next season. 

I was really starting to warm up to Andrews so his behavior is disappointing but not surprising. Can’t say I’m looking forward to how that all plays out next season because we already know the answer. Boring.

Melendez showed the most growth throughout the season. Love him.

All in all a great first season. All involved should be proud.

• Love 20

Claire killed someone earlier this season. If they're going to fire Shaun, they have to fire Claire.

It's complicated, because on the one hand I get it: you don't want doctors getting a pass on killing people. On the other hand, look how many they save.

• Love 10

I'm glad a higher up finally put Reznick in her place. If she sticks around next year, I hope she mellows out.

I'm annoyed that there was no resolution to the Kenny problem, but I'd take all of the Glassman scenes over that douche in a heartbeat.

• Love 17
Just now, Zoe said:

I'm annoyed that there was no resolution to the Kenny problem, but I'd take all of the Glassman scenes over that douche in a heartbeat.

When Shaun first realized he'd lost his scalpel, I was briefly afraid we'd find out that Kenny took it, either intentionally or by accident, when taking his TV. Glad that wound up not being the case. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Claire killed someone earlier this season. If they're going to fire Shaun, they have to fire Claire.

It's complicated, because on the one hand I get it: you don't want doctors getting a pass on killing people. On the other hand, look how many they save.

I got the impression from Andrews' inqueries about Shaun and the positive responses that Andrews no longer sees Shaun as on probation and subject to being fired at the drop of a hat. He was also respectful toward Shaun at the fundraiser. I think he'll respect Shaun's honesty and how he fixed the problem and won't fire him.

I thought Graham Patrick Martin was underused. The Glassman flashback was well-done. Maybe next season the actor who played Shaun's brother will be available again to do more Shaun flashbacks.

• Love 4

Well, damn, that got emotional!  Glad that Glassman has a shot at surviving now, but it's still probably going to be a tough road for him (and Shaun.)  And while I don't think Andrews will use this to fire Shaun, I do see him using Glassman's sickness to make himself the new big boss.

Fun seeing a case that involved Melendez and all of the residents (including the newbies), and seeing the different types of interactions, strengths, and weaknesses.  Also surprised that they actually stuck with Shaun messing up, and him taking responsibility for it.  Obviously there was a lot going on with him, but hopefully he'll learn from this and continue to grow.

I do wonder if Reznick and Park are going to stick around, because it is feeling a bit crowded and despite some efforts, I'm still finding Reznick to be a bit one-dimensional with her mean attitude.  I mainly like Park just because he's Will Yun Lee, but I kind of feel like they're setting it up to have him fall due to not being able to remove the "cop" part out of his system.  That said, if anyone should be upgraded to regular status, it should be Lim/Christina Chang.

It feels like such a long time ago that I found Melendez to be a boring, arrogant dick.  They've really done a good job at making him become more than that, and instead be someone who doesn't treat Shaun with kid gloves, but still respects him and do what he can to help Shaun learn to be better.

All in all, a pretty good first season.  Not perfect as some of the supporting cast still needs work (mainly Jessica, Andrews, and especially Allegra) and the show can sometimes be too cheesy for its own good, but the cast is great and really gelling now, and the show seems to be steadily improving with its characterization and stories.  Still, the highlight is Freddie Highmore.  He was spectacular in all of this.  He better at least get an Emmy nod (although, I'm still pissed that he never got one for Bates Motel.)

• Love 18

I'm more than annoyed that the blurb insinuated Shaun was upset about the scalpel during the surgery rather than about Dr. Glassman. Glad he found it, though. Very touching scenes in the Glassman arc.

I also feel many of the characters are more likeable and have been well developed. I can wait until next season to see Kenny get what's good for him, lol.

• Love 6

So sad that season 1 has ended. It's going to seem like a long off-season waiting for this one to come back. So many great moments with many great characters. The two newbie residents can go though, particularly Morgan. Not a fan of her at all and I thought Melendez's parting words were powerful. She clearly needs a slice of humble pie.

I don't think Shaun will get fired but I do think that Andrews may make a play for Glassman's position because, well because he's Andrews. Out of curiousity, were we suppose to assume whether Andrews knew about Glassman's diagnosis at the point he went to the partner and reminded her of Glassman's promise regarding Shaun? Because that would be extra nasty to make a play if you knew the man was diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer.

Also on a random note - the doors to office where Shaun was going all genius in...are they supposed to be swinging doors? They didn't seem like it but then Glass pushed the door to get into the office, but also pushed the door to get out but Shaun pulled the door when leaving. So inconsequential but of course of all the things that could stick with me, the entry and exit of the office door is what got me, haha.

• Love 4

What a strong finale. A lot of heartwarming moments. They've really developed a lot of characters....and then left out some others. 

I'm really not liking Reznick. I'd love nothing more than for her character to just not come back for season 2. She's a straight up asshole, full stop. There's nothing really likable about her, and they haven't really bothered to show me why I should care about her. I don't care if she sometimes says something not mean. 99% of the time, I do not like her. There's not even layers with her as there are with other bitch-like characters. Park has more complexities than Reznick so if we had to keep one of them, I'd choose Park. That being said, finally Melendez shuts Reznick down and gives her a little bit of helpful advice. If we are stuck with her for season 2, hopefully she takes that advice and rolls with it. 

I'm thrilled they didn't just kill off Glassman in the finale. Not that I thought they would, but I was afraid of it ending on a more sour note. Not that Glassman's chances of surviving are high or anything, and he could still die (and I suspect he might die in season 2), but they ended it with him deciding to fight for more time. I can't expect him to live for the entire series, unfortunately for me. They gave him a very grim diagnosis, so him surviving past the three/four months he's been given is a gift in itself. Shaun's reaction throughout the whole finale was touching. Him being distracted and quieter than usual was a nice touch. I love how Melendez recognized that there was something wrong, still stood up for Shaun in front of the other doctors, before going to Glassman himself to ask what was going on. 

Oh, Andrews. I was growing to tolerate you until you reminded me why I disliked you in the first place. However, I like that they actually had him stick to his guns when it came to Shaun and Glassman. I think, when Andrews learns about Shaun's mistake and Glassman's illness, he may not fire Shaun, but he'll take over Glassman's role. Either that, or he will fire Shaun and Melendez will find a reason to keep him around.

I noted Jared trying to take the fall for the incident, which is interesting. Part of me wonders if the actor may not stick around in season 2. He's gotten a job offer elsewhere, he's willing to take the fall, etc. They seem to be setting up for something there, if the actor chooses not to return next season. Which is a shame, because I do like Jared.

Yes! This is probably the first episode in a while where Claire didn't have any bad luck hit her! Yay! Granted, she was more of a supporting character to Shaun and Glassman's story, but it was a nice change of pace to see a happy Claire with no emotional burden. 

I still don't totally understand Jessica and Glassman's history together, but it was sweet for her to care about him. Richard Schiff did a really excellent job, as did Freddie Highmore. This definitely became one of my favourites of the season, especially since they cut down to only one patient of the week and focused on our actual characters. 

What a great first season. It had its ups and downs, but I grew to really like the show. I can't wait for season 2.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Either be a cop or be a doctor, but right now it seems like he'd rather be a cop.

Park is one of my favorites.  The same thing happened as a teacher.  The coach and I had to do the good cop-bad cop routine when working in public school.  It works.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not that Glassman's chances of surviving are high or anything, and he could still die (and I suspect he might die in season 2), but they ended it with him deciding to fight for more time. I can't expect him to live for the entire series, unfortunately for me. They gave him a very grim diagnosis, so him surviving past the three/four months he's been given is a gift in itself.

On 'St. Elsehwere', Dr. Auschlander, the heart and soul of St. Eligius, was on death's door throughout the series run, but made it to the final episode, where he died.  Norman Lloyd, who portrayed Auschlander, is alive at age 103 (and, I just read, attended the World Series in October)!  So there is precedent. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 13

Please excuse me for being crass, but NO doctor is excellent. Far from it. All of them have had to deal with a death of a patient or during surgery at one point or another.  For Andrews to hold this over Shaun's and Glassman's head for the rest or either one's career is next to impossible and rather god like expectations.  Plus, Shaun has saved more lives than caused harm or done medicore work. 

Best character growth overall has to be Melendez.  He went from doctor douchebag to a Shaun supporter.  Andrews continues to be a prick. Reznick continues to be a pain know it all. I loved the chat that Melendez had with her.

Does anyone know what happened to Glassman's daughter? Did she die? Was it after he took Shaun in? Before? What are the circumstances of her passing?

• Love 8

I get what they were trying to accomplish with the main case but the "ooh Shaun messed up" and all the discussions around it felt overly dramatic for some reason.  It isn't like we've not seen doctors make mistakes that put the patient in jeopardy only for them to discover it later and correct it.  It just felt like a plot point for no other reason than to clear the way for Andrews to take over the presidency of the hospital because Shaun made the mistake.  The only person on the team who really needed to care that it was Shaun who made the mistake was Resnick, for obvious reasons.  Everyone being so concerned about the outcome of an M&M review at that point seemed precipitous and a little out of character.

It would have had more dramatic impact and made more sense if the fact of it being Shaun who almost caused a patient to die because of a mistake, is something that Andrews on his own decided to was important enough to use as the stick to remove Glassman from the presidency, independent of what Melendez and the team did to treat the patient.

Oh well, it is a moot point.  I still like Andrews even they want us to probably think he's going back to villain mode.  They've done enough over the course of the season to give him layers and to make him a lot more sympathetic than he was at the start of the season.  I think it was pretty clear that he has had a change of heart over Shaun but was still gunning for Glassman.  Not that it matters, Glassman's brain cancer treatment would almost certainly require him to step down for a time from his responsibilities anyway.  So it is a bit of a hollow victory for Andrews.

Resnick has not grown at all.  If anything she is showing her colors in front of Melendez now which is an oddly bad move for someone who is so calculating and manipulative.  I just can't stand her.  And her "he should not be working here" is just so tone deaf.  Not just because it exposes her prejudice against Shaun because of his disability.  But because she supposedly fights against the same sort of thing because of her "privileged" identity and the idea that she is not deserving of being there because of her own merits.  Awful, awful character.

Overall, a strong season and an enjoyable show that actually made the character evolve and grow over the course of the season. 

• Love 6

I wish they had ended with a  shot of the rest of the team celebrating instead of with the "going to the reckoning."   Couldn't they have shown them celebrating and then leaving to go to the reckoning?  Can't believe the speculation about whether or not he will get fired.....of course he won't because then they would not have a show.  At this point it is about what will happen to him.  I can't see Glassman keeping his job at least on a temporary basis just due to the treatment he will have to receive.  If anything I could see Andrews becoming "acting" and then there is some type of power struggle after Glassman recovers. 

I think the former girlfriend/fiance is one cast member that would not be missed.  Years ago when I watched Grey's Anatomy it seems as if there were just as many characters or more, so I think it is more about spreading out the storylines, etc.   I don't need to have all "nice" people, but I think the issue with Resnick is the actress. I appreciate writing some people as "in your face" instead of the subtle manipulation, but in this instance I wish they had gone that route. 

I hope the don't just drop the Kenny issue and start the next year saying he moved out.  I think it is important to show how Shaun deals with that situation, whether it is being easily duped or standing up for himself.   

I hope Jared stays, but if cast size or salary is an issue, it will be interesting to see who they get rid of.  Park doesn't bother me at all. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Does anyone know what happened to Glassman's daughter? Did she die? Was it after he took Shaun in? Before? What are the circumstances of her passing?

He said that Jessica knew Glassman longer which would probably put her being friends with his daughter in their late teens/early 20's at the latest.  At least I'm assuming that's what the connection is--they've been really scant on all the details.

• Love 2

Best character growth overall has to be Melendez.  He went from doctor douchebag to a Shaun supporter.  Andrews continues to be a prick. Reznick continues to be a pain know it all. Iloved the chat that Melendez had with her.

Reznick has none of the humor of CTB from House...or maybe Anne Dudek is just a superior actress. Reznick just comes off as a stuck up little snot who always gets what she wants. I like that Melendez not only made it clear that someday there will be consequences, but did it in a gentle/ appropriate way that fit his personality. He has really grown on me and not just because the show wants us to cheer for him since he is watching out for Shawn. He seems more comfortable as a teacher and mentor than he was at the beginning. On the other hand, I figured that he would have said, "tonight we celebrate that the kid lived, but tomorrow we have to deal with all the consequences."

Yeah, they seem to be taking the This is Us approach of building up to the massive pain. This show does not deal in "little pain"-needs to be overriding! Please tell me that there is not an urn with her ashes that he is lugging around.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

My impression is that she committed suicide.

• Love 3

That was a super emotional episode, but I am so freaking happy that Glassman didn't get killed off! "I like you." "I like you more". I just couldn't handle that, Shaun has lost too many people already damn it, and Glassman still has a lot of potential as a character. Really strong end to a strong season, so glad that I decided to give this a shot, despite being rather burned out on medical dramas in general. I came for Freddie, and while Freddie is still the highlight, I've come to love all the supporting characters (well, most of them) and have gotten really invested in the story. Cant wait to come back next Fall! 

The one character I just cant stand is Reznick. She sucks, and not in a fan, love to hate way. She is just a super unpleasant person who I want gone, and maybe, if we are super lucky, will be gone by next year. I did enjoy her getting told off, and I do love that no one stands for her bullshit. 

On the other side of the spectrum, Melendez has really come along way as a character, and in ways that totally make sense. He started out as an arrogant asshole, but I think realizing that he was wrong about Shaun caused him to gain some perspective, and now that he sees that he really is a good surgeon, he is one of his biggest supporters, as well as a good doctor and leader/mentor towards the rest of the younger doctors. I love the guy now, when in the first few episodes, I hoped that he would get a job transfer soon. 

It was cool seeing everyone working together, and seeing all the different dynamics between the characters and everyone brainstorming together. Jared wanting to take the fall for Shaun was interesting, was it because he figured that he wouldn't get fired? Or is it because he already got another job? I hope not, because I want him around for season 2, I like him, and I want to see how he deals with some clear anger issues he has. Park has grown on me a bit (I liked him and Jared playing good cop/bad cop) but in the future, he really needs to look at problems like a doctor, and not a cop. He really seems to struggle with that whole "do no harm" thing. And, hey, an episode where Claire isnt traumatized! Thats nice! I hope she takes a personal day soon, she needs some serious self care after the few months shes had. 

Those flashbacks with Glassman made my heart hurt. I think it was implied his daughter killed himself, but it hasn't really been talked about, has it? I assume he took Shaun in after her death, and Shaun became his surrogate kid. I also liked everyone else`s reactions to Glassmans death, it was all really well done without being melodramatic. 

"You think another autistic surgeon will break a nerve from a guy who ate dry cleaning because he was upset about his mentor having terminal brain cancer?!?!". That cracked me up, not gonna lie. 

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

"You think another autistic surgeon will break a nerve from a guy who ate dry cleaning because he was upset about his mentor having terminal brain cancer?!?!". That cracked me up, not gonna lie. 

For an emotional episode, there were a lot of funny moments throughout :D. I loved the scene where Shaun was trying to get Jessica to trick Glassman into getting another opinion on his illness-he said something about how he's not a lawyer, and doesn't have experience with lying and manipulation. I was so caught up in the emotional nature of their discussion that it took me a second to realize Shaun had basically made a lawyer joke there, and then it hit me and I laughed out loud. 

• Love 8

Shaun saying matter-of-factly that he has to go drinking will never not be funny. Also loved his unintentional shading of Jessica re: lying and manipulation. I'm still not 100% loving this show because of the overwrought dramatics, but I keep coming back for Freddie Highmore's portrayal of Shaun.

32 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

That was my impression as well. When Jessica told Glassman that his daughter would have wanted him to fight, he replied sarcastically "what, like she never quit?" I took her "quitting" as a euphemism for suicide.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, AriAu said:

Reznick has none of the humor of CTB from House...or maybe Anne Dudek is just a superior actress. Reznick just comes off as a stuck up little snot who always gets what she wants. I like that Melendez not only made it clear that someday there will be consequences, but did it in a gentle/ appropriate way that fit his personality. He has really grown on me and not just because the show wants us to cheer for him since he is watching out for Shawn. He seems more comfortable as a teacher and mentor than he was at the beginning. On the other hand, I figured that he would have said, "tonight we celebrate that the kid lived, but tomorrow we have to deal with all the consequences."

I think the issue with Reznick is that they aren't trying as hard to make her likable as they did with CTB. I do think Anne Dudek is a better actress, but Amber had more layers right off the bat. She wasn't just a straight up bitch; she played it coyly. I think, with Melendez calling Reznick out finally, it could actually do wonders to her character, like it did with Amber when House called her out early on. I think Reznick has been too obvious and not subtle enough. Also, I care so very little about her having rich parents. 

Melendez really has grown as a character, faster than most characters I've seen. He's really grown to actually like Shaun and be a great mentor for him. Who knew that the Melendez we met in the pilot would actually be fighting to protect Shaun and his career by the finale? 

30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Park has grown on me a bit (I liked him and Jared playing good cop/bad cop) but in the future, he really needs to look at problems like a doctor, and not a cop. He really seems to struggle with that whole "do no harm" thing.

He definitely is still too much of a cop and not enough as a doctor. That'll be his personal struggle for the rest of his run, if he even comes back next season. Depending on network reception, he may just conveniently disappear in the premiere. I've seen shows do that, especially with newer characters. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

Yeah, there is a scene between Jessica and Glassman early in the season where they were sitting at the sidelines of a track and they talked cryptically about the daughter on the 13th anniversary of her death.  Jessica and his daughter were best friends, both on the track team.  At one point Jessica says she was practically living at their house back then. They both talk regretfully about the daughter about "giving her space".  Glassman talks a lot of maybes "maybe if I had been on her more."  So that made me think she did something to herself.

But then.. I think there is more mystery there even with Jessica herself because she says "maybe if I hadn't..." then Glassman jumps in and says  "you were both teenagers and you were both idiots.  You got lucky and she didn't."  So maybe then I thought drugs?  An OD maybe where the girls dabbled and Jessica got straight but the daughter stayed hooked?  Whatever the case, it sounds like the daughter gave up either through a straight suicide or something else.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3

Fantastic twist at the end with Glassman!!! He is gonna LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! YAY! :) I am so glad Shaun was right!!!!!!!  That blonde doctor who wants Shaun gone, has got to go!!! GAH!

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Glassman confronting Shaun and snapping at him

Yeah that scene when he yelled at Shaun to stop talking, made me cry!!! :(

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 3

Yeah that scene when he yelled at Shaun to stop talking, made me cry!!! :(

Richard Schiff is a great actor and he portrayed his emotions in so many ways...but that was a little over the top to me...or maybe it was just that I saw him do that scene a few times in The West Wing in pretty similar ways, including his fight with Josh in Drought Conditions which featured papers being thrown! His facial expressions are just so true to what is going on.

And I could have done without him and the bad hair piece!

The way Reznick doesn't believe in Shaun reminds me of how Melendez was towards Shaun at the start of the season. Of course Melendez wasn't unpleasant to everyone for no reason like Reznick is, so we all hoped that Shaun would show enough to make him realize he was wrong (and it looks like Shaun did just that, as it was actually Melendez leading the defense of Shaun to her). Reznick IS unpleasant to people for no reason, the way she criticized Claire for showing kindness towards patients when she first appeared was really disturbing. Melendez telling her that when she screwed up as bad as what she was wanting the whistle blown on Shaun for, that he hoped for her sake that fellow doctors still believed in her was great, and well deserved on Reznick's part. I'm not sure it will sink in to her though.

Well..... There is hope for Glassman to live, but it's still gonna be big hurdles. At least Shaun won't lose him for the time being.

• Love 3

Two scenes really stood out for me.

Sometimes, when you are trying to have a deep and heartfelt conversation with an autistic person, they will respond with something that has nothing to do with the conversation and make you feel frustrated, wondering if they were paying attention at all or just being polite and sitting there in their own world. When Shaun was sitting with Glassman on the carousel, I wondered how much Shaun was actually listening, and he seemed thrilled to get the call to go back to the hospital. I think that Glassman wondered too.

Later, when they were heading up to Andrew's office, Shaun told Glassman "I love you more." Glassman was touched to have Shaun say that to him, and realized that Shaun was indeed listening. 

The other scene I liked was when Shaun ran over to Glassman and hugged him. Shaun hates hugging, so that was huge that Shaun actually wanted a hug and shows how much he truly loves Glassman.

Both scenes brought tears to my eyes.  I really like the layers they have given the character of Shaun and it shows their research.  Well done show!

• Love 24

god dammit!  When Shaun hugged Glassman I cried like a baby... and if any of y'all tell anyone I'll cut your hearts out!  That was a damn fine episode. 

Edited by CandyKat
missed a word
  • Love 16

I really didn’t expect to enjoy this show as much as I have. I truly think they did a great job over the entire season, evolving characters and making us care about them (except Reznick. And Andrews was a little too “mustache twirling villain” these last two episodes for my liking). I did not expect to shed so many tears in this episode. The hug. The “I love you more”. The fact that Glassman has a better chance at survival. I loved all of it. 

And Shaun’s straightforward “I have to go drinking” was just so great. Almost as great as his smiling experiment last week. I only know Freddie from Finding Neverland and I think I’m too much of a wuss for Bates Motel, but I might give it a chance because the kid is really just so great. And I’m glad he found his toy scalpel (but I thought there was going to be more of a story there). 

Really gonna miss this show. Excited for next season! 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, AriAu said:

I like that Melendez not only made it clear that someday there will be consequences, but did it in a gentle/ appropriate way that fit his personality. He has really grown on me and not just because the show wants us to cheer for him since he is watching out for Shawn. He seems more comfortable as a teacher and mentor than he was at the beginning. On the other hand, I figured that he would have said, "tonight we celebrate that the kid lived, but tomorrow we have to deal with all the consequences

I also liked when Melendez reminded the audience that ultimately, he was in charge of everyone in the OR.  I really felt for him in that moment, and I cheered for Shaun to have also recognized the gravity of the moment and want to take it on to spare Melendez.  I also miss Jessica and Neil as a couple.  I understand Jessica's point and am not saying that she or Neil should change their minds.  I just liked them together, and it's a shame that things didn't work out between them.  Sometimes, something can be understandable but yet also still sad.

Add me to the ditch Resnick camp.  Kenny can also go, bring back Lea immediately (loved that Neil has paid attention and remembered her), and if there's a choice between Park and Jared, I vote for Jared.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

That was my impression as well. When Jessica told Glassman that his daughter would have wanted him to fight, he replied sarcastically "what, like she never quit?" I took her "quitting" as a euphemism for suicide.

I went the other way with that.  Instead of suicide, I thought he might be saying that she had a terminal illness and decided not to continue treatment.  Glassman was initially very adamant that he didn't want lots of treatment.  I sort of got the sense that it might be him gaining some sort of understanding that related to what happened with his daughter.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, there is a scene between Jessica and Glassman early in the season where they were sitting at the sidelines of a track and they talked cryptically about the daughter on the 13th anniversary of her death.  Jessica and his daughter were best friends, both on the track team.  At one point Jessica says she was practically living at their house back then. They both talk regretfully about the daughter about "giving her space".  Glassman talks a lot of maybes "maybe if I had been on her more."  So that made me think she did something to herself.

But then.. I think there is more mystery there even with Jessica herself because she says "maybe if I hadn't..." then Glassman jumps in and says  "you were both teenagers and you were both idiots.  You got lucky and she didn't."  So maybe then I thought drugs?  An OD maybe where the girls dabbled and Jessica got straight but the daughter stayed hooked?  Whatever the case, it sounds like the daughter gave up either through a straight suicide or something else.

Maybe drunk driving? That'd be one way to get lucky. Maybe the daughter called Glassman from a party to get picked up, he missed the call due to surgery or something, then the daughter got a ride from a drunken kid - or they got hit by a drunken kid on the way home.

2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I went the other way with that.  Instead of suicide, I thought he might be saying that she had a terminal illness and decided not to continue treatment.  Glassman was initially very adamant that he didn't want lots of treatment.  I sort of got the sense that it might be him gaining some sort of understanding that related to what happened with his daughter.

I was thinking it was cancer.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

I had the funniest thought when I read the summary that his prized possession was his new TV.

I had the same thought! I'm a bit ashamed now, because the scalpel fits the description so much more, of course.

I don't know why exactly, but I had a feeling Glassman's daughter overdosed on drugs (which is a form of suicide, I guess).

What a good ending to a good season. I'm with everybody else on the amount of character growth for mostly everyone in the span of 18 episodes, with maybe the exception of Reznick who is still pretty much one-note villain. All actors are really good. Really looking forward to Season 2 (there will be a Season 2, right?).

• Love 2

They are giving us Glassman's back story in dribs and drabs. He was living in San Jose when his daughter was little as he said he used to take her to the same carousel where he and Shaun were riding in the present. He is also a neurosurgeon. Something happened (probably his daughter's death) that caused him to go to Montana to basically become a country doctor where he met Shaun. Then something else happened which caused him to come back to San Jose to become president of a major hospital. Lots of empty spaces in the story. I hope we find out more in the second season.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
Because the phrase is dribs, not drips. Learn something new every day.
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Sarnia said:

Really looking forward to Season 2 (there will be a Season 2, right?).

Yes, there will :). The show was officially renewed a few weeks back. 

Regarding the discussion about Glassman and Jessica, the moment in the episode when she brought up his daughter and he was instantly like, "Don't you dare." got to me. The quiet way he said that really drove home just how deep and painful the loss still was for him, all these years later, and I liked the subtle way Schiff played that reaction. 

• Love 3

I’m glad Glassman is going to be around, at least for a while.  I’m really interested in learning more about his backstory, his daughter and how the relationship with Shaun developed. 

@UGAmp concerning Bates Motel, I don’t know you, so I have no idea what your TV viewing tastes are, but Bates Motel is not all horror and gore, not at all.  It has a certain charm to it, especially early on, and even though it is billed as a drama, I would consider more of a dark comedy, and Freddie is absolutely brilliant as are his costars.  It definitely has its chilling moments though, and it seems each season gets a little darker than the last. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Fable said:

@UGAmp concerning Bates Motel, I don’t know you, so I have no idea what your TV viewing tastes are, but Bates Motel is not all horror and gore, not at all.  It has a certain charm to it, especially early on, and even though it is billed as a drama, I would consider more of a dark comedy, and Freddie is absolutely brilliant as are his costars.  It definitely has its chilling moments though, and it seems each season gets a little darker than the last. 

Echoing all of this. Good description. 

• Love 2

This was, for me, a relatively satisfying conclusion to the first season.  First I had to get over over my hope from the brilliant first few episodes that this was going to be a complex, somewhat sophisticated (for primetime TV) series about the psychological/emotional evolution of an autistic young man navigating life, relationships, and career.  Early on, it seemed that story would unfold with Shaun and Glassman's relationship at its center, both of whom are outstanding actors and have great chemistry together.  Then Glassman was sidelined for most of the series and Shaun's role became mostly an equal part of an ensemble cast.  The show essentially devolved (for me) into a hospital procedural, and, worse of all, the writers started dropping anvils on my head about transphobia, Islamophobia, workplace sexual harassment, and other hot-in-Hollywood topics du jour. 

I almost gave up on it, but Highmore's acting kept bringing me back.  The finale kind of returned to its roots...a show about Shaun Murphy, with Glassman as his mentor/father figure/friend.  It was enough to make me tune in for Season 2.  And, yes, I did cry when Shaun hugged Glassman, and when he said "I love you more".

• Love 4

So much dust flying thru the air here that I could barely see the tv at the end......

"...I love you more"

"...I have to go drinking"

laughing thru the dust....

Can't wait for next year and I am shocked that this is far and away my favorite new show....I thought I was sick of medical shows!

Lovely work from everyone really, even when some writing/story lines were a bit overwrought, it still all came together.

Great story telling!

• Love 6

I mostly agree with everyone about the episode. In today's world of TV, it's pretty rare to have a season finale that leaves you wanting more but doesn't resort to the cheap shot of a cliffhanger. 

I hated both Melendez and Jared at the beginning of the series and now kind of like Melendez and only mostly hate Jared. Their growth through the episodes (as opposed to some sudden epiphany that turns them into more likable characters over the course of a 5 minute scene) has been well done. I look forward to Andrews being the bad guy again (hopefully). He did a great job as the greasy snake who would smile at you, pat you on the back and then stick a knife between your ribs. Having him change his entire outlook on his ambitions because he respects Shaun is a little too Pollyanna for me. Bring back the snake!!

Like everyone else feels, I think the CTB 2.0 is no CTB. It's the difference between someone who is likable but so competitive she can be nasty to people and someone who is not particularly likable and is nasty to people as a matter of course and happens to be competitive. 

Here's the point of departure where I imagine I'll upset everyone:

In the pilot, I was blown away by the actor playing Shaun. That performance was one where if no one had said the word 'autistic' (instead of saying it 32,336 times, if memory serves), I'd still have thought Shaun was autistic. This impression remained the same for the first handful of episodes, with me being blown away again each time (I actually had to Google to see if the guy was actually autistic). 

Since about the time he started getting to know the delicious, delicious Lea, he's been progressively twitchier and twitchier. The character no longer strikes me as an autistic person. Now, I get the impression of a blind actor trying to portray a sighted person and who imagines sighted people spend all their time trying to look all around the room constantly like a schizophrenic bobble head. 

I'm hoping this is a deliberate move by a brilliant actor to set up further character progression. If so, I look forward to next season and how Shaun deals with:

His heretofore hidden meth addiction, the struggle of a rapidly progressing neuromuscular disease or his new breakdancing hobby for which he's been subtly practicing his pop'n'lock moves at work. 

Oh, also I'm disappointed with Claire. While some characters have grown, this one has gone backward. From a super intuitive ball of compassion in a tasty snack sized package, she's just devolved to the point that the IV stands are slightly more interesting than she in the last few episodes. 

Anyway, I do love the show. TV is so lackluster these days that it's rare for me to find a show good enough that it's worth analyzing and criticizing. 

Edited by sam12six
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2018 at 2:41 AM, thuganomics85 said:

if anyone should be upgraded to regular status, it should be Lim/Christina Chang.

I agree whole-heartedly! Before the show's premiere, I thought she was supposed to be a lead. She's hardly a presence at all!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SweetTooth said:
On 3/28/2018 at 5:08 AM, Sarnia said:

I had the same thought! I'm a bit ashamed now, because the scalpel fits the description so much more, of course.

Right? But seriously, at first glance, that was the only object I could think of. I guess I was projecting?

I think we're all just relieved that the toy scalpel wasn't found in  the patient's mesenteric artery!

• Love 9
On 3/27/2018 at 8:40 PM, UGAmp said:

And Shaun’s straightforward “I have to go drinking” was just so great. Almost as great as his smiling experiment last week. I only know Freddie from Finding Neverland and I think I’m too much of a wuss for Bates Motel, but I might give it a chance because the kid is really just so great. And I’m glad he found his toy scalpel (but I thought there was going to be more of a story there). 

That "drinking" line was great! I really admire Freddie Highmore's ability to toss out lines like that in a completely unforced way with a totally straight face. One of my pet peeves with less talented actors is when they're supposed to say a funny line in a straight manner, but the actor gives away that they're in on the joke - takes me right out of the scene. Freddie Highmore is so great at staying in character!

Also, I want to chime in with everyone else who recommends watching "Bates Motel" - Highmore and Vera Farmiga are so very excellent in that show and the rest of the supporting cast are great too. The show really did a great job of showing Norman Bates' evolution and making both him and his mother disturbing, frightening, yet very sympathetic characters. The final season was heartbreaking.

• Love 6

was I the only one who loved Melendez from the get go?

As opposed to Reznik, he had a reason to be suspicious of Shaun, like he said, he's responsible for everything that his residents do. He didn't really "grow" as a character, he just started trusting Shaun. Melendez was always a good mentor/teacher to his "normal" residents.  He didn't have to believe that some random autistic kid is a genius surgeon.  Yes, he WAS arrogant, and he still is. He also still is a great doctor and teacher.

I'm surprised how many people "suddenly" like him. He was my fav character right away (ok... so him being hot helped... a bit... lol)

• Love 4
On 3/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, AEMom said:

The other scene I liked was when Shaun ran over to Glassman and hugged him. Shaun hates hugging, so that was huge that Shaun actually wanted a hug and shows how much he truly loves Glassman.

It was even better for me because Glassman is one of the few who gets how much it means for Shaun to hug, much less initiate a hug so fiercely.

• Love 6

Smile was wonderful, but More was GOLDEN. Up until now, I haven't wanted to watch an episode more than once or twice.  I think I have seen this one 4 or 5 times, and got misty each time. Richard and Freddie are wonderful together, especially when their respective characters express deep emotions.  I can feel the despair that Glassman expressed when he said he wanted to eat pancakes and watch football, and have fun.  And that hug between them as Shaun said "You will live!"

I finally figured out why that was the name of this episode (sorry, I am not as quick as Shaun).  Both Shaun and Glassman's daughter said "I love you MORE."

I hope that they will not make Glassman step down altogether, but maybe he could be in a less responsible capacity and Murphy can be a kind of assistant, while Glassman undergoes cancer treatment.  And in the meantime, Andrews could find himself having to go to Glassman for help or consultation.

• Love 3