Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Joe and Kendra Say I Do

• Start Topic

I haven't watched this show all the way through an episode in years, but the snark here got me curious enough to take the plunge with this episode. I fast forwarded an awful lot and ended up watching this two-hour show in less than 25 minutes. I was mainly interested in the meatball incident and the talking heads. 

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said about the meatball segment, but I must say that I was semi-horrified at how awful just about everyone looked in the talking heads. Does TLC not care about the production values for this show anymore? I remember the lighting and presentation being much better a few years back. Now production seems to go out of their way to show every clogged pore and bit of razor burn. Austin in particular looked terrible, though I am comparing him to still photos that have probably been airbrushed. He truly looked unappealing with his messy hair and disheveled look, and his nostrils looked gigantic from the camera angle. He looked as though he had just rolled out of bed...oh wait.

Even Jeremy and Jinger, the best looking of the talking heads imo, did not have flattering lighting in the talking heads. In the dinner scene, however, Jeremy and Jinger looked fantastic compared to the rest of the family. Jinger looked so cute in that hat, and their clothes looked clean and neatly pressed. Everyone else looked dowdy in comparison.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Saw a video where they described the log house as being “across the field “ from the main house .  Not sure what that amounts to in Duggar distance.

I remember posting it in the JoKen thread

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 1
(edited)

Do you think their contractor friend is licensed?  Is he also a licensed mason?   I can't imagine having these untrained goons laying cinder blocks for the FOUNDATION of the house. And it looks like a pretty tall foundation at that.  REAL masons/bricklayers  go thru years of training. (I grew up next door to a great one & have also learned what goes into building a building from my son who works in an architect's office. It's mainly common sense - LICENSED plumbers do the plumbing, LICENSED electricians do the electrical work, LICENSED masons do the brickwork, etc. Yes, they all have laborers & apprentices working with them but each firm is still ultimately responsible for their own work & they are properly trained.) 

Will God save the log cabin from sliding down the hill during a gully washer type of storm? Or will protect them from being electrocuted since Joe & Jeremiah did the electrical work? I sure hope so. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes the Rapture  may occur  any  moment , but we should  take care  of the earth  that God has given  us, also the "moment  " is in God's time frame  not ours even  more reason  to be careful  with God's creation . 

I couldn't agree with you more. . . but there's a whole segment of the population that dismisses caring for our planet and environment simply because they figure the Rapture will make it all meaningless. ICK.

• Love 8
On 4/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Temperance said:

I don't remember that ever being one of their rules. I remember there were rules about salary and income which they have broken freely, but beyond using the same income to pay for rent/morgage etc. I don't remember them ever having a rule that the husband should provide a home.

They have talked about it and it may be in one of their books. Part of their whole Gothard debt free stance is that men should be financially secure before marriage. Because they believe debt is evil, the natural conclusion is an impossible one in the real world-- to be able to buy a house free and clear at that age. Of course, with a controlling dad like Jim Bob with connections, you can make it happen with extra properties, etc., but it's just another example of how their rigid beliefs fail in the real world. They look down their noses at people with mortgages. Well, most of us don't have reality shows and bestselling books solely based on the fact that we fathered/popped out a ridiculous number of kids!

• Love 8
(edited)

I once heard a fundie talk about how a teenager could work at a sandwich shop 20 hours a week and save all their money and have enough money to then pay for a house in full in ten years. I guess if you have to shell any of that sandwich shop money out in the meantime to pay for rent, food, and bills instead of leeching off of someone else, them's the bricks! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Zella said:

I once heard a fundie talk about how a teenager could work at a sandwich shop 20 hours a week and save all their money and have enough money to then pay for a house in full in ten years. I guess if you have to shell any of that sandwich shop money out in the meantime to pay for rent, food, and bills instead of leeching off of someone else, them's the bricks! 

I guess it's too bad, so sad if you don't live in a low cost-of-living area, too. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Heathen said:

I guess it's too bad, so sad if you don't live in a low cost-of-living area, too. 

For sure! I have a friend who lives in the California Bay Area. (I live in Arkansas.) When she told me how much a down payment was out there compared to here, I nearly died. No part-time salary from a sandwich shop, no matter how diligently saved, is going to cover that!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Zella said:

For sure! I have a friend who lives in the California Bay Area. (I live in Arkansas.) When she told me how much a down payment was out there compared to here, I nearly died. No part-time salary from a sandwich shop, no matter how diligently saved, is going to cover that!

Bay Area resident here. You could easily buy a decent house, all cash, in many parts of the US for what a down payment costs here. Even the tiniest of what would probably be considered "starter homes" costs over $1 million in my immediate area. The market is insane.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, SnarkyShark said:

Bay Area resident here. You could easily buy a decent house, all cash, in many parts of the US for what a down payment costs here. Even the tiniest of what would probably be considered "starter homes" costs over $1 million in my immediate area. The market is insane.

When my friend told me that she would likely never be able to afford a down payment, I thought she was just being pessimistic because she probably makes 3-4x my salary. I was going to try to encourage her to still give it a try if that's what she wanted. But after she told me a down payment there could easily be $250,000 or more, I didn't try to argue with her. Where I am, you can easily get a nice place with a down payment of about $30,000-50,000 and a not-so-nice place for half that. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Zella said:

This justifies their belief that unmarried adults should live with their parents. The women are supposed to be practicing their homemaking skills and building their hope chests for marriage. The men are supposed to be self-employed and saving for their first home. Neither sex can be trusted to live outside their parent's umbrella because apparently, Satan is stronger than Jesus.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

This justifies their belief that unmarried adults should live with their parents. The women are supposed to be practicing their homemaking skills and building their hope chests for marriage. The men are supposed to be self-employed and saving for their first home. Neither sex can be trusted to live outside their parent's umbrella because apparently, Satan is stronger than Jesus.

Yes! It was definitely a son in the example, not a daughter.

He also believed in family owned businesses, which made me wonder what you were supposed to do if you had no business sense or skill. I also couldn't figure out how that squared with the sandwich shop nonsense or why he was so oddly specific about the sandwich shop. It boggles the mind.

17 hours ago, Zella said:

He also believed in family owned businesses, which made me wonder what you were supposed to do if you had no business sense or skill. I also couldn't figure out how that squared with the sandwich shop nonsense or why he was so oddly specific about the sandwich shop. It boggles the mind.

Talking about sandwich shops makes JB think about Michelle's line about 'anyone can make him a sandwich, but only YOU. . . " and HEY HEY HEY?

• Love 4
On 4/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, Barb23 said:

Do you think their contractor friend is licensed?  Is he also a licensed mason?   I can't imagine having these untrained goons laying cinder blocks for the FOUNDATION of the house. And it looks like a pretty tall foundation at that.  REAL masons/bricklayers  go thru years of training. (I grew up next door to a great one & have also learned what goes into building a building from my son who works in an architect's office. It's mainly common sense - LICENSED plumbers do the plumbing, LICENSED electricians do the electrical work, LICENSED masons do the brickwork, etc. Yes, they all have laborers & apprentices working with them but each firm is still ultimately responsible for their own work & they are properly trained.) 

Will God save the log cabin from sliding down the hill during a gully washer type of storm? Or will protect them from being electrocuted since Joe & Jeremiah did the electrical work? I sure hope so. 

Do I understand correctly that Kendra and Joe have moved into this log house? And the boys were shown dragging electricity to the house in preparation for JoKen? So Gramma Mary never ended up living there? I wonder why and I wonder where she's living now. People sometimes say she's living with Deanna, but Amy recently said Mary has her own place (in Instagram comments). 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, LilJen said:

Talking about sandwich shops makes JB think about Michelle's line about 'anyone can make him a sandwich, but only YOU. . . " and HEY HEY HEY?

Hmm there's definitely a sandwich fixation! LOL

Edited by Zella
11 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Do I understand correctly that Kendra and Joe have moved into this log house? And the boys were shown dragging electricity to the house in preparation for JoKen? So Gramma Mary never ended up living there? I wonder why and I wonder where she's living now. People sometimes say she's living with Deanna, but Amy recently said Mary has her own place (in Instagram comments). 

The log cabin was still a wreck when it was shown on this episode but this was before their wedding.  It would be nice if Joken could give us an update if it's done by now or will be before the baby is born.  Like I posted before, maybe they are living in the Forsyth trailer on the Duggar property. Or maybe they are living in the Duggar Guest House, the warehouse one that was nice & not Ben's old room.